Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
17wheatthins

Black Summer

Black Summer stars King as a mother, torn from her daughter, who embarks upon a harrowing journey, stopping at nothing to find her. Thrust alongside a small group of American refugees, she must brave a hostile new world and make brutal decisions during the most deadly summer of a zombie apocalypse.

Coming to Netflix in 2019

Lemon Breeland in a zombie apocalypse? I'll probably at least check out the first episode.

• Like 2

Oh my god, it's so bad.  Episode after episode of stupidity, even worse than the morons in The Walking Dead.  

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

15 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Is it fun bad or just b a d?

Because I don’t mind schlock!

It's just bad.  This D list Walking Dead with poor writing.  It's not even fun or schlocky!!  They devoted an entire episode to some useless character who is clearly a red shirt that no one cares about and is really annoying and stupid.  I spent the whole episode begging for him to get eaten so we could move on.  So bad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Token said:

It's just bad.  This D list Walking Dead with poor writing.  It's not even fun or schlocky!!  They devoted an entire episode to some useless character who is clearly a red shirt that no one cares about and is really annoying and stupid.  I spent the whole episode begging for him to get eaten so we could move on.  So bad.

Very disheartening. I was hoping for something to replace Z Nation—especially since this is the prequel. 

I’ll check it out, but probably not until I’m bored out of my mind. 

Thank you! 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Very disheartening. I was hoping for something to replace Z Nation—especially since this is the prequel. 

Thank you! 🙂

Oh, it's not even close to Z Nation.  There's no humour at all.

• Sad 2

I only watched the pilot so far but I was definitely entertained. It felt like this would be the reality if something like this started.

There wasn't much humor. The pilot was setting up the bleakness all the protagonists are in. 

Not that many actors I knew beyond the initial couple.

Good gore and verbally fits with the expletives people would be throwing out.

Not terrible at all. Didn't think the writing was too bad. Worth a pilot try out. I will check out more this weekend.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Ah! A different point of view! My hopes are raised, so thank you! I’ll try to watch an episode or two when I get home from work. 

This is why I love these forums; it’s so fun to share our thoughts about these programs. Thanks to everyone who weighs in!!!

• Like 5

Only watched the first episode so far and I give it an enthusiastic "meh."

I was bored halfway through the pilot - that is not a good sign.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I love zombie shows but I'm not sure if I'll finish this or not.  I'm through episode 3,  Episode one was sort of interesting in that it reminded me a little of World War Z, the book, in that it showed the situation from multiple perspectives and some of them were interesting.  Episode 2... there's a lot of bad judgement.  Episode 3 was a long, boring, haunted school type thing with even worse judgement.  I don't understand why people keep letting them get up and chase them after they die.  Or why only like 2 people, besides the army, are armed.  Not a knife? A bat? Anything?  I felt like that army guy in the first episode asked a good question when he was frisking those people.  "Are you armed?" "No." "Why not?"

Spoiler

Also, in episode 3 it was super annoying how the woman was going to give their gun to those Lord of the Flies children.  How could that possibly be a good idea?  She already found a bunch of bodies in there and, unlike many idiots running around that place, the children were armed.  I get it, you don't want to shoot children, but no good comes from giving up your ability to defend yourself in that situation.

• Like 5

On 4/12/2019 at 6:35 AM, Jack Kerouac said:

...I give it an enthusiastic "meh."

Co-sign. This made the zombie apocalypse look dull. I watched the entire thing and was so totally zoned out at the end that I wasn't sure 100% what happened by the time it was done because I had been changing fire alarm batteries and wrapping packages for most of the last few episodes. I think it was because I never really felt invested in any of the characters so their survival did not mean anything to me. This may not be a show for binge watching. 

I feel like it brings nothing new to the table. Nothing is really surprising and you've seeen everything before in some zombie related TV-show or movie.

• Like 1

I binged it. It left me feeling kind of brain dead. I was also trying very hard not to compare it to the Walking Dead. Or World War Z because the zombies were fast. The first episode I thought was good but it went downhill fast after that. There was not one character I was rooting for except for Sun. But they should have had subtitles for her lines because I had no idea what she was saying. You couldn’t really get into the characters because they showed little to no backstory. 

The school and diner episodes were, at the same time, intense but dumb. Some of the characters seemed to figure out you had to head shoot the zombies, but would have been nice of them to have shared that with everyone else who were wasting ammo on body shots. 

The whole warehouse, or wherever they were, was confusing. These people went from helpless to all of a sudden knowing how to operate assault weapons and being highly skilled survivalists.

IF there is a second season I think they should get different writers, there needs to be more narrative to create more of a story with meaning or purpose. 

• Like 2

I just finished episode 3, and I think I’m out. I was liking it up until then, but then it just got too stupid. It’s amazing how a month into the zombie apocalypse, everyone but the protagonists turn evil. So stupid. Wouldn’t it be better to gather together to expand your resources, your skill set, and have more eyes and hands to keep you safe? That was my problem with the Walking Dead. I refuse to believe that everyone in a post-apocalyptic world would be too stupid to see the value of gathering together. It’s particularly stupid here, because apparently the zombie apocalypse hasn’t been going on very long. Now, in episode 3, we get a 

Spoiler

bunch of evil school children luring people to their deaths.

Seriously?

I will give them credit for one thing: at least the zombies are scary this time. A running, raging zombie is scarier than a slow, groaning one.

Edited by Blindfox · Reason: Spoiler
  • Like 4

On 4/11/2019 at 2:55 PM, 17wheatthins said:

Thank you! 🙂

Just to clarify, this is NOT a prequel to Z Nation.  It's just by some of the same people.  But one has nothing to do with the other.

I quit after episode 3, but then a friend said episode 4 was better, so I watched that.  It wasn't.  I was rooting the whole time for the character to bite it because he was just making dumb decision after dumb decision.  It was like he was TRYING to get eaten by a zombie.  I don't get it.  Am I supposed to care about these people?  Maybe the zombies are the protagonists?  I think I'm out unless I'm super bored...

• Like 2

Thank you, @Adira, but Black Summer was touted as a prequel to z Nation which is the reason I was so excited to see it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tvguide.com/amp/news/black-summer-review-zombie-netflix-z-nation/

Stephen King seems to love it, so I guess it’s a matter of taste? 

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/292647/stephen-king-heaps-praises-on-z-nation-prequel-black-summer/

I’ll be watching it this weekend. 

I am so happy to see people have had different experiences with the show. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I don’t hate it but I am wavering....

Episode 4 ..... I was oscillating between wanting him to survive and wishing he’d get bitten because of sheer idiocy.... 

stop. wasting. ammo

The complete abandonment of human decency is a big fat bummer.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I like this show. It's super bleak but there's the right amount of cursing and it feels slightly more true to life than other zombie fiction in that people make really poor decisions because they're stressed out. I watch it while I work out and it's a  great motivator, lol!

• Like 1

So much stupidity in this show. You know zombies are running around but unless you have a gun you refuse to carry any other type of weapon.

So the zombies can't open a door but they can figure out how to jump up and pull themselves onto things?

Are we sure only head shots kill the zombies? Unless it was just sloppy special effects, it didn't seem like a head shot was always required to kill the zombies permanently.

Did they say how long we are into the chaos at the start of the show? Cars/fuel seem to be a problem but the power seems to be on in most places.

Not really interested in season 2. As mentioned by other people none of the characters were worth investing in other than Sun and most people couldn't understand 99% of what she said.

Spoiler

The warehouse episode was confusing. How did they know about the place? How did they learn the layout? Why didn't they take more ammo? The shot of the bag shows almost no ammo...unless they lost a bag on the way out?

Why wouldn't you form a line across the road heading to the stadium. Only those in the front shooting until they ran out of ammo and then they would fall back and someone with ammo would fill their spot. It's not rocket science people.

The Stadium being empty was so predictable from the start. And then when only a few people showed up the daughter being one of them was also so predictable. So now they are in a place surrounded by zombies with no ammo. Not interested in the miracle the writers come up with to get them out. At least they can survive on overpriced stadium food for awhile.

• Like 4

Watched the whole thing because once I switch modes on my TV to streaming and go through all the updates, it's too much of a pain to switch back.  

Agree about some things being unbelievable - warehouse plot, becoming weapons experts overnight, stadium, lone kid at stadium. 

I thought melee at the stadium leading up to the ending was good because I could totally see all that friendly fire chaos.  The ending was a little too convenient.

As long as it doesn't get too silly, or there aren't any time jumps to add precocious children, I'm in.

• Like 2

The should have just named the final episode “We’re Predictably Fucked” and the first episode of the next season (should it happen) can be “We’re Conveniently Not Fucked”

I’m still really confused by the Trap House episode.... 

17 hours ago, SayMyName said:

So much stupidity in this show. You know zombies are running around but unless you have a gun you refuse to carry any other type of weapon.

So the zombies can't open a door but they can figure out how to jump up and pull themselves onto things?

Are we sure only head shots kill the zombies? Unless it was just sloppy special effects, it didn't seem like a head shot was always required to kill the zombies permanently.

Did they say how long we are into the chaos at the start of the show? Cars/fuel seem to be a problem but the power seems to be on in most places.

Not really interested in season 2. As mentioned by other people none of the characters were worth investing in other than Sun and most people couldn't understand 99% of what she said.

I would love to know the reason for not using subtitles for Sun, who like you said ended up being the most compelling character in the show....it was kinda genius to not use them and really heighten her journey and frustration as well as that of her companions but I’m loathed to give that much credit to these writers... lol

• Like 3

On 4/16/2019 at 10:55 AM, 17wheatthins said:

Thank you, @Adira, but Black Summer was touted as a prequel to z Nation which is the reason I was so excited to see it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tvguide.com/amp/news/black-summer-review-zombie-netflix-z-nation/

Stephen King seems to love it, so I guess it’s a matter of taste? 

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/292647/stephen-king-heaps-praises-on-z-nation-prequel-black-summer/

I’ll be watching it this weekend. 

I am so happy to see people have had different experiences with the show. 

I was entertained. It wasn't great, but it's not a terrible addition to the zombie subgenre. I found it to be kind of a  Fear the Walking Lord of the Children of the Mist-lots of inspiration from other movies/shows. It did drag a little at times, but my kid and I still had fun watching it. There's a lot of room for improvement. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Like 2

First episode felt chaotically real to me. I was enthused at a more naturalistic approach to how people might behave. Second ep had some dumb behavior but, okay, I was still on board. Then came the third episode...

I just finished episode 3, and I think I’m out. I was liking it up until then, but then it just got too stupid. It’s amazing how a month into the zombie apocalypse, everyone but the protagonists turn evil. So stupid.

The writers simply thought "wouldn't a Lord of the Flies" group of kids in a school be creepy? Yeah. Let's do it" but it was completely illogical. Why in holy hell would they purposefully lure in people to play head games with then kill? It's just dumb as crap. And it WAS clearly purposeful because of the end shot where the kid put the door stopper in leaving the door open for their next victim. Dumb, dumb, and dumber. I would much rather have seen the kids portrayed simply as really great survivalists who had developed a tight well-run little community. But I suppose there's no drama in that.

• Like 1

After seeing the first episode I had been avoiding this thread because I didn't want to be spoiled but I just finished watching the second episode and decided to come here to see if I wanted to watch any more. I have decided not to continue.

I thought this was going to be a prequel to Z-Nation and would have some info on ZOMA(or whatever the name of that company was). I do not want to watch another show where people don't cooperate and fight each other instead of trying to survive together. And I really hate Lord of the Flies episodes so I'm stopping right here.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that this is supposed to be about 6 weeks into the zombie apocalypse. Is that long enough for kids to become crazy and plan elaborate schemes to lure adults in? I guess so.

I was confused why Sun seemed to live in suburbia-ville but knew hardly a word of English. But knew the words to that one song which Barbara knew the words to too. 

Nice of the Lord of the Flies kids to let the group of 4 have a short snooze before they decided to mess with them. 

Episode 6 - the warehouse - confused me. How did they know that was there? How was it so easy to get to the ammo supply area (and they knew where it was??). Why did turning off the lights during the rave (which, bizarro... although I liked the random housewife in the background attempting to dance) turn everyone into zombies? 

And why did we waste basically an entire episode on some chunky dude with eyeliner running around with the stamina of a guy who runs marathons? 

I was rooting for deaf guy the most. Too bad he went out early. 

Also, I was way too distracted by how Jaime King's daughter was wearing khakis. It just seemed like an odd choice in clothing for the end of the world. 

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Like 2

I'm four episodes in, but so far I really like it. Yes, the "Lord of the Flies" subplot was a misfire but overall this feels more like early Walking Dead to me.

I should clarify I'm not generally interested in the whole zombie genre so I'm not necessarily the target audience for this show, and I can see where the desired target audience would be less than satisfied because they might be looking for something I'm not. I avoided Walking Dead for years because I'm just not into the whole zombie thing. Couldn't get past the first season of Z Nation. 

I think they're doing a pretty good job with the characters and I like the overall bleakness and urgency to it. There's something compelling about the way the zombies come to life so quickly and violently, it's viscerally jarring, especially the way they're kind of scream-groaning. 

I'm not really interested in seeing a lot of blood and gore and impaling and "cool ways to kill a zombie" so I'm fine with this sort of treatment.

• Like 1

I'm watching this show but a lot of what's happening makes no sense.     For example I'm six episodes in and I get that the reunited group was looking for supplies and broke into the warehouse place for that but how they executed it almost flawlessly (save the diner a-hole getting killed) made no sense.    When did they come up with the plan?   How did they know where everything was?    Why was no one watching the authorized rooms?    Or better yet why weren't they locked?

Also how did that guy (I clearly can't be bothered with remembering names) in Episode 4 - who was left behind with the pyscho kids at school, had ample time to eat a meal at a grocery store but instead mindlessly put items in a grocery cart and subsequently have to abandon it because a crazed zombie found him, and later had to kill a guy who rescued him from said zombie -  manage to get captured at this random warehouse.   Maybe the last two episodes will explain things.

But yummy to the eye candy that were actors Joel Gagne & Brad Kelly (the latter I wouldn't mind getting felt up by...*LOL*).    Thanks IMDB.

I guess I'll stick with it since there's only two episodes left.   But I'm out for Season 2 if there is one.

Meedis I didn't understand Episode 6 either. I spent the whole time wondering where they were and how they even knew about this place. But back in the previous episode, Manny and Carmen told Sun they knew of an outpost where they could get weapons so apparently this was that outpost. They just never explained how they knew about it or what their connection to it was.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 6:43 PM, iMonrey said:

Meedis I didn't understand Episode 6 either. I spent the whole time wondering where they were and how they even knew about this place. But back in the previous episode, Manny and Carmen told Sun they knew of an outpost where they could get weapons so apparently this was that outpost. They just never explained how they knew about it or what their connection to it was.

Thanks IMONREY.    It was weird too how Manny (assuming he's the one that got killed in the grate and chased Sun) and Carmen kept stopping for kissing breaks between Carmen doing her "acting tough" struts and Manny's "acting tough" poses.

That finale sucked...

I'm assuming the main lady was hallucinating seeing her daughter at the end. 

Edited by Meedis

Yeah they sort of lost me at the end. I really liked the series up until Episode 6, and they recovered a bit in Episode 7, but the final episode was just a confusing and chaotic mess. I assumed the whole thing turned out to be a big lie, that the military wasn't actually taking people to the stadium for evacuation. You couldn't see any evidence that people had been there. So when the lone guy showed up with Rose's daughter is was like, huh? Did they leave her behind because she refused to go without her mother? Because back in the first episode they pretty much just took her by force so it doesn't seem like the military guys would have just done whatever she wanted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So when the lone guy showed up with Rose's daughter is was like, huh? Did they leave her behind because she refused to go without her mother? Because back in the first episode they pretty much just took her by force so it doesn't seem like the military guys would have just done whatever she wanted.

How would the lone guy even know who Rose (thank you for all the character names...LOL) was?   I guess he did look at them with binoculars.     But hard to believe they'd know her by face.   I didn't see the daughter looking through the binoculars.    That's why I think the daughter is a figment of Rose's imagination since she hallucinated about the daughter before earlier in the season.

So much wrong with this show.

I should have given up after the Lord of the Flies episode.

• Like 1

I think it's okay, so far. I'm not sure that kids would go feral in six weeks, but without parents. TV, etc, I could see the bullies creating an environment like that, and the younger ones play along, or else.

I was even fine with the episode following the one guy around. That's as far as I've watched.

So here's how I was able to enjoy Season 1 of Black Summer:  whenever I got to an episode or a scene that I found silly or somehow unwatchable, I had no trouble skipping it.  The reason why I so easily moved on to the next episode/scene, is because I really, really, really responded to a lot of stuff they pulled off within the genre -- enough to see what else they could do ("they" being the show-runners, I guess).  Spoilers?

Spoiler

I loved seeing an entire neighborhood emerging from the "safety" of their home, then merging together into a disorganized, panicked crowd who wind up sprinting for their lives together, down your average suburban street.

I 100% stand by the 5 minute(?) tracking shot of the young woman who transitions from a hit-and-run victim into a zombie.

The car chase was riveting.  In my opinion, everything that happens in the van exemplifies great, efficient character development and pacing, and surprisingly skillful acting.

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode that follows a single, terrified man, who must survive an afternoon alone, being stalked by a single zombie (a very fast one, at that) and who must use a myriad of tools and environments to eek out his escape -- and he's believably bad at everything he does.

I kinda liked that I could't understand Sun.  I didn't even know that I could turn on sub-titles -- I thought it was a clever creative choice, putting the viewer in the position of her companions.

I can't even begin to tell you how amped up I was during the final episode.  Brilliant.  Friendly fire, chaos, violence, madness -- this is a fresh take on civilian/crowd behavior, in the context of an apocalypse.  Regular people would have absolutely no idea how to move through combat as soldiers.  Randomly shooting into crowds of zombies amid the living would certainly be treacherous and deadly.  But they have no choice, and the results are clear.

There are other moments that I enjoyed, but those are the ones that stand out the most.  For me, the pacing was key -- it's one of the creative aspects that woefully disintegrated over several seasons of TWD.  I don't want to see people get comfortable when the dead are coming back to life to dine on the living.  I want to see momentum.  I want people to keep moving, altering, shifting, and transforming into the suitably clever, resourceful and  tough  survivor of an abominable wasteland.  You can't have your characters continue to make stupid decisions after eight years (TWD).  It's still okay to be a total idiot in the first six weeks.  We'll see if this show decides to render survivors who sack up for good.

Sure, there are whole episodes of Black Summer that I avoided, but overall, as a lifelong fan of the genre, I was able to cherry-pick what I wanted to see from what they gave me. I had a lot of fun doing it.

• Like 1