Type keyword(s) to search

AGT The Champions: All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

More than enough. 

She didn't even make the top 5. Her schtick worked with the general viewing audience for one or two performances. After that, she was done. She's probably there because she signed a record deal and Simon needs to remind everyone to buy her album. 

This was taped before the record deal was signed 

• Love 1

This SuperFan thing feels really, really rigged. It really feels like the producers decided they cannot have the voting come out the way America has voted in recent years, so we are going to make up some ridiculous format and rig it. Horrible.

And related, it was absolutely clear from the jump that Preacher was going to go through, end of story. It was like that when he was on before, but this time it was palpable. I see some people like him/dislike Vicki, and vice versa. I get that but, how anyone could find Preachers borderline racist routine funny is beyond me. I did notice that before all he did was imitate Kevin Hart for 5 minutes, and it really looked like he’s heard that and was avoiding it. I still think he could be a terrific sitcom actor or maybe a good comedian with different material but that guy is not funny, not at all.

Interesting to read posts by people explaining that absolute train wreck “champion” group from Australia winning over there because they were less horrible than everyone else. They were horrible.

I think Mel B should be replaced. If you cannot watch a danger act and give the feedback you are being paid to provide, you aren’t doing your job.

Final 3 were laughable. Of course it was an amusing set up for Preacher, but the other 2? The former 11 year old winner with the sob story was worse than everyone but Australia’s Got NoTalent and while I love Sophie, she didn’t belong in the Top 3.  

I agree with those who hate the Buzzer format. It’s impossible with 10 supposed top shelf acts. I also think 3 should go through.

Edited by SG11
  • Love 7

I haven't logged into this board in a year and a half. I came back just to say that my boy Alex Magala is back and better than ever! I know some people can't stomach him but I could watch him all day. I'm so glad he was brought back, it's like he finally got the wildcard he deserved years ago when he was voted off in favor of Marty freaking Brown (I'm still bitter). I loved every second of his performance. My only complaint is all the slow-mo nonsense they added in. WHY. The dude is insane but he's amazing to watch and he's also one of the hottest guys ever on the show.

But seriously, what is this format? What is this superfan nonsense? Only TWO people go through? It's all just terrible. At least there's no Tyra. Can we keep Terry?

Didn't really like Vicki last season, and I didn't like her now. I laughed when Simon said she could've won last season with that routine. I think not. She might be decent on a sitcom, but the material she writes isn't funny. I did enjoy Preacher. I like when he shouts and is over the top, lol. He has a fun personality. I can live with him making it through.

I had to laugh at the Australian boy band. WTF was that? LOL

I'm really sad to see that the Kristef Brothers aren't going to be a part of this. They're my favorite act ever. And as far as dogs go, I would've preferred Christian and Scooby (or whatever dog he performs with these days) to Sara and Hero. Never liked them and this episode didn't change that. And where's William Close?

• Love 1
18 hours ago, SG11 said:

This SuperFan thing feels really, really rigged. It really feels like the producers decided they cannot have the voting come out the way America has voted in recent years, so we are going to make up some ridiculous format and rig it. Horrible.

I wonder if this was a knee-jerk response to the two Chosen Ones from last season (Courtney Hadwin and Michael Ketterer) both not winning or really coming within striking distance of doing so, with Michael only placing fifth and Courtney not even cracking the Top 5. I was hoping the overwhelming mandate from the voting audience last season that we would not be manipulated into favoring pre-determined winners would get them to back off, but I'm getting nervous that they've decided to course-correct in the other direction and will make it harder for audience-preferred acts who don't line up with producer favorites to make it through when the regular season comes back.

At the very least you'd think a Chosen One being arrested the day following the finale for hitting his wife would get them to think about not pushing certain acts too hard in case they severely misjudge their character.

• Love 6

I got to see this episode last night. First, I like Terry. I wish he could/would replace Tyra. For oh, so many reasons.

I didn't see the nerves or whatever everyone else was commenting on with Susan Boyle. I thought she did fine, although I wasn't wild (wild ... ha) about her song choice. But she performed well and looked great. She is a tiny thing though, who knew? I was fine with her getting the Golden Buzzer.

Of all the other acts, the one I would never EVER vote for or want to go through was the one who did. Did not like him AT ALL during his season, like him even less this time. But no one listens to me.

How do they know the voting ages and gender of the American Fans? And who are these "fans?" Maybe AGT's production crew?

I did enjoy the rest of the acts, what I got to see anyway when the camera didn't cut away to show the AMAZED! SCARED! THRILLED! judges. I hate that, but it must be in their contracts to show them all X amount of times. To be clear though, I did not see the Aussie boy group so remove them from the mix of acts I liked!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I wonder if this was a knee-jerk response to the two Chosen Ones from last season (Courtney Hadwin and Michael Ketterer) both not winning or really coming within striking distance of doing so, with Michael only placing fifth and Courtney not even cracking the Top 5. I was hoping the overwhelming mandate from the voting audience last season that we would not be manipulated into favoring pre-determined winners would get them to back off, but I'm getting nervous that they've decided to course-correct in the other direction and will make it harder for audience-preferred acts who don't line up with producer favorites to make it through when the regular season comes back.

At the very least you'd think a Chosen One being arrested the day following the finale for hitting his wife would get them to think about not pushing certain acts too hard in case they severely misjudge their character.

All good points. There’s been a number of acts not fare well in America’s voting that clearly didn’t meet the expectations of the shows obvious biases and their pushing of certain acts, so this SuperFan thing is a weak way to take that possibility away from those silly flyover state voters they disrespect so much. I have no doubt there a rigged artificial composition to the SuperFans that’s designed for the results they desire.

• Love 2

I was soooo relieved that the Golden Buzzer did not go to Courtney "Joplin."  The buzzer choice was weak, but not THAT weak.

I'd bet anything I own and that YOU own that first timer (to Ameriker) Christina would never in a million years outvote Darci amongst Americans.  I took her as a female Poppycock.  (Speaking of which, It appears my Prince returns next week!)  Talented, but unlikable to a significant portion of the audience.  Darci is a forever AGT Goddess.  

Piff and Darci's appearances had the feel of a victory tour.  They get some free exposure and AGT fills the show with fan favorites.  I was fine with it.  Glad to see each of them.

Viktor was his customary amazing self.  I'd have given him one of the two slots.

• Love 8

The Superfans, whoever they may be, still got Courtney Hadwin to the top three.  Thankfully she didn't win.  I was impressed only because in the end it was revealed that her song was an original, which made me feel better that I hadn't missed something because, like Howie said, I'd not heard that song.  It's hard to see Darci Lynne get cut out of this Champions go-through.  She was amazing tonight and she's really blossoming into quite a lovely young lady.  I only started watching AGT in 2017, so I missed a lot of these acts and am happy to be introduced to them now.  I love, love, love Piff the Magic Dragon and Mr. Piffles!  I really loved the other dog act too. Ashleigh and Sully (RIP to Pudsey).  Cristina Ramos was winner material, just for her outfit alone.  I thought the Golden Buzzer going to the Deadly Games couple was fair, as that was a very dangerous act and was beautifully presented.

• Love 4

Have we found out who these super fans are? Was there a contest or how did they pick them? Is there one per state or 10 per state or is it so many per state based on population?

I was surprised America did not vote for Darci. How long ago was this taped? Darci said she was 13 and she turned 14 in October. So was this taper right after the end of the last season?

I was happy with Heidi's choice. I like the variety for the finale besides singers. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, silverspoons said:

Have we found out who these super fans are? Was there a contest or how did they pick them? Is there one per state or 10 per state or is it so many per state based on population?

I was surprised America did not vote for Darci. How long ago was this taped? Darci said she was 13 and she turned 14 in October. So was this taper right after the end of the last season?

I was happy with Heidi's choice. I like the variety for the finale besides singers. 

It was like Sep 28 to October 17th. Darci was a bit screwed by going on first. I can't see anyone that is first get the golden buzzer it would ruin it for the rest of the acts.

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Love 5

Thing annoying me also Simon saying whoever wins is best of the best etc. Terry Fator is probably the most successful winner from the American version and if he isn't in this competition I am not sure how anyone can call themselves the best, but ok. Mat Franco and Grace not being in either also weaken the title a bit.

I figured Taylor and Courtney being on this show from months ago when it was announced. That picture of Taylor and Heidi in bed now looks even more awkward since she is engaged and back then when it was taped she wasn't, but viewers are supposed to think this is live I guess she "forgot" her engagement ring. 

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Love 3

Also with the Golden Buzzer it doesn't work here. As we were saying last week they can't wait for the last act because then its a guarantee for the last act to get the Golden Buzzer. Therefore since the GB was not awarded by the 9th performer that basically guarantees the 9th performer will get it because they can't go into the last act with the Golden buzzer on the table, because there is no suspense. In the normal one they had weeks they felt no one was good and no golden buzzer was awarded. Yet the forced Golden Buzzer here really ruins that.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, silverspoons said:

I don't recall hearing of the opportunity to apply to be a Super Fan, did you?         From monstersandcritics.com     "The name is pretty self-explanatory. The AGT superfans are a group of people who applied for the positions and absolutely love the show. These 50 individuals help determine which acts will make it to the finals. "

• Love 3

Well if Prince does not go through next week, I may be done.  His was the second season I watched and he ruined it for me for everyone after that. Nobody could match up to him for me. 

That Courtney girl was horrible. I didnt see that season, obviously, but I did not understand the tongue bath she got from Simon.

• Love 6

I sincerely thought Christina Ramos was terrible - she looked great and loves me some Bohemian Rhapsody; but for me, it was awful. Perhaps it sounded better live? I dunno. I can't believe she made it through. 

For the life of me, I'll never understand the fascination with Courtney Hadwin. I closed my eyes while she performed so I could just concentrate on her voice and I cannot imagine sitting through an entire concert of that - or even a song or two. Impressed that her song was an original and I didn't find it terrible, but her whole schtick grates my nerves. 

I've never liked ventriloquists, but I still think Darci Lynn was better than Christina. And honest to God, I love Ashleigh & Sully and Piff. 

Methinks the Golden Buzzer isn't working in this format. I think they should be able to see all the acts, bring them out - then grant one a pass through to the end based on all the judges voting, and give one vote to the audience. But, whatever. 

• Love 9

It was good to see Viktor again. I did miss his colourful makeup and costumes, because it added the fantasy element to his juggling performances. But his act last night was beautiful and serene to watch. I was almost worried that he would do similar movements to his acts on Season 11, but he changed it up. On a side note, I'm glad Heidi did not come up with her double entendre jokes regarding Viktor's balls. I'm kind of bummed that he didn't make it through. 

I can understand the judge's comments of DDF's performance. I will say that their routine was fun, they had a great energy about them, and I was a tad out of breath watching them (and I do 40 minutes of cardio on the daily!), what they've done probably wouldn't get past AGT's Judge Cuts, because they've seen acts such as that before. I can understand that they won Holland's (? correct me on the country if I wrong) Got Talent. They said so themselves, they saw visiting Americans doing the routine, so they took it and won GT with it because it was something new.

This is probably why Darcy didn't get through. I enjoy her (and many have since she was in the top 2). America has seen her win, and it was recent, even though it was a little over a year ago. The "superfans" did not see Cristina on Spain's Got Talent. I could be wrong with my observations. 

I wonder how much of Courtney's segment was producer pushed. Her walking out - the  cheers and the standing ovation as she's walking out. The judges giving her a tongue bath. People walking past the judge's table prior to Courtney beginning to perform (at first I wondered if she had an entourage or something). The people that walked past the judge's table front in center right in front of the stage like a mosh pit without the moshing. It just seemed to be a lot of pushing or pimping for Miss "Screaming" Courtney Hadwin. As I said on Season 13's board, she has potential. She just needs to learn control so she can be a little more understandable, and so her screams and sound more like actual high notes, and not screams. 

Watching Courtney and seeing Simon praise her immediately made me think of Michael Ketterer, and also made me glad that he was not on Champions. I guess if it were never revealed that he had a few dents in his halo, Simon may have pushed for him to be on. With a few Garth Brooks-written songs in tow for him to sing.

I was expecting for Heidi to give her Golden Buzzer to a singer based on her track record. I was pleasantly surprised that she had given it to Deadly Games. Even though we have two singers in the finals, it is evened out by two variety acts (Preacher Lawson and Deadly Games). 

That's all I have based on what I can remember from last night. On to next week! 

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Lunula said:

I sincerely thought Christina Ramos was terrible - she looked great and loves me some Bohemian Rhapsody; but for me, it was awful. Perhaps it sounded better live? I dunno. I can't believe she made it through. 

For the life of me, I'll never understand the fascination with Courtney Hadwin. I closed my eyes while she performed so I could just concentrate on her voice and I cannot imagine sitting through an entire concert of that - or even a song or two. Impressed that her song was an original and I didn't find it terrible, but her whole schtick grates my nerves. 

I've never liked ventriloquists, but I still think Darci Lynn was better than Christina. And honest to God, I love Ashleigh & Sully and Piff. 

Methinks the Golden Buzzer isn't working in this format. I think they should be able to see all the acts, bring them out - then grant one a pass through to the end based on all the judges voting, and give one vote to the audience. But, whatever. 

People at tapings said these shows lasted about 8 hours a piece and all the acts would perform multiple times.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, anthonyd46 said:

People at tapings said these shows lasted about 8 hours a piece and all the acts would perform multiple times.

So then ''they' get to choose what performance is aired?  What the super fans actually see?  Hmmmmm......

• Love 1

It would be the shock of my watching TV for several decades if this show, including ALL results, were not completely scripted.

The acts may not have been let in on this being true, but they'd have to be utterly naive to not understand some acts are more equal than others to SYCO.

I found Christina to be shrill in several parts of her presentation last evening.  In studio, that would have been fixed.  She certainly has a big voice.  She's still very unpolished.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I don't recall hearing of the opportunity to apply to be a Super Fan, did you?         From monstersandcritics.com     "The name is pretty self-explanatory. The AGT superfans are a group of people who applied for the positions and absolutely love the show. These 50 individuals help determine which acts will make it to the finals. "

Thanks for posting this. I still wonder when they had this application. I guess it was not on he AGT site? I was going to go to the Vegas show and the easiest way to see tickets was going through the AGT site. I checked everyday , I live close to Vegas but I was waiting to see if there was a school event those days. I never saw anything announced. Also only 50 people, one per state? So when they say X contestant won with women 18-30, how many of the 50 are women 18-30, maybe 10? so that contestant might have gotten 3 votes from that age group? Plus if there is one per state why can't they put up a picture of the one super fab per state on the map.  They should have just had the 50 super fans in the audience.  I worked for the Nielsen ratings for a short time, I guess I am just super picky when it comes to these demos and voting claims. I'm sure there is some fine print at the end of the show I'm missing that explains the voting. 

• Love 4

Just some quick comments.

Darci Lynne, Singing Ventriloquist - I think she is very talented but just not for me. The locked teeth smiling that ventriloquists do always distracts me and takes me out of their act. I expect she will have plenty of success. I read that she might stop doing the ventriloquism and focus on singing.

Courtney Hadwin, Singer - She is the most manufactured act on this show. A complete fraud in my opinion. Dozens of shows and live performances and STILL does the "oh I'm so shy and nervous" routine? Sorry, not buying it. Despite the producers forcing her as the front runner on AGT, the american audience cast her out in 6th place. And again last night, I was so glad she was 3rd (would have preferred not even in the top 3). Add in the cringe for that "impromptu" mosh pit. 

Deadly Games, Knife Thrower Duo - Wow. Just wow. Normally there isn't much more you can do with knife throwing tricks and anyone that watches these shows has probably seen them all. They brought out something I have never seen before. That spinning thin box. Then to go on the outside AND the inside of it. Literally no margin for error, well done. Then the modern twist on the firing with a mirror. Using a phone's selfie camera which is harder since the camera actually distorts what you are looking at. It isn't 1:1 like a mirror is. So glad they got the golden buzzer.

Cristina Ramos, Singer - Ok this one seems to be controversial. When she started I didn't like it. Good opera, but was kinda boring. Then she pulled a Fifth Element on us and went full on Fhloston Paradise which made me laugh and like her. Not the best Bohemian Rhapsody remix but entertaining and surprising. So with what we were given of the top 3, I'm glad she won.

Piff the Magic Dragon, Comedy Magician - Always like Piff. Sometimes his stuff can't get a little drab and "kid's show" level but he was dialed in last night. Great banter, entertaining act, and I'm glad he got in his plug for his show in Vegas. My wife pretty much dismissed him because she thinks she saw how he did it and basically ignored everything else that was going on. His act isn't his magic, it is him...and Piffles.

Light Balance, Light-Up Dance Crew - Cool to see them again, but didn't see anything really outstanding. 

Taylor Williamson, Stand-up Comedian - Liked him before, still like him. That Cosby joke, edgy for this show and loved it. Liked him better than Preacher only because Preacher wears me out with the constant yelling. They both are good comedians though.

Ashleigh & Sully, Dog Act - She is one hell of a dog trainer. Just watching her commands and how focussed the dog was is pretty amazing. Cute act overall.

DDF Crew, Jump Roper Dance Crew - Good at what they do, a nice filler act, what can I say? Totally a dick move by Howie to say he has seen better. This isn't the regular show Howie. They were invited to compete. No other jump rope crew was invited or at least came. Why don't you say that to any of the singers? Surely you have heard better than Courtney.

Viktor Kee, Juggler - So weird to see him without his makeup during the interviews. Looks like a completely different guy. Love his act, love his personality. He really benefited from the new stage this year. The video panels on the floor allowed him to fully take advantage of his graphics element. 

I've come to the conclusion that Howie really has no idea what else to say anymore. After every act he brings up only 2 acts going through, fifty states, only 2 acts etc etc. It is like he is stuck in a loop from the old Live shows. This is all pretaped and even in the moment was out of anyone's control. There is no vote. There is no urgency. Just wasted air time. The super fans is pretty much a farse as are those stats they show.

And of course, the golden buzzer is pointless. I also don't believe for a minute that this is the order that the acts performed in. Maybe someone that went to the taping can chime in? 

• Love 4

For once I was pleased with the choices.

Darci Lynne doesn't need this show. She's already a star in her own right and being on the show takes away from touring (aka money making) time. She's only got but so many years so don't waste time coming on these reunion shows. Get out there and get rich, girl!

I was really impressed with the girl they chose. Holy Hannah what a RANGE!!!! Lord have mercy she deserves to be here and I can't wait to hear what else she does. That woman was phenomenal.

The knife throwing couple are the only danger act I can comfortably watch so I wasn't mad at them for putting them through.

Kinda bummed Piff didn't get through though...

Mostly it's nonsense. Only 2 out of the 10 acts we see will go through so why bother? 

Jump rope? Really? Howie was right. We've seen it before and seen it done better...even the light magic show was kinda meh to me. Good...but not wow-worthy...

Still not 100% convinced this whole thing ain't scripted.  I dunno, just...something about the whole thing don't seem 'true' to me. 

But it's either this or the Bachelor and heck no to that.

• Love 7

No way is this incarnation of AGT, The Champions, not scripted, rigged, and just downright foolish to keep talking about Superfans who nobody knows.  They should call them the Super Secret Fans.  One fan per state?  Doesn't make sense that one Superfan is going to represent all of California or New York and one represents lower and the lowest populated states.

I'm only watching this for the entertainment value and to see the acts I didn't get to see before.  I loved seeing Susan Boyle again, and since "Wild Horses" is one of my all-time favorite songs, I'll take it!  Darci Lynne certainly does not need this show; having her back is like icing on the cake.  It would be interesting if she eventually ditches a Vegas ventriloquist show and goes out as a solo singer or fronting a group.

Courtney.  By now she should have ditched the long-overused shy and nervous routine.  I don't think she has a great voice, to me she is a novelty act.  The mosh pit and guitar player posing antics were a bit much; like we're at a real rock concert?  C'mon!

I love all of the dog and cat acts.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I read that she might stop doing the ventriloquism and focus on singing.

She had a Christmas show in which she sang quite a bit without her puppets.  She is very talented and I wish her much success in everything she does!

• Love 5

Always great to see Darci Lynne. That girl is polished, poised, and consistently at the top of her game. I wish her all the success in the world, whether she decides to stick with ventriloquism or move to just regular singing. She's also got great comedic chops so maybe she'll consider acting/comedy as well? She could make a nice living for herself with a one-woman touring variety show.

I liked Light Balance and Taylor Williamson in their seasons but I didn't think either of them really brought it tonight, which is a shame because I was looking forward to seeing them again.

Viktor Kee! Beautiful as always. The way he timed his juggling with not just the projections but also the music was mesmerizing.

How was Courtney Hadwin a "fan favorite" in her season if she only came in sixth at most? Ready for her to go away whenever.

I think this was my favorite ever performance I've seen from Piff.

This was a tough one...I liked a lot of acts and wish more than two could go through. Glad to hear there will be wild cards.

• Love 4

Poor, beautiful Viktor. He should have been among the top 2, and if not given the GB then he should have been put through by the "super fans" (whatever the bloody hell that even is).  I hope he gets a wild card spot.  Now Prince Poppycock must get through next week or I will be very sad.  I don't think he's an act that the "super fans" would put through, so the only way I see him making it is as a GB.  So far, my favorite thing has been the truly awful Hadwin losing again, though I wouldn't put it past Simon to bring her back with a wild card so he can try even harder to shove her down our throats. Please...why??

• Love 6
16 hours ago, helenamonster said:

She's also got great comedic chops so maybe she'll consider acting/comedy as well?

I wonder if eventually she might consider auditioning for SNL? (Assuming the show stays on the air that long) I am just thinking about Melissa Villasenor and how she was on AGT and parlayed that into being on SNL. Then again, I guess doing impressions is a skill that translates more to SNL than ventriloquism, but you never know. Her talent for voices and singing might suit her well. 

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

I wonder if eventually she might consider auditioning for SNL? (Assuming the show stays on the air that long) I am just thinking about Melissa Villasenor and how she was on AGT and parlayed that into being on SNL. Then again, I guess doing impressions is a skill that translates more to SNL than ventriloquism, but you never know. Her talent for voices and singing might suit her well. 

Hopefully Darci Lynne will be smart enough to stay away from the shitshow that is SNL.  JMHO.

• Love 2
On 1/13/2019 at 1:58 PM, helenamonster said:

Who hit their wife?

On 1/14/2019 at 7:01 PM, anthonyd46 said:

Terry just announced on twitter there will be Wild cards.

I was thinking about that. I thought that is maybe why they had the top 3 every week. I bet they will pull some wild cards from there.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:34 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I was soooo relieved that the Golden Buzzer did not go to Courtney "Joplin."  The buzzer choice was weak, but not THAT weak.

I'd bet anything I own and that YOU own that first timer (to Ameriker) Christina would never in a million years outvote Darci amongst Americans.  I took her as a female Poppycock.  (Speaking of which, It appears my Prince returns next week!)  Talented, but unlikable to a significant portion of the audience.  Darci is a forever AGT Goddess.  

Piff and Darci's appearances had the feel of a victory tour.  They get some free exposure and AGT fills the show with fan favorites.  I was fine with it.  Glad to see each of them.

Viktor was his customary amazing self.  I'd have given him one of the two slots.

Who is this Prince Poppycock guy? I wasn't watching the season he was on?

On 1/15/2019 at 1:32 AM, CrystalBlue said:

The Superfans, whoever they may be, still got Courtney Hadwin to the top three.  Thankfully she didn't win.  I was impressed only because in the end it was revealed that her song was an original, which made me feel better that I hadn't missed something because, like Howie said, I'd not heard that song.  It's hard to see Darci Lynne get cut out of this Champions go-through.  She was amazing tonight and she's really blossoming into quite a lovely young lady.  I only started watching AGT in 2017, so I missed a lot of these acts and am happy to be introduced to them now.  I love, love, love Piff the Magic Dragon and Mr. Piffles!  I really loved the other dog act too. Ashleigh and Sully (RIP to Pudsey).  Cristina Ramos was winner material, just for her outfit alone.  I thought the Golden Buzzer going to the Deadly Games couple was fair, as that was a very dangerous act and was beautifully presented.

I thought this week's group overall wasn't that great. I thought Darci and Cristina were good picks but I don't like Courtney. She's a one trick pony. 

On 1/15/2019 at 1:32 AM, CrystalBlue said:

Out of the acts that performed that week, Deadly Games was the best choice for the Golden Buzzer. I like that Heidi didn't act too early either.

• Love 2
On 1/15/2019 at 2:07 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Cristina blew away every other singer who's ever appeared on the show. Didn't hate the Golden Buzzer but I wish Piff had gone through. Mr. Piffles is still freakin' adorable.

I didn't see Piff the Magic Dragon the first time around. I assume his act is humorous magic?

On 1/15/2019 at 2:26 AM, silverspoons said:

It appeared from what they said in this week's show, that the superfans were selected and were in the audience, but I may have heard wrong. Can anyone confirm if that is right or wrong?

On 1/15/2019 at 3:43 AM, anthonyd46 said:

It was like Sep 28 to October 17th. Darci was a bit screwed by going on first. I can't see anyone that is first get the golden buzzer it would ruin it for the rest of the acts.

Yeah Darci was screwed by being first, but if its true they are doing wild cards, she could still be picked if they consider them from the top 3.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:49 AM, anthonyd46 said:

Thing annoying me also Simon saying whoever wins is best of the best etc. Terry Fator is probably the most successful winner from the American version and if he isn't in this competition I am not sure how anyone can call themselves the best, but ok. Mat Franco and Grace not being in either also weaken the title a bit.

I figured Taylor and Courtney being on this show from months ago when it was announced. That picture of Taylor and Heidi in bed now looks even more awkward since she is engaged and back then when it was taped she wasn't, but viewers are supposed to think this is live I guess she "forgot" her engagement ring. 

I feel like they don't have the best of the best because for some reason, some of the best like Terry Fator couldn't or declined participating.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, Sarahsmile416 said:

Well if Prince does not go through next week, I may be done.  His was the second season I watched and he ruined it for me for everyone after that. Nobody could match up to him for me. 

That Courtney girl was horrible. I didnt see that season, obviously, but I did not understand the tongue bath she got from Simon.

I saw her season and she's a one trick pony. It was pretty cool to see her perform like that but after the first time it got pretty old and then it was painfully apparent how bad she was. I didn't see the season with Prince. I'm looking him up after this.

• Love 4
On 1/15/2019 at 1:42 PM, Lunula said:

Yes, they should announce the Golden Buzzer pick at the end after watching all the acts.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:48 PM, giaNtsandYankees said:

It was good to see Viktor again. I did miss his colourful makeup and costumes, because it added the fantasy element to his juggling performances. But his act last night was beautiful and serene to watch. I was almost worried that he would do similar movements to his acts on Season 11, but he changed it up. On a side note, I'm glad Heidi did not come up with her double entendre jokes regarding Viktor's balls. I'm kind of bummed that he didn't make it through. 

I can understand the judge's comments of DDF's performance. I will say that their routine was fun, they had a great energy about them, and I was a tad out of breath watching them (and I do 40 minutes of cardio on the daily!), what they've done probably wouldn't get past AGT's Judge Cuts, because they've seen acts such as that before. I can understand that they won Holland's (? correct me on the country if I wrong) Got Talent. They said so themselves, they saw visiting Americans doing the routine, so they took it and won GT with it because it was something new.

This is probably why Darcy didn't get through. I enjoy her (and many have since she was in the top 2). America has seen her win, and it was recent, even though it was a little over a year ago. The "superfans" did not see Cristina on Spain's Got Talent. I could be wrong with my observations. 

I wonder how much of Courtney's segment was producer pushed. Her walking out - the  cheers and the standing ovation as she's walking out. The judges giving her a tongue bath. People walking past the judge's table prior to Courtney beginning to perform (at first I wondered if she had an entourage or something). The people that walked past the judge's table front in center right in front of the stage like a mosh pit without the moshing. It just seemed to be a lot of pushing or pimping for Miss "Screaming" Courtney Hadwin. As I said on Season 13's board, she has potential. She just needs to learn control so she can be a little more understandable, and so her screams and sound more like actual high notes, and not screams. 

Watching Courtney and seeing Simon praise her immediately made me think of Michael Ketterer, and also made me glad that he was not on Champions. I guess if it were never revealed that he had a few dents in his halo, Simon may have pushed for him to be on. With a few Garth Brooks-written songs in tow for him to sing.

I was expecting for Heidi to give her Golden Buzzer to a singer based on her track record. I was pleasantly surprised that she had given it to Deadly Games. Even though we have two singers in the finals, it is evened out by two variety acts (Preacher Lawson and Deadly Games). 

That's all I have based on what I can remember from last night. On to next week! 

I think Darci didn't go through because she won already. I may be wron gthough.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:48 PM, giaNtsandYankees said:

I thought Viktor improved a lot since his last appearance. He should have at least made it to the top 3, especially over Courtney.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:24 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

It would be the shock of my watching TV for several decades if this show, including ALL results, were not completely scripted.

The acts may not have been let in on this being true, but they'd have to be utterly naive to not understand some acts are more equal than others to SYCO.

I found Christina to be shrill in several parts of her presentation last evening.  In studio, that would have been fixed.  She certainly has a big voice.  She's still very unpolished.

Cristina was awful in the pop rock parts but great in the opera parts. She would have to be trained how to use her voice to sing that type of music. She's trained I guess and better suited to opera and that type of music.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, lynxfx said:

Darci Lynne, Singing Ventriloquist - I think she is very talented but just not for me. The locked teeth smiling that ventriloquists do always distracts me and takes me out of their act. I expect she will have plenty of success. I read that she might stop doing the ventriloquism and focus on singing.

Courtney Hadwin, Singer - She is the most manufactured act on this show. A complete fraud in my opinion. Dozens of shows and live performances and STILL does the "oh I'm so shy and nervous" routine? Sorry, not buying it. Despite the producers forcing her as the front runner on AGT, the american audience cast her out in 6th place. And again last night, I was so glad she was 3rd (would have preferred not even in the top 3). Add in the cringe for that "impromptu" mosh pit. 

Deadly Games, Knife Thrower Duo - Wow. Just wow. Normally there isn't much more you can do with knife throwing tricks and anyone that watches these shows has probably seen them all. They brought out something I have never seen before. That spinning thin box. Then to go on the outside AND the inside of it. Literally no margin for error, well done. Then the modern twist on the firing with a mirror. Using a phone's selfie camera which is harder since the camera actually distorts what you are looking at. It isn't 1:1 like a mirror is. So glad they got the golden buzzer.

Cristina Ramos, Singer - Ok this one seems to be controversial. When she started I didn't like it. Good opera, but was kinda boring. Then she pulled a Fifth Element on us and went full on Fhloston Paradise which made me laugh and like her. Not the best Bohemian Rhapsody remix but entertaining and surprising. So with what we were given of the top 3, I'm glad she won.

Piff the Magic Dragon, Comedy Magician - Always like Piff. Sometimes his stuff can't get a little drab and "kid's show" level but he was dialed in last night. Great banter, entertaining act, and I'm glad he got in his plug for his show in Vegas. My wife pretty much dismissed him because she thinks she saw how he did it and basically ignored everything else that was going on. His act isn't his magic, it is him...and Piffles.

Light Balance, Light-Up Dance Crew - Cool to see them again, but didn't see anything really outstanding. 

Taylor Williamson, Stand-up Comedian - Liked him before, still like him. That Cosby joke, edgy for this show and loved it. Liked him better than Preacher only because Preacher wears me out with the constant yelling. They both are good comedians though.

Ashleigh & Sully, Dog Act - She is one hell of a dog trainer. Just watching her commands and how focussed the dog was is pretty amazing. Cute act overall.

DDF Crew, Jump Roper Dance Crew - Good at what they do, a nice filler act, what can I say? Totally a dick move by Howie to say he has seen better. This isn't the regular show Howie. They were invited to compete. No other jump rope crew was invited or at least came. Why don't you say that to any of the singers? Surely you have heard better than Courtney.

Viktor Kee, Juggler - So weird to see him without his makeup during the interviews. Looks like a completely different guy. Love his act, love his personality. He really benefited from the new stage this year. The video panels on the floor allowed him to fully take advantage of his graphics element. 

I've come to the conclusion that Howie really has no idea what else to say anymore. After every act he brings up only 2 acts going through, fifty states, only 2 acts etc etc. It is like he is stuck in a loop from the old Live shows. This is all pretaped and even in the moment was out of anyone's control. There is no vote. There is no urgency. Just wasted air time. The super fans is pretty much a farse as are those stats they show.

And of course, the golden buzzer is pointless. I also don't believe for a minute that this is the order that the acts performed in. Maybe someone that went to the taping can chime in? 

I always wondered why Howie was keeping on repeating that. Did he not want to give opinions to be biased? I thought that was what they were supposed to do and America is not voting (yet??) anyhow.

23 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I like Viktor but not crazy about Taylor. I didn't think he was all that funny. His off the cuff stuff was funnier than his prepared stuff.

15 hours ago, Mswldflwr said:

I'm thrilled to see Paul Potts will be performing.  I was kind of hoping Cas Haley would be around, but apparently not.  And of course, I'm extremely disappointed of no Terry Fator.  

I love Terry Fator. We just saw him live. He was amazing!

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:34 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Echoing what many have already posted, this whole "Super Fans" thing is a total farce, and they must think we're idiots to believe there are actual people voting and that it's not all determined by the producers. Courtney Hadwin making final three was clearly the producers trying to justify all their hype around her, that was rejected by the viewers. But yeah, thank God she didn't get another Golden Buzzer.

I hate the idea of a Golden Buzzer when only two acts are going through. I was not a fan of Dangerous Games the first time, and this act didn't change my opinion. About the best thing I can say about the act is that the woman is gorgeous and sexy, but that's not enough. If there had to be a Golden Buzzer, I wish it had gone to Darcy Lynn, one of the most popular AGT acts ever.

I'm sure that Piff couldn't give care less about not going through. He's got his Vegas show, and I think he just came on "Champions" as a way to show his gratitude to AGT for giving him his career. Darci Lynn, on the other hand, I think really wanted to win this thing, and she's probably kicking herself for being part of this farce. I agree that there's no way that Christina would've gotten more votes if this was legitimate. To me, no AGT winner should've signed up for this farce and had there legacy tainted.

Since this whole thing is fixed, I'm guessing they wanted one "international AGT" act to make the finals, and Christina was the chosen one. She starts out singing in a slow operatic style, then throws open her robe and rocks out. What a surprise. Like we haven't seen that a hundred times before. Yeah, she can sing, but her version of an iconic song had no emotion behind it. It was all flash and no substance. Not impressed.

That Dutch hip hop jump roping act was at least better than the Australian boy band, but that's not saying much.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

So I had actually seen Cristina Ramos' audition for the Spanish version of this show, Got Talent España. Not that I watch that show, (or even this one more than occasionally) but somehow came across her audition video (she starts singing around the 43 second mark). So she started off with "Les oiseaux dans la charmille" and moved on to Highway to hell. I was much more impressed with that video than with her AGT audition. First, the first time was an impressive novelty act, because I hadn't seen that combination before. So when I saw that she was going to perform here, I had high expectations for her. Those expectations soon fizzled because she was entirely way too shrill and I could barely make out what she was singing. Maybe she was nervous, but I was no longer impressed.

• Love 2
On 1/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, Sarahsmile416 said:

I wouldnt mind seeing Prince Poppycock make it to finals as long as his season castmate the Amazing Jackie Evancho makes it as well!

• Love 1

Did you guys know that only 2 can go through every week? And that the FIFTY STATES are voting? Whatever that even means.

If this is all Howie is going to contribute this season, can we just get rid of him until the regular summer season starts up? Or just play a voice recording of Howie saying it instead of paying him to actually sit on the judging panel and repeat the same thing after every act?

• Love 4
On 1/16/2019 at 4:04 PM, bluepiano said:

Since this whole thing is fixed, I'm guessing they wanted one "international AGT" act to make the finals, and Christina was the chosen one. She starts out singing in a slow operatic style, then throws open her robe and rocks out. What a surprise. Like we haven't seen that a hundred times before. Yeah, she can sing, but her version of an iconic song had no emotion behind it. It was all flash and no substance. Not impressed.

Susan Boyle isn't an international act?

I will agree that Cristina Ramos wasn't as good on AGT as she was on her Spain's Got Talent audition. She seemed to have less time on AGT than she did on Spain's Got Talent and choosing a long song like Bohemian Rhapsody meant she really had to chop it up to make it fit. She probably would have been better off duplicating her Spain's Got Talent audition. Most people haven't seen it. Perhaps "superfans" have. 

• Love 2