Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

What channel is Masterchef UK aired on? I remember watching it when I had Dish but after moving and now having local cable, I may not have the channel. It is a MUCH better show. Gordon’s shows are getting tiresome. I passed on HK last time, and this show is quickly becoming a joke/bore.

I'd like to know the answer to that question myself.  It might be on YouTube but I haven't checked.  I think Masterchef Canada is on YouTube but I haven't looked into that recently.  That show was always better than the American version and they used to show it on the Cooking Channel but not in the past year or more.

If you get Pluto as I do on Roku, it has a "Kitchen Nightmares" channel that shows a lot of various English Gordon programs from the past decade that are far better than the ones we get here (i.e., he doesn't act like an asshole).

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've been to London a few times and I can't imagine being forced to walk around there in that outfit.

I have to hope that when they weren't being followed by an entire camera crew, they were allowed to act normally. In Europe, I generally tried to blend into the background, especially when by myself. It worked well enough in Paris that French people asked me for directions.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

What channel is Masterchef UK aired on? I remember watching it when I had Dish but after moving and now having local cable, I may not have the channel. It is a MUCH better show. Gordon’s shows are getting tiresome. I passed on HK last time, and this show is quickly becoming a joke/bore.

I'd like to know the answer to that question myself.  I

I sent y'all a PM so as not to break any forum rules or get off topic. Hope you enjoy!

PS. I agree, @Yeah No, I can totally watch  Gordon on his UK Kitchen Nightmares, and even Boiling Point, and find him rather interesting, real, and entertaining. I guess someone told him an America audience demands arrogant buffoons and OTT stereotypes! 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 3

I started watching Master Chef about five seasons ago.  I had previously watched the cooking competition on the Food Network but all the food seemed ridiculously high in sugar, fat and calories and the contestants were mostly fame whores.  The focus was firmly on personality.  After enjoying Master Chef for awhile I gave Gordo's Hell's Kitchen a try and couldn't get through an entire episode.  It was just kitchen chaos with everyone yelling and swearing, especially Gordo.  Gordo seemed sedated by comparison on Master Chef.  Well, the past few weeks have shown that Gordo's no longer on Master Chef sedatives, and he's just as annoying as he is on Hell's Kitchen,  Nevertheless I'll keep watching Master Chef because I like the diversity of the home cooks who are almost all likeable.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

His reaction told me he isn't responsible for the wardrobe choices.  Say what you want about Gordon but even he wouldn't want to subject someone to that kind of humiliation.

Gordo is the Executive Producer of the show, so by default, he certainly subjects everyone to whatever humiliation is deemed at any point in time. I've come to dislike him more and more as the INCREDIBLE, AMAZING SEASON TEN evolved.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, preeya said:

Gordo is the Executive Producer of the show, so by default, he certainly subjects everyone to whatever humiliation is deemed at any point in time. I've come to dislike him more and more as the INCREDIBLE, AMAZING SEASON TEN evolved.

There are several executive producers in the show.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:59 PM, OoogleEyes said:

I just noticed that, under Dorian's name, her occupation (?) was "creeler". What the heck is that?

A creeler is the person who is responsible for overseeing the yarn in a industrial weaving facility. Since she is from Georgia, she likely works at one of the giant carpet mills. 

• Useful 3
12 hours ago, Totale said:

Shari ran out of scallops?  Why not go to the cooler and get some more?  Is Gordon a manager of JIT inventory management along with all his other stunning acheivements?

I was under the impression they were given a set number of everything. So if she ran out, it means she fucked up enough of them to blow through her entire buffer. They're not literally using the stuff from the restaurant's inventory. The show supplies them X amount per challenge, which is more than the amount they have to serve, but not so much that they have infinite chances to remake something unservable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/4/2019 at 9:07 PM, Gramto6 said:

Half way watching...I can't believe Noah walked into theSavoy Hotel in his overalls! Disrespectful.

They all looked sloppy walking into the Savoy, exception being Nick who did give it a half hearted attempt by wearing a blazer with jeans.  Most of them looked like they were going to a fast food restaurant.

• LOL 2
On 9/4/2019 at 10:58 PM, El maestro said:

I can’t believe Dorian is still there. In the final 4.  She hasn’t done anything that could vow anybody in a restaurant.

She's a better cook than Subha ever could be, which is why she is still there and he finally got the boot.

On 9/5/2019 at 2:36 AM, GaT said:

I am so glad Subha is finally gone, now please, get rid of Noah so I can be happy.

Totally agree about Subha being gone.

• Love 2

Whether or not Noah dressed himself, it was embarassing as an American to see him wandering around London, and into the Savoy, dressed like he worked in a filling station in 1961 Mayberry. He, or the producers, just confirmed in the minds of numerous Brits, that American tourists are as tacky as they thought they were. All he needed was a loud “Golly”.

And how does raw or overcooked food get past the expediter? This episode sucked. Noah was the worst hands down, and should have been sent back on the Clampett mobile. 

• Love 10
23 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I sent y'all a PM so as not to break any forum rules or get off topic. Hope you enjoy!

PS. I agree, @Yeah No, I can totally watch  Gordon on his UK Kitchen Nightmares, and even Boiling Point, and find him rather interesting, real, and entertaining. I guess someone told him an America audience demands arrogant buffoons and OTT stereotypes! 

I want to know too?  Thanks.

55 minutes ago, MajorWoody said:

Whether or not Noah dressed himself, it was embarassing as an American to see him wandering around London, and into the Savoy, dressed like he worked in a filling station in 1961 Mayberry. He, or the producers, just confirmed in the minds of numerous Brits, that American tourists are as tacky as they thought they were. All he needed was a loud “Golly”.

And how does raw or overcooked food get past the expediter? This episode sucked. Noah was the worst hands down, and should have been sent back on the Clampett mobile. 

As we’ve seen in past seasons, production picks the wardrobes. Not the contestants. I live very close to Noah, we’re not hillbillies. He dresses very age-appropriate for the place and time of year. I’m sure if given the choice all of the contestants would have been in their best attire.

Gordon was checking each plate before it went out, he clearly already has his winner picked.

• Love 5
On 9/6/2019 at 9:28 PM, preeya said:

What's your point?

I don’t think Gordon Ramsey runs the day to day operations. Specially when he seems to be doing multiple projects at the same time.

I watched some YouTube videos of past seasons and some programs may have a dozen executive producers, whatever that means.

the judges doesn’t seem to have a lot of choices in the programs. Producers decide for them. In several MC seasons in different countries, the judges wear earpieces to receive directions.

I remember watching MC Canada and in seasons 2 and 3 it was really clear who was going to win from the very beginning.

I don’t think GR, Aaron or Joe care very much about who wins. In media, the producers are the bosses.

Edited by El maestro
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, cameron said:

She's a better cook than Subha ever could be, which is why she is still there and he finally got the boot.

Totally agree about Subha being gone.

She cooks well, but she is still doing meals suitable for a thanksgiving dinner or a potluck, not for a restaurant. I thought this season was supposed to be amazing and most of the contestants never made anything remarkable.

Edited by El maestro
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

Tacky outfit, but I was born and raised in Europe and for me (and most continental Europeans )it is difficult to picture an elegant British tourist. Something like James Bond.

The whole episode sucked. As a rule, I dislike the episodes filmed in restaurants. I think I spent the whole episode reading something and just catching glimpses of the action.

• Love 1

On 9/6/2019 at 6:26 PM, galaxychaser said:

I honestly don’t think I will watch next season of amazing humiliation of contestants ! No season 11 for me. 

On 9/6/2019 at 9:53 PM, hhawks said:

Me neither

I said that a few seasons ago, and I still watch it... and several international editions.😮

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2019 at 10:33 PM, galaxychaser said:

The contestants of the show get dressed by the crew. Everyone gets a look. Noah works in a sewer so he gets dressed as one.

Whoever decided that contestant Noah be dressed every episode in 'rubbery-like' over-sized overalls should be 'dressed down' - so to speak.  All I can think of is that this potential 'Masterchef" crawls out from the sewers each week to compete.  Eew!  ☹️  NOT a look that 'goes with food.'

• Love 6
18 hours ago, TzuShih said:

Whoever decided that contestant Noah be dressed every episode in 'rubbery-like' over-sized overalls should be 'dressed down' - so to speak.  All I can think of is that this potential 'Masterchef" crawls out from the sewers each week to compete.  Eew!  ☹️  NOT a look that 'goes with food.'

What I'm wondering is to what degree Bri's get-up was dictated by production?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

I’ll bet you the tight-fitting tops with boobage were definitely dictated by production. 

All I could think of when Bri was on camera was the hilarious old SNL sketch "Their Eyes Were on Their Breasts" where in an alien society men never looked women in the eyes when they were on their faces, so women's eyes migrated south.

• LOL 1
On 8/30/2019 at 6:50 PM, hhawks said:

And I was also impressed with Shari's good looking husband.   They must have faced a few raised eyebrows in Rochester, Minnesota.  I wonder if he works at the Mayo Clinic there.

Even people in Flyover Country see lots of mixed-race couples. They hardly ever raise their eyebrows anymore.

• Love 5

S10:E23 London Calling - Pt. 2    09/11/19

Summary:  The top four chefs travel to the historic Hatfield House, where they must cook for British cooking royalty, Nigella Lawson; the chefs must cook a venison dish, but the judges throw a surprise twist at them, forcing them to think quickly.

An amazing, stunning twist.  I can't wait. 

Will Chubby Checker show up?      

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

Will Noah boast how great he is at cooking beef and then fail?

Will Noah stand there with mouth open?

Will tubby Aarrrooon show us his green hands?

Will Dorian get into top 3 with mediocre cooking and calling everyone honey? 

Will Nick continue being a poser?

Will Sara not mention her husband and kids? 

Will I finish this season with out rolling my eyes out of my head? 

Yes I will watch this boring train wreck.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
On 9/8/2019 at 7:26 PM, cooksdelight said:

I wonder how many of the professions listed are true.

Probably a few of them are false. I have watched MC editions where some of the “home cooks”  were kind of semi pro, for example they had taken up cooking courses in trade school or community college.

I don't know how to embed tweets but I follow Chef José Andrés @chefjoseandres and his World Central Kitchen. They are currently working in the Bahamas and one video featured Jamie (Hough) who is also volunteering there with Chef JA as well as his own charity which I can't remember the name of (sorry). Jamie's charity also raises money to feed people in disaster areas.

He seems like a decent guy.

Edited by zibnchy
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

I don't know how to embed tweets but I follow Chef José Andrés @chefjoseandres and his World Central Kitchen. They are currently working in the Bahamas and one video featured Jamie (Hough) who is also volunteering there with Chef JA as well as his own charity which I can't remember the name of (sorry). Jamie's charity also raises money to feed people in disaster areas.

He seems like a decent guy.

Is this what you wanted?

• Love 4

Bullcorn!!!!

Nicke served pomme purée....=.....mashed potatoes!

Left the string on the meat. 

In Culinary School.....you are not allowed to serve mashed potatoes even if you call them pomme purée............ baked potatoes, steamed veggies.....etc!  This Final 4. No excuse.

Send Nick home!  

He even screwed up  dessert.....but, of course....judges do not care.  It is Nick!

My guess is Sarah.  Let’s see........🙀

Ok......guessed wrong.......it is Noah! 👨‍🌾

Edited by Dance4Life
  • Love 2
On 9/10/2019 at 5:07 PM, galaxychaser said:

Will Noah boast how great he is at cooking beef and then fail?

Will Noah stand there with mouth open?

Will tubby Aarrrooon show us his green hands?

Will Dorian get into top 3 with mediocre cooking and calling everyone honey? 

Will Nick continue being a poser?

Will Sara not mention her husband and kids? 

Will I finish this season with out rolling my eyes out of my head? 

Yes I will watch this boring train wreck.

And, the Army Interrogator!  Even on her way out....I am mom! I am a veteran!  

Oh....yea......but, are you a chef?

I miss Shari’s cooking.

And, Subha wearing his Barry Goldberg outfits!  

Edited by Dance4Life
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Seriously, it seemed like every few minutes the editors foreshadowed Noah's auf'ing with a carefully selected sound bite.  "I feel really confident tonight...", "This is gonna get me to the final 3..." and so on.  

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, preeya said:

Come on Gordo this ain't brain surgery.  Why was their journey a miracle?

Noah: "I punched my ticket to the finale"  that's probably the kiss of death for him.

It's a miracle journey because its stunning season 10.  The episode is quite icky - historic and epic.  They missed an opportunity to say that the castle setting was iconic.  Or maybe the guest judge could have been iconic if anyone ever heard of her.  I suspected Noah would go home, as he makes for the weakest poster boy or girl.  Also, there's a pattern of eliminating the person who should have gone home the week before.  I liked when he exclaimed "Sweet Baby Jesus" like Sissy Hickey in Sordid Lives.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Seriously, it seemed like every few minutes the editors foreshadowed Noah's auf'ing with a carefully selected sound bite.  "I feel really confident tonight...", "This is gonna get me to the final 3..." and so on.  

The edits of doom.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
Just now, hhawks said:

It's a miracle journey because its stunning season 10.  The episode is quite icky - historic and epic.  They missed an opportunity to say that the castle setting was iconic.  Or maybe the guest judge could have been iconic if anyone ever heard of her.  I suspected Noah would go home, as he makes for the weakest poster boy or girl.  Also, there's a pattern of eliminating the person who should have gone home the week before.  I liked when he exclaimed "Sweet Baby Jesus" like Sissy Hickey in Sordid Lives.

And they finally let him take off his Mister Greenjeans disguise.  They also dressed Micah nicely for his eviction, too.

• Love 4