Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I guess I don't feel like they've spent any time building the Young Avengers. They've introduced (or will introduce)  Young Avengers Characters on D+ but, have made no attempt to connect them, IMO or really build a team. 

That could change, I'm sure we might see some connection at the end of Hawkeye (or kne of the 2022 movies) but, what I'm seeing right now is MCU building a new Avengers Team and a Secret Defenders team but, I've yet to see them do anything to build a Young Avengers Team.

How long does it take to build them into a team? The Avengers were built in a single movie. Adequately introducing them as characters is way more time consuming and they all have projects set to do that. Nearly every project in the works involves or potentially involves a Young Avenger. 

29 minutes ago, Dani said:

How long does it take to build them into a team? The Avengers were built in a single movie. Adequately introducing them as characters is way more time consuming and they all have projects set to do that. Nearly every project in the works involves or potentially involves a Young Avenger. 

And yet they haven't done anything in the movies or D+ to build a Team. MCU has been pretty consistent in how they build up to a team movie. What I am seeing is that a New Avengers Team and Secret Defender team have been given the same setup that The Avengers got in Phase (basically cut scenes showing the connection).  

Can Young Justice happen? Sure. Can it happen as a movie? Absolutely. Have they done anything to set it up yet? No (IMO). Can that change tomorrow? Absolutely.

Includes friendship scenes from many of the MCU movies and streaming series...

The Very Best of Friends in the MCU | Disney+
Disney Plus   Sep 13, 2021

Grab your friends and loved ones for your favorite Marvel best friends moments. We are Disney+! All of our memorable BFF reunions and more are now streaming on #DisneyPlus. Presented by The LEGO® Group.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

And yet they haven't done anything in the movies or D+ to build a Team. MCU has been pretty consistent in how they build up to a team movie. What I am seeing is that a New Avengers Team and Secret Defender team have been given the same setup that The Avengers got in Phase (basically cut scenes showing the connection).  

By spending all the time setting it up I meant developing projects to introduce all the characters. It is unique in that Marvel made it very clear they were moving in this direction long before they will start to build the team onscreen. They are choosing to introduce all of them (except Cassie) onscreen within a pretty short period of time. 

My feeling is that they wouldn’t bring them all in this quickly if they weren’t building to a movie. The biggest on-screen setup is the decision to age up Cassie. I just can’t see them sitting on the concept much longer now that she’s the right age. Personally, I like that are introducing them in a more subtle way where we see their origin stories within other shows and movies.

6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The MCU Avengers (and seemingly the Thunderbolts) were assembled piece-by-piece by a government operative.

The Young Avengers aren't like that, there's nothing to show in post-credits scenes. If they're doing something akin to their origin arc (though without "Avengers Disassembled" that would have to be significantly different) then them being brought together is the story there.

I don’t know much about Young Avengers (I stopped reading comics about a decade prior)- but to me it feels like Marvel is being… judicious(?) in how they use the characters.  Could they be building to a team up project?  Sure- but so far they’ve been utilizing these kids almost entirely to supplement the stories of existing heroes.  And, it’s possible that may be the extent of what they have for them.

Cassie and Eli are, to date, just relatives.  Maybe Quantumania and CA4 will put them on paths to herodom, but who knows.  Kid Loki is a variant last seen stuck in a literal pile of discarded ideas.  The versions of Speed and Wiccan that we got had superpowers- but they were also, well, imaginary.  It’s entirely possible that they could be brought back at some point- but for now they’re unavailable at best.

Realistically the only YA member who seems to be on the heroic path right now is Kate, but all we know about her is what we got from the trailer.  We’ll have to see how her story unfolds in a few months.

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I really hope we get Young Avengers soon, but I would prefer it as a series, not movie.

That would work for me. Mostly because based on what we have seen of possible Young Avengers characters so far they don't really interest me that much. Plus if we are going to have a big deal team up movie every few years I want the characters in it to be heavy hitters.

• Love 3

This promo includes comments by Kevin Feige, Tara Bennett (author) and Paul Terry (author)...

The Story of Marvel Studios
Marvel Entertainment   Sep 14, 2021

The Story of Marvel Studios is the first-ever, fully authorized, all-access history of Marvel Studios’ creation of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as told by the producers, writers, directors, concept artists, VFX artists, cast, and crew who brought it to life. This definitive story is available wherever books are sold on October 19, 2021. Pre-order your copy here: https://bit.ly/3k9zHYm

Edited by tv echo

FWIW...

A Live-Action Marvel Zombies Project May Be in Development
BY JON ARVEDON    September 14, 2021
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-zombies-mark-millar-live-action-plans/ 

Marvel Zombies recently found new undead life thanks to Marvel Studios' Disney+ series What If...? According to Mark Millar, however, a live-action project may also be in the works.

In Millar's newsletter, the writer discussed Marvel Zombies on the heels of the latest What If...? episode, footnoting an anecdote about the original story by writing, "(if my sources are correct) a little live-action Marvel Zombies further down the line, but you never heard that from me."

Edited by tv echo

I can't get in to What If... and I'm not sure why.  I'd say that I'm on Marvel overload as a new fan who only just binge-watched everything during the pandemic, but I don't think that's it.  Black Widow was great, and a friend and I are desperately trying to coordinate schedules to see Shang Chi.  I also think the trailers for Eternals and Hawkeye look ah-MAY-zing!  But Loki and What If... just aren't doing anything for me.  Hmm...  I've never loved the "animation for adults" genre in general, and I think that might be where I'm stuck.  

• Love 2
On 9/14/2021 at 12:59 AM, Chyromaniac said:

I don’t know much about Young Avengers (I stopped reading comics about a decade prior)- but to me it feels like Marvel is being… judicious(?) in how they use the characters.  Could they be building to a team up project?  Sure- but so far they’ve been utilizing these kids almost entirely to supplement the stories of existing heroes.  And, it’s possible that may be the extent of what they have for them.

Basically every single Marvel project has an active Young Avengers tie-in at this point.  I really see no basis at all to think that they aren't building up to that; it's every bit as apparent as the setup for some version of the Thunderbolts.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That would work for me. Mostly because based on what we have seen of possible Young Avengers characters so far they don't really interest me that much. Plus if we are going to have a big deal team up movie every few years I want the characters in it to be heavy hitters.

At this point we are looking at a minor team up ever other movie. I don’t think a Young Avengers movie means we won’t also get the buildup to epic Avenger movies every few years. 

It seems like we are seeing Marvel move into more genre specific superhero movies that appeal to different subsets than makes up their base. A Young Avengers movie is a good way to bring in a younger, more female and more progressive group than they would get traditionally. 

8 minutes ago, Dani said:

At this point we are looking at a minor team up ever other movie. I don’t think a Young Avengers movie means we won’t also get the buildup to epic Avenger movies every few years. 

It seems like we are seeing Marvel move into more genre specific superhero movies that appeal to different subsets than makes up their base. A Young Avengers movie is a good way to bring in a younger, more female and more progressive group than they would get traditionally. 

A teenaged super hero team sounds so lame. One thing that Nolan did smartly in his Dark Knight movies was not have a boy wonder fighting with Batman.

And if they are just people in like their early 20's why separate it from a regular Avengers team. Especially since we have already had people in their 20's in The Avengers (BW, Wanda and essentially Cap). Like if Thor came to help them with something would they be like sorry Thor you are too old for this mission. 

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I can't get in to What If... and I'm not sure why.  I'd say that I'm on Marvel overload as a new fan who only just binge-watched everything during the pandemic, but I don't think that's it.  Black Widow was great, and a friend and I are desperately trying to coordinate schedules to see Shang Chi.  I also think the trailers for Eternals and Hawkeye look ah-MAY-zing!  But Loki and What If... just aren't doing anything for me.  Hmm...  I've never loved the "animation for adults" genre in general, and I think that might be where I'm stuck.  

I’m not really enjoying it either, and I was looking forward to it.  I think it’s just not what I expected.  I was expecting alternate universes but I wasn’t quite expecting them to be so dark and hopeless. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I’m not really enjoying it either, and I was looking forward to it.  I think it’s just not what I expected.  I was expecting alternate universes but I wasn’t quite expecting them to be so dark and hopeless. 

I feel like that's not too far from what the comic series actually was. I only got an issue here and there when the idea appealed to me but I don't remember a lot of them turning out well.

With this series, we've got the first episode which is a retread of Cap's origin movie but Bucky didn't fall and become the Winter Soldier and Steve got to be the little man in the big suit. Then the second episode we have T'Challa being the Best Starlord Ever and even talking Thanos out of his bullshit plan.

And everything since then has been death murder murderdeath and misery. What the hell, guys, can't you even give me Planet Hulk Steve/Bucky reuniting and riding off into the sunset together on their giant red dinosaur?! IT'S WHAT I WANT!!

• LOL 4
27 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

And everything since then has been death murder murderdeath and misery.

Yep pretty much.  😕  I hadn’t read the comics, so I just thought “alternate universes! Fun!”  Yeah not so much.  

I liked the idea of Captain Carter but too much of it was a retread of CA:TFA.   The T’Challa as Starlord episode has been the only one so far that I genuinely enjoyed (even with that “uh oh” ending).   But yeah, everything since then has been a major downer.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

A teenaged super hero team sounds so lame. One thing that Nolan did smartly in his Dark Knight movies was not have a boy wonder fighting with Batman.

The MCU is fun superheroics, though, teen heroes are very much tonally appropriate (indeed, we've already got Spider-Man).

• Love 2

I’m glad I’m not the only one not really loving What If…? Star Lord T’Challa was the one good, fun episode for me. All the other ones sucked, and not just because it’s been so dark. It’s because other than Captain Peggy “Corporate Feminism” Carter, all the other female characters features have been fridged or sidelined; they’re lucky if they get even one cool moment. The zombie episode was especially egregious, and what makes me madder is how the writers revealed in and interview that they originally wanted to kill off Sharon Carter by having Zombie Cap bite her lips off, and one (male) writer laughed about it saying “oh nobody likes her, Steve belongs with Peggy.” *rage stroke*

So the whole overhyping of Captain Peggy feels hollow when they’re going to treat the rest of their female characters like that.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, SeanC said:

The MCU is fun superheroics, though, teen heroes are very much tonally appropriate (indeed, we've already got Spider-Man).

The only way I could see to make it fun is to rip off teen titans go a lot. Like every villain is surprised/disappointed they are fighting the B-team avengers made up of a bunch of kids rather than the real Avengers. And/or 90% of the movie is them just hanging out in their base, arguing and doing crazy shit. 

Otherwise I worry it will be too much teen drama and kids being put in dangerous situations that they don't really need to be in.

As for Spidey I think a large percentage of why he works for me when other teen heroes don't is just nostalgia. Because I am glad they kept him in him in highschool, but alternatively imagine what it would have been like if Bucky was like 14 in First Avenger.

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The only way I could see to make it fun is to rip off teen titans go a lot. Like every villain is surprised/disappointed they are fighting the B-team avengers made up of a bunch of kids rather than the real Avengers. And/or 90% of the movie is them just hanging out in their base, arguing and doing crazy shit. 

Otherwise I worry it will be too much teen drama and kids being put in dangerous situations that they don't really need to be in.

As for Spidey I think a large percentage of why he works for me when other teen heroes don't is just nostalgia. Because I am glad they kept him in him in highschool, but alternatively imagine what it would have been like if Bucky was like 14 in First Avenger.

I don't remember how old they were all supposed to be at the beginning, but I don't see a problem if they all are around 18-24, so not really children. They don't have the word "teen" in their name, so no problem there with a bit of aging up.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I still haven’t watched the zombie episode. I just… no. I really fucking hate zombies.

Normally I agree, but this was only a half hour and it was  animated, so I was able to enjoy it for what it was. Live action is a little too real, so I don't think I would enjoy even one half hour episode. And a movie or series would be a hard pass.

Regarding the general What If stories, it's been years since I've read them but generally they either prove that the main universe is the best one or they show that everything happens in the same basic manner with one change.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't remember how old they were all supposed to be at the beginning, but I don't see a problem if they all are around 18-24, so not really children. They don't have the word "teen" in their name, so no problem there with a bit of aging up.

But why couldn't someone in their mid 20's be an actual Avenger? Natasha was 26 in Avengers and she doesn't even have any powers. Being on a separate team makes it sound like a lower quality minor league team. 

14 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

But why couldn't someone in their mid 20's be an actual Avenger? Natasha was 26 in Avengers and she doesn't even have any powers. Being on a separate team makes it sound like a lower quality minor league team. 

They form their own team, they’re not something set up by others.

7 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

One great thing about movies is that they don’t have to appeal to everyone. What one person finds lame others will often love. Captain Marvel is the perfect example. A large portion of the Marvel fan base think it’s just okay at best and then there are many others who really connected with it. 

You don’t see the appeal in Young Avengers but there are other people who it will love it. Those people should get to have superhero movies that appeal to them. 

Edited by Guest
11 hours ago, SeanC said:

Basically every single Marvel project has an active Young Avengers tie-in at this point.  I really see no basis at all to think that they aren't building up to that; it's every bit as apparent as the setup for some version of the Thunderbolts.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m honestly curious as to what tie-ins you’re referring to.  Obviously Kate Bishop will be in Hawkeye.  And, they’ve  cast yet another Cassie Lang for Quantumania - but it remains to be seen what kind of role it will be.  I feel like it’s equally likely at this point whether she suits up or not.  Otherwise I don’t know of any other planned YA character appearances coming up.

And as for the ones that they have already used - to be honest, it kind of feels like they’ve done everything that they’ve cared to do with them.  Maybe Eli will be back in something - possibly Cap 4?  But until that happens, it seems more like he was just a fun Easter egg that they got to put in FaWS because they were doing Isaiah’s story.  And, as I mentioned in my previous post, the other YA members they’ve used are, charitably, indisposed at the moment.  Granted these are comic book characters, and they can always concoct some way to bring them back.  But for now it just feels like they just wanted Kid Loki to be one of the trash heap variants, and the twins to be part of Wanda’s imaginary sitcom family.

it’s entirely possible that Marvel has some kind of plans for a new Avengers team featuring younger characters.  However, based on what they’ve done so far, I’d be surprised if it turns out to be Young Avengers specifically.

1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m honestly curious as to what tie-ins you’re referring to.  Obviously Kate Bishop will be in Hawkeye.  And, they’ve  cast yet another Cassie Lang for Quantumania - but it remains to be seen what kind of role it will be.  I feel like it’s equally likely at this point whether she suits up or not.  Otherwise I don’t know of any other planned YA character appearances coming up.

America Chavez is being introduced in Multiverse of Madness. Hulking is the only one completely missing.

They’ve been dropping hints for Cassie to become Stature since Ant-Man. I would be shocked if it doesn’t happen in Quantumania. 

It’s not just the comic Young Avengers characters that make many think they will be introduced but the number of younger heroes overall. The MCU has never stuck with the comic accurate lineups. Characters like Riri Williams and Kamala Khan could easily be part of a YA line-up. 

1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:

And as for the ones that they have already used - to be honest, it kind of feels like they’ve done everything that they’ve cared to do with them.

I have the complete opposite feeling. With them aging up Cassie and introducing Kate and America it feels like a now or never situation. I really hope they’re not introduced all three female Young Avengers and wasting the opportunity. Time will tell. 

Edited by Guest
7 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

But for now it just feels like they just wanted Kid Loki to be one of the trash heap variants, and the twins to be part of Wanda’s imaginary sitcom family.

Why does it feel like that? WandaVision ends with an explicit tease that we'll see more of the kids.

In addition to what's noted above, Kang is appearing in Quantumania, and the only tie he really has to the Ant-Man mythos is his relationship with Cassie Lang, which was part of the Young Avengers origin.

They have introduced, at this point, every member of the original lineup other than Hulkling (and the second Vision, but given the differences between the MCU and the comics I expect we aren't getting him). I'm sorry, but that's not coincidental, it just isn't.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Dani said:

America Chavez is being introduced in Multiverse of Madness. Hulking is the only one completely missing.

They’ve been dropping hints for Cassie to become Stature since Ant-Man. I would be shocked if it doesn’t happen in Quantumania. 

Thanks for the info on AC.  I will have to watch the Ant-Man films again, because I don’t remember any Cassie hints. She’s just been Scott’s daughter as far as I can tell, but maybe I didn’t notice.

2 hours ago, SeanC said:

Why does it feel like that? WandaVision ends with an explicit tease that we'll see more of the kids.

WV ends with Wanda embracing her role as Scarlet Witch- what she wants to do with that power is, to me, left pretty ambiguous.  Unless… they haven’t redone that scene again have they?  Is there now a “to do: bring back kids” note on her fridge in the cabin? 🙂 Kidding aside - as with all of this, I guess we’ll find out her motives eventually.

8 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s not just the comic Young Avengers characters that make many think they will be introduced but the number of younger heroes overall. The MCU has never stuck with the comic accurate lineups. Characters like Riri Williams and Kamala Khan could easily be part of a YA line-up. 

To be fair, this is part of what I have been saying - some amalgamation of a “younger” Avengers group seems probable.   I just don’t think Young Avengers (in the format that it seems like people are expecting) is likely.  Again, if they do bring back Eli, KL, and the twins, that’s something else- but until then, I feel like they’ve gotten their use from those 4.

At the very least I feel like they are keeping their options open, and not committing to one specific grouping.  As you say, they will potentially soon have the three female YA members, plus Kamala.  They also have She-Hulk on the way- maybe this is all leading to A-Force.  Besides those characters, they already have Carol, Wanda, Monica, Lady Loki, Pepper, and even Sharon.  I think they could easily work, say, Riri and/or Yelena into that concept as well.

Am I saying that they must be building towards A-Force?  No - but given the circumstances it seems just as likely as anything else. With Disney/Marvel/Feige, everything is possible, and nothing is confirmed (until they say so).

Edited by Chyromaniac

At the end of this interview (which was mostly about Tony Leung), KF was asked about criticism that the rise of the superhero/comic book movies has eroded the foundation of the traditional movie star (because what matters is the character and not the actor playing him or her) - here's his response...

Kevin Feige: "I don't know that it's eroded the movie star. I've always said that when we find... a great actor to embody a great character, it is that chemistry that both makes the character very popular and turns the actor into a movie star. Um, so I do think they go... hand in hand. And you look at the great work that people like Chris Hemsworth or Tom Hiddleston - Robert Downey Jr. was doing great work beforehand - have done, certainly with us, but even as they go out into the world on other... projects. Um, so I do think... they go hand in hand."

Kevin Feige Interview With Anupama Chopra | Shang-Chi | Film Companion
Film Companion   Aug 30, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

WV ends with Wanda embracing her role as Scarlet Witch- what she wants to do with that power is, to me, left pretty ambiguous.  Unless… they haven’t redone that scene again have they?  Is there now a “to do: bring back kids” note on her fridge in the cabin?

That scene also ended with Wanda hearing Tommy and Billy's voices begging for their mom to help them. They're definitely coming back. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Thanks for the info on AC.  I will have to watch the Ant-Man films again, because I don’t remember any Cassie hints. She’s just been Scott’s daughter as far as I can tell, but maybe I didn’t notice.

Each movie has lines about Cassie being Scott’s partner and growing up to be a hero very much in line with how Monica was handled in Captain Marvel. Also Feige has said that they were deliberately planting seeds for Young Avengers with Ant-Man. 

WV ends with Wanda embracing her role as Scarlet Witch- what she wants to do with that power is, to me, left pretty ambiguous.  Unless… they haven’t redone that scene again have they?  Is there now a “to do: bring back kids” note on her fridge in the cabin? 🙂 Kidding aside - as with all of this, I guess we’ll find out her motives eventually.

As @calliope1975 said you here the kids calling out to Wanda for help. They’re part of the story isn’t over. Given how they aged in WV them being kids isn’t a barrier at all. 

To be fair, this is part of what I have been saying - some amalgamation of a “younger” Avengers group seems probable.   I just don’t think Young Avengers (in the format that it seems like people are expecting) is likely.

Are you sure you’re not making assumptions about what format people are expecting? I am expecting some combination of younger, more inexperienced heroes that is mostly made up of Young Avengers characters with maybe a few Champions throw in. A team that will officially or unofficially be called the Young Avengers because it’s a name that doesn’t require explanation for non-comic fans. 

As you say, they will potentially soon have the three female YA members, plus Kamala.  They also have She-Hulk on the way- maybe this is all leading to A-Force.  Besides those characters, they already have Carol, Wanda, Monica, Lady Loki, Pepper, and even Sharon.  I think they could easily work, say, Riri and/or Yelena into that concept as well.

Why not both? A-Force has a lot of benefits in bringing in new viewers so I would not be surprised if it happens. There is some overlap but Young Avengers appeals to a different demographic that Marvel clearly wants. 

Edited by Guest

I think the young Avengers are a save bet. I mean, they basically collected most of them at this point. The question is more, which way they intend to go with them. They basically have three options: A show, a streaming movie or a movie. I guess if they go for stream, a series is more likely. But I wouldn't be surprised about a movie either. It has never been done, well, unless you count different generations of Star Trek meeting each other in a movie. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, SeanC said:

In addition to what's noted above, Kang is appearing in Quantumania, and the only tie he really has to the Ant-Man mythos is his relationship with Cassie Lang, which was part of the Young Avengers origin.

Which Kang, though? They never explicitly stated it, but He Who Remains in Loki's show was heavily speculated as being Kang the Conqueror. Unless there's an entirely different character with that name, which is totally possible since I just barely know the comics.

16 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Which Kang, though? They never explicitly stated it, but He Who Remains in Loki's show was heavily speculated as being Kang the Conqueror. Unless there's an entirely different character with that name, which is totally possible since I just barely know the comics.

Oh, comics. Put it this way, the Marvel Database entry starts with:

Simply put, while Rama-Tut, Kang, Scarlet Centurion, Immortus, Iron Lad, and Mister Gryphon all started as Nathaniel Richards of Earth-6311, and their histories overlap, all the time travelling has schismed their timelines. Putting aside the non-Richards' Kangs (from timelines where Kang was slain, and his armor and Kang identity stolen by others, as witnessed with the Cross-Time Kangs), we know of:

In some realities, he's the adopted son of Reed Richards' father, and in others he's not. Then he splits off into multiple identities... It's up there with the Schleswig-Holstein Question.

Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business – the Prince Consort, who is dead – a German professor, who has gone mad – and I, who have forgotten all about it.

7 hours ago, Dani said:

As @calliope1975 said you here the kids calling out to Wanda for help. They’re part of the story isn’t over. Given how they aged in WV them being kids isn’t a barrier at all.

Fair enough- I’m not sure how I didn’t pick up on that.  Let’s hope it’s her actual kids calling, and not- say- extra dimensional Cthulhu demons…

Doctor Strange Director Reacts to Marvel Disapproval From Dune's Denis Villeneuve
By Liam Crowley     September 16, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/doctor-strange-marvel-denis-villeneuve-dune 

The Dune director suggested that Marvel films have turned audiences "into zombies" due to being "cut and paste" of others in the genre. Villenueve's comments were reminiscent of legendary director Martin Scorsese's infamous opinions on the comic book movie realm, who had previously likened superhero flicks to "theme parks."
Doctor Strange 's Scott Derrickson reposted a tweet ( "time to retweet this" ) from December 2020 that criticized directors for bringing down their own kind:

"As a director I don’t slag on the work of other directors even when I don’t like something they’ve made. This job is hard enough for all of us, and nobody ever sets out to make a bad movie."

In a follow-up post, Derrickson categorized those "who lambaste Marvel movies as all being the same" into two classes:

"Anyone who lambastes Marvel movies as all being the same has either a) not seen them all and therefore shouldn’t assume they’re all the same, or b) seen them all because hey, they actually quite like watching Marvel movies."

Critically-acclaimed sci-fi director Neil Blomkamp ( District 9 , Elysium ) was less diplomatic when responding to Villeneuve's comments, bluntly writing "what a f--king a--hole."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
On 9/16/2021 at 9:49 PM, SeanC said:

They have introduced, at this point, every member of the original lineup other than Hulkling

I remember when I watched Captain Marvel for the first time and seeing them introduce the battle between the Kree and Skrull thinking well that's just helped set up Hulkling's background for non comic book readers.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:51 AM, Dani said:

You don’t see the appeal in Young Avengers but there are other people who it will love it. Those people should get to have superhero movies that appeal to them. 

Honestly, Young Avengers is the one IP of Marvel that I have been hoping would enter the MCU since I stumbled across one of their comic series years ago (the Mother sotry). It would make my day to see these characters on the screen and I admit I got excited each time one of them appeared in the Disney+ series.

On 9/17/2021 at 12:20 AM, Chyromaniac said:

To be fair, this is part of what I have been saying - some amalgamation of a “younger” Avengers group seems probable.   I just don’t think Young Avengers (in the format that it seems like people are expecting) is likely.  Again, if they do bring back Eli, KL, and the twins, that’s something else- but until then, I feel like they’ve gotten their use from those 4.

I confess that most of my knowledge of the Marvel comics comes from Wikipedia pages, but (and this is the simple version) didn't the Twins initially appear in the comics and then disappear, only to be 'reincarnated' later not knowing who they are? I can see MCU doing something similar with their arc. Wanda/Vision represents the first appearance and disappearance. And then perhaps in Doctor Strange 2, a credit scene shows their return as older version after Wanda has spent some time in Doctor Strange 2 looking for them.

• Love 3

Best Marvel Studios' Dance Moves | Disney+
Disney Plus   Sep 18, 2021

Marvel Studios knows how to groove! For National Dance Day, we count down our favorite MCU dance moments. All of these and more are now streaming on #DisneyPlus.
Presented by The LEGO® Group.

6  Steve and Peggy
5  Star-Lord
4  Wanda and Vision
3  Justin Hammer
2  Potted Groot
1  Baron Zemo

Edited by tv echo

This book appears to be based on the comics, not the movies...

Navigate A Universe of Wonders with 'Marvel Universe: Map by Map'
BY CHRISTINE DINH    September 13, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/culture-lifestyle/marvel-universe-map-by-map 

DK Books, in partnership with Marvel Entertainment, is releasing Marvel Universe: Map by Map, a premium, lavishly illustrated compendium of specially curated essays, boasting stunning, newly commissioned maps, illustrations, and diagrams, exploring iconic Marvel locations. This hardcover collection hits shelves on November 16, 2021, everywhere books are sold. Pre-order now!

mapbymap.jpg

FYI, Amazon.com is selling this book starting November 16 (Kindle) and November 23 (hardcover), and its product page includes 17 images of pages from this book.

Edited by tv echo