Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, preeya said:

My thought, exactly and it would be quite expensive to buy all that stuff.

You buy spices from the Bulk Section.  

Mine usually come out to about 10 cents per baggie.

Biryani has so many steps....though!  

Subha is a Champ!!!!

• Love 4

I love Daphne!  It was so nice to see her.

Y’all notice how all the Judges were on their best behavior, though?! 

Nobody said anything mean or snarky and even gave.....Subha top prize.

Even Bri......she didn’t start her crying like she always does. 

The powers of Daphne!   🙌🏻

Fuck off, Bri!  All you have done is ‘Plated’ the most horrible food on the planet! 

But, if ........nvm........Good Bye, Bri....! 😭

3 hours ago, cameron said:

Wonder what home reader of Family Circle is going to have a cabinet full of spices like the ones he used.

All those are available at any local Indian store, except maybe the saffron. I don't think the point of Family Circle is to ensure you never have to venture outside of your local Kroger?

I also would assume the simple answer to your question is "a South Asian family".

Edited by displayname
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, displayname said:

All those are available at any local Indian store, except maybe the saffron. I don't think the point of Family Circle is to ensure you never have to venture outside of your local Kroger?

I also would assume the simple answer to your question is "a South Asian family".

You know who has a cabinet full off Subha spices???

Shari from Minnesota! 🙀

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Me, too, but I haven't looked at Family Circle since my mom was alive and I was trying to read everything in my parents' house to alleviate boredom.

It's usually available to alleviate boredom in doctors' offices, too.

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Daphne's Carol/ScarletO'Hara/Burnett window fashion was stunning!

I couldn't figure out if she was wearing a kitchen apron with nothing else underneath, or if she was wearing a tablecloth. I didn't think of curtains instead. I was also thinking more Little House on the Prairie, than Carol Burnett.

Edited by eel21788
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, preeya said:

GR's egotism conquers JB's snobbery.  Were we supposed to think he wouldn't produce something unbelievably stunning in 30 fricken minutes? REALLY!!!!

Were we really supposed to believe that is was an impromptu decision, and he hadn't had weeks, if not months, in advance to decide exactly what he was going to cook and how to execute it? He also pulled it out of the oven at the last minute, then did the plating when he was in front of the judges. Would they let a real contestant get away with that?

• Love 8
6 hours ago, mertensia said:

I suspect Joe has the number of James Beard winners from each state memorized. 

James Beard was from Oregon. It makes me wonder if Oregon would be included in the States I Express Utter Distain For, or if it gets a pass because of James Beard.

• LOL 2
24 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I couldn't figure out if she was wearing a kitchen apron with nothing else underneath, or if she was wearing a tablecloth. I didn't think of curtains instead.

Well, she looked way better than some of those dresses that some pregnant women wear that make them look like stuffed sausages.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, preeya said:

My thought, exactly and it would be quite expensive to buy all that stuff.

And how heartbreaking when you clean out cabinets and those $6.jars have have no smell left!

1 hour ago, Dance4Life said:

You buy spices from the Bulk Section.

My BFF swears that her WinCo bulk spices rock.  Gotta go take a look.

Just me, or did those cast iron skillets look a bit newish?  Until cast iron is really seasoned it's not worth a damn.  I've been working on a skillet for almost two years and it's getting there!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Just me, or did those cast iron skillets look a bit newish?  Until cast iron is really seasoned it's not worth a damn.  I've been working on a skillet for almost two years and it's getting there!

Which is why Bri's fish stuck to the pan.  If it had been properly seasoned, that wouldn't have happened.  

Speaking of whom -- poor Bri, that Heidi look the producers chose for her this episode was awful.  And although admittedly, I was never a fan of Masterchef Barbi, I have to admit that I felt a little sorry for her.  It was almost as though they built her up for a big let down.

Edited by Rammchick
Because chose and choice aren't the same thing
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

Which is why Bri's fish stuck to the pan.  If it had been properly seasoned, that wouldn't have happened.  

Yeah.  My Lodge cast iron pan looks like something Wilma would have used on Fred Flintstone while arguing about the remote control.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

It's usually available to alleviate boredom in doctors' offices, too.

Off topic for a sec.... I was in a waiting room with my grand-nephew, who at age 6 can read quite well. He was perusing a magazine and found an ad: “Menopause. That’s something women have? Why’s it named after men? Do men cause it?”

It was all I could do not to fall out of my chair laughing.

A friend gave me some bulk spices that I’d never heard of. Maybe I’ll check out Subha’s recipe and see what I can come up with.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

I thought Subha's dish looked really good and I wanted to try it so I looked up the recipe and, like others above, was daunted by the sheer number of ingredients many of which I'd have to buy.  I suppose someone who regularly cooks Indian food has most of those things on hand but I sure don't.

I felt sort of bad for Noah.  Granted his plating wasn't great but that bean puree looked exactly like something that had sitting under hot lights drying out while he waited his turn.  I doubt that dishes are judged in rapid succession the way we are shown they are.

I didn't really dislike Bri because she seemed more like a fictional character than a real person.  That said, I thought she lasted longer than she should have so I wasn't sorry to see her go.

I don't understand the judges' interest in Dorian.  She hasn't done anything exceptional and she cries just as often as Bri did.  I think the only ones who actually have the "passion" for cooking that you hear real chefs talk about are Nick and Micah.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

Yeah, kinda not fair, but the RAWWWW was on her.  Without decent seasoning, the challenge was really just a "one pan meal".

My Mother's 60+ yr cast iron is more non-stick than any Teflon, magic copper porcelain coated crap on the market.

I wouldn't even use mine for a long time because Everything sticks when it's new.  Oil & Pam don't help much.  It's just lots of use!

8 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

My Lodge cast iron pan looks like something Wilma 

Lodge is Good Stuff!  Pretty darn spendy, too!   I've bought it for wedding & shower gifts in the past.

I saw some relatively inexpensive "cast iron" at Aldi's today. Can't help but wonder if there isn't lead or undesirable metals in it?  

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I want someone to mail this to Joe. The friendliest state in the US is none other than Minnesota.

This is probably why Joe is only ALLOWED to stay for one day...they don't want to lose their standing. 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Menopause. That’s something women have? Why’s it named after men? Do men cause it?”

OMG!  I got tears here!  😂🤣😂🤣  Out of the mouth of babes!  The kid's pretty astute!  It sure as hell "paused my interest in living with men".

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Well, she looked way better than some of those dresses that some pregnant women wear that make them look like stuffed sausages.

My thoughts exactly. I'm a baby boomer, and hey, while I'm not losing any sleep over women's personal preferences in maternity garments--wear what you want, fine by me-- I'm personally not a fan of today's popular skin-tight maternity dresses and tops that put every line and crevice of the woman's protruding navel on graphic display. Guess I'm old-fashioned that way. 

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

And how heartbreaking when you clean out cabinets and those $6.jars have have no smell left!

My BFF swears that her WinCo bulk spices rock.  Gotta go take a look.

Yea!  Shop the bulk section...for sure.  Save lots of money when cooking.

A lot of rice & chicken (etc) dishes use a lot of ingredients and spices.  Biryani, Arroz con Pollo, Fried Rice, Paella, Jambalaya....etc. 

Biryani needs Raita, too!  So, more ingredients, 🤣

I like lamb biryani....so, expensive to make.  Better to eat at a restaurant. 

It is Feast food! 🥘

• Love 4

I was surprised that they didn’t tape this as long ago as they usually do because Daphne was several months pregnant and she just gave birth last week, usually this show sits on the shelf for a lot longer.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, zillabreeze said:

Can't help but wonder if there isn't lead or undesirable metals in it?  

Probably not, cast iron basically pretty pure iron and iron is about the cheapest metal out there. Also cast iron has specific properties that would probably be lost with any significant impurities. However, like any other new cookware or glassware, it should be washed thoroughly before using with food, many of the manufacturing steps use mold release or forming lube that are not healthy. As mentioned, once you wash new cast iron, seasoning is a slow process which I have found is speeded up using either lard, suet or olive oil and time in a low slow (~250-300 F) oven, followed by well oiled use until the cooking surface is a beautiful slightly shiny black. (Okay, I've said enough about cast iron, or maybe too much but it is a fascinating metal with unique properties)

Edited by DoctorK
clarification
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

or olive oil and time in a low slow (~250-300 F) oven, followed by well oiled use until the cooking

I can talk cookware all day!!!  I just made up my mind to use the skillet in the oven every possible chance, regardless of the food, with a good oiling after every use. Living alone, that's easy.

My hesitation at the Aldi's cast iron was assuming that at $10. for a griddle, it likely came from China and I'm always hesitant.   Maybe dumb question, but can something be labeled "cast" and have other base metals added in the forging process?

K. To not aggravate the mods😉.  I thought the pans looked too new and the whole challenge was just a stupid reach because they are running out of ideas to cause drama.  Dog forbid they go back 8 stunning seasons and have normal people cooking delicious looking food without all the histrionics.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Maybe dumb question, but can something be labeled "cast" and have other base metals added in the forging process?

Briefly, cast is pretty pure iron melted and poured into a mold  to cool off, you can usually see the slightly rough surfaces formed by casting on the ouside of a skillet and sometimes even the casting seam especially along the handle. Once cast iron comes out of the mold, it cannot be forged (i.e., deformed by pressure) because it is very brittle but some surfaces can be shaped by grinding.  Cast iron cookware is pretty much the same thing regardless of the source, it  describes the process (which requires a particular form of iron) rather than the product. Hope that helps.

Edited by DoctorK
more clarification
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

OMG!  I got tears here!  😂🤣😂🤣  Out of the mouth of babes!  The kid's pretty astute!  It sure as hell "paused my interest in living with men".

I love taking him places. He sees things I’d never see, or never make the comments like he does.

• Love 1

I'm jealous of those of you who have offline access to ethinc markets, grocery stores that have bulk spices, or any spices at all outside of salt/pepper/garlic/paprika. There is only 1 grocery store in my entire county and it's a Sav a Lot (think 2 steps below Aldis). The nearest Kroger, or even Walmart, is an hour away. Our "international section" is 2 shelves of tortillas, refried beans, and salsa at the Shell Mart (a gas station that doubles as a pizza buffet). To reach an ethnic store of any kind I'd have to drive to the other end of my state.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed Daphne's presentation when she made her food and her judging critiques. Wouldn't mind seeing her return as a guest. I never seen The Chew so don't know how she was on that show.

Like Gordon didn't know what he was cooking in 30 minutes. I believe he knew what the challenge was and already had it in his head what he was going to cook and of course judges were going to praise the dish. However, I did like that Ramsay said he wish his crust was a little thicker on the pot pie.

Bri her plating her was bad again, it looked like a door stopper. YES YES YES she's gone!!!! FINALLY!!!! Gordon let's not lie her plating was horrible. Bri you're not the best plater you're mediocre.

Noah OMG that dish looked horrible. Looked like something you find in a baby's diaper. Yikes, couldn't even eat that. Blech.

Micah continues to plate badly, the colors were so muted. I don't understand why when judges give them helpful criticism the contestants don't want to listen and continue to do what they were doing and the judges usually hate your dish and you end up in the bottom.

Nick & Subha's dishes did look really good though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you weren't allowed to go back in the pantry once you have all your ingredients? I remember one season where the judges said you couldn't go back in the pantry once you're done yet this season I've seen contestants run back in there.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, SweetSin said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you weren't allowed to go back in the pantry once you have all your ingredients? I remember one season where the judges said you couldn't go back in the pantry once you're done yet this season I've seen contestants run back in there. 

This ↑

Yes, I believe that was once a rule because I do recall there were instances where someone forgot something and they had to beg the other cheftestants for the missing product.  But this is SEASON TEN so the norm does not apply.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Maybe it’s the new Bri Rule.

You screw up your dish but since you are a Barbie wannabe bimbo, you can go back into the pantry.

I’ve never seen it allowed until this episode. Maybe that’s why she got the axe, they’d have a very hard time justifying her breaking a rule.

• Love 4

I'm jealous of those of you who have offline access to ethinc markets, grocery stores that have bulk spices, or any spices at all outside of salt/pepper/garlic/paprika. There is only 1 grocery store in my entire county and it's a Sav a Lot (think 2 steps below Aldis). The nearest Kroger, or even Walmart, is an hour away. Our "international section" is 2 shelves of tortillas, refried beans, and salsa at the Shell Mart (a gas station that doubles as a pizza buffet). To reach an ethnic store of any kind I'd have to drive to the other end of my state.

I got all my Indian spices (including the cool spice box) on Amazon.  They have EVERYTHING.

• Love 4

My first post. After all, it IS stunning, herbaceous, unctuous, and septic-system-ready Season 10. You guys all crack me up, and Aerobicidal (hope I spelled that right), you usually make me spit out my coffee with laughter.

Not sure if this will make a link, but I get all my spices online from Penzeys.com. They're excellent, there are always sales and even freebies, and the owner has a conscience. A liberal conscience, if that matters to anyone. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
59 minutes ago, Spicysweet said:

My first post. After all, it IS stunning, herbaceous, unctuous, and septic-system-ready Season 10. You guys all crack me up, and Aerobicidal (hope I spelled that right), you usually make me spit out my coffee with laughter.

Not sure if this will make a link, but I get all my spices online from Penzeys.com. They're excellent, there are always sales and even freebies, and the owner has a conscience. A liberal conscience, if that matters to anyone. 

Welcome to the board!

I've always meant to try Penzeys because I'm a total spice nut and practice on Mr. pig.  He's still alive, although I had my doubts after I put too much ghost pepper in his turkey chili.  Oops.

I love those traditional Indian spice boxes.  Do they come with an obligatory mother-in-law?  (See articles on non-Indians learning to cook for their Indian spouses.)

• LOL 6

The only spice that is "unusual" in that pic of Indian spices is the dried mango powder. The rest are normal spices most home cooks would have on hand. Bulk spices can be the way to go, if a local store carries them. But I have never seen "bulk saffron." Saffron is super expensive, and adds color mostly and just a tad flavor. We have a couple of Asia markets around here so I need to check out their spice offerings. The one place is tough to shop in because the owner speaks limited English and many labels are only in Korean.

I have a large Lodge cast iron skillet that I use often. It was "pre-seasoned" but still took several uses to become non-stick. One of the reasons something like salmon skin sticks is because it is moved too soon. Once the item being seared is ready to be flipped, it will "release" from the pan. Salmon skin separates from the salmon very easily, and if you're cooking salmon and don't leave it alone as it cooks, it can stick to even a well seasoned pan. Not moving stuff around as it cooks is very important in cast iron.

Subha's dish looks good, but has a ton of ingredients. The prep alone could be overwhelming, and I can't see a bunch of little kids eating it. It certainly isn't low cost. Not counting spices, there are 17 ingredients, many are not pantry staples.

This show has become almost a parody of itself. Ridiculous nonsense statements that mean nothing. The 3 judges posturing and beating their chests like gorillas fighting for dominance. Contestants who are clearly designed and created by producers, then edited to fit that design.

Noah, who I really don't like, should be ashamed to have let himself be made such a goof in overalls. And that dish looked like a cat yakked in an old pair of brown bedroom slippers on old shag carpet. But it's how he is presented that is so fake.

Shari seems like a great cook and nice lady. But no one can manage the amount of cooking she has claimed to do each week unless they are working a line in a major restaurant.

Subha has been presented as this bumbling incoherent fool, yet manages great looking dishes in the time allotted. No way he is as incompetent as we are expected to believe.

• Love 7

Regarding all the spices in Subha's dish - my suggestion to anyone who wants to try it would be to just buy a generic (but good quality) curry blend.  It won't be exactly the same of course, but will give you an idea of whether you want to continue to explore this style of cooking.

(The only concession I made to my kids in terms of food was spiciness - they grew up eating what my husband and I ate, curry, fish, whatever.  I refused to be a short order cook or eat pablum.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 11

In other news:

"I'm embarrassed beyond my wildest dreams."  Noah

Hey Dorian, Mr. Rice will never cook if you keep lifting Mrs. Lid.  Just as Ms. Cake will never rise or bake if you keep opening Miss Oven Door.

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Deskisamess said:

One of the reasons something like salmon skin sticks is because it is moved too soon. Once the item being seared is ready to be flipped, it will "release" from the pan. Salmon skin separates from the salmon very easily, and if you're cooking salmon and don't leave it alone as it cooks, it can stick to even a well seasoned pan. Not moving stuff around as it cooks is very important in cast iron.

Too bad Daphne wasn't standing there next to her, because that is certainly one of the lessons that Michael Symon gave over and over on The Chew.

13 hours ago, SweetSin said:

I never seen The Chew so don't know how she was on that show.

I didn't think I'd miss The Chew as much as I have. I don't think I made a recipe from it but just watching the chefs and their little tips - like Michael about cooking meat and fish - was enlightening. Also, it was fun just to watch their opening each day. Daphne started out pretty badly but she took a culinary course over the break between one and two and started coming into her own. She and Michael always did the 5 in 5 - five ingredients, five minute meal. Also she and Carla Hall went to the producers and demanded and got training on how to do all the on camera stuff that the guys had been trained on. She left before the last season started because she wanted more family time and then the Batali nightmare blew up and ABC decided to dump the show for another hour of GMA - in the afternoon. Ugh. Since the show's left the air, Clinton, Michael and Carla have done a couple of Facebook Live sessions for fans, since they carried the last season alone.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, cameron said:

I actually thought it made her look as big as a house.  Daphne appears on "The Rachael Ray Show" a few times a season and for the last few years she has been perpetually pregnant and wearing something that IMO is atrocious.  Big flowers and flouncy ruffles only make you look 10x more ginormous than you already are.  I agree, though that "stuffed sausage" is not the ideal alternative.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Regarding all the spices in Subha's dish - my suggestion to anyone who wants to try it would be to just buy a generic (but good quality) curry blend.  It won't be exactly the same of course, but will give you an idea of whether you want to continue to explore this style of cooking.

I just wanted to add that if the bulk aisle is not an option for cheap spices, Badia spices are available in a lot of discount markets in little bags for very little money (Price Rite, Save-a-Lot, ethnic markets).  Cardamom pods go for under $2.00.  And Badia is better than the dollar store - better quality, IMO.  They even carry tiny bags of saffron for very little comparatively.  And a little saffron goes a long way.  TJ's carries relatively cheap saffron too, but Badia's prices are better.  Badia also makes a saffron powder which is even cheaper and a halfway decent substitute.

Wonder what home reader of Family Circle is going to have a cabinet full of spices like the ones he used.

I do, although I don't read Family Circle.  I did have a free subscription a few years ago, though.

• Love 1
On 8/21/2019 at 10:54 PM, DoctorK said:

Just finished watching the recorded show (I can't watch it in real time), glad to see Bri gone, and it looks like they are creating a Subha redemption story arc. I don't have a problem with that, but the sometimes obvious producer direction working certain story arcs that they think will appeal to us is annoying.

Yeah and didn't we here predict that might happen?  Although it was nice to see Subha finally not be picked on and get some recognition.  I wonder how long that will last, though.  He is fantastic when allowed to be in his comfort zone, but take him too far outside of that and I can see him crashing and burning.  I personally hope that doesn't happen and he at least makes it to the semi-finals.

On 8/22/2019 at 6:37 AM, DEL901 said:

Thanks for posting.   It may have been a one pan dish, but he used a heck of a lot of ingredients.   If he always cooks like this, no wonder they talk about his complex flavours. 

I think we're getting a window into the "method behind Subha's madness".  It's also a window into really good Indian cooking, which I'm sure is often just as spice-heavy.  It also explains why he seems to be perpetually in the weeds.  But if he is able to do all that under pressure and time constraints, he's pretty amazing, IMO.  It's also true that he was completely within his comfort zone here.  Pull him out and he seems to flounder around.  He seems to be a "spice king", able to pull the most amazing flavors out of any dish through the expert use of all those spices.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

In other news:

"I'm embarrassed beyond my wildest dreams."  Noah

Hey Dorian, Mr. Rice will never cook if you keep lifting Mrs. Lid.  Just as Ms. Cake will never rise or bake if you keep opening Miss Oven Door.

Another first-time poster--I think addressing Mr Rice may have been the first time I found Dorian sort of appealing. However, her dish looked like nothing much and I admit to being repulsed by the idea of vanilla in a chicken dish, peaches or not.

Ah, Bri, as someone upthread said, you're kind of a construct and you don't really cook yet, do you? You learned a coupla tricks--using a chinois for your endless purées, but your combinations?

Salmon with some kind of corn purée? Okay, but ditch the bacon. And how did you season the salmon to connect it to the corn thing? Then carrots and corn--a really odd combo with little relationship to salmon as protein. Maybe just a small watercress side salad? I'm not finished, Bri: just 'cause you saw the whole specialty carrots online/in magazines [used as a kind of little raft for the protein], doesn't make them a good choice here. Plus, really important, have you ever cooked whole carrots? They take some time.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Off topic for a sec.... I was in a waiting room with my grand-nephew, who at age 6 can read quite well. He was perusing a magazine and found an ad: “Menopause. That’s something women have? Why’s it named after men? Do men cause it?”

It was all I could do not to fall out of my chair laughing.

OMG, that's too funny!  Reminds me of my mother, who used to tell me when I was young that after menopause women put men on pause, LOL.  She was joking, but I never really "got" the joke until after I went through menopause myself!

• Love 4

Gordon didn’t plate anything. He just carried the skillet up front. 

If Bri’s dream is to cook in a high end restaurant and eventually own one maybe she should, I don’t know, go to culinary school or at lest get a job in a kitchen instead of being a cocktail waitress. 

How come they constantly push Shari to cook something other than Indian food but rarely say anything to Subha?

to me a “one dish meal” is all cooked in one dish at the same time. Not multiple things cooked separately using one pan. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Dbolt said:

to me a “one dish meal” is all cooked in one dish at the same time. Not multiple things cooked separately using one pan. 

Me too. Dishes like chili, stews, casseroles, etc.   You know things that "home cooks" would prepare.

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, preeya said:

Me too. Dishes like chili, stews, casseroles, etc.   You know things that "home cooks" would prepare.

Daphne's dish was the only one where everything was cooked in the same pot.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, preeya said:

Yes, I believe that was once a rule because I do recall there were instances where someone forgot something and they had to beg the other cheftestants for the missing product.

One season, a cook (who, having "won" the mystery box, was allowed into the pantry for 5 minutes all alone to gather his goods) was going to make "rice & corn pudding" (the challenge was to make something with corn as the main ingredient, I believe). As he exited the pantry, Gordon says to him "do you have everything?" to which the contestant realized no, he had forgotten the rice (or the corn)! Since he really couldn't make anything else (other than the R&C pudding) with his ingredients, he had to run around begging others for it.

• Love 2