Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

If they paid attention they know how little interest there is to ship those two characters together. Honestly, there are more Valkyrie/Loki fics than stories with ship her with Thor, and most of the time she gets paired with a women anyway. 

(edited)
On 6/14/2021 at 9:05 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I like Thor with Sif, but I know I'm in the minority.

I don't think so, if nothing else all the comic fans should fall on that side since Sif is Thor's main Love Interest in the comics.

I personally, have been waiting for Thor/Sir since the first movie. I hope it happens and I hope it doesn't suck. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't think so, if nothing else all the comic fans should fall on that side since Sif is Thor's main Love Interest in the comics.

And in the mythology. They have twin sons, Magni and Modi, and daughter Thrud.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I personally, have been waiting for Thor/Sir since the first movie. I hope it happens and I hope it doesn't suck. 

Oh, interesting!  Good to know.  For some reason, I thought he was always with Jane in the comics.  

29 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I know just a wee amount about the "real" mythology, which I thought Marvel didn't care about at all, LOL!  (For example, I think Sif is supposed to be blonde?)  

I guess I just think that Thor needs to be with someone who is like him (immortal, or semi-immortal).  Jane will only live so long, cancer or not, but Thor is already 1,500 years old, so...

(edited)
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Yeah but, I figured most people that watch MCU would know Comics/Marvel movies not More Mythology. Plus MCU made quite a few changes from both. No Balder, Sif and Heimdell were brother/sister in comics (not sure about Norse Mythology) or even MCU

46 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

(For example, I think Sif is supposed to be blonde?)  

She is, in both comics and Mythology. In the Comics/Mythology Loki cut off her blonde hair in a fit of jealousy (over Thor/Sif teenage love). Not sure why it came back black but since he cut it off she had dark hair. Maybe another Loki trick/magic?

46 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Oh, interesting!  Good to know.  For some reason, I thought he was always with Jane in the comics

Nope, it's pretty much been mostly Sif. I think movies just got screwed. I heard (think I heard) that Thor 2 was supposed to play up the love triangle and Thor/Sif romance but, due to Jamie Alexander getting hurt early in filming that was scrapped.   Then MCU basically torched the Thor movies with Ragnorock.

Edited by Morrigan2575
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

She is, in both comics and Mythology. In the Comics/Mythology Loki cut off her blonde hair in a fit of jealousy (over Thor/Sif teenage love). Not sure why it came back black but since he cut it off she had dark hair. Maybe another Loki trick/magic?

Right, but if it's comics only, then it's not MCU canon.  I don't think any of that was seen in any of the movies that she's been in, so all we know is that she's a dark brunette.  

1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

I'm a fairly well-read Marvel comics reader. I have never actually read a comic with the character Jane Foster in it as far as I remember.

There was that fun of Thor where Jane was Thor and Thor went by Odinson. I only remember because people were talking about around Thor 2 or Ultron?

2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I'm a fairly well-read Marvel comics reader. I have never actually read a comic with the character Jane Foster in it as far as I remember.

The Goddess of Thunder arc ran for almost 4 years. 

5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah but, I figured most people that watch MCU would know Comics/Marvel movies not More Mythology. Plus MCU made quite a few changes from both. No Balder, Sif and Heimdell were brother/sister in comics (not sure about Norse Mythology) or even MCU

In the mythology, Loki also gives birth to an eight legged horse named Sleipnir, and is Hela's father, not her brother. Lots of fun there considering the "kneel before your queen" stuff in Ragnarok. Also this:

image.png.03a5dabb860e5680dfa1a0bc0b04cfaa.png

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

In the mythology, Loki also gives birth to an eight legged horse named Sleipnir, and is Hela's father, not her brother. Lots of fun there considering the "kneel before your queen" stuff in Ragnarok. Also this:

image.png.03a5dabb860e5680dfa1a0bc0b04cfaa.png

I knew about Hel being Loki's daughter. Didn't know about the Horse thing LOL

Frankly, I don't care what is written in the comics, the way Sif and Thor are in the movies, I don't want them to be together. Thor has known her all his life and never had any romantic feelings to her, I really don't want them to push the message that some guy will eventually fall for you if you are just patient enough. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, swanpride said:

Frankly, I don't care what is written in the comics, the way Sif and Thor are in the movies, I don't want them to be together. Thor has known her all his life and never had any romantic feelings to her, I really don't want them to push the message that some guy will eventually fall for you if you are just patient enough. 

I don’t know - I guess we’ll have to see how their relationship (whatever it ends up being) comes off, but I trust Taika not to do something schlocky with it.  When “L&T“ comes out it will have been 9 years since Sif has been in the MCU proper - so who can say what she’s been up to.  Thor has certainly had a lot going on - and I feel confident that his attitudes and priorities are vastly different now than they were even in “The Dark World.” 

Still, it’s not like she was hanging around fat Thor while he played X-Box with Korg.  She’s presumably had more important stuff to do than pining away as his girl Friday.  If they do reconnect here after years apart and find out that their feelings have changed - well, I’ve heard plenty of real life stories like that, so it doesn’t seem wholly unrealistic.  Like I said, it’ll just depend on how they decide to play it, if that’s the direction they want to take.

Shoot - for all we know, the Loki show could end with him unleashing some sort of multiversal apocalypse.  So who knows if the Sif (or Jane for that matter) in Thor 4 is actually going to be the same character that we last saw in 2013?

On 6/15/2021 at 6:20 AM, swanpride said:

If they paid attention they know how little interest there is to ship those two characters together. Honestly, there are more Valkyrie/Loki fics than stories with ship her with Thor, and most of the time she gets paired with a women anyway. 

There are a probably more Loki/Valkyrie fics than there are Thor/anyone. Fanfic writers and fans who think Loki is the best thing since sliced bread are... Not quite a circle on a Venn diagram, but not far off.

(edited)

As you may or may not know, Kevin Feige, the original six Avengers,* Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Pratt, Don Cheadle, Josh Brolin and Lupita Nyong’o all have stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (there may be more MCU stars, I don't know) - now Michael B. Jordan, Tessa Thompson and Ming-Na Wen will be getting stars next year...

(* Four of the original six Avengers - RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo and Chris Hemsworth - have two stars, one in solo ceremonies in 2009, 2012, 2017 and 2020, respectively, and one as part of the special 2019 original six Avengers ceremony.)

HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME CLASS OF 2022  
June 17, 2021
https://walkoffame.com/press_releases/classof2022/

... The Hollywood Walk of Fame Class of 2022 are: In the category of MOTION PICTURES: Francis Ford Coppola, Macaulay Culkin, Willem Dafoe, Salma Hayek, James Hong, Helen Hunt, Michael B. Jordan, Regina King, Ray Liotta, Ewan McGregor, Adam McKay, Jason Momoa, Tessa Thompson and Carrie Fisher (posthumous) In the category of TELEVISION: Byron Allen, Greg Berlanti, Ricky Gervais, Peter Krause, Bob Odenkirk, Holly Robinson-Peete, Norman Reedus, Tracee Ellis Ross, Jean Smart, Ming-Na Wen and Kenan Thompson In the category of RECORDING: Black Eyed Peas, George E. Clinton Jr., Ashanti Douglas, DJ Khaled, Avril Lavigne, Los Huracanes Del Norte, Martha Reeves and Ermias “Nipsey Hussle” Asghedom (posthumous) In the category of LIVE THEATRE/LIVE PERFORMANCE: Patti LuPone, Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr. and Angelica Vale In the category of RADIO:  Richard Blade In the category or Sports Entertainment: Michael Strahan The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and its Walk of Fame Selection Panel congratulate all the honorees. Dates have not been scheduled for these star ceremonies. Recipients have two years to schedule star ceremonies from the date of selection before they expire. Upcoming star ceremonies are usually announced ten days prior to dedication on the official website www.walkoffame.com. ★★★

ETA: Honestly, I'm surprised that Chris Evans and Tom Holland don't have (solo) stars on The Hollywood Walk of Fame yet, given their popularity.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
On 6/12/2021 at 8:55 AM, Avabelle said:

Are Jane and Thor unpopular? Aww I always liked them

I loved them in the first movie and was disappointed they broke up. He wooed her with science! He was observant enough to realize that her work was important to her and he supported that (stealing back her notebook, making SHIELD return her equipment as part of their deal, the whole scene on the roof). And he respected her enough to listen when she said some behaviors weren't acceptable. STEM women are pretty rare in tv and movies and it's even rarer for that focus to be valued so I really enjoyed that aspect of Jane and her relationship with Thor.

(I do understand there are many, many reasons a relationship between a human and an immortal god would never work but I was still sad)

• Love 6
On 6/19/2021 at 8:24 AM, tv echo said:

ETA: Honestly, I'm surprised that Chris Evans and Tom Holland don't have (solo) stars on The Hollywood Walk of Fame yet, given their popularity.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:30 AM, scarynikki12 said:

The stars have to be paid for which is why it can take a while. Since it’s a big group of Disney people I’m guessing they’re footing the bill. 

I've heard that many stars don't care about ever getting a star on the walk, for multiple reasons.  I'm not positive that they all see it as such an honor, but most cite the fact that they have to pay for it.  I know a lot of other people or organizations actually foot the bill, but I think there are some that don't want other people doing that for them.  I don't blame them; it's not really an award if you have to pay for it. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I've heard that many stars don't care about ever getting a star on the walk, for multiple reasons.  I'm not positive that they all see it as such an honor, but most cite the fact that they have to pay for it.  I know a lot of other people or organizations actually foot the bill, but I think there are some that don't want other people doing that for them.  I don't blame them; it's not really an award if you have to pay for it. 

True my cousin came to me for donations to get Motown executive Berry Gordy a star. I wanted to say he laid you off when the company started selling off parts and he can buy his own star. I remember another try for a dead artist but Hollywood was holding out for a bigger Motown star to attend the ceremony 

Evans and Holland don't strike me as the types who need attention so much that they'd go to extra effort to be honored/commemorated.

RDJ, on the other hand, may have asked if there was a bulk discount for a certain quantity of stars.

• LOL 3
(edited)

Includes shots from MCU movies (Clint Barton and Lila in Avengers: Endgame, Vision and baby son in WandaVision, Paxton and Cassie in Ant-Man, T'Chaka and T'Challa in Black Panther, Hank Pym and Hope in Ant-Man and the Wasp, Scott Lang and Cassie in Ant-Man, Odin and Thor in Thor: Ragnorak, Yondu and Peter Quill in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2)...

To All the Dads | Disney+
Disney Plus   Jun 20, 2021

Edited by tv echo

It already started on a poor footing with me because it revolves around a character I was over about 9 years ago. There are aspects I like, but others that are like irritating food stuck in my teeth (if the TVA prunes all branching timelines before they can deviate far, how do variant Lokis have enough time to become so different, or even have entirely different life histories?).

44 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

It already started on a poor footing with me because it revolves around a character I was over about 9 years ago. There are aspects I like, but others that are like irritating food stuck in my teeth (if the TVA prunes all branching timelines before they can deviate far, how do variant Lokis have enough time to become so different, or even have entirely different life histories?).

I thought that the premise would be entirely different.  It's probably my fault for confusing it with what is predicted to happen on What If...?, but still.  I thought at first that I wasn't following the storyline, but I am.  I realized that I just... don't care. 

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Am I still allowed to be a Marvel fan if I don't love Loki?  The character is good, Tom Hiddleston is great, but the show is... boring.  There, I said it.  

I thought that the premise would be entirely different.  It's probably my fault for confusing it with what is predicted to happen on What If...?, but still.  I thought at first that I wasn't following the storyline, but I am.  I realized that I just... don't care. 

I don't think it's a rule that you have to like and love EVERYTHING that Marvel puts out.

With respect to the series, I thought Wanda Vision was okay; The Falcon & the Winter Soldier was a VAST disappointment, but I'm loving Loki. I'm ignoring all the timey wimey stuff, and just enjoying watching Tom Hiddleston. I could just listen to him talk forever.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't think it's a rule that you have to like and love EVERYTHING that Marvel puts out.

With respect to the series, I thought Wanda Vision was okay; The Falcon & the Winter Soldier was a VAST disappointment, but I'm loving Loki. I'm ignoring all the timey wimey stuff, and just enjoying watching Tom Hiddleston. I could just listen to him talk forever.

I thought WandaVision was good, Falcon and the Winter Soldier was good too, and Loki is the disappointment.  (Though FATWS had its bad parts, it felt more like a "classic" MCU movie to me, so I think that's why I overlook its faults and still liked it.)  

I totally understand what you're saying about Tom Hiddleston; he's the only saving grace for the show for me.  I think it's because it was so hyped, and it hasn't live up to the HUGE expectations that so many people were giving it.  I need both a good story and a good performance at this point, I think.  A+ on the performance, C- on the story so far.

Also (I just thought of this), I think I liked the other two shows because they continued the MCU timeline.  Loki is a one-off, out of place story.  We know he's dead, and to be just zapped out of a movie that already happened doesn't make much sense to me.  Hopefully the ending will address this and wrap it up so I can see how it truly fits in with all the other known plots of the MCU.

33 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Yeah, the point of the MCU is that there is something for everyone, not that everyone is supposed to love everything in it. 

It just seems like the overwhelming majority love it, and I must be missing something.  For the weird movies that I love more than other people (Dr. Strange, for example), I can understand why others didn't like it as much as me.  But this time, it's the other way around, LOL.  I'll keep trying. 😉

• Love 1

I totally understand what you're saying about Tom Hiddleston; he's the only saving grace for the show for me.  I think it's because it was so hyped, and it hasn't live up to the HUGE expectations that so many people were giving it. 

I don't really pay much attention to ratings, but the premiere for this show was larger than for the other two. So just based on that, I think it lived up to the hype for those viewers. Then again, I stayed away from the media, and also didn't understand WHY they needed to hype it so, so, sooo much. Did they think it would fail? Plus, I didn't want to get spoiled.

But that was the premiere. I don't know if ratings have fallen or maintained.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't really pay much attention to ratings, but the premiere for this show was larger than for the other two. So just based on that, I think it lived up to the hype for those viewers. Then again, I stayed away from the media, and also didn't understand WHY they needed to hype it so, so, sooo much. Did they think it would fail? Plus, I didn't want to get spoiled.

But that was the premiere. I don't know if ratings have fallen or maintained.

Right... I just meant personally, for me, it did not live up to the hype.  I don't understand either why it was so hyped. 

One of the reviews said that the banter between Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson was just phenomenal, or something like that, and I disagree.  It's good, but it's nothing that other shows, movies, or actors haven't also done well. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

There are MCU movies I think suck (Thor, Dr Strange, Thor 2, etc etc). 😂

To be honest WandaVision started off piss poor (IMO). I think it took 4 episodes before I started liking it. Until that point I was just tuning in to see if the spec was right/wrong and WTF they had planned. 

I liked TFAWS right off the bat but, IMO both shows failed to stick the landing. The Season Finales were a major let down for me.

Loki is a little slow but, I really liked Episode 3, provided my spec is right. If I'm wrong that's going to be a major let down.  My concern with Loki is that they only have 6 episodes, we're halfway through and, I feel like it's way too short to tell the story.

Edited by Morrigan2575
4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Loki is a little slow but, I really liked Episode 3, provided my spec is right. If I'm wrong that's going to be a major let down.  My concern with Loki is that they only have 6 episodes, we're halfway through and, I feel like it's way too short to tell the story.

But it's been renewed for a second season. So it's not as if it will end/be resolved by the finale.

• Love 1
(edited)
35 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But it's been renewed for a second season. So it's not as if it will end/be resolved by the finale.

I tend to prefer shows to have self contained stories each season. So I'm hoping Loki/Sylvia/TVA is wrapped up

Edited by Morrigan2575
3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

It just seems like the overwhelming majority love it, and I must be missing something.  For the weird movies that I love more than other people (Dr. Strange, for example), I can understand why others didn't like it as much as me.  But this time, it's the other way around, LOL.  I'll keep trying. 😉

I wouldn’t read anything into the majority reaction. It’s a pretty small group that are actual posting love and it tends to become an echo chamber. People tend to passionate about Marvel making it hard for people who are less enthusiastic to participate. 

7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Am I still allowed to be a Marvel fan if I don't love Loki?  The character is good, Tom Hiddleston is great, but the show is... boring.  There, I said it.  

I'm not watching it, and I still consider myself a Marvel fan. I'm just not interested in any more Loki. Particularly not a Loki who hasn't had any of the post-The Avengers character development to make him tolerable.

• Love 2

I wonder if part of the problem with these MCU shows for some people (possibly including the MCU writers/editors/director) is that they're not shows or episodes, they're just really long movies cut up into parts. I think I've seen comments for each of the 3 shows so far that "it's already episode X and Y should have happened by now" or something to that effect, when it's better to think of it as one long movie. It's not over until it's over. Maybe TPTB didn't like the idea of calling any of them mini-series, which I think sets a different expectation.

Not being able to binge everything at once loses something for some viewers, but Disney gains chatter and $$ this way.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Abra said:

I wonder if part of the problem with these MCU shows for some people (possibly including the MCU writers/editors/director) is that they're not shows or episodes, they're just really long movies cut up into parts. I think I've seen comments for each of the 3 shows so far that "it's already episode X and Y should have happened by now" or something to that effect, when it's better to think of it as one long movie. It's not over until it's over. Maybe TPTB didn't like the idea of calling any of them mini-series, which I think sets a different expectation.

Not being able to binge everything at once loses something for some viewers, but Disney gains chatter and $$ this way.

I think that the classic "miniseries" format was one episode a night for a week. With episodes a week apart it isn't a miniseries to old folks.

• Love 2

My Problem so far was more, that the start of every show was better than the ending. Not that the ending was bad, but it felt like a let down every time, especially compared to the kind of finales AoS managed to churn out (on a way lower budget, I need to add). I hope that Loki will buck that trend. 

12 hours ago, Abra said:

I wonder if part of the problem with these MCU shows for some people (possibly including the MCU writers/editors/director) is that they're not shows or episodes, they're just really long movies cut up into parts.

The binge model has also really affected the way people watch TV in general. There was an article about WandaVision regarding the comments about it being too slow and nothing was happening, but that it was at least partly that viewers had forgotten the one-episode-at-the-time format of yesteryear. Streaming services have done a lot to change the landscape of entertainment as far as providing a huge variety of content, putting the entirety of a series online to be watched all at once, but it also cuts down on the ability to really examine what's going on in any given episode. The franchise took a fair-sized risk in airing WandaVision first, since it was just her mired up to her waist in grief for most of it.

• Love 3

I have no attachment to the character Loki.  I didn’t hate or like the character.   I had no expectations for the show Loki and wasn’t even sure if I would even watch because of my blah feelings about the character.  I am glad I gave the show a chance and am enjoying it.  I think my lack of expectations helped.

I really loved WandaVision and FATWS.   WandaVision  in particular  was something unique for the MCU.  I don’t love Loki but do like it.

• Love 2

I like Loki because I really like Hiddleston. I am also not disappointed by the show (that feeling has nothing to do with Hiddleston). With that said, Loki is not my favorite Marvel character. I can count at least seven that I like more.

• Love 2

Loki Variants, Spidey Friends, and More! | Marvel Minute
Marvel Entertainment  Jun 28, 2021

On this week’s Marvel Minute presented by SiriusXM, we have an exclusive clip from Marvel’s Wastelanders: Old Man Star-Lord, a new character poster for Marvel Studios' Loki, and the announcement of Marvel's Spidey and his Amazing Friends!

(edited)

I wasn't sure if it was too early to start an individual thread for this movie (slated for a July 8, 2022 release), so posting here...

‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Production Starts in Atlanta: ‘We’re Going to Make Chad Proud’ (EXCLUSIVE)
By Adam B. Vary, Marc Malkin   Jun 29, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/black-panther-wakanda-forever-production-atlanta-cast-1235008191/ 

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” — the highly anticipated sequel to the Oscar-winning, billion-dollar blockbuster “Black Panther” — started production on Tuesday at Pinewood Studios in Atlanta, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige tells Variety.

Director Ryan Coogler is returning to direct from his screenplay, and Feige says that everyone from the original cast is also coming back — without, of course, star Chadwick Boseman, who died in August 2020 after a four year battle with colon cancer.

“It’s clearly very emotional without Chad,” Feige said before the “Black Widow” Global Fan Event in Los Angeles on Tuesday night. “But everyone is also very excited to bring the world of Wakanda back to the public and back to the fans. We’re going to do it in a way that would make Chad proud.”
“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” is set to debut on July 8, 2022. It’s one of 26 upcoming titles on Marvel Studios’ slate for theatrical release and streaming on Disney Plus, including a TV series set within the world of Wakanda that is part of a multi-year overall television deal Coogler and his Proximity Media signed with The Walt Disney Company in February.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Wow. I didn't realize they were starting on BP2 already.  I wonder if they're going to announce their plans on handling Chadwick/T'Challa soon?  I will need an adjustment period depending on what they do

• Love 1