Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

Ah the 90s. Bomber jackets, really big guns, and the 'bad girl' outfits.

You know, the bomber jacket made some sense for Rogue who always had to be covered up anyway. Why not make it cool. Wearing a bomber jacket over a swimsuit? Really, Susan?!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

You know, the bomber jacket made some sense for Rogue who always had to be covered up anyway. Why not make it cool.

I've always thought that Rogue had the best of the "90's" costumes.

Poor Sue on the other hand. I forgot just how bad that costume was.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

I've always thought that Rogue had the best of the "90's" costumes.

Poor Sue on the other hand. I forgot just how bad that costume was.

Rogue's 90s costume was a pretty good look. In fact, Rogue has been fairly lucky in most of her costumes. Much better than the majority of Marvel characters, most of whom have had some very questionable looks.

Funnily enough, both Rogue's bomber jacket uniform and Psylocke's butt-floss were designed by the same man - Jim Lee. I guess he did take their different personalities and powers into account, in some way - Rogue covered up (though Lee loved drawing her in the skimpiest of outfits whenever she wasn't in uniform) and Psylocke being much more brazen, which fit her overtly provocative flirtations with Cyclops.

He also, sadly, designed Jean Grey's peach and navy monstrosity.

His male X-Men faired much better, and some of Lee's designs have become the iconic look for those characters - Gambit, Wolverine, Cyclops.

Edited by Danny Franks

At least he gave Jean a bomber jacket too, which covered a good bit of her awful X-uniform. (Man, when you're looking back with nostalgia for the character's 1960s miniskirt/go-go boots outfit, it says something!)

I really liked Rogue's original outfit, with the attached hood and dark green shiny look. I also liked her with short hair and somewhat severe villainesque features rather than being softened and prettied up to make her palatable as a hero.

• Love 1

I don't know WHY Betsy is wearing a bomber jacket in that particular frame... was it cold? Normally, she just went with the micro-suit and... whatever the straps of unstable molecules were. Jim Lee did design all the 90s looks and they were very hit and miss. Actually, Psylocke's look wasn't horrific at first. When he first debuted it, her butt was covered and the strips were... well, it made for a striking look.

Scott's look was pretty great. Jean's was fucking awful. Rogue's was cool but I really miss her black and green stuff all through the 80s. I don't know, there wasn't much to it, but the green suit over the black head to do and the knee high boots... graphically appealing. But I also rather loved Psylocke's armor, too.

Storm's 90s look was okay but nothing is going to beat her punk look. And as much as her late 80s head to toe black leather in the Australian desert was ridiculous it looked cool as fuck. Jean's X-Factor without the head sock was a good look. I also freaking LOVED her short lived Revolution Phoenix outfit. Now they've got her back in the green minidress from the 70s which I do not get and I rather hate. Come on, people... give her something reasonable!!

• Love 2
On 9/3/2019 at 6:16 PM, Dandesun said:

You know, the bomber jacket made some sense for Rogue who always had to be covered up anyway. Why not make it cool. Wearing a bomber jacket over a swimsuit? Really, Susan?!

I wanted a bomber jacket so bad in the '90s because of Rogue. 😂 

CA_JimLeeXM11.jpg

I always wondered why Jim Lee drew all those little compartments on Scott's utility belt. Like, what the hell is Scott stashing in all those pouches, bruh? Trail mix?

On 9/4/2019 at 11:33 AM, Dandesun said:

Rogue's was cool but I really miss her black and green stuff all through the 80s. I don't know, there wasn't much to it, but the green suit over the black head to do and the knee high boots... graphically appealing.

80s Rogue & Storm were the best looks!

• Love 2
On 9/4/2019 at 5:33 PM, Dandesun said:

Jean's X-Factor without the head sock was a good look. I also freaking LOVED her short lived Revolution Phoenix outfit. Now they've got her back in the green minidress from the 70s which I do not get and I rather hate. Come on, people... give her something reasonable!!

For me, Jean's best outfit would be any colour variation of the Phoenix costume:

7a08a381575370db8ff242e8c860dcca.png.0eee3be0a13cb4057ab561fad851d2f1.png

It was, finally, a strong identity for her character - She had a distinct look, a logo and a presence.

I really didn't like that weird, blue and red armour she wore in X-Men: Red.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:58 AM, Jeebus Cripes said:

I wanted a bomber jacket so bad in the '90s because of Rogue. 😂 

CA_JimLeeXM11.jpg

I always wondered why Jim Lee drew all those little compartments on Scott's utility belt. Like, what the hell is Scott stashing in all those pouches, bruh? Trail mix?

80s Rogue & Storm were the best looks!

Pouches were mandatory in 90s costumes, along with straps and shoulderpads. The more you had, the more badass you were.

But I always wanted a trenchcoat because Gambit wore one. Never did get one, which was probably for the best.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

But I always wanted a trenchcoat because Gambit wore one. Never did get one, which was probably for the best.

I have one. Wool, not leather. Quite heavy. Haven't touched it in 5+ years. I've found lighter ways of keeping myself warm. While it looks cool, it's just a bit impractical.

I have a question. I see on Twitter that the Save Daredevil Campaign is going strong. However, I read somewhere (maybe here) that Disney/Marvel have to wait 2 years before they can re-launch any of the canceled Netflix shows. 

Does anyone know if that 2 years is just for shows or if it's for the characters? Could they use the Netflix characters in supporting roles in the MCU and then bring them back to Disney+ (assuming they even had an interest)?

Edited by Morrigan2575
9 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I have a question. I see on Twitter that the Save Daredevil Campaign is going strong. However, I read somewhere (maybe here) that Disney/Marvel have to wait 2 years before they can re-launch any of the canceled Netflix shows. 

Does anyone know if that 2 years is just for shows or if it's for the characters? Could they use the Netflix characters in supporting roles in the MCU and then bring them back to Disney+ (assuming they even had an interest)?

Netflix can refuse Disney the use of the characters for two years 

18 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

For me, Jean's best outfit would be any colour variation of the Phoenix costume:

7a08a381575370db8ff242e8c860dcca.png.0eee3be0a13cb4057ab561fad851d2f1.png

It was, finally, a strong identity for her character - She had a distinct look, a logo and a presence.

I really didn't like that weird, blue and red armour she wore in X-Men: Red.

Pouches were mandatory in 90s costumes, along with straps and shoulderpads. The more you had, the more badass you were.

ITA about Jean's Phoenix costume. 

The pouches worked on characters like Cable who always had tons of weapons, but when does Scott do anything but blast things with his eyes? Still waiting for that trenchcoat as well. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Raja said:

Netflix can refuse Disney the use of the characters for two years 

Assuming they’d continue with the same actors and show continuities then the 2+ years could be an advantage. Just thinking of Daredevil having a couple years of quiet would be great. They can finally build up the firm, establish their respective personal lives, and just live their lives unaware that the new and improved Bullseye/another threat is coming. Plenty of potential there. 

And due to the snap, they can practically do a restart. But I am not sure if they want to. The interest in the Netflix shows had been waned towards the end, and the new Disney Plus shows might hold way more of the audience interest.

6 hours ago, swanpride said:

And due to the snap, they can practically do a restart. But I am not sure if they want to. The interest in the Netflix shows had been waned towards the end, and the new Disney Plus shows might hold way more of the audience interest.

I always looked at Daredevil and saw Spider-man announcing "on your left" but given other corporate intrigue that is no longer an issue.  The same mini power sets in comparison to an Avenger or Shang Chi would apply to the other Defenders. The Punisher however is probably the top antihero character of his type on the big or little screen the MCU has yet shown us.

Edited by Raja
13 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

ITA about Jean's Phoenix costume. 

The pouches worked on characters like Cable who always had tons of weapons, but when does Scott do anything but blast things with his eyes? Still waiting for that trenchcoat as well. 

Jean's Phoenix costume is one for the ages. It's pretty much perfect.

As for the pouches... yeah, for some it made sense. Weirdly, Gambit never seemed to have much but you know he had to carry those cards somewhere. As for Cyclops... I don't know... maybe he liked gum?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

So far as I can recall he'd just need one compartment for those ruby-quartz sunglasses if he wanted to have peripheral vision. Jim Lee should have given the guy a fanny pack instead of a utility belt.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Raja said:

The Punisher however is probably the top antihero character of his type on the big or little screen the MCU has yet shown us.

He's my favorite of the 4 Netflix shows. I would love to see him show up again in the MCU. However, I don't see much room for him on Disney+. 

Huh...what a coincidence...I posted my own article regarding the future of the MCU a few days ago, in which I was actually playing with the notion of young Avengers, and Hulking was one I mentioned as possibility….I didn't elaborate (because that wasn't the point of the article), but it would actually pretty easy to introduce him with some tweaks to his backstory. After all, Captain Marvel kind of "forgot" one of the Skrulls which went to earth, and I am still not sure if that was an accident or a sneaky set-up. And with WandaVision being planned, Wiccan and Speed are a distinctive possibility, too.

Just some idle thoughts. It is possible, but I would also be careful considering the source. There is no reason to put the hope too high just yet.

On 9/3/2019 at 7:16 PM, Dandesun said:

Back in the aughts (might still be around) there was a hilarious blog that showcased the ridiculous costumes, body proportions etc. that woman in  the comics were saddled with.

The only time I noticed Jean Gray's costume was in the orignal Death of Phoenix run where she changed from her Phoenix costume into her Marvel Girl costume on the day of their fight with the Shi'ar Imperial Guard. That was a really good moment.

9 hours ago, xaxat said:

Back in the aughts (might still be around) there was a hilarious blog that showcased the ridiculous costumes, body proportions etc. that woman in  the comics were saddled with.

I saw an artist depict what it would look like if male superheroes posed like they draw the women, and it was equal parts hysterical and sad. 

I wish I could be more interested in the Hawkeye show, or maybe I wish it was focused on another character altogether? Sorry, I just don't find him all that interesting in the MCU.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
8 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I wish I could be more interested in the Hawkeye show, or maybe I wish it was focused on another character altogether?

It’s starting to sound like it’s going to be more focused on Kate Bishop as the lead character, with Clint in the older mentor position.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

It’s starting to sound like it’s going to be more focused on Kate Bishop as the lead character, with Clint in the older mentor position.

That's good. They can't really make MCU Clint into 616 Clint very easily, but having him be a sidekick to Kate Bishop is as good as we can hope for. She's fun. MCU Clint is the opposite of fun.

I hope her origin remains exactly the same as the comics. She's a normal girl, rich, but normal, who happens to be incredibly good at weapons fighting and foils a hostage situation with archery. That's it. The end.  It'll infuriate the incels.

arrow-1430932746.jpg?quality=.8&height=2

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

That's good. They can't really make MCU Clint into 616 Clint very easily, but having him be a sidekick to Kate Bishop is as good as we can hope for. She's fun. MCU Clint is the opposite of fun.

I hope her origin remains exactly the same as the comics. She's a normal girl, rich, but normal, who happens to be incredibly good at weapons fighting and foils a hostage situation with archery. That's it. The end.  It'll infuriate the incels.

arrow-1430932746.jpg?quality=.8&height=2

Yeah, MCU Clint really doesn't have the charisma or sense of fun that 616 Clint has. They're completely different characters. So I hope Kate is the focus of the show, but they'll have to rejig her a little, as she can't really be playing the straight woman to Clint's chaotic existence.

Kate Bishop was absolutely the best of the Young Avengers, my favourite character, by far, to come out of that book.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Kate Bishop was absolutely the best of the Young Avengers, my favourite character, by far, to come out of that book.

She's definitely the best of the Young Avengers. Which makes the story I remember reading amusing. Apparently she created because the editor wanted a non-legacy character on the team. (Take this with a grain a salt. I remember reading about this, couldn't verify it using google). 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Captain Carrot said:

She's definitely the best of the Young Avengers. Which makes the story I remember reading amusing. Apparently she created because the editor wanted a non-legacy character on the team. (Take this with a grain a salt. I remember reading about this, couldn't verify it using google). 

But...her name is Hawkeye too. I don't get it.

3 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

But...her name is Hawkeye too. I don't get it.

I guess in the sense that she was the only one of the Young Avengers kids who didn't have a familial connection to an established character.

Speed and Wiccan are Wanda's dead kids somehow. Hulkling is Mar-Vell's kid. Patriot is Isaiah Bradley Cap's grandson. Stature is Scott Lang's kid, Vision is ... Vision.

Kate's just a normal (rich) person who got into the superhero game and joined the team.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, swanpride said:

Maybe they switch Role and turn Clint into the straight man for Kate's chaotic personality? Maybe it would be fun to give Kate some of the quirks Clint usually has in the comics.

That would work, i actually enjoyed the Hawkeye/QuickSilver stuff in Ultron and, that's amazing because i generally don't like Pietro (save Peter David's run) or Wanda.

• Love 2

They even could make HER the deaf one. I know that is usually Hawkeye's role, but, well, why limit yourself? Why not exploring the possibilities with another character? I mean, they basically explored his relationship with Mockingbird with Bobby and Hunter....

• Love 1
On 9/10/2019 at 6:34 PM, Danny Franks said:

Yeah, MCU Clint really doesn't have the charisma or sense of fun that 616 Clint has. They're completely different characters.

They really got rid of all of Clint's comic personality and back story other than shoots arrows and has gotten married. I mean he is not a reformed criminal or a cocky joker, he is not super selfconcicous about his lack of powers compared to other avengers, his wife isn't a SHIELD agent and he has never really been a team leader type. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I guess in the sense that she was the only one of the Young Avengers kids who didn't have a familial connection to an established character.

Speed and Wiccan are Wanda's dead kids somehow. Hulkling is Mar-Vell's kid. Patriot is Isaiah Bradley Cap's grandson. Stature is Scott Lang's kid, Vision is ... Vision.

Kate's just a normal (rich) person who got into the superhero game and joined the team.

And Iron Lad was a young Kang. 'Legacy' was the not the best term that I could have used. All of the other characters were either an existing character or related to an existing character. Kate was the only entirely new character.

Remembering Hailee in that great performance as Mattie Ross in the Coen Brothers remake of True Grit and her relationship with Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn, maybe their going for a similar dynamic with Kate and Clint?

Edited by VCRTracking
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

I could only hope that bringing Kate Bishop into the MCU means that America Chavez will be coming, too. Actually, I'd love all the Young Avengers to show up. And, yes, Kid Loki as well.

I can do without most of the Young Avengers, personally. While I liked Kate and, to a lesser extent, Cassie and Wiccan I wasn't too keen on the whole vibe of the team - each one of them was a copy of a previous Avenger. It just didn't work for me. They were pale imitations of the characters they were based on.

And when contrasted with the New X-Men, who came along at a similar time, they just seemed to lack creativity and strong individual identities. Give me Hellion, Surge and Mercury any day.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

I could only hope that bringing Kate Bishop into the MCU means that America Chavez will be coming, too. Actually, I'd love all the Young Avengers to show up. And, yes, Kid Loki as well.

I swore there was a tweet about America Chavez getting a Disney+ Show but, i don't know if that was fact or rumor.

Found it, not official and i have no idea, if this site has any legit claims to inside sources

https://thegww.com/exclusive-marvel-studios-developing-miss-america-series-for-disney/

Edited by Morrigan2575
35 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I can do without most of the Young Avengers, personally. While I liked Kate and, to a lesser extent, Cassie and Wiccan I wasn't too keen on the whole vibe of the team - each one of them was a copy of a previous Avenger. It just didn't work for me. They were pale imitations of the characters they were based on.

And when contrasted with the New X-Men, who came along at a similar time, they just seemed to lack creativity and strong individual identities. Give me Hellion, Surge and Mercury any day.

If you're going to compare Avengers and X-Men I'm going to go with X-Men every time. X-Men are my jam.

I was thinking of the 2013 run of Young Avengers which was more focused on Kate, America, Billy, Teddy, No-Varr and Kid Loki. The others appeared later on but the core was those six and I really enjoyed it. It was weird af but I enjoyed it.

• Love 1