Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Noah? Good god! Nick left a string on his meat. He should have been sent home for that alone.

I guess Nick really is the golden boy and designated winner. The only other possible winner is Dorian, based on how much the judges seem to love her not on her cooking. Sarah honestly should just go do some touristy stuff and not bother.

Nick is from my state and I know the area where he lives. I wouldn't be surprised if his daddy buys him a restaurant so he can fail upward some more.

I don't know a lot about Nigella Lawson but I know she's too good for this shit show. They must have offered her a boatload of $$.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

Nick is from my state and I know the area where he lives. I wouldn't be surprised if his daddy buys him a restaurant so he can fail upward some more.

Is Barrington affluent?

• Love 1
Just now, preeya said:

Is Barrington affluent?

I would call it affluent. Not as posh as parts of Newport and Bristol but definitely up there. Newport and Bristol are also more diverse. Barrington is very very white. I've been in RI many years and Barrington seems to be where lots of professionals move because they don't want their kids to have to attend "urban" schools.

Nick seems like a nice kid but I don't think he has had to overcome any obstacles to achieve his dream. But he photographs well.

I'm not really interested in who wins now. Way to go show! Awesome 10th season!

• Love 4

Haha 4 or 5 episodes ago they had a chef known for splatting food all over a table top and said this is the new cool way to plate, this episode the woman says food should be for eating not decorating the plate and all the judges nod in agreement 🙄🙄🙄

I honestly thought Sarah had left the string on her meat too. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

I honestly would have preferred to see Noah go on instead of Dorian.  I just don't understand what the judges see in her.  Joe's comment about her serving "you on a plate" was very unlike Joe and seemed calculated.  She usually cooks good food with no particular wow factor.  And she cries about everything.  I don't get it.  Tonight she made meat that was no better and no worse than the others, some insipid potatoes and a nice trifle.  Not impressed.  

I will admit that I haven't liked Nigella Lawson since The Taste.  Her behavior on that show didn't give me any respect for her abilities.  She didn't seem to contribute anything to the episode except being British and decorative.

At this point, I'll be OK with either Nick or Sarah winning.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I honestly would have preferred to see Noah go on instead of Dorian.  I just don't understand what the judges see in her.  Joe's comment about her serving "you on a plate" was very unlike Joe and seemed calculated.  She usually cooks good food with no particular wow factor.  And she cries about everything.  I don't get it.  Tonight she made meat that was no better and no worse than the others, some insipid potatoes and a nice trifle.  Not impressed.  

I will admit that I haven't liked Nigella Lawson since The Taste.  Her behavior on that show didn't give me any respect for her abilities.  She didn't seem to contribute anything to the episode except being British and decorative.

At this point, I'll be OK with either Nick or Sarah winning.

I agree with this entire post. I watched The Taste also and did not like Nigella Lawson at all. And in this episode, besides being “decorative and British” (Lol) she also seemed quite bitchy. She seemed to be looking for negative things to pick on for each of the contestants. Why did they have to go to London anyway? Oh - that’s right - Gordon. I have never been wowed by all things British. I thought we fought the Revolutionary War to get away from all that stuff. But of course the contestants had to act like they were totally in awe of it all. 

As for the cooking, I like Noah but I knew when he announced he was doing a risotto that would be his downfall. I agree that Dorian is a good home cook, but she fails to elevate her dishes. I have liked Sarah and Nick from the beginning. I refuse to hate on Nick for being from a wealthy white background - just as I won’t dislike Sarah for that leg-hug she gave her husband (or whatever it’s called). I think either of them deserve to win. 

That being said, I believe this stunning amazing Season 10 will be my last. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

Haha 4 or 5 episodes ago they had a chef known for splatting food all over a table top and said this is the new cool way to plate, this episode the woman says food should be for eating not decorating the plate and all the judges nod in agreement 🙄🙄🙄

Yes, it seemed that "plating" has been the emphasis this season.  Then, suddenly, food doesnt have to look pretty, it just has to taste good.

And does venison have to be served so rare it looks like beets? I would never eat any meat that was as rare as these dishes.

• Love 8

Noah should have gone after the steak episode. 

That said, Nick's plate was a mess.  I hate those splatty presentations that Gordon normally wouldn't let through the pass without toweling them off.  And the string!!!  (smelling salts, please).

Still, Dorian and Sarah were mediocre, and we know Nick is the Chosen One.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

And does venison have to be served so rare it looks like beets? I would never eat any meat that was as rare as these dishes.

I think it pretty much turns to shoe leather if you don't. It's very, very lean meat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I was curious so I meandered over to the Master chef season 10 Facebook page and there were a lot of very disappointed people who felt Nick should have gone. Lots of people muttering about the show being fixed, too.

Also, that dress Nigella word needed some color desperately. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Noah? Good god! Nick left a string on his meat. He should have been sent home for that alone.

I guess Nick really is the golden boy and designated winner. The only other possible winner is Dorian, based on how much the judges seem to love her not on her cooking. Sarah honestly should just go do some touristy stuff and not bother.

I don't know a lot about Nigella Lawson but I know she's too good for this shit show. They must have offered her a boatload of $$.

She is actually a fallen angel.  She got caught up in a Coke scandal.   She also gained a lot of weight when she was really popular and the TV people did not like that.   As Nigella is one of the beautiful people Celebrity chefs. 

Giada’s career took off a lot during this time. 🤣

Nonetheless, Nigella looked great last night.  Hopefully, she is back on track. I always liked her.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Still, Dorian and Sarah were mediocre, and we know Nick is the Chosen One.

If Nick loses, will they let him back into Ball State University?  I think that's where he said he took time off from.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, mertensia said:

Please write a tell-all. Somebody. Anybody. 

This season is proving this will be my last. I don't watch to see the Anointed One win. I want to watch to see the best win.

Ben Starr (season 2) already has.

18 minutes ago, Totale said:

If Nick loses, will they let him back into Ball State University?  I think that's where he said he took time off from.

Is that why they keep showing him in a Harvard sweatshirt?  Crazy producers.

(P.S.  I have a vintage Harvard t-shirt, and the closest I came to that lauded school was running across Hahvahd Yahd to catch the T to my Bahston job.)

Edited by spiderpig
ETA: Isn't Ball State David Letterman's alma mater?
  • LOL 3

Same ol' same ol'.  This fabulous, remarkable, outstanding, stunning, amazing, stupendous, sensational, unbelievable, extraordinary, thrilling, brilliant, not to mention dumbfounding, season has broken me. I will not be watching another.  That's it! I give up! UNCLE!

I will, of course, continue to read this forum for your wonderful snark. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Also same old, same old:  OMG, I've never cooked that before (except 2 of the finalists had).  

The time limits drive me crazy.  They prove who can cook the fastest, not the best.  I'm sure in any restaurants, the customers would rather have a great dish in 45 minutes than a mediocre one in 30.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Totale said:

Nothing against Ball State, but it's an odd choice for someone from Rhode Island. Does he wear his Harvard shirt there I wonder.

I laughed that these shows are always about presentation, yet last night we were told it's not, it's about taste. So I guess just throw some delicious tasting piles on a plate and call it a meal.

I would never make risotto anywhere near Gordon.

Joe is always so rude. When he asked Nick if he knew who puts champagne in a trifle, I so wanted Nick to reply, "Yes, I do know ... YOUR MOTHER does."

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, mertensia said:

Please write a tell-all. Somebody. Anybody. 

This season is proving this will be my last. I don't watch to see the Anointed One win. I want to watch to see the best win.

I'm there with you, Mertensia.  In fact, I'm ready to swear off all the Gordon shows forever now -- MasterChef, MasterChef Jr. and especially, Hell's Kitchen.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

I'm there with you, Mertensia.  In fact, I'm ready to swear off all the Gordon shows forever now -- MasterChef, MasterChef Jr. and especially, Hell's Kitchen.

I refuse to watch that new one of his, the one that is a direct rip off of Anthony Bourdain's show.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

I agree with this entire post. I watched The Taste also and did not like Nigella Lawson at all. And in this episode, besides being “decorative and British” (Lol) she also seemed quite bitchy. She seemed to be looking for negative things to pick on for each of the contestants. Why did they have to go to London anyway? Oh - that’s right - Gordon. I have never been wowed by all things British. I thought we fought the Revolutionary War to get away from all that stuff. But of course the contestants had to act like they were totally in awe of it all. 

As for the cooking, I like Noah but I knew when he announced he was doing a risotto that would be his downfall. I agree that Dorian is a good home cook, but she fails to elevate her dishes. I have liked Sarah and Nick from the beginning. I refuse to hate on Nick for being from a wealthy white background - just as I won’t dislike Sarah for that leg-hug she gave her husband (or whatever it’s called). I think either of them deserve to win. 

That being said, I believe this stunning amazing Season 10 will be my last. 

Mine too.  After the stunning winner is crowned, I will go on over to youtube and check out the English and Canadian versions of Master Chef.  They won't be stunning, but they won't be so annoying either.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, hhawks said:

Mine too.  After the stunning winner is crowned, I will go on over to youtube and check out the English and Canadian versions of Master Chef.  They won't be stunning, but they won't be so annoying either.

I've watched a few seasons of MC Canada and believe me it it so different from MC US. There is very little drama BS, the contestants and the judges are for the most part pleasant. They do have some out of kitchen challenges, but without the faux themes, etc. It is presented with a very toned down atmosphere.

Edited by preeya
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Nothing against Ball State, but it's an odd choice for someone from Rhode Island. Does he wear his Harvard shirt there I wonder.

I laughed that these shows are always about presentation, yet last night we were told it's not, it's about taste. So I guess just throw some delicious tasting piles on a plate and call it a meal.

Joe is always so rude. When he asked Nick if he knew who puts champagne in a trifle, I so wanted Nick to reply, "Yes, I do know ... YOUR MOTHER does."

Yes, I thought Joe was suffering from a severe wedgie because he was so obnoxious to Nick.  For a moment I was really glad Subha wasn’t there because I’m sure Joe would have found a reason to eviscerate hm.  The only redeeming part was when Noah was eliminated.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I've never made it, but know from watching cooking shows that the stock you add has to be hot. I knew when Noah added cold stock that he was done. His risotto looked by cafeteria rice pudding with raisins. Blah.

They even said "Remove the string..." to Nick as he was plating. That should have sent him home.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Tatortot said:

Guest judge, hoity toity chef says to Noah that he didn't want the risotta to be puddingie?  What the heck kind of word is that?

Never heard the word "puddingie" before but to me his "ree-zoh-tow" did look like rice pudding.

As I said previously, the moment he said he "punched his ticket to the finale" he was toast.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

In the 1970's Ball State's signature tee shirt bordered on obscene. I doubt MasterChef would allow anyone to wear it on camera. I tried to find one on-line to post here, but it seems to have disappeared from their stores in lieu of those that are much more tasteful.

• LOL 1

I still cannot believe someone who left the butcher’s string on a steak didn’t get eliminated. That’s the sign of someone who can’t cook a fart.

I’ve got two Harvard shirts, both bought at various thrift stores over the years. I guess that makes me a helluva home cook. 😄

• LOL 3
5 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I still cannot believe someone who left the butcher’s string on a steak didn’t get eliminated. 

Especially since while they were deliberating, they said it was all about the venison, then did a complete 180 and told Noah he was being eliminated because of his risotto.

• Love 3

This is from a Boston magazine interview: "The Barrington, Rhode Island native and recent Harvard grad" and "He ultimately decided to forego culinary school for Harvard, where he wound up developing his own concentration: “Food & Climate.”

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Tatortot said:

Guest judge, hoity toity chef says to Noah that he didn't want the risotta to be puddingie?  What the heck kind of word is that?

Thanks.  I'd forgotten about Miss Superior Smarty Britches' funny new word.  I wonder why she didn't say "like pudding,"

• Love 1
1 hour ago, zibnchy said:

I don't understand the references to Nick and Ball State. Can someone enlighten me?

As far as I can tell from his social media, Nick recently graduated from Harvard.

I'm lost, too. With the first reference above, I thought the poster was just being tongue in cheek and making fun of the fact that Nick mentions Harvard in every episode. But then when others started talking about Ball State...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, zibnchy said:

As far as I can tell from his social media, Nick recently graduated from Harvard.

I was just mocking his stupid producer mandated Harvard shirt, which lives in the same zone as ex-Noah's overalls.

Ball State is a pretty well regarded research institution.  He'd have to prove they should take him.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 1

Nigella Lawson appeared on MC Australia last year (I think). I don't know much about her and I thought she was lovely. She came off, to me, as very nice, helpful, and warm.

In her recent appearance on MC US she appeared uncomfortable and was the opposite of those things I listed. I prefer to believe she hates GR and was "forced" to be there. Like GR pulled some strings or called in some favors. Did she even speak to Joe and Aaron? I mean, I wouldn't speak to Joe and Aaron if I was Nigella, so that probably doesn't mean anything.

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt because I just assume Gordon is at fault for everything.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I’ve tried some of Nigella’s recipes and they are awesome. Gordon takes himself too seriously like his s**t doesn’t stink. Joe and Aaron are the same way. Aaron was never like this on Chopped. Gordon has them all drinking his Kool-Aid, I guess.

• Love 6

The one redeeming thing about this episode was Hatfield House.  I saw it 30 years ago and have a special place in my heart for it.  It was great to see it all fixed up as when I was there it was in need of repair.  The kitchen looked especially nice.  Focusing on that helped me tune out all the stupidity of this show.  It was also nice to see Nigella looking back to her old self.  She was obviously going through a very bad time a few years back when she was doing "The Taste".  I had always been a fan of hers but she really came off like a nutter on that show.  Then I read about her drug arrest and very public divorce.  It was all very tawdry and disappointing.  I was almost able to forget about all that in this episode.

I predicted to myself that Noah would be the next to go and it turns out I was right.  Once again, the one eliminated leaves despite others messing up just as much or more.  And the insertion of the critical judges' comments while he was cooking to make it look justified really irritated me because I knew right then that he was going to be the one sent home.  What a crock of crap.  They can't even edit this show honestly.

Now it looks like they'll cut Sarah next, then I really don't have a read on whether the winner will be Nick or Dorian.  All season long they have been giving both of them winner's edits so it's hard to tell.  If this show is going to remain typical of itself it will go to Dorian because she has the better sob/backstory.  Right now I'd prefer it if Sarah won even though they've annoyed us to death with making her refer to her military background in every sentence.

While I sympathize with the posters upthread that are not going to watch future seasons of the show because the winner seems to be already chosen, it's always seemed that way to me before.  How many seasons have we watched that we already knew 5 episodes in who the "chosen" one was?  Remember Claudia?  Courtney?  Christine Ha?  How many of them have there been that have been the chosen, anointed one all season long that eventually won?  This is nothing new for this show, but I agree, it sucks.

• Love 7

At least Nigella doesn’t eat an itty bitty bite by scraping her massive teeth across a fork like Little Big Head.

The only cookbook I’ve purchased from a winner of this show is Christine Ha’s. But I gave up trying to cook anything when I almost went blind from trying to read the light gray type the entire book is typeset with.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

At least Nigella doesn’t eat an itty bitty bite by scraping her massive teeth across a fork like Little Big Head.

The only cookbook I’ve purchased from a winner of this show is Christine Ha’s. But I gave up trying to cook anything when I almost went blind from trying to read the light gray type the entire book is typeset with.

I thought you bought Whitney's? ...And now I sound like a stalker.

• LOL 3