Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

John Krasinski as a superhero simply doesn't work for me. I don't even buy him as Jack Ryan. 

I like him as Jack Ryan and was impressed that he was able to make me not really see Jim Halpert too much on that show. But even so I am not sure I could see him playing the smartest person in the world 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Raja said:

As I remember the comics the lead was not a supernatural fighter, meaning I expect to see more of The Raid, John Wick or Enter the Dragon than Crouching Tiger fighting if they are following the legacy comics 

That works for me. I love John Wick and the fight sequences are stellar. If Shang-Chi goes on that direction I will be very interested

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I’m so excited for these up and coming Marvel movies. Yeah I want more Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Fantastic 4 and X-Men. 

But the next 10 movies/Tv shows sound great IMO. 

Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness sounds so awesome. I liked the first movie enough but this one will have my Wanda/Scarlet Witch in it who is also my favorite character. I love magic and witches/sorcerers etc... and the multiverse is so weird plus it will be Marvel’s first horror movie. This is my most anticipated phase 4 movie. 

The Enternals is going to be very important to the MCU going forward from what I hear. There is not a lot of material for this property so Marvel can do anything that they want and I hope they go all out. The cast is also very unique and different. I also heard that this is where they will introduce the Mutants plus Atlantis so I’m very very excited. I have also heard nothing but great things about the director.  

Black Widow is something I’m looking forward to also. It’s a spy movie without all the magic and cosmic stuff. I love spy movies and I have always liked Natasha’s stories. I’m excited for the backstory and to meet the other amazing women in this movie. 

Shang-Chi is Marvel’s greatest hand to hand fighter and some would argue in comics period. I love this character and kung fu movies are some of my favs. I like what I see right now and really excited. I hope the movie has great action/hand to hand fight scenes. 

Thor: Love and Thunder I don’t know how to feel about this one honestly. I love Thor, Jane, Valkyrie and the Thor mythology,but Tikita needs to be a wild card and do something amazing. Regardless I’m looking forward to this one. 

I look forward to seeing new and old characters back in this next wave of movies. I love the new genres that we will see and I hope they are amazing. I’m also looking forward to the Disney Plus shows like WandaVision, The Falcon and Winter Soldier, Loki and Hawkeye. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Simu Liu talks about being cast to play Shang-Chi.

He seems very charismatic and affable. One of the priorities for the MCU appears to be casting people who are good to work with, and who will be positive and receptive to the attentions that come with being in the MCU.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3
(edited)

I had never heard of Simu Liu before so I liked watching the interview. He is cool yet in awe at the same time. I liked how he talked about how hard his parents worked and that now they realize that he has made it and aren't worried about him any more.

Even if Shang-Chi turns out to be an average MCU movie, it is going to make buckets of money in Asia. Most people in the U.S. don't realize how big an actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai is.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Even if Shang-Chi turns out to be an average MCU movie, it is going to make buckets of money in Asia. Most people in the U.S. don't realize how big an actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai is.

I had to look him up, he has quite the resume. Sadly, I've only ever seen one of his movies, Hero with Jet Li.

The more I hear about Shang-Chi (movie) the more I like. I'm hoping this will be the Phase 4 GotG.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I had to look him up, he has quite the resume. Sadly, I've only ever seen one of his movies, Hero with Jet Li.

I haven't see most of his movies, but he is an amazingly talented actor has been in classics. Like Hard Boiled with Chow Yun-fat John Woo's most perfect action movie, imo, and then there is Infernal Affairs which was remade as the rubbish, The Departed with Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio. But my favorite of his movies that I have seen is Wong Kar-wai's In the Mood for Love with the fabulous Maggie Cheung. I have that movie on DVD and have watched it so many times. I also like Happy Together, but not as much. I can't wait to see him as the Mandarin in Shang-Chi

Edited by SimoneS
On 7/28/2019 at 9:14 PM, SimoneS said:

I can't wait to see him as the Mandarin in Shang-Chi

Back when Iron Man 3 came out, there was all this talk about how they couldn't have an Asian actor play the Mandarin because it was offensive.  What's changed?

57 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Back when Iron Man 3 came out, there was all this talk about how they couldn't have an Asian actor play the Mandarin because it was offensive.  What's changed?

What's changed is that he's in a movie with an almost (if not entirely) Asian cast.  In Iron Man it would have been white guy versus Asian with no other Asian representation.  Here, since the main cast is Asian, you can get away with Mandarin since it isn't the only main Asian character we see.

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Well, this is one of the fan wishes/theories, so I need more than a rumour.

Yep, just a rumor for now. It interested me because of the tweets/replies. I never would have thought about it since Wakanda is in Africa and, IIRC a landlocked country. However T'Challa vs Namor has history in the comics. Plus several tweets pointed to Okoye's line in Endgame about an Earthquake could have been a hint/foreshadowing for Namor/Atlantis

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, clack said:

Marvel doesn't have the rights to Namor -- I believe Avi Arad does.

According to Wikipedia:

By June of 2014, it was confirmed that the film rights to Namor, have returned to Marvel. Kevin Feige explained that though the rights are held by Marvel Studios, there are a number of contracts and arrangements that need to be resolved. Later he clarified, that the film rights to the character are "complicated" with Universal holding distribution rights.

It sounds like the same issue they have with the Hulk, Universal owns the rights to a solo movie but Marvel can use the character. 

Namor's been rumored to be the villain in BP 2 basically since BP came out, I hope it happens. And making him an antagonist would help to differentiate him from Aquaman (I wonder if they'll change the name of Atlantis) to the GP.

That same site has this article:

One of our industry insiders has told us that Henry Golding, star of Crazy Rich Asians, is being eyed for the role. Specifically, Disney wants to tap Golding to play Namor, a human-mermaid hybrid of sorts who was one of Marvel’s first anti-heroes. In fact, there’s a theory going around that the MCU has already teased Namor in the past.

Take it with a grain of salt, of course.

Edited by JessePinkman

Namor is a great character, with a lot of complexity and depth. I'd hate to see him reduced to a one-note villain, so if he does appear in Black Panther 2, I hope they do him justice.

So either Marvel would have to depart from their usual formula of having a big, final showdown with the villain, or they'll need to add another antagonist who ends up being the big bad.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, xaxat said:

From Avengers Endgame

Okoye: Nat, it is an earthquake under the ocean. We will handle it by not handling it.

yeah , that's the line people say is foreshadowing Namor/Atlantis

36 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Namor is a great character, with a lot of complexity and depth. I'd hate to see him reduced to a one-note villain, so if he does appear in Black Panther 2, I hope they do him justice.

So either Marvel would have to depart from their usual formula of having a big, final showdown with the villain, or they'll need to add another antagonist who ends up being the big bad.

Working on the assumption this rumor is correct, i would think they could go the Loki route with Namor.  I know not everyone is a fan but, he's a decently complex villain/anti-hero/hero (I think Loki died a hero and 2012 Loki is the currently alive, like Gamora).

This would also work out, if the information about Namor being like Hulk is true, where MCU can use Namor in movies but, not in solo Namor movies.  So Namor is villain in Black Panther 2, then maybe has a slight turn for the better at the end, so he goes the anti-hero path in subsequent MCU movies.  

As late as April 2018 Fiege was saying that the rights to Namor were "complicated" -- implication being they were not as clear cut as the Hulk's.

That said, with so much money to be made, I imagine whatever contractual holdups there might be can be ironed out.

And for a Wakanda vs. another nation plot, that would seem to narrow the choices down to Namor/Atlantis or Doom/Latveria. 

Granted, I don't read the comics--Marvel or DC. I have a few graphic novels.

That said. I did read the Spiderman strip that was printed in The Washington Post when I was a kid and into young adulthood. I remember one story line where Peter

was in Atlantis? And wasn't Namor in their? But he wasn't a....villain? Or was he? I just remember blonde bimbo reporter Dolly was there with him and discovered his secret when she saw him use his webbing. I remember MJ thinking that maybe she meant more to Peter than Peter admitted after he'd returned and there was another story line where Peter was distracted.

Man! I LOVED that strip! So I don't know if Namor's character has changed in the past 20 years or so.

Namor's pretty much an antihero. Sometimes good, sometimes villainous, mostly self-involved, only caring about himself and the citizens of Atlantis. Until he doesn't. Someone else can elaborate on his conflict with Wakanda, I'm not sure what it was about.

All I know is that he flooded Wakanda, I don't know what they'd have him do now since the country is landlocked in the MCU. Maybe he'll attack from underground thus explaining the earthquakes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Granted, I don't read the comics--Marvel or DC. I have a few graphic novels.

That said. I did read the Spiderman strip that was printed in The Washington Post when I was a kid and into young adulthood. I remember one story line where Peter

Reveal spoiler

was in Atlantis? And wasn't Namor in their? But he wasn't a....villain? Or was he? I just remember blonde bimbo reporter Dolly was there with him and discovered his secret when she saw him use his webbing. I remember MJ thinking that maybe she meant more to Peter than Peter admitted after he'd returned and there was another story line where Peter was distracted.

Man! I LOVED that strip! So I don't know if Namor's character has changed in the past 20 years or so.

Namor tends to be an antihero most of the time - one who is a thoroughly arrogant arsehole. He has a long history with the Fantastic Four (including a neverending lust for Sue Storm), and more recently spent time as a sort of ally of the X-Men (he's often referred to as the world's first Mutant).

He was first introduced in the Golden Age as a villain, but soon became a hero who fought Nazis. He has a long history with Captain America, at least some of which was retconned in, but in current Marvel continuity he was friends with Cap, Bucky and their other wartime allies.

As far as I know, his dealings with Wakanda have only been introduced recently. Apparently, in the Avengers vs X-Men event (which I didn't read because Marvel's obsession with trying to recreate Civil War all the time is really tiresome) he was on the side of the X-Men and flooded Wakanda with a tidal wave. Which I guess was a callback to his very early appearances where he threatened to flood New York with a tidal wave.

One of my very favourite Namor appearances was in Winter Kills, a Winter Soldier one-shot that focused on Bucky's first Christmas since breaking free from his programming - living under the radar during Civil War.

It captures his arrogance and his otherness, but still manages to establish that he does have affection and respect for other people, if they earn it. One of the best lines being, "I'm not unhappy that you're not dead."

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I was really hoping that the villain would be Achebe. With Wakanda opening its borders a bunch of refugees coming into the country post snap could make for an interesting story.

1 hour ago, clack said:

As late as April 2018 Fiege was saying that the rights to Namor were "complicated" -- implication being they were not as clear cut as the Hulk's.

That said, with so much money to be made, I imagine whatever contractual holdups there might be can be ironed out

That is sort of the thing, money is a great way to de-complicate things anr Marvel has a shitload of money. Plus I am sure any other studio that has rights to random characters must be seeing how successful the Tom Holland spidey movies have been.

44 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

As far as I know, his dealings with Wakanda have only been introduced recently. Apparently, in the Avengers vs X-Men event (which I didn't read because Marvel's obsession with trying to recreate Civil War all the time is really tiresome) he was on the side of the X-Men and flooded Wakanda with a tidal wave. Which I guess was a callback to his very early appearances where he threatened to flood New York with a tidal wave.

One of my very favourite Namor appearances was in Winter Kills, a Winter Soldier one-shot that focused on Bucky's first Christmas since breaking free from his programming - living under the radar during Civil War.

It captures his arrogance and his otherness, but still manages to establish that he does have affection and respect for other people, if they earn it. One of the best lines being, "I'm not unhappy that you're not dead."

There was a storyline in Black Panther Volume 3 that involved Namor. I don't remember the details but it was basically a thing with Panther Namor and Magneto and the panther trying to stop a world war between the other two's countries.

As for Namor being the villain I hope it is a real villain, not some bullshit where he starts out as the villain then by the 3rd act he has to team up with the Panther to fight an even worse villain. Then after the fight they become reluctant friends.

If we get Namor, do we think Namorita and the New Warriors are possible? I used to read that title back in the 90s (Marvel Boy, Firestar, Night Thrasher, Nova and Namorita). I also picked it up again in the 2000's when Jubilee was the Team Leader (Night Thrasher, Wondra/Jubilee, Chamber/Decibel and a few other depowered mutants)

Edited by Morrigan2575
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

As for Namor being the villain I hope it is a real villain, not some bullshit where he starts out as the villain then by the 3rd act he has to team up with the Panther to fight an even worse villain. Then after the fight they become reluctant friends.

Whereas I hope that’s EXACTLY what happens! Haha I don’t know, I just think he’s a great antihero, the MCU needs some of them to spice things up. Right now everyone is pretty damn unquestionably heroic.

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

If we get Namor, do we think Namorita and the New Warriors are possible? I used to read that title back in the 90s (Marvel Boy, Firestar, Night Thrasher, Nova and Namorita). I also picked it up again in the 2000's when Jubilee was the Team Leader (Night Thrasher, Wondra/Jubilee, Chamber/Decibel and a few other depowered mutants)

Wasn’t there a New Warriors series greenlit for Freeform? I haven’t heard anything about it since they cast an actress from a Boost Mobile (I think) commercial as Squirrel Girl.

• Love 1

I don't think that you would need a second villain. You could, for example, make the movie about some sort of catastrophe which needs to be prevented, have Black Panther and Namor go up against each other how or if the catastrophe should be prevented and then have them team up in the last minute. Then you have your big action set-piece towards the end without the need to a villain.

11 minutes ago, swanpride said:

I don't think that you would need a second villain. You could, for example, make the movie about some sort of catastrophe which needs to be prevented, have Black Panther and Namor go up against each other how or if the catastrophe should be prevented and then have them team up in the last minute. Then you have your big action set-piece towards the end without the need to a villain.

I just think the whole thing where the hero teams up with someone they initially thought was the villain to take one a bigger threat is such a cliche that has been done so many times. I mean if anything Ryan Coogler and his writer shouldn't be borrowing plot points from Spider-man 3 just as a matter of principle. If they want to turn Namor into a hero save it for his 2nd movie.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Wasn’t there a New Warriors series greenlit for Freeform? I haven’t heard anything about it since they cast an actress from a Boost Mobile (I think) commercial as Squirrel Girl.

There was but it looks to be dead after Freeform decided not to air it. Marvel was supposed to be looking for a new network but that was two years ago. 

I wonder about the future of Marvel TV....since AoS is about to end and the Defenders show have already ended, the only shows which will be left are Runaways and Cloak and Dagger - and there has been no news about the future of either of them either. I fear Cloak and Dagger won't be renewed (which would be a shame).

With all the Disney Plus shows it looks as if Feige wants to put Marvel TV under his control, too. Maybe minus the animated shows.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, swanpride said:

I wonder about the future of Marvel TV....since AoS is about to end and the Defenders show have already ended, the only shows which will be left are Runaways and Cloak and Dagger - and there has been no news about the future of either of them either. I fear Cloak and Dagger won't be renewed (which would be a shame).

With all the Disney Plus shows it looks as if Feige wants to put Marvel TV under his control, too. Maybe minus the animated shows.

Ghost Rider and Helstrom are coming to Hulu next year. 

I like Namor, so I wouldn’t want him to be a outright villain in Black Panther. He’s such a complex character and deserves better and I hope if he is in the next BP that Marvel doesn’t take him to the point of no return by killing innocents. 

Namor is Marvel’s first character. Comics first anti hero, Marvel’s first mutant, the first comic character to fly, etc... He’s important and deserves the right treatment not reduced to a villain. 

• Love 2

I can't believe I forgot about Ghost Rider. (I have the feeling that he will turn up again at least one time before AoS ends).

Count me in as wanting Namor to be an antagonist and anti-hero, not outright villain. They managed with the Ghost, they surely will manage with him, too.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, swanpride said:

I can't believe I forgot about Ghost Rider. (I have the feeling that he will turn up again at least one time before AoS ends).

Count me in as wanting Namor to be an antagonist and anti-hero, not outright villain. They managed with the Ghost, they surely will manage with him, too.

I doubt it will be Robbie Reyes though with his own show coming . At least 4 Ghost Riders were seen during his Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D pod.

Namor as a straight up villain would definitely be a waste of a character that has a ton of potential on the big screen. He's far more interesting than Loki, in terms of his backstory and his personality, so I struggle to see the MCU confining him to a one-off, bad guy appearance.

As for Ghost Rider? Possibly the goofiest, cheesiest, 'edgy' character that Marvel ever created. I'm fine with never seeing him appear in anything. He's been in Agents of SHIELD? Well that seems like the perfect place for a character that silly.

Of the as-yet unannounced Marvel characters, I'm really only interested in what plans they eventually come up with for the X-Men. They've always been my favourite Marvel property, and seeing them finally used properly would be great.