Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Primetimer

Suiting Up For Lindsay Lohan's Beach Club And The Masked Singer

Recommended Posts

Neither "Blink" nor "Midnight" are typical Dr Who episodes: "Blink" was written to give both series leads a break in the production schedule, and "Midnight" was from the following season, when they had a "Doctor heavy" episode followed by a "companion heavy" episode, so the actors could have their breaks in shifts. Which I'm only pointing out because it's interesting that EHG listeners clearly think the only way to sneak the show into the canon is by finding episodes that elide the shows core elements.

Anyway, "Midnight" is well loved by the "real" fans, but it contains my absolute biggest Dr Who pet peeve: a plot that hinges on someone who's known the Doctor for 42 minutes deciding to sacrifice themselves so he can live. It's nuts how often that happens.

Share this post


Link to post

I contemplated submitting the Dr Who episode Human Nature for the Canon, but again, you couldn't exactly say it was a standard episode, since the Doctor is human for most of it (it's... complicated). Though the story I'd really like to submit would be 1977's The Robots of Death from Old Who (because it's awesome!), but it's a 4 Part serial. I'm also slightly concerned that the awesomeness it holds in my memory will be spoilt by actually rewatching it!

Spoiler

Was that 2 consecutive victories for the Valued Guest? Though it's a little unfair this week as they had two people who could claim the title for them.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I totally called the unicorn on The Maaked singer is probably Tori Spelling. Other than that this doesn’t seem like a show I can watch every week. This should have been a summer show. Because it’s on Wednesday and I have other shows to watch.

I couldn’t get into the beach club show. It doesn’t have the same thing VPR has and it makes me sad how hard Lindsay is trying to be Lisa.

Share this post


Link to post

I was hoping Game Time would have the bizarre instance of Quentin Tarantino guest starring on Margaret Cho's All-American Girl sitcom.

Share this post


Link to post

On Amazon, the episode before Midnight is "Forest of the Dead", the second episode of a two-part story. I'm surprised that Sara liked it, having not seen the first episode, but I do think that Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead combo would be a better choice for the canon than Midnight. Vincent & the Doctor and The Girl in the Fireplace are the only other two that I think would really stand a chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, April Bloodgate said:

On Amazon, the episode before Midnight is "Forest of the Dead", the second episode of a two-part story. I'm surprised that Sara liked it, having not seen the first episode, but I do think that Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead combo would be a better choice for the canon than Midnight.

Had the exactly same thought. Maybe Sarah just liked Seeing Dr. Elizabeth Corday steal the episode.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sorry, are we just going to give a pass to someone portraying Woody Allen as a creep on Just Shoot Me in 1997? That is some "Simpson's Did It" level of precog on the part of the JSM writing staff. What did they already know?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

I'm sorry, are we just going to give a pass to someone portraying Woody Allen as a creep on Just Shoot Me in 1997? That is some "Simpson's Did It" level of precog on the part of the JSM writing staff. What did they already know?

I think we've known Woody Allen is gross for a long time. The Soon Yi stuff happened in 1992.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Stowaway said:
21 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

I'm sorry, are we just going to give a pass to someone portraying Woody Allen as a creep on Just Shoot Me in 1997? That is some "Simpson's Did It" level of precog on the part of the JSM writing staff. What did they already know?

I think we've known Woody Allen is gross for a long time. The Soon Yi stuff happened in 1992.

Sure, but it's still pretty remarkable in 1997 for a network show to come out and state it so boldly. I mean, there are still big names today who are actively supporting/protecting him.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

Sure, but it's still pretty remarkable in 1997 for a network show to come out and state it so boldly. I mean, there are still big names today who are actively supporting/protecting him.

I'm confused.  I read the plot description and thought the creepy Woody Allen in the Just Shoot Me is not the real one. 

Share this post


Link to post

Kat and Jocelyn were great guests - looking forward to tracking down their podcast.

Alyssa Sutherland (mentioned as appearing in an upcoming 'SVU') is not one of 'the' Sutherlands. She's an Australian model turned actress. I know this because she won a modelling comp for a teen magazine here and I was thrilled when a popular mean girl told me I looked like her. After reading the 'Vikings' forums, I see that her looks are pretty divisive so it was probably an insult!

Share this post


Link to post

Kat and Jocelyn were great guests - looking forward to tracking down their podcast.

Alyssa Sutherland (mentioned as appearing in an upcoming 'SVU') is not one of 'the' Sutherlands. She's an Australian model turned actress. I know this because she won a modelling comp for a teen magazine here and I was thrilled when a popular mean girl told me I looked like her. After reading the 'Vikings' forums, I see that her looks are pretty divisive so it was probably an insult!

I love their podcast. It's enjoyable for me even when I haven't seen the movie or occasional TV show. Be careful though. If you really, really, really love a movie and can't bear any criticism, skip it if you aren't sure you can appreciate it in a new light. They are fun to listen to but make keen observations.

Always assume it was meant as a compliment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, LCanterbury said:

Alyssa Sutherland (mentioned as appearing in an upcoming 'SVU') is not one of 'the' Sutherlands. She's an Australian model turned actress. I know this because she won a modelling comp for a teen magazine here and I was thrilled when a popular mean girl told me I looked like her. After reading the 'Vikings' forums, I see that her looks are pretty divisive so it was probably an insult!

Ah! Sorry. I know about Sarah (Kiefer's daughter, of Veep), but I thought there was a Kiefer sister in the dynasty too. Apologies!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×