Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, benteen said:

I was annoyed too when he was casted.  I enjoyed him as Johnny Storm in the Human Torch but I had seem him play pretty much the same character in another movie and I thought that was the only kind of character he was capable of playing.  It's always nice when you can be proven wrong like that.

I loved him as Johnny Storm (Chris Evans and Michael Chicklis were the only good things about Fantastic Four). I can't remember if I had seen him in Push and The Losers (another fave Chris Evans role) before learning he was going to be Captain America. However, I do remember hating the casting when it was announced. Seriously? The Johnny Storm guy as Captain America!? I don't see it!

Chris Evans, much like Karl Urban (wait, Eomer?! Eomer can't play Bones McCoy what idiot made that decision?!!) proved me wrong. Chris Evans is the perfect Steve Rogers/Captain America and, I will accept no other. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 13
(edited)
3 hours ago, Smad said:

Huh that's weird. There are just as many people thinking they love Cap too much. Just the fact that they make him way too powerful for what he is supposed to be, IMO speaks to the fact that they love Cap.

I get that criticism if they directed the Avengers movies, but they were directing the Captain America movies. Of course they're going to make him look great in his own movie! I don't know if they make him way too powerful as just showing off the full potential of skills and abilities. As seen in Civil War and Infinity War, they do that with a lot of the characters. Falcon's just a guy with a wings but they make him look so badass. I think the Russos could even make Cyclops's power interesting! They come up with imaginative things with even the most basic skill. Steve is a guy who's stronger than the average man, incredibly athletic, great at hand to hand combat, can ride a motorcycle and is incredibly skillful at throwing a big, metal frisbee. Bucky has the same abilities, except with a metal arm instead of a shield. You wouldn't think it would make for an awesome fight scene for a superhero movie but it does!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7
On 5/29/2018 at 12:20 PM, VCRTracking said:

The movie was written and directed by the same people who made the latest one where Cap calls Tony's "Earth's best defender"!  I think they love writing Tony because he is such a complex character with so many layers.  The Russo Brothers admitted they weren't big Cap fans before they made Winter Soldier because he was too "square".

But this just underscores my point. The Russos may well love writing Tony, but what they did to him in Civil War was turn him into someone who would not only side with an idiot like Thunderbolt Ross, but would make every attempt to kill a (more or less) innocent man. I can spend all day talking about Stark's ego, his daddy issues, his hard-charging habits when it comes to solving problems, which always ends up making it worse, and of course he ends up being wrong in CW too, but he's not a killer, and he only reacted the way he did because it was such an emotional situation. If Bucky can't leave the house without tripping over someone who wants to kill him, Tony's inability to do anything without something exploding or the world nearly ending is something Steve has never had to deal with since he's been Captain America instead of just Steve Rogers. Cap doesn't even make mistakes, as opposed to Tony who does nothing but make mistakes and fuck up, and then everyone gets in a line so they can take turns yelling at him. I was even surprised they had Starlord botch the plan to take the gauntlet away from Thanos, that's how bad it is. If the Russos had wanted to make Steve less 'square', they could have started by making him fallible, not write Stark as twice as bad as he really is.

• Love 3
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

But this just underscores my point. The Russos may well love writing Tony, but what they did to him in Civil War was turn him into someone who would not only side with an idiot like Thunderbolt Ross, but would make every attempt to kill a (more or less) innocent man. I can spend all day talking about Stark's ego, his daddy issues, his hard-charging habits when it comes to solving problems, which always ends up making it worse, and of course he ends up being wrong in CW too, but he's not a killer, and he only reacted the way he did because it was such an emotional situation. If Bucky can't leave the house without tripping over someone who wants to kill him, Tony's inability to do anything without something exploding or the world nearly ending is something Steve has never had to deal with since he's been Captain America instead of just Steve Rogers. Cap doesn't even make mistakes, as opposed to Tony who does nothing but make mistakes and fuck up, and then everyone gets in a line so they can take turns yelling at him. I was even surprised they had Starlord botch the plan to take the gauntlet away from Thanos, that's how bad it is. If the Russos had wanted to make Steve less 'square', they could have started by making him fallible, not write Stark as twice as bad as he really is.

Debating endlessly in the Civil War thread, I've come to accept how the way the characters were depicted is completely subjective. Tony is the antagonist in CW and came close to crossing the line but there's never a point where I don't understand why he's doing it or have sympathy for him. "Why would he side with Ross?" Did you not see the earlier part where Alfre Woodard was shoving her dead son's picture in his face? The big difference between Tony and Dr Strange is Strange could see 14 million possible futures where they all die trying to stop Thanos and not go insane while Tony wouldn't make it past seeing three without cracking up. With Steve his actions might have been noble but there are times he comes off(to me) as a bit too stubborn and self-righteous. Cap has also been criticized for willing to risk hundreds of lives just to save one person in both Civil War and Infinity War.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 9
(edited)
On 6/2/2018 at 1:18 AM, VCRTracking said:

Debating endlessly in the Civil War thread, I've come to accept how the way the characters were depicted is completely subjective. Tony is the antagonist in CW and came close to crossing the line but there's never a point where I don't understand why he's doing it or have sympathy for him. "Why would he side with Ross?" Did you not see the earlier part where Alfre Woodard was shoving her dead son's picture in his face? The big difference between Tony and Dr Strange is Strange could see 14 million possible futures where they all die trying to stop Thanos and not go insane while Tony wouldn't make it past seeing three without cracking up. With Steve his actions might have been noble but there are times he comes off(to me) as a bit too stubborn and self-righteous. Cap has also been criticized for willing to risk hundreds of lives just to save one person in both Civil War and Infinity War.

I don't care how many pictures got shoved in Tony's face, siding with a guy who is best known for wanting to enslave his best friend and use him as a weapon is just absurd.

The thing is that there was absolutely no reason for them to use Ross as the face of the Accords, other than the fact that they 1. Wanted to work with Sam Elliot. 2. Wanted to make it clear that Steve was the one who was 100% unquestionably in the right from the very beginning.

The narrative weight of everything in Civil War is centered around showing that Steve is right for rejecting gun contro-- The Accords. Because the government is evil and cannot be trusted, as exemplified by a Hulk Villain being put in charge of the Avengers.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 1
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

The thing is that there was absolutely no reason for them to use Ross as the face of the Accords, other than the fact that they 1. Wanted to work with Sam Elliot. 2. Wanted to make it clear that Steve was the one who was 100% unquestionably in the right from the very beginning.

That was William Hurt. Sam Elliot was Ross in the 2003 Hulk movie.

(Realizing the MCU now has three stars from The Big Chill)

the-big-chill-cast-lg.jpg

The narrative weight of everything in Civil War is centered around showing that Steve is right for rejecting gun contro-- The Accords. Because the government is evil and cannot be trusted, as exemplified by a Hulk Villain being put in charge of the Avengers.

The Leader is a Hulk villain. The Abomination is a Hulk villain, Ross is like an extreme version of J. Jonah Jameson. He's an antagonist there to make Bruce's life hard but he's not a "villain".

I don't care how many pictures got shoved in Tony's face, siding with a guy who is best known for wanting to enslave his best friend and use him as a weapon is just absurd.

He's taking the side of "Maybe we(really I) should be regulated because I created an AI to defend against another alien invasion who went crazy instead and almost destroyed the world." And yeah it was because Wanda showed him that vision but as Bucky says about himself, he "still did it".

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
On 6/1/2018 at 10:18 PM, VCRTracking said:

Debating endlessly in the Civil War thread, I've come to accept how the way the characters were depicted is completely subjective.

Yep, definitely agree.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

That was William Hurt. Sam Elliot was Ross in the 2003 Hulk movie.

(Realizing the MCU now has three stars from The Big Chill)

This reminds me of a game my brother and I were playing. One of us would name recognizable actors from the MCU and the other had to name the film/television/franchise they'd previously worked together in. 

Such as:

Hemsworth/Holland

Pena/Stan/Wong/Damon

Thompson/Hopkins

Anyone want to play?

No using IMDB to cheat!

Edited by anna0852
9 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

The narrative weight of everything in Civil War is centered around showing that Steve is right for rejecting gun contro-- The Accords.

Interesting comparison, but I think that ignores an important distinction since the Avengers are people (or sentient beings) and guns are inanimate objects... though Ross did try to frame it that way with his comment about "30 megaton nukes", and the power element is definitely an issue with the Avengers that are enhanced in some way.  But from an ideological standpoint,  I think a closer real-world analogy is more like the situation between the NFL and it's players:  Follow our rules that diminish your individual rights or retire.  

• Love 9
7 hours ago, anna0852 said:

This reminds me of a game my brother and I were playing. One of us would name recognizable actors from the MCU and the other had to name the film/television/franchise they'd previously worked together in. 

Such as:

Hemsworth/Holland

Pena/Stan/Wong/Damon

Thompson/Hopkins

Anyone want to play?

No using IMDB to cheat!

In the Heart of the Sea

The Martian

Don't know 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Glad you like it!

New one:

Pratt/Evans/Mackie (remember, NON MCU work)

What's Your Number?

I'm actually quite fond of that movie.

New one:

Evans, Saldana, Elba

Edited by scriggle
(edited)

The Losers

New One:

Evans, Hounsou, Stoll

Side Note: What's Your Number also includes Martin Freeman

Edited by Dee

I can't really play this game, I see so few movies anymore. I haven't heard of any of these but The Martian. It's interesting though. I can only think of one and it's an old one.

RDJ/James Spader.

(edited)

Kevin Feige Talks Marvel’s Success, Female Directors, ‘Infinity War II’ & How He’s “Bad With Numbers”

Marvel Studios president and producer Kevin Feige was one of the definite highlights at this morning’s 10th annual PGA Produced By Conference, and while he didn’t divulge details on whether Thanos truly wins in Avengers: Infinity War II, he said, “We’re working on the next five years (at Marvel), post-Avengers and what that looks like.” Also, he said that Ant-Man and the Wasp is finished and that post on Infinity War II is already underway.

In a conversation with Deadline’s Awards Editor Pete Hammond, Feige looked back on his career, his rise from USC film student to production assistant at Shuler Donner Productions, to being the town’s preeminent box office hit-meister with 19 pics that have opened at No. 1 and amassed $16 billion at the global box office.

Not just Feige, but the town — and the motion picture business — have come a long way in their attitudes toward comic book movie adaptations. Feige remembered a time during his younger days in the biz when “big decision makers at the studios prided themselves on not opening up a comic book, and not reading them, which I think was a mistake.”

Here’s what Feige had to say about how Marvel ticks, and the waves it has made.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, starri said:

Disney released a series of about twenty posters called More Than a Hero for the MCU's anniversary.  They're all really great (and they ones you won't expect, like Nakia, Heimdall, and Wong).  But I think this was my favorite.

poster_gold_korg.jpg 

I liked "More than a Trash Panda" and "More than a Trickster," but I'm really curious about what "I am a Groot" translates to.

Though I kind of wish "a friend of Doug's" had a double meaning because Korg is gay in the Planet Hulk comic.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Nebula's, Gamora's

Yeah, "More Than a Machine" and "More Than a Weapon" do go right to the feels.

58 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Though I kind of wish "a friend of Doug's" had a double meaning because Korg is gay in the Planet Hulk comic.

I wonder if it is perhaps meant to.

• Love 1
(edited)

Dear Thor:

I wanted to let you know that your dear friend Rabbit a/k/a Rocket the Raccoon did successfully climb the 22 story skyscraper in Minneapolis.

Raccoon-scaling-skyscraper-cover-e152889

However, when Rocket reached the top he was apprehended by the authorities.

raccoon1.jpg

Please send help.

Thank you.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 23
54 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

Dear Thor:

I wanted to let you know that your dear friend Rabbit a/k/a Rocket the Raccoon did successfully climb the 22 story skyscraper in Minneapolis.

Raccoon-scaling-skyscraper-cover-e152889

However, when Rocket reached the top he was apprehended by the authorities.

raccoon1.jpg

Please send help.

Thank you.

????????

• Love 6

I have often wondered why Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel are not more involved with the Marvel press frenzy. I understand that it may not be in their contracts, but Rocket and Groot are such fan favorites that I would see this as positive press for them.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I have often wondered why Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel are not more involved with the Marvel press frenzy. I understand that it may not be in their contracts, but Rocket and Groot are such fan favorites that I would see this as positive press for them.

Vin Diesel wants to be. I wish I knew how to post pictures. Diesel was dressed as Groot for the Infinity War red carpet. He's very into it.

https://www.etonline.com/vin-diesel-dressed-as-groot-at-avengers-infinity-war-premiere-see-the-pics-101026%3f

For the longest time, Diesel was lobbying to play Blackbolt when Marvel was still planning on an Inhumans movie franchise.

Diesel is a big time comic, gamer, D&D nerd.

Cooper, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be as into it.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Vin Diesel wants to be. I wish I knew how to post pictures. Diesel was dressed as Groot for the Infinity War red carpet. He's very into it.

https://www.etonline.com/vin-diesel-dressed-as-groot-at-avengers-infinity-war-premiere-see-the-pics-101026%3f

For the longest time, Diesel was lobbying to play Blackbolt when Marvel was still planning on an Inhumans movie franchise.

Diesel is a big time comic, gamer, D&D nerd.

Cooper, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be as into it.

Thanks @HunterHunted. I know when the first GotG came out, Cooper and Diesel were a bigger part of the press machine.

(edited)

I am demanding that they find a way for a crossover with the Netflix shows in Avengers 4 or Jessica Jones Season 3 just so I can see this scene.

eqkse9rt2qxh8uddxkp6.Jpg

Or this one.

thanos-spidey.jpg

Edited by starri
5 hours ago, starri said:

I am demanding that they find a way for a crossover with the Netflix shows in Avengers 4 or Jessica Jones Season 3 just so I can see this scene.

eqkse9rt2qxh8uddxkp6.Jpg

Or this one.

thanos-spidey.jpg

Trish is literally the only thing that would get Jessica off of her ass. I can see Jessica day drinking through the snapture without blinking an eye. But Trish being in danger while fighting Thanos on the Thanos-copter, would motivate Jessica to do something.

• Love 3
On 14/06/2018 at 3:33 PM, HunterHunted said:

Wow hee dodged a huge bullet there.

Also the fact that Thanos has own labelled helicopter is hilarious.

• Love 2
On 6/17/2018 at 5:22 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

Wow hee dodged a huge bullet there.

Also the fact that Thanos has own labelled helicopter is hilarious.

"Wow, that's a nice helicopter, I wonder who it belongs t--- oh, never mind."

• Love 4

Just watched Iron Man 2 again on FX, and I just do not understand why people do not like this movie.  I think it's fantastic, they introduce the Black Widow and War Machine, the briefcase armor is cool, and it's worth it just for Justin Hammer's dancing alone.  They even have the nerve to touch on Tony's drinking problem.  Some think Whiplash is a weak villain but he's better than Stane in the first movie, and better than Killian in 3 (IMO).  Mandarin might have been better, but well, you know.  Very underrated flick IMO.

• Love 4