Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought the young man who got the final apron was better than the women but I figured Charlie would be chosen just because she was kind of cute and perky.  

Interesting, because I thought none of the three second-chance contestants knocked it out of the park, but the guy (Micah?) had the best sob story and was thus going to get that apron. I mean, didn't he basically say he couldn't go back home, something to that effect? What else was Gordon to do?

• Love 1

I am cynical as all get out and at first I just didn't believe that kid last week.  I finally decided that this was filmed months ago and they wouldn't have taken the chance of making Gordon looking like a fool* on national TV. 

Sorry, I meant a *spectacular and visually stunning fool of the likes that had never been seen before in the 9 previous seasons of Masterchef.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, adhoc said:

Interesting, because I thought none of the three second-chance contestants knocked it out of the park, but the guy (Micah?) had the best sob story and was thus going to get that apron. I mean, didn't he basically say he couldn't go back home, something to that effect? What else was Gordon to do?

He was also Gordon’s choice / cynical

Interesting, because I thought none of the three second-chance contestants knocked it out of the park,

Oh, I totally agree but I thought the woman with the pork chop shouldn't have even been a contender and Charlie was just a silly girl.  I didn't really care for the young man but he seemed to have a bit more potential.  And, of course, he was Gordon's choice so there you go.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/30/2019 at 12:35 AM, Aerobicidal said:

Anytime someone has a sob story or says “me on a plate,” I think Christina Tosi should arrive just offscreen with a giant vaudeville hook and whisk (no pun intended!) the offending contestant straight toward the set of Hell’s Kitchen.

Let's make this happen people.

Just once I want someone to say, "I had nothing better to do".

On 5/30/2019 at 12:35 AM, Aerobicidal said:

The former Army interrogator

How cool is that?  Pretty damn cool!

On 6/3/2019 at 6:08 PM, Charlesman said:

When I first started watching this show years ago, I'd wonder how they'd decide who gets to go through to the actual show from the auditions. I would imagine it's tough, early on, for the judges to decide if someone did, or didn't, deserve to be in the top-20 having only tasted a few dishes and not having much to compare it too. How silly would it be should someone cook in an early matchup, have a great, but not better than the person next to them, dish... only to be denied a spot, and have everyone that follows fail to measure up and be sent home prematurely?

Then I realized that they must have some idea of who is going to be a talented chef, and who is cannon fodder, before the judges actually taste their food.

I mean, if the producers are watching audition tapes, then call up a cook to say "we're thinking of having you audition, what's your signature dish?" and he says "I'm going to mix a traditional Indian stew from my homeland into a classic Creole delicacy of my adopted country," and you just know they penciled him in as one of the 20 'contenders' to make the cut. 

Then they just had to find 20 other idiots to round out the rest of the competition to make it good for TV. And they knew they had one of them all set when he answered the signature dish question with: "I'm going to bake a vannoli. It's a vagina cannoli."

@Charlesman - I am going to need you to step away from the tv for a while.  Do some shots.  If you live in a wonderful state that has legalized pot for recreational use, then take a hit.  No?  How about getting into a sugar stupor with desserts?

On 6/6/2019 at 12:09 AM, Aerobicidal said:

“My lord, everybody’s got a grip.” I would argue that the exact opposite is the case, but I’d rather find out how to get some stunningly septic overalls.

That was funny as hell.  @Aerobicidal your whole post was cracking me up.  Is that the smoke detector?  You is on fire!

Edited by jumper sage
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 6/5/2019 at 10:08 PM, Darian said:

I feel like I have a higher tolerance for sob stories and catch phrases and personalities than some of you all (and higher than I should, because y'all are right), but when someone quits their job and sells their house to get on a reality show, I want them off my TV. I mean, I can see doing that for a career, but there are other ways to pursue a culinary career. 

I just watched part of Ep 1 on YT (can't find the whole thing and my cable system is in some kind of contract dispute, so I can't see it on TV).  Over the years, I've noticed that many contestants say this is their only chance of moving into culinary. Wha? No, it isn't. Get a job in a restaurant. Get a 1-2 yr certificate at a community college. Really bite the bullet and go to Johnson & Wales or the CIA.

There are many ways to approach this career change if you want it. I wonder how many of them go back home and tell themselves that since they didn't win, they aren't going to try anymore? So much for passion. I think a lot of them see celebrity chefs and imagine that high-end lifestyle. If they really wanted to cook, I'm pretty sure IHOP and Red Robin always have openings.

• Love 9

I like Joe Bastianich in the Italian edition. He is truly mean and menacing.

I still can’t identify the regular archetypes of a good MC season, the queen bee bitching at her peers, Mr. I have cooked everything and I am better than the rest, the criers, the person with a past... let’s see.

I watched some YouTube video, season 4 and omg You could see how some contestants were really mean comparing to the latest participants.

• Love 1

It is the same as those who go on shows like American Idol and say this is their only chance.   Mostly they just don’t want to pay their dues and skip right to fame and, they hope, fortune.

• Love 9

So unless they change up the formula this year—<snort>—our prospective winners pool is limited to seven: Dorian, Fred, Kenny, Noah, Sarah, Shari, and Subha. I think everybody else was either in a montage or waved through offscreen. Now, which demographic is due for a win?

Yeah, this isn't my first Ramsay rodeo.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

So unless they change up the formula this year—<snort>—our prospective winners pool is limited to seven: Dorian, Fred, Kenny, Noah, Sarah, Shari, and Subha. I think everybody else was either in a montage or waved through offscreen. Now, which demographic is due for a win?

Yeah, this isn't my first Ramsay rodeo.

In the Canada version in one of the past seasons somebody said from the very beginning of the episodes that MC Canada had never been won by this (group here).  This person said the same every time during individual camera time.

Guess what, the final was won by that person.

Edited by El maestro
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:48 PM, mertensia said:

so glad holey jeans girl failed.

She should have been disqualified for that reason alone. If you can't dress professionally when you're trying to make an impression on any contest judge, then just stay home.

• Love 5

Episode 3

Previously: America’s season ten most talented dishes couldn’t stop doing season ten enough to deserve a spot in the best season ten auditions ever.

Tonight: Septic Grandma Burger is wearing his roomy fit overalls, a gaudy gold cross necklace, and the same patriotic bandana Dennis Madalone wore in the stunning video for his classic song “America We Stand as One.” He’s like the love child of Cletus from The Simpsons and Garth “Pretty Boy” Wenkel, who briefly competed in Marietta, Georgia’s Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling in the early ‘00s.

After watching and hearing the endless series of fish-filleting snuff nightmare footage, I now know how Shamu would feel watching the whale get murdered in Jaws. Somewhere, Flounder from The Little Mermaid is also watching this and has just a filed a lawsuit demanding Gorgon pay for a fish-lifetime of therapy. Somewhere, Leatherface is watching this and thinking he could produce a more delicate fillet with his chainsaw even after drinking a gallon of 120-proof hooch.

I was hoping that the Notorious Septic G.B. would comment that he’s seen septic tanks more appealing than some of the fish, but I guess that would be usurping Gordon’s role and that would be stunningly inappropriate.

Kenny the Italian Stereotype promises that he will cook with love at his restaurant. I don’t know what kind of euphemism that is and I refuse to think any further about that.

I am instantly rooting against whoever on the balcony said “Good girl!” to Deanna, an adult woman forced to deal with the Dreaded Three Meat Immunity Challenge. She mutilated a fish on national TV and is now being interrogated by Gordon at what’s probably an impossibly sweaty cooking station and “Good girl!” is what someone has to say?  That level of tact would seem questionable even in a YouTube comment thread.

Poor Deanna! After all that, Joe tells her, “Your quest for sexy has resulted in senseless.” I think that was Roger Ebert’s entire review of Showgirls. It would also describe Anna Nicole Smith’s entire film career. And millions of profile pictures on dozens of stunning apps.

Aaron didn't really do anything in this episode except stand around in a shirt that he pulls off about as well as Christina Tosi would pull off Guy Fieri's facial hair.

I won't mention who got eliminated, but I think one of them was put out of their misery and the other one's elimination saves us viewers a lot of misery. But also a lot of snark potential. 

Now excuse me as I go have nightmares about fish carcasses chasing me through the streets.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Off the top of my head gems:

I almost forgot this is SEASON 10.

I'd like to see what a "CORDA OF A MILLION DOLLARS" looks like. JoeB its "QUARTER" like WATER preceded by a Q.

Is Bri a Barbie Model or a Stepford wife?

JoeB again: It's a season 5 dish.  WTF!

That looks like a FUNGAL INFECTION. JoeB again.

AND THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED FOR SEASON (YOU GUESSED IT) TEN.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Is Bri a Barbie Model or a Stepford wife?

I go with Barbie Model, and she is what I would have considered really pretty when I was 14 yearsd old.

1 hour ago, preeya said:

JoeB again: It's a season 5 dish.  WTF!

Joe Bitchface when he said one of the plates was the ugliest he has ever seen, BS, it was nicely laid out, symmetric, showcased all of the ingredients, and would be easy to eat. He is a complete arrogant jerk.

• Love 8

I thought for sure Evan was getting booted. Usually when all the talking heads are of the person stating arrogantly that they are the best! no one can compare! they have a hundred friends that are chefs! it's because they're going to be eliminated and all us meanies watching at home can laugh and laugh. 

• Love 10

I was hoping they'd give Kenny another chance and send Evan packing.  He's arrogant and, so far, hasn't put his money where his mouth is.  I won't miss the woman with the awful red lipstick at all.

Gordon's skills demonstration was interesting to watch.  I wish I could chop an onion like that.  I didn't think he gave the contestants near enough time but most of them finished so I guess he did, assuming they really did all that in the time we were told they did.  

I can't think of the name of the septic guy but I like him so far.  He may be a big ol' country boy but he has a nice open face and seems genuine.  

I have a hard time taking Aaron seriously when he's covered in tattoos and dresses like he's going bowling then acts all pretentious.  Joe is nasty but at least he looks like a professional.

• Love 9
(edited)

Contestants and judges are being too nice so far. It doesn’t look like a traditional MC with people trying to kill each other from the very beginning.

Maybe this is the MC millennial edition and everyone is getting a prize.

Edited by El maestro
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

I truly wish that everyone with long hair would pull it back before cooking.  I keep waiting for one of the judges to pull a hair out of their mouth while they're tasting the food.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

I am going to try very, very hard to work “a ploosh of baazel” into every one of my conversations,

pahsta with a ploosh of baahzle

• LOL 2
10 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

Is Joe always this mean? Why am I remembering him as the nice judge??

He is generally the bad guy of the threesome. He was likable on MC Jr.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm surprised that everybody that made scallops made them well, usually scallops (& risotto) are the kiss of death.

Nah, that's only in Hell's Kitchen where they are actually professional chefs.

5 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

Is Joe always this mean? Why am I remembering him as the nice judge??

Joe is an ass. And I really hope he gets charged everytime he throws perfectly good dinnerware in the garbage.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

Huh. Thanks for the answers. I must be remembering him from mc jr. 

I watched him in the Italian edition and he is not the meanest one there, compared to the rest of the Italian judges.

I like the American MC, Aaron, the good cop, Joe, the evil one, and Gordon, the supreme judge. 

Edited by El maestro
  • Love 1

Are they trying to copy Masterchef Au? Everyone is so nice and cheering everyone on. The crazy has definitely  been toned down over the past few seasons but this edition feels like the cheery Aussie version with them all clapping. 

4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Are they trying to copy Masterchef Au? Everyone is so nice and cheering everyone on. The crazy has definitely  been toned down over the past few seasons but this edition feels like the cheery Aussie version with them all clapping. 

At least the contestants aren't showing up with "look at ME-E-E" accessories likes huge bows and Rosie the Riveter bandanas.  Foot Fetishist Camera Guy must be on sabbatical because I haven't noticed any lingering shots of 5-inch heels.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, mlp said:

I have a hard time taking Aaron seriously when he's covered in tattoos and dresses like he's going bowling then acts all pretentious.  Joe is nasty but at least he looks like a professional.

I'm not into tats myself, but Aaron's fingers are particularly creepy.  They look like they've been somewhere I don't want to think about.

• Love 8
On 6/8/2019 at 12:53 PM, zillabreeze said:

Yeah, but I was already looking forward to hating on her.   Anyone picked out our obnoxious snarkable contestant yet?

Evan the sales dude.  The producers must be aware of his ick factor since he's on so many talking heads touting his own wonderfulness.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

If you really love us, Gordon, you'd've canned Evan. Because my tolerance for pretentious twits is very low.

I won't miss Deanna.

As always, when Joe starts getting all "how dare you not do something perfectly the first time you tried!" I always want to force him to do something like knit a scarf perfectly after watching one demonstration .

• Love 12
16 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Evan the sales dude.  The producers must be aware of his ick factor since he's on so many talking heads touting his own wonderfulness.

Yeah, this guy is all talk and no production. He got by on the skin of his ass.

• Love 5

We’ll see how they edit the contest in the next weeks.

Watching past editions it should be something like that:

-great cook who is an a***ole to the rest of the participants. This contestant is there to create problems and havoc until the very end. Then is dropped before the final. Krissi in season 4 was the typical example.

-Cook that seems to be out of place in the first episodes and every body things he/she will be easy to beat, but in the last episodes this person does great and sometimes even wins such as Luca or Claudia.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 6/13/2019 at 2:20 AM, GaT said:

I'm surprised that everybody that made scallops made them well, usually scallops (& risotto) are the kiss of death.

Scallops are not difficult to cook. Usually the problem is the cooks gets distracted doing other things and they overlook them.

• Love 1
On 6/13/2019 at 7:33 PM, Mellowyellow said:

I have never watched MC Australia. I have to give it a try. I remember watching Come dinner with me and some people could be ver mean, as expected.

I have watched other international  editions such as Italy, Spain, Argentina, Dominica Republic... you find nice people, but generally the producers always look for a villain to spice things up.

But noooooo.  That's not the 'rules of the game' on MC.  Production keeps the controversial contestants because they are...well...CONTROVERSIAL!  'Mild Evan' (mild compared to other seasons) is, so far, the leader of that pack, so I expect to see him cooking until he really implodes -- either via his skills or his contempt for one of the judges.  (I often wonder if the contestants aren't given their 'roles' beforehand.  "Ya wanna be in the Top Twenty, then be the role you are assigned!  We'll help you out with your shtick till you get the hang of it!"

• Love 3
On 6/14/2019 at 1:27 AM, spiderpig said:

It was so funny how he said something about how people just don't have the skills and then he is raked over the coals for his disaster.  He knows lots of chefs.  He must be drinking buddies with one of those 3.

Glad the Boston Italian went home.  That plate was just ugly.  Good luck in the restaurant with your high food costs.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, TzuShih said:

But noooooo.  That's not the 'rules of the game' on MC.  Production keeps the controversial contestants because they are...well...CONTROVERSIAL!  'Mild Evan' (mild compared to other seasons) is, so far, the leader of that pack, so I expect to see him cooking until he really implodes -- either via his skills or his contempt for one of the judges.  (I often wonder if the contestants aren't given their 'roles' beforehand.  "Ya wanna be in the Top Twenty, then be the role you are assigned!  We'll help you out with your shtick till you get the hang of it!"

I firmly believe this (↑) is what goes on with all reality shows. Drama = viewers. Viewers = ratings.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3