Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, festivus said:

I don't know how to feel about this news! I loved Ragnarok but I was also looking forward to seeing Thor with the Guardians. It's probably for the best though because I think James Gunn already had his Guardians Three story done before he got fired and he probably didn't have Thor in it. 

Gunn said back a couple of months ago that Thor wasn't in GOTG3.

13 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Gunn said back a couple of months ago that Thor wasn't in GOTG3.

Unless I missed something he’s only said that it wouldn’t be called Asgardians of the Galaxy. 

Well I haven't been keeping up with things like I used to, so the last thing I remember is reading that he already had his Guardians 3 story written before he got fired. I think it was his brother Sean that said that.

If Gunn already had the screenplay written, I guess I can understand Marvel opting to go with it and switch things around. They're probably pushing Guardians 3 back, to get Thor 4 out first. But that makes me think we'll get the Guardians in Thor 4, for at least the first part of it. Waititi will want to play with those characters for a few scenes, if he's allowed.

But my main wish? Sif returning from limbo, and being a significant part of the movie. Jaime Alexander was already underused in the first two movies, before being unavailable for the third. No resurrecting dead characters to fill out the cast. No Heimdall or Warriors Three or Skurj. Give us Sif, Balder, Kelda and maybe the Enchantress as a villain.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Doesn't mean the Guardians couldn't show up in Thor 4.

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. The chances of any two parties bumping into each other are pretty slim. Unless the writer says so, of course. 🙂

I'd rather keep them separate, but it's not my call.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

But my main wish? Sif returning from limbo, and being a significant part of the movie. Jaime Alexander was already underused in the first two movies, before being unavailable for the third. No resurrecting dead characters to fill out the cast. No Heimdall or Warriors Three or Skurj. Give us Sif, Balder, Kelda and maybe the Enchantress as a villain.

Yes, please. Pretty please! I really hate how poorly used Sif was in the previous Thor movies. 

• Love 7

Waititi could do for Captain Marvel what he did for Thor -- turn an incompletely realized character into a vivid, entertaining one. For that reason, I think it would be cool to have Carol Danvers appear in Thor #4 in '21, before returning to her own franchise in, presumably, 2022.

Feige did say he wanted Danvers to be the new face of the MCU, much like Tony Stark was when he showed up not only in his own trilogy and in the Avengers, but also in Captain America and Spider-Man movies.

But the cynic in me suspects that folks would complain on feminist grounds about Captain Marvel being "reduced" to a co-starring role in a Thor movie.

Still, how is she to take the place of Tony Stark as the "star" of the MCU if she can only appear in her own franchise films every 3 or 4 years?

49 minutes ago, clack said:

But the cynic in me suspects that folks would complain on feminist grounds about Captain Marvel being "reduced" to a co-starring role in a Thor movie.

Maybe they would if Captain Marvel 2 wasn't being made. Complaints, I'm sure, would come from the opposite corner - baby men who can't handle either a woman as the leading face of the MCU, or an actress who dared express views that upset them.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, clack said:

Waititi could do for Captain Marvel what he did for Thor -- turn an incompletely realized character into a vivid, entertaining one. For that reason, I think it would be cool to have Carol Danvers appear in Thor #4 in '21, before returning to her own franchise in, presumably, 2022.

Feige did say he wanted Danvers to be the new face of the MCU, much like Tony Stark was when he showed up not only in his own trilogy and in the Avengers, but also in Captain America and Spider-Man movies.

Still, how is she to take the place of Tony Stark as the "star" of the MCU if she can only appear in her own franchise films every 3 or 4 years?

No matter what they do with Captain Marvel someone will complain. 

Having Carol in Thor 4 would be fun but I’d prefer if they fill in her backstory before we see her in the post-Endgame world. That 20+ years is a huge part of her character and will probably be big part of phase 4. 

I have no problem with the notion of Carol in Thor 4, but I don't think that there is anything "incomplete" about her character either. She is great the way she is, and I really, really don't want Waititi to turn her into some sort of joke.

Carol doesn't need "fixing", there are a lot of people who adore the character the way she is now.

• Love 9
(edited)

I'm glad Hemsworth wants to return to Thor but it's him with the Guardians that I want to see the most.  Guardians 3 with Thor is the only post-Endgame movie that I'm looking forward to.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

I'm more interested in that than watching Waititi butcher the last few remaining Asgardians to free up more screen time for his alter ego to hamstring every dramatic beat with a joke.

I'd like it if they're able to tie the Thor franchise in with the Eternals movie and lead up to an MCU version of the Celestials Saga from back in 1980. It'd have to be very different of course, what with Odin already dead.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Gee, since they're making a Thor4, maybe they'll finally get around to making Cap3.

(I will be forever bitter about CACW - that was an avengers movie not the final installment of Cap's trilogy.)

• Love 10

Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan Tease 'Falcon and Winter Soldier' Series

Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan sat down with Kevin Frazier on Saturday where they shared how they are doing since the release of Avengers: Endgame.

"The world's a mess," Stan joked. "These are dark times."

As for Mackie, he said, "It's been great. We have been on a pretty nice vacation," with Stan adding, "I think we're OK."

The two also dished on what fans can expect on their upcoming Disney+ series, Falcon and Winter Soldier.

"There's an angry guy with one arm and there's a confused guy with wings and they're in a show together," teased Mackie.

"We're just going to do our best to survive," Stan added.

They'd better not get too big, with Bucky and Falcon. Those two guys deserve a grittier, down and dirty, espionage show, not big superheroics and CGI.

They each have their personal issues - Sam learning to carry the burden of Captain America (and if the show touches on the bigotry of a certain sort of person who wouldn't like a black man as the symbol of the country, all the better). And Bucky has to figure out how to be a person again, and to deal with the guilt over his actions as a Soviet assassin. Presumably, he did some thinking in Wakanda, but we never got to see it because Bucky hasn't actually been a character since Captain America: Winter Soldier. 

I'm also holding out hope that we'll hear that Stan has a role of some kind in the Black Widow movie, even if only to show that story she told, of when the Winter Soldier shot her. But I doubt we'll get that. Probably a load of boring ass Clint instead, and that tedious fucking Budapest thing that should have been a one line gag, but instead crops up so often I'm left thinking that's the only experience of real meaning they shared.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

They'd better not get too big, with Bucky and Falcon. Those two guys deserve a grittier, down and dirty, espionage show, not big superheroics and CGI.

I hope they do it that way too. If they get anywhere close to saving the world it is going to piss me off.  I mean that is kind of the thing that wrecked Agents of SHIELD for me.

• Love 2
(edited)

Saw Spiderman today. 

It was an enjoyable movie, but plots seems pretty contrived. 

And in the end other than the final few minutes, based on how everything that happened, doesn't seem to do much to advance the whole Marvel universe story. 

Had some funny moments though. 

Edited by DrSpaceman
(edited)

Marvel Cinematic Universe’s 2019 Comic-Con Panel:

Deadlines is updating this page as announcements are made. Here’s what there is so far. 

–Avengers: Endgame is beating Avatar this weekend to become the highest grossing film off all-time at the global box office.

–What’s opening Nov. 6, 2020? Why that would be the Angelina Jolie led Gods vs Gods movie The Eternals. Feige brought out the whole cast.

–Feb.  12, 2021 — Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will star Awkwafina and Tony Leung as the Mandarin. Director Destin Daniel Cretton spoke about growing up in Hawaii. “It’s great that Kevin is making a movie that reflects the beautiful colors in this room.” Simu Liu has landed the title role of Shang-Chi. He was cast on Tuesday, and he screen-tested on Sunday. “I feel like I was the social experiment (by Marvel), ordinary guy living in Toronto.” The actor said it’s his first time at Comic-con.

–The Falcon and the Winter Solider is debuting on Disney+ with Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan. Daniel Bruhl is returning as villain Zemo. He facetimed in and revealed he was coming back in his character’s voice.

–Wanda Vision is happening on Disney+ in Spring 2021 with Olsen and Bettany. “It’s going to get weird and we’re going to go deep and we’re going to find out what Wanda is like as Scarlett Witch,” said Olsen. Series takes place after Endgame. Feige says there’s other characters in MCU. We met her as a little girl in 1995, and that is Monica Rambeau who will be portrayed as an adult by Teyonah Parris.

Edited by Guest

More from Deadline

–Loki is also happening in Spring 2021 in Disney+. Didn’t Loki die in Infinity War? This series tells us what happens to Loki after we see him in Endgame. Hiddleston took the stage as Hall H cheered repeatedly “Loki! Loki!” “This whole ting wouldn’t be happening without you,” Hiddleston told Hall H. “There’s a lot of psychological evolution that has to happen,” teased the actor who had to stay mum. “it’s new territory, a new world and I can’t wait to get started.”

–Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness is opening May 7, 2021. Scott Derrickson said that “we’re making the first scary MCU film”. He didn’t want to make a regular sequel, but that it will go into the goth of it all.  Benedict Cumberbatch took the stage and said “this twist in horror will have people gripped…we’ll be going back to trying to destroy him a bit.” Wanda Vision series events will tie into Doctor Strange 2. Olsen returned to the stage because Scarlet Witch is in the movie.

–Jeffrey Wright will play the Watcher in Marvel animated series “What If…” debuting in 2021.

–Marvel Boss Kevin Feige said ‘What If’ is the first animated series from Marvel Studios coming  Summer 2021. For the last ten years the studio has been making animated versions of their movies.  Majority of the MCU actors will do voiceovers reprising their roles. “The Watcher is non-earthly being who observes all things. He’s watching over the multi-verse and occasionally may or may not intervene with the doings of earthlings,” said Wright.

–Jeremy Renner entered Hall H, Robert Dowey Jr. style to talk up his Hawkeye Disney+ series. Renner “Fiber of what Hawkeye is a superhero without superpowers,” says Renner, “and that means everyone is a superhero.” Renner just saw the title teaser that was shown in Hall H a few days ago. No details hec could reveal. Fall 2021 date.

13 minutes ago, Dani said:

More from Deadline

–Loki is also happening in Spring 2021 in Disney+. Didn’t Loki die in Infinity War? This series tells us what happens to Loki after we see him in Endgame. Hiddleston took the stage as Hall H cheered repeatedly “Loki! Loki!” “This whole ting wouldn’t be happening without you,” Hiddleston told Hall H. “There’s a lot of psychological evolution that has to happen,” teased the actor who had to stay mum. “it’s new territory, a new world and I can’t wait to get started.”

Come on, he's a supervillain. They never stay dead.

• Love 1

Has there been any word regarding the next rounds of Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, Guardians or Black Panther?

1 minute ago, Dani said:

I did not see this coming.

-Third film of 2021 is Thor Love and Thunder. Natalie Portman aka Jane Foster from the first two Thor films will play female Thor.

Natalie Portman Is Female Thor In ‘Thor Love And Thunder’ Opening Fall 2021 –Comic-Con

Could this be an exploration of Bruce snapping someone back *wrong* by accident?

Deadline hasn’t updated in a while. Here’s USA Today’s updates. 

6:38: The "Black Widow" trailer shows a brutal fight with Natasha and Yelena choking each other out with a shower curtain in Budapest, and ends with a throwdown between Black Widow and debuting baddie Taskmaster.

6:27: "Black Widow" comes out May 1, 2020. David Harbour is Alexei, and cast also includes Florence Pugh and Rachel Weisz. And of course Scarlett Johansson is here, too. Cate Shortland is directing. "I don't think I could have portrayed this iteration of Natasha 10 years ago," Johansson says of her "fully realized woman." Harbour is very excited. Florence's character Yelena Belova is a "sister" character to Natasha. It's Weisz's first Comic-Con. Marvel "has really put at the forefront strong and powerful female characters," she says.

6:21: "Thor: Love and Thunder" hits theaters fall 2021. Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson star as Thor and Valkyrie, Taika Waititi directing fourth Thor film. Awesome logo. "There's nothing more powerful in the world than love," says the director. "And thunder," Hemsworth adds. The actor has not seen the script. Thompson teases that Valkyrie will be looking for "a queen." Jason Aaron's "Mighty Thor" comic-book story line will be pulled from and featured Jane Foster as female Thor. It just so happens Natalie Portman will be back as Jane, and she arrives holding the hammer Mjolnir. "It feels pretty good. I've always had hammer envy," Portman says.

13 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Has there been any word regarding the next rounds of Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, Guardians or Black Panther?

Nothing on Ant-Man but they did confirm the others are coming. 

6:42: "Fantastic Four," "Black Panther 2," "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: and "Captain Marvel 2" are all on the way, as well as mutants (which means the X-Men). One more big reveal: Mahershala Ali will star in a new "Blade" movie.

1 minute ago, calliope1975 said:

Mahershala as Blade? Thank you and yes. All these announcements have secured my $$ for the MCU for the next decade. 

Speaking of money: Welcome to the cash cow, Mahershala. Just make sure you pay your taxes.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

He was very good, but I did not see all this in his future back when he was on The 4400.

I did not see this route but saw more was in store for him.

Once Natalie Portman returned to the MCU for Endgame, I suspected that we would get to see Lady Thor. But in a Waititi movie?

Waititi's tone has always been a comic one. In the Lady Thor run, Jane Foster is dying from cancer. Will Waititi be able to put across tragic drama?

(edited)
18 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

He was very good, but I did not see all this in his future back when he was on The 4400.

I was entranced by him back on The 4400, he was so head and shoulders above everyone else to me... but Hollywood is a weird place, so you never know when someone is going to be in the right place at the right time, and with the right availability.  I am utterly thrilled by this!  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 2

Apparently, as part of the first stop on the We Love You 3000 tour, Ben & Jerry's is giving out ice cream treats in San Diego.

Including Hulka Hulka Burning Fudge.

• Love 3

Speaking of the Hulk, I'm not seeing any opportunities for Mark Ruffalo to return to the role in the upcoming slate of movies. Ruffalo is now in his fifties -- has he aged out of the role?

3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Presumably, he did some thinking in Wakanda, but we never got to see it because Bucky hasn't actually been a character since Captain America: Winter Soldier. 

So true. I know I said in that in the F & WS show thread that he's basically been nothing more than a cardboard box with hair. This show is what I'm looking forward to the most. They better not let me down.

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Third film of 2021 is Thor Love and Thunder. Natalie Portman aka Jane Foster from the first two Thor films will play female Thor.

Ugh. Damn, my excitement level has dropped on this one. Not a NatPort fan. Would be nice to see Darcy again though. And Valkyrie. And Korg. Okay, maybe I'll give it a chance. 😄

1 hour ago, Dani said:

One more big reveal: Mahershala Ali will star in a new "Blade" movie.

Now that is exciting news. I've seen him in quite a few things now and he is awesome. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Here’s video from the panel. The sound cuts out it the beginning but comes back at 4 minutes. ETA: It also cuts out for a few minutes in the middle and at the end. 

Edited by Guest

This is just too much news to take in at once. I guess I know what I'll be doing with my day tomorrow and that will be spending it on Reddit. I want to know who all is going to be in the Eternals movie.

Yep, a lot of crazy news tonight, but the ones that have me most excited/intrigued is a) Natalie Portman in Thor 4 as a powered up Jane Foster (smart of Natalie for not burning any kind of bridges, despite apparently not being a fan of how the character was written in the past) and b) Freaking Mahershala Ali as Freaking Blade!

But with Blindspot about to end, I do hope Jaimie Alexander will be freed up to return as Sif soon.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, festivus said:

Ugh. Damn, my excitement level has dropped on this one. Not a NatPort fan.

I'm not thrilled about this either. Kind of bums me out really. I was pumped for the new Thor film, but Hemsworth's chemistry with Portman is... non existent. 

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness sounds AMAZING! 

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 3

Apparently Angelina Jolie is playing Thena, not Sersi.

–What’s opening Nov. 6, 2020? Why that would be the Angelina Jolie led Gods vs Gods movie Eternals. Feige brought out the whole cast. Jolie, we hear, snuck into the Green Room at the last minute. Richard Madden plays Ikaris, Kumail Nanjiani is Kingo, Lauren Ridloff as Makkari, Brian Tyree Henry as Phastos, Salma Hayek as Ajak, Lia McHugh as Sprite, Don Lee as Gilgamesh and Jolie is Thena.

Link

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Yep, a lot of crazy news tonight, but the ones that have me most excited/intrigued is a) Natalie Portman in Thor 4 as a powered up Jane Foster (smart of Natalie for not burning any kind of bridges, despite apparently not being a fan of how the character was written in the past)

I think everybody working on the MCU knows they screwed up with the first 2 Thor movies, and don't blame Portman for wanting out.  In particular how they clashed with Patty Jenkins to the point she left, and went on to make Wonder Woman.

I'm guessing Jane will be Earth's Thor, while Thor is hanging out with the Guardians.  This way they don't have to split them up in future movies.

Never really liked the notion of a lady Thor (I basically dislike this kind of legacy characters in general, there is only one Thor, if they want to give someone powers, fine, but call it something else), but okay, let's see where they will be going with this one.

• Love 3

I can't say I'm thrilled that Jane is returning. I like Natalie Portman, and actually thought Jane was fairly charming in the first Thor movie, but she had no chemistry with Chris Hemsworth. I'm sure she only took the job because she wanted to work with Kenneth Branagh.

But Waititi reinvented Thor to the point that Chris Hemsworth wants to do more with the character, so maybe he can do the same with Jane Foster.

I still haven't seen the first Doctor Strange, and probably won't watch the second. I just don't enjoy Cumberbatch, or the Strange character. 

Really looking forward to Falcon & Winter Soldier, and each new bit of information about that is exciting. WandaVision sounds more and more like the MCU's mini-version of House of M, with Wanda using her powers to rewrite reality and bring Vision back.

Not too interested in the Eternals either. Or new Blade. Or more of Jeremy Renner's bland Hawkeye.

5 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I think everybody working on the MCU knows they screwed up with the first 2 Thor movies, and don't blame Portman for wanting out.  In particular how they clashed with Patty Jenkins to the point she left, and went on to make Wonder Woman.

I'm guessing Jane will be Earth's Thor, while Thor is hanging out with the Guardians.  This way they don't have to split them up in future movies.

In the comics, there can be only one Thor, god of thunder, at a time. Thor becomes Odinson, Jane briefly becomes Thor and then dies, Odinson resumes his role as Thor.

(Jane is then resurrected as Valkyrie, but I don't think the MCU would go there).

• Love 1

I wish there had been more information on Captain Marvel 2 and Black Panther 2, because most of this news is pretty meh to me. I WOULD be super excited for the Black Widow film, especially because I absolutely adore Rachel Weisz and David Harbour, except, you know, Natasha's dead. If the film resurrects her great, but otherwise....

Thor: Love and Thunder could be all right...maybe. I know I'm in the minority but I like Jane/Natalie Portman and thought she and Hemsworth had decent enough chemistry, so I am kind of excited for Jane coming back (especially if Darcy and Selvig come with...the Thor films always had the best ensemble cast outside of CA:TWS). Tessa Thompson is always welcome on my screen. But after what Endgame did to the character I just don't know that I can really get excited for Thor, which sucks because he was totally my fave Avenger in Phase 1/2.

Otherwise, not really excited. Shang-Chi, Eternals, and Doctor Strange 2 all get a pass from me, and I doubt I'll subscribe to Disney-Plus.

I still haven't seen the first Doctor Strange, and probably won't watch the second. I just don't enjoy Cumberbatch, or the Strange character.  

imo you're not missing much...the character is basically Tony Stark without RDJ's charm and charisma.

• Love 1