Felicity Smoak: Bitch With Wifi

• Start Topic

(edited)

Mother is a Vegas Cocktail Waitress

Jewish

Graduated MIT

Genius

Father left when she was the young

Put herself through college (I might have inferred that one)

Hates Kangaroos

Anything else?

Ok, I know Isabel can kick her ass but I really want Felicity to get at least one good shot in. Maybe she can run Isabel over with the van?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Felicity, also, has a nut allergy (which made the one and only time she ate a pot brownie an unpleasant experience) and likes to binge on mint chip ice cream when stressed. She dyes her hair blonde and is a fan of wine. Oh, plus, she had a Lacrosse player stalker once upon a time and, apparently, knows very well that frat boys are easily manipulated by the power of the boobs. Hee.

Ok, I know Isabel can kick her ass but I really want Felicity to get at least one good shot in. Maybe she can run Isabel over with the van?

Maybe she does run over Isabel with the van next week to help Diggle out. Which is why it looks like the van flipped over in the promo?

• Love 3

Apparently they cut one of the lines of her backstory in this week's episode.  I seriously hope that thing about her mother wasn't supposed to be the speech that comes back in two significant ways....because that's just total crap, IMO.  Seriously her mom being a cocktail waitress in Vegas is not significant

Apparently they cut one of the lines of her backstory in this week's episode.  I seriously hope that thing about her mother wasn't supposed to be the speech that comes back in two significant ways....because that's just total crap, IMO.  Seriously her mom being a cocktail waitress in Vegas is not significant

Not until season 3, when a mysterious villainess who kills people by poisoning their elaborately made drinks makes an appearance, anyway.

It's an interesting idea, that Felicity's mother is not exactly role model material, but I also think the idea of her working hard as a cocktail waitress to give Felicity a better life has some potency as well. If they ever decided to give Felicity her own storyline, then I'd enjoy them exploring her own family a little, and coming to appreciate that her mother might not be someone she respected when she was younger, but was someone who wanted the best for her. That seems to be a theme with the families on Arrow.

Also, the idea that Felicity went from a trailer park in Vegas (my assumption) to M.I.T. just makes me respect and admire her even more than I did before. That girl has some determination to go with her smarts. And I really liked her speech to Oliver about how refusing to accept her lot in life had led to her being the person she is.

And, on that subject, how is "I never would have believed some crazy guy in a hood when he told me I could be more than just an IT girl" not a building block to a slow-burning romance? That's the sort of thing that gives me whiplash, because the writers talk about Laurel and Oliver, but give all the actual substance to Felicity and Oliver.

• Love 9

And, on that subject, how is "I never would have believed some crazy guy in a hood when he told me I could be more than just an IT girl" not a building block to a slow-burning romance? That's the sort of thing that gives me whiplash, because the writers talk about Laurel and Oliver, but give all the actual substance to Felicity and Oliver.

Exactly.  I have never seen a show/tell contradiction like there is on this show.  And whichever  you buy into, what they show or what they tell, you'll probably end up cheated.

Although i do think she believed that she could be more than an IT girl even before Oliver told her.  You don't go from the daughter of a cocktail waitress to attending MIT (on scholarship or work plans) without a power belief that You Can Be More.  But compared to what this show tries to pull with other characters (hello, Laurel) that a pick of the tiniest nit.

• Love 1

The producers seem to want to give snippets of backstory, which to me are nothing more than teasing a child with a single M&M and saying you can't have the whole bag.   We want to see Felicity's character develop outside of Oliver, outside of the Arrowcave (current or future). 

I love Diggle's character (and his arms are to die for) because they made an effort to give us true insight into the person he was.  

They don't do that with Felicity.  They just throw these one-liners out so that people feel like they have something to grasp on to.  Having a fan-favorite character treated like that is just another one of the producers' ways of trying to keep fans into the show without giving them much because they don't want to see her used the way the fans want to see her used (and I don't mean Olicity, just Felicity).

Also, the idea that Felicity went from a trailer park in Vegas (my assumption) to M.I.T. just makes me respect and admire her even more than I did before

Hee!  I stuck her in a trailer park the second I heard mother was a cocktail waitress in Vegas as well.  It will be interesting to one day meet her mother (aren't I optimistic) and find out if Felicity's mother was someone who worked hard to give Felicity her shot (and likely was determinedly cheerful in the process) or if her mom was the sort to go from man to man to man, drinking and partying and pretty much leaving Felicity to raise herself.  There is probably a middle ground in there but it's probably one of the extremes.  I think we can safely assume there is some kind of estrangement between Felicity and her mother or I'd expect her to talk about her casually. 

• Love 1

You know that little information about her mother made me more interested in what Felicity's life was like growing up than anything else. I am less interested in knowing who her father is. I want to know more about life in Vegas and in MIT more. I want to know why she doesn't have many people in her life? etc

• Love 2
Hee!  I stuck her in a trailer park the second I heard mother was a cocktail waitress in Vegas as well.

Yeah, me, too. And I'm totally wondering what her relationship with her mother is really like. She didn't seem embarrassed or angry or concerned when she was talking to Oliver in "Heir to the Demon" (or as I call it, the inexplicable lunge episode). If anything, Felicity sounded more exasperated.

I'm still curious about the dad, just because the EPs said it was too big to include this season and is going to be explored in season three (which I might not watch, depending on what the show does with these last two episodes).

• Love 2

My big concern is that they're going to drop it or push it back again, keep dangling stuff for the fans but never really explore it.  I got that in S1 they couldn't do it because she wasn't a planned character.  However they promised more backstory and development for Felicity in S2 and then pushed it back, because it was "too big to include" this season with everything else going on.

I guess the finale will be a good judge, they keep saying that Felicity has a big role to play in the finale...if that's true it might mean they have something important lined up for her in S3.  However if her "big role" is simply telling Oliver that Star Labs has the cure or telling him how to use the device to spread the cure, I wouldn't count that as a "big role".  

I'm guessing there's probably going to be some sort of Mob connection, along with info about Felicity's father, because television/films can rarely resist Vegas = Mob (even though everyone I've met who actually lives in Vegas keeps insisting that Chicago = Mob.)  They've been increasing the role of the Russian guy back on the island, and reminding us this season that Oliver has Russian Mob connections, which he admittedly just did a hit on (er, sorry) but I wouldn't be surprised to see this play out in season three, along with the Felicity's father reveal.

I hope so but I don't see how this story is so big that they had to push it back to S3.  

I think my favorite theory I've seen around is her dad may be Ted Kord (aka, Blue Beetle, a genius inventor/scientist and so where Felicity could have gotten it).  They'd have a window for Kord Enterprises, which has been name-dropped before in the series a few times, to become very relevant if they use it to help save Queen Consolidated.  Whatever brouhaha the writers pull out of their asses claiming QC is in trouble, that is.  Ted partly seeing a wise business venture and wanting to save the jobs of all those thousands of employees, but also Ted maybe wanting to reconnect with his daughter, Felicity.  They could connect or parallel this to Oliver's arc too, maybe claim Ted left behind his family due to fearing for their lives due to his secret superhero shenanigans?  Oliver - if he is in a relationship with Felicity by this point - still fearing for Felicity's safety being the woman the Arrow loves.  Though both being superheroes and both concerned for Felicity's safety, that could make for a really contentious relationship between Oliver and Ted, not to mention Oliver's more than checkered past with relationships.  This would also put the shoe on the other foot of Felicity finding herself with billions at her disposal if she should desire it and Oliver the one who's penniless (thanks to the writers handwaving any real knowledge of billionaires and their bookkeeping).  It could be Felicity who funds Team Arrow's efforts if Thea, depending on whether she finds out Oliver's secret or not, rejects the Merlyn fortune.

Ted Kord would be an interesting addition to "Arrow" and he'd fit in the universe for his lack of superpowers.  Also with the popularity of the "Iron Man" movies, I wouldn't be shocked Ted, if he appears, is more like Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark (another billionaire genius inventor/scientist) than he is his actual comics counterpart.

• Love 6
(edited)

I don't see how this story is so big that they had to push it back to S3.

I have the feeling it wasn't that Felicity's story was so big it couldn't  fit into s2, but that they took the room for Laurel's.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

Doesn't Ted Kord some sort of magic powers in the comics?

How will that work in this show where the powers are more science based?

Ted's is the power-free version of Blue Beetle, the original BB (Dan Garret) and the most recent (Jaime Reyes) have the superpowers (both from a magic scarab).  Ted's BB relied on physical prowess, machinery and gadgetry he invented.

• Love 2

If her dad is a do-gooder who has made serious mistakes in the past (like abandoning Felicity--I mean, I don't think there's a bigger mistake a person could make in this universe. She is the best. Or as Julia Roberts once said: "Big mistake. Big. HUGE."), that would mean he would fit right in on this show.  But I'm trying not to get my hopes up.  I already can't seem to control them when it comes to Oliver/Feilcty, so I better rein it in elsewhere.

• Love 2
Anyone but Ivo, Slade, or Fyers would be fine with me.

Anyone? Really?

What about Robert Queen?  :)

Honestly though, I'd love it if her father turned out to be Ted Kord. Or just for the hell of it, Ra's ah Ghul.

I think it would be a fun twist if Ra's Al Ghul were Felicity's father, the dark and the light.  A new kind of sister-in-law relationship with Sara too.

But it's unlikely since I got the impression that Felicity remembers who her father is.

• Love 2

I'd much prefer Felicity have a (relatively) normal childhood but since this show doesn't know the meaning of it I'm guessing that her father is going to be someone that shows up on the Island at some point because obviously everything has to be tied to the Island.  

• Love 2

Well..., not to start irrational hopes, Ted Kord could be around Robert and Moira's age in this telling. In the flashback where Robert tells Moira about the Undertaking and his murdering the alderman, weren't they getting ready for/coming back from party/charity thing/shindig that Ted Kord threw? Yes, Felicity probably would remember her dad, but the fathers on the show mostly can't keep it in their marital pants, so she could've been in a Family #2 situation. (Though, the Ted in the comics- who I adored!- wouldn't do something like that.)

I don't need Felicity to be a Canary padawan, but periodically, it'd be nice to see her and Dig working out. Maybe once in a blue moon, she can actually use moves that look Diggle-style or Diggle-style adjacent. It makes no sense to have their hacker be unable to protect herself, especially after the Mirakuru Mook Army has been unleashed.

• Love 1
(edited)

Has is been explicitly said that Felicity knows her father, or knows who he is? And more to the point, would it matter? What I mean is, Felicity could have been raised by Mr. and Mrs. Smoak, but that doesn't mean the man she's spent 20-something years calling Daddy actually is her father. Just ask Thea.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 2
(edited)

Anyone? Really?

What about Robert Queen?  :)

Honestly though, I'd love it if her father turned out to be Ted Kord. Or just for the hell of it, Ra's ah Ghul.

LOL! Add Robert Queen to the list too. To be honest, I forgot people thought he might be Felicity's father which I thought was crazy. 

All stories regarding Felicity it seems have been cut from this season which sucks. 

Edited by TwistedandBored

I have heard some speculation that her father is going to turn out to be Alan Scott or Hal Jordan, but apart from the fact that Berlanti and Guggenheim did a Green Lantern film that flopped, the comic book association of Green Arrow/Green Lantern, and a couple of Easter Egg references to Ferris Air, I don't think there's been anything in the show to imply this.  Also I really don't see Green Lantern - the original Alan Scott version or the later Green Lanterns - working on this show at all.

I'd go for the Ted Kord as her father thing in a heartbeat.  There have already numerous visual references to Kord Industries, so there's a hint of continunity (which is unusual for this show).  If Felicity and her mother were in Vegas, did they move there from some place else once her father left them or was he in Vegas with them before he left?

Sooooooooooo many questions.

I don't think they want to take on Green Lantern yet. They might see how Flash does before thinking of other big superheroes names. I also don't really think they will go with Ted Kord too.

Didn't they mention something about Jason Todd? What about him? Didn't his story get pushed just like Felicity's story? 

I hope in all subsequent appearances, Felicity, apropos of nothing, gets to run Isobel over with any vehicle that's at hand.  A kid's tricycle, a Segueway, a Rascal scooter, a train from Bludhaven...

• Love 3

I want to know what Isabel was going to say right after the "ever since...." When did she first want to shoot Felicity in the face? Inquiring minds want to know, show!

• Love 1

So many scenes to choose from ...... I like shows that give you something to talk about after the episode is over.

At first, I was thinking that it was ever since Felicity knocked on the door in the Russian hotel after their tryst but Felicity was already complaining about her earlier in the episode when they arrived at the airport and she had to take a cab with Isabel.

Now I'm thinking that it was when Felicity interrupted her meeting with Oliver to tell him that he was needed elsewhere because Roy had left a message arrow for him, and Oliver told her she needed to work on her excuses.  (I can't remember when episode that was.)  Isabel looked really pissed off when they left the room.

On the other hand, it could have been in the season's premier when Felicity brought Walter in to save the day.

• Love 1

On the other hand, it could have been in the season's premier when Felicity brought Walter in to save the day.

I'm betting it's this. Or the scene in the premiere when Felicity accompanied Oliver in the board room at QC to try and save it. That the reason why Isabel has been so bitchy towards Felicity all season long is because it was Felicity that ruined her takeover plans by bringing Oliver back from the island (and Diggle, though I don't think she knows he was instrumental in that). Isabel would have succeeded way back in the beginning of the season if it weren't for the meddling of Black Driver and Bitch with WiFi!

• Love 3
I'm betting it's this. Or the scene in the premiere when Felicity accompanied Oliver in the board room at QC to try and save it. That the reason why Isabel has been so bitchy towards Felicity all season long is because it was Felicity that ruined her takeover plans by bringing Oliver back from the island (and Diggle, though I don't think she knows he was instrumental in that). Isabel would have succeeded way back in the beginning of the season if it weren't for the meddling of Black Driver and Bitch with WiFi!

Even if she knew that Diggle played a role in bringing Oliver back I can see her focusing her rage on Felicity.  Sadly it's probably some stupid female jealousy issue that they're going with, she'll target all of her hate on the other female in the room.  Unless there was a cut scene or something that shows "felicity's smug face" but I'm guessing it's more related to Felicity bringing Oliver back to save the company.

After last week I wanted Felicity to run Isabel over with the van and I'm glad I got to see that, awesome scene, just wished Felicity minded her video game rules, you have to run them over, then do a back up and run them over again.  LOL

Also loved Felicity's speech to Oliver in the Clock Tower, she used her loud voice.  LOL

• Love 1

Isabel would have succeeded way back in the beginning of the season if it weren't for the meddling of Black Driver and Bitch with WiFi!

I'm getting a feeling we should change the Felicity thread title to "Bitch with WiFi"...  Of course, she handles a van quite well too. 

Quite happy that Felicity got great lines this episode; she's back to her biting observations while also winning at arguing down Oliver.  Also, Hug of Epic Belief was terrific.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love that idea, Felicity Smoak : Bitch with WiFi, great title.

I mentioned this in the spoiler thread but I wonder if the "corrupt those he loves" comes into play by having Felicity kill someone to save another life.

I would certainly play into Diggles comment about nothing could make Felicity a bad person.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

So Felicity demonstrates again that she's the real backbone of Team Arrow. Oliver is on the verge of giving up, and she tells him, 'fuck that shit. Get it together!' And he does. Because she's Felicity Smoak and she's awesome and he is compelled to listen to her.

The belief she has in Oliver is so steadfast, and it's one of those tropey situations of, 'girl believes in the good in this guy, even though he doesn't believe it himself'. Could be hokey, but EBR plays everything with such integrity and conviction that it works. Especially when she employs her Loud Voice. Oliver doesn't really stand a chance, and that's a dynamic I quite enjoy in male/female relationships on television. Whoever would have thought that the nervous, jittery IT girl would end up being one of the strongest people in Starling City?

• Love 7
(edited)

Interesting contrast between how Oliver reacted to basically the same statement from Diggle and Felicity.  Diggle gets off the phone with Star Labs and relays the bad news that they can't make more of the cure.  Oliver says we can't stop them without it.  Diggle says we'll find another way and Oliver blows up and shouts, "There is no other way." 

Then Diggle goes to get Roy and Oliver starts listing all the ways he's failed.  Felicity tells him he's not done fighting (love that line, she's so fierce and sure at the same time) Then she tells him he will stop Slade and instead of getting angry, Oliver confesses so softly that he doesn't know how.  That moment where Oliver is open and so vulnerable just gets me.

No, she doesn't have the answers either but he's not alone.  This line, is so perfect.  He has the weight of the world and he feels like he's failing everyone and Felicity takes part of the weight off of him.  SA did some lovely, subtle acting there.  Oliver looks this close to welling up.  It was like it was the last thing he was expecting to hear. 

It's one of the things I love about this scene, Felicity gets under Oliver's guard.  While they are hugging you can almost see Oliver feeding on her faith.  He loses his lost look and a steely eyed determination replaces it.  Lovely, just lovely. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5

Oh, I love the new topic title.

It's one of the things I love about this scene, Felicity gets under Oliver's guard.  While they are hugging you can almost see Oliver feeding on her faith.  He loses his lost look and a steely eyed determination replaces it.  Lovely, just lovely. 

It's why I love the relationship.  Even if they never go there romantically (and if they do, it needs to be a year off or more, while Oliver turns into a real boy) the fact that he can be so vulnerable around her is adorable.  Such great friendship/comfort type chemistry between the actors too.

• Love 1

As for the people who wondered why Felicity didn't run Isabel over again, that wouldn't be a good idea. She caught her off guard the first time. Now that Isabel knows she's there trying to hit her again could result in her leaping over the van or onto the hood or even taking out the engine block, resulting in her and Diggle being stranded. Better to just get out of there.

• Love 2
(edited)
As for the people who wondered why Felicity didn't run Isabel over again, that wouldn't be a good idea. She caught her off guard the first time. Now that Isabel knows she's there trying to hit her again could result in her leaping over the van or onto the hood or even taking out the engine block, resulting in her and Diggle being stranded. Better to just get out of there.

That's actually a good point.  I didn't think about it at the time, I just know that in video games (Halo, Gears of War) I tend to run "people" over and then back up for good measure.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Yeah, they later on showed a Strokes that kind of tossed a car around. (Hence the van roll over). Err on the side of caution and all. Plus it might have looked bad if Felicity tried to out and out kill her without also trying to rescue Diggle. Might have been more practical though ( or have Diggle finish her off) and yet I would have missed seeing Summer Glau's glorious hair again.

• Love 1