Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/4/2019 at 5:59 PM, OoogleEyes said:

I just noticed that, under Dorian's name, her occupation (?) was "creeler". What the heck is that?

If you can be bothered to look it up, you'll see that a creeler is "A textile worker who tends the creel and other aspects of a yarn tufting or twisting machine or other kind of loom."

Edited by Brookside

What a crock.  Red team does better and better as the service goes on.  Blue team starts out well but falters.  Who loses?  Red team, who ran out of scallops because Shari cooked them every bit as dark as some of the Blue team's plates, and then slightly overcooked a duck breast.  I call shenanigans.  The whole thing, including the high drama, was designed to eliminate two people they didn't want to continue.  Noah did far worse than both of them.

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

What a crock.  Red team does better and better as the service goes on.  Blue team starts out well but falters.  Who loses?  Red team, who ran out of scallops because Shari cooked them every bit as dark as some of the Blue team's plates, and then slightly overcooked a duck breast.  I call shenanigans.  The whole thing, including the high drama, was designed to eliminate two people they didn't want to continue.  Noah did far worse than both of them.

That's exactly what I was going to say.  Also, every single season during the restaurant service, some diner sends something back and Gordon makes a big issue of it - even though he was the one standing there expediting and sent it out.  He does the same thing on Hell's Kitchen.  He even threw food across his gleaming 3-star kitchen.  Ridiculous.  

I hope the contestants had some down time so they could experience London.

• Love 15

Noah should have gone home. I love how he's always bragging about being such a grill & meat expert, and yet tonight he couldn't cook a bloody steak.

And yeah, Gordon was at the pass, so he was the one who sent out the overcooked duck. Such fake drama. 

Edited by Such A Flirt
  • Love 17
59 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

The hypocrisy of this whole show is just so glaring. Totally producer driven with no thought to the actual experiences we see of the cook. Noah was definitely the worst cook of the night!

• Love 12
On 9/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, cooksdelight said:

I think there was a lot more going on behind the scenes concerning Micah than the public has been told. The entire episode, looking at it now with what’s happened in real time, was bizarre.

The episode was shady from start to finish.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Aerobicidal said:

This was the most stunning episode of season three, and it was amazing seeing the contestants in Gordon's ten Michelin star restaurant.

There may be one or more inaccuracies in the above sentence due to the amount of alcohol I felt compelled to consume in order to make it through tonight's stunningly amazing episode.

Another epic season 10 masterpiece.  An instant classic.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mlp said:

That's exactly what I was going to say.  Also, every single season during the restaurant service, some diner sends something back and Gordon makes a big issue of it - even though he was the one standing there expediting and sent it out.  He does the same thing on Hell's Kitchen.  He even threw food across his gleaming 3-star kitchen.  Ridiculous.  

I hope the contestants had some down time so they could experience London.

These team challenges all seem to follow the same script every time, and it always includes Gordon flinging food at the wall in a rage.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Half way watching...I can't believe Noah walked into theSavoy Hotel in his overalls! Disrespectful.

someone from the wardrobe department  coordinated numerous overalls and bandanas so he can always be dressed as a dumb hick.  

I have always thought that GR, on both Master Chef and Hells kitchen, decides early on who he wants as the winner, and the rest of the episodes are set up to lead to that result. 

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

someone from the wardrobe department  coordinated numerous overalls and bandanas so he can always be dressed as a dumb hick.  

I have always thought that GR, on both Master Chef and Hells kitchen, decides early on who he wants as the winner, and the rest of the episodes are set up to lead to that result. 

Similar to Untucked after each episode of RuPaul's Drag Race,  Master Chef should have "Master Chef Raw" after each episode to show what really goes down each week.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, preeya said:

The two people that actually cooked get eliminated. While Nick doing only plating and quality control before the food gets to Gordan is safe. Sure looks like Nick is the chosen one. If he (Nick) was checking the outgoing dishes, how did the overcooked duck and the raw langoustine get out?

Also, as soon as Noah started bragging about his expertise on steak, I just knew he was going to fuck them up.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, xcrayon2215x said:

Noah was very lucky tonight, he is gone next. Nick has shown a lot of talent, I could see him winning.

Noah bragged and royally fucked-up. Nick did no cooking at all; just plating and "quality-control" which should have caught the errors made by the other two cooks that were eliminated because of those errors (overcooked duck that was sent back & undercooked langoustine).  BTW shouldn't The Amazing Gordan have stopped the "well-done duck" from being served? (IMHO: the duck incident was producer initiated)

Edited by preeya
  • Love 14

I agree with comments I've seen elsewhere that these last two episodes were designed to kick out Subha.  They claim there was a clear winner, but it was clear as mud in the editing.  I'm reluctantly okay with Shari going home for that performance, but Subha didn't do any worse than Dorian.

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, Darian said:

I guess I'm only glad that when the ferry (?) appeared, they didn't try to pretend Gordon was in the water, towing it to the dock. They do serve his ego a lot on this show. 

The first 10 minutes of the episode was "It's great to be Gordo.  He's so awesome."  It follows up from last week's theme of Saint Gordo.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

It was all I could do to sit through this episode. The fakery is glaring. And yes, Noah has to wear the overalls every episode due to that being his chosen look by production. He never wears them anywhere else that I’ve seen. 

Remember the woman who had to wear the headband with a big poofy bow all the time? Courtney and her CFM heels?

I always feel so sorry for anyone who is forced to maintain a “look” that isn’t them in real life at all. 

It looked awfully sunny and bright outside for everyone to have been having a STUNNING dinner at a 3-star restaurant. Again .... fake.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 12

I don't think Nick's the chosen one because at this point I think GR knows Subha's track record on team challenges, so why put the chosen one in a position to fail? It just so happens Noah managed to fuck up more than anyone could have predicted. Luckily the judges could just ignore it and pretend using up all of the scallops is the ultimate sin.

Pretty sure the blue team is our Final 3, with Noah sticking around as fodder. I don't think GR envisions Nick on a cookbook cover so he's probably a goner.

Edited by dmeets
got red and blue teams mixed up
  • Love 2

What I saw last night:

An ad for the Savoy.

The judges stunning entrance on a ferry. (Do they think we are entertained by that shit?)

Gordon picking the teams.

An ad for Gordan Ramsay restaurant.

Gordon plating his dishes.

Gordon shouting and cussing.

Gordon's family.

...Oh yeah, and the contestants were there, and the two that Gordon planned to axe went home. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
15 hours ago, surreysmum said:

The guy who's been told he has to, by production.  I was feeling for him, frankly. And I don't normally have much sympathy for him.

I agree. I felt badly for Noah when they made him go to the Savoy in his overalls and bandana and normally he bugs me.

10 hours ago, mertensia said:

Another stupid restaurant takeover. I hate these so much.

Bye, Subha. You deserved so much better. Bye, Shari; you got screwed, too.

The restaurant episodes are so pointless. I agree both Shari and Subha deserved better.

• Love 14

I had to laugh when Gordon shushed Shari with that line about being heard at the palace just before he yelled, cursed and threw food...

I felt sorry for Noah in his yokel outfit at the Savoy too, that was cruel. 

The best line was something about three going home before they leave London and all I could think was, well, technically all six of them are going home...

• LOL 6
  • Love 11
15 hours ago, surreysmum said:

The guy who's been told he has to, by production.  I was feeling for him, frankly. And I don't normally have much sympathy for him.

Do they also tell him to let his mouth hang open like he is catching flies? It makes him look even dumber than they are making him out to be. The overalls are so ridiculous.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

It was all I could do to sit through this episode. The fakery is glaring. And yes, Noah has to wear the overalls every episode due to that being his chosen look by production. He never wears them anywhere else that I’ve seen. 

Remember the woman who had to wear the headband with a big poofy bow all the time? Courtney and her CFM heels?

I always feel so sorry for anyone who is forced to maintain a “look” that isn’t them in real life at all. 

It looked awfully sunny and bright outside for everyone to have been having a STUNNING dinner at a 3-star restaurant. Again .... fake.

The kitchen looked fine but did anyone else think that dining room didn’t look like a 3 Michelin Star restaurant?   It looked like a small bland room they put some tables in.  No way that was a fancy Savoy restaurant.

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

The kitchen looked fine but did anyone else think that dining room didn’t look like a 3 Michelin Star restaurant?   It looked like a small bland room they put some tables in.  No way that was a fancy Savoy restaurant.

Looked like a hotel meeting room with one of those pullout walls.

• Love 9

I am already tired at all the ‘royal’ related comments.  

Fit for royalty.  

Shut up, Shari, they can hear you at Buckingham Palace!

hahahahahahaha!  

Looking forward to Nigella’s episode.  We don’t get to see much of her anymore due to her Coke Queen scandal.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

What I saw last night:

An ad for the Savoy.

The judges stunning entrance on a ferry. (Do they think we are entertained by that shit?)

Gordon picking the teams.

An ad for Gordan Ramsay restaurant.

Gordon plating his dishes.

Gordon shouting and cussing.

Gordon's family.

...Oh yeah, and the contestants were there, and the two that Gordon planned to axe went home. 

I found it very interesting that Gordo picked the teams and the captains, and made up the rules that barred Noah from being eliminated.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

That’s the real Restaurant Gordon Ramsay. Go on Yelp. Lots of pictures. Even a stain was visible on the carpet last night. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

And where or when did you ever see an owner/chef dismiss all the diners at the end of a service?

I guess that's the price you pay for dining at a STUNNING, AMAZING, THREE MICHELIN STAR RESTAURANT, owned and founded by Gordo.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Do they also tell him to let his mouth hang open like he is catching flies? It makes him look even dumber than they are making him out to be. The overalls are so ridiculous.

The way they splice and edit these shows, he probably had his mouth open a few times and they repeated it over and over... or spliced it up to make more scenes than actually happened. I’m about to the point of just reading here to find out what happened.

• Love 1

Noah, draw bridges open all the time.  It’s not just the Queen that has the Tower Bridge open.  But I just can’t believe he’s such a hick that he doesn’t own anything other than dumpy overalls and a bandanna.  He’d better be careful that the London gangs don’t mistake him for one of their own.  

I hate team challenges as much as I hate restaurant shows.  Shari got screwed and Noah should have been the one to go. 

• Love 6

I don't think getting their own cookbook is a prize anymore, is it?

I'm fine with Subha going but it sucks that Shari, who is a legit good home cook (the point of this show), gets kicked off on a restaurant challenge (not the point of this show).

That restaurant looked incredibly dated. I was really surprised by that.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Reality police said:

I never saw dessert. A three star dinner with no dessert? I would not have been happy. 

I wondered about that too. The way Gordon basically shooed everyone out of the restaurant was just weird. Really the whole episode was a head scratcher...wtf just happened??

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I'm in agreement with everyone here.  As soon as the teams were chosen I already knew who they were intending the winning team to be and which two from the losing team would be sent home.  It's bad when even the editing doesn't convince the audience that the Red Team was the legitimate loser, which is telling right there.  Subha getting sent home when he didn't do anything to deserve it felt unfair.  Meanwhile last week he was saved when he probably should have gone home then....It's very unsatisfying for the audience when they pull crap like this.  It makes us think it doesn't matter what the contestants do and everything is prearranged according to what the producers want.  Now I really don't give two craps who wins thinking it's all predetermined anyway. 

I get the feeling the next to go will be Noah given the editing to make him look like the weakest link on the Blue Team.  When Gordon commented on how he certainly didn't fit in in London dressed the way he was I got the feeling he felt sorry for Noah having to wear that ridiculous Mr. Green Jeans outfit.  His reaction told me he isn't responsible for the wardrobe choices.  Say what you want about Gordon but even he wouldn't want to subject someone to that kind of humiliation.  I've been to London a few times and I can't imagine being forced to walk around there in that outfit.

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Jack looks exactly like Gordon 😵

I was thinking the same thing - even to the point of wondering if Gordon did a quick change and took a seat at his family's (stunning) table.  Tilly looks like her father too.  Those Ramsay genes are powerful.

I too hate restaurant challenges.  They're just an excuse to publicize the host property.  And the diners' tables had been preassigned to a single team.  So maybe Blue's scallops were great, but Red's were even better.  We had no empirical means of judging.

Pure producer manipulation.

At least my dog likes the show.  She has a secret crush on Gordon and his Shar-Pei mug.

• Love 9

Contrast this to when Masterchef UK does a restaurant challenge. The restaurant and its chef get a short, simple intro. The chefs are responsible for a whole dish. They are shown going through the whole process of prep, cooking and plating. They are actually MENTORED along the way. The restaurant's chef is supportive and gives positive reinforcement along with constructive criticism. It usually ends in heartfelt hugs between the guest chef and each contestest. There is no shouting or cussing. No food is flung. They don't pretend like the service is super important for the restaurant as it is obviously a staged service. And they never base an elmination solely on these experiences, thus it is usually a wonderful learning experience for the cooks.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

What channel is Masterchef UK aired on? I remember watching it when I had Dish but after moving and now having local cable, I may not have the channel. It is a MUCH better show. Gordon’s shows are getting tiresome. I passed on HK last time, and this show is quickly becoming a joke/bore.

• Love 1