Type keyword(s) to search

The Masked Singer

• Start Topic

Oh, there's one more clue that the Raven is Ricki Lake:  Ravens are the mascot of Baltimore, because of Edgar Allen Poe.   Hairspray (the first movie) starred Ricki Lake, and is centered in Baltimore.  It's not much of a clue, but "singing female talk show host" is a narrow enough set that a lot of people were already ruled out.

I just got that "filmed in advance" is another reason not to use live call-in/results, and the audience isn't the worst stand-in for the general public. 

If it fits Weird Al's schedule, I could see him wanting to do it, but none of the characters this year seemed enough like him to be a clean fit.

I watched a little bit of the Korean version of this show, so I think I got my hopes up a little too high when watching the American version. It's definitely more about the costumes and it being a guessing game then it is about the singing. Also, the panel is absolutely awful. I'm glad you can watch a condensed version of the show on YouTube and see only the performances/clues/reveal and limit having to listen to the brain trust they assembled make truly dumb guesses. Since it seems like the show is pretty successful, I hope if there is a second season they can get a brand new panel and maybe attract more singing talent.

That being said, the show has piqued my curiosity, so I'm going to keep following it. The costumes are really well made and pretty cool to look at. I also lol'd when they showed that picture of Joey Fatone - it's like the stock photo jokes of Homer they'd have on The Simpsons.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

For every wrong guess, Dr. Ken vaccinates someone's kid. 

Yes!  Awesome...

2 hours ago, Impromptu said:

The Bee's voice is the only one that sounded really familiar - my guess would be Roberta Flack.

Oooohhhh....  Now here's another good idea.  Dionne Warwick was also a possibility posited by the judges, and I can see that.  But Gladys Knight has been on a comeback blitz lately--for instance she had a recent guest starring role on Hawaii 5-0--so I think she's on a publicity push for a senior fling at fame extra fame.  I'm sticking with my Gladys Knight guess, but if it is Roberta Flack or Dionne Warwick, I'll cheer along with the rest of you.

• Love 4

Pineapple? I knew it was Cheech or Chong from the hints before he sang. Also, now that Antonio Brown was revealed, I'm going to guess most people have been on DWTS...

Rabbit -  That was Joey's exact belly. Joey Fatone is SUCH a ham. He's the rabbit. I have no question. (has done DWTS)

Raven?  I badly wanted this to be Raven, but yeah, she's Ricki Lake (has done DWTS)

Alien? Kendall Jenner - she said tons of sisters which none of the Jackson generations are known for. (2 Kardashians did DWTS while she was underage...)

Poodle? Not a damn clue but Margaret Cho did DWTS.

Bee? I wanted Dionne Warwick but okay, it's Gladys Knight. She did DWTS, right?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

I knew it was Cheech or Chong from the hints before he sang. Also, now that Antonio Brown was revealed, I'm going to guess most people have been on DWTS...

Yes to this.  "I'll take DWTS for one thousand, Alex."

Of the guesses compiled from this thread, here (so far) are the ones that have appeared as contestants on DWTS:

Antonio Brown

Tommy Chong

Gladys Knight

Margaret Cho

Donny Osmond

Ricki Lake

Lance Bass

Joey Fatone

• Love 4

Thoughts on the Poodle being Maya Rudolph? She sounds so much like her when she sings. Musical family, known for comedy but wants to be known for her voice. No clue if San Francisco fits at all. But "Your Honor" could be a reference to Maya as the Judge on The Good Place. 

Whoever the poodle is, they sound like Maya when they sing. 

• Love 1

Thoughts on the Poodle being Maya Rudolph?

As you note, she fits the evidence well, and although she has done some nice singing on SNL, she's more known for comedy. 

I also considered Melissa Villasenor, but I don't know enough about her personal life to know if it's a fit.

I don't think either of them has done DWTS, though sooner or later most people will.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, blackwing said:

I think Janet, Miss Jackson if you please as the Alien   Musical family, there were five aliens shown, she wants to be in Control.

Ozzy Osborne as the Rabbit   I thought one of the clues said something about a train, and he’s in a straitjacket because he’s Crazy.

I totally buy Diana Ross as the Bee.  She is the queen, she wants to share her music with a new generation, she started singing in the 50s.

No idea about the Poodle.

I thought the Alien was LaToya while she was talking in the clues section, and her movements and voice during the performance did not dissuade me.

I think the Rabbit is an n'syncer because part of the clue package was "it's gonna be me".  It didn't sound like Fatone to me, though when the judges were saying that.

I wondered briefly if Diana Ross might be the Bee, but that's because I think the Poodle is Tracee Ellis Ross.I think the rainbow was a reference to her character on blackish; her mother is singing royalty, but she's a comedienne. So then I thought maybe it'd be funny symmetry if they were singing against each other. That said, soundwise I thought the Bee might be Roberta Flack but I couldn't figure out how to connect any of the (video) clues to her.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Thoughts on the Poodle being Maya Rudolph? She sounds so much like her when she sings. Musical family, known for comedy but wants to be known for her voice. No clue if San Francisco fits at all. But "Your Honor" could be a reference to Maya as the Judge on The Good Place. 

Whoever the poodle is, they sound like Maya when they sing. 

She attended University Of California Santa Cruz which is near San Francisco.

• Love 1

I just found this show on demand, since I like Nick Cannon a lot and love Ken Jeong. It reminds me a lot of the silly summer show a while back called "Sing Your Face Off." I loved that hot mess of a show.

I think the Bee is Gladys Knight, and I thought the Alien might be Kendall Jenner, because they kept talking about her being a model, and in one of the images of the clue package, she was in front and there were four more aliens behind her (her four sisters.) But, I don't know if Kris would let herself be "left out" like that!

• Love 1

Considering the Bee sounds just like Gladys Knight and she's an alum of DwTS, I'm going with the Gladys Knight as Bee.  Obviously the judges know who all the singers are but are given a script to keep it kicky and fun.  

BTW, how much does Robin Thicke sound just like his dad.  

• Love 8
On 1/10/2019 at 1:38 PM, icemiser69 said:
On 1/9/2019 at 7:18 PM, bettername2come said:

Didn't they say unicorn was 5'8"? That rules out Nichole Richie, but leaves Paris in the running. 

I think the unicorn is Paris. 

I just finished watching the first episode on demand and paid attention to all the heights. They're great clues for ruling out or confirming guesses*. I've been googling for the last five minutes, lol. 

The unicorn is 5'6" which rules out Paris (5'8") and Nicole Richie (5'1") but leaves Tori Spelling in the running. The Unicorn's voice was pretty bad, I was surprised she beat the Monster. No clue who he might be.

Donny Osmond is 5'9" which matches the Peacock. I agree that the voice and clues mean it pretty much has to be him.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:38 PM, icemiser69 said:
On 1/8/2019 at 12:42 PM, blackwing said:

Deer - Terry Bradshaw, Eli Manning, or Peyton Manning.  Football player.

I am almost positive it is Terry Bradshaw.

He is  6 feet 3 inches tall and he has talked about his ranch in the past.  So, he would love horses.  Plus, I thought it sounded like him, and he already works for Fox.

Yeah, I was thinking it sounded like Peyton until the panel guessed him lol. Whoever they guess is probably guaranteed to be wrong. (Lady Gaga, seriously??) And Peyton is 6'5" while Terry is 6'3" as you said and the fact that he's already on Fox and is a huge famewhore to boot mean it's most likely him.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:26 AM, BoogieBurns said:

I'm going to guess most people have been on DWTS...

This is genius and appears to be spot on.

*Hey, they didn't show the heights in the 2nd episode! I guess they figured it was too much of a giveaway. Weird they showed them for the first episode, though. Seems flaky. Damn it! So much for my great investigative strategy, lol.

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, seaELare said:

Considering the Bee sounds just like Gladys Knight and she's an alum of DwTS, I'm going with the Gladys Knight as Bee.  Obviously the judges know who all the singers are but are given a script to keep it kicky and fun.  

BTW, how much does Robin Thicke sound just like his dad.  

I wonder about the judges guesses... I'm not convinced they know who each one is.  I don't think they are good enough actors to pull off the confused looks.  Maybe an actual actor like Ken Jeong but Nicole Scherzinger seems very genuine to me and I feel like she actually is trying to make intelligent guesses and deductions.  Unlike Jenny McCarthy Wahlberg.  Seriously, Barack Obama?

I thought the same about Robin Thicke.  Some years ago I didn't see the resemblance but now at this age he looks and sounds a lot like his dad at the height of his "Growing Pains" fame.  RIP Alan Thicke.

If everything was taped in June, does that mean the studio audience knows who each one is?  There are probably 300 people there, how come we don't have any spoilers?  Even with a nondisclosure agreement, things always get out.  It's not like there's a small group of 20 Survivors who the show could actually come back at if anything got revealed.  Or is the reveal not shown to the audience and all those reactions are just staged?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

If everything was taped in June, does that mean the studio audience knows who each one is?  There are probably 300 people there, how come we don't have any spoilers?  Even with a nondisclosure agreement, things always get out.  It's not like there's a small group of 20 Survivors who the show could actually come back at if anything got revealed.  Or is the reveal not shown to the audience and all those reactions are just staged?

The audience seemed smaller than that. I think camera tricks make it seem like there's more people then there actually are. Plus, a lot of the audience seemed like plants or extras - everyone magically seems to find the camera and give an over the top reaction, like they're determined to be made into a gif or something. I don't think everyone in the audience was a plant, but having a smaller group probably made it easier to keep things under wraps.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

Maybe an actual actor like Ken Jeong but Nicole Scherzinger seems very genuine to me and I feel like she actually is trying to make intelligent guesses and deductions. 

She more than any of the others on that judging panel would be able to put 2+2 together and reach the DWtS conclusions having been on and been a winner of that show a few years ago.  And the fact that none of the judges are guessing the obvious choices makes it seem all the more scripted. 

I pulled up the complete list of DWtS contestants and am trying to narrow down: Who has something to promote and who needs the publicity and craves a spotlight.   I'm still not sure about the Deer.  

I have a short attention span so I wish they'd announce a winner and loser at the end of every episode.  

38 minutes ago, martha21 said:

I completely agree, it is absolutely, 100% Tina Turner.

Hmmm... I'd love if it were her but Tina has a very distinctive raspy and smoky voice and I don't think the voice matched.  Plus the "empress" clue seems very attuned to Gladys.  I believe Tina's most common honorific is the Queen of Rock and Roll, so the "but I wouldn't mind if you called me Empress" doesn't really fit.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, kassandra8286 said:

Yeah, I was thinking it sounded like Peyton until the panel guessed him lol. Whoever they guess is probably guaranteed to be wrong. (Lady Gaga, seriously??) And Peyton is 6'5" while Terry is 6'3" as you said and the fact that he's already on Fox and is a huge famewhore to boot mean it's most likely him.

Isn't one of the overall clues that there is a Hall of Famer and 4 Superbowl winners? If there are two football players and one of those is Antonio Brown, who is neither then the other football player has to be both and that also fits Terry.

51 minutes ago, Wanda said:

Tina turner is retired and living abroad and having health problems. It’s beyond highly unlikely she would partake in a reality show like this.

Yes to this.  She still looks great for her age, but the woman is 79-years-old.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

Hmmm... I'd love if it were her but Tina has a very distinctive raspy and smoky voice and I don't think the voice matched. 

There were a couple of parts that I did hear a distinctive, smoky voice, but I thought she was toning the rest down as to either 1. not totally give it away, or 2. because she is older and probably doesn't have that same energy.  But I also am not familiar with Glady's Knights voice so I can't make a fair comparison.  And if Gladys Knight's been on DWTS then she does make more sense, since reality shows seem to reuse a lot of the same talent. 

4 hours ago, Wanda said:

Tina turner is retired and living abroad and having health problems. It’s beyond highly unlikely she would partake in a reality show like this.

Man, that sucks to hear, I like Tina Turner.  I know she's up there, but still hate to think of anyone suffering health problems. 

My guesses were Kathy Griffen (Griffith?) for the Poodle.  That's who the clues fit for me, and I thought it sounded like her.

I figured one of the younger Kardashians for the Alien, almost certainly Kendall.

• Love 1

Is anyone else hoping the monster is Donnie Wahlberg?!  Just to prove how enormously stupid Jenny McCarthy is?!?  Also, although I think Ricki Lake is a great guess for the Raven, I’m leaning towards Megan McCain.  The mention of sunny (Sunny Hostin is a cohost) , also suffering a loss recently..her dad?  Or am I overthinking things way too much, for this entertaining yet mindless show?!?!

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I couldn't envision Tina Turner or Diana Ross putting on one of those costumes and singing.

I had "heard" that Tina is ill with kidney problems. Don't know if it's true because look what was said about Olivia Newton John and it wasn't true.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, PurpleGirl43 said:

I think the deer is Von Miller from the Denver Broncos.

This is my guess as well. I'm also with those who think the Raven is Ricki Lake. It sounds like her singing voice.

I just started watching this show and to watch it On Demand because my Fox channel was off the air because of a contract dispute. My question is when will they reveal all of them? Like the ones who were on last week?

On 1/9/2019 at 5:41 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Hmmm....  Back in the day, didn't Paris Hilton release a CD, capitalizing on her A Simple Life and sex tape fame?  And said CD was roundly panned?  That goes with the "they told me I wasn't a singer" clue.  And she's trying to become relevant again....  So Paris Hilton is a really good candidate for Unicorn, but I'm sticking with Tori Spelling as my guess.

She did release a few. I recently read Banksy bought and altered some of the first CD she put out. I'd say Drew Barrymore for Unicorn, but she's not tall enough,

On 1/9/2019 at 9:08 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Yeah, the anti-vaxx stuff is my one big "no" for Jenny McCarthy.  I think she has an autistic or otherwise delayed son (right?  I vaguely recall this from when she was with Jim Carrey...), and she was grasping for an explanation--any explanation--to make sense of how profoundly affected her child was.  Lots of people do that, but lots of people don't have the megaphone of celebrity influence she had.  I don't think that she's ever retracted her stance, or shown that she understands differently now.  I haven't been following her closely, but I also have the vague impression that she's doubled down on her ignorance rather than admit she was wrong.  Other than that whole hullabaloo, I think she's perfectly goofy and smarter than given credit for.

Robin Thicke on the other hand.....  Blech.  Gross.  No.  Icky-poo.  Smarmy bastard.  I have mentally edited him out of the show.  When he speaks my brain just registers "*asshole talking*asshole talking*asshole talking*" until the camera and mic move on.  He's a major blot on the show for me.  I'm hooked though, so I'll just continue to mentally edit his disgusting self out of my perception while watching the show.

Yeah, Jenny was babbling about her son being a crystal or indigo child for a bit and then said his "autism" was cured by diet or some such shit. I put it in quotes since it seems that he was never actually diagnosed, she was just babbling nonsense and made up science. 

Thick is SUPER smarmy and is now the spitting image of his father in looks and voice. It's like he's morphing into his dad. 

On 1/9/2019 at 10:19 PM, howiveaddict said:

I wondered if it was her. Did she have a loss lately?  I also thought Kathy Lee Gifford but, this person was not slim.   

Plus Ricki was in Hairspray which takes place in Baltimore. Which could be why she's a Raven.

The singer who said she started in the 50s, I think could be Patti LaBelle.  Did someone actually say Lee Ann Rymes?  She is not near that old.  

Ricki's ex husband committed suicide about 2 years ago. The Raven has my favorite voice out of all of them. I think she's Ricki too.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, seaELare said:

On 1/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, blackwing said:

I wonder about the judges guesses... I'm not convinced they know who each one is.  I don't think they are good enough actors to pull off the confused looks.  Maybe an actual actor like Ken Jeong but Nicole Scherzinger seems very genuine to me and I feel like she actually is trying to make intelligent guesses and deductions.  Unlike Jenny McCarthy Wahlberg.  Seriously, Barack Obama?

I thought the same about Robin Thicke.  Some years ago I didn't see the resemblance but now at this age he looks and sounds a lot like his dad at the height of his "Growing Pains" fame.  RIP Alan Thicke.

I feel like there really was NO audience. Something about the footage and shots of the audience just seems off. It's like they spliced stock footage of some audience of some thing with shots of the judges and the singers all together to make these episodes. It just doesn't seem right somehow. The footage is different hues and filming techniques. And like you said, there's no way no one is talking. 

• Love 2
On 1/10/2019 at 3:02 AM, GaT said:

I'm missing something about how this show works. The judges keep making guesses, if they were right would the person be unmasked? So far there hasn't been any reason to have judges, they just sit there & make guesses,  it's not even just their vote that counts. How is the winner going to be determined? I'm confused.

It's their vote once the audience narrows it down, isn't it?  But yes, they are pretty pointless and annoying.  

Adding my guesses:

Peacock is Donny Osmond, no doubt.

I think the Deer is Terry Bradshaw. 

I'm on board with Ricki Lake as the Raven.

The Rabbit is definitely one of the guys from NSYNC, I'm just not sure which one (except not JT and probably not Lance since he's a bass voice).

I think the Bee is Gladys Knight.

I don't think that any of them are a Kardashian - if a Kardashian could sing, the momager would have capitalized on that already and she'd be all over the music scene by now.  Tori Spelling, Rumor Willis, and LaToya Jackson are better guesses, IMO.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't think that any of them are a Kardashian - if a Kardashian could sing, the momager would have capitalized on that already and she'd be all over the music scene by now.  

This is so obvious to me, I really can't understand how anyone thinks it could be a Kardashian. Especially since singing requires talent, which none of them has.

• Love 17

The costumes make this show. Everything else about it is so mediocre. They put real singers up against people who can't sing, so it's not a real competition. The panel is completely chaotic and basically nuts, but the costumes are fantastic and funny and I love that part.

The Bee said she's never stopped touring, so I thought of Patty LaBelle (I also saw her recently doing an interview where she talked about how she's always on the road), but the other guesses make sense, too, especially Gladys Knight.

I'm glad you all remembered Ricki Lake, because when they said talk show host who recently lost someone, all I could think of is Meghan McCain, and it was really throwing me off because that just didn't fit with my image of her at all.

• Love 4

First off, I can't believe I am wasting any sort of energy on a show that involves Jenny McCarthy (the anti vaxxer stuff is the tip of the iceberg, but the fact she's bringing her husband with her into that rabbit hole makes it a lot worse and some of his fans blindly follow suit.  But I digress.)  

That said, Marie Osmond pretty much confirmed Donny is the peacock through an interview with Access Hollywood this week; she pointed out their orignal show was on NBC which is the peacock logo.  Upon further review, it seems the peacock's shirt? Chest?  Is purple.  I guess socks would have been too much.

Bee= Gladys Knight for sure

Raven = Ricky Lake with her "Broadway voice."

Monster = leaning towards T Pain

Rabbit = N Sync member.  I do think it's Joey, but I saw pictures of him at the time this was taped.  Unless he really got some major Spanx action happening, I'm feeling it could be Lance.  

Lion = Rumer Wills, and she was the only one it took a while as I heard her voice before recently but couldn't remember where.  Then people pointed out Empire and I'm like "Duh me."  

I am convinced someone simply raided the DWTS Rolodex to get people on and scoured another rolodex with celebs with "time on their hands" to fill out the field.

• Love 5

There are 12 masked singers in total. Well, 10 now. The five left from episode 1 are competing this Wednesday and the remaining five from episode 2 on the following Wednesday. At least that's what the show info on my DVR says. 

I don't know how the matchups will work with odd numbers, I wondered the same thing. 

8 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Rabbit = N Sync member.  I do think it's Joey, but I saw pictures of him at the time this was taped.  Unless he really got some major Spanx action happening, I'm feeling it could be Lance. 

Lance has a very deep voice. Closer to Barry White than you'd think. Joey looks pretty healthy in pics I saw of him from last summer. The rabbit has a belly and seems hyper. Joey Joey Joey.

• Love 1

I love the posted who said Donnie Wahlberg for the Monster, but maybe The Rabbit instead and its New Kids and not NSync?

I am realizing how much of this show is smoke and mirrors (costumes, pre-recorded vocals, fake audience) and yet I still cannot pull myself away. And the costumes are awesome!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, justawatcher said:

I love the posted who said Donnie Wahlberg for the Monster, but maybe The Rabbit instead and its New Kids and not NSync?

1) I love the man, but he doesn't sing like that at all unless he really, really, REALLY tries. 

2) if his own wife can't recognize him, then...wait the show did its job.

3) the clues were "synchronised singing" constant reference to Pop (lead singing off their 2001 album Celebrity ) and his last line was "It's Gonna Be Me" (N Sync's only song to top Billboard's Hot 100.)  The straight jacket could be tied to their video I Drive Myself Crazy,

• Love 2
On 1/12/2019 at 1:00 AM, eskimo said:

There were a couple of parts that I did hear a distinctive, smoky voice, but I thought she was toning the rest down as to either 1. not totally give it away, or 2. because she is older and probably doesn't have that same energy.  But I also am not familiar with Glady's Knights voice so I can't make a fair comparison.  And if Gladys Knight's been on DWTS then she does make more sense, since reality shows seem to reuse a lot of the same talent. 

Man, that sucks to hear, I like Tina Turner.  I know she's up there, but still hate to think of anyone suffering health problems. 

I hadn't heard she was having health problems, I hope she's okay. I've seen plenty of performers in that age group on tour recently so it didn't seem out of the question, plus it just sounded so much like her to me. I'm certainly enjoying the intrigue of this show! Fun to guess and see other people's guesses.

• Love 2
On 1/12/2019 at 4:09 PM, Fostersmom said:

I feel like there really was NO audience. Something about the footage and shots of the audience just seems off. It's like they spliced stock footage of some audience of some thing with shots of the judges and the singers all together to make these episodes.

Maybe they borrowed the "audience" from The Final Table!

On 1/11/2019 at 4:17 AM, icemiser69 said:

I am fully expecting  to see Barry Williams (Greg Brady) and Alfonso Ribeiro to show up on this thing.

Other possibilities:  Marie Osmond, Cheech Marin, Danny Bonaduce, and Ross Mathews.

I thought the Raven was Ross Matthews.  His big loss would be his fairly recent breakup....

• Love 3
On 1/9/2019 at 10:08 AM, marketdoctor said:

Mrs. Marketdoctor called it before I did:  the deer is Peyton Manning:

It all fits - "I like horses" (played for both the COLTS and the BRONCOS) and "I get knocked down a lot" (he sure did), but I got Peyton mostly from the body stances when he was being interviewed.  

• Love 1

I just found out about this show. It's not terribly unique. There have been various attempts to recycle celebrities over the years (usually a take off a reality singing competition from another country). There was a version of Your Face Sounds Familiar. I also remember Celebrity Duets.

I really just wanted to jump in here to talk about the judges. WTF were they thinking when they were doing the casting. I still like Nicole even if she does way too many of these shows and is kind of like a knockoff Paula Abdul (a little loopy, weird comments). And I know Ken Jeong gets on some people's nerves (people usually say he's good in small doses even if they like his shtick). But SERIOUSLY? Anti-vaccine Jenny McCarthy and cheater/creeper Robin Thicke? Surely they could have found other judges who also come cheaply but aren't so widely disliked. 

• Love 5

I caught about 10 minutes of the premiere of this by chance. I thought it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen so I'm surprised to see there are people actually enjoying it. I think my IQ dropped about 40 points after watching 10 minutes of it.

And by the way, the deer is Eric Decker.

• Love 2

I originally thought that the Deer was Peyton Manning, but then I saw this:  "the competitors are said to have a combined 65 Grammy nominations, 16 multi-Platinum albums, 16 Emmy nominations, 9 Broadway shows, 4 Superbowl titles and 4 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame."

I don't believe Antonio Brown has a Superbowl title which would mean that the remaining person (assuming there isn't another NFL player besides the Deer) would have to have 4 titles.  Terry Bradshaw has four.  Peyton Manning has one.  Not sure about any of the other NFL players who were "guesses" and how many they might have.

I think that overall clue may help with some of the others as well--especially as more people are revealed.

• Love 1