Type keyword(s) to search

Felicity Smoak: Bitch With Wifi

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I like how the they said she "sexistly" assumed Lance did something wrong when Lance did do something wrong and was lying to Donna right? 

Yep. Wasn’t that when he was working for Darhk?

Also, the wording of their “criticism” bothers me too. It’s like they have to come up with the worst way to say something to make sure their hate gets across. 

Lol I just read the whole used Oliver for sex interpretation of 5x20 haha ? 

Look how used Oliver looked:

tumblr_opeo824U5J1ubszlfo3_500.gif

And by that definition Oliver must have been using Laurel for sex. He too had sex with Laurel when he knew she was in love with him or had feelings for him but did not get back together with her or show any intention of getting back together with her afterwards. In fact one word from Laurel about their future and he hopped on a plane to live out his days on a desserted island.

But that's okay when a man decides to have sex for pure pleasure and not have it equal commitment or expectations of a future relationship, but a woman can't possibly have sex for pleasurable reasons and is worst hated or seen as villainous for it. 

It's 2017 Reddit. Women are actually allowed agency and sexist jerks get called out now... if you hadn't heard. 

• Love 17

Felicity uses Oliver for sex in 5x20, this from some of the crowd that would prefer he be a total manwhore in between bouts of being with Black Canary. They were both tipsy and enjoying themselves and winding each other up on the salmon ladder (hah) and they both wanted it and it happened. That Oliver hoped it was the start of getting back together and Felicity wasn't ready yet doesn't in the slightest bit mean she used him for sex, may or may not have helped them in the long run but there's nothing wrong with it. 

They had sex in Nanda Parbat when they thought they'd never see each other again and Oliver was planning to die, so the above scene was not their worst timed "we can't be together" sex. 

4 hours ago, LeighAn said:

And by that definition Oliver must have been using Laurel for sex. He too had sex with Laurel when he knew she was in love with him or had feelings for him but did not get back together with her or show any intention of getting back together with her afterwards. In fact one word from Laurel about their future and he hopped on a plane to live out his days on a desserted island.

I think Oliver probably did want to get back with Laurel before and immediately afterwards but after realising how he had hurt Tommy and Tommy's death it was off the table for him. I continue to be annoyed at those retconned flashbacks. The writers and KC may have thought they were throwing Lauriver fans a last bone but it made LL look much worse than the original 201 scene, which was fine. She was happily contemplating a future with Oliver a week after Tommy's death and continues to have no idea who Oliver actually is or what he's thinking. 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, bijoux said:

To answer @catrox14's question from social media, the defrauding bit refers to Felicity using the money from the start up's investors to post Oliver's bail this season. 

I'm pretty sure that if she hadn't used the money to post Oliver's bail they would have complained about how selfish she is, to have access to all that money and yet was refusing to help Oliver.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Just as if she hadn't re-directed the missile to Havenrock and left it heading to Monument Point , those deaths would have been her fault too.

It's almost like they don't want to blame the actual villainous male character who launched the nuke in the first place.  They are nuts

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

It's almost like they don't want to blame the actual villainous male character who launched the nuke in the first place.  They are nuts

We no of course not, Damian Darhk is just an average asshole compared to the psychotic supervillain in disguise that is FeFe, which is why she's secretly become the only character on the show even though she hasn't had that much screentime this season except in 2-3 episodes. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I am totally waiting for them to blame Felicity for ruining the Flash 100th Party/episode/photo ops somehow! You know she has the ability to! She's a magical supervillain!

LL/Reddit fans generally pretend to like Emily or pose as fans of Emily (in the same breath as loathing her character). Generally they do this to appear more righteously superior then Olicity fans who they mistakenly believe spend all their time hating on Katie and Cassandra, despite the fact that it's hardly true. Yet a few weeks back an Olicity fan who got invited into a group of LL/Reddit fans private dm for like weeks posted screen shots where they said just as terrible disgusting things about Emily that they claim Olicity fans say about Katie and Cassandra. A lot of "she got the job on her knees" type stuff.

So publicly I don't think they would blame Emily/Felicity for ruining The Flash party as it's interfers with their 'we are the good fans' narrative but I wouldn't be shocked if they did it privately. 

• Love 5

I spent some time on reddit yesterday and this morning and there was a thread that said they should stop wasting their time on all that's wrong with Olicity (they don't say it as nicely, their go to moniker is Olishitty) and address some of the other real flaws in the show and try to ask to get those corrected instead (since they realize the futility of trying to get Olicity fans and show runners to hate Olicity) and just as I was thinking, finally someone was smarter than the average reddit bear, he ended with of course Olicity is the reason for most of those problems too.  So there's a good chance that even if EBR isn't in the picture, whatever is wrong with it or the party will somehow be her fault.    

• Love 1

Oh they'd blame Olicity and Felicity even if EBR left the show before the end and Oliver moved on or they broke up and never got back together, they have to have a scapegoat. Meanwhile there are a lot of flaws that have nothing to do with the character, relationship or any romance/tech plots at all. E.g. We'd probably be getting William no matter who Oliver was with, Diggle would probably still be GA for a while since Oliver wasn't officially back together with Felicity when Dig took over, Oliver still wouldn't be killing 100% of the time because that's his hero's journey arc, people would still complain about the action and there wouldn't be a GA, BC and Arsenal team up because that never happened in S3 when Olicity weren't together, they had to get Oliver out of Starling to show LL as half way viable as BC and when he came back they weren't a trio, far from it. 

• Love 3

According to 16Personalities.com, Felicity Smoak is an ENTP personality type...
analysts_ENTP_felicity_smoak_arrow.png
ENTP Personality ("Debater"):

The ENTP personality type is the ultimate devil’s advocate, thriving on the process of shredding arguments and beliefs and letting the ribbons drift in the wind for all to see. Unlike their more determined Judging (J) counterparts, ENTPs don’t do this because they are trying to achieve some deeper purpose or strategic goal, but for the simple reason that it’s fun. No one loves the process of mental sparring more than ENTPs, as it gives them a chance to exercise their effortlessly quick wit, broad accumulated knowledge base, and capacity for connecting disparate ideas to prove their points.

An odd juxtaposition arises with ENTPs, as they are uncompromisingly honest, but will argue tirelessly for something they don’t actually believe in, stepping into another’s shoes to argue a truth from another perspective.

Playing the devil’s advocate helps people with the ENTP personality type to not only develop a better sense of others’ reasoning, but a better understanding of opposing ideas – since ENTPs are the ones arguing them.
Taking a certain pleasure in being the underdog, ENTPs enjoy the mental exercise found in questioning the prevailing mode of thought, making them irreplaceable in reworking existing systems or shaking things up and pushing them in clever new directions. However, they’ll be miserable managing the day-to-day mechanics of actually implementing their suggestions. ENTP personalities love to brainstorm and think big, but they will avoid getting caught doing the "grunt work" at all costs. ENTPs only make up about three percent of the population, which is just right, as it lets them create original ideas, then step back to let more numerous and fastidious personalities handle the logistics of implementation and maintenance.

However, according to her Queen Consolidated (QC) I.T. Department Personnel File,* Felicity tested as an INTJ personality type...

INTJ Personality ("Architect"):

It’s lonely at the top, and being one of the rarest and most strategically capable personality types, INTJs know this all too well. INTJs form just two percent of the population, and women of this personality type are especially rare, forming just 0.8% of the population – it is often a challenge for them to find like-minded individuals who are able to keep up with their relentless intellectualism and chess-like maneuvering. People with the INTJ personality type are imaginative yet decisive, ambitious yet private, amazingly curious, but they do not squander their energy.

With a natural thirst for knowledge that shows itself early in life, INTJs are often given the title of “bookworm” as children. While this may be intended as an insult by their peers, they more than likely identify with it and are even proud of it, greatly enjoying their broad and deep body of knowledge. INTJs enjoy sharing what they know as well, confident in their mastery of their chosen subjects, but owing to their Intuitive (N) and Judging (J) traits, they prefer to design and execute a brilliant plan within their field rather than share opinions on “uninteresting” distractions like gossip.
A paradox to most observers, INTJs are able to live by glaring contradictions that nonetheless make perfect sense – at least from a purely rational perspective. For example, INTJs are simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealists and the bitterest of cynics, a seemingly impossible conflict. But this is because INTJ types tend to believe that with effort, intelligence and consideration, nothing is impossible, while at the same time they believe that people are too lazy, short-sighted or self-serving to actually achieve those fantastic results. Yet that cynical view of reality is unlikely to stop an interested INTJ from achieving a result they believe to be relevant.

(* Felicity's QC Personality Profile: ”SUBJECT IS A PERFECTIONIST AND PRAGMATIST, YET INSECURE IN AREAS OUTSIDE HER EXPERTISE. SHE IS A SYSTEM BUILDER AND IS HIGHLY CONFIDENT IN AREAS SUCH AS COMPUTER SCIENCE AND SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, YET IS PRONE TO SOCIAL AWKWARDNESS. (TESTER’S NOTE: UNDERSCORING THIS TEST RESULT, FELICITY SEEMS TO LACK THE ABILITY TO SELF-CENSOR HER THOUGHTS WHEN SHE IS FLUSTERED AND HAS A TENDENCY TO BABBLE WHEN EMBARRASSED, WHICH COULD PROVE PROBLEMATIC IN THE WORKPLACE.) (FOR A MORE DETAILED ANALYSIS OF PERSONALITY TYPE INTJ, PLEASE REFER TO THE TEST RESULTS MANUAL.)” )

I think 16Personalites.com is wrong. To me, Felicity is more INTJ than ENTP.

ETA: Here are the 16 personality types - https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, tv echo said:

I think 16Personalites.com is wrong. To me, Felicity is more INTJ than ENTP.

I don't see how they put her as an extrovert. She's more likely to go home and watch Netflix with a glass of wine than go out to Verdant.

It was described to me like this:  It's been a tough day at work and you're exhausted.  How do you rejuvenate?  If you call up some friends to get together and go out or pizza party in, you're an extrovert.  If you long for some down time, maybe a bubble bath with a book and a glass of wine or put some music on or turn on the Netflix, you're an introvert. Even if you go out later, you need some quiet time first.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I don't see how they put her as an extrovert. She's more likely to go home and watch Netflix with a glass of wine than go out to Verdant.

It was described to me like this:  It's been a tough day at work and you're exhausted.  How do you rejuvenate?  If you call up some friends to get together and go out or pizza party in, you're an extrovert.  If you long for some down time, maybe a bubble bath with a book and a glass of wine or put some music on or turn on the Netflix, you're an introvert. Even if you go out later, you need some quiet time first.

From this, I'd say that Oliver went from extrovert to introvert.  Just an interesting thought.  

• Love 2

They're traits so they wouldn't change over time.  We iz what we iz.

We don't know what the real Oliver is.  Is he at heart really the guy who liked to party and after the island suffered from PTSD and so hid inside himself? If that's the case, after a few years of healing, he's going to go back to enjoying social occasions.  As Felicity said, inviting people to dinner parties is practically an addiction for him. Or is he really the kind of guy who prefers quiet times with his family and friends and he was just acting out being wild when he was younger because he didn't have a direction?

It' a fun game to see who is like which type but putting fictional characters into personality types doesn't work in seriousness because the characters are fictional.  They can be anything the writer wants them to be, just look at the differing opinions about Tommy in the Clock Tower thread yesterday.

• Love 2

They're traits so they wouldn't change over time.  We iz what we iz

See, I don't agree about this.  I think we may naturally lean a certain way but we might grow and change or in Oliver's case be traumatized and change and I don't believe it has to be a temporary change that is eventually overcome.  I think there are cases even for people just at different times in our lives finding our souls fed by different things and approaching things differently or by different degrees.  Least that's been my experience.  

It's an interesting discussion though.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

According to trait theory, traits are relatively stable over time and influence behaviour.  In contrast states are more transitory and affected by the current situation.

For example Felicity, since this is her thread.  She was probably never afraid to be a rule breaker -- she played with computers rather than girly toys, she didn't conform or hide her intellect to be popular.  At MIT she rebelled by going Goth and writing a very dangerous virus just for fun.   That's her trait.

Then the FBI showed up, Cooper was arrested and hanged himself in jail (she thought).  Felicity reacted by conforming, getting rid of the Goth look and dying her hair and settling for a safe IT job rather than the brilliance she was capable of.  That was her state in reaction to life events (just as Oliver being closed off emotionally was his reaction to his five years away.)

When Felicity met Oliver and Diggle, she started to come out from the state of fear of standing out and rocking the boat, and with their support gradually came back to the fearlessness that wa her trait. When Curtis asked her when she had become a badass, she replied 'always'.

You can't always tell what a person if from their behaviour.  One of my friends in high school had been an actress from the time she was a child.  To meet her you'd think she was a great extrovert but when we did the introversion/extroversion scale in class, she scored very high as an introvert.

I think if Tommy were a true extrovert, he would have taken the news about Malcolm cutting off his trust fund and Oliver being the Hood by seeking out other people. Instead he hid away inside himself.  Tommy seemed like an extrovert because that was what was expected of the Merlyn heir but he never seemed happy doing it.  He gave the fund raiser for Laurel because he wanted to help her,, not because he wanted another party.

I don't discount that sometimes people go through phases or states as you will and revert to old behavior, but I also think sometimes people change or grow up and stay that way.  It seems that the theory of Traits would say that they were just actualizing who they really were then inside, but I think a lot of people would disagree that who they'd been before was disingenuous to who they were then.  

I'm not discounting that some people always stay the same, but I think anytime something really major happens in ones' life, I think the possibility that someone is truly and permanently altered shouldn't be ruled out.  And that just the state of growing up and leaving childish behaviors behind does happen as well.  

In Felicity's case, she got rid of the goth look and conformed but once on the other side of her self-imposed exile to the safe IT department, she didn't return to dressing like a goth or dressing to seek attention.  Felicity upped her wardrobe and dresses to a very nice standard, but it's still conforming to an expected look.  I think dressing like a Goth was probably more of an immature reaction trying to prove she was not like her mother than seeking attention as a rule breaker or trying to stand out.  I think it was just one of those things she would have grown out of no matter what, but the shock around Cooper accelerated the change.    

And the dangerous virus she wrote was never meant to be used in a dangerous manner.  In her mind, she wrote a POWERFUL virus that would allow her to go anywhere and have the power to do all sorts of things but her intent was never more than to say "I was here" as a kind of a protest.  That's what she told Cooper.  It was something she did with a kind of a naive air, not thinking about how it could be used as a weapon or be really dangerous.  And then she woke up to the reality of how dangerous it was when Cooper misused it, went to jail and killed himself (so she thought).

I think she stopped being rebellious for the sake of being rebellious and stopped being naive about what she created and I don't think that's ever changed since she woke back up and started working at her full potential when she started working with Oliver. I think she permanently became more cautious.  (With the recklessness around Helix being the true blip) But her caution also normally comes with her massive intellect so she can be cautious while still taking seemingly huge risks because she is just that good, whereas, before Cooper, I think she was far more reckless and naive with what she created and risked.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

I also am an IJ. Lol.  I took the test for the first time in high school, and then in college I bought the book "Please Understand Me" which talks about all the different types.  I suspect it's been revised a few times in the last twenty years, but it was always very interesting to me.  

ETA:  actually never mind - I think I'm totally off base about there being a change.  Scratch that question.   Anyway, I think she looks very pretty here - this is from 3.06, right?

IMG_0747.JPG

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

That’s from 4x06 Lost Souls, Ray coming back from the dead episode. She looked exceptional in that episode. The tighter pony worked great with long hair in S2 IMO, but I agree a softer style works better with the shorter hair she has now.

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 1

HOW MANY VERSIONS OF FELICITY SMOAK IN DC UNIVERSE?

By my count, there have been at least 10 different versions of Felicity Smoak in the DCU so far...

A. ARROW TV SHOW (including tie-in books, comics and animated series that are part of show canon):

1. Earth-1 Felicity Smoak - This is our Felicity, the one who started out as an "I.T. girl" at Queen Consolidated, joined Team Arrow, became the only love interest of Oliver Queen, a/k/a Green Arrow, and is now married to Oliver.

2. AR* Future Earth-1 Felicity Smoak - This Felicity is never seen but only mentioned in this alternate reality future where Diggle's son, JJ, is Connor Hawke, a/k/a Green Arrow, and the Legends meet an old, one-armed Oliver. This Felicity had a company named Smoak Technologies, was working on a neuromorphic prototype, and had left Star City after the uprising that destroyed the city. (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, 1x08-Star City 2046).

(* Alternate Reality)

3. Alien Hallucinations of Felicity Smoak –  In the Dominators’ created hallucinations in Arrow’s 100th episode, one version of Felicity appeared as a vigilante working with Diggle (who was the Green Arrow), and another version of Felicity was Ray Palmer's fiancee and moved about awkwardly during the party. Neither version knew Oliver. (Arrow, 5x08-Invasion!)

4. AR Superhero Earth-1 Felicity Smoak - This Felicity was the last hero standing in Star City, wore a hooded superhero costume, was captured by Damien Darhk, and was killed by Sara Lance, in the Legion of Doom's alternate reality world. (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, 2x16-Doomworld).

5. Earth-X Felicity Smoak - This Felicity was a Jewish prisoner who appeared in the 2017 Arrowverse crossover event, who was ordered killed by Earth-X Nazi Quentin Lance, and who was saved by Earth-1 Oliver posing as Earth-X Oliver. (The Flash, 4x08-Crisis on Earth-X, Part 3).

B. DC COMICS:

6. Felicity Smoak Raymond - This Felicity is the pre-Arrow Felicity who married Ed Raymond and became the stepmother to Ronnie Raymond, a/k/a Firestorm. She is the most unrelated and unconnected version to our Felicity.

7. New 52 Felicity Smoak - This Felicity was inspired by the Arrow TV show but is not the same Felicity as in Arrow. This Felicity is a hacker-for-hire mercenary who was hired to help kill Green Arrow but ended up helping him instead and then joined Oliver and Diggle on Team Arrow.

8. Batgirl Felicity Smoak - This Felicity is the tween version who becomes a member of the Batgirls and exists in the AU World War II setting of the DC Comics Bombshells series and Bombshells United series. During the course of these two series, this Felicity ages from 11 years old to around 14 years old.

C. LEGO & VIDEO GAMES:

9.  Lego Felicity Smoak - This Felicity is a Super Heroes minifigure who appears in LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham. She has a device that allows her to turn invisible.

10.  Video Game Felicity Smoak - This Felicity is never seen but only mentioned in the Injustice: Gods Among Us video game. She is listed as the person who appears to have invented most of the Green Arrow's gear. Also, if the Flash clears Green Arrow's first life bar in one-on-one combat, the speedster will say, "That's for breaking Felicity's heart." Since the video game version of Oliver Queen looks different from Arrow's Oliver Queen, then I assume that this version of Felicity is also different from Arrow's Felicity.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

From the Green Arrow in Comics thread, since this really wasn't a comics thing:

No, because I don't believe that Felicity is dressed or directed to act in a way that is meant to avertly sexualise her or have the viewer consider her as a sexual object first, and as a talented heroic hacker second. She wears fashionable office attire when she's in the bunker which only requires sitting at a desk. And when put on the field she generally wears practical outfits. 

No, she really doesn't.

For proof, you can look at Dinah on Arrow, Kara, Lena Luthor, Sam and Cat Grant on Supergirl, Iris and Caitlin on Flash, or, for that matter, Felicity and Laurel back in season one, and Laurel again in seasons 3 and 4.  Flash does have a tendency to put Caitlin in high heels in Star Labs, and definitely sexes Iris up outside of the office from time to time. But otherwise, none of them, including Cat Grant and Lena Luthor who in show canon are wealthy women and style icons, are wearing anything remotely close to what Felicity is wearing, particularly in the office environment/team lairs. They're all wearing standard business attire - pants suits, or pencil skirts and blouses, or business suits. Alex generally stays in her DEO outfit or wears casual clothing.

Felicity, in contrast, keeps going through several changes of designer clothing. Many of her outfits are actually sold as evening wear/club clothing/weekend wear. It's not stuff worn to the office - even offices with a casual working environment.  In six seasons, we have almost never seen her in a standard business suit - skirt or pantsuit - even when she was the executive assistant to a company CEO, a Palmer Tech VP, and running the company. 

The only other woman dressed in a similar fashion? Thea, in seasons one through four. Not coincidentally, these also happen to be the only two main female characters regularly asked to be in hot/steamy makeout/sex scenes. Noticeably, once Thea stopped dating anyone in season five, her wardrobe turned into more standard business attire - the same thing that happened to Laurel in seasons three and four, when she, too, was single. 

This isn't coincidence. Felicity wears a sexed-up wardrobe because Arrow has her in a sexed up role.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

HOW MANY VERSIONS OF FELICITY SMOAK IN DC UNIVERSE?

By my count, there have been at least 8 or 9 different versions of Felicity Smoak in the DCU so far...

A. ARROW TV SHOW (including tie-in books, comics and animated series that are part of show canon):

1. Earth-1 Felicity Smoak - This is our Felicity, the one who started out as an "I.T. girl" at Queen Consolidated, joined Team Arrow, became the only love interest of Oliver Queen, a/k/a Green Arrow, and is now married to Oliver.

2. AR* Future Earth-1 Felicity Smoak - This Felicity is never seen but only mentioned in this alternate reality future where Diggle's son, JJ, is Connor Hawke, a/k/a Green Arrow, and the Legends meet an old, one-armed Oliver. This Felicity had a company named Smoak Technologies, was working on a neuromorphic prototype, and had left Star City after the uprising that destroyed the city. (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, 1x08-Star City 2046).

(* Alternate Reality)

3. AR Superhero Earth-1 Felicity Smoak - This Felicity was the last hero standing in Star City, wore a hooded superhero costume, was captured by Damien Darhk, and was killed by Sara Lance, in the Legion of Doom's alternate reality world. (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, 2x16-Doomworld).

4. Earth-X Felicity Smoak - This Felicity was a Jewish prisoner who appeared in the 2017 Arrowverse crossover event, who was ordered killed by Earth-X Nazi Quentin Lance, and who was saved by Earth-1 Oliver posing as Earth-X Oliver. (The Flash, 4x08-Crisis on Earth-X, Part 3).

B. DC COMICS:

5. Felicity Smoak Raymond - This Felicity is the pre-Arrow Felicity who married Ed Raymond and became the stepmother to Ronnie Raymond, a/k/a Firestorm. She is the most unrelated and unconnected version to our Felicity.

6. New 52 Felicity Smoak - This Felicity was inspired by the Arrow TV show but is not the same Felicity as in Arrow. This Felicity is a hacker-for-hire mercenary who was hired to help kill Green Arrow but ended up helping him instead and then joined Oliver and Diggle on Team Arrow.

7. Batgirl Felicity Smoak - This Felicity is the tween version who becomes a member of the Batgirls and exists in the AU World War II setting of the DC Comics Bombshells series and Bombshells United series. During the course of these two series, this Felicity ages from 11 years old to around 14 years old.

C. LEGO & VIDEO GAMES:

8.  Lego Felicity Smoak - This Felicity is a Super Heroes minifigure who appears in LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham. She has a device that allows her to turn invisible.

9.  Video Game Felicity Smoak - This Felicity is never seen but only mentioned in the Injustice: Gods Among Us video game. She is listed as the person who appears to have invented most of the Green Arrow's gear. Also, if the Flash clears Green Arrow's first life bar in one-on-one combat, the speedster will say, "That's for breaking Felicity's heart." Since the video game version of Oliver Queen looks different from Arrow's Oliver Queen, then I assume that this version of Felicity is also different from Arrow's Felicity.

Very interesting list!

Felicity and Iris wardrobes are fairly similar from my perception. I also don't think either character is dressed up in a way that is overtly sexualised, exposed or distracting the viewers attention by begging them to look at their boobs, ass or legs instead of what they are doing or saying- like they were being illustrated in the comic panels being discussed.  They were illustrated in a way that highlighted or focused on the characters attributes, and in Black Canarys case, and a couple of the villian characters, came across like sexual objects more then women. Which, in a comic marketed to young girls, where strong,  indentifable and non sexualised female characters are underrepresented already, is something I'm not a big fan of. 

Felicity and Iris are also not teenagers and potentially preadolescent teenagers like some of the characters in the comic panels who were illustrated to have bosom showing in their shirts that girls that age wouldn't have and was likely intended to give male readers something to perve on. 

And since Iris and Felicity don't really do anything that requires much physicality, their outfits aren't impractical or detracting from what is required from their characters. They might not be dressed comfortable, but their outfits don't prevent them from sitting behind a computer or talking on Comms. 

50 minutes ago, quarks said:

Many of her outfits are actually sold as evening wear/club clothing/weekend wear. It's not stuff worn to the office - even offices with a casual working environment.

I think they definitely dress Felicity in a specific manner and they upped their game after season one and some of the outfit changes during episodes is laughable, but in previous discussions about Felicity's outfits, we did have posters on the coasts and other places saying that in their experience how Felicity was dressing was pretty common at their offices, so while it's probably not everywhere, it seems it is worn to some offices.  And it's become a common tv look in other shows set in offices so it probably doesn't really stand out to me.   But yes, Felicity is certainly the fashion plate of the show.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, quarks said:

Felicity, in contrast, keeps going through several changes of designer clothing. Many of her outfits are actually sold as evening wear/club clothing/weekend wear. It's not stuff worn to the office - even offices with a casual working environment.

I definitely agree that Felicity has an huge amount of changes of designer clothing.  So many that it's got me wondering whether the CW gets a kickback from designers or stores when she wears one of their outfits.  It would be a way of getting some more money to cover costs.

Where I live, which is a large city, business attire depends on what business you're in.  I can get away dressing like Lyla, friends who work in advertising or in media often dress like Felicity does. Star City isn't that big but other than the boob dress, I've never thought that she dresses inappropriately

The shoes however are my bete noire. Sometimes when she's in the field they will put Felicity in shoes she can move in but other times like 5x19 when she went to get Cayden James out, they've still got her in high heels.  EBR herself takes off the shoes whenever her feet are not in a shot; you can occasionally see her wearing flip flops or flats when the camera catches her feet in a scene where she thought they would be hidden.

However, as badly as they sexualize Felicity at times, fortunately it never reaches the level of House's Lisa Cuddy. That was a woman who dressed in such tight clothes and short skirts, there were times when it seemed like she forgot to put a blouse on under her jacket.

1 hour ago, quarks said:

But otherwise, none of them, including Cat Grant and Lena Luthor who in show canon are wealthy women and style icons, are wearing anything remotely close to what Felicity is wearing, particularly in the office environment/team lairs.

You're right about Cat Grant (maybe because she's an oldz) but I disagree about Lena.  Some episodes I'm wondering why she's wearing cocktail dresses to work. It's more glaring to me that Felicity's clothes.

• Love 1

Coincidentally, this article was just published today...

Geeks shall inherit the wardrobe
Mini Anthikad Chhibber FEBRUARY 26, 2018 
http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/fashion/geeks-shall-inherit-the-wardrobe/article22857999.ece

What do nerds wear? A crumpled lab coat, Einstein hair and thick glasses, or a black turtle neck with blue jeans? We try to find answers with a little help from our favourite guide, pop culture
Straight ‘A’s

From Lisbeth’s dark and distressed palette to the nattily-dressed Felicity Smoak in the television series, Arrow. The skilled hacker from DC Comics played by Emily Bett Rickards is a far cry from the rumpled, crumpled, weird and wonderfully dressed geek. From peep hem and belted dresses to Marc Jacobs’ navy print cardigans and a leather trimmed skirt by Alexander Wang, Felicity proves that a love for bits and bytes doesn’t exclude you from a fondness for fashion.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

I forgot about the alien hallucination version of Felicity (I must've blanked out Arrow's 100th episode from my memory), so I've added that one to my list of Felicity versions above.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

There's two alien versions of Felicity, one who shrieked when Oliver appeared in Diggle's Green Arrow lair, and Ray's arm candy who twirled like a music box dancer in the background when she was left alone.

When Felicity is doing some hacking at a STAR labs desk in her first or second crossover appearance, you can see she's wearing flip flops on her feet.

• Love 5
On 2/26/2018 at 12:02 PM, statsgirl said:

There's two alien versions of Felicity, one who shrieked when Oliver appeared in Diggle's Green Arrow lair, and Ray's arm candy who twirled like a music box dancer in the background when she was left alone.

Felicity twirling when she was offline was just a brilliant piece of acting by EBR.

• Love 10
(edited)

Since I didn't start collecting Arrow info until around late S3 or S4, every time I come across an old interview (or news article) from the first two seasons, I'm pleasantly surprised (it's new to me) - here's an April 24, 2013 interview with EBR that was conducted by KSiteTV (a/k/a GreenArrowTV) just prior to 1x20-Home Invasion airing (I didn't transcribe everything)...

Interview With Arrow's Felicity Smoak - Emily Bett Rickards
Published on Apr 24, 2013, by KSiteTV

-- On whether she expected it to be a one-shot deal when she got the role of Felicity Smoak on Arrow, EBR: "Yeah, that's exactly what I expected... It said 'possibly recurring,' but you never know. It is what it is. You go in for one day. You hope so bad it's going to be recurring... When I got the second episode, I was just like, 'yeah!' I thought for sure that was going to be it. And, um, here I am."

-- On her reaction when she found out she had been promoted to series regular for Season 2, EBR: "I was ecstatic. I was extremely thankful, grateful, honored... I'm not usually speechless. I'm pretty speechless about it. I'm so excited... I'm super thankful."

-- On whether she was surprised by the instant fan reaction when Felicity was on for just one scene, EBR: "Um, I guess I was kinda in shock because I never really - I never - I never really looked at the fanbase, you know, when - ... I mean, I was going to say, oh, that's so nice, they like her, I'm really glad that they like her, because that's a huge compliment to me and a huge compliment to our creative and our writing team. And I'm just like, I'm so happy about that. And then, um, thanks to the fans and the reaction, I mean, they brought me back. And, I mean, you know, that was great for me and I got to explore Felicity more, so that's what I'm really excited about."

-- On how Felicity can concentrate when they're in the lair and Oliver's doing shirtless exercises, EBR: "Concentrate? She just stares at him. She's like, 'oh, there you are.' Shirtless. Getting spray down. Um, she's a great multitasker. How's that sound?"

-- On how she, as an actress, can concentrate when SA's doing shirtless exercises, EBR: "Um, I don't know. I - he's obviously extremely good-looking, but we're working and Stephen and I are friends. It's just really fun. I always bug him too if he has his shirt off. It's like, I'm going to have a great day today."

-- On whether it's possible that Felicity might not be everything she appears to be and might be a mole for Malcolm Merlyn "or something evil like that", EBR: "Not that I know of, actually. But that would be very interesting... I don't think so, no."

-- On why Felicity sticks by Oliver at a time when both Diggle and Tommy are mad at him, EBR: "I think Felicity - Felicity doesn't get in - she gets involved in the sense that she wants to have everyone honest with each other and work things out. But she's not going to judge everyone individually on what happened between them. If it involves her or not, I think she takes - what's really strong about Felicity is that she takes her own view and looks at things very objectively. And I think that comes from working with computers, 'cause there's literally a one way, you know - it's either you do this and it works, or you do this and it doesn't. And, you know, she looks at things objectively and she goes, 'okay, this works and this works,' and, you know, there's pros and cons to both situations. And I think that's really admirable of her."

-- On the possibility of romance between Felicity and Oliver, EBR: "Possiblities of 'Olicity.' Olicity's a great ship. I don't know who came up with it. I would love to be the first person who came up with it. It's great. Um, I don't know. I've - you know, I've said this from - since Olicity sort of started being shipped, that we get to see the relationship evolve. We get to see them become more honest with one another and see them open up. And Oliver doesn't open up to very many people. And you know when you meet someone who doesn't open up to very many people, that you can feel that, you can feel yourself, um, admiring them. And, you know, you love someone that you're friends with and you'll have someone that you can look up to and you'll have someone that you can admire and be honest with. And I think those are all the right steps into making a relationship. But they also don't, um, guarantee that's what's going to happen."

-- On the possibility of romance between Felicity and someone else like maybe Diggle, EBR: "I think that would be kinda fun. Um, I don't know, I think Felicity has earned a - will earn a romance, or some sort of interesting romance friendship in Season 2. I mean, I'm not sure because I don't know much about that. But I think she's earned it and I think it's extremely possible."

-- On what she'd like to see for her in Season 2 in general, EBR: "Well, I'd like to see her home life. I mean, I'd like to learn more about her home life and where she comes from. And obviously, I'd like to see her doing combat, but that's for me, not for Felicity. (Laughs) I don't think she'd be too coordinated. You know what I mean... Yeah, I'd like to see more of her home life, where she comes from, who her parents are."

-- On whether she thinks Felicity could ever put on a costume, EBR: "Well, she kinda does when she puts on a dress, but if she puts on a cape? I don't know. Would her cape be purple? I don't know. Just sayin'."

-- On whether she had followed comics before getting cast on Arrow, EBR: "I hadn't really. I was never introduced to that world, and I'm really happy I am now, because I love it."

-- On whether she's seen the comic book version of Felicity Smoak, EBR: "Yes, I have. She is quite different. I mean, she's older and there's RIchard Raymond and we have that whole thing with Firestorm, so obviously that's - we're staying away from actual superpowers on the show. Um, so there's things that won't happen and things that will... Our writers and our creative team have picked and chose what they sort of want and what direction they want the show to go in... So yeah, I'm not that tall, I'm not brunette, I'm not that old... She's smart - I don't know if she was awkward - she's not that awkward in the series. I think she was sort of like straight to it, you know what I mean? Um, but I love - I love Felicity in Arrow. I love her."

-- On whether she has anything planned for the summer hiatus like any movies, EBR: "Well, I am auditioning this week, so I'll keep you posted."

-- On whether she's planning any convention appearances, EBR: "I don't quite know yet. I hope to be."

-- On why she thinks the audience has connected to Felicity so well, EBR: "I think she's really admirable. I think that she is honest and she doesn't - 'cause she can't, she doesn't have a filter, so she doesn't hold back what she's thinking. And, you know, she's - she helps out a superhero and she's got all these cool gadgets."

-- On what she thought when she received the script for the episode in which Felicity found out what was going on with Oliver, EBR: "Well, I liked what Felicity said in that script too. She was like, 'you know, I'm not stupid, I'm not an idiot, you gave me an energy drink in a syringe,' right? ... I don't think she was shocked to find out that Oliver was the Hood, but I think that she was surprised that she actually hadn't linked it earlier. Um, because what do you think, that Oliver Queen's going to be the Hood? You know, you aren't going to think that, because you just don't, it's impossible to think. That's why Oliver hasn't been found out yet. It is impossible to think. But I think it's important and I think Felicity was scared... She's still frightened, but we get to see her sort of dissolve her fears... Yeah, when she first found out, unstill waters." (Laughs)

-- On whether she thinks Oliver is a better person or better at what he does "now that Felicity is part of his gang", EBR: "I think, you know, they're learning from each other. I think that's what happens in our relationships in our everyday life. And I think, whether or not he's a better person, I think she's opened his eyes to other aspects - you know, these are real people, like, you are killing real people whether or not they are bad guys. And, you are a real person and you can't get lost in playing the vigilante or else you're going to destroy your personal life."

-- On Felicity going undercover again in an upcoming episode involving Big Belly Burger, EBR: "It's part of her facade. And it helps her move around. She's not in a dress. So think about that." Inteviewer: "Fishnets? Anything like that?" EBR: "No fishnets."

-- On whether Felicity meets any other characters by the end of Season 1, EBR: "Yeah, she does get to meet a couple more characters... I think she says 'hi' to Laurel at some point."

-- On whether Felicity is still doing her IT job while helping out Oliver, EBR: "She is still doing it."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

Now that there's an Olicity kid, I'm looking back to March 9, 2013...

Arrow - Andrew Kreisberg and Marc Guggenheim Talk About the Popularity of Felicity's Character
Published on Oct 8, 2014, by The Paley Center for Media

And May 14, 2013...

Stephen Amell on the Oliver and Felicity Paring on "Arrow"
Published on May 14, 2013, by Larry King

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I love watching them talk about Felicity and EBR.  

Also in the Paley clip they mention there are two cities that Oliver will never go to.  (Followed by the standard "well never say never") but Oliver has now gone to both Gotham and Metropolis so that amuses/pleases me for some reason.  

I also love how obvious it now seems in the Larry King clip that Olicity was totally going to happen.  

• Love 2

I was reading this recent interview with Elizabeth Tulloch (who plays Lois Lane) and I had the same thought that I had when I first read a transcript of the audition scene for Kara/Supergirl a few years back (Kara meeting James Olsen for the first time) - they're trying to create another adorable Felicity-like character...

https://www.themarysue.com/interview-elizabeth-tulloch-crisis-on-infinite-earths/ 

As for Routh and Lois meeting that version of Superman/Clark, it sounds like the scene will have some humor. “That will be a very cute scene I think,” Tulloch shared. “Part of what makes Lois lane such a charming character is when she gets flustered and discombobulated, and meeting a new superman would lead to that result.” But there’s another reporter who doesn’t work at the Daily Planet who fans have been dying to see Lois meet.
This crossover is certainly much darker than last year’s Elseworlds, but there’s still lightness and levity and some of that comes from Lois. “You definitely have a lot of light-hearted moments,” Tulloch said, “because part of Lois Lane is that she inadvertently is sort of clumsy or funny or a little bit sarcastic or a little bit sassy.” Also having a baby around brings some joy. “You have a scene where Mick Rory is babysitting,” Tulloch shared and we now can’t wait to see that. “So you definitely have moments of humor that punctuate the gravity of the situation,”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 3

I would add this quote to the category of 'Evidence That Felicity Smoak Set the Template for Essential Arrowverse Team Members'...

Supergirl: 10 Most Hated Supporting Characters Of All Time
Ben Pettitt    January 24, 2020
https://screenrant.com/supergirl-hated-supporting-characters/

... However, at this point, Winn just felt like Supergirl's knock off version of Felicity Smoak. He even had her same awkward mannerisms and computing skills.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Hah, I thought it was Kara who got compared to Felicity because of the "awkward blonde assistant  with glasses in a pink shirt" thing she had going on in the pilot, despite being completely different characters and making completely different acting choices. 

I think they decided all Arrowverse shows would have Team X for their superheroes and that's because it worked out well on Arrow, which has frustrated parts of the Flash and Supergirl fandom as those characters "should" be doing more by themselves or with just one other person. Felicity is a big part of that and there's a more direct template of her in the quirky tech characters than there is in Diggle for mentor/brother characters. Or at least it's easier to point to because sitting down behind computers is a dead giveaway. That said I don't find Winn and Felicity particularly alike, and I like both characters. 

I had a hard time separating Luke Fox from Curtis-lite when Batwoman began, partly because of character template and partly due to some similar acting choices and there's a lot more of early Felicity in early (S4) Curtis. 

Edited by Featherhat

2012 casting announcements for Felicity Smoak...

Arrow Casts Firestorm’s Stepmother?!?
Craig Byrne  August 3, 2012
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-casts-firestorms-stepmother/

A casting website listed Emily Bett Rickards as being cast as “Felicity Smoak.” This is a potentially recurring role — or at least, that’s what the casting website says. Emily has confirmed that she was shooting Arrow today on her @EmilyBett Twitter feed.

What the casting site doesn’t say is that Felicity Smoak is a character from DC Comics, first appearing in Fury Of Firestorm #23 nearly thirty years ago. In the comics, Smoak was a manager of a computer software company who later ended up suing Firestorm. Oops.
We do not know how Smoak fits into the “Lone Gunmen” story. Obviously, the actress looks too young to be anyone’s mother, but perhaps this character will have something to do with either computer software or litigation? Either way, like Big Belly Burger and Constantine Drakon, any nod to the larger DC universe — even with just a character name — is always welcome. Now, that character name could also conceivably change between now and the actual shoot — but here’s hoping that this little nod sticks.

Shiri Appleby Poised To Recur On NBC's 'Chicago Fire' & More TV Castings
Nellie Andreeva   Aug. 10, 2012
http://deadline.com/2012/08/shiri-appleby-poised-to-recur-on-nbcs-chicago-fire-more-tv-castings-316918/

Canadian Emily Bett Rickards has landed a recurring role on the new CW drama Arrow, which takes on the Green Arrow comics. She will play Felicity Smoak, a DC Comics character known for her technical expertise. Smoak on Arrow is a similar character, an IT wunderkind at Queen Consolidated.

Which DC Comics Characters Are Coming to CW's Arrow?
Natalie Abrams  Sep. 9, 2012
https://www.tvguide.com/news/arrow-dc-comics-characters-1052801/

Oliver will actually be surrounded by women, with one of his new inner circle being Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards), Firestorm's stepmother in DC mythos. "On our show, she's a brilliant IT girl at Queen Consolidated and she's become a little bit of Oliver's unknowing Scooby gang," Kreisberg says. "She's brilliant, but tough and sarcastic and doesn't relate well to people. Oliver is constantly coming to her for computer problems, and whether she knows it or not, she's actually helping him solve some of the cases."

Edited by tv echo

About EBR's audition...

-- David Rapaport: “Ultimately, my goal is to cast the best people for the show, with that potential pop factor, and Emily is the perfect example... That could have just been a one-line role but she popped. We’ve also cast roles that were supposed to be 9-, 10-episode arcs that have turned into one episode and they’re killed off. So, it goes both ways. I never know. That’s a difficult part of the process.”
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/the-man-who-helped-build-the-cw

-- AK: "It's really all because of Emily [Bett Rickards]. I mean, truthfully, you know, we wrote that as a - you know, we never intended to, 'hey, we're introducing a new recurring character who one day is going to find out Oliver Queen's secret.'  It was just, 'oh, Oliver needed to go to an IT girl, and we decided to make it somebody, you know in Queen Consolidated, and we gave her a little bit of edge, which we thought was fun. And Marc and I saw like - you know, the casting people, they send you the videos of the readings of the, you know, people who come in to read, and she was clearly the best one. And we did it once and, you know, what's going to happen. And, you know, we were watching, you know - sometimes we'll watch the show like with twitter - (MG interjected, "And by 'sometimes,' we mean every week") - and that first episode that she was on, like all of a sudden, it was like, 'hey, who's the blonde IT girl? who's the blonde IT girl?' And, you know, then we were getting feedback from, you know - Peter Roth, who's the President of Warner Brothers, called us and said, 'I love the blonde computer girl.' - (general laughter) - And, um, that first scene with her became proof of concept for what she could be because, you know, Stephen [Amell] was so funny in that scene, you know, that first scene with her." SA: "I don't think that my character had cracked a smile, you know, before episode 3 when I saw her. And we were shooting that - I remember calling you guys afterwards. I started saying, 'Emily was really great and that was a really fun scene to shoot.' I had a - you know, I'm legitimately laughing at her as she's bubbling away, and I'm so happy, you know, it was getting lonely in the Foundry with Diggle." DR: "It was, it was. I mean, how many sit-ups can I watch this dude so? - (general laughter) - Sad. It was very sad before Felicity."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk-8iCIK6Tw

-- Per AK, Oliver needed some IT help, so they introduced the Felicity character for one episode.  The quirky Felicity-type character was originally created by AK for the Red Faction pilot for SyFy. In fact, Felicity was originally going to be Karen Beecher, also known as Bumblebee, but Bumblebee was a big character for a one-off scene, so they changed the character's name to Felicity Smoak (who's Firestorm's stepmom and a computer person who doesn't do anything else in the comics).  AK: "We saw like a bunch of actresses. I remember Marc was standing over my shoulder.  Emily read... - she was working in a pet store at the time, she had like one credit, one guest starring credit... one like co-star credit on like some Canadian show - and we were both just, like, bedazzled by her. Like, she was weird and quirky and funny and we were like ‘Let’s hire her’. We’ll make that scene fun. And then we got those dailies back and we were all like, everybody was like, ‘Did you see those dailies with Stephen and, and, and that girl?’ Because you could tell something happened to him. He, like, lightened up, and he, like, got smiley and he really liked her and it came through on screen… And then the network called, and then the studio called, and they were like, 'This girl, who is she? Like, what’s her deal? .... Fuck this. Imagine how much more fun this scene with him, Dig in the cave would be if he had Felicity there to... [Arrow] wasn’t Arrow until… the episode where [Felicity Smoak] kinda found out. Like from that point on it feels much more like the show."
http://www.smodcast.com/channel/fatmanonbatman?audio=103

-- MG: "We always knew that Diggle would learn Oliver’s identity and become his ally. Felicity was a big surprise. She started off as a one-off character in episode three of the first season. As we were writing episode four, we were seeing such great dailies from Emily Bett Rickards, we thought, 'Let’s put her in episodes four and five.' We had so much fun writing for her. Then the network kept saying, 'We’re going to see her again, right?’ We were like, 'Way ahead of you!' Eventually, you get to the point where she has to learn Oliver’s secret or she’s the biggest idiot in the world. So we brought her into the fold. I wish I could say this was our master plan from the start, but it really wasn’t. One of the things we always say about the show is that we need to have a plan, but we also need to give ourselves room to deviate from that plan. Part of that deviation is writing towards actors we’re responding to as producers, and writing to their strengths. You have to listen to the rhythms the show is hitting and push it towards what works."
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/06/catching-up-with-arrow-showrunner-marc-guggenheim.html

-- MG: "Felicity was never part of the plan... She was this wonderful surprise. But we realized that there’s only so many BS excuses that Oliver can give her before it started to really strain credulity... In many ways, it was a choice that Felicity either learns the secret, or she goes away, and her going away was never an option."
http://www.etonline.com/slideshow/gallery/165303_bit_part_to_series_star/#8

-- MG: "I mean, Felicity was never part of the original plan of the show. She was supposed to be a one off. Had we cast anyone other than Emily Rickards, she would have been a one off. And we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. But one of the great things, I feel, about television as opposed to a feature is you have an opportunity -- week in, week out -- to respond to what your actors are giving you."
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marc-guggenheim-talks-new-arrow-characters-legends-craziness

-- MG: "With television, you can react, like… and sometimes it’s like, 'Wow, that, you know, that Emily Rickards, who was supposed to be in one episode, she’s pretty great.  I want to see more scenes with her in it in the show'."
http://nearmintcomicshow.com/2015/08/24/ep-079-•-near-minterview-w-marc-guggenheim/

-- MG: "I remember viscerally when I first saw [Emily Bett Rickards'] audition. Auditions are all posted online, and [when] I first saw her audition, I remember, not quite running, but certainly fast walking down to [Executive Producer 2012-2018] Andrew Kreisberg's office, to be like, 'You need to see this actor right now. This person is special.' So, that was a moment both for the series and for the show."
https://www.ign.com/articles/arrow-best-episodes-most-important-marc-guggenheim

-- EBR: "Well, when I found out I got the role I wasn’t aware that I was auditioning for Felicity Smoak. It was under the name of Karen Beecher who comes from Teen Titans, if I’m not mistaken. When I found out she was nerdy and super-smart, getting to know her and getting to know her character was looking into the DC Comics world and channeling that sort-of awkward ability that I think is ingrated in every one thing and finding her little ticks and buttons and knowing how her brain works systematically."
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/TheAlexLynch/news/?a=74192

-- EBR: "Looking back on it, it was just a whirlwind at first, and it's still a dream come true. It was episode three of Season 1 where I went and auditioned for the part. It was a 'possibly recurring' role, but possible doesn't end up happening a whole lot -- or ever. [Laughs] So when I got a recurring role, I was really excited and just crying and happy. I got to keep coming back, and I cannot express to you how much I've been able to learn working on the show and growing with Felicity. I've never been able to grow with a character for this long -- across two seasons! ... What's been so fun for me is that I never expected it. The word 'regular' wasn't even in my vocabulary, so recurring more than two times was wild enough. I got to grow with the audience, so every time I stepped back on the set, I was stepping back on, not knowing what was coming next. It was really fun when I finally got to go the table read in episode eight of Season 1. It really has just been like a dream."
https://www.cbr.com/emily-bett-rickards-brings-personality-to-arrows-felicity-smoak/

-- EBR: "I auditioned for Episode 3.  I had two scenes in that.  So, I just went in for one day, and people were kind enough to bring me back."
http://collider.com/arrow-emily-bett-rickards-interview/

-- EBR: "I went in for one audition, and I hadn’t seen those casting directors in forever.  And then a few hours later, I was at work.  I used to work at this dog shop where me and my dog would just chill and hang out, and I would run lines behind the counter with my feet up on the table.  And I got a call saying I was on hold, and that was great, and I just went in and did the one day. Then they called me back, and then they called me back again a couple weeks later.  And it just sort of grew, and all of a sudden this term of “regular” was being thrown around, which meant nothing to me at the time because I didn’t understand what it meant.  And here I am, living the dream."
http://www.thetvaddict.com/2014/01/22/arrow-emily-bett-rickards-interview/

-- EBR: “I think I was very lucky. Felicity came in at a point where the show needed that sort of light and that sort of chemistry, so I was lucky to be able to pick that up, fit that role, and fit with the show. As time goes on, I've heard many stories, but as far as I knew, I was being signed for two scenes — one day of acting. And, I was freaking out because it was so exciting. ... Stephen was very complimentary on my first day working; he said he had a lot of fun when he talked to the producers and execs. And, then, when they showed the episode to journalists for the first look, everyone was sort of asking who Felicity was, and that sort of sparked some interest. I was just very lucky… and then there was this explosion of love and passion and relatability to her.”
http://www.refinery29.com/emily-bett-rickards-interview#page-1

-- EBR: "Okay, when I first got the audition, it was those two scenes in Episode 3 with the bullet-ridden computer and more of the bullet-ridden computer. And there wasn't much in the comics. I didn't dive too deep in because I got the audition like two days before or like an hour before, I was working at this – my dog and I used to work at this dog shop, so we got the - I was studying the lines in there and researching on – yeah, the dog worked too, which was the only way I could have the job - 'cause the dog was like six months old and then we worked at this dog shop called Wagabubba, which was awesome. Um, and I was like in - we sold dog apparel, not dogs, just to be clear. Dog dresses and stuff. And I was like trying - I remember like being on the computer and trying to research it, and there was barely anything on Felicity Smoak. Like nothing, like, she's connected to Firestorm. So there wasn't actually a whole lot for me to work off of. I more was interested in the lines of Felicity diving into Shakespeare, which made a lot of sense to me because the night before I went to go see Taming of the Shrew, so I was like, oh, this is kismet. Um, with a friend of mine, Emma Rendell [sp?], who's an amazing musical theater artist, who I did musical theater with as a kid. So it was like just really fun. And we were in acting classes together at the time, so she helped me run the audition. Brian Roose [sp?] helped me run the audition, also another actor from Vancouver. That was like six years ago. Like six years ago. I was 20 when I got that audition. Isn't that crazy?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYzvUj-gjcE

-- EBR: "I went into the room, like hundreds of auditions before, and loved the character. I saw... I think I saw Hamlet the night before with my friend [Emma Rendell(?)], who I have been acting with since the beginning - and she's in London, so I'm going to see her next week. But, yeah, the audition had, you know, Shakespeare themes through it. And it was just kind of like this weird mix of things that were just sort of lining up. And then I got a call being like, ''you have to call into your shop at the dog apparel store and tell them you can't work tomorrow night.' And I was like, 'no, but yay!" And then they kept calling, they were like, 'can you come back?" And I was forced to quit that dog apparel shop. ... Well, it took a full season to sort of understand the gravitas of what she was, you know, becoming in that universe... So that was episode 3 and then I think I was in - I might have been in 4, but definitely like around 7 or 8, they were like, 'we're going to use you for a couple more, um, like 12 and 13,' and stuff like that. But that jargon, like 'recurring,' 'regular', wasn't even in my vocabulary to a certain extent. It was sort of like, acting, working, what days, like 'when do you need me, at what time?' ... I didn't know what she was becoming."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPSYNMSkNB4

-- EBR: "I went in for an audition. And I was working at a dog apparel shop with my dog at the time and had to close the shop to go to the audition. And then, um, rolled in the next day - I was, like, put on the hold. Then we shot, got the part, went in and shot the scene, and that was over. Went and got beers with my best friend. Then a couple weeks later, they were like, 'Can you come back?' I was like, 'Yeah.' And then they kept asking me back. I was like, 'Uhhhhh! This is incredible. What is happening?'"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-23dab2ocnI

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, tv echo said:

We do not know how Smoak fits into the “Lone Gunmen” story. Obviously, the actress looks too young to be anyone’s mother, but perhaps this character will have something to do with either computer software or litigation? Either way, like Big Belly Burger and Constantine Drakon, any nod to the larger DC universe — even with just a character name — is always welcome. Now, that character name could also conceivably change between now and the actual shoot — but here’s hoping that this little nod sticks.

Considering who wrote this, that last part is really ironic. 😏

• LOL 3