Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Just watched Iron Man 2 again on FX, and I just do not understand why people do not like this movie.  I think it's fantastic, they introduce the Black Widow and War Machine, the briefcase armor is cool, and it's worth it just for Justin Hammer's dancing alone.  They even have the nerve to touch on Tony's drinking problem.  Some think Whiplash is a weak villain but he's better than Stane in the first movie, and better than Killian in 3 (IMO).  Mandarin might have been better, but well, you know.  Very underrated flick IMO.

There's Whiplash's accent, for one. I understood about one word in three, IIRC.

3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Just watched Iron Man 2 again on FX, and I just do not understand why people do not like this movie.  I think it's fantastic, they introduce the Black Widow and War Machine, the briefcase armor is cool, and it's worth it just for Justin Hammer's dancing alone.  They even have the nerve to touch on Tony's drinking problem.  Some think Whiplash is a weak villain but he's better than Stane in the first movie, and better than Killian in 3 (IMO).  Mandarin might have been better, but well, you know.  Very underrated flick IMO.

It's been awhile since I saw it, but I feel like it's a lot of cool moments, but just not a main plot that works well. However, I absolutely love the scene at the courthouse with Tony's "You want my property? You can't have it!" speech.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

It's not my favorite Iron Man film but I do enjoy it. Truth be told, I enjoy the crap out of all the MCU films. Ever since they started world-building with the first Iron Man movie, they have yet to make a bad film, IMHO. Sure, there are a few that aren't outstanding and have their flaws, but I enjoy them just the same. I would never say I hate any of them. 

• Love 9
(edited)
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

I remember being disappointed because the first movie how much I enjoyed the first movie. I did love the suitcase armor, Black Widow and the scenes of Tony creating the new element for his arc reactor, and the old film of his father. My opinion of it has improved since. It's really a unique look at the first celebrity superhero where everyone knows his identity and how the public reacts to him. My favorite bit in the suitcase armor scene is when Tony changes into Iron Man and the people in the Monaco Grand Prix stands get excited and move closer.

Tom Holland Leaks Title for Spider-Man: Homecoming Sequel

I'm guessing it was staged because of Tom's reputation of blurting out spoilers!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

It's not my favorite Iron Man film but I do enjoy it. Truth be told, I enjoy the crap out of all the MCU films. Ever since they started world-building with the first Iron Man movie, they have yet to make a bad film, IMHO. 

Thanks for saying that.  Even if it's not someone's favorite Iron Man movie, I don't understand why it has such a bad reputation.  There's even a joke on one episode of Big Bang Theory where he says something like "I watched Iron Man 2, Robert Downey Jr. owes me two hours of my life back".  Even if you don't like it, it's nowhere near that bad.  As a poster pointed out above, it has a lot of cool moments at least.

Regarding the title of the new Spider-Man movie, the first thing I thought was that maybe it took place in space lol.  Not sure that would be the best idea.  It is kind of odd to take Spider-Man out of New York.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, rmontro said:

I like Iron Man 2, but I think there are some glaring weaknesses.

I do think Whiplash is a crap villain. They'd have been better off beefing up Hammer's role, in my view. And this movie does highlight the formula that Marvel movies are locked into, which is the big, CGI-laden final fight as a climax.

I also think that the pay off of "Tony might be dying" is handled too flippantly. It runs through the movie as the underlying reason for him drinking and acting out, but then it's revealed to Pepper as a throwaway gag during the movie's climax. There's never a chance for her to appreciate the weight of it, and realise that this is why he's been such an ass.

But I really like Robert Downey Jr's performance in this, because he has the dramatic chops to play Tony's self-destructive side, and underlay it with real pathos. And Don Cheadle is an upgrade on Terrence Howard as Rhodey.  People tend to overlook this, because Gwyneth Paltrow plays her, but Pepper is one of the best female characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. She's strong, intelligent, holds her own against all Tony's manchild antics, and she's a really likeable presence. 

The introduction of Natasha is really well done, and that hallway fight is still one of the best moments that Black Widow has had in the MCU. It's also one of only two times we see Natasha doing the job she's supposed to be really good at. Namely: being a spy.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

People tend to overlook this, because Gwyneth Paltrow plays her, but Pepper is one of the best female characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. She's strong, intelligent, holds her own against all Tony's manchild antics, and she's a really likeable presence. 

Pepper and Glee, of all places, are the only things I've ever really liked her in.  Her refusal to put up with his shit is quite endearing.

And I still love the "Proof that Tony Stark Has a Heart" ARC reactor display she gave him.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

People tend to overlook this, because Gwyneth Paltrow plays her, but Pepper is one of the best female characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

It was nice to see her back again in Infinity War, after being gone for a movie or two.

One reason I really like Black Widow in Iron Man 2 is she looks the most like the comic book character in this one.  She looks fantastic with that long red hair whipping around during the fight scene .  Didn't care for the switch to blonde in Infinity War, not sure what that was about.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/24/2018 at 10:44 AM, rmontro said:

Didn't care for the switch to blonde in Infinity War, not sure what that was about.

I thought I was the only one. The blonde is a little lighter (and more of an ash tone) than Scarlett normally goes on her own, but even more problematic is that she seems to have lightened her eyebrows. It just washes her out. I think her blonde hair and Cap's beard are meant to give the impression that they have changed their appearances to travel and get around.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I think her blonde hair and Cap's beard are meant to give the impression that have changed their appearances to travel and get around.

That was the impression I got too.

re: Iron Man 2, imo its biggest problem is that it tries to cover 3.5 movies’ worth of material in 1 movie, so everything feels underdeveloped. Tony dying and being an ass along the way could have been its own movie. (Side note, I really like Pepper but I hate that she and Tony got together at the end of the movie. He was SUCH a dick all movie to her. She doesn’t put up with his manchild BS...up until the point where they make out at the end and has he even apologized for anything at that point?) Hammer could’ve been his own movie. With some tweaking, Whiplash also could’ve been his own movie. And then you have the real introduction of SHIELD. There’s just too much going on and so it all feels half-baked. I don’t think Iron Man 2 is bad, exactly, it’s just not coherent (and I really can’t stand Tony in it). I think it feels worse than it is because you can see the bones of several stronger movies in there but they’re not allowed to come out and play.

I love Natasha’s hallway fight scene—that remains one of the more exciting fight scenes that the MCU has done overall—but at the time I was very underwhelmed by the film’s portrayal of Natasha in general. imo it was retroactively rescued by the first Avengers movie.

• Love 2

I think Iron Man 2 gets lost in the shuffle.  I like it fine, there's just other Marvel movies I like better.  I think the attitude may be a holdover from the previous era of comic-book movies (Iron Man 2 came out closer to the Tobey Macguire Spiderman 2 and The Dark Knight than to the present), where the sequel is expected to be bigger than the first, before Marvel changed the game at how we look at superhero movies.  I think it was people's expectations for the movie that were let down rather than anything the movie itself did.

• Love 1

I think that Rourke was just a complete misfire in terms of casting, really the only major part in the MCU that I've felt that way about.

3 hours ago, stealinghome said:

re: Iron Man 2, imo its biggest problem is that it tries to cover 3.5 movies’ worth of material in 1 movie, so everything feels underdeveloped.

And then there's this. As much as people talk about DC trying to have a shared universe without the work, Marvel really seemed to to cram 2 or 3 films worth of their world building into IM2 in order to really set up their shared universe for Avengers.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I thought I was the only one. The blonde is a little lighter (and more of an ash tone) than Scarlett normally goes on her own, but even more problematic is that she seems to have lightened her eyebrows. It just washes her out. I think her blonde hair and Cap's beard are meant to give the impression that have changed their appearances to travel and get around.

I agree on Widow's blonde hair, but I will weep when Cap shaves that magnificent beard! 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I love Natasha’s hallway fight scene—that remains one of the more exciting fight scenes that the MCU has done overall

What is it with Marvel and hallway fights?

8 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I think that Rourke was just a complete misfire in terms of casting, really the only major part in the MCU that I've felt that way about.

To be honest, the first time I watched I didn't care for Rourke/Whiplash much at all.  But I've liked him better on subsequent viewings, for whatever reason.  

21 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I don't get it.

Because Spider-Man got dusted. The dust looks like the sand in the bucket in the picture. This is Iron Man taking Spider-Man's dust to the beach for father son bonding.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

But... but... he's "gone".  **snerk**  

(also, he, Seb and Mackie were adorable in Seattle on Saturday)

Maybe it, like Ant-Man and the Wasp, will be set before the events of IW. I don't know how I feel about that, considering A4 comes out two months before but you know what? I'll still be there opening day.

Peter must think his friends are morons if they don't notice Spidey showing up in Europe at the same time as them, especially since he showed up in DC in the previous movie.  I guess he might be able to get away with it if Spidey is publicly declared an Avenger and is expected to be a global hero.  Or he goes the Batman route and is clandestine but that doesn't really match the Spider-man MO.

(edited)

Marvel Studios Is Still Interested In A Power Pack Movie

Speaking exclusively to Screen Rant, Kevin Feige revealed that Marvel Studios is still interested in doing a Power Pack movie. In 2004, Marvel Studios began to work on the idea of self-financing their own films. It took Marvel a year to get their plans in order, and in 2005 the as-yet-untested studio announced plans for what would become the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The first wave of properties Marvel looked to develop included characters like Black Panther, Cloak & Dagger, and Power Pack. That lineup changed over time, and Marvel soon focused on the idea of building a shared cinematic universe that would climax with The Avengers. Power Pack was put on the backburner, but last year we learned that Marvel was still interested in this potential franchise. Producer Jonathan Schwartz was given executive oversight on the project.

There have been no updates since September 2017. Speaking to Marvel's Kevin Feige at the press junket for Ant-Man & the Wasp, we took the opportunity to ask if he could tell us if there was any progress on this potential film. He explained that Schwartz is attached to Marvel Studios, and is currently focused on Captain Marvel. But the studio remains interested in Power Pack.

"Power Pack is a property that we've been interested in for a long time. For many years because we wanted to do something for families, something that's a little younger, Ant-Man has kind of become that franchise, certainly with Ant-Man and the Wasp, but Power Pack still is one of the many things that we discuss, wouldn't it be fun to do someday?"

Edited by Dee
(edited)
5 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Jared Leto to Star in Sony Spider-Man Title 'Morbius,'

Whenever a Sony Spider-verse movie pops I just imagine Amy Pascal cornering Kevin Feige in a room and him sighing heavily and saying "I guess".

I don't know who asked for this but I wish them an ounce of luck.

I don't know how they are going to do this without Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Blade, or Ghost Rider. Is he just going to be a straight up regular vampire? Or is he  going to just be a biochemist who accidentally becomes a vampire in an experiment? And to echo what @JessePinkman said, who asked for this.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Dee said:

The same Tony who near single-handedly created a Winter Soldier-esque sentient robot bent on world destruction a couple of years prior?

"Every time someone tries to win the war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time." - Steve Rogers, Age of Ultron

Let's forget the Starks. Let's forget Natasha, who has been shot twice during her encounters with the Winter Solider. Let's even forget that if the Winter Soldier had been able to reach Nick Fury's overturned vehicle a little more quickly, the scene of Steve, Nat and Maria Hill grieving over Nick's dead body would have been for real. Those things only seem worse in the sense that three out of those four people have been involved in Steve's life, but what about the other innocent people who were killed? Natasha tells Steve during WS that the guy who shot her was credited for two dozen assassinations over the course of fifty years. Sure, we could infer that Hydra was willing to kill its own, since Jasper Sitwell got yanked out of Cap's car and pitched into traffic, but there's no reason to presume that there weren't others like Maria Stark, who didn't do a damn thing except be with her husband the night he was murdered. And maybe had it not been for the Winter Soldier squeezing the life out of his mother, because that's what Tony references and not the father who was the real target, he might have been willing to let Barnes live.

I'm not saying Steve's a villain or a bad person. By regular human standards, his halo is still shiny, if a little crooked. But hindsight with its twenty-twenty vision renders his earlier lecturing gratingly hypocritical, because Bucky cares more about the terrible things he's done than he needs to, and Steve doesn't seem to care at all. So which innocent people was he talking about, exactly?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"Every time someone tries to win the war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time." - Steve Rogers, Age of Ultron

Let's forget the Starks. Let's forget Natasha, who has been shot twice during her encounters with the Winter Solider. Let's even forget that if the Winter Soldier had been able to reach Nick Fury's overturned vehicle a little more quickly, the scene of Steve, Nat and Maria Hill grieving over Nick's dead body would have been for real. Those things only seem worse in the sense that three out of those four people have been involved in Steve's life, but what about the other innocent people who were killed? Natasha tells Steve during WS that the guy who shot her was credited for two dozen assassinations over the course of fifty years. Sure, we could infer that Hydra was willing to kill its own, since Jasper Sitwell got yanked out of Cap's car and pitched into traffic, but there's no reason to presume that there weren't others like Maria Stark, who didn't do a damn thing except be with her husband the night he was murdered. And maybe had it not been for the Winter Soldier squeezing the life out of his mother, because that's what Tony references and not the father who was the real target, he might have been willing to let Barnes live.

I'm not saying Steve's a villain or a bad person. By regular human standards, his halo is still shiny, if a little crooked. But hindsight with its twenty-twenty vision renders his earlier lecturing gratingly hypocritical, because Bucky cares more about the terrible things he's done than he needs to, and Steve doesn't seem to care at all. So which innocent people was he talking about, exactly?

I wouldn't say Steve doesn't care about what Bucky did. They twisted his mind and took away his free will. Should Bucky serve time for killing innocent people when he was little more than someone's meat puppet? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I wouldn't say Steve doesn't care about what Bucky did. They twisted his mind and took away his free will. Should Bucky serve time for killing innocent people when he was little more than someone's meat puppet? 

Yes, Steve was absolutely committed to stopping him.  The situation with Bucky was essentially the same situation as with Clint when Loki took him over.  And Bucky does feel profoundly guilty about what he did, just as Clint did, but there was no intent, just as their wasn't with Clint.  The biggest difference was, I think, that everybody knew Clint before and knew who he truly was so everyone wanted to find another way than just putting a bullet through his (and Professor Selvig's) head... it was approached as a rescue mission, but Steve was the only one that knew Bucky and knew he needed rescuing.  Which also follows into one of the biggest things Sebastian Stan keeps talking about for Bucky in IW (and going forward) is about him learning who (of the Avengers) to trust and them learning to trust him (though it's hard to do that with 2 minutes of screen time, so hopefully we'll get to see more of what he talked about in A4).  

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Yes, Steve was absolutely committed to stopping him.  The situation with Bucky was essentially the same situation as with Clint when Loki took him over.  And Bucky does feel profoundly guilty about what he did, just as Clint did, but there was no intent, just as their wasn't with Clint.  The biggest difference was, I think, that everybody knew Clint before and knew who he truly was so everyone wanted to find another way than just putting a bullet through his (and Professor Selvig's) head... it was approached as a rescue mission, but Steve was the only one that knew Bucky and knew he needed rescuing.  Which also follows into one of the biggest things Sebastian Stan keeps talking about for Bucky in IW (and going forward) is about him learning who (of the Avengers) to trust and them learning to trust him (though it's hard to do that with 2 minutes of screen time, so hopefully we'll get to see more of what he talked about in A4).  

I think it is more likely to come or we will see the results in Black Panther 2 since the Wakandans have already rebranded him from the Winter Soldier to The White Wolf.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Raja said:

I think it is more likely to come or we will see the results in Black Panther 2 since the Wakandans have already rebranded him from the Winter Soldier to The White Wolf.

I definitely hope we'll see him in that environment too, but don't think he'd have much opportunity to interact with other Avengers there.  I think Black Panther is a superhero, but not really an Avenger (yet?). Though when the current 'CEO'/Tony retires, that could change... but it feels like they are going to move away from the big team up/Avenger movies after A4.    

And with what they keep talking about with the quantum realm from AntMan & The Wasp, I'm hoping we might actually see where everyone went in A4, and maybe even spend some time there with them, while the original crew deals with whatever they're going to be dealing with elsewhere.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I've heard of this Morbius movie being in the works.  I would much rather see a Spidey movie with Morbius as the villain, however.

I guess Disney is waiting on the response to Venom before deciding if they will treat Sony's Spider-Man universe as MCU canon.

The quantum realm could be a source of new villains and characters also.  Psycho Man and Hyperion both came from microscopic universes, just off the top of my head.  I doubt if they would use Hyperion though, since he is a parody of Superman.  I'd love to see the Squadron Supreme (or Sinister) in the MCU though.  Their best story, where they took over a world to solve its problems but become corrupt with power, had a Watchman-like feel to it.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

THIS has me excited!!!... more about the MCU-based quantum realm from AntMan and The Wasp (minor spoilers). 

Parts of season 4 of Agents of SHIELD hinted at this including science and magic manipulating energy by different mechanisms to produce the same results. Although, I doubt the films will ever acknowledge that.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, HunterHunted said:

I don't know how they are going to do this without Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Blade, or Ghost Rider. Is he just going to be a straight up regular vampire? Or is he  going to just be a biochemist who accidentally becomes a vampire in an experiment? And to echo what @JessePinkman said, who asked for this.

Agreed.  I like the Morbius character and have wanted to see him used in a Spider-Man movie but if Spider-Man is not involved then I have no interest whatsoever.  Same thing with Gambit...if they X-Men are not involved, I have no interest in seeing a solo movie with him.

Seems appropriate and I actually like it. Kinda goes with their comments that the title wasn't really that big of a deal.  And if this is the title, I think it actually makes sense to 'leak' it (kind of like they did with Tom Holland and SpiderMan2's title), since this title as a big reveal would be pretty anticlimactic.  But I would have expected them to hold off and release it in some way at SDCC.  So, maybe some unfortunate person is going to loose their job over this.  But who knows, it may not even be accurate... it could just be someone trolling.

• Love 3
On 6/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, Wynterwolf said:

These posts are exactly why I can't write tumblr off completely.  

The one about people not getting that Steve, growing up a poor, disabled Irish-American who's probably the son or grandson of immigrants, in what would become a gay neighborhood in New York City, would probably not be conservative is right up there with Doctor Who's "I was on my way to a gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled, when I suddenly thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish.'"

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, starri said:

The one about people not getting that Steve, growing up a poor, disabled Irish-American who's probably the son or grandson of immigrants, in what would become a gay neighborhood in New York City, would probably not be conservative is right up there with Doctor Who's "I was on my way to a gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled, when I suddenly thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish.'"

Heh, yes.  Also, the fact that the MCU literally combined a canonically queer character with Bucky Barnes to create MCU!Steve's motivational loadstone.  I mean CA:TFA takes on a whole different meaning if you view it through the lens of 1940s Bucky being a closeted gay or bisexual man with a crush on his possibly ace/demi/bisexual best friend (which also adds a ton of depth and complexity to their story throughout the rest of the movies).  

So, speculation because I need the distraction:

I've decided (mainly because I don't like it) to reject all the time travel speculation and I think all the set pictures that looked like time travel are all tied to Tony's BARF machine and that somehow it will be used to trick Thanos into... something.

I think BARF is the reason Tony is vital to eventually winning against Thanos.

I think faking Steve's death is also going to be vital to winning against Thanos, but that Steve has literally been sacrificing himself for the greater good since before we even met him in CA:TFA, so that isn't his 'end game' and we'll see him* tending goats in Wakanda as an end credit scene.

I also reject the 5 year time jump speculation (because I don't like that either) and I'm going with the 5 years older Cassie being another end credit scene to set up the 'next gen heroes'.

eta: *bearded Nomad!Steve

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

Heh, yes.  Also, the fact that the MCU literally combined a canonically queer character with Bucky Barnes to create MCU!Steve's motivational loadstone.  I mean CA:TFA takes on a whole different meaning if you view it through the lens of 1940s Bucky being a closeted gay or bisexual man with a crush on his possibly ace/demi/bisexual best friend (which also adds a ton of depth and complexity to their story throughout the rest of the movies).  

Wait a minute... Bucky is LGBTQ in the comics? That's awesome. About 80% of my comics reading was X-Men related, so this fact totally slipped by me. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Wait a minute... Bucky is LGBTQ in the comics? That's awesome. About 80% of my comics reading was X-Men related, so this fact totally slipped by me. 

He's not. At least, he wasn't last I checked.

(edited)
6 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Wait a minute... Bucky is LGBTQ in the comics?

Comic!Bucky wasn't, but Arnie Roth, who was Steve's best friend and the character he grew up with in the comics (which was used for MCU Bucky's backstory with Steve) was gay.  MCU!Bucky is a combination of Comic!Bucky and Comic!Arnie.  It was a neat way to avoid the early age difference in Steve and Bucky's comic backstory.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

Comic!Bucky wasn't, but Arnie Roth, who was Steve's best friend and the character he grew up with in the comics (which was used for MCU Bucky's backstory with Steve) was gay.  

MCU young Bucky was dating girls in The First Avenger.  I guess that doesn't mean he wasn't gay though, especially in the 40s.

9 minutes ago, rmontro said:

MCU young Bucky was dating girls in The First Avenger.  I guess that doesn't mean he wasn't gay though, especially in the 40s.

Yeah, my uncle married and had two kids, but he was still beaten and jailed because he was gay in the '40s and '50s.  And Bucky seemed to be paying a lot more attention to Steve on those dates, than he was to the girls.  ;-)

• Love 3
On 7/1/2018 at 7:38 AM, Wynterwolf said:

Comic!Bucky wasn't, but Arnie Roth, who was Steve's best friend and the character he grew up with in the comics (which was used for MCU Bucky's backstory with Steve) was gay.  MCU!Bucky is a combination of Comic!Bucky and Comic!Arnie.  It was a neat way to avoid the early age difference in Steve and Bucky's comic backstory.  

Ah, that's really interesting.