Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

Now you have me curious...  Which part?

The one that says:

Spoiler

At the beginning of FFH there's an "in memoriam" to Tony, Natasha, and Steve. After the way they assassinated Steve's character in Endgame if they have him die offscreen of old age immediately I am done.

• Love 2

Robert Downey Jr. Builds Buzz for Ironheart Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Robert Downey Jr. is no longer an active force in the Marvel Cinematic Universe following Tony Stark’s death in “Avengers: Endgame,” but that doesn’t mean he’s out of ideas when it comes to where the MCU should go next. Marvel comics writer Eve L. Ewing shared on social media that Downey Jr. advocated for her superhero, Ironheart, to join the MCU while he was accepting a prize at the Gene Siskel Film Center’s Renaissance gala in Chicago. MCU fans have unsurprisingly taken to the idea of the young Ironheart character becoming an Avenger with excitement.

“The real story here is that Robert Downey Jr. said publicly in a room full of people that Ironheart should be in the MCU, wrote Ewing, who created the Ironheart superhero in 2015 with fellow writers Brian Michael Bendis and Mike Deodato. “I went straight back to the press area afterward and was like YOU ALL HEARD IT, WRITE THAT DOWN.”

• Love 1
(edited)

Ironheart is a new one on me. I've not been keeping up with comics for the last few years. It's a better superhero name than Iron Lad, that's for sure.

Iron Man is Marvel's easiest legacy character, really. It's all about the suits, and anyone should be able to wear them and have the powers of Iron Man. And we've already seen three other people do that in the MCU, with Rhodey, Bruce and Pepper

Edited by Danny Franks

I am not a big fan of legacy characters usually, but in the case of the MCU, it makes sense. After all, the universe is moving forward.

I also have the feeling that they are working towards a young avengers movie.

On 6/29/2019 at 10:34 PM, scriggle said:

The one that says:

Reveal spoiler

At the beginning of FFH there's an "in memoriam" to Tony, Natasha, and Steve. After the way they assassinated Steve's character in Endgame if they have him die offscreen of old age immediately I am done.

I wish I hadn't read that. Although maybe I'm glad for the warning.

Anyone in Ironman armor becomes super-powered : they can fly, have super strength, withstand heavy impact, shoot force beams, etc.

That's why the Ironman suit should be retired from the MCU. War Machine (an officer in the military) has one, Pepper has (or had) one, Ironheart (a 15 year old girl) has one, yet the U.S. military can't get their hands on the manufacturing specs? 

No more Ironmen. No more Captain Americas. Let's move on.

1 hour ago, clack said:

Anyone in Ironman armor becomes super-powered : they can fly, have super strength, withstand heavy impact, shoot force beams, etc.

That's why the Ironman suit should be retired from the MCU. War Machine (an officer in the military) has one, Pepper has (or had) one, Ironheart (a 15 year old girl) has one, yet the U.S. military can't get their hands on the manufacturing specs? 

No more Ironmen. No more Captain Americas. Let's move on.

Pretty much after Iron Man 2 there should be the general up armoring of non Avengers, just like there is a race to get nuclear weapons before superpowers band together to stop the nations. We have already had Shocker and Crossbones exoskeleton enhancements.

However dropping battlesuits as a villain origin/power base does leave a door open for mutants for the shows not going cosmic with the Guardians and Captain Marvel.

So spoilers for Spider-Man Far from Home: 

Spoiler

OH MY GOD HOW IS TONY STILL CREATING VILLAINS EVEN FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE?!? HE HAS PISSED OFF SO MANY PEOPLE HE HAS A WHOLE EVIL CABAL THAT HATES HIM! THIS IS VILLAIN NUMBER BILLION THAT HAS A BACKSTORY WHERE THEY HATE TONY!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 6/29/2019 at 7:34 PM, scriggle said:

The one that says:

Reveal spoiler

You know, this makes the correlation to that Twilight Zone ep (The Miniature) almost exact now... Steve did put himself in a fake playhouse with his imaginary lady to commit suicide.  

22 hours ago, clack said:

I can kind of hand wave that away as Tony blah blah blah. 

However, I always wonder why the government stopped production of the "Falcon" suit. It was their design. And, it was capable of completing (at a cost) a mission so difficult, it impressed Natasha.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

I can kind of hand wave that away as Tony blah blah blah. 

However, I always wonder why the government stopped production of the "Falcon" suit. It was their design. And, it was capable of completing (at a cost) a mission so difficult, it impressed Natasha.

Looking at the system with a veteran's eye. No it wasn't able to compete its mission at cost. We don't know how many were deployed, so not the loss rate, but we do know Sam's wingman was shot down.  Sam Wilson threw down his resume as an USAF PJ, a pararescue man, those who go behind enemy lines to recover and give medical treatment to aircrew who were shot down. For that primary mission while "Para" as in parachute is in the name the mission is to get the aircrew  out before they were captured and Sam never carried a full sized rifle, much less show the ability to carry a downed pilot out with him. 

And for the sneaking and peaking with the occasional non lethal, or lethal strike that he did for the Avengers as Ivan Vanko said "drone  better". Given the state of Stark drones and even the failed Hammer drones using the suit for a scout would be a drone mission, as a gunship would be a drone mission, to insert a spy might be the only mission for the wings as would cost too much  for normal troop use.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, clack said:

And how did Tony not look at Falcon's relatively primitive set-up and not design him an armored suit, as he did for Peter?

Well the Falcon suit did show sensor upgrades to enable him see Ant-Man and the wings doubled as armor, along with carrying drones in Civil War. Much more gear he becomes War Machine II.

• Love 2
On 6/29/2019 at 10:34 PM, scriggle said:

The one that says:

Reveal spoiler

OK, so I saw FFH and I interpreted this as:

Spoiler

The general public thinks Cap didn't make it back. They don't know about Old Man Steve.

• Love 5
On 7/4/2019 at 3:34 AM, swanpride said:

Among the advantages of Falcon's suit is the fact that it is more stealthy and he can move more smoothly.

Clearly he's better able to dodge wearing it than Rhodey is in the War Machine armor.

(edited)
9 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I don't believe that's official yet.

Oh cool. I watched a YouTube video talking about possible SDCC announcements (Phase 4 lineup) and they said she was playing Sersi and Richard Madden was playing Ikaris. I Googled and came across and article from April saying it was announced that she would play Sersi

Although, now that I look back it wasn't from an official media source (Dateline, Variety, THR, etc) so maybe it's still speculation/assumption?

Edited by Morrigan2575
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh cool. I watched a YouTube video talking about possible SDCC announcements (Phase 4 lineup) and they said she was playing Sersi and Richard Madden was playing Ikaris. I Googled and came across and article from April saying it was announced that she would play Sersi

Although, now that I look back it wasn't from an official media source (Dateline, Variety, THR, etc) so maybe it's still speculation/assumption?

From what I can tell there was a line in a THR story about the movie which said that Jolie is understood to be playing Sersi and other sites took that to be confirmation. In their other articles about her being cast just say that she probably playing Sersi because she was the first person cast. Sounds like they were just speculating. 

Last week in the THR announcement that Selma Hayek may be in the movie said that Jolie is still in talks to star but that there is no deal yet. 

My only knowledge of the Eternals comes from the Gaiman/Romita Jr mini from a few years ago. Not really a fan, and the prospect of a movie doesn't grab me. Although my opinion might be coloured by John Romita Jr's appalling artwork. That guy just draws everyone like they're Kryten from Red Dwarf.

• LOL 2

Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige Join San Diego Comic-Con After Skipping Last Year

The official schedule for SDCC 2019 now lists a Marvel Studios event scheduled for Saturday, July 20th from 5:15 to 6:45 p.m. PT in Hall H. The listing’s brief description reads: “Marvel Studios president and producer Kevin Feige and surprise panelists provide an inside look at the ever-expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe.”

The promise of “surprise panelists” begs the question of whether an “Endgame” reunion might be in order. Hall H is the biggest venue at the convention center, and according to ScreenRant, Marvel only uses that room when they have something truly noteworthy to announce. Marvel plans their marketing schedule around SDCC, sometimes skipping the event altogether if it isn’t ready to announce, as it did last year.

Back in 2014, Feige announced his entire Phase 3 plan for the MCU at Comic-Con, prompting many to speculate whether he might share plans for Phase 4 at Comic-Con. While there are numerous Phase Four movies in development, no Marvel movie has been officially announced or dated for Phase Four yet. Franchises such as “Black Panther,” “Captain Marvel,” and “Doctor Strange” are all expected to land sequels, while new franchises to the MCU will include Chloe Zhao’s “The Eternals” and Daniel Destin Cretton’s “Shang-Chi.” Scarlett Johansson’s fan favorite “Black Widow” will also be getting her first standalone movie.

2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

My only knowledge of the Eternals comes from the Gaiman/Romita Jr mini from a few years ago. Not really a fan, and the prospect of a movie doesn't grab me. Although my opinion might be coloured by John Romita Jr's appalling artwork. That guy just draws everyone like they're Kryten from Red Dwarf.

Mine is from like 20 years ago...scary 😯

It started with an X-Men/Avengers croasover which then drew me into Avengers. My introduction to Sersi was fighting Exodus to save Luna. I liked her so much in that crossover I started picking up the Avengers title. I read up through the Proctor storyline, I dropped the title after Sersi/Black Knight went to the AU.

(edited)

The primary reason I watch is for the competition. But the scenery is a close second. The organizer's route selection and the network's production value make this a great watch even if you are like me and don't know a lot about cycling.

ETA. That was weird. for some reason my reply box posted something (obviously) meant for another thread here. But someone was kind enough to give me a like, so I'll leave it.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, xaxat said:

The primary reason I watch is for the competition. But the scenery is a close second. The organizer's route selection and the network's production value make this a great watch even if you are like me and don't know a lot about cycling.

ETA. That was weird. for some reason my reply box posted something (obviously) meant for another thread here. But someone was kind enough to give me a like, so I'll leave it.

I liked your post because while it was in the wrong post, sometimes I'm easily amused by such things. 🙂

• Love 1

So with the release of Spider-Man: Far From Home, is this the first time since the start of the MCU that we don't have an official release date for any future Marvel movie? Obviously, we know there are several in the works, but we're in for a bit of a lull now, after a big first half of 2019.

3 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

So with the release of Spider-Man: Far From Home, is this the first time since the start of the MCU that we don't have an official release date for any future Marvel movie? Obviously, we know there are several in the works, but we're in for a bit of a lull now, after a big first half of 2019.

SDCC is next week, there will be a Marvel panel. But IMDB has no MCU movies listed with dates right now. So I think you're right.

Well, we know which dates Marvel has reserved for itself, so we can do some educated guesses. We do know for sure that there will be a release on May 1 2020 (most likely Black widow), November 6 2020 (most likely the Eternals), February 12 2021 (most likely Black Panther 2) and there are also releases planned for May 7, and November 5, 2021; and February 18, May 6, and July 29, 2022...I don't think that one has to be a genius to know that GotG Zun3, Doctor Strange 2, Spiderman: something home and Captain Marvel 2 will take up some of those slots.

I am sure we know more about the Hall H announcement.

2 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

The release dates have been announced  through 2022 but the titles are unknown. May 1st and November 6th are what’s on the schedule for next year.  

Between Comic Con later this month and D23 in late August all of phase 4 should be announced soon. 

(edited)
10 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Well, we know which dates Marvel has reserved for itself, so we can do some educated guesses. We do know for sure that there will be a release on May 1 2020 (most likely Black widow), November 6 2020 (most likely the Eternals), February 12 2021 (most likely Black Panther 2) and there are also releases planned for May 7, and November 5, 2021; and February 18, May 6, and July 29, 2022...I don't think that one has to be a genius to know that GotG Zun3, Doctor Strange 2, Spiderman: something home and Captain Marvel 2 will take up some of those slots.

I am sure we know more about the Hall H announcement.

Shang-Chi is probably one of the 2021 movies. 

9 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Not sure if they will announce ALL of Phase 4. Announcing so many movies in advance somewhat backfired last time.

Good point. I didn’t think of that but wasn’t that mostly because of the drama with Perlmutter.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the expectations with two big media events in such close proximity. 

Edited by Guest

The Spiderman movies don't show up on the Marvel release schedules. They are Sony films.

May 2020 : Black Widow

Nov 2020: the Eternals

2021, in what order yet to be announced : Shang-Chi, probably Spiderman #3, Doctor Strange #2, and Black Panther #2.

I'm still waiting for confirmation that Lupita Nyong'o is in Black Panther 2. Nakia was one of the highlights of the first movie, but she's been totally absent from the Avengers movies. Presumably because Lupita is busy, but I'm worried they might phase her out.

12 hours ago, swanpride said:

I suspect they will release Black Panther 2 in February again, since it worked so great the last time.

There's that, plus I suspect that they might be looking for a sure-fire hit in that slot.

Black Widow and the Eternals will do well, but probably fall short of the billion dollar mark. Now if they follow those movies with Shang-Chi, another property without a track record, that seems a little risky. People might be saying that Marvel has lost it's mojo if that too fails to set the box office on fire.

Black Panther, on the other hand, would be guaranteed box office.

• Love 1

Well, also, it's Black history month. And provided that they managed it schedule wise, GotG Zun3 might be the best idea for a Summer release. It's the best-established Franchsie they have left. And then they can follow up this with Shang-Chi (though I suspect the release date of Shang-Chi will also depend on when they can released it in the Chinese Market).

(edited)
1 hour ago, swanpride said:

Well, also, it's Black history month. And provided that they managed it schedule wise, GotG Zun3 might be the best idea for a Summer release. It's the best-established Franchsie they have left. And then they can follow up this with Shang-Chi (though I suspect the release date of Shang-Chi will also depend on when they can released it in the Chinese Market).

James Gunn is directing Suicide Squad for an Aug 2021 release date. Only then can he begin work on GotG#3. A Nov 2022 release date for Guardians is the most likely.

The prospective 2022 MCU slate is interesting. Probably Captain Marvel#2, Guardians #3, but what would be their 3rd movie? Feige has said that he wants at least one non-sequel per year.

Would a New Avengers #1 count as a non-sequel?

Edited by clack

Combining the concepts of the Dark Avengers and the Thunderbolts might be a cool way to bring in a new Avengers team in order to combat them.

In 3 years time, there will be a need to bring together some of the new and new-ish heroes : Shang-Chi, the new Black Widow, maybe Sersei, Valkerie, the Wasp, Ant-Man, Spider Man, the Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc.

Just as Captain America : Civil War was really an Avengers movie, so too might Thunderbolts be.

37 minutes ago, clack said:

Well, that changes the speculative MCU lineup of release dates. Seems like Thor #4 will pre-date Guardians #3, which perhaps means that Thor will not be with the Guardians on their next movie, if he has already separated from them.

I don't know how to feel about this news! I loved Ragnarok but I was also looking forward to seeing Thor with the Guardians. It's probably for the best though because I think James Gunn already had his Guardians Three story done before he got fired and he probably didn't have Thor in it. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, festivus said:

I don't know how to feel about this news! I loved Ragnarok but I was also looking forward to seeing Thor with the Guardians. It's probably for the best though because I think James Gunn already had his Guardians Three story done before he got fired and he probably didn't have Thor in it. 

Well he needs to learn to adjust. Thor in Guardians 3 is the only reason I'm interested in that movie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2