Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

S10E07 Gordon Takes on a Tarte

Summary: The contestants compete in another elimination challenge, in which they must replicate the dish du jour in just 60 minutes or risk being sent packing. Gordon's demonstration is for tarte tartin - a perfect French dessert accompanied with a silky Creme Anglaise sauce. One contestant's journey comes to an end.

Edited by preeya
(edited)

For criminy sakes, Gordon, this is MasterChef US - we don't really do "centimeters" here. Would it kill you to convert it to inches?  (Talking about the thickness of the pastry crust.)

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, adhoc said:

For criminy sakes, Gordon, this is MasterChef US - we don't really do "centimeters" here. (He tells the cooks that their pastry crusts should be about 3/4 centimeters thick.

The google converter says that .75cm equals 0.2952756 inches. So I'm guessing he would want approx. 1/3 of an inch. I hate baking.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

Did they even taste the tartes? The judges were talking about "beautiful crusts" but all I saw was them take a tiny spoon full of the caramel. 

The format of this amazing/incredible/unbelievable/awesome season 10 SUCKS.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, preeya said:

The most conceited contestant EVER!

Conceited AND delusional. Every time he had a talking head he would say something and I would find myself snorting derisively. 

• Love 8

Them describing the elimination as a stunning surprise- seriously? Although I was expecting Fred because, did he actually turn the thing over? It was hard to tell. 

What I wouldn’t give to have Mary Berry come and judge Gordon's Tarte... actually the contestants might faint if she judged them. 

• Love 5

The way they yell at these contestants that the expectations are higher because it's SEASON TEN!   makes it seem like these same cooks have been competing for ten years.  For each of these contestants, it's SEASON ONE.  

• Love 14

Previously: Incredible boxes doled out shit in a stunningly amazing manner.

Noah, as a septic stunning engineer, calling someone else a “master blaster” is sort of like Aaron calling Caitlin Upton (South Carolina’s 2007 Miss Teen USA contestant known for “The Iraq”) stunningly inarticulate.

Evan: “I have never seen an apple before. I have been to every country in the world except France. I don’t know what an apple tartan is. But I have a Ph.D in overcompensation and Central Casting promised me I’d be here until episode 22, so let’s get stunning!!!”

“Subha . . . looks like he’s really fired up.” Actually, Aaron, I think he looks like an actor auditioning to be an extra in Cocoon who was dismissed for being too unenergetic.

Does Fred put on an additional hoodie every time someone on this show mangles the English language? By episode 45, he’s going to look like an American Apparel collection designed for post-blueberrying Violet Beauregarde.

“Tough challenge, right?” It would be tough for these people to build a My First Duplo structure. It would be tough for them to break an egg without spraining a muscle and/or breaking a bone. It would be tough for them to spell “the.”

The nadir this season is hovering at reminds me that I still need to watch Showgirls 2. And there are a couple of Leprechaun movies I haven’t seen. And maybe William Hung has an album or cookbook or fragrance that was released in the last five or six years?

Tarta Tran. Ta Ta Tin. Tra La Lan. Tantra An. Torta Ahh. Ta Ta Ta Ta. Tonya Harding. My knees hurt. Everything hurts.

Gordon: "Lacklust. . . . Your crust was literally swimming in water." Stunning.

And a stunning elimination. Even a colonic technician would think so.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
(edited)

It's stupid to still find stuff like this funny after 10 seasons, but I did crack up at Sarah's "Being from the army, I am good at following instructions, so Tarte Tatin is right up my alley" XD

I think they're giving more intelligent critique of food as opposed to soundbites this season. If two days (=extra time) allows this, I'm all for it.

3 hours ago, Aerobicidal said:

Does Fred put on an additional hoodie every time someone on this show mangles the English language? By episode 45, he’s going to look like an American Apparel collection designed for post-blueberrying Violet Beauregarde. 

But will you be tuning in for episode 45, when it airs in the year 3107?

Edited by displayname
  • LOL 1

I have to say I was surprised anyone chose pineapple as I would have thought it too acidic to work.

Good, Gordon. Real good. Continue to put the pressure on a woman who's weeping from stress as she's talking to you. Asshole.

YES!!!! Evan is gone. Toast.  What a pretentious idiot. 

• Love 3

Thank you Baby Jesus!  Evan got his walking papers.  He must have been one of the producers' sons-in-law to have lasted this long.

Next up for a long walk on a short pier - Oklahoma  mophead Renee and I-spent-ten-years-in-Army-Intelligence Sarah.

You can add Subha who makes classic French desserts into Indian cuisine to the list.  I've had it with all their whiny selves.

• Love 3

Them describing the elimination as a stunning surprise- seriously? 

Exactly! If you'd asked me "Who would be the LEAST surprising boot-ee?", I'd have said Evan.  

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I can't believe the whole episode was about making a fucking tart or whatever the hell it's called.

Hear Hear!  (Or is it "Here Here"?  I can never remember)

There are entire series devoted to baking/baking/baking.  I don't watch any of them because I find baking boring.  So an hour of fruit/sugar/crust just had me running for the wine rack.  It's a technical craft and about as interesting as watching someone iron shirts.

I like savory cooking with tasting and adjusting ingredients and seasonings.  But maybe that's just me.

Do we have any favorites in this horserace?  I'm thinking a couple of the guys whose names I can't remember.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Do we have any favorites in this horserace?  I'm thinking a couple of the guys whose names I can't remember.

I'm thinking Michael, the guy with the heavy beard that reminds me of (please excuse this) Son of Sam and Micah (the guy who was rescued in the prelim) who seems to be GR's fave.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, cameron said:

Still think that Evan was a producer driven plant.  Even Spike Mendelsohn when he appeared on Top Chef wasn't this arrogant.

Evan reminded me of that guy who was first out of the first Top Chef after tasting with a spoon and then reusing it, who got into it with Tom C. 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I am actually curious why people have found so many to hate already XD

I don't think Subha has a chance to win. I do like Shari, Micah, Michael, Ketura, and Dorian. Nick and Wuta, too. Plus, Fred's confidence storyline makes me think he might win, and I like him too (and I am trying to accept the talking heads on the topic as a result, because they will not let that part go, I am guessing).

Edited by displayname
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, displayname said:

Fred's confidence storyline makes me think he might win, and I like him too (and I am trying to accept the talking heads on the topic as a result, because they will not let that part go, I am guessing).

Yes, Fred will be there for a while. His actions and backstory make him a keeper, although if it weren't for Evan The Wonderful, he might have been gone.

Also, didn't GR say this bunch was the most talented they've ever had? If so, I haven't seen it.

Edited by preeya
(edited)
21 minutes ago, preeya said:

Also, didn't GR say this bunch was the most talented they've ever had? If so, I haven't seen it.

It's probably an exaggeration, but they've cooked pretty well for the two mystery boxes. They're giving a lot more detailed breakdown of the food this season, we're even getting to see a lot more people cooking during the challenges instead of the same 5 people + whoever's getting eliminated, and it might make it look like there are worse cooks than usual.

I don't think this batch is worse than seasons 1, 2, 6, or 7. I don't even remember season 9 (I stopped watching that about 6 or so episodes in, IIRC).

Best batch ever was probably 5 or 3, but we've yet to reach the finale for this one. The growth arc was often lost on previous seasons because of the editing and time allocation (especially in favour of judge grandstanding/drama), so maybe we will see better cooking down the line. Masterchef AU showcases the arc of going from great homecooking to turning in restaurant quality dishes wonderfully well towards the finale.

Edited by displayname
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ML89 said:

Evan reminded me of that guy who was first out of the first Top Chef after tasting with a spoon and then reusing it, who got into it with Tom C. 

I noticed Subha did this in this episode, lol 

He tasted his sauce, loved it, dipped the spoon back in for a second taste it was just so delicious of course, tasted it again, then dropped the twice-used spoon back in the same bowl. 

Surprised none of them caught it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, Charlesman said:

He tasted his sauce, loved it, dipped the spoon back in for a second taste it was just so delicious of course, tasted it again, then dropped the twice-used spoon back in the same bowl.  

I noticed it, but thought it was a different container? He dropped the spoon right in after tasting... God, I hope so.

Ok, so Subha is praised for transforming everything into Indian something or other, but Shari is harassed because she's cooked a lot of curries so far.  How does that work?  Do you have to be a particular ethnicity to be "allowed" to cook its cuisine?

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Subha ("Suburu") is THE most useless AND,  Evan notwithstanding, the most arrogant cook there. He showed the latter early on,  when he was miffed and expressed a vengeful attitude about not being "saved" to the balcony by a fellow competitor.

He showed his utter incompetence in the Team Chicken/Fish/Burger  challenge, where he was simply walking into others' stations, eating, and getting in the way. "Go water my plants" even seemed too much of a task.

"I'm used to cooking for my family,  not 100 people." You ninny! Had you never watched this show before?

I guess I really don't like Subha!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Did Aaron seriously pronounce creme Anglais as "creme on-gloss"? WTF Aaron, if you know how to pronounce it and it was a slip of the tongue they should've reshot that or cut it. 

I was puzzled by the contestants making such a big deal about how difficult tarte tatin is to make? I mean I get that the show did also so basically everyone was told to say it was sooooOOOOooooh tricky, but they were comparing it to soufflé and Traditionally Assumed to be Difficult dishes and it made no sense to me. Making filo from scratch is difficult. Not collapsing a soufflé is difficult. Tarte tatin is not so difficult. They made such a big deal about not overcooking the caramel. Well, yeah? But if you know how to make caramel you know how to not burn caramel? This was made more difficult by being part of a timed competition, not because it's the most difficult thing to do in general.

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Did Aaron seriously pronounce creme Anglais as "creme on-gloss"? WTF Aaron, if you know how to pronounce it and it was a slip of the tongue they should've reshot that or cut it. 

I was puzzled by the contestants making such a big deal about how difficult tarte tatin is to make? I mean I get that the show did also so basically everyone was told to say it was sooooOOOOooooh tricky, but they were comparing it to soufflé and Traditionally Assumed to be Difficult dishes and it made no sense to me. Making filo from scratch is difficult. Not collapsing a soufflé is difficult. Tarte tatin is not so difficult. They made such a big deal about not overcooking the caramel. Well, yeah? But if you know how to make caramel you know how to not burn caramel? This was made more difficult by being part of a timed competition, not because it's the most difficult thing to do in general.

The difficulty was overemphasized, but using the wrong fruits caused more havoc than the difficulty factor. Pineapples in general (too juicy), pineapples not sliced properly (rings not chunks), mixing apples and pears (cook times), etc.

And then there was Evan:

"Evan: I'm not worried in the least. I'm going to blow right through this thing. I don't need Gordon's step by step instructions. I can knock out awesome dishes with what I got up here. So, come at me."

And with that said, Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Evan The WonderChef.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

Evan talking about his big package 🤮. He really is full of himself. 

Keturah how can she see with those long fake eyelashes? Her wig also looks heavy. 

Noah was 400 pounds? 

When I see Fred cooking with sleeveless shirt all I picture is armpit sweat in food. 

• Love 2

so i finished both episodes. not surprised evan got the boot. the judges didn't really like him. and he seems like he is super conceited. fellow brooklyn resident got booted. it would be hilarious if i saw him on a subway.

i honestly thought fred should have also gone home.  his food looked bad. 

(edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 3:34 PM, Charlesman said:

I noticed Subha did this in this episode, lol 

Surprised none of them caught it.

i noticed it all right. so gross i would not even eat anything he gave me.  you taste something and dump the spoon in the sink! now if you cooking for yourself only, then it doesn't matter lol.

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Subha ("Suburu") is THE most useless AND,  Evan notwithstanding, the most arrogant cook there. He showed the latter early on,  when he was miffed and expressed a vengeful attitude about not being "saved" to the balcony by a fellow competitor.

He showed his utter incompetence in the Team Chicken/Fish/Burger  challenge, where he was simply walking into others' stations, eating, and getting in the way. "Go water my plants" even seemed too much of a task.

"I'm used to cooking for my family,  not 100 people." You ninny! Had you never watched this show before?

I guess I really don't like Subha!

He also went on to say he cooks to relax. Like, dude, you're on frickin' MasterChef! You don't go there to relax, lol. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:08 AM, mertensia said:

I have to say I was surprised anyone chose pineapple as I would have thought it too acidic to work.

I would have used bananas and added chocolate to the sauce.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, zibnchy said:

Does Micah have pictures of GR disposing of a body because you cannot convince me his tart tasted good?

They have to let him get far enough into the competition so that it will be justified when Gordon Ramsey gallantly remarks that he is going to pay his tuition to culinary school when he gets eliminated.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:17 PM, Aerobicidal said:

“Tough challenge, right?” It would be tough for these people to build a My First Duplo structure. It would be tough for them to break an egg without spraining a muscle and/or breaking a bone. It would be tough for them to spell “the.”

Why do professional chefs separate eggs with their hands? It's just too much fondling my food for my taste.

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

They have to let him get far enough into the competition so that it will be justified when Gordon Ramsey gallantly remarks that he is going to pay his tuition to culinary school when he gets eliminated.

This ↑ may happen should he not win OR Arrron may give him free room & board for cleaning one of his Bourbon St establishments OR JoeB may hire him to stomp grapes at one of his Italian vineyards. This Micah guy is a winner no matter what.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

Why do professional chefs separate eggs with their hands? It just too much fondling my food for my taste.

Right?  What the hell?  I was taught to do it with the eggshells.  It works just fine.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Right?  What the hell?  I was taught to do it with the eggshells.  It works just fine.

There are a gazillion egg separator gadgets for sale. I guess none fit the product placement standards of MC.