Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
vb68

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

Recommended Posts


Oh my God, I try so hard not to end up bashing Batman V Superman whenever I talk about the MCU, but that stupid freaking "MARTHA?!!?!"line is just indicative of all the flaws in the entire franchise in one stupid sequence. Its clearly supposed to be this big dramatic moment between these two characters, but its just totally nonsensical. "MARTHA?!?! I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANOTHER WOMAN WITH MY MOMS NAME!!!! I AM NOW CURED OF MY SPACE RACISM OR SOMETHING" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Yep, still annoyed.

23559435_1697132090310562_11210042531393

Well Groot didn't really survive, since according to James Gunn Baby Groot is essentially a different character who doesn't share original Groot's experiences and memories.

8 hours ago, Vera said:

Nope!

Steve wasn't Nomad for very long though, just a few issues. At the end of it, he decides he can be Cap without supporting the government.

Is that when US Agent showed up and became the government approved Cap? The only comics I ever read with that guy was when he had already become the agent and the real Cap was back.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Is that when US Agent showed up and became the government approved Cap? The only comics I ever read with that guy was when he had already become the agent and the real Cap was back.

Well, I know at least part of it was during the time that Cap was going around calling himself 'The Captain' -- nice undercover work there, Steve -- and was trying to get his Captain America title back but I don't know if it was the same thing as Cap doing the Nomad thing for four issues, tripping on his cape and then just deciding he could be Captain America without the governments approval. Also, when US Agent WAS Captain America, they got him a new Bucky as well. At some point, he also had two buddies called Left-Winger and Right-Winger. I think the only time I ever read anything with the guy was when I took a brief foray into Force Works.

Marvel government is, I think, definitely weirder than real life government... which is saying something.

Share this post


Link to post

10 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Well, I know at least part of it was during the time that Cap was going around calling himself 'The Captain' -- nice undercover work there, Steve -- and was trying to get his Captain America title back but I don't know if it was the same thing as Cap doing the Nomad thing for four issues, tripping on his cape and then just deciding he could be Captain America without the governments approval.

Interesting... seems like MCU Steve will be sort of in a hybrid situation of those two things... getting to a place where he wants the shield/title back, and then making nice with Tony & the US Govt to get it back after breaking people out of jail, being classified an enemy of the state, and being a wanted fugitive.  

Edited by Wynterwolf

Share this post


Link to post

Since Steve's next appearance is in Infinity Wars, I'm guessing a planetary threat like Thanos is going to make a few felony jailbreaks pale in comparison.  But we'll see.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ChelseaNH said:

Since Steve's next appearance is in Infinity Wars, I'm guessing a planetary threat like Thanos is going to make a few felony jailbreaks pale in comparison.  But we'll see.

I still want Steve, Sam, Natasha, Clint, Wanda, et al to tell everyone that they can't defend the planet from Thanos because they don't want to be thrown in jail. It would be breaking the law, doncha know, so sorry, half the Avengers and the world, you're on your own! It's not any of their styles so we won't see it, but it would be soooooo satisfying.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ChelseaNH said:

Since Steve's next appearance is in Infinity Wars, I'm guessing a planetary threat like Thanos is going to make a few felony jailbreaks pale in comparison.  But we'll see.

Yeah, and I have a feeling ERoss is going to become a genuine ally after Black Panther, but we still have the Accords to deal with.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Yeah, and I have a feeling ERoss is going to become a genuine ally after Black Panther, but we still have the Accords to deal with.  

Having an actual bureaucrat on the side of the heroes I think would be extremely helpful in dealing with the Accords. Also, having Wakanda's weight behind it would also mean a lot. T'Challa gave sanctuary to Bucky and Steve for sure. Once Steve broke the others out of the Raft, he probably extended that invitation to them. Wakanda was a big driving force behind the Sokovia Accords. Also, General Ross' poster boy for 'accountability' is hanging out in New York doing whatever the fuck he wants anyway. Tony felt guilty for about a week and Pepper left him and he lost it. He got Pepper back and now seems to be on a more even keel again. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Dandesun said:

Also, having Wakanda's weight behind it would also mean a lot.

Yes, and I think T'Challa is in a unique position to be able to articulate both sides of the argument and find something workable, or at least get it to the point where something workable is on the table, even if it's not ratified... then Thanos shows up, and suddenly it seems like a REALLY good idea to get TeamCap back on the playing field, but at that point they have a genuine choice, without having to give up who they are (which the Accords as previously presented, made them do with either decision) in the process.  So I wonder if that might even be another part of the Black Panther storyline, dealing with that with Ross might be another ball he's having to juggle along with the internal conflicts he'll be dealing with as the new King.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

I still want Steve, Sam, Natasha, Clint, Wanda, et al to tell everyone that they can't defend the planet from Thanos because they don't want to be thrown in jail. It would be breaking the law, doncha know, so sorry, half the Avengers and the world, you're on your own! It's not any of their styles so we won't see it, but it would be soooooo satisfying.

Except we've already well-established that Tony was wrong and Steve was right. I'm about as tired of watching Stark get his nose rubbed in whoever's pile of shit as I am of Steve's manpain because Bucky can't take five steps without someone kidnapping him or trying to kill him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

I still want Steve, Sam, Natasha, Clint, Wanda, et al to tell everyone that they can't defend the planet from Thanos because they don't want to be thrown in jail. It would be breaking the law, doncha know, so sorry, half the Avengers and the world, you're on your own! It's not any of their styles so we won't see it, but it would be soooooo satisfying.

I’m okay with this. 

 

Tony, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel Plus the Guardians are all more than capable of taking on Thanos. 

Tecnically Hulk, Captain Marvel, and Thor would be more than enough to handle Thanos(they should be). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Jazzy24 said:

Tony, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel Plus the Guardians are all more than capable of taking on Thanos. 

Thanos, yes (maybe?), but there'll also be the Black Order to deal with.  They (probably) can't be two (or possibly more) places at once.  

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I still want Steve, Sam, Natasha, Clint, Wanda, et al to tell everyone that they can't defend the planet from Thanos because they don't want to be thrown in jail. It would be breaking the law, doncha know, so sorry, half the Avengers and the world, you're on your own! It's not any of their styles so we won't see it, but it would be soooooo satisfying.

Ross: "Okay, we really need you guys, you're pardoned."

*Tony leans over and whispers something*

Ross: "Not you Clint, you're useless and under arrest."

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Stills from the IW trailer are starting to leak.  Seems to be mostly the same as the D23/ComicCon trailer, but the shot with Nat, Sam and Steve might be new.

 
Maybe we'll get the full thing for Thanksgiving????
Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if they could release it the same day Justice league comes out in theaters? I dont think they will, but if they do, that would be the most savage move in the Marvel vs. DC thing yet. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I wonder if they could release it the same day Justice league comes out in theaters? I dont think they will, but if they do, that would be the most savage move in the Marvel vs. DC thing yet. 

I hope not. That just seems petty, and I don't like pettiness.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Joe said:

I hope not. That just seems petty, and I don't like pettiness.

The nice thing is that the people at DC and Marvel usually work really hard to keep the emphasis on the first part of "friendly rivalry."

I wish their respective fanboys would take a page from the employees that invite each other to their movie premieres and play softball together.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, starri said:

The nice thing is that the people at DC and Marvel usually work really hard to keep the emphasis on the first part of "friendly rivalry."

I wish their respective fanboys would take a page from the employees that invite each other to their movie premieres and play softball together.

On the creative level, nearly all the comics people have worked for both companies and have good friends on the other side. But at the top, it seems to get a whole lot less friendly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, starri said:

The nice thing is that the people at DC and Marvel usually work really hard to keep the emphasis on the first part of "friendly rivalry."

 

Yeah, I do appreciate that they try to keep things friendly, or at least civil, and it seems like most of the actors/writers/directors really like and respect each other. Granted, there are some times things dont look as friendly (such as the Fuck Marvel debacle), but it seems like most people want to keep things happy. Its mostly the fans who get hostile. 

Which I never get. I love the MCU, and I want to love the DCCU, its not my fault the majority of their movies so far, in my humble opinion, totally sucked. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

**whines**  Why couldn't it have been for Thanksgiving?  And "early" probably just means with SW:TLJ's release, as I'd previously assumed.  Was still hoping it might be at least a LITTLE earlier, but now it genuinely is "soon".    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, starri said:

The nice thing is that the people at DC and Marvel usually work really hard to keep the emphasis on the first part of "friendly rivalry."

For the most part yes, except for the time DC tried to release Batman V Supeman on the same day as Civil War and Marvel refused to move their movie and they played a huge game of chicken.

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

For the most part yes, except for the time DC tried to release Batman V Supeman on the same day as Civil War and Marvel refused to move their movie and they played a huge game of chicken.

Was that the comics community or the movie community game?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Is Thor Eponine? I love that Stark is Javert and Captain America as Enjolras makes sense but, is still sad.

I think that's Fantine. I don't remember Eponine wearing something like that. (And if the poster was from the Hugh Jackman one, I think Anne Hathaway would be featured, not Samantha Barks.)

That poster made me actually laugh out loud. That's awesome.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

I think that's Fantine. I don't remember Eponine wearing something like that. (And if the poster was from the Hugh Jackman one, I think Anne Hathaway would be featured, not Samantha Barks.)

That poster made me actually laugh out loud. That's awesome.

Ah, yeah that makes sense that it would be Fantine.

Share this post


Link to post

I am excited for this! I wonder if this is supposed to take place before or after IW.  I have purposely not read too much about this, but they only mention the aftermath of CW here.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I would imagine it probably takes place after infinity War. It'd be very hard to release Infinity war and then bring out another movie that supposedly happened beforehand without it being very clearly a different era. I would imagine also that Paul Rudd was under a massive embargo not to breathe a word of Infinity Wars while doing this press.

Share this post


Link to post

It will be interesting to see... S:HC spanned over a few previous movies, and Captain Marvel is going back in time, so they do seem to be playing a little fast and loose with the time line.  They keep promising to release an official chronological timeline, but I don't think they've done that yet.  This could start right after CW and then have some internal time jumps, similar to how S:HC and the first Cap movie did. 

Share this post


Link to post

51 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I would imagine it probably takes place after infinity War. It'd be very hard to release Infinity war and then bring out another movie that supposedly happened beforehand without it being very clearly a different era. I would imagine also that Paul Rudd was under a massive embargo not to breathe a word of Infinity Wars while doing this press.

I’m pretty sure that this takes place before Infinity War, 99% though I could be wrong. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

If it helps, I can tell you it's not huuuge spoilers... just the gifs/short clips (I think the longest one is 9 seconds) around those stills that were 'leaked' a few days ago.  Mainly it just offers veracity that those stills were indeed from IW.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Everyone looks GREAT but the composition of all of those covers is awful! I’m no less hyped though!

 

AHHHHHHH my 12 year old self can’t HANDLE THIS!!! I still can’t believe this is all real despite 17 movies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Who is the lady Maria Hill is leaning against? Is it Peggy/Hayley Atwell?

Holy Shit Bucky Barnes is looking HAWT! Damn!

For the covers, War Machine's new outfit reminds me of the Mass Effect Suits.

Aww, Chris Evans finally got his Stealth Suit back, its his favorite (mine too).

I don't like Blond Black Widow 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size