Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

Imteresting! Not the place I'd expect to see Kang the Conqueror show up. Ant-Man 3 would be part of Phase 5, right? So still a ways away, though I guess it could get pushed forward into Black Panther 2's slot. Kang's the type of villain that should need an Avengers-like teamup to take down, so I hope the MCU doesn't nerf him so much that Ant-Man and Wasp alone can defeat him (no knock on them, but Kang is leagues above Yellowjacket or Ghost). Or maybe this movie just introduces him, and perhaps Cassie plays a larger role in this film and ultimately spins off into Young Avengers (since the WandaVision trailer suggests we may be seeing Wiccan and Speed soon). If that's the case then maybe we'll see the Iron Lad storyline play out.

• Love 2

Oh, I definitely don't think that could all happen within this film. I was just thinking maybe it'd introduce Cassie as a superhero and Kang as a supervillain and then go on from there in other movies. I was confused why this of all movies would feature Kang, and the only thing I could come up with was if the purpose of this movie is to set up the main thread for Phase 5. But then it doesn't seem like there'd be enough time with Scott, Hope, Janet, and Hank in what's probably their last standalone movie (unless Thor indicates that Marvel's no longer sticking with the "each hero gets a trilogy" rule).

I just really hope they don't waste Kang the Conqueror as a one-and-done, quickly defeated villain. The article states Majors will be a lead, so this doesn't sound like a slow-roll introduction like Thanos was. Or maybe the sources have it wrong and he's playing a completely different character.

Edited by dmeets
  • Love 1

Looking at Twitter I think some in the media is confusing Nathanial Richards the descendant of Reed AKA "Mr. Fantastic" of the Fantastic Four who becomes Kang with Reed's dad who's also named Nathanial Richards.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 1
47 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Does he have a history with Ant-Man is it more that Ant-Man introduced Time Travel in Endgame?

Well, a time-travelling younger version of him romanced Ant-Man’s daughter.

• Useful 1

And there was an absolutely WONDERFUL comic about fifteen years ago where Reed asked Scott to lead a replacement Fantastic Four (consisting of She-Hulk, Medusa, and Johnny's Katy Perry-esque girlfriend Darla) where the ultimate big bad was a Voltron of Doom, Kang, and Annihilus called Doom the Annihilating Conqueror. 

4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I hear Kang, I think Fantastic Four. Does he have a history with Ant-Man is it more that Ant-Man introduced Time Travel in Endgame? I mean I can see the Pym's wanting to explore time travel as part of the Quantum Zone.

It took me a moment to realize. In the MCU you need Pym Particles for time travel, so that would be the connection to Kang. My guess is that he's more likely to be the next Thanos or the next Loki then a one off villain.

(Of course he could be a one off AND an ongoing villain. At this point in the comics it's taken granted that he can't be permanently defeated. He's spent so much of his life time traveling that there's multiple versions of him running around. One Kang's defeat may end up in his death, but another Kang will show up sooner or later).

• Love 1

The introduction of the Young Avengers - Cassie Lang as Stature among them - was tied to Kang (a teenage version of him came back in time and recruited other teens to fight an adult version of him. Time travel, huh?), so it could be part of the plan to bring in a new generation of heroes. We know that Kate Bishop is supposed to be appearing in the Hawkeye miniseries, and I'm sure Wiccan and Speed will appear in some form in the WandaVision one.

The problem for the MCU at the moment is that they've gone so big with Endgame, and run through most of the big villains, that they really don't have many more places to go. Until they reboot the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, they're going to struggle for worthy villains for their heroes to fight.

Kang and Annihilus are really the only 'major' bad guys we haven't yet seen on screen. Sinister too, but he's really an X-Men specific bad guy.

They still have the Kree/Skrull war with the Supreme Intelligence as a major villain, that's one of the biggest iconic Avengers stories and the groundwork is being laid in Captain Marvel.

Also potentially Count Nefaria, though I think that should only be done if they have the Vision back to administer the coup de grâce. I don't want to see Captain Marvel save the day by flying in like a meteor at the last moment again.

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

First thought: Will she be playing all of the characters?

Well they said it will feature a few other Hulks...maybe that's why she was cast. Lol. That and she can pass for Ruffalo's cousin. 

• Love 2

Weirdly, one of my friends was on a Zoom call with Tatiana last night that was hosted by the Toronto Film Festival for a group of about 25 members, and when it came time for audience questions she asked Tatiana about She-Hulk and she said she’s NOT doing it. She said it was just rumours and compared it to a time when there were a bunch of articles about her being cast in Terminator when she hadn’t even auditioned.  

I did find it strange that she didn’t post anything about it or interact with Mark Ruffalo’s tweet welcoming her...

Edited by Trisha
52 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Weirdly, one of my friends was on a Zoom call with Tatiana last night that was hosted by the Toronto Film Festival for a group of about 25 members, and when it came time for audience questions she asked Tatiana about She-Hulk and she said she’s NOT doing it. She said it was just rumours and compared it to a time when there were a bunch of articles about her being cast in Terminator when she hadn’t even auditioned.  

I did find it strange that she didn’t post anything about it or interact with Mark Ruffalo’s tweet welcoming her...

Interesting. It would be very unusual for Deadline to be wrong. I wonder if it’s just the standard denial because it hasn’t been officially announced. I remember Scarlett Johansson refusing to talk about the Black Widow movie because it wasn’t official a month before they started filming. 

Most actors new to Marvel mention having to keep it a secret until the official announcement. 

2 hours ago, Dani said:

Interesting. It would be very unusual for Deadline to be wrong. I wonder if it’s just the standard denial because it hasn’t been officially announced. I remember Scarlett Johansson refusing to talk about the Black Widow movie because it wasn’t official a month before they started filming. 

Yeah I just reread the Deadline article and it was quoting sources and said Marvel wouldn’t comment. If it is still to be announced or she’s still in negotiations, you’d think she’d hedge a bit instead of a flat out “no” though. 

5 hours ago, Trisha said:

Yeah I just reread the Deadline article and it was quoting sources and said Marvel wouldn’t comment. If it is still to be announced or she’s still in negotiations, you’d think she’d hedge a bit instead of a flat out “no” though. 

Actors lie all the time when their not allowed to confirm a role. The fact that she flat out denied actually makes me think she’s lying. Deadline is too reliable to announce something with zero truth behind it. 

42 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Mark Ruffalo tweeted this the other day:

He may just be trusting Deadline's information but the tweet is still there and I assume Marvel would have told him to take it down if it wasn't a done deal.

Ruffalo also has also said he was in negotiations to appear in She Hulk so he probably has someone idea of who they are looking at. 

32 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Does this mean it will be premiering soon? Or at least soonish?

A few days ago Disney confirmed it will premiere this year. December 2020 was the date announced before COVID. 

On 9/17/2020 at 4:41 PM, AimingforYoko said:

It is crazy how much info Disney is putting out about those mini series before a single one has even come out. There is what 7 or 8 different ones that have been announced. That is a lot of heroes to be used for streaming, although I guess in this case the characters can now move back and forth between tv and movies. Plus the next phase of movies has already been put in place and after that is done they will probably do some x-men and probably solo Wolverine movies.

2 hours ago, Dani said:

That looks amazing and crazy. Kitty Foreman having dinner with Wanda and Vision.

• Love 1

With Tatiana I think they are still in negotiations. Meaning they offered her the role and want her for it and they are discussing pay. So it's not a done deal. She won't be able to say anything until she signs the contract. 

WandaVision looks weird and crazy. I'm in. 

Florence Pugh talks about Black Widow, which apparently is going to be deep-diving into the idea of abuse within the Red Room program (and in particular sterilization) that Whedon introduced in Age of Ultron but got a lot of flak for how it was handled:

"One of the most interesting things about the film is how far Cate went with it," Pugh told Total Film. "This film is about the abuse of women. It’s about how they get involuntary hysterectomies by the age of eight. It’s about girls who are stolen from around the world. It’s so painful, and it’s so important."

"Part of the excitement for me is that women and girls from around the world are going to see this, and are going to see an abuse story that really was challenged by its own victims," Pugh continued. "For a Marvel film to be reaching all of those levels, it is so exciting. The best thing about that is, it’s not layered with this colour of grey. You’ll see these women strive and be strong, and they’re assassins – and yet they still need to discuss how they were abused. It’s an incredibly powerful piece."

51 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Disney delays Black Widow, Shang-Chi and Eternals again

Shang-Chi and Eternals have switched places in the release schedule as well.

2020 is over. Very surprised they're keeping Soul in place.

21 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Understandable given the circumstances. At least this way Madden's boyfriend will be able to buy his own booze at the premiere.

What joke am I missing here?

So I was watching Captain Marvel last night and I noticed something weird. The whole big thing the Skrulls were chasing was the light speed engine. But shouldn't outer space aliens already have light speed travel? I mean I know that people flying around space in the MCU generally use the jump points, but how were those set up without travelling at light speed?

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So I was watching Captain Marvel last night and I noticed something weird. The whole big thing the Skrulls were chasing was the light speed engine. But shouldn't outer space aliens already have light speed travel? I mean I know that people flying around space in the MCU generally use the jump points, but how were those set up without travelling at light speed?

I would have to watch again (I know, such a hardship) but wasn't the engine that Mar-Vell was working on to set up a jump point that would get the Skrulls far enough away so that the Kree couldn't finish wiping them out? Because that's why Carol leaves at the end of the movie, so she can help Talos and the other refugees find a safe place.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
because I had it backwards
57 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Been a while since I saw it, but I remember the MCU FTL method being more like a portal network than what we see in most space operas.

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So far the story from Thor who we can say has been alive almost all of humanity's recorded history and if we count the Inhumans the Kree also snuck in and  got around Asgard guarding Midgard, through the Guardians of the Galaxy to the flashback of Captain Marvel have not needed to explain anything to that detail.  Maybe Eternals, featuring folks more Eternal than Asgardians will touch on the issue. But I doubt there will be a MCU version of Stargate Universe to explain the why's and how's the system the space faring races use came about.

23 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Been a while since I saw it, but I remember the MCU FTL method being more like a portal network than what we see in most space operas.

I’ve seen it compared to Stargates. That seems to be pretty consistent with what is in the movies. 

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I don’t know about other species but the Kree seem to move pretty slowly. Most of the Captain Marvel plot happens while Starforce travel 20-something hours to the closest jump point. 

I always assumed that those jump points weren't "set up" but basically naturally occurring "folds" in space, but even if they were, it would be a huge advantage for everyone to be not forced to rely on those jump points and being able to travel from one point to the next however they wanted. And the Skrull basically wanted to a place which would be unreachable for the Kree, the only way to get one of those would be to find one which is not reachable by jump point.