Type keyword(s) to search

The Masked Singer

• Start Topic

I guessed Margaret Cho.  Yippee! 

Raven is totally Ricki Lake. the 1968 is the year she was born. The Hudson river clue is she was born in a town on the Hudson.  A man came to town and changed her life.  John Waters.  She was alone before ( I think she said) , because of her obesity.  

• Love 9
31 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Next week I presume the other four sing.  And of Peacock, Unicorn, Lion and Monster... I would think Unicorn is a clear goner, right?

I dont know about that - if I correctly recall, Unicorn won against Monster on the first show.  I was taken aback because I dont think Unicorn can sing at all.  It's going to get interesting when it gets narrowed down to everybody who can really sing.   

I'm still hoping Peacock will win because I enjoy his singing and showmanship but I also feel kind of bad that a legend like Gladys Knight would be on a silly show like this, if she is Bee.  It does sound like her though.

• Love 2

I’m glad the judges are no longer playing dumb with some of the more obvious people. 

The added clues just confirm that the Bee is Gladys Knight and the Raven is Ricki Lake. 

The only thing I not completely sure about is the Rabbit. 

Confirmation that the poodle is Margaret Cho shows that some on the clues are more obscure references. 

Can anyone explain the multiple references to exercise for Margaret Cho?   The only thing I can think of is something like exercising your rights in a legal sense, and she apparently played a lawyer on some show?  Bad clue.  

What about the flying reference which led some of the judges last week to say she was a gymnast?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

The clues all point to Joey. 

I agree. I’m just open to other possibilities because he has said it’s not him. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he is lying. 

Also the O-R-A-N-G-E clue makes me think it could be a former Mouseketeer. 

3 hours ago, Ananayel said:

I'm just happy Joel McHale was back! Alien can't be Paris Hilton, she only has one sister. LaToya Jackson (toys clue?) has two, and there were four others behind her in an early video. I don't know where cobras and levitation fit in.

LaToya posed with a snake in her Playboy pictorial.

• Love 10

I hate that they continue to give clues every week. Unless some of them are going to be red herrings/completely fabricated, it sucks the joy out of the show, because the audience has the Internet and can look these things up. I feel like this has become like in Survivor when someone finds a hidden immunity idol and then keeps getting more and more obvious clues for it, progressing from "X marks the spot on the horizon" to "where two palm trees meet" to "dig here, idiot."

Next season, I hope they give false clues, don't give the heights of the performers, potentially eliminate more than one at a time and in general, speed the show up a bit. I think they were worried that if the performers couldn't be guessed, the audience wouldn't be into it, but I feel like the guessing game (which gave the show its excitement) is just an exercise now and the show has become "tune in to see famous people singing in weird costumes."

• Love 2

I really liked the vocals of the Poodle/Margaret Cho, and I'm disappointed she was voted off.  I hope she gets a future gig where she can sing.

The only problem with lying about a clue is that it quickly renders every other clue meaningless.  I'm all for obscure, even misleading clues (like Terry Bradshaw's "I like horses", which also fit Peyton Manning, but obviously wasn't), but false clues makes it an unfair puzzle...unless either there's a fixed number (e.g. one misleading clue/contestant/episode), or that's part of the puzzle (like Penn & Teller Tell a Lie.) 

In some cases, like The Raven, it lets the audience feel smarter--but there's a point where it starts making the judges look stupid--or maybe just uninformed, because they were off doing whatever made them famous at the time.

Or, as Eolivet notes, just stop giving clues.  I'll add that since it's a taped show, they don't need the time for set changes.

Edited by marketdoctor
Someone else had an excellent point that I wanted to note.
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, johndanielsmom said:

I was on the fence with the Rabbit. Voice changes each week but with the clues, especially the foodie clues (did you notice he put a carrot in a hot dog bun? He owns Fat Ones Hot Dogs & Italian Ice in Orlando) its definitely Joey Fatone.  

That and the reference of Coney Island since he was born in Brooklyn.  Though some boy bands freaks are adamant of Joey McIntyre of NKOTB.  I want to yell to them "turn in your fan cards!"

8 hours ago, MsTree said:

ahhhhh.  I thought it was in reference to Muscles, the snake Michael used to have, but that makes a lot more sense.  

If Alien is La Toya, she sure didn't inherit any good Jackson singing genes.   At this point, (and this is only my opinion), the best singers are Peacock and Bee, followed by Lion, Rabbit, and maybe Monster.  Raven is kind of weak, Alien weaker, and Unicorn can't sing to save her life.  Who am I forgetting here?    And frankly, I thought Poodle (Margaret Cho) was a better singer than Alien, but this is showing us what a crap shoot this is going to come down to in the end.   

• Love 3
3 hours ago, johndanielsmom said:

I was on the fence with the Rabbit. Voice changes each week but with the clues, especially the foodie clues (did you notice he put a carrot in a hot dog bun? He owns Fat Ones Hot Dogs & Italian Ice in Orlando) its definitely Joey Fatone.  

He was also on Season 1 of Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off, which I watched and immediately thought of when he gave the clue about cooking.  There is no way this is NOT Joey at this point. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 12catcrazy said:

If Alien is La Toya, she sure didn't inherit any good Jackson singing genes.   At this point, (and this is only my opinion), the best singers are Peacock and Bee, followed by Lion, Rabbit, and maybe Monster.  Raven is kind of weak, Alien weaker, and Unicorn can't sing to save her life.  Who am I forgetting here?    And frankly, I thought Poodle (Margaret Cho) was a better singer than Alien, but this is showing us what a crap shoot this is going to come down to in the end.   

I agree, however I also don’t think she has picked good songs.  

(On the assumption that the Raven is Ricki Lake) - I will forever love her thanks to Cry Baby and Hairspray but dude, I think she is definitely getting over-praised.

And for the love of god, can Robin Thicke stop guessing Bella Hadid.  🙄

1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

He was also on Season 1 of Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off, which I watched and immediately thought of when he gave the clue about cooking.  There is no way this is NOT Joey at this point. 

He keeps denying he is in the media, but to honest, I don’t believe it at all. 

Edited by Sarahsmile416
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, MsTree said:

Paula Abdul had a song about a cold hearted snake.  She was never a very good vocalist, but she is a dancer and a choreographer. Was she the one who said quadruple threat? Recording artist and judge on talent shows. I thought the way she spoke in her last statement did have an inflection like Paula. 

I thought the poodle might have been Chelsea Handler. Just from the clue that she's been fired a lot. 

When Unicorn went on to sing another day, after her first performance. I started to speculate that some of these masked people had a time limit and only agreed to a certain amount of appearances. Unicorn was absolutely the worst one that night. I don't know why producers have to mess with a competition like this that much - it seems like it's just for fun, so who really cares who gets booted off and when. Maybe some have it in their contracts that they have to achieve a certain distance into the show. 

• Love 3
On 1/19/2019 at 2:54 PM, kassandra8286 said:

OMG, how had I never seen this before? I'm dying! LOL

OMG: I was eating and EVERY TIME I took a bite, dancing Donny popped up,  I'm amazed I'm still alive.

Still on team Ricki Lake for the Raven.  She was born in Hastings-on-Hudson in 1968.

What was with all the judge/court clues for Margaret Cho?

Edited by Omeletsmom
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Omeletsmom said:

OMG: I was eating and EVERY TIME I took a bite, dancing Donny popped up,  I'm amazed I'm still alive.

Still on team Ricki Lake for the Raven.  She was born in Hastings-on-Hudson in 1968.

What was with all the judge/court clues for Margaret Cho?

She played a judge on the show Drop Dead Diva.  I guess.  I watched that show but did not remember her being on that show so it wasn't very memorable. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Paula Abdul had a song about a cold hearted snake.  She was never a very good vocalist, but she is a dancer and a choreographer. Was she the one who said quadruple threat? Recording artist and judge on talent shows. I thought the way she spoke in her last statement did have an inflection like Paula. 

I was a big Paula fan in the late 80s / early 90s and there's no way that is Paula, unless she is purposely holding back or altering her singing voice.  I'd recognise her voice immediately.  I agree that Paula is no, say, Gladys Knight, but Paula Abdul is 100 times better than the Alien.  The Alien's vocals were thin and I'd be surprised if the Alien is a professional singer.  Plus, Paula doesn't fit many of the clues.  Comes from a big family with a famous name, has multiple sisters, always felt overlooked.  I don't think any of these apply to Paula Abdul.  If it were Paula I think they would have definitely thrown in a reference about giving it to us straight ("Straight Up") or wanting to be remembered forever ("Forever Your Girl").

I'm still trying to figure out the exercise clues for Margaret Cho.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

When Unicorn went on to sing another day, after her first performance. I started to speculate that some of these masked people had a time limit and only agreed to a certain amount of appearances. Unicorn was absolutely the worst one that night. I don't know why producers have to mess with a competition like this that much - it seems like it's just for fun, so who really cares who gets booted off and when. Maybe some have it in their contracts that they have to achieve a certain distance into the show. 

I can see this. The Unicorn should have been voted off last week, instead it was Terry Bradshaw, and they promoted this show on the FOX pre-game show before the NFC Championship game last Sunday. Gotta get that corporate synergy going I guess.

• Love 1

In regards to Donny and Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" video, I'm guessing you all are talking about Weird Al's finished video.  If you haven't watched the "White and Nerdy - Take 1" video, you should. It is the first take of Donny's entire dance with Weird Al.  When I met Donny for the first time, I asked him about the "White and Nerdy" video.  He said it was all ad libbed, and he had a great time doing it.

• Love 12

https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/24/the-masked-singer-margaret-cho-poodle-interview/

Interview with Margaret Cho.  She provides some insights as to filming and production.  It's interesting to me that they are pretty much blind and can't hear a whole lot.  I suppose that confirms (assuming she is being truthful) that yes, they are in fact the person in the costume (there was speculation upthread that it's a body double until the actual reveal) and yes, they are actually singing.  I'm wondering how do the ones who are dancing a lot (like the Rabbit) avoid falling off the stage?

She cracks me up with her "someone was talking to me through the snout and has really bad breath" comment.  I'm sure that person knows who he is.  It might even be Nick Cannon haha.  

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, MrsEVH said:

The first week's clue had me wondering if it was him. He he said something about his poster being on your mother's wall. I'm that mother who had it on my wall in the 70s.

I also thought of Bobby Sherman, Sean Cassidy, Toni DiFranco and Leif Garrett.  Not sure any of those are still performing, so I think Donny Osmond is the best guess.

41 minutes ago, eyelash said:

I also thought of Bobby Sherman, Sean Cassidy, Toni DiFranco and Leif Garrett.  Not sure any of those are still performing, so I think Donny Osmond is the best guess.

Tony DeFranco. I loved him too and had his poster. He still looks good today; don't think he performs anymore.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

I'm starting to plan for (based on ratings) what will happen next year.  Who's your dream cast?  I would divide it into "famous for singing", "not famous for singing", and "some of both."  Time and budget are no object here.

Famous for singing:  Kelly Clarkson, just because she jump-started American Idol and has a lot of range of song choices.

Weird Al--same range of vocals. 

Not famous for singing:  Michelle Obama, just because she might actually do it.

Wil Wheaton, because he might slip out a "good night, nerds" and it would be funny if the judges don't get it.

Some of both:

Marisa Benoit:  Because other than the occasional music scene in Supergirl or the Flash, she doesn't get to sing much.

Amber Benson:  great in singing on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and also narrated "Lock In" (as did Wil Wheaton). 

Shatner.  Because, Shatner.

Patrick Stewart, for the Kirk vs. Picard and because he'd do it well, and because it'd be fun for him to be The Knight.

This list really dates me and I realize it may not be of any relevance to the targeted demographic of the show.  I have never followed rap or hip hop so I would not recognize performers of those genres even if they were not in costume.  I'd like to see if any of these folks could fool the masses: 

Tyra Banks, Maureen McCormick, Carnie Wilson (or any other Wilson Phillips participant), Peter Frampton, Frank Stallone, Eddie Murphy, Jack Wagner,  Sir Mix-A-Lot, Vanilla Ice, any member of Hanson, Lis Loeb, Jakob Dylan, Montel Jordan, Natalie Imbruglia. 

We probably shouldn't forget that Nick said some of the more recent clues might be fake or misleading. The reason he gave for this is because the panel was guessing too easily...which makes me think those guesses were definitely edited out.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2019 at 9:32 PM, blackwing said:

My least favorite of this group is the Raven.  I just don’t enjoy her singing or her performance.  Don’t know much about Ricki Lake or her backstory but I do think it a bit odd that in the post MeToo era where women are supposed to be strong and independent and make their own choices, she kept talking about how she needed a MAN who came and took her away.

They said the man came and took her away in 1968. Ricki Lake was born in 1968. But the voice (or rather inflections) do sound like her to me.

6 hours ago, llewis823 said:

They said the man came and took her away in 1968. Ricki Lake was born in 1968. But the voice (or rather inflections) do sound like her to me.

No, they merely showed the date while saying the man came to take her away,  They left us to make the connection.  It was intentionally misleading.

Edited by Omeletsmom
Because here =/= her
  • Love 5

I don't think the clues are too easy or too hard, considering that this group picked some but not all of the singers, and we're still guessing about a few (notably Rabbit) this far in.  Making it harder wouldn't be fair to more casual viewers, and if people want to look up clues on the internet, that's on them not the show.  It's rather like looking for spoilers -- don't do it if you don't want to know.

The guessing in this forum was FUN!

• Love 4

I disagree that it's like spoilers -- most of these guesses were made on social media while the show is airing (in addition to people posting here), and literally become trending topics week after week. I've never been spoiled for Survivor or Big Brother if I'm watching in real-time, and unlike those shows, the show asks you to be a part of social media and tweet your guesses. If they're going to constantly give clues, people are going to get bored once they've guessed the celebrities.

If I want to stay unspoiled for Survivor, I don't go into spoiler threads and I stay off social media if I'm not watching live. If I don't want to be spoiled for this, I have to avoid social media even if I'm watching live? For me, that doesn't compute.

• Love 1

The Rabbit is not JC. His voice is very distinctive and IMO, he’s the best boyband singer ever.

Not that Justin isn't great, but I"ve always thought that JC was robbed of solo career he should have had.  

• Love 7

I didn't know Joey had any hot dog restaurants -- that changes things in my mind. I kept thinking Rabbit could be Donny Wahlberg because of Wahlbergers. And also the head-cocking thing seems like a Donny movie.  I could see this show trying to pull one over on Jenny McCarthy. 

Alien is definitely LaToya. Terrible voice but it has that thin Jackson quality. 

• Love 1

I thought the head twitch is because Rabbit is in a straight jacket, so he's just being in character. I like that he's changed his voice in the two songs. I just started watching 2 days ago and I am a little bummed that I have other people's guesses in my head now, but not from here. From Youtube. So now I'm trying to lead my mom astray with her guesses. But she guessed Donny Osmond right away since she had his posters and records growing up.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2019 at 10:48 AM, Jillybean said:

The twitching tic thing the rabbit constantly does is really annoying. WTF is up with that -- did he just decide that's part of his "character?"

Joey Fatone does a very similar head twitch in the “I Drive Myself Crazy” video. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:48 PM, Jillybean said:

The twitching tic thing the rabbit constantly does is really annoying. WTF is up with that -- did he just decide that's part of his "character?"

Rabbits naturally twitch all the time.  He's probably just "in character".

• Love 1

I learned to stay off of Twitter on Wednesday evenings.  I don't watch the show live. If I see someone trending - like Donny Osmond did - I'm probably going to agree that it's Donny Osmond, but it does take away from formulating my own ideas. Most of the people I have no clue about anyway, so it's not a big deal. 

I would have guessed Tommy Chong without the Twitter spoil though. He was pretty obvious. I kind of wonder if the show throws a bone once in a while, just so people don't get frustrated. 

On 1/24/2019 at 6:47 PM, eyelash said:

Maureen McCormick

I did speculate about Maureen McCormick being one of the acts. I can't remember which one. I don't think she's any of them now, so it must have been early on.

(edited)

If the Unicorn beats the Monster this week, there is no justice.  However, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it happen.  I could easily see the Monster going home.   Want to bet that Nicole Scherzinger is going to tell the Unicorn that her singing has a "sweetness" and "sincerity" to it?  That's just another way of saying "your voice is thin and lackluster but I can tell you are trying and I need to say something nice".  I'm sure Unicorn is going to sing another bubbly girl pop song, I'm thinking Katy Perry.  Perhaps "Hot N Cold".

Tori Spelling seems nice and all and I'm glad she gets to live her dream, but if this is some semblance of a singing competition, she's really arguably the worst one left.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 7

New Clues up:

Unicorn:  Graduated class of 1993  (Tori Spelling-90201 graduation year?)

Lion:  Her voice will take you hostage

Alien:  She's a whiz at interplanetary travel (LaToya moved with Michael to NYC when he was performing in the Wiz?)

Rabbit:  He'll play a game for you if the price is right (Joey was a guest host of the Price is Right.)

Oddly enough, there is no clue for the monster.

In the video clues, rabbit's foot is on a basketball, unicorn is opening a book, alien is looking at a crystal ball and lion is building something?  Monster is missing from this as well.

I wish there was more doubt about who some of the masked singers are.   I know they're trying to balance the clues vs keeping the identities secret, but knowing (more or less) who everyone is has taken away some of my interest.  At least Joey's denial kept it interesting for awhile.

Edited by chi-girl
  • Love 1

Rumer Willis was in the movie Hostage with her father, so although we already knew it was her, this seems definite.

Odd that there is no clue for the Monster... maybe they accidentally released the clues for next week and he goes home this week?