Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, galaxychaser said:

Gordon covered his ass since he really didn’t promise him anything specific like

paying for culinary school 

giving him a job for 2 months in his restaurant 

I already deleted the episode.

I thought I heard Gordon mention Culinary school.  

Did he promise him anything?

Yea, please.....someone post the Reddit link.  I am curious, too. 

1 minute ago, Deskisamess said:

The Masterchef Facebook Page is full of gushing support for how wonderful GR is for offering to mentor him. No one is being critical of the show and the obvious manipulation of the entire thing.

They exploited a lower class kid from Michigan for the sake of ratings and to anoint "Savior Gordon."

2 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

The Masterchef Facebook Page is full of gushing support for how wonderful GR is for offering to mentor him. No one is being critical of the show and the obvious manipulation of the entire thing.

Did the producers write all the gushing support for our Savior Gordon.

3 hours ago, hhawks said:

I completely agree that they should have eliminated the entire family part. 

Considering all the family members did was give them one hug, stand in the balcony for one challenge, then promptly leave, I'm not sure why they were there to begin with.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

Am I the only one not buying this?  

I have a feeling there are no parents.....junkies.........jail.....divorced/family separation.........I dunno......maybe my imagination is running wild....here. 

You are not alone, I just chose not to comment (speculate) on stuff posted on the Internet. That said, however, there are some photos allegedly posted by Micah on Instagram that IMHO indicates to me the possibility of a broken home, foster home, or whatever. In my, mind those photos just don't jive with his story.

1 minute ago, preeya said:

You are not alone, I just chose not to comment (speculate) on stuff posted on the Internet. That said, however, there are some photos allegedly posted by Micah on Instagram that IMHO indicates to me the possibility of a broken home, foster home, or whatever. In my, mind those photos just don't jive with his story.

I just hope he is given an opportunity to take advantage of all his culinary skills.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, hhawks said:

I just hope he is given an opportunity to take advantage of all his culinary skills.

If it's true that Micah is from a broken or foster home, and the producers would know for sure, then the scripting of last night's episode is even more despicable.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Gold chain is probably plated!  🤣 Geeesh.......Jamie is acting like a jerk! 

I had to look him up......bc, I already forgot.

Micah wants a GFM to eat and travel! (Maybe cook) 

Well.....isn’t that peachy?

If he wants to be a serious Chef......he better get used to being poor! 

You need a solid education to handle a working kitchen and climb that ladder.......and, let me tell yah.....you will never find a pot of gold! 🌈💰😭

Does anyone remember the first episode?  When they audition and there is usually family with them.

Who was there with Micah?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Dance4Life said:

Gold chain is probably plated!  🤣 Geeesh.......Jamie is acting like a jerk! 

I had to look him up......bc, I already forgot.

Micah wants a GFM to eat and travel! (Maybe cook) 

Well.....isn’t that peachy?

If he wants to be a serious Chef......he better get used to being poor! 

You need a solid education to handle a working kitchen and climb that ladder.......and, let me tell yah.....you will never find a pot of gold! 🌈💰😭

Does anyone remember the first episode?  When they audition and there is usually family with them.

Who was there with Micah?

He came alone.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Deskisamess said:

Go to Gordon Ramsay’s Facebook page, there are a few pointing out the glaring truth.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:
Basically Jamie said Micah is Lying about being poor and being estranged from his family. Bought gold chains.

And makes fun of ugly people on tinder. 

Im off to read some more.

I saw on another thread someone said "other contestants" called him out for posting lovey-dovey photos of him with his family.  Plus he even mentioned in this episode at one point that his father "always had his back".  So it seems that there is enough inconsistency to shed doubt on the sob story he has presented about his parents not supporting him.  It looks like he fabricated that in order to raise money to pursue his ambitions.  Not saying I believe any of this, though.

11 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Go to Gordon Ramsay’s Facebook page, there are a few pointing out the glaring truth.

I only saw one woman that claimed Micah's parents were out of the country at the time, not deliberately absent.  Were there more comments?  I didn't see them if so.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I was cooking myself during the show last night (attempting macarons for the first time), so I was listening but not entirely watching. But I actually yelled out "bullshit!" when Subha was saved over Micah. No, let's not save the 19-year-old who has shown steady progression and an ability to learn; we should keep the 54-year-old who spices his food very well but never listens to or applies the critiques and lessons the judges provide him.

Should one of the reasons Subha gets sent home be his age in comparison to Micah?  I'm sure that what Subha lacks he makes up for in other areas that Micah can't begin to live up to, but that's just my opinion.

I actually think it's to Subha's credit that as a home cook with no restaurant experience (presumably) he was able to keep up as well as he did.  And I actually think his age makes it all the more admirable - I know that at 54 I would have had a little difficulty keeping up with cooks that were less than half my age!  Also, young people are closer to having been in school or pushed by coaches.  People over 50 may not be used to being in that atmosphere.

7 hours ago, mlp said:

Subha is twice the age of some of the other contestants and he's not used to speed cooking with someone yelling at him.  I totally understand why he gets flustered.  In the end, his food tastes good even though it's not artfully displayed.  That saves him.  I don't think he'll win but I do think he deserves to be there.  

EXACTLY.  This times 1,000.  Here's another heart for you! ❤️

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Dance4Life said:

Am I the only one not buying this?  

I have a feeling there are no parents.....junkies.........jail.....divorced/family separation.........I dunno......maybe my imagination is running wild....here. 

Maybe they just don’t want to be on TV. 

I know I don’t want to be on any kind of mass media.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, El maestro said:

Maybe they just don’t want to be on TV. 

I know I don’t want to be on any kind of mass media.

I too have an intense aversion to mass media, but I would suck it up to support my son and his dream.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Can you post a link?

Not sure I can.  I found it by looking of Micah of Master Chef on google and it came up there with a bunch of other stories about him.  Sorry.

13 hours ago, Dance4Life said:

This season sucks! 

No, it doesn't suck, it's Season Ten!  Just last week they took what would have been a two hour show (split over two nights) earlier in the season, and presented it all in a one hour time slot  without losing anything.  Big Fish Little Fish are masters of space and time!  As Aaaaaron might say, it's absolutely picayune!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

He picked the right time to launch a GoFundMe, didn’t he? The more info that comes out about him, the more I am withdrawing my sympathy.

I'm wondering about him too.  Something doesn't sound right.

• Love 1

I try to remind myself that Micah is only 19 and, I'm making assumptions here, he probably hasn't ever had good role models or any money of his own. Maybe the gofundme was a bad choice but I wonder if Micah has people around him who are encouraging him to make bad choices. He seems like a nice kid and there are a lot of people who might want to help him and there are a lot who might want to victimize him. Heck, the first time I had money of my own I blew it on junk. Lots of young people do. (Actually I still do it.)

I will admit that gofundme is bothersome. But Jamie's response (to cut him off and crap on him on reddit) is also troubling. Maybe if some of the older guys tried mentoring Micah it would help.

Nothing excuses the show for how they treated him.

Does anyone know when the show was taped? Did Gordon follow thru on his vague promise to help Micah? Or does GR just forget when the cameras are off him.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, zibnchy said:

I try to remind myself that Micah is only 19 and, I'm making assumptions here, he probably hasn't ever had good role models or any money of his own. Maybe the gofundme was a bad choice but I wonder if Micah has people around him who are encouraging him to make bad choices. He seems like a nice kid and there are a lot of people who might want to help him and there are a lot who might want to victimize him. Heck, the first time I had money of my own I blew it on junk. Lots of young people do. (Actually I still do it.)

I will admit that gofundme is bothersome. But Jamie's response (to cut him off and crap on him on reddit) is also troubling. Maybe if some of the older guys tried mentoring Micah it would help.

Does anyone know when the show was taped? Did Gordon follow thru on his vague promise to help Micah? Or does GR just forget when the cameras are off him.

Micah seems to be a talented, lower class kid with few opportunities, so I don't begrudge him a GoFundMe account.  I would be more annoyed if country club Nick started a GoFundMe.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Not to long ago. Daphnia Oz was pregnant. She had the baby on 8/14. So maybe 5 months ago?

• Useful 1

I'm disgusted. WTH! They/he are playing us.

At such a young age, Yaroch’s family had hoped he would go to college, but he wasn’t prepared to turn his back on cooking, which has been his biggest passion for years. When he left for L.A., Yaroch’s parents weren’t happy with his decision, he said. Nevertheless, they always knew he could succeed.

“When I told my dad about how I did, he told me that he wasn’t surprised at all,” Yaroch recalled. “He was like ‘Micah, I know that you have talent by the boatloads. There was never a doubt in my mind that you would make the top 10 — I would have been shocked if you came home earlier than you did because you have the talent.’ He was just trying to keep my best interest at heart, which I understand and appreciate, but at the same time it’s hard because you can’t just give up on your dream.”

https://www.kpcnews.com/northwestnews/article_729a3dfd-4b5d-5f5a-82fe-005803ceaaa3.html

PS. I live in Florida, is this the year of Dorian? I can't look at her without wondering if my house will be around next week.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, lu1535 said:

I'm disgusted. WTH! They/he are playing us.

At such a young age, Yaroch’s family had hoped he would go to college, but he wasn’t prepared to turn his back on cooking, which has been his biggest passion for years. When he left for L.A., Yaroch’s parents weren’t happy with his decision, he said. Nevertheless, they always knew he could succeed.

“When I told my dad about how I did, he told me that he wasn’t surprised at all,” Yaroch recalled. “He was like ‘Micah, I know that you have talent by the boatloads. There was never a doubt in my mind that you would make the top 10 — I would have been shocked if you came home earlier than you did because you have the talent.’ He was just trying to keep my best interest at heart, which I understand and appreciate, but at the same time it’s hard because you can’t just give up on your dream.”

https://www.kpcnews.com/northwestnews/article_729a3dfd-4b5d-5f5a-82fe-005803ceaaa3.html

PS. I live in Florida, is this the year of Dorian? I can't look at her without wondering if my house will be around next week.

That's a pretty damning article concerning Micah's credibility and the image he projected on the show.  Last time some one was that bad, it was Bowen who gave the image of just arriving from China when in reality he had been living in Indiana since his early teens and was a graduate of Purdue.  Said he never had pasta in his life.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I think Micah is lying on his own or the producers encouraged him to lie.

That's too bad.  Maybe Gordon knew a lot more than he let on and could have been the reason he didn't step up and offer to send him to culinary school like he did with another contestant a few years ago.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

It's all disturbing and possibly more so because of the trainwreck of a season. Excuse me -- this amazing, awesome, magical, trainwreck of a season 10!!!

Now I am actually rooting for Noah. He's weird and his food looks like actual shit but he seems like an agreeable dope and I think he'd do a fine job promoting the brand.

A brand new season of Great British Bake Off just started. It is also their 10th season. Their amazing, awesome 10th season twist? They started with 13 bakers instead of 12! Get it? A Baker's Dozen! Amazing! (I love GBBO so much.)

• Love 3

I don’t begrudge Micah setting up the go fund me if it was for something important not for him to travel the country.  I the article linked above he talks about working so why does he needed our money to the tune of 4450.00.  I think he is a grifter.

1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

You can see from the photo I posted above that Noah doesn’t go around in overalls. I’ve never seen him in them except on the show. I guess that was production’s wardrobe choice for him.

yes, they wanted his perceived image to be the "big (perhaps dumb) hillbilly sewer worker from down south." Like sort of the Gomer Pyle of the kitchen.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Now I am actually rooting for Noah. He's weird and his food looks like actual shit but he seems like an agreeable dope and I think he'd do a fine job promoting the brand.

yes, they wanted his perceived image to be the "big (perhaps dumb) hick sewer worker from down south." Like sort of the Gomer Pyle of the kitchen.

zibnchy, preeya, you guys are hilarious! 

zibnchy - talk about "damning with faint praise". :-)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, zibnchy said:

It's all disturbing and possibly more so because of the trainwreck of a season. Excuse me -- this amazing, awesome, magical, trainwreck of a season 10!!!

A brand new season of Great British Bake Off just started. It is also their 10th season. Their amazing, awesome 10th season twist? They started with 13 bakers instead of 12! Get it? A Baker's Dozen! Amazing! (I love GBBO so much.)

Yes it's a trainwreck of a season, but on the bright side, I liked the way Micah was dressed the past couple of weeks, at least compared to Noah's silly country bumpkin theme.  And I was also impressed with Shari's good looking husband.   They must have faced a few raised eyebrows in Rochester, Minnesota.  I wonder if he works at the Mayo Clinic there.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:33 PM, mlp said:

I don't either, especially when the contestants get all weepy and act like they haven't seen whomever for several years.  I live in Illinois.  My son and his family live in California and my younger daughter lives in south Florida.  We all see each other only every two or three years and we don't act like that.  Of course, we're not on TV.

Exactly.  If I don't see my son, my dad, my sister, for a month, it's not a big deal.

On 8/29/2019 at 3:35 AM, galaxychaser said:

No one came to my college graduation either. It sucked. Poor Micah I know how he felt.

Same.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:02 AM, Deskisamess said:

Gah, was it necessary to see hunky hubby grab her butt with her legs wrapped around him when they greeted? It's not like she's been deployed for 18 months.

On another show, that is called the obligatory bachelor handshake. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I just happened to be reading one of those click-bait "exposés" today, this one about reality shows being fake.  Shocking, I know, and it didn't really contain anything we don't already know, such as the home buyers in House Hunters are already in escrow before going on the show and things like that, but they had this to say about Masterchef:   

A former contestant, Ben Starr, revealed that before signing on, they had to agree to potentially being “fictionalized,” which would sometimes include humiliating portrayals that wasn’t true to who they were. Starr said that producers also faked lines of dialogue, sometimes splicing bits of dialogue to make it seem like a contestant said something, when they didn’t say that thing at all. 

So not to say Micah didn't play along, but it wouldn't surprise me if the producers were 100% behind it, maybe turning something innocuous like his parents not showing up at his audition because they thought he was wasting his time and would never make it onto the show into his parents disowning him for chasing his dream.  If so, I doubt the producers even bothered to try to contact Micah's family, since it wouldn't have fit the story they were telling.  

FWIW, Micah putting up a GFM page for any purpose doesn't bother me. I save all my disdain for those who contributed.

Edited by Kerri Okie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Hate-watching this is bad for my health!  At least on the equally manipulative and bogus visions of "reality" involving fashion design, dancing or singing I get to see an outfit, watch a dance, hear a song.  Maybe if I could taste the food instead of listening to judges stretching their foodie vocabulary to the breaking point trying to describe it, I would stick around.

Peace out.

C218CC5E-7C55-418E-A6C5-AE4CA826732B.jpeg

• Love 1

I remember watching Big Brother in Spain and when some celebrity commentator criticized BB, a few days some of the contestants were saying bad things about that person.

some of the contestants work for the producers, just to create some drama. I have even seen fake game shows contestants who later became actors or singers.

12 hours ago, hhawks said:

Yes it's a trainwreck of a season, but on the bright side, I liked the way Micah was dressed the past couple of weeks, at least compared to Noah's silly country bumpkin theme.  And I was also impressed with Shari's good looking husband.   They must have faced a few raised eyebrows in Rochester, Minnesota.  I wonder if he works at the Mayo Clinic there.

Correct.  Shari's husband is an architect at the Mayo Clinic.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, cameron said:

Correct.  Shari's husband is an architect at the Mayo Clinic.

I'm surprised the Mayo Clinic has an ongoing need for architects - I would have assumed they hired architectural firms whenever they might need to build or update something (or perhaps that is the situation)

5 minutes ago, akr said:

I'm surprised the Mayo Clinic has an ongoing need for architects - I would have assumed they hired architectural firms whenever they might need to build or update something (or perhaps that is the situation)

Just looked up his name and the Mayo Clinic and that's what came up.  They called him a "solutions architect".

Edited by cameron
  • Love 4