Type keyword(s) to search

AGT The Champions: All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

Courtney really is a favorite if this show.  I really hated the phony SHOCKED reactions of the judges when she first appeared, acting as if they had no idea what her act was.   So, now I hate Howie's  "I don't recognize that song?"  as if he were sincerely asking.   

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ketchuplover said:

Kechi will be the CoC. Mark my initials.

If you take away the horrific burns, sob story and sympathy factor, her singing is capable but not spectacular.  JMHO.  I'm glad Brian Justin Crum won the other spot, although what a surprise:  two singers!

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 5

I haven't been keeping up.  How many singers does that make now?  That is one of the things I have always hated about AGT--too many singers when there are more interesting acts.   AGT is so hard to watch because it is so long, and I have to watch it on demand and it is hard to sit through it for two hours.  

• Love 3

I think all but 1 or 2 are singers.  I think Preacher Lawson and the freaky knife throwers (not that they are freaky, but they freaked me out).  Everyone else is singers.  I think.

Also...tamping down my tin foil hat on my head.   As for the "super fans" voting?   Uh, no.  It is Simon Cowell saying I own this show and this is what you're going to do.  He works with singers.  The majority of the "winners" are singers.   Me and my tin foil hat say it's so.

• Love 13

I think we all need to take a shot every time Howie reminds us that "Only two will go through." I wonder if he thinks that we forget that important bit of information. 

I still enjoy Terry Crews as a host. Especially after how he handled being involved in Tape Face's act. Can we keep him for the regular seasons?

When I first saw Brian Justin Crum, I instantly thought of George Michael with that cross earring. I half-expecting him to sing a "ballard-ized" version of a George Michael song. But he did a fine job taking on an Elton John song. I've heard "Your Song" many times, but I feel that Brian had made it his own, and I'm getting a little less of an Adam Lambert vibe from him. He and Kechi seem like they would be best at ballads. 

Tape Face - I may get killed for saying this, but I enjoyed this very first AGT performance (his audition) the best. It was just him having fun with ordinary everyday materials. I feel like too much audience involvement is involved in his acts (especially that staple gun fight that he had with a random audience member in the semi-finals of Season Eleven). But I did enjoy his act, more so the bit he did with Terry. I still do enjoy Tape Face, and may see him when he comes to Virginia.

Kinichi - I'm curious as how to he gets his body to do what it does. But what I liked about his performance is that he just doesn't move or perform with random and distracting backgrounds (i.e. Front Picture's final performance last year, and many others), but he interacts with it and tells a story of some kind. Mel's scream's though...

Paul Zerdin - So I stopped watching AGT at around Season Three, and began watching again at Season Eleven. So it is nice to all of these acts that I only heard about but have not seen at all. At first I was wondering if Paul was going to do comedy with his voice, but I liked how he mixed his act with commentary and with ventriloquism. It was different from what I usually see on AGT. There were times I felt that his performance dragged, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. 

I will admit that I am finding myself growing tired of seeing card trick acts, but I did Issy Simpson. I do find her and her commentary during her act adorable. 

As the the episodes go forward, I'm starting to wonder if AGT Champions seemed good on paper, but in some ways does not seem good when coming into fruition. I'm just wondering this because there are acts that we've seen here that have won in their countries, but probably wouldn't get past auditions or judge cuts on America's Got Talent. If I recall correctly, the only people outside of America that made it through were singers. Not a one variety act. 

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

I think all but 1 or 2 are singers.  I think Preacher Lawson and the freaky knife throwers (not that they are freaky, but they freaked me out).  Everyone else is singers.  I think.

Also...tamping down my tin foil hat on my head.   As for the "super fans" voting?   Uh, no.  It is Simon Cowell saying I own this show and this is what you're going to do.  He works with singers.  The majority of the "winners" are singers.   Me and my tin foil hat say it's so.

Wow that sucks.  Well I will probably not bother to watch the episodes I have missed.  There is no reason to have that many singers (other than the one you posted, which is probably true!)

• Love 1

Honestly, I watch the shows on fast forward.  I watch the performances, because I enjoy those for the most part.  Even if I don't think the person deserves to win, I do enjoy watching people sing their faces off.  I always enjoy magicians, even bad ones.  I find the acts themselves interesting, even if I don't think they are the best.  I FF through the back stories and the judges comments.  It really doesn't take that long to watch when you do it that way.

Edited by bunnyface
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I don't think you have to be a tin foil hat wearer to realize Simon Says is what the show really is!  :D

I wouldn't believe there are 50 Superfans voting if they paraded them all out on stage in the final Champions episode.  That would be fake too.  Central Casting will be busy that day.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I think we all need to take a shot every time Howie reminds us that "Only two will go through." I wonder if he thinks that we forget that important bit of information. 

I still enjoy Terry Crews as a host. Especially after how he handled being involved in Tape Face's act. Can we keep him for the regular seasons?

When I first saw Brian Justin Crum, I instantly thought of George Michael with that cross earring. I half-expecting him to sing a "ballard-ized" version of a George Michael song. But he did a fine job taking on an Elton John song. I've heard "Your Song" many times, but I feel that Brian had made it his own, and I'm getting a little less of an Adam Lambert vibe from him. He and Kechi seem like they would be best at ballads. 

Tape Face - I may get killed for saying this, but I enjoyed this very first AGT performance (his audition) the best. It was just him having fun with ordinary everyday materials. I feel like too much audience involvement is involved in his acts (especially that staple gun fight that he had with a random audience member in the semi-finals of Season Eleven). But I did enjoy his act, more so the bit he did with Terry. I still do enjoy Tape Face, and may see him when he comes to Virginia.

Kinichi - I'm curious as how to he gets his body to do what it does. But what I liked about his performance is that he just doesn't move or perform with random and distracting backgrounds (i.e. Front Picture's final performance last year, and many others), but he interacts with it and tells a story of some kind. Mel's scream's though...

Paul Zerdin - So I stopped watching AGT at around Season Three, and began watching again at Season Eleven. So it is nice to all of these acts that I only heard about but have not seen at all. At first I was wondering if Paul was going to do comedy with his voice, but I liked how he mixed his act with commentary and with ventriloquism. It was different from what I usually see on AGT. There were times I felt that his performance dragged, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. 

I will admit that I am finding myself growing tired of seeing card trick acts, but I did Issy Simpson. I do find her and her commentary during her act adorable. 

As the the episodes go forward, I'm starting to wonder if AGT Champions seemed good on paper, but in some ways does not seem good when coming into fruition. I'm just wondering this because there are acts that we've seen here that have won in their countries, but probably wouldn't get past auditions or judge cuts on America's Got Talent. If I recall correctly, the only people outside of America that made it through were singers. Not a one variety act. 

Each episode has a "filler" act, one that won't go through no matter what, and it seems to be the foreign winners or entries from other countries, with the exception of Cristina Ramos, the Spanish singer.  Also seems whoever opens the show is doomed or is another filler-type act.

• Love 1

I remember Drew Lynch becoming insufferable towards the end of his season, getting too big for his britches, but he appears to have humbled out over the past couple years. I don't know if that was brought on by coming in second or if people around him told him to cool it, but it was nice to enjoy him again.

Can't watch The Professional Regurgitator. Even had to turn my sound off. Yuck yuck yuck.

How is this show gonna have the clip of Brian Justin Crum only coming in fourth and cut out the part with his shocked face? That was pure art of the highest form.

I felt the editing did Kenichi Ebina a real disservice. He was perfectly lined up with his projections when you saw the whole stage but when zoomed in he looked off. I feel like the performance was probably better than how we saw it. I wish they'd just let the whole thing go for one take with no cuts.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Are you trying to get us all killed?

2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Can't watch The Professional Regurgitator. Even had to turn my sound off. Yuck yuck yuck.

I muted my TV and watched Randy Rainbow's newest youtube video while the regurgitator guy was on. Sorry, cannot watch him, either. Just hearing that sound he makes, makes me want to gag.

I liked Kenichi's dog. I used to work with a guy who had one of those in his office. It was fun.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Are you trying to get us all killed?

I muted my TV and watched Randy Rainbow's newest youtube video while the regurgitator guy was on. Sorry, cannot watch him, either. Just hearing that sound he makes, makes me want to gag.

I liked Kenichi's dog. I used to work with a guy who had one of those in his office. It was fun.

I couldn't watch the Scottish Regurgitator man either.  When he pulled out the razor blade, I fled the room into the kitchen!  I'm glad Simon buzzed him, even though I don't think buzzers should be on the Champions.  What is with Heidi?  Why is this guy her absolute favorite?  Is she crazy or is it a dig back at Simon (who she must know hates him)?  That guy creeped me out.  No front upper teeth and that blue reptile skin print shirt, unbuttoned of course.  Gross.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I couldn't watch the Scottish Regurgitator man either.  When he pulled out the razor blade, I fled the room into the kitchen!  I'm glad Simon buzzed him, even though I don't think buzzers should be on the Champions.  What is with Heidi?  Why is this guy her absolute favorite?  Is she crazy or is it a dig back at Simon (who she must know hates him)?  That guy creeped me out.  No front upper teeth and that blue reptile skin print shirt, unbuttoned of course.  Gross.

I didn't even know he got buzzed (though I agree on the buzzer thing).

I wasn't a fan of Drew Lynch back when he was on (and I'm still not), but he looks cute with his new haircut.

Simon's annoying with how he disses on acts for no reason. Paul Zerdin didn't step it up? But then he gives Kechi, an average singer, the golden buzzer? What a joke. Guess the "superfans" (who likely don't exist, lol) didn't agree as Paul came 2nd in voting.

Sorry, but Kechi probably wouldn't have made it past the first live round in her season if she didn't have her sob story. Her voice is not that amazing. This act is 100% back story. Her getting the GB is a joke. And I agree that Simon needs to stop with the, "I didn't like it, I loved it" bit. It's so old and predictable.

The Moonlight Brothers are decent dancers, but this act just doesn't compare to the rest of what we're seeing.

Tape Face is beyond silly, but I missed him. I just love when he nods his head around to communicate.

I'll always love how much Heidi loves the Regurgitator. It was adorable how she went crazy when he walked out on stage. And again, screw Simon. Why would you buzz a man as he's swallowing a blade? I did enjoy the into video... "Lots of singers, lots of comedians... why only one regurgitator?" Did you guys notice that he changed into a sparkly green jacket for the results? lol

I had to laugh at how every act is like, "I'm here to win Champions! I'm stepping up my game so much! Defending my title! Showing America what I'm made of!" And then Kenichi is just like, "I'm getting old, this is going to be tough."

I agree that there should be no buzzers on this. These acts were invited back. It's just disrespectful.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, UsernameGoesHere said:

I wasn't a fan of Drew Lynch back when he was on (and I'm still not), but he looks cute with his new haircut.

Simon's annoying with how he disses on acts for no reason. Paul Zerdin didn't step it up? But then he gives Kechi, an average singer, the golden buzzer? What a joke. Guess the "superfans" (who likely don't exist, lol) didn't agree as Paul came 2nd in voting.

Sorry, but Kechi probably wouldn't have made it past the first live round in her season if she didn't have her sob story. Her voice is not that amazing. This act is 100% back story. Her getting the GB is a joke. And I agree that Simon needs to stop with the, "I didn't like it, I loved it" bit. It's so old and predictable.

The Moonlight Brothers are decent dancers, but this act just doesn't compare to the rest of what we're seeing.

Tape Face is beyond silly, but I missed him. I just love when he nods his head around to communicate.

I'll always love how much Heidi loves the Regurgitator. It was adorable how she went crazy when he walked out on stage. And again, screw Simon. Why would you buzz a man as he's swallowing a blade? I did enjoy the into video... "Lots of singers, lots of comedians... why only one regurgitator?" Did you guys notice that he changed into a sparkly green jacket for the results? lol

I had to laugh at how every act is like, "I'm here to win Champions! I'm stepping up my game so much! Defending my title! Showing America what I'm made of!" And then Kenichi is just like, "I'm getting old, this is going to be tough."

I agree that there should be no buzzers on this. These acts were invited back. It's just disrespectful.

Does someone have any backstory on why Heidi loves Reguritator Man?  Does he remind her of a kindly (albeit German) uncle?  Heidi seems to be a little more classy than enjoying things coming out of people's mouths.  I can't remember her reactions to the Human Fountain frat boys act though.  I'm really dismayed.

• Love 1

Legal disclosure which aired in the credits:  "voting was conducted and tabulated by an independent third party.  composition of superfan voting panel based on survey responses and may vary by episode. winning act receives $25,000 in addition to announced prize." 

Relatedly, Tape Face will be the auctioneer as the Brooklyn Bridge is up for bids on Funk & Wagnalls' front porch Feb, 29, 2019. 

Incredible mediocrities once again in this "champions" show.  I knew instantly that when Kechi got the GB, Grim or whatever his name is would win the "vote."  This was a Simon ep all the way.    

What was the point of announcing the 3rd place tie?  We knew right away that each of them were out.  Such contortions to keep up the voting pretenses.

Nobody could touch Kenichi, imo.  Zerdin was dang good - and genuinely funny.  Seeing Tape Face again was a hoot.  The Texas Tenors were the most impressive vocalists, imo.  Issa was a cutie pie and fun.  I loved her bossing the jidges around. 

Crews was a very good sport and is waaaaaay better than Tyra.  I bet he has won the regular gig.

• Love 5

I liked seeing some old favorites like Tapeface, Kenichi, and Paul Zerdin, but in every other respect, this "Champions" thing has become a s---tstorm. The four acts that went through in the last two weeks were all singers. Which is just more confirmation that the "Superfan" voting thing is a farce and Simon is calling the shots, because we all know if it were up to him the finalists would be nothing but singers. (with maybe Vicki Barbolak thrown on).

My theory is that former champions were paid a truckload of money to appear, and promised they would not move forward, so no worries about interference with their active careers. Notice that most of the people making the finals likely have no career. At least among the Americans, not sure about the Spanish singer, but for her its an opportunity to get exposure in the U.S.

The "Champions" is about trying again to make former contestants happen who were overhyped by the producers in their original season but still couldn't win. Looking at you, Brian Justin Crum. If the voting was legitimate I just don't believe there's a snowball's chance in hell he'd have been the top vote getter. (How ridiculous are those color coded US maps showing the results? Like we're watching CNN Election Central).

I hate the Golden Buzzer, since all these past contestants should now be on equal footing. Also hate Simon buzzing acts. Tom Cotter is a pro, and that was hugely disrespectful. To me, he's a throwback to comedians I saw as a kid on shows like Ed Sullivan. Meaning he actually gets on stage and tells jokes, instead of doing an entire routine about having a disability, or inviting people to laugh at him because he's ugly. (That's apparently Simon's taste in "comedy.")

My other takeaway this week is that as much as I like Paul Zerdin, and was happy he won his season, I believe that Darci Lynn is a more accomplished ventriloquist. That little girl is so amazing.

And I'm virtually certain now that the Professional Regurgitator is doing a very clever sleight of hand magic act. His rippling his stomach muscles and pounding his stomach are all misdirection. I'm not sure why people are disgusted by his act, since the objects he brings up are dry, not covered in digestive juices. A tip off that he's not actually swallowing anything.  I just don't believe that a razor blade can be manipulated in the stomach to slice a cherry tomato, or that bolts can be placed on a screw. (How would you even locate those objects in your stomach after they've been swallowed?)

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 9

I also suspect that Stevie the Regurgitator is some sort of magician for the same reasons that bluepiano gave. 

He was also on a German TV show  “(Showdown der weltbesten Magier“)that showcased magicians so somebody must be identifying him as one.

And speaking of him being on German TV, he was back on Germany's version of “Got Talent“ and actually won. That was in late December, which is why it wasn't mentioned on this show.

Maybe Heidi likes him for his German TV connections....

Edited by die Frau
Added a show title
  • Love 3

WHY would they show the tied for 3rd place people in the final 2 minutes only to have them OBVIOUSLY be the 3rd and 4th place anyway.  Like.  Duh????????????????   What was that all about?  Does this show think we are morons?

Also, while I love singers and love a lot of them on this show, we've got American Idol and The Voice for that.  All these singers getting through is ridiculous.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, die Frau said:

I also suspect that Stevie the Regurgitator is some sort of magician for the same reasons that bluepiano gave. 

He was also on a German TV show  “(Showdown der weltbesten Magier“)that showcased magicians so somebody must be identifying him as one.

And speaking of him being on German TV, he was back on Germany's version of “Got Talent“ and actually won. That was in late December, which is why it wasn't mentioned on this show.

Maybe Heidi likes him for his German TV connections....

That has to be it.

We are 1 episode behind, so these are just a few comments I have for episode 1-3
- Susan Boyle could not have been more deflated when she got the golden buzzer :D   She probably did the AGT:C as a favor for Simon and only expected to make 1 appearance.  Now she has to do at least 1 more :D :D  She does not need the show, TBH

- I was rooting for Darci Lynne to be voted through just so she could go head to head with Preacher Lawson again... and win again.... :D :D :D Just because I think that would be funny

- Howie wasted his GB on Hale, bleh.  Any of the final 3 acts would have been better IMHO

- Preacher had the funniest set out of all comedians in these 3 episodes.

- Viktor Kree would have fared better in episode 3.  The talents were stacked in ep 2, compared to ep3.  Little kid DJ? Daredevil duo? C'mon!!

- Simon pretty much dismissed contestants from shows that he did not judge (older AGT seasons included).  Those contestants had to be impressive for him to be on their sides.  OTOH, people he already knew had much easier time with him.

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 4

I feel like the name of the show should be America’s Got Singers.

We DVR & FF so we miss a lot of the back story unless it is someone we really like. So we are FFing a lot. This is a sucky season. :(

• Love 2
7 hours ago, die Frau said:

I do give him credit for coming up with an original angle that enables him to market himself as something other than a sleight of hand magician, a very crowded field. So crowded that where I live sleight of hand magicians make the rounds of local clubs and bars and do their act for patrons just for tips. And the ones I've seen are really really good.

57 minutes ago, ShellyD said:

I feel like the name of the show should be America’s Got Singers.

We DVR & FF so we miss a lot of the back story unless it is someone we really like. So we are FFing a lot. This is a sucky season. :(

It's definitely become way more "America's Got Singers" since Simon's return. It kills me that he always says, after a variety act performs, "where else would you see this than America's Got Talent." And then somehow the singers always go through at the expense of some amazing variety acts. 

I guess I'm still harboring a grudge about the early elimination of The Kristoff Brothers, one of my all time favorite AGT acts. The truth is that all the AGT acts that have impressed me were magicians, acrobats, hand balancers, or ventriloquists. I've never seen a singer on this show that wowed me.

When I was a kid there were a lot of TV variety shows that presented variety acts. (I fondly remember the plate spinners and Chinese acrobats on Ed Sullivan).  I can watch other shows to see mediocre singers doing karaoke, and I especially don't want to see little kids singing. (The dance acts and comedians generally also leave me cold.)

Without DVR and FF I would never be able to sit through AGT. Or The Voice, American Idol, or any other TV competition show. They're all about 50% filler, commercials, and judges yacking to hear themselves talk.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/agt-champions-superfans-voters-answers-nbc-americas-got-talent-news/

The Superfans were not in the audience watching the acts perform along with judges Simon Cowell, Heidi Klum, Mel B and Howie Mandel. Instead, the “America’s Got Talent” rep explains that “this elite group of individuals watched each show taping off-camera in a controlled environment within the show’s venue.” While the exact number of voters was not disclosed, they did confirm earlier reports that the Superfans are “not necessarily the exact same group of individuals voting for each episode, but there was some cross-over from week-to-week, similar to what you would find with any voting show.”

This is what they claim in the article.

• Love 1

I noticed that the winners of some countries probably wouldn't go over well here as winners in this country.

The Bohemian Rhapsody lady. I didn't like the arrangement or the way she sang the song. Kind of like Susan Boyle. You can't really complain about her vocals, but I don't appreciate her rendition of Wild Horses. More to the point, I don't like it. I don't think she's going to win this time. 

The four year old who won Africa's Got Talent. He's a DJ. That's great, but who didn't see his not going through coming? 

Did Courtney win Britain's Got Talent or some other talent show in Britain? Because I think she's kind of done now. Her act was over after the first performance. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I noticed that the winners of some countries probably wouldn't go over well here as winners in this country.

The Bohemian Rhapsody lady. I didn't like the arrangement or the way she sang the song. Kind of like Susan Boyle. You can't really complain about her vocals, but I don't appreciate her rendition of Wild Horses. More to the point, I don't like it. I don't think she's going to win this time. 

The four year old who won Africa's Got Talent. He's a DJ. That's great, but who didn't see his not going through coming? 

Did Courtney win Britain's Got Talent or some other talent show in Britain? Because I think she's kind of done now. Her act was over after the first performance. 

I believe she was on The Voice Kids - UK. She was a finalist. 

JorWat on Reddit posted that NBC's PR group has already published spoiler pics from the February 11th finals. (So I guess there are only six episodes.)

I wasn't able to click through the mini snaps, but I was able to see at least two who got wildcards:

Spoiler

Darci-Lynne and Jon Dorenbos

For the upcoming fifth episode, it also looks like...

Spoiler

Shin's in the finals and I think that's Kseniya in another pic.

So far my theory of who the producers manipulate the win for is holding up. I'm still thinking Shin and Darci, with Shin winning.

Every once in a blue moon, I hear a song in the background I’ve never heard before during the performance. Not to take away from the spotlight of the act, but it drives me all kinds of crazy that I have no way to know the artist. Anyone know of a way to find out? I feel it should be credited somewhere on the bottom of my tv screen or something. I notice a lot of commercials have started doing this now despite the relevance of the product they are selling.  

14 hours ago, Candide said:

Every once in a blue moon, I hear a song in the background I’ve never heard before during the performance. Not to take away from the spotlight of the act, but it drives me all kinds of crazy that I have no way to know the artist. Anyone know of a way to find out? I feel it should be credited somewhere on the bottom of my tv screen or something. I notice a lot of commercials have started doing this now despite the relevance of the product they are selling.  

Tune Find is a great resource for music used in TV and film. Here's the page for AGT: The Championshttps://www.tunefind.com/show/americas-got-talent-the-champions/season-1

• Love 1

We know that Rat Pack Sal isn't going to win, but he's fun entertainment.  It still looked to me like Jackie Evancho was lip-synching one of her recordings.  Not saying that she can't sing, but it just always seemed as if she were lip-synching.

• Love 2

This was the toughest of the groupings to-date.  Wow.

The palsic comedian had the best material, by far, so far this season.  I do wonder, though, if a pre-recorded performance ought to be counted.  

Jackie's music choice was not difficult to perform.  It also, for me, is the Phantom's song, not Christine's.  However, if singers gotta go through, she would have been a fine choice. 

Sal pal busts out the cheesiest cheese that ever cheesed, and Simon was smiling like a rube the whole time.  Boy, how the cool dude has fallen.  That performance would never have got through an AI audition.  Champion's night?  Ay yi yi. 

I loved Colin.  Did it have to be The Hoff, though?  Ew.

While I was amazed by Kseniya, it's impossible to not wonder how she tops it.  What "new" "Take it to the next level" things are there?  It's purely a matter of style with her, isn't it?  She was a most deserving GB.  I'd be fine with her winning it all.  I don't see how she can.

Shin will never win this season.  He's awesome, nonetheless.  The voters, ahem, got it right tonight.

Terry gets better with each show.  His real time reactions, to Shin most especially, were as good as any Nick ever had.

• Love 3