Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E09: Shelter From the Storm

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Biggie B said:

She has OCD or something similar - this was the story line of hers a while ago, how it was affecting her personally and professionally, and while she was eventually able to get it to a manageable point, apparently it's now reasserting itself. I'm certainly not remembering all the specific details, but I'm sure someone else can fill in the blanks.

Her heart attack seem to move her back to those OCD problems. They established that her OCD was part of her for years growing up and when she focused on work or her talents, it went away. Even going as far that her mother had these problems too growing up. It started after several patients ended up dying on her watch and she threw herself into research trying to have people live and that lead to the "inject non-lethal aids virus into a kid with new immunity." Who could magically escape from a lock outside isolation room. It was the kid being magically cured and not having any issues that lead her to be cured again. However, when Ben became a fire fighter and more likely he could get himself killed on a regular basis (because you will live so long at the hospital) she stressed herself out like her mother and had a heart attack. Then apparently her near death experience made her snap out of it and realized life is too short and you have to do what makes you happy and let Ben continue. Then of course, the entire first season finale of Station 19 happened and Bailey once again started losing it, blood pressure going high again, not able to control her emotions. So her solution? Tell Ben to move out until she can go back to normal, which made ZERO sense! So much, that before the winter break, Richard called Bailey on her crap and even said: "You think that not having your husband around is going to magically make yourself better? When he has been the best thing to happen to you after your ex-husband left you? Or that you go back to not having any issues at all?" "You needed his help, not kick him out." And we are now where we are with Miranda Bailey. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, sadie said:

As hot as Deluca is and as much as I like Mer, she is simply too old for this to be believable (I’ll duck while people throw things at me). There were a few times in the elevator where they were side by side and the age difference was just glaring. I want Meredith with a grown up, even ortho doc would be more believable. 

It's odd because Meredith and Derek actually had a larger age gap; she was mid twenties while he was late 30s. But the difference between that age difference and this age difference is the experience that Meredith has had now compared to then (same with Derek when he started dating Meredith). We've also grown to know Meredith for 15 seasons and the Meredith we know does need someone closer to her age and who can understand the trauma she's gone through. Having Deluca have a famous surgeon father was blatantly written for the two to have something in common, I'm pretty sure. Also, the fact that Deluca's been with Maggie, and then was interested in Jo, and then was in love with his DACA Dancer chick literally a few episodes before he first kissed Meredith, and now is head over heels with Meredith. I get that they don't seem to know what to do with him, and I would be fine if this was just a short term fling for Meredith, but I don't see it being her endgame guy. I see Meredith either ending up single by the end of the series or with a guy with far more life experience and maturity. 

It's not that Meredith can't be dating younger guys for me. It's that I don't feel like Deluca is mature enough for a relationship with Meredith where they'd get married and he'd help raise her kids. The relationship would be fine as a fun thing for Meredith, as I think she deserves a fun relationship with no strings attached. 

4 hours ago, sadie said:

What they’ve done to Baileys character is a crime. It’s just silly this whole nonsense with Ben. Thousands of people are married to people in dangerous jobs and her silly reactions to things like him not immediately answering a text during, you know, a freaking emergency just makes her look stupid. Please writers fix this and bring back tough as nails got it all together Bailey, she was much more enjoyable to watch then. 

I agree. I get that they're trying to put emphasis on Bailey's mental illness and all that, but it's failing to capture my interest. In fact, it's making me quite irritated at her. Now, I never really liked her and Ben together, and Ben's been flip flopping on careers since he first showed up. But Bailey's freaking out over Ben with his new job just makes her look ridiculous. She loves him, I get that, and she can't handle his job. Well, that is certainly a predicament because at this rate, it doesn't seem like she'll ever get to have both Ben and a stress free life. She's been freaking out all season over him so far! She's simply not enjoyable to watch when she's having panic attacks every episode. Again, it's an interesting story to tell but the writers are failing at making me empathetic. 

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's odd because Meredith and Derek actually had a larger age gap; she was mid twenties while he was late 30s.

I'd actually say this isn't entirely correct as Meredith was more late twenties, both she and Cristina took detours before getting to medical school and were older than the rest of the other interns who were in their mid-twenties. So the Meredith/Derek age gap was more like a decade at the most. 

But it's also definitely a maturity thing, as Derek had no kids and was pretty much having a midlife crisis when he and Meredith met.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I'd actually say this isn't entirely correct as Meredith was more late twenties, both she and Cristina took detours before getting to medical school and were older than the rest of the other interns who were in their mid-twenties. So the Meredith/Derek age gap was more like a decade at the most. 

But it's also definitely a maturity thing, as Derek had no kids and was pretty much having a midlife crisis when he and Meredith met.

According to Wikipedia, Meredith was born in 1978. I think she was initially supposed to be early thirties at the beginning, but it got changed at some point (it's now canon that she was five when Maggie was born and Maggie is mid thirties now). 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's not that Meredith can't be dating younger guys for me. It's that I don't feel like Deluca is mature enough for a relationship with Meredith where they'd get married and he'd help raise her kids. The relationship would be fine as a fun thing for Meredith, as I think she deserves a fun relationship with no strings attached. 

I rather Meredith have a fun fling with Tom Koracick because he is actually fun and they have the type of genuine chemistry that exists without the manufactured stunts being thrown around to make Meredith and Andrew happen. Andrew is boring, as evidence of him being on the show for over three seasons and the only thing they can think to do with him now is mold him into being Meredith's tailor-made mate.  

• Love 14

The problem is that the show wants Meredith to have a love life rather than  sex life like a fling with Koracick. This creates bad situations like the triangle with Nathan and now with Linc and DeLuca. Since they wrote Mer-Der as the ultimate couple, it doesn't work for me at all.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

But the difference between that age difference and this age difference is the experience that Meredith has had now compared to then (same with Derek when he started dating Meredith).

I understand the point but does Meredith really need an equal partner right now?  She's been dreaming of sex, not old age cuddling by the fireside.   She's got a complicated life with  surgery and her research and her three children.  Right now, I think all she's looking for is an entertaining companion who's also good in bed rather than a life mate.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 8

According to the Grey's Anatomy wiki (so take it all with a grain of salt), Meredith was born in 1978 and Derek was born in 1966 which is a 12 year difference. For the record, the same wiki also says that Mark was born in 1968 and Lexie was born in 1984 which is a 16 year difference.

I don't necessarily think that Meredith sees Deluca or Linc as marriage material. She knows she is ready to start dating again, but just dating as in fun and companionship and sex, not future stepfather for the kids or even a serious relationship that is going to take up a lot of her free time. I don't have an issue with her dating (or even marrying) someone who is older/younger because whatever (somehow it's totally fine when men date women who are over a decade younger but there's some weird social stigma about women being older) but at this point it doesn't seem like Meredith is looking for something super serious or long term.

• Love 3

The problem I have with this show, and most other hospital dramas, is that  I don't want to see or hear about their sex lives.  I don't mind seeing them out on a dinner date, a quick kiss hello/goodbye, but the writers seem to think that seeing them humping and pawing each other in hospital janitor closets, elevators, or other rooms, makes for exciting tv.  It is such a tired trope.     

I also realize that it's easier, more convenient for the staff to hump....errrr......"date" each other, but it would be nice to see them having a relationship with someone outside of the hospital.  

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

The problem I have with this show, and most other hospital dramas, is that  I don't want to see or hear about their sex lives.  I don't mind seeing them out on a dinner date, a quick kiss hello/goodbye, but the writers seem to think that seeing them humping and pawing each other in hospital janitor closets, elevators, or other rooms, makes for exciting tv.  It is such a tired trope.     

I am much more interested in what goes on in a relationship outside the bedroom than seeing the pawing. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, hookedontv said:

These doctors are glued to their phone 24/7. Not one doc in the elevators made a call! Didn’t whip out their phone? I just made a call from my work elevator the other day. Dumb writing. 

They did show at least one elevator group trying to make phone calls and not being able to. I think Meredith and Deluca. So I guess we should assume all of them at least tried, except maybe the panicking Bailey and that intern. They didn't show them using that emergency call button you see in most elevators though.

10 hours ago, Ohwell said:

If this show just has to have hospital hookups, I'd rather see DeLuca with Nurse Amy Schumer than with Meredith.  Meredith looks just too world- weary for a younger man.  

Isn't Intern Amy Schumer (I think you mean the intern) gay? And she has a crush on Meredith?  She probably won't get much of a love story, since I think all the females on the show right now are straight.

But I agree Meredith and Deluca don't seem like a good fit. Plus he dated her sister.  They've already given Maggie and Meredith a shared love interest, we don't need to do that again.

• Love 6

So, not only did Meredith break HIPPA by telling Maggie about Catherine, which was then compounded by Maggie telling Jackson...  Jackson then went into his mother's medical files without her permission and reviewed all of her scans with Maggie, who is not one of her doctors. 

I don't care all that much about sex in the ambulances or in the on-call rooms, but the complete lack of respect of patient privacy makes me want them all fired. 

edited to fix: wandering italics.

Edited by Infie
  • Love 18

The lack of ethics of the doctors in this series has always bothered me. But what upsets me most is that the show embraces it. The writers seem to believe being unethical and unprofessional is not only forgivable,  but commendable. We're supposed to think Mer did a good thing telling Maggie! And Maggie was right to tell Jackson! And Jackson was right to tell Richard! And it was ok for Owen to discuss the baby situation with Teddy right in front of Amelia! And it was Ok for Alex to beat Andrew to a pulp! And for Izzie to cut that line. The list could go on forever...

It seems like a minor detail, but the elevators in this episode didn't look like elevators at all. It took me completely out of the scenes.

Edited by maddie965
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Isn't Intern Amy Schumer (I think you mean the intern) gay? And she has a crush on Meredith?  She probably won't get much of a love story, since I think all the females on the show right now are straight.

That's right, I forgot she had a crush on Meredith.  It seems like everyone, male or female, has a crush on Meredith.  *rolls eyes*

• Love 5

It's been four days and I didn't even realize the show was back. Started watching it and was so tempted to just switch it off  only a few minutes in. Everyone was being so unprofessional and downride rude. What happened to all the compelling characters this show had, once upon a time? Also, I couldn't remember more than half what happened. Kept it on as background noise because I was fixing my kitten's damaged toy mice and wanted a bit of distraction but it was just such a snore fest. Everyone was annoying! I'm definitely done.

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:12 AM, Ohwell said:

That's right, I forgot she had a crush on Meredith.  It seems like everyone, male or female, has a crush on Meredith.  *rolls eyes*

I share the eyeroll.  I don't get this.  Meredith is a fine looking woman, sure.  And she's smart, and seems to be a genuinely good person.   But COME ON!   All these  handsome, I'm pretty sure younger, DOCTORS, are going to go after a widow with kids instead of, I don't know,  any other woman who works in the hospital?  Or, maybe someone who DOESN'T work there?  

She's like the Bachelorette doctor, where  the show is telling the story that everyone in vying for her attention only because she's the only woman around.  

• Love 11

Well, I finally got around to watching this episode, and the fact that it took me this long probably isn't a good sign.

I definitely miss the old Bailey-I don't like what they've done with her character.

As far as Meredith and DeLuca are concerned, I do think they have some chemistry and might be a fun fling, but long-term I would rather see her with Koracik.

I couldn't care less about Linc, Hoag, Glasses, or Helmouth. They can leave any time now.

Maggie still annoys me. It wasn't her place to tell Jackson about Katherine's tumor. She's another one that I would be happy to see the last of.

I want more Alex! I'm not quite sure why, because he has done some deplorable things in the past, but he has become one of my favorite characters on this show.

I also, for the most part, like Richard.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, marykat71702 said:

Maggie still annoys me.

I started out neutral on Maggie when she first arrived.  I was hoping that she and Richard would develop more of a relationship, and there have been one or two good scenes of them together.  But they haven't focused much on that, so I've grown to be annoyed by her often.  She shouldn't have told Jackson, and Jackson shouldn't have told Richard.  Catherine had to have guessed everyone would find out about her illness.  I hope she had told Richard herself already.

• Love 7
On 1/19/2019 at 12:20 PM, Lady Calypso said:

It's odd because Meredith and Derek actually had a larger age gap; she was mid twenties while he was late 30s. the end of the series or with a guy with far more life experience and maturity.

Lexie was at least 6 years younger than Meredith (since Meredith was 5 when Ellis left Thatcher). In season 7, Lexie's 3rd year of residency, Lexie said she was 27. Which makes Meredith at least 33 in her 4th year of residency. So she had to be at youngest 29 when she began her internship and relationship with Derek. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, bounnatalie said:

did anyone notice the weird hand/gloves during the surgery. They looked stuffed!

Yes!!! The first shot I thought someone put a fake dead hand in the body cavity! Second shot I realized it was supposed to be a gloved hand but seemed like a bad prop!!!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

I want more Alex! I'm not quite sure why, because he has done some deplorable things in the past, but he has become one of my favorite characters on this show.

Probably because he's pretty much still the same person as from the beginning of the show. He's had some growth and development and alternated that with regression. Everybody else pretty much had a personality transplant. If they even had a personality to begin with.

Edited by Efzee
  • Love 5
On 1/19/2019 at 1:01 PM, Lady Calypso said:

According to Wikipedia, Meredith was born in 1978. I think she was initially supposed to be early thirties at the beginning, but it got changed at some point (it's now canon that she was five when Maggie was born and Maggie is mid thirties now). 

I’ve said this before, Meredith has always looked way older than her character is supposed to be.  As someone else mentioned, she looks world-weary. I think She looks mid to late 40s. Deluca looks mid to late 20s. I don’t get the attraction between those two at all. She should be more of a mentor/mother type with him. In general I’m getting tired of the constant hook ups on this show. It’s just silly after all these years. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

She looks mid to late 40s. Deluca looks mid to late 20s. I don’t get the attraction between those two at all.

Sex. That's the attraction. And fun. As long as both parties are mature enough for a hook-up, why not go for it?

Many men like Jeff Goldblum are married to women 30 years younger or more. I don't see why Meredith shouldn't have a fling with Deluca.

• Love 1
On 1/17/2019 at 9:52 PM, chitowngirl said:

Grey’s has started from the beginning on Lifetime a few weeks ago-where’s that Bailey?!!

AMEN!! She was turned into a sniveling wimp some seasons back, and never recovered. At this rate, they're going to find her under a gurney sucking her thumb by season's end.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Sex. That's the attraction. And fun. As long as both parties are mature enough for a hook-up, why not go for it?

Many men like Jeff Goldblum are married to women 30 years younger or more. I don't see why Meredith shouldn't have a fling with Deluca.

I would agree with this, except the show has everyone falling for Meredith as though she is, er, the sun.  Everyone.  So, it strikes a false note.  Also, because we do know that lots of older men fall for younger women, and lots of younger men also fall for young women, it is mind-boggling that everyone falls for Meredith as though there are no other women anywhere.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, izabella said:

I would agree with this, except the show has everyone falling for Meredith as though she is, er, the sun.  Everyone.  So, it strikes a false note.  Also, because we do know that lots of older men fall for younger women, and lots of younger men also fall for young women, it is mind-boggling that everyone falls for Meredith as though there are no other women anywhere.

Exactly! In the real world maybe you can be 50 and attract a 28 year old...but Meredith attracts all of them at some point or another. And let’s not pretend it’s because of her winning personality either. 

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, izabella said:

Exactly my point.  these are doctors in a hospital where tons of women work.  Women who are intelligent, beautiful, and aren't saddled with three kids.  I"m not saying that Meredith is awful, and nobody would like her, just that I don't see her as being someone that all the young doctors are falling all over each other to date. 

• Love 8
On 1/19/2019 at 12:20 PM, Lady Calypso said:

It's odd because Meredith and Derek actually had a larger age gap; she was mid twenties while he was late 30s. But the difference between that age difference and this age difference is the experience that Meredith has had now compared to then (same with Derek when he started dating Meredith). We've also grown to know Meredith for 15 seasons and the Meredith we know does need someone closer to her age and who can understand the trauma she's gone through. Having Deluca have a famous surgeon father was blatantly written for the two to have something in common, I'm pretty sure. Also, the fact that Deluca's been with Maggie, and then was interested in Jo, and then was in love with his DACA Dancer chick literally a few episodes before he first kissed Meredith, and now is head over heels with Meredith. I get that they don't seem to know what to do with him, and I would be fine if this was just a short term fling for Meredith, but I don't see it being her endgame guy. I see Meredith either ending up single by the end of the series or with a guy with far more life experience and maturity. 

I am not a regular viewer because I think this show is one of the worst-but-popular shows on TV, and almost all of the characters are very unlikable. I did watch this episode and I disagree that DeLuca is immature for Meredith. Meredith is not very mature either. The characters of this show are particularly immature, imo, about romantic relationships. I don't remember many instances of the characters having an adult conversation about their relationship, or about sex. I mean, for years we had to endure the sex-with-unlock-doors-as-everyone-else-walks-in. And a lot of the characters also slept with each other. It is as if the only people in the world for them to "hook up" are in that hospital.

What would be nice to see, would be grown up and older Meredith having a serious relationship with (much?) younger DeLuca. I have no idea about the ages of the characters, but the actors do look a generation apart. 

I am still trying to understand (not really, I don't really care that much) the appeal of Teddy - character and actress, mostly the actress. I can't stand her (frozen) facial expression, I don't think she is a great actor, and I don't think she is what passes for standard TV beauty. I could NEVER like any character the actress plays. Maybe she is a great person and great actress and I would like her in real life but as far as TV goes, meh.

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:52 PM, chitowngirl said:

Grey’s has started from the beginning on Lifetime a few weeks ago-where’s that Bailey?!!

that's what I miss, the old kick ass Bailey

• Love 4