Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: From Turkey With Love

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Let's just call it like it was - Marge said it because she was being bitchy.  Simple as that. 

Yup it was bitchy and catty.

I still like Marge over anybody on tean OSV.

• Love 12

I didn't find the purpose of the event to be bad. These women have been through so much, and it is hard to justify spending on pampering when you need to you need to make a choice about buying food vs clothing, etc. I volunteered at a homeless help event, and it included massages. I think the goal was to give the women one day of just feeling safe, relaxed, and lovely. 

But the kid having only chips to eat broke my heart. I do wish the food had been more substantial and healthy. More veggies, maybe cheeseburgers for the kids, etc. 

• Love 7

In her defense, Dolores did ask the women if they would like a spa/pampering party.  And I'm also not convinved that she has a lot of experience doing this kind of thing.  I'm not sure she would have even known to ask Dress for Success to have a rep there to talk about yheir services, or to fill goody bags with toothpaste and tampons, etc.  Or perhaps the shelter already helps with those services and Dolores wanted to help in the way she best understands...feeling done up.  Dolores is not Dina, despite Bravo trying to make her the new Dina, and Dina would have said "we have goody bags full of necessary toiletries that are hard to come by, and then just for fun some designer lip gloss and face cream because what woman doesn't want to feel beautiful?" Vs Dolores who said "all women should enjoy being pampered, so here, let's pamper!" And not think about practicalities.  

What bothered me was the blatant discomfort of some people in the room (shelter residents and housewives, esp Jackie), as well as the blatant on display socioeconomic gap between guests, caught on camera for all the world to see.

• Love 7

Well Melda is basically a mail order bride just not in the back in the day way. She’s coming from another country to marry some dud because he’s Turkish and owns a business. Yea there’s the whole if they like each other thing so she’s not exactly being forced but it’s still backwards as fuck. Her father accepts at the party too. It’s just all a joke. 

• Love 6

I'm really liking Marge this season, she's a lot more enjoyable away from Danielle. Glad she's finally seeing the light with that psycho. And, unpopular opinion, I like Dolores. I hope her and Marge can maintain getting along and hopefully form a friendship.  

• Love 3

I like Dolores too.  Sure her relationships are effed up and she pledges 'loyalty' to the worst people, but I just can't quit her.  She seems reasonable and she stands by her original opinion of Danielle.  (Scumbag!Scumbag!Scumbag). LOL

Plus, she's really good with dogs.  

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:14 AM, MV713 said:

Old School Values = putting your head in the sand, sweeping problems under the rug, and never talk about anything important.  Oh but family!

Can we all spell Dolores name correct?  Just a nit pick but its not spelled Delores.

As soon as people stop saying "so and so could care less."  If they COULD care less, it means they DO care.  Think about it.   

And "such and such is the worse."  What does that even mean?  It's the WORST.  

Ah hem.  I feel better now.   Carry on.

• Love 5

Re: Jennifer and her endless talk of traditions and Turkish culture.

I briefly dated a guy from Turkey. He moved to the U.S. for a medical fellowship. A good chunk of this stuff that Jennifer talks of as being a part of her culture he wouldn't recognize. He had had multiple girlfriends, even lived with a woman for several years before moving to the States. We didn't date for too long, so marriage or engagement never came up, but I can't imagine he would've gone through that whole ceremony for a woman he was already living with. We dated like a normal American couple would date. 

I was also acquaintances with a woman from Turkey, who had married an American man. They met when he was over there for business, and for a couple of years had a very traditionally *American* relationship. When she moved over here they lived together before eventually getting married. I went to their wedding, and it was not traditional in any sense.

I'm not saying Jennifer is not accurate in her portrayal of HER family's life, but I don't think it extends to all Turkish culture. (Much like these Ho'Wives do not represent the majority of American culture.) So her continually acting horrified or shocked about how some of the other women's lives  and marriages are different than hers strikes me as somewhat disingenuous. My hunch is that she is overcompensating with that to ignore the fact that she has kind of a miserable marriage.

Edited by candle96
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

I never watched Shahs.  Was it any good?

Opinions differ, but I always thought Shahs was the same shitshow over and over. I missed the past couple of seasons, but I found it vacillates somewhere between boring and then insane fights. But then they're over the fight and back to being friends like 5 minutes later without the issue ever being resolved. It's like a closed circle.  I can't put my finger on it, but something about the show depressed me. Several people are hot messes, but not in a fun way. And, surprise surprise, many of them seem to live beyond their means (like many Bravo-ebrities!). I don't know, given how much I like the Housewives, you'd think the Shahs would be right up my alley, but it never quite clicked.

Edited by candle96