Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/30/2019 at 10:45 PM, Kerri Okie said:

So not to say Micah didn't play along, but it wouldn't surprise me if the producers were 100% behind it, maybe turning something innocuous like his parents not showing up at his audition because they thought he was wasting his time and would never make it onto the show into his parents disowning him for chasing his dream.  If so, I doubt the producers even bothered to try to contact Micah's family, since it wouldn't have fit the story they were telling.  

FWIW, Micah putting up a GFM page for any purpose doesn't bother me. I save all my disdain for those who contributed.

I've long known about that Ben Starr quote so it doesn't surprise me that not only the contestants' wardrobe but their entire persona in some cases is fabricated and fictionalized for reality show drama.  If that's the case it's no wonder Micah would use that to his advantage, but I still understand Jamie and others not respecting him for doing that.  Have some integrity.  Just because the show doesn't have any doesn't excuse him in my opinion.

On 8/30/2019 at 4:43 PM, preeya said:

yes, they wanted his perceived image to be the "big (perhaps dumb) hillbilly sewer worker from down south." Like sort of the Gomer Pyle of the kitchen.

I know, this has been annoying me all season.  It was nice to finally see a photo of him wearing a normal shirt!

8 hours ago, surreysmum said:

Ah, an IT guy. That makes more sense.

Yes.  And damned handsome, too!  😉

• Love 3

Micah said on twitter that the show chose to not let his friend come to support him. 

We kinda figured it out though. 

Masterchef sucks anyway.

“The show was actually going to have my freind come out. They CHOSE to not let him come out 💯👀😤#factsarefacts #MasterChef” Micah on Twitter 

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, lu1535 said:

PS. I live in Florida, is this the year of Dorian? I can't look at her without wondering if my house will be around next week.

It would be really ironic if she got eliminated just as the hurricane was coming on shore.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

I don’t like Dorian after the way she treated Subha. She is mean. And her food is nice but not Masterchef level. 

ITA, but she seems to be one of the chosen few. She'll somehow make the finale.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Such A Flirt said:

Does this mean Gordon didn't follow through with his offer to help Micah?

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it? Micah posting stuff that is probably in violation of his non-disclosure agreement. Why would he need money to travel the US if he was under Gordon’s wing??

Well, Micah didn’t stick to the script. Started posting pics of himself with his loving family. Talking about what went on behind the scenes. That will usually warrant a hefty fine if they break the NDA. He and Jamie were fighting online, Jamie calling him out on his fake stories.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

Does this mean Gordon didn't follow through with his offer to help Micah?

The only offer that I recall was that GR would set up some sort of "meeting" which I assume would be targeted toward getting him (Micah) a position in a restaurant. Beyond that, he was just acting as "post Masterchef mentor" with no actual promises or financial assistance. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

So, Gordon could have set up a meeting which Micah blew off ... or there was no meeting, and the GoFundMe started so he could travel the country instead. 

However, GR did say after the meeting would take place after the competition was over. That may have meant after all episodes had aired, and the viewers knew who the winner was. (Not that I'm trying to defend GR. I really don't like the guy.)

So Gordon says that this was the first time in 10 seasons they didn't have family come.  However, it happened in season 4.  I've been watching old seasons on Hulu, and in season 4, Kristi's son couldn't come (I assume because he was young and still in school - I think they said he couldn't miss standardized testing) and so she didn't have anyone come out.  They just had her son make a video for her.  It just bugged me.  10 seasons isn't that many that we've forgotten everything that has happened before (especially when they're all now available on streaming!)

• Love 6
5 hours ago, preeya said:

The only offer that I recall was that GR would set up some sort of "meeting" which I assume would be targeted toward getting him (Micah) a position in a restaurant. Beyond that, he was just acting as "post Masterchef mentor" with no actual promises or financial assistance. 

I've wondered if Gordon was aware of some problem with Micah before the episode was filmed.  He was very vague about promising anything in contrast to offers he's made in the past to people he thought really had talent.  Also, he didn't call Micah up to the stage for the usual hug and to say good-bye like he usually does.  I thought that was curious at the time but, in retrospect, it seems even odder.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

So Gordon says that this was the first time in 10 seasons they didn't have family come.  However, it happened in season 4.  I've been watching old seasons on Hulu, and in season 4, Kristi's son couldn't come (I assume because he was young and still in school - I think they said he couldn't miss standardized testing) and so she didn't have anyone come out.  They just had her son make a video for her.  It just bugged me.  10 seasons isn't that many that we've forgotten everything that has happened before (especially when they're all now available on streaming!)

I watched season 4 this summer on YouTube and I found the whole situation ver humiliating for her. Specially when Kristi was supposed to be the villain that season.

Edited by El maestro
On 9/2/2019 at 6:21 PM, galaxychaser said:

I don’t like Dorian after the way she treated Subha. She is mean. And her food is nice but not Masterchef level. 

I agree.

Dorian is a great home cook, but she hasn’t done anything awesome during the whole season.

i know is reality TV but her meltdown during the team challenge with Subha was totally out of place. They went ahead thanks to his flavors.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I think there was a lot more going on behind the scenes concerning Micah than the public has been told. The entire episode, looking at it now with what’s happened in real time, was bizarre.

I know, I've thought the same thing, and based on what we've seen I wouldn't automatically assume that Gordon was/is being unfair to him.  There may be stuff Micah did that would explain this bizarre episode.  Also, the fact that other contestants are pissed at him online doesn't make me automatically believe that he was the one wronged.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I know, I've thought the same thing, and based on what we've seen I wouldn't automatically assume that Gordon was/is being unfair to him.  There may be stuff Micah did that would explain this bizarre episode.  Also, the fact that other contestants are pissed at him online doesn't make me automatically believe that he was the one wronged.

Unless you were there to witness this whole "brouhaha" everything is pure speculation at best. Perhaps after the finale airs someone will put this entire matter in proper perspective and publicize it, of which I am doubtful.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Unless you were there to witness this whole "brouhaha" everything is pure speculation at best. Perhaps after the finale airs someone will put this entire matter in proper perspective and publicize it, of which I am doubtful.

Of course it's speculation, that's what we do best here.....😉

Sometimes things do come out later.  I remember other seasons where that was the case.  Things are rarely as they seem on this show, that's one thing that's for sure.

• Love 7

Just caught up with this season. OMG, it's worse than I feared. So bad. Gordon was on the AU version 2 seasons ago for a week, and he was totally different as a mentor there. He seemed jealous that the AU version is such a phenomenon. I think he kind of try to inject some of their protocols into US version, but it doesn't work cuz the US version is so fake, bombastic, dramatic and absurd. Just like Gordon. Thank God they do not let him near my beloved Masterchef UK.

What I hate most is they hardly ever show the contestants actually cooking. We mostly get shots of the judges talking about the contestants cooking choices, and shots of the judges interviewing them while they are cooking, but no cooking. I just FF to the end to see the finished dishes.  

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

What I hate most is they hardly ever show the contestants actually cooking. We mostly get shots of the judges talking about the contestants cooking choices, and shots of the judges interviewing them while they are cooking, but no cooking. I just FF to the end to see the finished dishes.  

Me too, but I wouldn't call it "interviewing while cooking," more like harassment while they are under time constraints. I really hate that part of the show. Just let them cook without interjecting some BS opinions or asinine comments.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 14

I just noticed that, under Dorian's name, her occupation (?) was "creeler". What the heck is that?

I absolutely DESPISE these restaurant challenges. It ties *my* stomach up in knots, and I'm not even cooking.  Not enjoyable at all.

Ugh, why do I torture myself so?

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

I absolutely DESPISE these restaurant challenges

Me too. This NOT what home cooks do. Ramsey's been in the business for over 20 years and he chastizes the amateurs like they were born in his AMAZING, THREE MICHELIN STAR (already mentioned a gazillion times) RESTAURANT. What a bully,

• Love 15
33 minutes ago, preeya said:

Me too. This NOT what home cooks do. Ramsey's been in the business for over 20 years and he chastizes the amateurs like they were born in his AMAZING, THREE MICHELIN STAR (already mentioned a gazillion times) RESTAURANT. What a bully,

But......the level of education they have received on this show.....it is almost Culinary school level! Good stuff!

I think before the taping they get more in depth demos and lots of cooking tutorials.

The chef’s demo on the show....is for us.....the viewers.

At the restaurant they were mostly cooking the protein.   

You cannot cook a scallop, filet or shrimp?....??

Gordon wants Nick to win! 🍿

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

Gordon wants Nick to win! 🍿

The two people that actually cooked get eliminated. While Nick doing only plating and quality control before the food gets to Gordan is safe. Sure does look like GR wants him to win. If he (Nick) was checking the outgoing dishes, how did the overcooked duck and the raw langoustine get out?

Also, as soon as Noah started bragging about his expertise on steak, I just knew he was going to fuck them up.

And who goes into one of the most exclusive hotels in the world dressed as a hillbilly, wearing overalls and a bandanna?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 7

This was the most stunning episode of season three, and it was amazing seeing the contestants in Gordon's ten Michelin star restaurant.

There may be one or more inaccuracies in the above sentence due to the amount of alcohol I felt compelled to consume in order to make it through tonight's stunningly amazing episode.

• LOL 13
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, preeya said:

And who goes into one of the most exclusive hotels in the world dressed as a hillbilly, wearing overalls and a bandanna?

The guy who's been told he has to, by production.  I was feeling for him, frankly. And I don't normally have much sympathy for him.

• Love 24