Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

@starri I know that Silverclaw is a minor and mostly forgotten character all things considered, but, well, so were the GotG, and everything about Silverclaw is perfect for Marvel: Badass name, an ability which is something new and very cinematic and with her whole cultural background she could offer up true representation for South-America.

The Guardians had has a pretty visible run starting with Annihilation in 2005, which heavily featured Quill, Gamora, and Drax, and got their own on-going in 2008, which had the entire lineup from the movies with a few additional characters.  

I REALLY hope they adapt Annihilation at some point.  That was a great story, and they could do it now with the FF characters back home.

That said, I would love, love, love if they did some kind of movie or TV project with some of the forgotten characters.  I mean, of all the 90s Avengers, Sersi was one I never expected to see in live action, but here we are.

• Love 1
On 10/18/2020 at 3:38 PM, starri said:

Netflix's Baby-Sitter's Club Xochitl Gomez in case in Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

They don't say who she's playing.  The chances that it's anyone other than America Chavez are between 0-0.1%.

I hope it is America Chavez. She's a cool character and seems like the sort of message that Marvel enjoy sending to the fans and the general public in particular - A young, LGBTQ, Latinx woman who represents everything that's good about America. It will send the troglodytes into apoplectic rage... again.

It's also another piece of the Young Avengers franchise that Marvel are building - Kate Bishop, Cassie Lang, Wiccan and Speed (who, I believe, will appear in WandaVision in some form), Miss Marvel and now America Chavez too? Again, a team of diverse and inclusive young heroes would be a great message to send out from the world's biggest entertainment company.

• Love 3
On 10/19/2020 at 2:13 AM, swanpride said:

@starri I know that Silverclaw is a minor and mostly forgotten character all things considered, but, well, so were the GotG, and everything about Silverclaw is perfect for Marvel: Badass name, an ability which is something new and very cinematic and with her whole cultural background she could offer up true representation for South-America.

I had to look up who Silverclaw was which is surprising since she was created during the Kurt Busiek avengers run that I actually read.  I think I also may have been thinking of Firebird, who was also a member of West Coast Avengers and I was reading those around the same time. Her powers could also look awesome on a movie screen.

It does seem like they're building to an interesting, diverse, mainly female (right now) group of Young Avengers, which is highly interesting and very exciting, the culmination of Feige apparently threatening to quit if they didn't back his view of an inclusive universe as opposed to Perlmutter's opposite. Just looking at the names there are even more moving pieces in place than there were with the original group(s) before the first Avengers. Many of them will be coming from TV shows, some of them will be supporting characters in other characters' movies, some will be both, some will probably headline their own movie...I feel exhausted just thinking about how it's all going to fit together by phase 5 or 6. 

It will be interesting to see America's role in MoM, given the potential nature of the story and how many people are in it, it could be anything from an extended cameo to a big supporting role. Looking around it doesn't seem like her own comic series ran very long, though she's appeared more in other books and she's appeared in several animated specials voiced by Cierra Ramirez who I really like. 

Edited by Featherhat

Here's a clip of Natalie Portman on Jimmy Fallon, talking about being in Sydney and prepping for Thor.

I have to say, I am intrigued by Love and Thunder and how they'll handle Lady Thor and regular!Thor/Odinson in this, I hope they can pull it off. I'm in the minority I think, in that I actually like Jane, slightly dull though she is. I like that she always goes back to studying the stars. Whilst I have some ups and downs with Portman as an actress I hope this "silly" and possibly bittersweet story gives her something to dig her teeth in to. 

I've seen some (probably entirely baseless and wacky) speculation that she becomes Valkyrie's love interest in a twist ending and whilst I wouldn't mind that at all, it would probably mean signing on to more movies than Portman would want. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, swanpride said:

The problem with Jane was never Portman (and I am not a fan of her at all, I might add), but how she was written. The movies are full of sexist tropes, its a wonder a halfway likable character came out of it.

IMHO I think they did try and give Jane a POV and make her proactive in her research, even in TDW she's independently found The Convergence and also to a much lesser extent Darcy has a bit of that, but I also agree the writing did come with a lot of extremely frustrating tropes for both of them as well. 

Sif is the one that really gets me because I really want to like her but she's the epitome of "put her in armour and have her be "kick ass" and that automatically makes her an *awesome* character" in these types of movies. When everything that wasn't an action scene had a lot of the worst female tropes for her, including pining for hundreds of years without saying anything and having no POV what so ever and a backstory about Asguardian sexism given in one line by Thor. 

Valkyrie fares the best by being allowed to have a POV, an actual character arc, flaws that fit the story and being an interesting character beyond what she brings to the table looks or action wise. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Valkyrie fares the best by being allowed to have a POV, an actual character arc, flaws that fit the story and being an interesting character beyond what she brings to the table looks or action wise. 

In my opinion, Valkyrie fares the best by being introduced in Ragnorak and written by Taika. The problem with Jane was the writing and Portman wasn’t the right actress to overcome that deficit. I’m excited to see Jane in the new movie.  

I can't recall who I'd heard was under consideration for the Moon Knight lead role some time back, only that Oscar Isaac is an enormous improvement in terms of casting.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I can't recall who I'd heard was under consideration for the Moon Knight lead role some time back, only that Oscar Isaac is an enormous improvement in terms of casting.

According to the thread in the TV section, Pedro Pascal, Daniel Radcliffe and Oliver Jackson-Cohen were being rumoured at one point.

I'm glad Oscar Isaac was cast, I thought Star Wars wasted him among the many other actors it also wasted recently. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

13 hours ago, Featherhat said:

According to the thread in the TV section, Pedro Pascal, Daniel Radcliffe and Oliver Jackson-Cohen were being rumoured at one point.

I'm glad Oscar Isaac was cast, I thought Star Wars wasted him among the many other actors it also wasted recently. 

I don't know who Moon Knight is either, but any role where both Pedro Pascal and Oscar Isaac are considered has to be a good character.  I can't say Oscar would be an enormous improvement over Pascal, but the others - yes.

• Love 1

Scarlett Johanssen and Colin Jost tied the knot!

Too bad about the pandemic. I was really hoping to hear reports of an epic wedding reception that featured the Marvel cinematic universe on one side and the cast of SNL on the other

• LOL 2
On 10/29/2020 at 6:56 PM, anna0852 said:

Scarlett Johanssen and Colin Jost tied the knot!

Too bad about the pandemic. I was really hoping to hear reports of an epic wedding reception that featured the Marvel cinematic universe on one side and the cast of SNL on the other

I suppose they could have tried a virtual service and reception over the internet, but with Chris Evans as one of the bride's longtime friends maybe no one wanted to take a chance on any mishaps? 😝

I must have heard one of the other two Moon Knight candidates, because Pedro Pascal isn't casting I'd have objected to either. I'm sorry, but as good an actor as Radcliffe is, buying him as a former boxer, marine, and soldier-of-fortune who becomes a vigilante is just not in the cards. And these days when Oliver Jackson-Cohen is considered for a "tough" role, all I can think of is that interview where he described his very intricate morning grooming and skincare regimen. I just can't see Mark Spector worrying about his exfoliant and moisturizer to get ready for a title match or a black ops mission in some tropical jungle.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1

Once every few blue moons i randomly pop in here to give an update on my quest to catch up with the mcu movies so here i am. I can't even remember if i popped in here after i watched civil war and black panther during that one oscar season. It's been a long time.

Since then i've managed to watch Thor 2, Captain Marvel, Homecoming and Ant Man and the Wasp.

Thor 2- the less said the better imo. It was plain awful. Chris Eccleston was wasted as the villain in this movie. 😞

Homecoming- it was...kinda slow? And a little boring??? I didn't have an issue with tony's role in the film but i actually wasn't a fan of all the spidersuit tech stuff. It was too much. Too...techy. Happy seems more grouchy too. He always took his job seriously, but it usually came off in an endearing way. Not so much here. Mvp award goes to Michal Keaton for sure. He was really good. The Vulture was great.

Antman & wasp - relatively fun. Still like the first one better but i enjoyed getting to see Hope kick some butt. I though Ghost was pretty cool and intriguing but i wish we could have gotten more of her? I feel like they could have gone way more in depth with her, like pyschologically or something ya know? That gal was in a constant state of hurt and i wanted to see more of her story.

Captain Marvel - i actually really enjoyed this one? Wasn't expecting to tbh. I enjoyed it the most out of this batch. Carol and fury made a good team, i really enjoyed Talos. Lee pace's character confuses me a bit tho. This takes place a number of years before gotg so why did his personality seem to do a 180? From serious to over-the-top cartoony????

Movies i have left: gotg 2, thor 3, infinity war, endgame, far from home. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Captain Marvel - i actually really enjoyed this one? Wasn't expecting to tbh.

I was the same, it was a pleasant surprise. My only complaint about the movie was the misuse of Just A Girl. It just didn't match the action that was occurring on screen. The song and the action were at two different...tempos. I think that's the word I want. It took me out of the movie, whatever the issue it was creating for me.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Did Pat Benatar refuse to let them use "Invincible" or something? That song would have been PERFECT for that moment.

Pat Benatar's hits were from the wrong decade

• Love 1
On 10/30/2020 at 8:59 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Homecoming- it was...kinda slow? And a little boring??? I didn't have an issue with tony's role in the film but i actually wasn't a fan of all the spidersuit tech stuff. It was too much. Too...techy. Happy seems more grouchy too. He always took his job seriously, but it usually came off in an endearing way. Not so much here. Mvp award goes to Michal Keaton for sure. He was really good. The Vulture was great.

Yeah I'm not sure what they were going for with Happy. I'm assuming an arc where he thinks baby sitting duties are beneath his dignity and new roles and then he ends up coming to care for Peter. Also a convenient way for Peter to feel like he has to solve everything in a SM movie where he has a mentor if Happy won't listen to him in both the good and bad ways that happened.

Antman & wasp - relatively fun. Still like the first one better but i enjoyed getting to see Hope kick some butt. I though Ghost was pretty cool and intriguing but i wish we could have gotten more of her? I feel like they could have gone way more in depth with her, like pyschologically or something ya know? That gal was in a constant state of hurt and i wanted to see more of her story.

I liked Ghost. I liked that she wasn't so much a villain but a person that had an actual grievance and needed help but was going about it in the worst way possible. I would have liked to have gone a bit deeper as well. I do love Hannah John Kamen a lot. 

Thor 2- the less said the better imo. It was plain awful. Chris Eccleston was wasted as the villain in this movie. 😞

It was a worse movie for him than "The Dark is Rising" and that's saying something. He was subbed in at the last minute, but even so the writing was bad and the costume worse. I remember looking at the pap set photos and hoping the Dark Elves would look better with CGI after post production but nope.  Same cheap Halloween masks. 

• Love 1
On 10/30/2020 at 2:38 PM, Bruinsfan said:

And these days when Oliver Jackson-Cohen is considered for a "tough" role, all I can think of is that interview where he described his very intricate morning grooming and skincare regimen. I just can't see Mark Spector worrying about his exfoliant and moisturizer to get ready for a title match or a black ops mission in some tropical jungle.

One of his personalities might.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Dani said:

Marvel's 'Black Panther' Sequel Shoot to Begin in July

The article also includes updates on the other Marvel movies and shows. The next two years are going to be jam packed with MCU content. It will be interesting to see how much longer they are willing to hold Black Widow. 

I really hope that they recast T’Challa/Black Panther. Chadwick(Rest In Power)was a great T’Challa/Black Panther, but his story has barely begun and means so much to many. Black Panther had too much of an impact to not finish the story. 

Also I don’t think that they will put Black Widow off again next year. I am pretty sure that it’s going to stay a theatrical release though, Marvel movies make too much to go straight to Disney+. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Is this a Pitch Perfect thing? Because she blew me away in True Grit.

She was fine in the Pitch Perfect sequels.  There's nothing I can really pinpoint as the reason I don't care for her, but she's just not a favorite.

Man, I wish I liked Jeremy Renner more - or that they cast someone more likeable as Hawkeye - because the Matt Fraction book this show looks to be loosely based on is so much fun. But Renner is just such a charisma vacuum that I don't see how he can ever have the same energy.

As for Hailee Steinfeld, I thought she was good in Bumblebee but haven't seen her in much else (Ender's Game, when she was younger). But she fits the role of Kate Bishop pretty nicely.

• Love 5

The Matt Fraction series is such a bad fit with the established MCU Hawkeye persona. I don't know how they'll make it work.

MCU Hawkeye is a boring but responsible family man who went all Punisher in response to the Snapture and has big guilt on his conscience now since he murdered a bunch of criminals and arguably caused Black Widow's death (according to his own code).

Matt Fraction Hawkeye is a charming fuckup, a lone wolf womanizer who can't keep it together but somehow forges a great platonic mentor relationship with Kate Bishop.

It's a long walk from one to another.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

The Matt Fraction series is such a bad fit with the established MCU Hawkeye persona. I don't know how they'll make it work.

MCU Hawkeye is a boring but responsible family man who went all Punisher in response to the Snapture and has big guilt on his conscience now since he murdered a bunch of criminals and arguably caused Black Widow's death (according to his own code).

Matt Fraction Hawkeye is a charming fuckup, a lone wolf womanizer who can't keep it together but somehow forges a great platonic mentor relationship with Kate Bishop.

Is there any version of Hawkeye that is anywhere close to the MCU version. I only read the first Matt fraction tpb that was free with prime, but I read close to every issue of West coast Avengers back in the day and he is not that guy. He is also not the reformed criminal that Stan Lee created. I have also never seen any indication that he would use Pym particles to get better powers since he thought being a good arrow guy kind of sucked. I mean yea MCU Hawkeye is boring but I am not sure that is all Renner's fault. Even with the most interesting actor ever I think the character still wouldn't be that great.

Also anyone know if Linda Cardellini is going to be in the Hawkeye show. She is way more interesting of an actor than Renner.

Yes, the Ultimates universe Hawkeye is pretty similar to the MCU Hawkeye. The MCU in general I would say drew a lot of inspiration in the "gritty real world" style of the 2000's Ultimates line, especially for The Avengers. Ultimates Hawkeye was a stonefaced family man and SHIELD agent (I think?). 

Honestly, I don't care. I know a lot of people like the version of Hawkeye who is deaf and defends tenants, or the one who is more like Earth Mightiest Heroes, who keeps hiding in vents, but all of those takes can still happen with a follow up Hawkeye.

1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Kate's an opportunity for redemption?

5 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Yes, the Ultimates universe Hawkeye is pretty similar to the MCU Hawkeye. The MCU in general I would say drew a lot of inspiration in the "gritty real world" style of the 2000's Ultimates line, especially for The Avengers. Ultimates Hawkeye was a stonefaced family man and SHIELD agent (I think?). 

And Ultimates Hawkeye ended up being so hilariously angst-ridden and tortured that you'd think he was written by a thirteen year old emo kid.

Post-Dissassembled Hawkeye was probably in a sweet spot between that tortured version and the relatively light version that Fraction wrote. He did the Ronin thing and joined Luke Cage's outlaw Avengers team but he was still recognisably Clint Barton.