Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Aerobicidal said:

This latest episode sounds amazing! I was unable to watch it as I was busy fending off a group of stunningly drunk attorneys who tried to intervene with my karaoke performance of "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks (which is a stunningly average Wednesday night for me).

I literally can wait to watch it tomorrow. I'm sure it will be the best (season) ten hours of the week.

That's OK...most of the "wedding" guests were labeled as Season 7/8/9, so they couldn't flog the Season 10 meme into our heads until we were unconscious.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

If Noah is so allergic to shellfish, why is he working that?  I can’t believe the producers would subject themselves to a potential lawsuit if a contestant collapses due to anaphylactic shock.  

Every time he said "I've got my Epi Pen!" I wanted to scream at the screen "get on the other team!"

Um, can Gordon marry people? Legally?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

At least Fred wore wedding-semi-appropriate attire for this challenge. He simultaneously does and doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd turn up with a sleeveless hoodie on.

Sarah's army experience should have meant that she'd be good with mass-scale lobster. It also should have meant her being able to support Noah through his life-threatening experience.

• LOL 2

I always have this suspicion that deep down inside Gordon doesn't really believe allergies can kill.

Why is Dorian's bun slightly to one side? It drives me irrationally crazy.

Yes, Renee, you were right. Now be an adult about it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, mlp said:

That pseudo-wedding was one of the hokiest things ever on this show and that's saying a lot.  I didn't see any sign of a bar or entertainment.  What were all those guests supposed to be doing at their "party" while they waited 90 minutes for their food?

Yes, and WHO would invite a bunch of contestants from previous years instead of, oh I don't know, their family and friends?  Do past contestants routinely get together?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, GaT said:

Well, they edited one of the earlier episodes to make it look like he flew in piloting a single seat F-16, the man is multi talented. Overall this episode bored me, the only moment I remember is when Renee licked her fingers (to taste something or avoid wiping them on her apron?), then we see her handling food. However, they may have edited out her washing her hands, but given the way she lets loose hair flop around directly over food she is preparing, I just wouldn't want to eat anything she prepares, she seems very casual about food hygiene.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, displayname said:

Separating this from the joke-y post. Subha is just uncomfortable to watch. He's not meant for this show.

Totally agree.  He is beyond help.  He can't even clean the plates properly and he just gets in everyone's way.  They always give him the easier job.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, cameron said:

Totally agree.  He is beyond help.  He can't even clean the plates properly and he just gets in everyone's way.  They always give him the easier job.

Yes, because of groupthink. Regardless of what you think of his skills the way they treat him is terrible.

• Love 17
(edited)
7 minutes ago, mertensia said:

Yes, because of groupthink. Regardless of what you think of his skills the way they treat him is terrible.

I'm sure some of it is groupthink, and the treatment is another reason I'm uncomfortable watching all the interactions with him. But sometimes he doesn't even seem to get out of the way. I don't mean "he's not meant for this show" in a manner against him as a person. He's probably very at-his-pace IRL, and that's just not what they're supposed to be doing here.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, displayname said:

I'm sure some of it is groupthink. But sometimes he doesn't even seem to get out of the way. I don't mean "he's not meant for this show" in a manner against him as a person. He's probably a very at-his-pace person IRL, and that's just not what they're supposed to be doing here.

He couldn't even understand why he was picked last in the team challenge.   Labors under the delusion that he is better than he really is.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, mlp said:

Gordon throwing food in the kitchen was cringe-worthy.  Why does he think that's entertaining?  

I hate these types of challenges. It just gives Gordon an excuse to put on his Hell's Kitchen persona.

• Love 14

Am I the only one that would be happier if they just did mystery box then pressure test every episode?  They could switch up mystery box with some other individual challenges if they wanted variety. I just think it is more interesting when they are not in teams and more fair as well. 

• Love 20
41 minutes ago, preeya said:

I can picture him in a court jester costume playing the mandolin.

Please, powers-that-be, make this happen.

I started to watch this episode last night, went to sleep, woke up, started to watch it again, and woke up this morning thinking, "wait, did I forget to watch Master Chef last night?" That's how much of an impression it made on me. We'll see if I can stay awake through it later today. Or maybe I'll get a nap.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, DoctorK said:

Overall this episode bored me, the only moment I remember is when Renee licked her fingers (to taste something or avoid wiping them on her apron?), then we see her handling food. However, they may have edited out her washing her hands, but given the way she lets loose hair flop around directly over food she is preparing, I just wouldn't want to eat anything she prepares, she seems very casual about food hygiene.

I think it was Army Interrogator (Sara?) who flipped all her hair up into a bun in the middle of the "kitchen" and I wanted to scream. Sure, bleached blonde strands of hair in food is so appetizing...

The team meetings at the beginning were so infuriating to me.  After repeatedly talking over Renee in the team meeting, when she starts to talk, Sam then comes in with "let's talk one at a time."  I don't blame Renee for her reaction.  That was just total asshole right there.  Plus, I'm sure he thought he was being reasonable and calm to the hysterical woman.  I couldn't figure out why Bri kept deferring to Sam and Nick, since it didn't seem like Sam has done so hot in recent challenges.

• Love 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I hate these types of challenges. It just gives Gordon an excuse to put on his Hell's Kitchen persona. 

Exactly. These team challenges always turn into Hell's Kitchen with Gordon screaming and throwing temper tantrums. And sometimes throwing food, which I hate seeing.

The fake weddings are a staple of GR shows. And of course he's able to marry people. He's a superhuman who can do everything in the most amazing, incredible way. 

Renee was certainly annoying, but not as bad to me as Dorian. Tired of hearing her boss everyone around, and her screaming at Subha in the tag team challenge was indefensible. 

I'm glad they've apparently stop saying that this is the most talented group of contestants ever, as if it being Season 10 means the standards are higher. I think this is probably the least impressive group I can remember, although the last couple of seasons were pretty weak too. (Still can't believe Gerron won). 

I only watched this show sporadically in its first few seasons, but my memory is that there were always at least 3-4 people who cooked at such a high level it was hard to believe they were home cooks and not accomplished professional chefs. There's definitely no one close to that this year. Have they already burned through all the truly great home cooks in America? 

Shaun seems to have become to this show what Richard Blais is to Top Chef. They turn up all the damn time.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, GaT said:

Last time I checked, it was pretty easy to get a license to marry people. I think there are places online that will do it for a few dollars, although it's been forever since I investigated.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Dbolt said:

Am I the only one that would be happier if they just did mystery box then pressure test every episode?  They could switch up mystery box with some other individual challenges if they wanted variety. I just think it is more interesting when they are not in teams and more fair as well. 

That's all I want, too!  I FF through team stuff and pause only if I see tears, blood or flame.

It seems like a lifetime ago that I watched this show and actually jotted down interesting food combos or ideas. I even purchased and used a couple of early cookbooks.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Also....why did everyone make asparagus - there are other vegetables. They could have rocked out some creamed spinach or something. Plus that sad smear of mashed potatoes - if that's all they're going to give me with that ginormous steak, I'm going to not give them a good review. Of course, if I got raw lobster, that's worse. Really, you put bread crumbs and seasoning on it, and you all managed to screw it up? Multiple times? 

• Love 5
(edited)
27 minutes ago, ML89 said:

Really, you put bread crumbs and seasoning on it, and you all managed to screw it up? Multiple times? 

We've got a local resto called "Leftys".  They buy the lobsters that are culled out and sold cheap because they're missing a claw.  They pull out the body meat, mix with Ritz crackers & spice and stick it back in, then bake!  Heaven!  Just a few years ago, it was $18. for a whole lobster, sides and bread.  Up to $27. now,  but you still can't get a table on Fri/Sat nights.  It's not rocket science.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Who had those on?  I didn't notice.

The blond gal, during the planning portion when the teams were talking about who would do what. She was on the end of the couch, and you could see her shoes. Ridiculous, no way you'd cook in them. I'll back my recording up and snap a pic.

(edited)
47 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

The blond gal, during the planning portion when the teams were talking about who would do what. She was on the end of the couch, and you could see her shoes. Ridiculous, no way you'd cook in them. 

Although the cameraman/editor did not give us endless shots of her shoes, so must be a different team than in Courtney's season.

6 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I really thought he was going to say both teams lost because he had to interfere and help them. It’s not right that blue team won when they got outside help. 

Gordon actually did give the red team plenty of help and advice. They completely redid their lobster dish based on his instructions. In the end, it came down to serving undercooked seafood being the ultimate sin, because of the health risks. As soon as diners started talking about the lobster being undercooked I knew they were done for. 

Count me in with those who are tired of the team challenges, which always end up being about the drama and GR screaming at people. It's supposed to be "Master Chef," not "Master Caterer." 

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 13
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I have never understood what is so appealing about a smear of something across a plate.

Me either. If you want to sauce something do it, why splay it over the plate and you have to drag your food through it?

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Well, it wouldn't be the first time we had a contestant wear questionable shoes in a kitchen. 

True.  If this were a serious cooking show, the chef wouldn't allow unsafe shoes in the kitchen.  The blond with the glittery boots looks and dresses like she's hoping to be "discovered."  She seems nice enough though.  So far.

• Love 4

The wedding aftermath: "where's the beef?"

S10E11 Backyard BBQ

Summary:  The losing team from the previous MasterChef episode, "Gerron's Wedding", must now face its dreaded elimination challenge. The home cooks have 60 minutes to present their best beef dish to the judges, in order to stay alive in the competition and for the chance for their dish to be published on the "Beef, It's What's for Dinner" website. But, halfway through the battle, the judges spring yet another challenge on the contestants. See which chefs can handle the challenge and which chef's journey will be cut short.

ETA:

The intrigue will be spectacularly, incredibly amazing because it's SEASON TEN.

• LOL 5
36 minutes ago, mlp said:

True.  If this were a serious cooking show, the chef wouldn't allow unsafe shoes in the kitchen.  The blond with the glittery boots looks and dresses like she's hoping to be "discovered."  She seems nice enough though.  So far.

That's Bri.  I always think of her as MasterChef Barbie 🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
(edited)

There was a very obnoxious chef on I think FNS that  wore spiky heels all the time, she was so awful. Can't remember her name, dark haired, maybe Mediterranean. Eesh she was so bad, she showed up a few times after her failure but blessedly has disappeared into oblivion...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1

Keturah’s earrings are the biggest crosses this side of the “Like a Prayer” video. I think the cross Denise Richards danced with in Drop Dead Gorgeous was slightly smaller. Noah and Wuta add at least two more pieces of cross flair to the mix. Maybe the wardrobe department found an old box of unsold Tammie Faye for QVC jewelry at a stunningly affordable price.

Noah: “Right after I was born, my mother grilled the placenta. My baby cradle was a repurposed gas grill. By age three, I was grilling (season) ten pieces of beef a day. I sleep on a bed of charcoal and crumpled up newspaper.”

Fred: “That’s a huge bone!”

Noah: “That’s what people tell me when I take off my overalls . . . right before I walk over a  red hot grill like a freakin’ Buddhist. My grill skills pay the bills and send chills and thrills. My favorite pickles are dills. My bandana collection thrills.”

At this point, people are inserting the phrase “season ten” into sentences like it’s the Smurfs saying “Smurf.” “You think a season ten is easy but not so season ten. I’m really pressed for season ten and hopefully it’s season ten. Season ten, grilled season ten kabobs. Septic season ten hot weather hoodie season ten huge bone season ten I don’t eat meat or desserts or season ten.”

This episode would be (season) ten times better if someone on the balcony—preferably Subha—slammed (season) ten cocktails and started belting out “Grillz” by Nelly.

The beef judging portion of the show is some of the least essential TV I’ve seen since Nurses. It the television equivalent of the MC Scat Cat album, the sixth Leprechaun movie, the ninth straight-to-video America Pie movie (which, stunningly, is also about straight guys judging big pieces of beef).

Okay, finally it’s Noah’s turn to beef evaluated. His attitude in this episode has inspired me to attempt to coin season ten’s most amazing neologism, douchadoccio. I think the likelihood of that catching on is similar to the odds of “fetch” happening.

Obviously they aren't going to eliminate Noah, so at least "Renee" could have taken off her disguise to reveal she's actually Amy Sedaris playing a character. Maybe next stunning week.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Was I hallucinating or did Gordon really say they had one STUNNING hour to grill the steak?

I think he said amazing - but I had the same reaction!

What the heck was Septic Burger going on about being a gorilla in the jungle, or whatever the eff?

Keturah's dish looked like dog food. She clearly had no idea what she was doing there.

• Love 1

When they left Noah's steak for last, I knew exactly what would happen.  The most amusing part of that judging was hearing Noah get schooled for being arrogant by Gordon and Joe, two of the biggest ego-maniacs on the planet.  He had it coming though.

I keep wondering why Wuta even applied to be on this show.  He had to know that most of the challenges would involve meat.  He's not obnoxious about being a vegetarian at all but it's certainly putting him at a disadvantage.

I also wondered how long it really took them to produce this episode and in what order.  Some of the people carried both their entrees and desserts up with them and placed the dessert on the side table/stand.  Others carried their entrees and their dessert just magically appeared on the small table.  

I like the fisherman (Jamie?) so I was glad he did well.

• Love 5
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Such A Flirt said:

What the heck was Septic Burger going on about being a gorilla in the jungle, or whatever the eff?

Verbatim:

Noah:  "I've been grilling my whole life.  Being a proud southerner, I feel this is my wheelhouse. Are you kidding me, you're giving me a grill? I'm a grill master.  This is like Michael Phelps in a fricking lap pool, okay? This is a natural habitat. It's not the right herb. Silverback gorilla in a rainforest, okay?  This is my jungle and I own it.  We're rolling right now."

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 13

Dammit. I liked Keturah. But why should she be sooooo familiar with barbecue grills because she is from the UK? 

What the hell is a tomahawk cut?

Why do people prop their steak/lamb chip over the veggies? It doesn't look appealing.

I'm so sick of chimichurri sauce. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5