Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

If you didn’t get paid for your appearance, it was probably a clause buried in the paperwork. I’ve been to tapings of game shows and had to sign something saying it was OK to show me in the audience, or else I didn’t get in. 

Oh yes, they explained to me up front that this would not be a paid appearance.  You're just so thrilled to be on tee-vee that you don't even care about that, lol.  I got inundated on my Facebook page from old friends I hadn't heard from in YEARS that recognized me.  Strange but true, I appeared on TV 3 times that one year, all unpaid.  I was approached in a local store and asked to appear in a commercial, plus I was contacted by the Rachael Ray show because I had commented on an episode on their site and filled out a questionnaire afterward about whether I was going through menopause.  They were filming an episode on that with an author who wrote a book about it and called me to ask if I wanted to appear on the show.  I was unemployed at the time so I thought, why not?  I got a limo. ride to the studio and back.  Strange experience for another thread.

• Love 5

As much as I think Dorian is a very nice lady, I'm crying FOUL over the plates Dorian used. How many people have beautiful, clear, easily clippable/silhouttted pictures of our mother's hands that also happen to be strategically positioned to appear as if they're holding something in them?? 

I did a very quick search on the internet and found a whole series of plates that look amazingly similar to the ones that Dorian claimed as being her dear, departed Momma's.

PRUNE-NOURRY-JR-JETEMANGERAISDANSLAMAIN-ASS-2R.thumb.jpg.7fadda0a6c8c857d48e2a3891bd34b6c.jpg

Source: https://www.bernardaud.com/en/us/je-te-mangerais-dans-la-main-set-of-6-dinner-plates

Methinks something is fishy from production (yeah... looking at your "raw" fish Nick). 

Edited by DzignerGurl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

If you fail to take the bloodline out, you also need to be more careful not to undercook your fish, imo. Maybe that's what made the one piece particularly unacceptable. I don't know whether it cooks as fast or not - there may be a density difference - but I think it's grosser than ordinary slightly undercooked fish, & probably calls attention to how well the fish is cooked overall.  In some species at least, I gather there may be a toxicity issue (nerve tissue concentrating toxins or something), but in others it's more a matter of taste.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Dorian didn’t cook in some of the most technical challenges and her cooking never advanced during the whole show. She was heavily favored from day one.

by the way, her house and cars were very nice, not luxurious but looked new and clean. I don’t think she was poor before entering the show.

I am kind a disappointed the show didn’t have a real villain the audience love to hate.

• Love 5
On 10/7/2019 at 11:44 PM, cooksdelight said:

They set Bri up for that role but she kept crying and ruined their plan.

I don’t think Bri was ever a villain. Considering some brilliant evil contestants that we have had before, she is a Girl Scout.

Krissy and Natasha in season 4 were really mean to everybody. And some of the men played good cop/bad cop in some episodes. It was a true mean season.

• Love 2
On 9/25/2019 at 2:05 PM, DzignerGurl said:

As much as I think Dorian is a very nice lady, I'm crying FOUL over the plates Dorian used. How many people have beautiful, clear, easily clippable/silhouttted pictures of our mother's hands that also happen to be strategically positioned to appear as if they're holding something in them?? 

I did a very quick search on the internet and found a whole series of plates that look amazingly similar to the ones that Dorian claimed as being her dear, departed Momma's.

PRUNE-NOURRY-JR-JETEMANGERAISDANSLAMAIN-ASS-2R.thumb.jpg.7fadda0a6c8c857d48e2a3891bd34b6c.jpg

Source: https://www.bernardaud.com/en/us/je-te-mangerais-dans-la-main-set-of-6-dinner-plates

Methinks something is fishy from production (yeah... looking at your "raw" fish Nick). 

Those plates look even creepier because the hands seemed..off, and then I realized they don't seem to belong to the same person.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Those plates look even creepier because the hands seemed..off, and then I realized they don't seem to belong to the same person.

They look like a man and a woman to me.  I imagine the cupped hands are symbolic of something but I don't know what.

• Love 1

His hokey overalls are nowhere to be seen. That was definitely what production made him wear because he’s from a small town in Georgia. We’re all rednecks down here, dontcha know? 🙂 Some of his pictures at the gym are downright hot.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

His hokey overalls are nowhere to be seen. That was definitely what production made him wear because he’s from a small town in Georgia. We’re all rednecks down here, dontcha know? 🙂 Some of his pictures at the gym are downright hot.

I guess they always try to make characters, same thing happened to the Harvard student or the fisherman.

• Love 1
On 5/28/2020 at 7:55 PM, silverspoons said:

Thanks. Do we know if Masterchef regular was filmed yet?  Interesting they have the masked singer in the fall (and I assume it has not been taped yet) .

Summer sure has little reality Tv to watch. Big brother is going to be missed for us more then ever.

If they didn’t start filming last fall, it will not happen until all the quarantines are lifted.

• Love 2

Deadline recently had an article on MC:AU and how that show has filmed their season with social distancing in mind. 

Fox’s version of the show, which features judges Gordon Ramsay, Aaron Sanchez and Joe Bastianich, would have likely started to air around now as per previous seasons had it not been for the pandemic. Fox reality chief Rob Wade told Deadline that he is working up plans to get all of its suspended shows back into production. MasterChef may be helped by the fact that its production company, Endemol Shine North America, will have direct access to plans from its Australian sibling.

5 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

There’s a Masterchef that’s airing now in the US that features past players who almost made it but didn’t win.

I only see reruns of last year's season on my TV schedule, but I don't remember if it included past players that didn't win.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Sounds a helluva lot like a clip show.

What’s a clip show?

It was an actual episode.... Bri is back, along with Noah and a few others I recognized. Some from early episodes I don’t know since I didn’t watch this show from the beginning.

On 6/11/2020 at 3:25 PM, cooksdelight said:

There’s a Masterchef that’s airing now in the US that features past players who almost made it but didn’t win.

When is this on?  I looked through the Fox site and the only MC I could find was Season 10.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, mlp said:

When is this on?  I looked through the Fox site and the only MC I could find was Season 10.

Wednesday at 8 pm on FOX. It says the remaining 18 contestants...which I know is the correct number left after last week’s show.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2020 at 1:25 PM, cooksdelight said:

Huh, my DVR didn't record anything, I didn't even know this was on again.

9 hours ago, illdoc said:

According to the website, the Masterchef that's currently airing originally aired last June.

Really? I’ve never seen it and I rarely miss the show now. They were all introduced as past contestants who came close to winning.

I love when they do baking challenges, because as a baker myself....I actually learn quite a bit.  So watching Gordon prepare his Tarte Tatin was absolutely awesome.  

I'm glad Evan is gone.  Quite frankly, he probably has the talent to have a culinary career, but please put your arrogance in check....it's not going to serve you well.  People will hate working with you.  And if you were to open your own place someday... people will hate working for you.  Then Gordon will show up in the Hellmobile.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:08 PM, cooksdelight said:

It’s season 10, which I must have slept through if it’s already aired.

They are not airing them weekly. My provider sporadically airs them. A few weeks ago, it was top 12? Last night, they showed top 10 to top 9? Two hour episode--but clearly they didn't air the episode which gave us the top 11. I'm blanking on his name, but he won the challenge and made it to top 12 and was safe. Asian dude. But he was gone last night. I can't believe that Nick, Jamie an Bri beat him out. Of course, Jamie got the boot last night.

And as a fellow, South East Asian--shut UP, Subha. Like there's any way to "deconstruct" a roti! And every dish he makes he says "that's me in a dish" or whatever he stutters.

And on the purely shallow end: What THE HELL has Gordon done to his FACE?!!!

I just discovered the previous MC seasons on Hulu. I can't believe the items that the S1 contestants both have to choose and the choices they make when doing the Invention Test. You have to choose between mushrooms, mandarin oranges, and duck, so you choose the oranges as the star of your dish? Or the super dumb. one - honey, berries, and vanilla so you choose vanilla as your star?

"". Along with Deen, the “Legends” include Emeril Lagasse, Roy Choi, Nancy Silverton and Iron Chef staple Morimoto.""

One of these chefs is not like the others.  Why on earth resurrect Paula Deen?

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 4/8/2021 at 6:02 AM, mlp said:

"". Along with Deen, the “Legends” include Emeril Lagasse, Roy Choi, Nancy Silverton and Iron Chef staple Morimoto.""

One of these chefs is not like the others.  Why on earth resurrect Paula Deen?

The others are an impressive haul though!

I'll be here for all the tropes. We skipped a year, I'm starved for the stunning stupidity!

Edited by displayname
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2