Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

46 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wow. I didn't realize they were starting on BP2 already.  I wonder if they're going to announce their plans on handling Chadwick/T'Challa soon?  I will need an adjustment period depending on what they do

Just that the role will not be recast. Which has lead to fan petitions that this particular King and not the Kingdom of Wakanda is what was socially and politically more important 

53 minutes ago, Raja said:

Just that the role will not be recast. Which has lead to fan petitions that this particular King and not the Kingdom of Wakanda is what was socially and politically more important 

Someone will always be upset and protest. It's an insult to recast, no it's an insult not to recast and instead kill the character off. I'm just glad no one suggested CGI

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Someone will always be upset and protest. It's an insult to recast, no it's an insult not to recast and instead kill the character off. I'm just glad no one suggested CGI

I would have been fine with a recast, and would have been more interested in seeing how T'Challa dealt with being gone for five years and suddenly being thrust back into Wakanda. Is he king again? How has the country ridden the Snap? What happened to his plans to open up and share knowledge with the world?

But the decision has been made, and I'm sure Feige and Coogler have come up with the best way they can think of to continue the Black Panther story. I already thought the women were the highlight of the first movie - Nakia, Shuri, Okoye - so I'd be more than happy to see the sequel focusing more on them rather than thrusting another man in as the focal point.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

How literal do you all think they could get with the “no-recast?”  Like is there a scenario where they bring in Boyega - or someone else- as a T’Challa Variant?

That would seem to be against the spirit of the not going to recast announcement. Besides it would be impossible to hide like Sung Kang, the "dead" Han actor, being on the F9 set. Maybe as a tease for Black Panther 3 it would work but not as the lead for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 

True - it just occurred to me that they now have an opportunity - either by plan or accident - to bring in recast versions of certain characters.  Honestly, that’s my current working hypothesis for most of the Phase 4 sequels- Jane Foster Thor? Variant.  All the callback characters in the new Spider-Man?  Variants.  Plus, Dr. Strange 2 is going to deal with the Multiverse, and Ant-Man 3 has more Quantum stuff and Kang.  Again, this is just my speculation, not spoilers- I know nothing. 👍

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Ant-Man 3 has more Quantum stuff and Kang.  Again, this is just my speculation, not spoilers- I know nothing. 👍

I've been wondering if they'll do more with Ghost. Scott went to the Quantum Realm to help her, so will the character be back so we (meaning I) can find out what happened and if she'll be around?

1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I've been wondering if they'll do more with Ghost. Scott went to the Quantum Realm to help her, so will the character be back so we (meaning I) can find out what happened and if she'll be around?

Just assume that the only way she survived was by being snapped and blipped back 

• Useful 1

Thinking about it, the weird thing about not doing a T'challa recast is that Chadwick Boseman played several real life people in biopics (like Jackie Robinson and James Brown). So by that logic people would be ok with a Chadwick Boseman biopic that takes place between 2014 and his death and focuses entirely on his time working for Marvel (so a different actor playing Boseman playing T'challa), but not ok with someone else just playing T'challa.

6 hours ago, swanpride said:

Didn't they already announce ages ago that the character died with the actor? 

Yes- that is what they’ve said.  However, they also now have a situation where multiple actors are playing “Loki,” but being treated as distinct characters.  And again, my working theory for Phase 4 is that something will happen (or maybe already has) to allow “variant” versions of characters to coexist in the MCU. So, they potentially have - if they wanted to - a way to fulfill what they’ve said about Chadwick’s T’Challa, while bringing in a new actor to play a different iteration of that character.  I just posted my (largely hypothetical) question, because I was curious to see what people would think about that.   Also, it’s because I’m not sure how I would feel about it either.

4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Thinking about it, the weird thing about not doing a T'challa recast is that Chadwick Boseman played several real life people in biopics (like Jackie Robinson and James Brown). So by that logic people would be ok with a Chadwick Boseman biopic that takes place between 2014 and his death and focuses entirely on his time working for Marvel (so a different actor playing Boseman playing T'challa), but not ok with someone else just playing T'challa.

To me, that’s a false equivalency. There’s a big difference between a biopic made years after a person died and set decades earlier and recasting a character less than a year after the actor playing him died. Also, T’Challa became bigger than just a part in a movie making it very dicey to successfully recast him now. If they wanted to (or could have) delay Black Panther 2 for a couple of years it probably could have been done. 

3 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Yes- that is what they’ve said.  However, they also now have a situation where multiple actors are playing “Loki,” but being treated as distinct characters.  And again, my working theory for Phase 4 is that something will happen (or maybe already has) to allow “variant” versions of characters to coexist in the MCU. So, they potentially have - if they wanted to - a way to fulfill what they’ve said about Chadwick’s T’Challa, while bringing in a new actor to play a different iteration of that character.  I just posted my (largely hypothetical) question, because I was curious to see what people would think about that.   Also, it’s because I’m not sure how I would feel about it either.

Despite the fantastical elements, I feel Black Panther is to grounded in reality to introduce variants right now. If they were going to bring them in a variant Killmonger or former Black Panther would make more sense for the series. 

12 hours ago, swanpride said:

Didn't they already announce ages ago that the character died with the actor? 

This came right after a comment about the Ghost in Ant-Man 2 and I thought you were talking about that actor...I got very confused 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Stephen Dorff blasts MCU

What a weird coincidence.  I too shall not appear in an MCU movie as *I* am holding out to be discovered by the next Kubrick.  Yeah, that's the reason.

For the love of Pete, people need to get over themselves.  There's no rule that says you have to be in a popcorn movie.  (Even though, as the article mentions, Dorff was already in Blade.) And there's no rule that says you have to want to be in a popcorn movie.  But there is also no rule that says you have to choose between being in popcorn movies and being in artsy indie movies.  The two aren't mutually exclusive so stop being a tool.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

Stephen Dorff blasts MCU

What a weird coincidence.  I too shall not appear in an MCU movie as *I* am holding out to be discovered by the next Kubrick.  Yeah, that's the reason.

For the love of Pete, people need to get over themselves.  There's no rule that says you have to be in a popcorn movie.  (Even though, as the article mentions, Dorff was already in Blade.) And there's no rule that says you have to want to be in a popcorn movie.  But there is also no rule that says you have to choose between being in popcorn movies and being in artsy indie movies.  The two aren't mutually exclusive so stop being a tool.

Right now I really wish there was an eye roll reaction. He’s even more pretentious than that because he thinks he is going to discover the next Kubrick. 

Seriously though, I don’t care if he wants to act above superhero movies (despite being in a couple of them) but is comments about Scarlett are a dick move. 

He really doesn’t have the type of career to throw stones at a two time Oscar nominee. 

“I still hunt out the good shit because I don’t want to be in Black Widow,” the True Detectiveactor told the newspaper. “It looks like garbage to me. It looks like a bad video game. I’m embarrassed for those people. I’m embarrassed for Scarlett! I’m sure she got paid five, seven million bucks, but I’m embarrassed for her. I don’t want to be in those movies. I really don’t. I’ll find that kid director that’s gonna be the next [Stanley] Kubrick and I’ll act for him instead.”

Look at him, acting as through Marvel wants him to be in their movies when they have the creme de la creme lining up.

11 minutes ago, benteen said:

Who is Stephen Dorff?  Seriously, I have no idea.

He played the villain in Blade and starred in the season of True Detective no one cared about. I think the only thing I’ve seen him in is the Britney Spears “Everytime” video playing her douchebag boyfriend. 

Edited by Guest
15 minutes ago, benteen said:

Who is Stephen Dorff?  Seriously, I have no idea.

The last time I saw him was as the lead as acting Los Angeles County Sheriff in the FOX series Deputy last season

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Dani said:

He played the villain in Blade and starred in the season of True Detective no one cared about. I think the only thing I’ve seen him in is the Britney Spears “Everytime” video playing her douchebag boyfriend. 

Quoting myself because I just realized I mainly recognize from vape commercials. Maybe the director was the next Stanley Kubrick so it didn’t undermine his integrity

Edited by Guest

I remember him from a movie I saw years and years ago called Entropy, but I only watched that 'cause U2 had a brief cameo in it :p. And I think he played some date of Becky's on the original "Roseanne" back in the day, too. 

And...that's it for me as far as being familiar with his work. 

“I still hunt out the good shit because I don’t want to be in Black Widow,” the True Detective actor told the newspaper. “It looks like garbage to me. It looks like a bad video game. I’m embarrassed for those people. I’m embarrassed for Scarlett! I’m sure she got paid five, seven million bucks, but I’m embarrassed for her. I don’t want to be in those movies. I really don’t. I’ll find that kid director that’s gonna be the next [Stanley] Kubrick and I’ll act for him instead.”

Dude, you were in Immortals. Now *that* was a bad video game.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Dani said:

He really doesn’t have the type of career to throw stones at a two time Oscar nominee. 

Objectivly, I can understand maybe a concern that one won't be able to break out of a superhero movie mold, but to name check ScarJo in particular is an odd choice.  Yes, Oscar noms aren't necessarily the be all and end all, but it does speak to the simple fact that she literally gets other work and has gotten to work with some highly acclaimed writer/directors.  (Which is what Mr Dorff is apparently holding out for).  Like I said earlier, this isn't necessarily an either/or scenario.  Between Johansson, Weisz, and Pugh you have a combined 5 nominations and a win in the Black Widow cast.  That's not even going down the list of MCU actors which also includes names like Hopkins and Blancehtte who are both 2x Oscar winners. The DCEU has the likes of Viola Davis and Jared Leto*.  And if one is merely sick of the plethora of these films then that's one thing.  There are a lot of them and not all of them are good (same can be said about the yearly Oscar bait dramas but I digress.)  The point is I think maybe the one place where the films hit way more often than they miss is the casting.  And the big stars of these films really don't seem to be hurting for outside work.  Any suggestion of the contrary kinda of wreaks of mule muffins (or at least sour grapes) to me.

*I know that Leto's joker is divisive but he is both an Oscar winner and probably one of the least sell outy actors I could think of.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

It's okay Scarlett, they can't all be groundbreaking cinematic masterpieces like Space Truckers or Alone in the Dark.

And I'm pretty sure he didn't get $20m + points for those, either.

Between Johansson, Weisz, and Pugh you have a combined 5 nominations and a win in the Black Widow cast. 

9 nominations and 2 wins if you add in William Hurt.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Dani said:

I agree.  He's a relative nobody in this industry and would be lucky to have a career even remotely resembling that of Scarlett Johansson.  

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Frankly, there are two reasons why some guy might say something along the line about the MCU. One: He was asked by journalist who wanted a juicy hook for an article. Two: He needed some publicity. My guess is the second reason this time around. I mean, who even is this guy?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, dmeets said:

Someone's probably just bitter because Marvel's rebooting Blade without him.

Starring his former True Detective co-star. I bet everyone can guess which actor the show chose feature more heavily in promos and which one got the Emmy nomination for the show. 

His complete failure to recognize that the pandemic changed things and to recognize that there was a lot of creativity about making movies and films and tv with those restrictions says a lot about him too. Yeah, not everything works as well as we'd like, but the "next Kubrick" was making movies over zoom the last year. 

Re: the T'Challa recast/non-recast...  The Black Panther is different people at different times, correct?  So they could easily give us a new Black Panther without a new King T'Challa.  I think it's a nuance to the "no recast" comment that they can exploit.  Maybe this is obvious to everyone else here too, but I figured that I just throw it out there.  

28 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Re: the T'Challa recast/non-recast...  The Black Panther is different people at different times, correct?  So they could easily give us a new Black Panther without a new King T'Challa.  I think it's a nuance to the "no recast" comment that they can exploit.  Maybe this is obvious to everyone else here too, but I figured that I just throw it out there.  

I think the core comics fans feel is wrong is giving "T'Challa" inspired stories from the to a different King and Black Panther in the MCU. It is a more intense argument over changing the villain's and/or making them composites as done in Iron Man 2 and 3 as opposed to "MCUing" them like The Vulture in Spider-Man

(edited)
On 7/3/2021 at 1:34 PM, Dani said:

To me, that’s a false equivalency. There’s a big difference between a biopic made years after a person died and set decades earlier and recasting a character less than a year after the actor playing him died. Also, T’Challa became bigger than just a part in a movie making it very dicey to successfully recast him now. If they wanted to (or could have) delay Black Panther 2 for a couple of years it probably could have been done. 

I looked it up and it was 8 years between James Brown's death and Chadwick Boseman playing him on screen (weirdly it was the same number of years between Heath Ledger and Jared Leto playing The Joker).  I think there is an argument to be made that for a fictional character you could do a shorter wait than that. It will be 3 years between End Game and Wakanda Forever. I would have preferred waiting a few more years to find the right person to play T'challa. Hell they pushed GOTG3 back an extra 3 years because of James Gunn's stupid tweets.

4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

They could make anyone king of Wakanda and/or the Black Panther. I think for awhile in the comics Everett K Ross was acting king. But personally I would like to see more T'challa stories. I am also worried how you explain why he is gone if it basically all happens off screen. How do you make it not be "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet"?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

Maybe the Multiverse angle will give us another actor playing a T'challa, but from another universe who because of reasons ends up permanently on "our" world?

On 7/6/2021 at 2:37 PM, Bruinsfan said:

It's okay Scarlett, they can't all be groundbreaking cinematic masterpieces like Space Truckers or Alone in the Dark.

I've actually seen Space Truckers. It's really not good. It might be the only thing I've seen him in, but I remember him being one of those 'surely he'll be a big star soon, right?' guys from the 90s.

The gall of a B-movie and schlocky TV actor sneering that he doesn't want to be in the MCU because he's "still looking for things that are good" is quite hilarious.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I've actually seen Space Truckers. It's really not good. It might be the only thing I've seen him in, but I remember him being one of those 'surely he'll be a big star soon, right?' guys from the 90s.

The gall of a B-movie and schlocky TV actor sneering that he doesn't want to be in the MCU because he's "still looking for things that are good" is quite hilarious.

The thing is,  Stephen Dorff is a good actor.  He was great in True Detective.  He just hasn’t made some of the best choices.  He was a great looking guy.  Still is to a degree.  Most people over a certain age know who he is but don’t realize he has done some good things sporadically or only remember him from Blade.  That being said.  I think this might be a publicity stunt.  

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

The thing is,  Stephen Dorff is a good actor.  He was great in True Detective.  He just hasn’t made some of the best choices.  He was a great looking guy.  Still is to a degree.  Most people over a certain age know who he is but don’t realize he has done some good things sporadically or only remember him from Blade.  That being said.  I think this might be a publicity stunt.  

It probably is, if only because Johansson is a strange choice here. Whatever can be said for her career, she's established and has done plenty of work outside of the franchise. The MCU has actresses who have fewer credits, even Brie Larson, who has an Oscar. Dorff is probably hoping some of the Black Widow hype will turn in his direction if he says negative things about her, which is super distasteful.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Yes and I think this is what most assume they will do. Most of the objection to recasting is purely about T’Challa not Black Panther. Many want to see Shuri or Okoye take up the mantle of Black Panther. 

14 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I looked it up and it was 8 years between James Brown's death and Chadwick Boseman playing him on screen (weirdly it was the same number of years between Heath Ledger and Jared Leto playing The Joker).  I think there is an argument to be made that for a fictional character you could do a shorter wait than that. It will be 3 years between End Game and Wakanda Forever. I would have preferred waiting a few more years to find the right person to play T'challa. Hell they pushed GOTG3 back an extra 3 years because of James Gunn's stupid tweets.

With James Brown I think the more important how long it was since the height of his fame than how long it was since he died. He was a legend but it was already mostly out of the spotlight well before he died. The same can’t be said for Chadwick.

Black Panther has too much significance culturally and financially to wait. It’s franchise that needs to have it’s sequel out sooner than later. 

In the end this isn’t about logic. It is purely about emotion. Many people just don’t want to see T’Challa replaced. It really doesn’t matter if they could do it or even it they should do it. 

(edited)

Comic-Con@Home 2021, a virtual event, is scheduled for July 23-25, 2021...

Disney’s Marvel Studios & Warner Bros DC Films To Skip San Diego Comic-Con@Home
By Anthony D'Alessandro    July 7, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/07/disneys-marvel-studios-warner-bros-dc-films-to-skip-san-diego-comic-conhome-1234787941/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Nothing beats trotting out your theatrical film slate with stars before a live-audience of 6,5K roaring attendees at the San Diego Convention Center’s Hall H. As such, it shouldn’t come as a shock to hear that Disney’s Marvel Studios films and MCU series won’t be putting in an appearance during the virtual edition of Comic-Con, nor will Warner Bros.’ DC films. We’re still waiting to hear if Sony’s Marvel titles, Spider-Man: No Way Home (which is technically a Disney co-production), Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Morbius will make any kind of online splash with SDCC.
Given the pandemic, this will be the second year that Marvel’s a no-go at San Diego Comic-Con. Disney has been taking advantage of its Investor Days, the last being in December to shoot their wares out of a cannon.

The live edition of San Diego Comic-Con will be Nov. 26-28, the post Thanksgiving frame. It’s still early, so we’ll see if either Marvel Studios or Warner Bros. shows up then.  When reached Warner Bros. and Disney’s Marvel provided no comment.

Edited by tv echo
20 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

The next Disney+ series, What If...

That looks cool. I wonder if it will be linked to Loki. Like are these episodes actual variant timelines that exist or is it just some made up creative stories?

Also on a side note this trailer reminded me that Yondu's magic arrow thing is really dumb. I mean sure it moves fast, but it seems it works way too good. Like when he uses it on a big group of people, he can only hit one at a time. Yet no one is able to shoot him before they get hit.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, Dani said:

Starring his former True Detective co-star. I bet everyone can guess which actor the show chose feature more heavily in promos and which one got the Emmy nomination for the show. 

Not to mention that the new Blade's being played by a two-time Oscar winner who, like Dorff, has Marvel ties of his own (as Cottonmouth in Luke Cage). However, Mahershala Ali's not the one who's so desperate for relevancy that he's throwing shade at a fellow member of the MCU just to get attention. 

Speaking of Dorff, he needs to have several seats. I'm not the biggest ScarJo fan in the world by any means, but it seems to me that anyone who's both making Marvel money and got two Oscar noms in the same year doesn't need condescending career advice, especially from a has-been.  Besides True Detective, to me, Dorff is only famous for three other things: Cecil B. Demented, being the male lead in Britney Spears "Everytime" video and most famously, playing Deacon Frost in Blade.

At the risk of aging myself, I remember reading a magazine interview with Dorff back in 1997 and he was just as pretentious and obnoxious then as he is now. Instead of telling people who don't need his help what to do about their careers, Dorff would do well to take care of his own, if he still has one, that is.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5
On 7/6/2021 at 3:15 PM, dmeets said:

Someone's probably just bitter because Marvel's rebooting Blade without him.

I would have put my money on Wesley to be the vocal one.

• Love 2

Oh hey, I just recalled the other thing I've seen Stephen Dorff in - the video for Aerosmith's Cryin', where he plays the cheating boyfriend that Alicia Silverstone leaves in the dust. Truly a stellar career, I can see why he doesn't want to sully himself with the MCU.

• LOL 6