Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

I really hope that the MCU starts to establish powerful beings that aren’t heroes that are just out in the world. Like if Namor has a conflict with Wakanda and it ends in detente, then he returns to Atlantis and from then on he’s just there. Sometimes he’s an ally, sometimes a hindrance, always a factor. Same if they reboot the Fantastic Four if they can establish Doctor Doom. And then some villains can be captured and sent to superprison, some can be at large, some can pop back up in the most inconvenient places. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

. Like if Namor has a conflict with Wakanda and it ends in detente, then he returns to Atlantis and from then on he’s just there. Sometimes he’s an ally, sometimes a hindrance, always a factor. Same if they reboot the Fantastic Four if they can establish Doctor Doom. 

That could work, as long as they make it a conflict driven because he is an asshole. If they make it too much of where he is fighting T'challa to protect his people and has a legitimate problem the I worry it would be too much like Killmonger. Which again is why I would love to see a Joker style crazy psycho bastard like Achebe since I would love to see how movie T'challa deals with someone who is just interested in turning Wakanda into chaos.

• Love 1

In what feels like a bit of a "Oh, she's awesome, but we really didn't do her justice the first time, so lets do this again" move, its rumored that Gemma Chan is in talks to join The Eternals, despite just playing Minn-Erva on Captain Marvel.  Granted, it certainly wouldn't be the first time someone has played two different Marvel characters (Chris Evans, Michael B. Jordan, Mahershala Ali), but I think it would be the first to play two in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Still, I think they'll more than pull it off since I doubt many casual fans even remember Minn-Erva, and probably won't even realize it since she was covered in make-up and whatnot.  After-all, I still hear about people who don't realize that Karen Gillian is Nebula, and it blows their mind when they find out that Nebula and Amy Pond are the same person!  Hell, they'd probably could have Zoe Saldana play a human character, and some wouldn't know that she plays Gamora.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

In what feels like a bit of a "Oh, she's awesome, but we really didn't do her justice the first time, so lets do this again" move, its rumored that Gemma Chan is in talks to join The Eternals, despite just playing Minn-Erva on Captain Marvel.  Granted, it certainly wouldn't be the first time someone has played two different Marvel characters (Chris Evans, Michael B. Jordan, Mahershala Ali), but I think it would be the first to play two in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Sore point since the Netflix shows are supposed to be  MCU and Ali played Cottonmouth on Luke Cage

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Granted, it certainly wouldn't be the first time someone has played two different Marvel characters (Chris Evans, Michael B. Jordan, Mahershala Ali), but I think it would be the first to play two in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It’s happened a few times in the MCU. The actress who play Meredith Quill is a Captain America fan in First Avenger, Cumberbath as Doctor Strange and Dormammu, Vision and Jarvis, Martin Starr in Hulk and Spider-Man and a few others. Chris Hemsworth and Taika Waititi even had a small secondary role in Ragnorak. 

Edited by Guest

If I'm not mistaken, Gemma Chan is one of Richard Madden's closest friends. He may have suggested her for a yet-to-be-cast role, or supported her selection if Marvel was already considering her.

Of course, she's also riding a wave of positive reviews and increased prominence from Crazy Rich Asians, is ethnically Chinese (Which has got to be a plus in today's international market), and if you're casting characters that were mistaken for gods there are few people who look the part more, so it's also entirely possible she's closing in on the role entirely on her own without needing an "in."

• Love 1
15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Still, I think they'll more than pull it off since I doubt many casual fans even remember Minn-Erva, and probably won't even realize it since she was covered in make-up and whatnot.  After-all, I still hear about people who don't realize that Karen Gillian is Nebula, and it blows their mind when they find out that Nebula and Amy Pond are the same person!  Hell, they'd probably could have Zoe Saldana play a human character, and some wouldn't know that she plays Gamora.

I have absolutely no problem with them recasting Gemma Chan. She is awesome, and while I though Minn-Erva was a cool character, they definitely killed her off.

And yeah, the fact she was also in full blue makeup for Captain Marvel means it shouldn't be a problem at all. As I was watching the movie, I was bugged by how familiar she was, but didn't realise it was Gemma until I looked at the cast when I got home.

But I do wish it was in a movie I have more interest in than The Eternals.

• Love 3

The Eternals is a weird one because while its not a property I know much about or had any obvious interest in, yet the cast is increasingly excellent and filled with actors that I really like and I think would do great in the MCU (even if its the second time!) and the concept seems like it could add a lot of cool elements into the mythology, especially with the MCU in a bit of a turning point and increasingly exploring more out there concepts, I think they are selling me on it. 

It is really interesting to me watching some of the older MCU movies (Iron Man, Thor) because there was such an emphasis on everything being as realistic as possible in a comic book setting (it was very much a post Nolan Batman world of gritty realistic Superheroes) while keeping a lighter tone, while now its just a big comic book free for all with magic and aliens of all kinds and secret worlds and all kinds of comic book craziness. When you watch Iron Man, its funny that the only really fantastical element is probably Tony staying alive because of a car battery on his chest which leads to his suite. The rest of the world is quite realistic and deals with very real down to earth threats like terrorists and corrupt businessmen. Its probably when the first Thor movie went really hard on the "its not really magic, its just alien science!" thing, because for some reason people think that people will accept fake space science and aliens more than magic and gods, even though the way its presented they might as well be one and the same, which we find out they pretty much are later. But as the franchise went on, they just continued to add more fantastical elements to the universe, making it more acceptable to a mainstream audience, so by the time they mad magic battles and time travel and they put more emphasis on Thor and his families being magical gods as being advanced tech space aliens, and talking trees and raccoons, it all seemed like a natural progression of this universe and as we keep exploring, we keep finding new things. So now we have stuff like The Eternals and so much of the other wild stuff on the slate, and its crazy to think it all started with just a guy with a power suite. I think it was Tony or Nick who said in Endgame, calling back a line from the first Avengers, that when they realized they weren't alone in the universe, they had no clue how right they were, and its still coming!

• Love 3

I liked Gaiman's run on the Eternals. Kirby's run was a bit of a mess -- intriguing, but a mess.

But neither run gives me an idea how the Eternals are to be incorporated into the MCU. Is the movie going to be a self-contained one shot? If they continue past their initial appearance, will they remain earth-bound and interact with the Avengers, or will they be sent into space and become part of the cosmic side of the MCU?

Edited by clack
21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So now we have stuff like The Eternals and so much of the other wild stuff on the slate, and its crazy to think it all started with just a guy with a power suite. I think it was Tony or Nick who said in Endgame, calling back a line from the first Avengers, that when they realized they weren't alone in the universe, they had no clue how right they were, and its still coming!

Was it this part from Tony's message in case he died?

"God, what a world. Universe now. If you told me 10 years ago that we weren't alone, let alone you know to this extent... I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised. But come on, you know. That epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And for better or worse, that's the reality Morgan's going to find a way to grow up in."

I just hope that even with all the incredible new fantastical elements they continue to introduce that the MCU still remains "The World Outside Your Window". I love that they felt real without having to feel gritty or, alternatively, too outlandish. A talking raccoon as a concept is ridiculous but Rocket isn't.

• Love 3

A talking raccoon as a concept is ridiculous but Rocket isn't.

I love Rocket, he's my favorite character.

Spoiler

If I were Bucky, I'd be pretty pissed about Steve living the apple pie life while he was being tortured by Hydra all those years.

• LOL 1

I didn't mind him either. He was the narrative character into Wakanda.  Without him, you lose the sense of wonder he gets when he experiences their technology.  All the other good guys already know everything therefore wouldn't be surprised by anything. I think it works good for the story to add to feeling of the movie and his reactions were great.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Avengers 5 may be A vs X.

For non-comic book fans: A vs X.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

No no no. Marvel people DO NOT just get the rights to the X-Men back and then tell the story of when your company was trying to flush them down the toilet.

And for the love of all things holy and unholy, STEP AWAY FROM THE PHOENIX!! No one can do that right on the big screen. Just STOP IT.

The only thing good about A vs X was the Avengers Babies vs X-Babies with little Scottie stealing Bucky Bear and Lil Cap assembling the Avengers.

To be fair, lil Phoenix shows up and makes Scottie give Bucky Bear back.

That is the only AvX I will accept.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Anduin said:

God I hope not. That was a terrible story. When you adapt a terrible story into a movie, you get a terrible movie. Look at Age of Ultron and Civil War.

giphy.gif

Agree about A vs. X, though.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Dandesun said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

No no no. Marvel people DO NOT just get the rights to the X-Men back and then tell the story of when your company was trying to flush them down the toilet.

And for the love of all things holy and unholy, STEP AWAY FROM THE PHOENIX!! No one can do that right on the big screen. Just STOP IT.

The only thing good about A vs X was the Avengers Babies vs X-Babies with little Scottie stealing Bucky Bear and Lil Cap assembling the Avengers.

All of this. A vs X was a badly conceived attempt to redo Civil War, because "heroes fighting heroes sells books!" And like most Marvel events of recent years, it was bloated and borderline incoherent.

I don't mind the appearance of mutants in the MCU being initially seen as a threat, because that's how Marvel have always had societies view mutants. So if Rhodey and Wanda and Falcon Cap are involved in trying to figure out who these new, superpowered characters are, that's fine. That makes sense, and if Marvel want to hype 'ooh, will they fight?' then it's just marketing.

But I'd much rather a movie that focuses almost entirely on mutants, with maybe a cameo or two from other MCU characters. I honestly don't know how they're planning to introduce mutants without rehashing Xavier's story and the original five X-Men, but I'd much rather they find a novel approach that doesn't involve me being asked to care about Cyclops and Wolverine again.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Hehe, i remember the X-Babies...they were from Mojo World, right?  That actually sounds adorable, bad Lil Scottie 🙂

I wasn't reading during the A v X storyline but, since that was basically Marvel trying to kill the X Property in favor of Inhumans not sure it'll play in the MCU.  Of course, MCU has done quite well these past 10 years, i'm willing to give them the benefit of "wait and see".

That being said, not sure i trust rumors this far out.

I will say that Jonathan Hickman wrote the one brilliant issue of Avengers vs X-Men.  Issue #6 where the Phoenix Five (X-Men) basically disarm the entire world and declare peace, which leads to individuals like Beast and T'Challa wondering what their role is in the world anymore.  It was the kind of high-concept storytelling that Hickman is so good at.

Wow if this is true I can't wait to see hubris bite Sony in the ass. You finally get Spider-Man right onscreen and now you're letting a billion dollar movie, that you only achieved because of Kevin Feige and the MCU, go to your head.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I wonder if someone floated this to get public push back to force the other side to make a deal?

I hope so. Surely Sony can't be this stupid? We'll probably get the definitive answer this weekend.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I hope so. Surely Sony can't be this stupid? We'll probably get the definitive answer this weekend.

They might be. The guy now in charge at Sony had a very bad superhero track record at Fox (X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Electra). He’s also the idiot who blocked Deadpool

sick infinity war GIF

Edited by Guest
13 minutes ago, Dani said:

They might be. The guy now in charge at Sony had a very bad superhero track record at Fox (X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Electra). He’s also the idiot who blocked Deadpool

sick infinity war GIF

Cripes... that's a hell of a track record. Nice knowing you, Peter.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Dani said:

That guy is in charge now? Wow! I remember watching a video on how badly he screwed up at FOX. 😕

• Love 1

Could Ryan Gosling Be Joining Thor: Love and Thunder?

It's clear that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has no issue churning out heroes. Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, and Tom Holland, among others, have all gone into the world at a certain level of fame (or lack thereof), and come out the other end a superstar.

The MCU's villains and key side characters, on the other hand, have consistently been of an extremely high quality. Starting with Jeff Bridges in the very first Iron Man, through to Jeff Goldblum and Cate Blanchett in Thor: Ragnarok, Michael B. Jordan in Black Panther, and even Josh Brolin and Jake Gyllenhaal in Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home this year, Kevin Feige has done a great job consistently wrangling great talent to appear alongside those heroes.

So, when Taika Waititi, who directed Ragnarok and will return to direct 2021's Thor: Love and Thunder, was spotted having lunch with Ryan Gosling—yes, Ryan Gosling of The Notebook, La La Land, The Big Short, and so on—people took notice.

• Love 2

I was sad when I read the news about Spiderman. Honestly, I think it's a huge mistake on Sony's part. The reason the newest Spiderman movie did so well as it was coming off of Endgame. I think without the MCU, there will less motivation to go see it. Also how are they going to keep Tom Holland's character and not reference his past? Unless they are just going to start over, which would suck given the cliffhanger of the last one. I hope that they can come up with some sort of deal, or Disney buys him. At the same time it's kind of scary that they really could.

• Love 3

I wonder...

Do they just have to not mention Spider Man from now on? Pretend he doesn't exist?

Do they "kill him off" in some way?

Can they reference him without showing him? "Where's Spider-Man?" "He's grounded."

22 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I wonder...

Do they just have to not mention Spider Man from now on? Pretend he doesn't exist?

Can they reference him without showing him? "Where's Spider-Man?" "He's grounded."

Marvel gave themselves a pretty good out with the Far From Homes mid-credit scene. 

Spoiler

After being outed as Spider-Man Peter can go into hiding leaving the potential to bring him back in the future. 

They probably won’t be able to use “Spider-Man” or Peter Parker but they can elude to him or just use his first name. 

47 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I wonder...

Or there are no Avengers announced for the next phase just the probable prequel of Black Widow and Thor out in the galaxy.. You will have the Disney + miniseries  and as long as they stay out of the friendly neighborhoods of NYC no reason for a mention or a question about the kid.

Just heard the news about Spider-Man.  While I understand some of the "Someone finally isn't just bending to Disney's will" remarks I've seen elsewhere, I'm still disappointed that this could be the last of MCU's Spider-Man.  In my opinion, he is easily the best live adaptation version of Peter Parker, and I frankly don't trust Sony to handle him properly.  Sure, I give them some leeway since they at least apparently didn't meddle with Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and it was freaking amazing, but their track record just isn't... good.  And this is someone who was actually entertained by Venom, but I really don't know want Spider-Man involved in that!

For now, I'll cling to the hope that maybe this is just a stall/negotiation tactic and something will get worked out, but if not, I'm sad this is it for him and I really feel bad for Tom Holland, who clearly loves the roles and seems excited to continue with it.  Even if they do rehire him (I have no idea, at this point) and all of the supporting players, I just don't see it being the same.   

• Love 3

It seems like Sony wanted to continue the original deal, but Disney wanted a bigger cut of the money. So for once, it might not be Sony we need to blame there.

Let's wait and see. I don't think the last word is spoken there.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, swanpride said:

It seems like Sony wanted to continue the original deal, but Disney wanted a bigger cut of the money. So for once, it might not be Sony we need to blame there.

Let's wait and see. I don't think the last word is spoken there.

They’re probably both to blame. But whenever one side tries to place all the blame on the other side I tend to get skeptical. I do think that these stories are more game playing than definitive news.

I also noticed how much of the original story and Sony’s statement focuses specifically of Feige. I wonder if the money is less of a sticking point then Sony’s plans for the rest Spiderverse. I saw one story that claims the whole dispute is over producer credit since Feige unofficially worked in Sony’s non-MCU Spider-Man films. 

Edited by Guest