Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Discussion

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, misgabi13 said:

When Elena, quite rightly, pointed out that the other three dishes were Asian and the eggplant one was Italian she had a face that would curdle milk on her!

Take some advice darlin!  Elena was correct and you can't just hold onto 'what you know how to cook'.  Don't think she is a team player!

Seriously, resting bitch face pumped to the max and now not resting but furious bitch face!

I know, right? That looked like a, "Bitch, I will cut you!" face.  *shudder*

That was a bloody hard watch.  I was torn between which team leader (cough) I wanted to slap the most.  Joe was awful.  He decided to do nothing except oversee the dishes, but then came in at the end in time to help Simon stuff up the prawns.  He also did such a great job of supervising that he didn't know which sauce went with which dish.  And then there was Waleed, who has truly mastered the art of "deer in the headlights".  I still have no idea if this guy can even cook, but what I do know is he is shocking under pressure.  Remember him in the team relay, somehow getting the message that the hero ingredient was star anise?  Tonight he didn't really do anything to lead the team until Matt virtually forced him to.  Matt looked like he was about to explode with frustration and that's how I felt too.  The fact the Blue Team won probably had a lot more to do with the fact that he had some good, self-motivated types in his team who just get on with the job.  

It was lovely seeing Elena again and she probably got the Green Team a lot closer to winning than they would have been if she hadn't corrected their eggplant salad error.  And Matt was a lot more effective as a mentor today than he is in the immunity challenges. 

Hopefully tomorrow night we finally see the back of Ben (who?). I cannot see him doing well in a skills test against that lot.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, katisha said:

It was lovely seeing Elena again

Apparently, she went into labour watching this!  

I think both 'captains' were awful but have my fingers crossed that Steph will go home (she won't but a girl can dream!).

Abbey will be even worse now that they have tongue bathed her in how good the prawns were!

Nothing was said about the 'winning' teams eggplant but it looked burnt and dry as!

Not 'loving' this season!  All the wrong people seem to be being sent home whilst people we have never heard a word from are still there.

Yet, I will soldier on!

• Love 2
(edited)

So glad to see Walleed come through! I was worried for him when he got a bit of a feature in the previews. I'm ready for Ben or Joe to go home tomorrow - Tessa & Simon may have made the errors on the prawns, but they've been excellent to date, and once again I'm not sure what Joe or Ben even did during the challenge.

(I went back and rewatched last week's team challenge earlier, and it turned out that Ben basically spent all night cutting up pumpkin for Joe's ravioli and putting it in the oven; I suppose this time he also did sous chef work for someone else. That stuff needs to get done, and he does put his head down and get to work, but I'd rather keep the people who are coming up with ideas, even if those ideas don't always work.) 

(Ok, I went back and checked to see what Ben did. Basically, he assisted Christina with her idea of the sunshine salad. He gathered pineapples. He carried equipment to the station. He chopped papayas and chiles and coriander (and presumably other stuff). During planning he stood in the back and nodded his head a lot but was not shown offering any ideas. I didn't rewatch the whole thing, but enough to see that it was the same essential pattern. My impression from the way he hung back in planning was that he might be losing heart a little.)

Speaking of prawns, kudos to Abbey for singlehandedly preparing 150 prawns faster and far more successfully than Tessa and Simon put together.  

Edited by akr
Kept adding paragraphs.
  • Love 2

Wooh Elena is back! Elena did more mentoring in this challenge than the 3 other mentors have done the entire season. She nearly willed the Green Team to safety after suggesting to change their eggplant dish and telling Steph what she could do to make the dish more Asian. So far I haven't seen any of the other mentors suggest to the contestants how to change their dish when something goes wrong.

Very unimpressed by both captains. Walleed was a follower for most of the challenge while Joe didn't oversee the prawn dish even though he said he wouldn't be cooking this challenge.

Simon messed up the prawns and he should have flattened them before starting to cook it on the barbecue like Abbey did. We will never know if Tessa's sauce was actually good enough because of Simon's mistake and she put like a sprinkle or two on each prawn.

Where was Larissa when Derek started putting the lamb cutlets on the barbecue? Why were the lamb cutlets cooked so early in the first place?

Steph really bugged me today. Not once but twice after Elena told Joe to change their eggplant dish. First, she made a bitch face after her dish was told it wasn't Asian and then she told Joe she was committed to the eggplant idea afterward and had already wasted 30 minutes prepping eggplants.

Out of the 7 in elimination, I'd like to see Joe or Steph go home first although I wouldn't mind seeing Ben or Simon take a hike.

• Love 3

Sandeep really needs to go on a spice cleanse or start wearing sweat bands.  Spotted him again with sweat dangling from the tip of his nose as he was bent over working.  At least he was shown using paper towels to try and dry off with, but he was still flinging it around trying to wipe it off on his arms.  Blood, sweat and hair are things I never want near any meal offered to me.  😓

• Love 2
(edited)

Anushka is the questionable queen of the layer cakes. Meanwhile, Billie mentoring: "I'd do something quickly." …. 🙃

I love Derek's dorky laugh. 

Didn't watch the team challenge episode yet, but it sounds entertainingly trainwreck-ish. I shall have my popcorn at the ready.  

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 3

I really like Derek! He's a nice guy and an excellent worker bee. Twice now he's been shown to be doing almost anything and everything in team challenges and is always in good spirits while working hard! I know his cutlets were inconsistent but the poor boy worked his ass off the entire challenge without much help it seems. Happy he's safe for this week!

Speaking of working hard I have to give Abby credit for tackling those prawns all by herself and doing so without any trouble or fanfare. I grizzle about her but she did very well in this challenge.

I've been skipping Immunity Challenges so I don't know how Mat normally does as a mentor but he was great here. As was Elena.

OMG those captains were hopeless! Poor Mat looked like he wanted to shake the captain on his team. Waleed looked like he wanted to find a corner and go hide instead of being Captain! He wafted around and around. 

Matt was giving me major Gordon Ramsey vibes (minus the cussing) with the way he chased after Waleed and made him do stuff. I found it highly amusing. 

Elena pushed her team as well and actually gave direction! Matt and Elena for weekly mentors from now on please! I may watch those immunity challenges again!

Really hoping Simon, Nicole and Tessa are safe tonight!

I am going to Noosa in January!!!!!! SOOOOO excited now that I've seen this ep! I have to eat at this surf club! We only drove down for a day last time so didn't eat there!

• Love 3

The guy who went home couldn't have cooked a more 'beige' dish!

I can't remember anyone's names but the blonde who was in the final cookoff kept talking about not knowing if her 'popcorn prawns' were overcooked - and I kept yelling 'then taste them!!!!"

Gorgeous restaurant!

Loved a glimpse of Maggie Beer for next week - but then we get returning contestants - isn't it kind of early for that???

I predict a Tim win (which I won't be too sad about as I kind of like him!) but having to watch them all earnestly tell us why they should be back in the competition is always one of my least favourite things!

Now I'm craving a seafood platter - would totally eat both of the 'safe ones'!

Plus, we got bugger all Abbey talking heads - so go Masterchef!  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I am going to Noosa in January!!!!!! SOOOOO excited now that I've seen this ep! I have to eat at this surf club! We only drove down for a day last time so didn't eat there!

I live about 90 minutes away from it.  I've never been there either and I want to rectify that!

1 hour ago, misgabi13 said:

I can't remember anyone's names but the blonde who was in the final cookoff kept talking about not knowing if her 'popcorn prawns' were overcooked - and I kept yelling 'then taste them!!!!"

That would be Nicole who some of the other contestants like to call "Nickers".  Heh.

Oh, Joe.  Not even your girlfriend's borrowed Nonna could have saved you from that trainwreck.  Really, they should have done a double elimination for once because neither Joe nor Ben deserve to be in the top 12.  Well, it could be argued they didn't deserve to get onto the show at all but at least Joe has made a couple of good dishes.  However, at this point they are both dead wood.

Time for the returning hamsters next week already? Wow, this season is just zipping past.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, katisha said:

Really, they should have done a double elimination for once because neither Joe nor Ben deserve to be in the top 12.

There's still hope yet. It's only a top 13 and there's a chance Ben could go home during the next pressure test. He's hanging on by a thread and was the last person to advance in each of his previous 4 eliminations. I think he's giving Jonathan a run for his money for the title of "The Eliminator".

Nicole's seafood platter looked way more vibrant than Simon's.

Interestingly, Derek is the only contestant that has been featured at the start of every week, whether good or bad, since the contestants entered the Masterchef kitchen. That includes the big elimination in week 2. If you leave out that big elimination, Larissa is the only other contestant that has been featured at the start of every week.

Another stat: Christina is the only person that hasn't won a team challenge this season (0-5 record). She'll have a hard time matching Brent's 0-8 record (Brent's 1 team win came during a non-elimination team challenge week).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Masterchef this week made me want to visit australia even more , i always have it on my list of countries to visit since i’ve heard of when i was a kid 

simon and nicole dishes were spectacular, mostly nicole’s was so appealing yum yum . Joe’s was sad and the decision was fair enough.

It’s true that top 14 this year is not so convincing, still there some contestants that they barely can cook imho

• Love 1
(edited)

Abbey: "Waleed is the king of the grill, so it's obvious he should be the captain." Honey, clearly you know something us viewers don't! The blue team was one lucky ass team to have Matt as their mentor, because he kind of assumed the role of the captain as Waleed turned out to be useless. 

Ugh, I was really hoping for Ben to go home. I liked Joe, but I think it's just because I found him cute. (I know, I'm very easy sometimes.)

2 hours ago, xchouchoutex said:

Masterchef this week made me want to visit australia even more , i always have it on my list of countries to visit since i’ve heard of when i was a kid 

Was about to say the exact same thing. It's totally on my bucket list. Too bad that most likely I won't ever have enough money to go there, unless I win in a lottery.

(I noticed, to my delight, that a Finnish streaming service just put all the MCAU seasons online. And since I haven't seen seasons 1-5... I know what I'll be doing all summer long. 📺)

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 2
On 6/6/2019 at 12:42 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I really like Derek! He's a nice guy and an excellent worker bee. Twice now he's been shown to be doing almost anything and everything in team challenges and is always in good spirits while working hard!

At this moment, he's the only one I can see myself to be rooting for.  We've probably never seen the best of him yet.

My this season's eye candy is Simon.  Sorry, @katisha, but I do love a man with longish hair!

Billie.  She is my all time favourite contestant on the female side.  Callum being the one on the other side.  I feel soooooo bad for her.  She's an introvert, what were they thinking putting her in that position?  And what was she thinking in agreeing? The good news is that she seems to outwardly get a better grip of her role.  That stint could very well be life changing happening for her in terms of inner growth.

Stephanie:  While I love her bubbly self, I can't get past that hair and those glasses.

Blonde girls:  As in every season, I can't tell them apart.  I know that the habit of dying your hair blonde (WHY??) will never go away, but it makes it difficult for me.  I'd rather have a very distinctive Jessica from S7 than the magazine surfer girl who eventually looks like any other girl with dyed blonde hair.  Except if your name is Stephanie and you walk on the surface of the earth with THAT FUCKING haircut.

Abbey:  I'm not as adverse to her as some of you are, but I 'm sure ain't gunning for her winning.

I've just realized that Tim's surname is Bone.  T. Bone, hahahahaha! 

@xchouchoutex  Salut, toi!  Contente de te retrouver! 🙂

@dnagirl Good luck in your fantastic journey!

• Love 3

@xchouchoutex  All is fine, thank you for asking.  It's that I'm so far behind you guys that any comment I could make would be sorely outdated.  But I do read every comment along the road, and as usual I'm totally in love with this community.  There's no better online experience to me than the MasterChef one.  So even though I don't comment as much as I used to, nothing skips my reading.  🙂

Also,  was I the only one laughing that much seeing the judges in shorts?  It's a first.  And @katisha and @misgabi13, and I'm hope I'm not wrong, but possibly @akr (sorry if I'm not right!), it was delightful to see your corner of the planet.  Beautiful landscape all over the place.  Is it always this windy, or it was a special day?

I do owe Elena, my second favourite, an apology.  When she first appeared, my reaction was, oh, crap, she's gotten so fat since!  The minute it was announced that she was pregnant, I wished my apartment had a basement I could crawl under.  Stoopid me!

I'm currently rewatching S7 and have so much enough of attention-hogging Sara with her bedroom eyes.  Producers loved her, that much is clear.  I'm nearing her expulsion and can't find a better excuse to open a bottle of champagne which I never drink, disliking champagne.  Seeing her butt (that she probably find extremely sexy) out of the door would be worth it.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Myriad said:

Blonde girls:  As in every season, I can't tell them apart.  I know that the habit of dying your hair blonde (WHY??)

I've been watching for close-ups of Tessa and Nicole since someone mentioned all the dyed blondes.  I really think they are both natural blondes, along with Abbey.  If they aren't, they have some masterful dye jobs!  Either way, I have no trouble telling them apart.  I'm on the fence about Christina.

2 hours ago, babs1226 said:

I've been watching for close-ups of Tessa and Nicole since someone mentioned all the dyed blondes.  I really think they are both natural blondes, along with Abbey.  If they aren't, they have some masterful dye jobs!  Either way, I have no trouble telling them apart.  I'm on the fence about Christina.

I actually think you're right, @babs1226. Abbey, Tessa and Nicole don't look like bottle blondes to me either.  Steph probably isn't the genuine article and I also don't know about Christina. Tessa is very pretty, actually, and though I do see a resemblance to Paris Hilton she's not at all hard-faced or vacuous-looking!

As for eye candy, @Myriad, if Simon does it for you, that's just fine by me! I don't really have any eye candy this season.  Not only can't a lot of the blokes cook but they are not even nice-looking as a compensation...hah!  

7 hours ago, Myriad said:

I do owe Elena, my second favourite, an apology.  When she first appeared, my reaction was, oh, crap, she's gotten so fat since!  The minute it was announced that she was pregnant, I wished my apartment had a basement I could crawl under.  Stoopid me!

Well, aside from being pregnant she also looked to have gained weight in general but I'm sure she will be back to her gorgeous self in no time.  She apparently went into labour the other night while watching her episode!  I wonder if she's had the bub yet?

12 minutes ago, katisha said:

Well, aside from being pregnant she also looked to have gained weight in general but I'm sure she will be back to her gorgeous self in no time.  She apparently went into labour the other night while watching her episode!  I wonder if she's had the bub yet?

I didn't know one could watch TV while being in labour!  (I'm just humoring you, Katisha, teehee!)

Since you've revealed your age earlier, I can tell you that I'm just a year older than you are, so being a child of the late sixties and the whole seventies, I got used to men with actual hair, donning BBQs and cooking spaghetti sauces.  I'd much rather have a Simon haircut than a Dereck one, like he picked a roadkill and simply smashed it on top of his skull.

Speaking of men donning BBQs, I've just bought a charcoal thingie.  I keep looking at it, doing nothing, horribly terrified. In Georgia's words, it's a complete disaster!  😉

• LOL 1

I like Derek was well. He consistently hustles during those team challenges. There have been a few challenges where some of the contestants look a bit dazed and slow, but Derek keeps smiling and trucking through. He is my favourite so far.

I haven't been watching every episode. I missed Elena but from the sounds of it, the team challenge did not go well so I may not go back to that. This is my seventh year with the show and I'm not as interested in the format anymore especially at these early stages with so many contestants looking and acting the same. I also can't tell the blondes apart and this year's men are even more lacking. I'm not a fan of Simon or Tim.

I miss Shannon as mentor as well. He was so calm yet encouraging. Billie and Matt have really been lackluster, but I personally never liked Matt on the show. He's one of the few irrational dislike contestants I've seen. Poh is ok. I hope Callum shows up as he is one my other favourite former contestants too.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Athena said:

I miss Shannon as mentor as well. He was so calm yet encouraging.

I hope Callum shows up as he is one my other favourite former contestants too.

Same here.  He's sorely missing 😞

Callum needs a place in this show if they're going to bring back past contestants. I've always liked him over Adam the winner, whom I have nothing against,  and was way over the moon when George offered him a job.

• Love 2

Finally some mentors who mentored. (Put Billie out of her misery already!) Although Matt took it too far and seemed like he was auditioning for something.   

Was Tim supposed to be a "shocking" elimination. Cuz I remain unmoved. 

Oh dear. It seems Abby is the new Steph who was the new Tim.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:35 AM, Myriad said:

Blonde girls:  As in every season, I can't tell them apart.  I know that the habit of dying your hair blonde (WHY??) will never go away, but it makes it difficult for me. 

Why not, though? Some people - like me - aren't naturally blonde, but want to be blonde anyway. And since there's a way to achieve that… where's the harm?

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Rosenrot said:

Why not, though? Some people - like me - aren't naturally blonde, but want to be blonde anyway. And since there's a way to achieve that… where's the harm?

No harm at all, and it looks beautiful on many heads.  My mother has been artificially blonde all her life.  My WHY? is more akin to my natural avoidance of chemical products.  Well, as much as possible at least.  I wear make up only about once a year, for example.  I don't judge people for doing what they see fit with their appearance just because I would not do the same, but I do wish that the MasterChef lady contestants would make my life easier by having more distinct looks/personalities.  Yes, I'm shallow like that, teehee! 

I'm just beginning to tell Christina apart because she has a bit of a darker skin tone and a slightly rounder visage.  The other two, though, still lost.  😞

Edited by Myriad
Frigging typo!
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Myriad said:

I'm just beginning to tell Christina apart because she has a bit of a darker skin tone and a slightly rounder visage.  The other two, though, still lost.  😞

Okay, @Myriad, here are a couple of tips to help you tell Tessa from Nicole. 😊

1. Tessa has a bunch of random earrings in various places in her left ear. Nicole only has the conventional one earring, if that.

2. Nicole's hair is a whiter shade of blonde.

3. This may not help much but Tessa speaks with a discernible New Zealand accent!

Both rounds were interesting tonight. I must say, I have never seen yummier-looking Brussels sprouts than those Simon made...drool! 

As for the "use the whole ingredient" challenge, I am still in shock at seeing Ben, of all people, making it into the immunity challenge. I mean, this is the guy who is always saying, as he did again tonight in round 1, "This is my first time cooking with ingredient X," leaving me wondering, "Dude, what CAN you cook?" Nicole's snapper looked unappealing but not as much as Derek's dish with the creepy fish teeth poking up out of the bowl. 🤮 

Re Tessa's dish causing George to have that epic sweat, correct me if I am wrong but I am sure contestants have been actually penalised for that in the past. So I was surprised George was okay with it? Eating something that makes me feel like I am going to pass out would not make for a dish I would ever want to eat again or recommend.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, katisha said:

Okay, @Myriad, here are a couple of tips to help you tell Tessa from Nicole. 😊

1. Tessa has a bunch of random earrings in various places in her left ear. Nicole only has the conventional one earring, if that.

Thank you @katisha, this will help indeed.  As long as I can remember that it's Tessa and not Nicole with the multiple earrings, heee!

As for the New Zealand accent, I couldn't tell any more than you could differentiate a French accent from Montreal to that of Quebec City.  The only thing that helps tell whether a person is from Great Britain or Australia is the way you Aussies elongate your As.  George being the perfect example.  The way he says way has nothing to do with the realm of the Queen. (OT: I cannot ever think of the Queen without having that 2012 Olympiads Mr. Bean's stint in mind.  Mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi *yawn* mi-mi-mi-mi-mi... *pissed off* mi-mi-mi-mi-mi  AND NOTHING TO EAT!)

I've finished rewatching S7 with my love Billie and just began S8 with my not so love Mat and my second love Elena.  Wow, so many people I had forgotten about!  O_O

30 minutes ago, Myriad said:

As for the New Zealand accent, I couldn't tell any more than you could differentiate a French accent from Montreal to that of Quebec City. 

Good point! And to make it more tricky, Tessa has obviously been in Australia quite a while as a fair bit of her Kiwi accent has disappeared but it still comes out. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It was Nicole, Waleed and Christina. 🙂

Spoiler

And going by the latest Sportsbet market, Waleed will be the one to go home, I'd say.

Edited by katisha
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, katisha said:

Re Tessa's dish causing George to have that epic sweat, correct me if I am wrong but I am sure contestants have been actually penalised for that in the past. So I was surprised George was okay with it? Eating something that makes me feel like I am going to pass out would not make for a dish I would ever want to eat again or recommend.

I thought the same thing Katisha - being hot enough to make you feel ill is not something I look for in a dish!

I am dubious about the naff all comments for Steph's pumpkin dish - I think she grilled it with the skin on (after going back to look a couple of times) and burnt some pumpkin seeds but I don't think she really hit the brief of using the whole ingredient!

Abbey will be insufferable!

Looking forward to the ex-contestant challenge (mainly as it means the elimination challenge will be fairly quick and no 47 hour dessert nonsense!).  As controversial as it is I'm still hoping for Tim to get back in!

For all the contestants who said they 'hate' brussell sprouts it just means you are cooking them wrong!

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, katisha said:

Good point! And to make it more tricky, Tessa has obviously been in Australia quite a while as a fair bit of her Kiwi accent has disappeared but it still comes out. 

You got me intrigued here, @katisha!  I will certainly pay attention.  Accents are a wonder and an interest to me.  French people from the old continent can tell apart who's from France, who's from Belgium and who's from Switzerland.  I can tell who's from Paris and who's from Marseille, but Belgium and Switzerland as a whole?  They all sound the same to my ears. @xchouchoutex's accent I could tell, though, because Arabs have a kind of singing when talking, and they use words differently.  But I'd be lost in telling from which Arab country they're hailing.

That was waaaay out of topic while I'm waiting for the last episode to come out.  *blushing* To tie it up together, even food has its very distinctive accents.  Is it OK with you, @Athena😉

• Love 3

Myriad I have missed you so much! So glad to see you're back to posting on the MC AU forum, which is the show and forum I look forward to the most every year.

Disappointed slightly this year as there's no one that I'm actively LOVING, but I like Tati, Tessa, Nicole and Derek. I think the boys are boring me, too, though, and I HATE the lack of Shannon. Poh, Matt and Billie are just not great at mentoring. Would like to add, though, that Matt Preston in his shorts suits at the beach was everything.

Waleed is probably toast unless he pulls out a miracle and I have yet to see anything that makes him appear as a miracle worker so far. 

Wanted to go watch, kind of, but if Abbey was the star again this week, I'm going to have to think about it. I'm beginning to wonder if she's the eventual winner or if she's heading for a huge fall.

Interested to see who's coming back from the eliminateds. 

Still love this forum!! It has provocative insights, great senses of humour and the best class of people on the interwebs!!!

• Love 2
(edited)
36 minutes ago, PepperMonkey said:

Myriad I have missed you so much! So glad to see you're back to posting on the MC AU forum, which is the show and forum I look forward to the most every year.

Aaaawww, you're cute!  Thank you.  Since we said last year that we're counting the months, weeks and days for the show to come back starting January, as soon as the New Year's festivities were over my thoughts went to you.  Yesss, only five months to wait!  Hahaha!

It looks like we won't have Gordon back this year, which I'm sorry about, loving his peculiar British humour.  The one episode I often come back to is the in-house restaurant challenge, where he said, "That salmon is so raw that if I put it in the ocean it will start to swim."  It took me days to recover from the laughing.

My boyfriend doesn't watch MasterChef but he'll hear me talk about it non stop and even watch some portions I want to share.  In the in-house restaurant episode this season (which happened way earlier it seems), I had a good belly laugh when Tati said there was enough gelatine in her pana cotta to set an entire pool.  When sharing this with my boyfriend, it took him a mere nano second to reply:  "I bet there's a raw salmon swimming underneath."  Heeee!

Edited by Myriad
Found a better word and I'm anal with words
  • Love 2

Testing 1, 2, 3...  I get posting notifications but the posts don't get to me, so trying this just in case.  Please ignore me and don't think I'm ignoring you.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:45 AM, Myriad said:

My WHY? is more akin to my natural avoidance of chemical products.  Well, as much as possible at least.  I wear make up only about once a year, for example. 

Ah, got it. 🙂 I must say I really admire you for that! It always bugs me that I'm so dependent on all sorts of chemical products, but I just never seem to be able to do anything about it. 

10 hours ago, katisha said:

As for the "use the whole ingredient" challenge, I am still in shock at seeing Ben, of all people, making it into the immunity challenge.

I didn't watch the episode yet (damn Finnish Gladiators are taking too much of my time), but whaaaaat? Ben in the immunity challenge? Will Ben be the Battered-Fish-And-Peas -Ben of this season?? Jesus, I hope not. 

• LOL 1
(edited)

I hope you can see this post, @Myriad!

Well, thanks to my tendency to spoil myself for results by reading Sportsbet markets, that was the least surprising returning hamster competition ever.  I knew from the start that Tim was going to be back in the competition.  Now, not to upset his fans (hello, @misgabi13!) but even though his dish looked delicious, it wasn't exactly something we haven't seen from him before i.e. hunk of meat + puree + caramelised something or other.  I just wish they had decided to reward contestants like Dee and Jess especially, who really cooked quite unusual dishes and pushed themselves out there.  I would hope Tim's dish really was better than theirs and not part of that whole bloody "Prince Harry" narrative.  But he sure is popular with the other contestants.

Walleed is an interesting character.  He seems to go into some kind of zone when cooking where he just doesn't take any information in.  I don't know how much more clearly he could have been told, first by Sandeep and then by Anushka, that the artichoke leaves are inedible, but somehow he managed to forget anyway. 

Edited by katisha
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, katisha said:

Now, not to upset his fans (hello, @misgabi13!)

Hi Katisha, you could never upset me.

I know many of you are not Tim fans but I've always liked him.  Plus all that delicious caramelised goodness on that plate (plus added miso gloriousness), (plus, plus a rare steak!!!!) just made me drool (or as George would say I'm salivating)  LOL

I think it might have been one of those dishes that looked like meat and veg but was 'elevated' (or maybe been on a 'journey' in reality TV wank speak!  LOL).

I agree some did something a bit different but I don't think Jess' dish was as balanced as their comments said (she said the plums were bitter then added vinegar and uzu to fix that?????)

As for Dee her coffee dome was quite wonky and she seems to have just put caramel on top of bits of chopped up banana - plus she got a really short review so we knew she wouldn't be back.  Maybe it was the coffee and bacon combo which sounds disgusting (even though I love maple syrup and bacon on my pancakes!).

I kind of liked the dumplings that 'should have been in split yoghurt and would love to try them and kind of liked Kyle's (again with that gorgeous caramelised cauliflower).  Clearly, I just loved baked cauliflower!  LOL 

I'm still happy that Tim got back in and am not looking forward to tomorrow night where Abbey gets a chance for a pin!

On the Waleed going home front, I don't think he was that strong a cook and clearly had NO idea about artichoke.  Poor Anushka nearly had a heart attack trying to get him to use the correct part of the artichoke!

Plus:  Steph got far too many talking heads!

Edited by misgabi13
  • Love 1

It was nice not having Tim for a week.

He definitely shouldn't have been let back into the competition with a steak and mushrooms dish. His steak was pale and had no juice. Caramelized onions. Puree. Parsnip chips. Boring.

He reminds me of that 1 guy or bloke every season who comes in and does meat all the time like Arum or Ben or Brett or Stephen and the list goes on.

It was inevitable he would be chosen though. The judges always favour the contestants that most recently leave the Masterchef kitchen over others that were eliminated and have gotten some kitchen experience.

Yossra's and Jess's dishes looked much better compared to his dish.

Walleed definitely has blinkers and earmuffs on when he cooks. He might have been called first over Christina had he given the judges the artichoke heart instead of the inedible artichoke leaves.

• Love 3

I knew Waleed would be leaving when he suddenly got attention the day before.  I don't recall them even asking him what he was making at any point prior to that.  Of course they probably did, but the editors are obviously not Waleed fans.

I accidentally spoiled myself about who was returning by going on FB before I watched.  It usually takes the FB page a while to post things like that, but not today.  I am not surprised.  I don't think they wanted to eliminate Tim after the pressure test, but he didn't give them a choice.  Whatever lol. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ppl said:

It was nice not having Tim for a week.

It sure was. I wanted Kyle. 😞 (Just watching Sunday's episode so I haven't seen today's episode yet... I don't know what he cooked but I don't even care, I just wanted him to come back.)

*snort* George, please don't say "I know you two and I know what makes you weak at the knees" ever again. I have images in my head now that necessarily don't need to be there. 

Could somebody possibly throw me a little spoiler and tell me where Simon is in the sportsbet markets? I'd look for myself, but I'm afraid I'll get spoiled more than I want to - I'm just curious about Simon. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I wanted Kyle. 😞 (Just watching Sunday's episode so I haven't seen today's episode yet... I don't know what he cooked but I don't even care, I just wanted him to come back.)

Steak with cauliflower puree and roasted cauliflower, with za'atar and toasted sunflower seeds. Head-to-head with Tim on the steak, and not quite as strong, apparently.

(His fiancee might be grateful not to be the only adult at home right now! Two brand new babies, a toddler, and still recovering physically.  I know they both knew this, but it's still a lot to ask of your partner to shoulder it all alone. I'm sure there's family support, but still.)

Edited by akr
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Could somebody possibly throw me a little spoiler and tell me where Simon is in the sportsbet markets? I'd look for myself, but I'm afraid I'll get spoiled more than I want to - I'm just curious about Simon. 

He's in a decent position. I like Simon and I'm pleased. 

Lol tell me if you want more info!

• Love 3

Some posts keep missing, showing in my notifications but not on the boards. 😞  @xchouchoutex, yours is one. @katisha I could see yours alright!  And I see no mention of episode 30 here (already passed the midpoint?  SNIF!)

So, episode 30.  Fennel is the new beetroot!  All  hail the mighty fennel that we shall crown The White and Green Beetroot!

Steph blowing on her food to tender to the flames, really?  As in full WOOOOSH! actions, probably spitting all over the meat?  Get her out this minute with a hairdresser's business card.

It reminds me of my stepbrother who would cough IN the fridge.  Good thing we weren't living together because I was already on my own, but my mom sure turned green every time.  Or white.  Fennel mom.

I can't even work up the enthusiasm to watch another immunity episode, so I let the FB page tell me that Tessa got the pin. I reckon that's all I need to know and I don't need to waste time actually sitting through it now. 😁

While I do like the immunity pin episodes, despite their utter uselessness, I find that they carry no rewatching value whatsoever, while I'm currently going through past seasons.  Heck, I even skip the mystery box episodes, sticking to team challenges and eliminations.  Even the pressure tests, some of them are so out of this world that I can't be bothered.  First world problems!

• Love 2