Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Two people are going home! That’s (season) ten divided by five, or (season) ten minus eight, or (season) ten plus a stunning negative eight. Amazing.

When Septic Grandma Burger was like, “Bring it,” I think he meant that he wanted someone to bring a mashup of “Boot Scootin’ Boogie” and “Shooter” by The Rednex on maxi cassette single so he could bust out his best overall funk moves.

Apparently Nick’s major at (season ten of) Harvard is How to Gesture Like the Sign Language Interpreter at Nelson Mandela’s Funeral. Gordon is trying to outdo him. It’s like a gestural pissing match and it’s stunning.

I don’t recognize Michael but his thumb condom makes me feel (season) ten things I don’t know if I’m comfortable with.

“I did grab buns.” You’re saying that on national television in THIS climate?!?!?!?!?

Why are they not just saying (season ten) “lumpia” instead of “Filipino egg rolls”? Is Aaron that self-conscious that he’s become quite a bit lumpia in the last decade?

(LOL I’ll be here all season (ten), assuming I can live until (Harvard) February 2024.)

If Noah thrust a (season ten) bowl at me and ordered me to smell it, I would respond with more (Harvard) negativity than Dorian is throwing at Subha. Wasn’t the second rule of Septic Technician Club (season ten) “You do not smell a bowl given to you by a Septic Technician Club member”?

“We have the marinade done but it is not quite marinated enough yet. We have the balls done but they are not quite balled enough yet. We have the Harvard stunned but it is not quite Harvarded enough yet.”

“Pinch everything so it doesn’t open.” You’re saying that on national television in THIS climate?!?!?!?!?

I rate Subha’s trolling of this show a (season) ten out of (season) ten. The histrionic reaction from the balcony when he dropped the tortilla was giving me (Harvard) flashbacks to the first time I saw Mommie Dearest.

The quality of contestant on this season (ten) rivals the quality of the acting in Battlefield Earth. And every episode seems (season) ten times longer than that movie. Stunning.

"Who didn't crimp these?" I feel like if Stacey Q had had a second hit after "Two of Hearts," that's what it would have been called.

I am totally rooting for Subha now. Take this stunning debacle of a show where it deserves! (Not Harvard.)

I'm not sure how I made it through the last 22 hours (ten times two plus two!) of this episode but I feel stunned. Literally.

• LOL 18
21 minutes ago, displayname said:

I was LOLing at Dorian's yelling at Subha 😂

He was hilarious - obviously ignoring her shrieking his name and then saying in his Talking Head something like, "I've been cooking for over thirty years.  I'm not going to listen to someone yelling at me about something I can cook."  And then pretty much ignoring her when she tried to make nice after they won.

• Love 5
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

He was hilarious - obviously ignoring her shrieking his name and then saying in his Talking Head something like, "I've been cooking for over thirty years.  I'm not going to listen to someone yelling at me about something I can cook."  And then pretty much ignoring her when she tried to make nice after they won. 

😂

I must say, for all my defending of the season, I sure hope the good cooking starts to pour in soon.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Yeah, I don't think Dorian quite gets that shrieking like a deranged sports fan is not a winning strategy. And the thing is is Subha was clearly going along at a pretty good clip. Was he perfect? No. But he certainly wasn't helped by screaming.

And again: let them cook. 

And ugh! Those of us from the Midwest can cook thing besides plain chicken and plain beef, lady. You just haven't bothered to try.

• Love 8
(edited)

Would hate to see Subha and Dorian disarming a bomb..

"NO NOT THE BLUE WIRE,THE RED!! THE RED ONE!!!"

*BOOOOOMMM*

Edited by TDT
  • LOL 13
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, leocadia said:

I actually had to fast forward because it was extremely unpleasant to watch.  I get that Dorian felt her position was in danger, but from the start she was just brutal to Subah.  Even if he was the worst, positive reinforcement would have been a better motivation than her moaning and wailing.  If someone talked to me that way, I would have walked off and let her do the challenge herself.

Exactly how I feel.  Sure, he may have been the last person she wanted as a team mate for a timed challenge, but she started ragging on him before they started... way to set the tone.  And way to undermine him... when in the end as an earlier poster mentioned, the things Gordon liked were Subha's contribution.

I thought the wrong team went home.  That lawyer is terrible and should have gone.  And I wish there was a way that blonde with the side pony tail could have gone too, even if she was safe.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I thought the wrong team went home.  That lawyer is terrible and should have gone.

I thought so also. In the past and on other shows, not plating something required for the challenge was usually the "kiss of death." I guess because it is Extraordinary Season Ten the rules have changed.

• Love 2

I'm wondering if the Subha thing isn't a good example of group think. I think he's probably this season's scapegoat, including the judges. I think they were absolutely going to toss him until...They got almost everything done and it tasted good. Mostly, as noted, due to Subha.

• Love 13
19 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

What season???? I think they said it was season 10 5-6 times in the first 15 min of the show.I was going to take a drink every time they said that...but realized I'd probably die of alcohol poisoning at that rate!

Every time they say 10 th season eat a donut!

• Love 2
On 6/30/2019 at 7:34 PM, eel21788 said:

An empty plastic bottle works just fine. Crack all the eggs into a bowl then squeeze the bottle and use the suction to suck the yolks into the bottle.

Once you trash an entire recipe or a bowl of 6 eggs because one of the eggs was bad, you'll stop doing that. Crack each egg into a small bowl before you add it to the rest of the eggs or ingredients, so you can smell it and watch for issues.

Using your fingers to separate eggs is a great way to do it...you stand less chance of getting a broken yoke, and if you want to pull the chalaza completely off, your fingers are the best tool. Even a little yoke can ruin meringue.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Once you trash an entire recipe or a bowl of 6 eggs because one of the eggs was bad, you'll stop doing that. Crack each egg into a small bowl before you add it to the rest of the eggs or ingredients, so you can smell it and watch for issues.

Using your fingers to separate eggs is a great way to do it...you stand less chance of getting a broken yoke, and if you want to pull the chalaza completely off, your fingers are the best tool. Even a little yoke can ruin meringue.

Points for knowing the word, "chalaza" -- what can I say, I'm a biologist 😉

So Dorian had a damn meltdown over Subha's performance, but then couldn't stop hugging him like he was her best friend once they were safe?  Stunning.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Rammchick said:

So Dorian had a damn meltdown over Subha's performance, but then couldn't stop hugging him like he was her best friend once they were safe?  Stunning.

Yeah, that pissed me off. I understand being frustrated when you feel your partner isn't doing their part, but her melodramatic ass was acting like her life was literally on the line. She immediately pushed Subha in front of the bus when they went to face the judges, then commandeered the bus, and drove over him several times. When they ultimately received a pretty positive critique, I remember thinking "She better not try to high-five him" I would've loved if he kinda nudged her off when she tried to get all chummy upstairs after they were safe.

• Love 10
23 hours ago, mertensia said:

I'm wondering if the Subha thing isn't a good example of group think. I think he's probably this season's scapegoat, including the judges. I think they were absolutely going to toss him until...They got almost everything done and it tasted good. Mostly, as noted, due to Subha.

I guess that I'm the only one that thinks Subra is useless in the kitchen.  Walks around in a fog dropping things and cutting the ends off the potatoes.  Really.  Watch every week hoping that he gets the axe.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, cameron said:

I guess that I'm the only one that thinks Subra is useless in the kitchen.  Walks around in a fog dropping things and cutting the ends off the potatoes.  Really.  Watch every week hoping that he gets the axe.

Except his samosa was deemed excellent. Plus they got a fuck-ton of stuff plated. Including the mystery 7th item. They just played up how incompetent he was looking. 

Will be win? Not unless he goes all ax-happy on the remaining contestants, no. But he isn't as bad as Dorian made out. 

• Love 12

Yeah, I was hoping Liz and Sam would go. I thought Michael could cook, he was just so frazzled from losing the team challenge and seemingly having a useless partner. Sam was the one who suggested the seventh dish (a slider), which was something they definitely couldn't pull off. He was also the idiot who cooked the fish in the stainless steel pan in the prior challenge after being warned constantly to use a cast-iron pan -- both by his station leader and then by the judges. I'd have sent him home just for that.

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Yeah, I was hoping Liz and Sam would go. I thought Michael could cook, he was just so frazzled from losing the team challenge and seemingly having a useless partner. Sam was the one who suggested the seventh dish (a slider), which was something they definitely couldn't pull off. He was also the idiot who cooked the fish in the stainless steel pan in the prior challenge after being warned constantly to use a cast-iron pan -- both by his station leader and then by the judges. I'd have sent him home just for that.

I cannot fathom how they got a pass on an incomplete presentation. That alone should have given them the boot.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, preeya said:

I cannot fathom how they got a pass on an incomplete presentation. That alone should have given them the boot.

Well, technically, raw fish itself is an incomplete. Just because they put it on a plate doesn't mean it was a dish.

And what was up with this pretentious bull of Tasmanian sea trout?  American sea trout (we call them steelhead here) weren't in season?  Not fresh enough at the market?  No, just an excuse to charge more for the same thing that could've been locally sourced.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Actually the chef in Joe's restaurant that was doing  the cooking demo used a stainless steel pan to cook the fish in.  Looked like All-Clad that has a dark gray finish on the exterior of its pans.

Edited by cameron
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, cameron said:

Actually the chef in Joe's restaurant that was doing  the cooking demo used a stainless steel pan to cook the fish in.

Yep, this is not cast iron:

vlcsnap-00027.thumb.jpg.f8eb0cdf80cd753cfaf09ad546824dc7.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 10:07 PM, leocadia said:

actually had to fast forward because it was extremely unpleasant to watch.  I get that Dorian felt her position was in danger, but from the start she was just brutal to Subah.  Even if he was the worst, positive reinforcement would have been a better motivation than her moaning and wailing.  If someone talked to me that way, I would have walked off and let her do the challenge herself.

She made me really angry.  I haven't been watching very closely this season but I vaguely remember how bad Subah was in the outside team challenge.  But she was just such a dramatic bitch about the whole thing from the start.  I really did think he would leave.  And of course, Gordon made the whole thing worse by screaming at Subah to yell at, er, help Dorian.

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 5

I did a crossword earlier this morning.  One of the clues was "Sewer's tool."  All I could think of for the answer was "Noah."

Spoiler

The answer, for anyone who cares, was "needle."

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Was it just me or did Joe's chef drop a truckload of salt onto her food? I probably enjoy more well seasoned food than most but that didn't look edible to me.

I kinda dig Subah chugging along all chilled while that lunatic screamed and cried at him. She's up there on the crazy scale. Definitely a candidate for a season of Masterchef US Crazies.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Rammchick said:

And what was up with this pretentious bull of Tasmanian sea trout?  American sea trout (we call them steelhead here) weren't in season?  Not fresh enough at the market?  No, just an excuse to charge more for the same thing that could've been locally sourced.

I wondered exactly the same thing since halibut and (lately) salmon around here now cost about a mortgage payment.  And I live on the Pacific coast!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Thalia said:

She made me really angry.  I haven't been watching very closely this season but I vaguely remember how bad Subah was in the outside team challenge.  But she was just such a dramatic bitch about the whole thing from the start.  I really did think he would leave.  And of course, Gordon made the whole thing worse by screaming at Subah to yell at, er, help Dorian.

I would have been just as brutal to Subra as Dorian.  He always looks completely lost in the kitchen and really tired of his saying how he can cook anything.  Whoops, tortilla hit the floor when he dropped it.

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, cameron said:

I would have been just as brutal to Subra as Dorian.  He always looks completely lost in the kitchen and really tired of his saying how he can cook anything.  Whoops, tortilla hit the floor when he dropped it.

Subha had my blood pressure boiling. Yeah, they got everything plated, but they were supposed to be working as a team and he wasn't soing any of the prep that needed to be done each time he was up.

The balcony reaction when he dropped that tortilla needs to be a gif so much. It will never not be funny.

Edited by killer.noona
  • Love 8
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, galaxychaser said:

Every time they say 10 th season eat a donut!

The last episode I was thinking about doing a shot every time someone said, "You got this!" However, I doubt I would have still been conscious after the first ten minutes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

It’s Subha. With an H.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:43 AM, mertensia said:

Yeah, I don't think Dorian quite gets that shrieking like a deranged sports fan is not a winning strategy. And the thing is is Subha was clearly going along at a pretty good clip. Was he perfect? No. But he certainly wasn't helped by screaming.

Nick was right- all she had to do was figure out a way to work with him, and they’d be fine. Instead she let the “sabotage” and the stress of the challenge get in her head, and it could have sank both of them.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

It’s Subha. With an H.

Nick was right- all she had to do was figure out a way to work with him, and they’d be fine. Instead she let the “sabotage” and the stress of the challenge get in her head, and it could have sank both of them.

There was plenty of footage of him working and actually doing stuff while she was screaming and crying like she was out of her mind. 

I suspect they wanted to edit it like Subha was a dazed numpty (and to be fair in one of the early team challenges he did seem like that) but he actually did solid work so it just made Dorian look like she was a lunatic.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

There was plenty of footage of him working and actually doing stuff while she was screaming and crying like she was out of her mind. 

I suspect they wanted to edit it like Subha was a dazed numpty (and to be fair in one of the early team challenges he did seem like that) but he actually did solid work so it just made Dorian look like she was a lunatic.

We must have been watching different shows.  I have gone back and watch it three times and while he did make the Samosas, he only seasoned the optional shrimp dish.  She made all the rest.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, cameron said:

We must have been watching different shows.  I have gone back and watch it three times and while he did make the Samosas, he only seasoned the optional shrimp dish.  She made all the rest.

We must be indeed. I watched it again too, albeit only one more time. He was doing other stuff besides the samosas. The thing was he had to keep stopping to watch her have a meltdown because she also seemed to have a fit if he didn't pause to watch her have a fit.

I don't even blame him for dropping that tortilla with all the drama she was generating on the side. I'm an efficient cook and I would have dropped something with a banshee screaming at me while I'm trying to find somewhere to put it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

We must be indeed. I watched it again too, albeit only one more time. He was doing other stuff besides the samosas. The thing was he had to keep stopping to watch her have a meltdown because she also seemed to have a fit if he didn't pause to watch her have a fit.

I don't even blame him for dropping that tortilla with all the drama she was generating on the side. I'm an efficient cook and I would have dropped something with a banshee screaming at me while I'm trying to find somewhere to put it.

Let's agree to disagree!!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

Bri totally looks like Dove Cameron. 

Wait, what?? They're getting married in the master chef kitchen???

Yup. This is MASTERCHEF SEASON 10 after all, gotta pull out all the gimmicks they can

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

Ugh can someone please put Renee on the meat next time so she can 1. Stop complaining in her talking heads 2. Stop acting acting like a 5 year old throughout the task and 3. Screw up royally and be brought back to reality. 

Manufactured drama: let's cut this steak in half 20 min before the end of the challenge and freak out that it's raw because, they were done cooking it right? They were starting to plate?

Edited by Samwise979
  • Love 11

S10E10 Gerron's Wedding

Summary:  The Top 14 home cooks fight for immunity in another team challenge. Split into two teams, the captains scramble to lead their respective teams to success by preparing 45 meals in only 90 minutes for a very special event: a wedding to be held in the MasterChef kitchen. Even more daunting, the wedding's groom is MasterChef season nine champion, Gerron Hurt. See which team will wow the bride, groom, and guests with their creations and which team will face elimination.

• Love 1

I haven't paid too much attention to Renee (or most of them) until tonight, but I get her frustration.

From my POV, Bri looked at these 2 guys with their Y chromosomes and allowed her preconceived, stereotypical notions about who should be behind the grill trump any potential expertise Renee might have to offer re cooking the filets.

Bri and her voice can leave the screen any time now.

• Love 7

Does Bri try on purpose to look like that airhead Paris Hilton?  I just can’t stand her.

If Noah is so allergic to shellfish, why is he working that?  I can’t believe the producers would subject themselves to a potential lawsuit if a contestant collapses due to anaphylactic shock.  

• Love 11

I thought the same thing, KLovestoShop!  I was thinking, "Why don't they swap him out with someone on the other team, so he is away from the lobster and working with the steak?"

I don't care if TPTB asked him if he wanted to change sides and he said "no". They should have forced him to do it. (I'm assuming they knew. But maybe not?)

• Love 3

So Gordon comes in, FIXES the steak and they win?  They should have automatically lost because he wouldn't even let them serve it.  Some of the lobster was undercooked but they didn't have one of the chefs there fixing their dish.

• Love 8

Generally, I enjoy critiquing and commenting on MC, but I just couldn't get into this fiasco tonight. That was one of the worst episodes ever and it happened in SEASON 10.

I'll wait for the aftermath tomorrow. Do ya think "septic guy" will be saved due to his above & beyond life-threatening performance?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Do ya think "septic guy" will be saved due to his above & beyond life-threatening performance?

I certainly don't know but I hope so because I've come to like him.  I like the other tall guy too but I can't think of either of their names right now.

Renee had some good points but she was totally obnoxious and immature about it.  I didn't understand why the guys were wasting time tying the filets either.

That pseudo-wedding was one of the hokiest things ever on this show and that's saying a lot.  I didn't see any sign of a bar or entertainment.  What were all those guests supposed to be doing at their "party" while they waited 90 minutes for their food?

Gordon throwing food in the kitchen was cringe-worthy.  Why does he think that's entertaining?  

• Love 14

Everything is subject to change, but I have moved whiny-face Renee to the bottom of my list, just below Subha (sp?) who is either unbelievable dense or is edited to look that way.

I absolutely hated to see how Red Team demolished all that lobster.  And wasn't the guy assigned to cook them a fisherman?

Did we really have to see Shaun's chipmunk cheeks again?  Was his bride at the table with him?  I couldn't tell because I was averting mine eyes at the sight of Shaun's face.

Man, I am feeling cranky tonight.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

This latest episode sounds amazing! I was unable to watch it as I was busy fending off a group of stunningly drunk attorneys who tried to intervene with my karaoke performance of "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks (which is a stunningly average Wednesday night for me).

I literally can wait to watch it tomorrow. I'm sure it will be the best (season) ten hours of the week.

• LOL 12