Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, KeithJ said:

This is only the second season I've watched but is Joe always such an ass?  I noticed it a bit last season but even just two episodes in this year, he seems worse.

Yes. Joe has always been a jerk/mean.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

After the first apronextravaganza, I decided not to bother until that part was over. Boring, yes. Also, these guys feel the need to react to the people they bounce. And, none of the three are people I'd cross the street to see. Gordon has too many ticks, Joe plays a prick and Arooon-- ick.

Spot on to the posters who've seen the UK or Canadian versions. Haven't seen the NZ  one, but previous winners (twin women) now have a travel/cooking show on So Yummy.

5 hours ago, preeya said:

Here she is on Worst Cooks:

Oh yeah!  I remember her now.  So she was a Worst Cook and now thinks she might be a Master Chef.  Hmmm.  Could it be that she just wants to be on TV?

• Love 10
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm blanking on the IT person's name, who didn't make it, but who Aarrrrrron offered to work with her in one of his restaurants to help her improve or whatever.

He seemed to think that we didn't know that he was actually saying, "The producers said we can't pick you, but since the first think you did when you saw me was profusely kiss my ass, I feel the need to give you a reward. Just let the producers try and stop me!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, KeithJ said:

This is only the second season I've watched but is Joe always such an ass?  I noticed it a bit last season but even just two episodes in this year, he seems worse.

He is a total ASS and then some. Why he's even on the show is beyond belief as he's not a chef. His official title is "restaurateur."

• Love 3
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Gordon can shut up about mixing the Gobi with soy sauce. How many times have we seen some kind of fusion this or fusion that when mixing different ingredients? Or being told to make something different from ingredients to elevate or whatever the word is that I am blanking on (Sorry, mega headache right now due to lack of sleep).

The first recipe I checked for Gobi Manchurian is made with soy sauce. What was he whining about?

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/gobi-manchurian-recipe/

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Oh yeah!  I remember her now.  So she was a Worst Cook and now thinks she might be a Master Chef.  Hmmm.  Could it be that she just wants to be on TV?

On Worst Cooks, people audition as "I can't cook anything without wrecking it, my family hates my cooking, I can't even make ________ (insert simple dish) "

On Master Chef , it's "cooking is my passion, I have no training, my family and friends LOVE my cooking and encouraged me to try out for the show, wait until you taste my specialty."  

SO - which is it?   or did she learn so much on worst cooks that she became ready for master chef?  Even then,  an 18 year old doesn't go from Worst to Master in such a short time.  

On this forum, we have long speculated that people trying out for Worst Cooks, really CAN cook, they just wreck one dish in order to be on tv, show their real skills, and win, as "most improved" is what wins that show. 

• Love 6
(edited)
8 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

On Worst Cooks, people audition as "I can't cook anything without wrecking it, my family hates my cooking, I can't even make ________ (insert simple dish) "

On Master Chef , it's "cooking is my passion, I have no training, my family and friends LOVE my cooking and encouraged me to try out for the show, wait until you taste my specialty."  

SO - which is it?   or did she learn so much on worst cooks that she became ready for master chef?  Even then,  an 18 year old doesn't go from Worst to Master in such a short time.  

On this forum, we have long speculated that people trying out for Worst Cooks, really CAN cook, they just wreck one dish in order to be on tv, show their real skills, and win, as "most improved" is what wins that show. 

I used to volunteer in a soup kitchen with a lot of people who were in culinary school. What they told me is that you submit one application for all the cooking shows, and casting directors decide which show would suit you the most. You don't apply to be on a specific show.

Edited by eel21788
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

As with most reality shows, they are scripted for drama and ratings.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, KeithJ said:

This is only the second season I've watched but is Joe always such an ass? 

Yes. Do  not hold out any hope that he will get better. Joe's not only not a chef but he got his start in the restaurant biz coasting in on his Mom's coattails. Also he thinks he's way more of a chick magnet than he is (which is not one at all).

Actually I may have talked myself out of watching much this season. I hate Joe and there's no upside to him. At least with Gordon you get an asshole who actually can cook and you maybe learn something. Aaron is easy to ignore. And then there's this Legends nonsense and Paula Dean for crying out loud.

I will watch the first few episodes because one of my favorite things is matching people up with the casting stereotype they were meant for. Early Boot Cannon Fodder, Farm Mom From Iowa, Blue Collar Plumber Guy, etc.

After that I'll probably just come here and read comments.

• Love 2

I was prepared to be mad if they let the 18-year-old high school girl on the show. Not because of her cooking but because of the, "I put school on hold for this" nonsense. Taking a semester off college? Fine. Essentially dropping out of high school for a reality show? No no no no no. I can't believe her parents let her do it. I hope she was able to go right back to school and make up the time for however many days she was gone to audition, but who knows. Instead of telling her she's "not ready yet," someone just needed to sit her down and talk some damn sense into her. Even if the whole thing was scripted and she wasn't missing any school, you know there are some dumb kids out there right now getting the idea to do this next season.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I used to volunteer in a soup kitchen with a lot of people who were in culinary school. What they told me is that you submit one application for all the cooking shows, and casting directors decide which show would suit you the most. You don't apply to be on a specific show.

I guess that might be true for FN shows although I'm inclined to doubt it.  Thinking about all the FN competitions I watch, it always seems to me that the contestants are there for that particular show.  As for "all" the cooking shows, I can't imagine that FN and Top Chef and MC share applications.

30 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

Actually I may have talked myself out of watching much this season. I hate Joe and there's no upside to him. At least with Gordon you get an asshole who actually can cook and you maybe learn something. Aaron is easy to ignore. And then there's this Legends nonsense and Paula Dean for crying out loud.

I agree with every one of those assessments but I'll keep watching so I know what people are talking about when I come to the boards.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, eel21788 said:

So... technically someone in a culinary school can end up on Worst Cooks?

(edited)
14 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I hope she was able to go right back to school and make up the time for however many days she was gone to audition, but who knows. Instead of telling her she's "not ready yet," someone just needed to sit her down and talk some damn sense into her. Even if the whole thing was scripted and she wasn't missing any school, you know there are some dumb kids out there right now getting the idea to do this next season.

OR, there should be rules as to age requirements and restrictions such as this person not being allowed to "drop out" of high school. I can recall a few years back when Whitney Miller won at age 22. During the apron competition, that year, GR kept harping that she was "only 22." That said, why would they even consider an 18 year old who is still in high school.

This is what I'm talking about:

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
(edited)

This is the first season of Masterchef my wife and I have watched (which is weird because we're both Gordon Ramsay superfans). A few observations:

Similar to his Chopped appearances, Aaron Sanchez never fails to annoy with his ridiculous overpronunciation of any Latin food ingredient. God help us all if a contestant uses jicama, as we'll be subjected to ten minutes of his saying "HEE-cah-mah" repeatedly.

As other posters have noted, Joe goes out of his way to be a jerk to some of the contestants.

Quitting your Legal Assistant job to go on a freaking GAME SHOW??? Really, lady???

I loved how when one contestant revealed she'd used prepackaged sauce, even the camerapeople basically said "Yeah, we're not wasting any more time on this one."

Also, I loved Sanchez delicately telling one guy "Thanks for coming on, but we don't think you're quite at the level we're looking for," then after the contestant left the room, everyone agreeing his dish was one of the worst any of them had ever tasted.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Similar to his Chopped appearances, Aaron Sanchez never fails to annoy with his ridiculous overpronunciation of any Latin food ingredient. God help us all if a contestant uses jicama, as we'll be subjected to ten minutes of his saying "HEE-cah-mah" repeatedly.

Seriously. He's been on my shit list ever since he mispronounced one of the easiest names for an Indian side dish: Raita*. Pronounced Rye-tha. What does Arrrrrooooon say? "Raeeeeethhhhaaaa."

*cucumber and yogurt with cumin powder and salt (to taste). Great as a cooling "agent" when eating super spicy foods.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Quitting your Legal Assistant job to go on a freaking GAME SHOW??? Really, lady???

Because legal assistant jobs are so hard to find????? That was ridiculous.

It's not as though she quit a high level job at NASA and would have to wait in line and compete with tens of thousands of highly qualified people to get rehired!

Even leaving the military to go on the show then trying to reenlist when it didn't work out would have been a more believable dilemma.

• Love 4

Any time someone says they quit their job to be on the show, to me what I think that really means is "I asked my job for the unpaid time off to be on the show and they said no, so I quit to do the show anyway". It's not like they quit the job in order to audition in the first place. They'd already been selected to be on at least one episode that would be on TV, and I'm pretty sure in order to do that part they had to agree to be available for the duration of filming. Anyone in a "we can't promise your job will still be here later" situation who ends up on the show, essentially quit to be on the show.

• Love 10
On 6/10/2021 at 7:52 PM, mlp said:

I guess that might be true for FN shows although I'm inclined to doubt it.  Thinking about all the FN competitions I watch, it always seems to me that the contestants are there for that particular show.  As for "all" the cooking shows, I can't imagine that FN and Top Chef and MC share applications.

I did some quick google checking (probably dooming my ad selections for a good long while, but oh well), and all the reality casting agencies I saw were posting for individual series.  Sometimes they named the program, while others- probably for new shows- just gave a vague description of the premise/network/etc...  Regardless, I didn’t find anything that suggested people can just blanket tryout for multiple shows (for FN or otherwise).

Having said that, it is true that casting companies and agents work for many different productions, with varied needs.  And, if they find someone they think is marketable, they’re probably going to try to get them on somewhere.  Let’s say you try out for Masterchef, but don’t make it on TV for whatever reason.  If the casting agent knows you are a baker, maybe they see if you’d be interested in some baking series they’re aware of.  That doesn’t mean that you weren’t initially up for only MC.  It’s just more that they’d rather just try to get you the baking show job, than sit through z number of tapes of some other random people.

Otherwise, I’m also not a huge fan of the “aproning” phase of this show- but I get that it’s just part of the formula.  I think the producers assume (or maybe they’ve focus tested) that the general public likes watching people get “picked” for shows like this.  In particular, since these cooks are “amateurs” - so not any more qualified than the average viewer- there’s a desire to show why they are worthy of being on the show.  So, they get aprons while other people walk out with nothing.  I guess we can just be happy that cooking shows more or less preclude the possibility of spinning chairs...

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/10/2021 at 7:17 PM, fishcakes said:

I was prepared to be mad if they let the 18-year-old high school girl on the show. Not because of her cooking but because of the, "I put school on hold for this" nonsense. Taking a semester off college? Fine. Essentially dropping out of high school for a reality show? No no no no no. I can't believe her parents let her do it. I hope she was able to go right back to school and make up the time for however many days she was gone to audition, but who knows. Instead of telling her she's "not ready yet," someone just needed to sit her down and talk some damn sense into her. Even if the whole thing was scripted and she wasn't missing any school, you know there are some dumb kids out there right now getting the idea to do this next season.

I call total shenanigans on her "dropping" anything or having to "make up" anything. 

That girl had probably already accumulated enough credits to graduate well before she finished her last semester, had one of those ridiculous inflated 4.3 GPA's, and was already taking college classes part time.  I refuse to believe she put anything "on hold".  She also probably had some full-ride scholarship to a great, expensive California college.  

I say no way her parents would let her just peace out to possibly get on a cooking competition.  She looks like a 2nd generation with traditional parents that would NEVER allow her put her education at risk for a reality show. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

Hello everyone, 

Long time lurker of this forum and for the many cooking related shows on it. Finally decided to make an account. This show has become pretty painful to watch over the last few seasons. I only still watch because I have hope someone like a Dino (sp?) shows up to make up for it all. Generally I wasn’t a fan of a lot of the winners since watching the show. First season I watched was that heavy set lady with the joker make up and hair. The guy on the next season seemed like a tool and then when they did the apron teams, the guy who won (Gerron?) didn’t seem very good at all. But I always hope for a Dino season after season !

on the quitting your job/school comments to participate in this, I never understood why people take those risks. Sure, you COULD win a bunch of money and make some additional tv appearances but I think a lot of contestants just don’t understand that just because you find cooking fun, having it as a career is a whole different story. What they don’t mention is the long hours, stressful working environments, always being on your feet, and the restaurants have pretty thin margins to begin with. That isn’t to say restaurants aren’t the only career opportunity but it’s probably the most common (I’m sure baking as a side hustle can be a great gig though).  I’d probably stick to current career and still enjoy cooking on the side. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, DougJones said:

Hello everyone, 

Long time lurker of this forum and for the many cooking related shows on it. Finally decided to make an account. This show has become pretty painful to watch over the last few seasons. I only still watch because I have hope someone like a Dino (sp?) shows up to make up for it all. Generally I wasn’t a fan of a lot of the winners since watching the show. First season I watched was that heavy set lady with the joker make up and hair. The guy on the next season seemed like a tool and then when they did the apron teams, the guy who won (Gerron?) didn’t seem very good at all. But I always hope for a Dino season after season !

on the quitting your job/school comments to participate in this, I never understood why people take those risks. Sure, you COULD win a bunch of money and make some additional tv appearances but I think a lot of contestants just don’t understand that just because you find cooking fun, having it as a career is a whole different story. What they don’t mention is the long hours, stressful working environments, always being on your feet, and the restaurants have pretty thin margins to begin with. That isn’t to say restaurants aren’t the only career opportunity but it’s probably the most common (I’m sure baking as a side hustle can be a great gig though).  I’d probably stick to current career and still enjoy cooking on the side. 

Welcome aboard!

• Love 5

It gets really tiring having these contestants with weepy stories about being an immigrant,  having a disease, or whatever, and wanting to get an apron because of that. I just don't care. Either make good food or don't. And, all those who come on the show so they can "make money for their families" or whatever. You're not going to make the money you want unless you win. And you should be concentrating on making money in your career instead of coming on a game show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, johnmiller said:

It gets really tiring having these contestants with weepy stories about being an immigrant,  having a disease, or whatever, and wanting to get an apron because of that. I just don't care. Either make good food or don't. And, all those who come on the show so they can "make money for their families" or whatever. You're not going to make the money you want unless you win. And you should be concentrating on making money in your career instead of coming on a game show.

Exactly!  Like the 35 year-old construction worker that wants to own his own restaurant.  Really?  Ever managed one or even worked in one?  Because opening a new eatery is massively expensive, incredibly wearing on a family and one of biggest losing propositions in business today. 

The US bureau of Labor Statistics cites almost 60% of new restaurants fail within the first year, and only 50% of THOSE make it to year 5.  Might as well just keep your prize money under your mattress, Hoss.  

If you have no experience in the process, you will lose every penny you have.  You will be living in your car, not living the creative, culinary lifestyle you envision.   And when you drag a family into it, it's one of the most irresponsible things you can do. 

People just cannot take this show as seriously as they pretend to.  We know this is yet another scripted "reality" show.  Granted, the food is real, but SO much exaggeration with the stories.  

• Love 11
13 hours ago, leighdear said:

Exactly!  Like the 35 year-old construction worker that wants to own his own restaurant.  Really?  Ever managed one or even worked in one?  Because opening a new eatery is massively expensive, incredibly wearing on a family and one of biggest losing propositions in business today. 

The US bureau of Labor Statistics cites almost 60% of new restaurants fail within the first year, and only 50% of THOSE make it to year 5.  Might as well just keep your prize money under your mattress, Hoss.  

If you have no experience in the process, you will lose every penny you have.  You will be living in your car, not living the creative, culinary lifestyle you envision.   And when you drag a family into it, it's one of the most irresponsible things you can do. 

People just cannot take this show as seriously as they pretend to.  We know this is yet another scripted "reality" show.  Granted, the food is real, but SO much exaggeration with the stories.  

For sure.  Restaurant Impossible has been on forever and you would think any restaurant owner would want to anticipate the pitfalls and challenges ahead of time that previous alumni of the show experience, yet it doesn’t happen. There’s no shortage of people that don’t know their financials, don’t know how to manage people , and probably can’t stomach the long and stressful hours associated with owning a restaurant and its thin margins. 

if I was on this show and won, I would probably do some house renovations and put the rest of it in index funds or something modest for my kids. 

who buys cookbooks anymore anyway ?  If I want to check a certain dish, I google and see what comes up. 

• Love 5

I like physical cookbooks (or food magazines) - I don’t often have specific ideas for what I want to make, and flipping through pages helps.  Plus, a lot of mine are themed (shows, movies, etc...), and are fun to look through on their own.  I’ve even had Christine and Luca’s books in my queue for probably years now - his is actually out of stock, but maybe some day I’ll pull the trigger on hers...

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

I like physical cookbooks (or food magazines) - I don’t often have specific ideas for what I want to make, and flipping through pages helps.  Plus, a lot of mine are themed (shows, movies, etc...), and are fun to look through on their own.  I’ve even had Christine and Luca’s books in my queue for probably years now - his is actually out of stock, but maybe some day I’ll pull the trigger on hers...

True, I think they have their place. I have a very basic taste of home one my wife got me over 10 years ago that I still use for a handful of recipes. But getting the cookbook of a master chef winner might in an environment that’s pretty saturated seems overkill. 

• Love 2

Agree with all of the above about taking too long to give out aprons.

About all I look forward to in this competition is Joe and Aaron's various malapropisms,

like when they call a perfectly prepared pork belly "unctuous".  

I just happened to finish a novel this week in which the author used that term to describe a particularly nasty mobster.  

unctuous

2a : fatty, oily. b : smooth and greasy in texture or appearance

But that's good eats to Joe and Aaron.  

They are always good for a few of these as the season progresses.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I also love physical cookbooks, and have a few standards that I always go back to when I need a basic bread recipe, a quick yellow cake recipe, etc.  I have a few specialty books, one of Emeril's first that's autographed and I use SO often, my grandmother's church community cookbook, a vintage Florida seafood book from 1945 that I bought in a thrift shop in Key West, etc.

But Google is really my best resource, as I don't actually cook as much as I used to.  And my local library system allows me to check out the newest digital cookbooks & cooking mags, so I can read them on my Kindle.  The digital mode of recipe reading is certainly not going away.....    

22 hours ago, DougJones said:

who buys cookbooks anymore anyway ?  If I want to check a certain dish, I google and see what comes up. 

Personally this pandemic made me buy a number of cookbooks that is so large I don't want to share it... I stopped getting delivery and takeout and now I cook every meal.  Suffice it to say, I buy cookbooks.

• Love 4
(edited)

I can't believe JoeB. said "eye of the tiger"

Whatta jerk.

ETA:  Thank God that shit has ended. I was thoroughly underwhelmed.

ETA: How does a loudmouth from N.J. wearing a sleeveless undershirt, with huge muscles, cooking vegan, get an apron. Oh, it's the loudmouth effect we'll have to put up with until he's ousted.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 5

Paula Deen tells a muscular young guy "Can I get your body under my husband's head?" 

How is this OK?  I cannot understand the idea that we stop sexualizing women who are just trying to do a job, or perform, yet it's somehow "cute" for a woman to sexualize a man like this.   If Emeril, or any of the male judges had said to a young woman, "Can I get YOUR body under my wife's head,"   they would have some serious problems with their careers.  

Knowing Paula Deen's history, I really felt for any Black contestants having to endure her judging their food. Food Network cancelled her, but I guess Fox is OK with her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
56 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Joe is an asshole.  There's nothing likeable or fun about watching someone so sour and humourless and stuck up.

Joe makes the show unwatchable.  Even the way he puts a fork in his mouth upside down and bites down hard on it as he gives you a death stare. As watchers of the show we KNOW he’s the bad guy but that’s not how the plot unfolds. Instead that role is designated to a contestant or two to keep up drama. We want Joe to get some poetic justice yet it’s not in the cards at all. 

• Love 2

Well, it was amusing last season to see Joe perpetually bewildered by Subha. He just got to the point where he was all "don't even ask; it's Subha"  when guest judges wondered how Subha looked so discombobulated when cooking yet produced good dishes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/13/2021 at 12:24 PM, DougJones said:

Hello everyone, 

Long time lurker of this forum and for the many cooking related shows on it. Finally decided to make an account. 

Howdy! I'm joining in too so it's nice to know I won't be the only newbie. As for job quitters etc I think many people believe the only way they'll "make it" is through something like this. Fame, fame fame/infamy has become the be all and end all for too many people. Or they can't afford to quit a job for the amount of time it would take to work through a restaurant career, which is most likely decades vs 3 months. Plus the world seems to be over-run with people who "made it" nearly instantly, so they might think it's easy. 

• Love 3

Done. I saw that Paula Deen was a guest judge and deleted this from my DVR. Do better, Gordon. Racism and misogyny will never be “cute.” Don’t care how this episode ends, I will not be watching.

• Love 3

13 hours ago, whinewithwine said:

Agree with all of the above about taking too long to give out aprons.

About all I look forward to in this competition is Joe and Aaron's various malapropisms,

like when they call a perfectly prepared pork belly "unctuous".  

I just happened to finish a novel this week in which the author used that term to describe a particularly nasty mobster.  

unctuous

2a : fatty, oily. b : smooth and greasy in texture or appearance

But that's good eats to Joe and Aaron.  

They are always good for a few of these as the season progresses.

"Unctuous" (which is wrong, pure and simple, not a malapropism) has become ubiquitous on food-related shows in the last couple of years.  I find it even more annoying than "horsh-radish".

As soon as they started showing the Mexican kid, it was equally obvious to me that (a) he wouldn't get through and (b) Aaron would offer him an opportunity outside the show.

Speaking of Aaron, who describes black garlic as "aggressive"?  No-one.  Except Aaron the Tubster Sanchez.

If Nancy is now acceptable again, can we expect Lenny later in the season?

• Love 3