Type keyword(s) to search

The Masked Singer

• Start Topic

Yay!  Thanks Admins for opening up the "Other M Shows" forum.

Looking forward to this week's battles.

My thoughts on last week's singers:

Peacock - I think it's obvious it's Donny Osmond.  The height matches.  Works in Vegas.  Grew up in show business.  Friends with Michael Jackson.

Unicorn - Some say she is Hollywood royalty.  From California.  Michelle Pfeiffer, Queen Latifah?

Monster - Singer from the 80s (mix tape) that is controversial.  Was once at the top and then had a big fall.  I'm thinking one of the guys from Milli Vanilli, or maybe Vanilla Ice.

Deer - Terry Bradshaw, Eli Manning, or Peyton Manning.  Football player.

Lion - she suggested that she is a singer in a girl group.  Appears to be African-American.  I would be surprised if it was one of the Destiny's Child women since Robin said it.  So I'm thinking En Vogue (not sure which one) or TLC (Chilli).  Oh or maybe Toni Braxton?

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 6

Peacock has got to be Donny Osmond.  My money is on Tori Spelling for Unicorn.  Interesting conjecture about Milli Vanilli or Vanilla Ice for Monster.  I was thinking Beiber, but only loosely, and based on the moves and height.  He's too big a star for this show, I think.  Vanilla Ice has done reality TV before, sooooo.....yeah, I'll co-sign that guess.  I was thinking Tyra Banks for Lion, or Rumer Willis.  They both fit, in different ways.

This show is so silly and fun!

Edited by HurricaneVal
To complete a thought.
  • Love 3

Thank goodness I found this forum! I am so excited with this show!! Here are my thoughts:

Peacock is pretty clear to me it's Donny Osmond. The clues had him petting a  puppy, so there is Puppy Love: and moms had his poster in their rooms. I'm ancient (57) so I remember that.
Lion: I am positive it's Rumor Willis. There was a clue where someone was whispering in her ear (Rumor) and her parents being Demi Moore and Bruce Willis, some could consider her Hollywood Royalty. And when she was on DTWS she sang "Toxic' and it was quite haunting just like 'California Dreaming' started out. 
Lion: Terry Bradshaw just because I sort of adore him, and he did have out an album (see? Album. Ancient. I never say CD.)
Unicorn: I believe it is Nicole Richie. Born in Beverly Hills, should have had a great childhood. In one of the clues they showed jewelry and she does have her  own line. 
Monster: I don't know why but I think it's T-Pain. He talked about retreating to a cave, and he did go thru some depression. Also, the "I'm BAACCCKKK" was auto-tuned and he did that. 
Just my opinions, YMMV. But I am EXCITED for this show! Not 100% crazy about Jenny McCarthy, but Nicole Scherzinger graduated from the youth performing arts school in my area, and she was really positive about her life here in Louisville, KY. And I enjoy Ken Jeong even though my husband said he needs just small doses of him because he grates. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Ooooohhhh....  Nicole Richie is a good guess too.  I sticking with Tori Spelling for Unicorn, but you have good points!

Nicole Richie has an AMAZING voice. I am all in on Tori Spelling as Unicorn. She does EVERY reality show. 

I think the Deer is Gronk. 

Monster's voice is Ruben Studdard good, but nothing about his back story fits. I think Jenny was closest with Chris Brown. 

Lion could be Kylie Jenner if she isn't Rumer Willis. Only because her thighs are thick (like Kylie's) and her pride is full of women. But Rumer has a great voice and fits as well. Just has leaner legs.

Peacock is someone famous before my time. Donny Osmond sounds good to me. But my mom NEVER had his poster on her wall (she was more of a Smokey Robinson fan)

• Love 1

So glad to see this topic here! I was hoping it would be added. I enjoyed the first show. It's fun and light entertainment. I thought the performances themselves were pretty high quality with all the background dancers and props on the stage. Nick Cannon is a great host. He looks so different with the long hair. Interesting to see who each performer is and I'm looking forward to this week's show. The judges seem to be having fun and getting along, which is nice.

• Love 2

Mrs. Marketdoctor called it before I did:  the deer is Peyton Manning:

He likes "horses"--Broncos and Colts were his NFL teams.

He hates Ravens--an AFC rival of both other teams.

There's supporting evidence that he has been in the NFL, he's very competitive (which is true for most of the NFL), he's not a professional singer, and he's tall enough.

That said, if it turns out to be Ben Roethilsberger, I wouldn't be surprised.

Michelle Pfeiffer is an amazing singer, but I don't think she's the Unicorn; I'm not sure why not. 

I'll put in a vote for Joey Fatone as the Monster, but I could be very mistaken there.  The clues so far fit, and he's talented.

The judging might be the best I've seen on a singing/variety show; what they say is often about the singers, and despite the ad, rarely just about how it's hard to guess who each person is.

I'm enjoying the discussion and guesses here.  I can't remember whether it was the Unicorn or the Lion that said that some may consider her Hollywood royalty.  I could have sworn it was the Unicorn but it seems most others here are applying it to the Lion so I probably misremembered.  

I like the guesses of Tori Spelling as the Unicorn and Rumer Willis as the Lion.  The interesting thing about the Lion is that all the judges seemed to assume she is African-American.

I know that the show claims that "even the judges and Nick Cannon don't know who they are".  I'm skeptical that Nick Cannon isn't in on it.  Wouldn't he need to know?  What if he's not a football fan and when the hippo mask came off, he doesn't recognise Antonio Brown?  Or maybe they just pipe the name into his earpiece as the mask is coming off just in case he doesn't know who they are?

I'm curious about rehearsal... those routines are obviously honed so I'm wondering if the dancers see the singer unmasked during rehearsal and just sign a secrecy agreement?  Or is the singer really wearing some kind of hood when they rehearse?

• Love 1

Thanks, Admins!!!

My guess for Hippo was Flip ("American Ninja Warrior") Rodriguez.  He wore a mask during his early years competing, and I think he was one of the few that made it up the $10,000 MegaWall.  Boy, was I off!

23 hours ago, vibeology said:

I thought the Lion was Rumer Willis. She has a ton of sisters, is hollywood royalty and is connected to Lyons from her work on Empire.

That was my guess too.

23 hours ago, DuckyinKy said:

Unicorn: I believe it is Nicole Richie. Born in Beverly Hills, should have had a great childhood. In one of the clues they showed jewelry and she does have her  own line.  

I said Paris Hilton, but Ritchie fits as well.

3 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

Mrs. Marketdoctor called it before I did:  the deer is Peyton Manning:

That said, if it turns out to be Ben Roethilsberger, I wouldn't be surprised.

I thought of Manning and Roethilsberger.

• Love 1

Welcome back to my TV, Nick Cannon. I kept trying to see if you've started wearing socks again.

I agree with others who've guessed that Peacock is Donny Osmond and Lion is Rumer Willis. If so, after seeing Antonio Brown unmasked, I'll be looking for other DWTS alumni to show up.

I think Deer is Terry Bradshaw. Other than that, I'm just hoping Monster isn't CeeLo Green, as I've seen others guess elsewhere. 

I thought it was ridiculous when the judges kept guessing "A" list celebrities, like Lady Gaga.  As if, LOL!  I am kinda hoping that one of the future contestants will come out and blow it out the box with an amazing vocal.  Somebody like maybe Adam Lambert, who could do a song without his too-easily-recognizable screamy rock notes.  So far none of the professional singers has impressed me, and I'd enjoy it more if at least one or two of them did.

I did have some confusion about the  scope and limitations of the questions the judges are allowed to ask.  Like, when one of them asked the contestant, "Are you a professional singer?", that seemed out of bounds.  If that question is permitted, why wouldn't you ask every single contestant that question? I'd appreciate it if the show gave some clarification on how questions are asked, like, how many can they ask? Who gets to ask (do they take turns)? Are there any limitations on what questions can be asked?

Also, can a judge make some kind of official guess, and if it's correct, is the contestant unmasked?

So far, this show is good mindless entertainment without being obnoxious.  I like that, so I'm in for now.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I'm curious about rehearsal... those routines are obviously honed so I'm wondering if the dancers see the singer unmasked during rehearsal and just sign a secrecy agreement?  Or is the singer really wearing some kind of hood when they rehearse?

They said the singers are picked up from a remote location, not at their homes and are brought in undercover. However on either the comments on YouTube or IMDB, there is an insider (gah I know I hate even saying that because it's probably BS) who swears the vocals are taped in advance, and that's not actually the performers in the costumes until it is time to unmask them. They find body doubles. I dunno - I really liked the concept of thinking that is really Donny Osmond as the Peacock. 

I don't think there are going to be any A-listers on here. Clearly Lady GaGa, Xtina, etc., are working on bigger projects. And on a side note, I have been watching the performances on YouTube for the last week (I am really into this show!) and Jenny McCarthy is growing on me...however I wish she could say something other than "You go, girl!" 

Okay. I'm out of thoughts. For now! I might be back in a few minutes. 

• Love 2

Hmmm....  Back in the day, didn't Paris Hilton release a CD, capitalizing on her A Simple Life and sex tape fame?  And said CD was roundly panned?  That goes with the "they told me I wasn't a singer" clue.  And she's trying to become relevant again....  So Paris Hilton is a really good candidate for Unicorn, but I'm sticking with Tori Spelling as my guess.

1 minute ago, HurricaneVal said:

Hmmm....  Back in the day, didn't Paris Hilton release a CD, capitalizing on her A Simple Life and sex tape fame?  And said CD was roundly panned?  That goes with the "they told me I wasn't a singer" clue.  And she's trying to become relevant again....  So Paris Hilton is a really good candidate for Unicorn, but I'm sticking with Tori Spelling as my guess.

My husband said Paris Hilton, too but she is making (or so she says) a million for a DJ gig so I figured she was busy. I said maybe it was Nicole Richie and she said someone she admired said she was tone deaf - maybe Paris told her that. But, Tori Spelling would show up for a free frosty, she is doing every show she can and clearly digs at her mom every chance she gets. So many options here!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Hmmm....  Back in the day, didn't Paris Hilton release a CD, capitalizing on her A Simple Life and sex tape fame?

She's had a few, according to Amazon.com.   She contributed some vocal tracks to "Repo:  The Genetic Opera", along with Sarah Brightman and Anthony Stewart Head, among others. 

I didn't read the reviews.  I agree with DuckyinKentucky; it could be Tori Spelling, Paris Hilton, Or Nichole Ritchie.  Height isn't even much of a clue, since someone could be wearing high heels or have a stunt double in the costume. 

• Love 1

Here are some other theories being reported about why the Unicorn is Tori Spelling:

In the voice-altered voiceover, the Unicorn says her nickname is "Bird". The word for bird in Japanese is "tori".  Also in her voiceover, she says that her "childhood should have been magical". That is the same experience that is the subject of her tell-all book, titled "Stori Telling".

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

I think Deer is Terry Bradshaw.

Another interesting guess; Bradshaw did have a "modest" country music career, with a single climbing deep into the charts.

His former team was the Steelers, who are in the same division and battle the Ravens (at least) twice every year  (The deer did say "Look out, Ravens.),

but the Ravens didn't exist when Bradshaw was playing.  I'm still more inclined to believe that it might be Peyton.

Getting ready for the new episode tonight.

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 3

Yeah, the anti-vaxx stuff is my one big "no" for Jenny McCarthy.  I think she has an autistic or otherwise delayed son (right?  I vaguely recall this from when she was with Jim Carrey...), and she was grasping for an explanation--any explanation--to make sense of how profoundly affected her child was.  Lots of people do that, but lots of people don't have the megaphone of celebrity influence she had.  I don't think that she's ever retracted her stance, or shown that she understands differently now.  I haven't been following her closely, but I also have the vague impression that she's doubled down on her ignorance rather than admit she was wrong.  Other than that whole hullabaloo, I think she's perfectly goofy and smarter than given credit for.

Robin Thicke on the other hand.....  Blech.  Gross.  No.  Icky-poo.  Smarmy bastard.  I have mentally edited him out of the show.  When he speaks my brain just registers "*asshole talking*asshole talking*asshole talking*" until the camera and mic move on.  He's a major blot on the show for me.  I'm hooked though, so I'll just continue to mentally edit his disgusting self out of my perception while watching the show.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Yeah, the anti-vaxx stuff is my one big "no" for Jenny McCarthy.  I think she has an autistic or otherwise delayed son (right?  I vaguely recall this from when she was with Jim Carrey...), and she was grasping for an explanation--any explanation--to make sense of how profoundly affected her child was. 

She has a "formerly autistic" son that she cured by not keeping his shots up to date or something. EYE ROLL

I'll have egg on my face if Unicorn ends up being Nicole Richie, but she can dance and sing FAR better than Unicorn. Nicole has dropped albums and danced professionally. It's Tori Spelling. Just has to be.

I kind of don't care who Monster is, I just want to hear him sing more. He's a black dude though, right? That's as far as I get on my guess.

• Love 2

Dear Nick: Repeat after me: "Singer". Not "SingGer". This is not NY. Pronounce it correctly. Thank you on behalf of the rest of the country.

I have no idea who about 70% of the "guess-ees" are.  

Is it just me, or are these judges the most vapid people ever? Okay, maybe I mean just the women. Richard Simmons, really?  

ETA:  I can believe that all of the singing is pre-recorded. This show needs to know that it can deliver exactly when it needs to. If I were the show, I would totally pre-record the singing. It's not like anyone's really going to know, right?

ETA: I think Robin Thicke knew who the bee was (he said he recognized the voice). But I got the impression he did not want to say it outright, he was that certain.

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

The Raven is absolutely Ricki Lake.

Wasn't their a line about experiencing loss recently? Because that's who I thought at first, but couldn't find anything stating that. 

I would be amused if Raven Symone was Raven, but it didn't sound like her. 

Didn't they say unicorn was 5'8"? That rules out Nichole Richie, but leaves Paris in the running. 

Did they not do heights this episode? I feel like they must have decided that was too big a clue.

20 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

The Raven is absolutely Ricki Lake.

I wondered if it was her. Did she have a loss lately?  I also thought Kathy Lee Gifford but, this person was not slim.   

Plus Ricki was in Hairspray which takes place in Baltimore. Which could be why she's a Raven.

The singer who said she started in the 50s, I think could be Patti LaBelle.  Did someone actually say Lee Ann Rymes?  She is not near that old.  

Edited by howiveaddict
thought of something else.
  • Love 1

This show isn’t live, is it?  In the credits it says something like “portions of this show not affecting the outcome are previously recorded”.  Is that just the clue packages or everything?  They ask for tweets to decide the outcome, I would hate to think that’s fake.  

Raven is a talk show host who suffered a loss. I was thinking Wendy Williams?

I think Janet, Miss Jackson if you please as the Alien   Musical family, there were five aliens shown, she wants to be in Control.

Ozzy Osborne as the Rabbit   I thought one of the clues said something about a train, and he’s in a straitjacket because he’s Crazy.

I totally buy Diana Ross as the Bee.  She is the queen, she wants to share her music with a new generation, she started singing in the 50s.

No idea about the Poodle.

Oh maybe Gladys Knight for the Bee.  I believe one of her nicknames is the Empress of Soul and the clue package said something like “or you could call me Empress”.  She also got her start in the 50s I think.  

• Love 12

I totally think the bee is Gladys Knight.  I would have given that round to the poodle, though. DH got the pineapple right. 

I had not seen this show last week and we stumbled on it about halfway through tonight.  It is stupidly fun. I just with they had a different judging panel; I can't stand 3 of them.

• Love 2

Poodle has to be Margaret Cho. She's bi, from San Fran, and is best known for standup. Honor = Asian. I believe she also can sing.

Agree Diana Ross or Gladys Knight is the Bee.

Agree about Donny Osmund as Peacock. My first guess was Neil Patrick Harris due to the magic clue, among others, but he's 6 ft.

Are the judges going out of their way to be obtuse? Some of their guesses are so far off the mark. Whaaat?!?!

Ditto on the Jenni McCarthy anti-vaxxer disdain. She did get the Pineapple though. I guessed Cheech since I thought Tommy Chong was taller. We do shrink with age, though!

Added: Agree Raven is Ricki Lake. Hairspray takes place in Baltimore (Poe and Ravens). Plus, she has pipes.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 4

This week was harder. The only one I was sure of was Tommy Chong because he sounds exactly like Tommy Chong.

Gladys makes sense for the Bee and I do think Ricki is the Raven. I also think based on the clues that the Rabbit is Lance Bass. I have no idea what he sounds like because Justin and JC did all the solos, but Pop was an NSync song and the rabbit mentioned "synchronized singing" during the clues. And of the two guys from Nsync who I think would do this, I agree that Joey Fatone is fatter than that rabbit.

The alien, though, no fucking clue. 

I revise my guess on the Alien.   Alien said something about the world finally hearing her voice on her own terms.  So I don’t think it’s Janet Jackson, the world heard her voice already on her own.  I think perhaps LaToya.  This totally seems like the kind of show she would do.  

I agree with all of you about the Rabbit being in N*Stink.  The “it’s gonna be me” clue is a big giveaway.  However I’m not so sure it’s Lance Bass... the Rabbit seemed tall and I looked it up, Lance is a very average 5-9.   Joey Fatone is taller and seems like a good guess.  The Rabbit had a bit of a gut so I do think it could be him.  And again, just like with LaToya, I could totally see him doing this show.

• Love 1

I kind of think the bee could be Little Anthony - from Little Anthony and the Imperials. 

I looked up the word "imperial".  It means 

relating to an empire.

synonyms: royal, regal, monarchal, monarchial, monarchical, sovereign, kingly, queenly, princely, majestic; 

I didn't have a clue about any of them - except Tommy Chong. His voice is unmistakable, plus the up in smoke comment was a dead give away. 

• Love 1
Just now, Commando Cody said:

didn't have a clue about any of them - except Tommy Chong. His voice is unmistakable, plus the up in smoke comment was a dead give away. 

It was funny, at one point one of the panel said "he's a professional singer." I think they were kidding, but Mr. DuckyinKy said "well unless they consider 'Basketball Jones' ..." 

• Love 2

Hmmmm....

Rabbit?  Totally someone from N'Sync.  I'll co-sign the Joey Fatone guess.

Raven?  Yeah, everything points to Rikki Lake.

Alien?  I'm going with LaToya Jackson.  Maybe Paris Jackson?

Pineapple?  I called Tommy Chong during the performance, and yup!

Poodle?  I'll co-sign the Margaret Cho guess.

Bee?   No way it is Diana Ross.  I'm thinking Gladys Knight.  There was a shot in the clue sequence that had all her security team dancing in formation behind her like the Pips, and queen bees have backup worker bees...

• Love 4

My first thought for the Bee was Mary Wilson.

I could totally see LaToya for the alien. Or one of the Jenner girls.

Joey Fatone was my first guess for the Rabbit.

And go away Jenny McCarthy. Your anti-vaxxer stuff will forever taint you as a supremely horrible human.

Edited by mertensia
  • Love 7

I'm missing something about how this show works. The judges keep making guesses, if they were right would the person be unmasked? So far there hasn't been any reason to have judges, they just sit there & make guesses,  it's not even just their vote that counts. How is the winner going to be determined? I'm confused.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, GaT said:

I'm missing something about how this show works. The judges keep making guesses, if they were right would the person be unmasked? So far there hasn't been any reason to have judges, they just sit there & make guesses,  it's not even just their vote that counts. How is the winner going to be determined? I'm confused.

Same here.  Last week I thought it would be the same people until only one was left unmasked.  But it seemed to be 6 new people this week (one new at the very least).  So how is a winner determined? Or is it just one loser a week and on to the next group, until a final reveal on finale night? Maybe they have 12-18 that they mix up against each other weekly? So many questions.  I wish they'd clarify what the hell is going on here.  Still entertaining,  though. 

5 hours ago, GaT said:

There are head to head battles that are supposedly voted upon by the studio audience (and maybe those watching at home, but I’m skeptical).  The winner of each head to head is safe.  Then of the losers, the four judges vote as to who should go home.  

There are 12 total singers, there won’t be any new ones.  I’m wondering if this show is going to last for 9 more weeks or if there are going to be some double eliminations going forward.

I don’t think the judges’ guesses have any factor into who goes home... at one point Jenny did suggest Chong.  That’s just for fun.

• Love 3

I was surprised at how often I agreed with Jenny McCarthy, considering how far apart we are about vaccinations.  (I understand why she believes what she does:  people often double down on a wrong decision.)   To that end with the show, I'll likewise say Ricki Lake for the Raven--not that I'd wish that pain on anyone, but it fits. 

Since they could have filmed the whole thing in August, they might be facing that they planned for double eliminations, but the ratings are very positive.

Despite the way the voting went, I thought Tommy Chong/the Pineapple did a good job with his song; he was up against stiff competition.

The body language for the Poodle fit Ali Wong--but I'm also amazed that they designed those costumes so people can move.  If it's someone else, I won't be surprised; other than the Raven these are challenges.  (The Bee rules out a lot of people, but there's still room, and good for them still bringing it.)

Next time (because unless the ratings tank, there will be a next time), I want to see them get a thousand bucks to a charity if they guess right, just to make things interesting.  For every wrong guess, Dr. Ken vaccinates someone's kid. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

There are head to head battles that are supposedly voted upon by the studio audience (and maybe those watching at home, but I’m skeptical).  The winner of each head to head is safe.  Then of the losers, the four judges vote as to who should go home.  

Apparently they filmed everything back in June (which makes sense in terms of availability for someone like Antonio Brown) so nothing the home viewers do on twitter can actually impact the outcome.