Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

TVbitch
  • Start Topic

Ally was so pretty. I wonder why she never had a boyfriend!  I believe that is what her mother said. 
She was looking for a southern boy and Brandon was that guy. 

Educated and came from a doctor father he was her choice. 

He wanted to play but she wanted to commit. 

She took an Uber alone to meet up with friends then seemed to be alone again later walking down the street. 

I don’t think we’ve been given the whole story on either of them!

• Love 8

The whole episode left a very sad and pathetic feeling with me. It's always sad when a person is killed but this episode was just so pathetically sad to me. Allie was cleary desperate to get his attention by any means necessary. All the texts and pics of her "belly".  He didn't want her as a girlfriend and killed her because she was telling him she was pregnant. I don't think she was ever pregnant.  Like I said  the episode left me incredibly sad.  

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Ally was so pretty. I wonder why she never had a boyfriend!  I believe that is what her mother said. 
She was looking for a southern boy and Brandon was that guy. 

I wondered if her mother set her goals, and sent her to Ole Miss to find her southern boy.

• Useful 2
(edited)
On 3/8/2022 at 5:44 PM, Ohmo said:

Ally paid with her life, and Brandon is paying with a life sentence

The tragic part of the entire situation was that during the 3 yr interval of time that these two knew each other and it was clear that SHE was much  more invested into the relationship than he was, that she wouldn't have discussed the REALITY of the relationship with her mother and/or close friends.  

Edited by pdlinda
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

The tragic part of the entire situation was that during the 3 yr interval of time that these two knew each other and it was clear that SHE was much invested into the relationship than he was, that she wouldn't have discussed the REALITY of the relationship with her mother and/or close friends.  

I’ve read that each of us have a public side and a private side. I think the relationship problems Ally hid from everybody. 
She was young, beautiful and smart. Him not liking her was something she just couldn’t share. Sad. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I have to admit that I felt a tiny moment of empathy for Brandon's situation.  There is/was the belief that if a guy didn't want to be in the situation of a surprise pregnancy, he should know to use protection ALL THE TIME, and if he didn't, he had to suffer the consequences and not get mad at the woman.  Brandon thinks he's having a fling and suddenly he gets a bombshell from his FWB... you're going to be a father!   Who knows if Ally was pregnant or not... maybe Brandon used protection every time and this "pregnancy" came out of left field and knocked his whole world sideways, with relentless texts and photos. 

This scenario would rock any young man who has goals, and fatherhood was not one of them.  On top of that, if he had mental issues already (and access to a gun), just made him more of a loose cannon.  Again, not victim blaming, but they both were immature and him resorting to murder was outrageous.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, patty1h said:

I have to admit that I felt a tiny moment of empathy for Brandon's situation. 

I can see that.  He did explicitly tell her that he wasn't up for fatherhood.  Her behavior also points to the fact that she could have indeed not been pregnant.  She never talked about raising the baby on her own with her family.  She made that one comment about him not being involved, but all of her other comments were about talking to him, him being part of the situation.  It did seem like she was fixated specifically on him.  Of course, killing her was never the answer, but I can see him being overwhelmed by the fact that she wouldn't back off.  It's also unfortunate that he had such ready access to a gun.  Maybe if the gun weren't so available, the solution that he chose wouldn't have entered his mind.

• Love 8

I almost didn't watch this episode as I thought I had already seen the story on another true crime show. Turns out it was a different young woman but same story where she tried to keep a guy by pretending she was pregnant. It certainly seems more likely than not that Ally never was pregnant. As was also pointed out, Ally never talked about raising a child without the guy, other than to say she was cute and would have no problem finding another boyfriend, 

A sad story all around, but to me really sad that Ally appeared only to be going to university to find a guy to marry. She certainly didn't deserve to lose her life, but I can also see how the guy was freaked out. A waste of two lives.

Did anyone else think that Ally's father looked a lot like William H. Macy? 

• Love 2

I skimmed it, because Dateline just did this one last week. The main differences I could see in my skimming is that Sam was portrayed in this one as a loving brother, whereas on Dateline made it quite clear they did not get along. 48 Hours did a better job showing the depth of Ashley's involvement. And showed us some more of Linley's dry crying on the stand. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I am glad that I am not the only one that found Ally to be unbalanced. He is a doctors son…a southern boy…she wanted to be a trophy wife. I also think she lied about the pregnancy. I am sad that she though so little of herself that she would throw herself at a man who was obviously using her for sex, she was a good time girl to him,that is it.  She exaggerated her drinking to get attention. She was obsessed but he was manipulative and kept stringing her along. 

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 6

Eric Smith: I remember that redheaded demon-spawn from when it happened. Wonder what happened to the fiancée. BTW, why did she ask him about the juvenile justice system? He went through the adult system.

• Love 1

At first, I had misread the preview for the story. I thought it was going to be a story about someone falsely accused and released years later. So I was interested to know from the beginning that wasn’t the case. It was such sad and horrible story. Eric Smith had major problems and you just don’t kill for no reason even though he claimed to have a reason. The little boy Derrick was such a cute kid and to die at that age and in a such brutal way was heart wrenching. In the end, I sort of agreed with the parents when they said it’s almost better not have to deal with the yearly parole hearings and in someway move on. 

• Love 2

I can only wish the parents peace. I don't know the right answers are in this situation, but Eric having kids and counseling kids is maybe not the best idea. He has been in a very controlled, sheltered environment all this time and who knows what will be triggered when he has to deal with all the frustrations of life again. He is going to face more rejection wherever he goes because of this crime.  

It just gave me chills to hear him say, so calmly... "When I tortured and killed Derek..."  

• Love 6
20 hours ago, TVbitch said:

It just gave me chills to hear him say, so calmly... "When I tortured and killed Derek..."  

That's my issue is that he not only killed him but he tortured him and really took  his time with it.  It would be one thing if he just snapped and through a rock and then left but nope he did all that horrible stuff. I think he targeted Derrick because Derrick was all the things he wasn't and he wanted to make him suffer for that.  I'm sorry I know that prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation but I just don't see someone that can do that as being capable of rehabilitation.

Does anyone know if Eric is on the registered sex offenders list?  I would think with what he did to Derrick he should be.   I also have no friggin idea what is wrong with these woman that want to marry convicted killers.   Would you let your child anywhere near him?  

This was such a sad and disturbing issue.  I feel so bad for Derrick's parents.  

• Love 4

I hope that he never tries to talk to them about the case or seek their forgiveness. I think that Eric is a monster and fully deserved to stay in prison. And if he would not have been caught he would have grown up to become a serial killer. Derrick was such a cute and seemed like such a sweet little boy. I hope his brother grew up and brings his parents nothing but happiness.

• Love 4
(edited)

Tushar Atre. Not surprised they caught the killers fairly quickly. None of them seemed to be criminal masterminds. The video was really difficult to watch. Did no one hear him screaming in the street? How awful. Not to speak ill of the dead but Tushar was….not a good person. If he came across this badly on 48 hours I could only imagine what he was really like as an employer. He also seems quite satisfied to use his GF for business sense and $ considering she is now suing his estate.

• Love 6

Tushar Atre: Interesting episode. I thought the kidnappers/killers were going to be these 30, 40 or 50 year old mercenary’s and they turned out to be a bunch of stupid 20 year olds. I think they did this because 2 of them had been embarrassed and shafted by Atre but didn’t expect their plan to go so awry. I was really amazed that not one car, person or porch light went on during this whole exchange in the middle of the street. It either had to be one of the most quietest kidnappings ever or no one wanted to get involved. I can see why the girlfriend wants some $$$$. I’m sure there’s a lot of it if he had $80,000 in cash in house alone. 

• Love 6

Maybe they threatened the employee and told them not to call the cops or something. I'm sure the employee was terrified and in shock if they were there while Atre was being kidnapped by three guys with a huge gun. 

One of the guys said Atre was bound and gagged at some point in the house, so he probably was not screaming in the street. 

WTF were these young men thinking?! ...I know, futile question. 

WTF was the victim thinking inviting strangers to his house to show off his wealth?! Seems like he was a bit of a narcissist. And yeah, there is just never a need in business to humiliate employees or treat them like crap. You never know when that shit will come back to bite you. 

• Love 5

One of problems with the marijuana business is that you can’t really keep your money in banks because pot is still illegal on a federal level. If someone knows you are making money at one of these businesses it’s not hard to imagine there is money in a safe somewhere. I’m surprised this guy didn’t have better security. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I missed the part dealing with Atre humiliating those guys. What happened and why? 

They mentioned that he refused to pay them even though they worked almost 24/7 on the farm because they made one mistake.  When they demanded payment he made them do hundreds of pushups first then paid them. It is pretty common to hire questionable people to work on the farm then refuse payment or simply pay 'room and board'. Many people get taken advantage of or disappear on these farms (I saw a documentary about this). I found a few articles about the guy that were not that flattering, real shady piece of work.  A lot of it didn't make sense.  Why get into an illegal market when he was such a tech guru?  If he was so wealthy why was his GF investing so much money.  Something  stinks.

As others mentioned, why didn't anyone that lived on that street hear his cries and call 911? Why did the people in the house wait so long? Were they hiding evidence of illegal activity before getting police involved?  Why did these kids execute him so brutally?  I just feel like there is more to the story than humiliation and money.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

One of problems with the marijuana business is that you can’t really keep your money in banks because pot is still illegal on a federal level. If someone knows you are making money at one of these businesses it’s not hard to imagine there is money in a safe somewhere. I’m surprised this guy didn’t have better security. 

I live in the area where Arte’s body was found. Remember when it happened.  Things like this just don’t happen in the area.  Pot farms are pretty common.   Santa Cruz has many pot dispensaries.  They are not cash businesses.  Pot doesn’t have the stigma in our area as in the rest of the USA.  

It’s not common for those with the wealth of Arte to have that type of cash in the house.   And it was probably a drop in the bucket for him.  The fact he gave a tour of his home and showed this killers the safe and told them the contents just demonstrates how arrogant and narcissistic he was. I know many that keeps that type of cash in their homes and would NEVER share that information with two young employees.  

Clearly, this crime had nothing to do with money.   They were our for revenge. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

One hates to say that a victim had it coming, but this Arte guy wound up learning the hard way that humiliating employees and then further treating them badly by not paying them didn't turn out well for him in the end.   

I agree with sainte-chapelle above in that something stank in Arte Land.  Either he didn't have all the money that he appeared to be hiving high on the hog on or he was just the type of asshole who got off on treating people badly and using people.   He certainly didn't seem to make any provisions for his girlfriend/business partner, so what does that even say about him?   I wouldn't have been surprised to learn that he had hidden any financial contributions that she made to the business so in case of a breakup, she wouldn't get a dime, including any money she had invested in the business.  He just seems like the type of guy who would do that.   Good luck to her in fighting his estate (whoever they may be) to recover any money.  And if she had been an astute business person, she would have had a contract or something drawn up showing her investment and what her place in the business was.  

• Love 6
(edited)
On 4/4/2022 at 11:44 AM, LGGirl said:

I live in the area where Arte’s body was found. Remember when it happened.  Things like this just don’t happen in the area.  Pot farms are pretty common.   Santa Cruz has many pot dispensaries.  They are not cash businesses.  Pot doesn’t have the stigma in our area as in the rest of the USA.  

It’s not common for those with the wealth of Arte to have that type of cash in the house.   And it was probably a drop in the bucket for him.  The fact he gave a tour of his home and showed this killers the safe and told them the contents just demonstrates how arrogant and narcissistic he was. I know many that keeps that type of cash in their homes and would NEVER share that information with two young employees.  

Clearly, this crime had nothing to do with money.   They were our for revenge. 

That is very interesting!  I watched "Murder Mountain" and it was Humboldt County I think?

I live in Canada, very legal and no stigma in my city.  The businesses and chains here are legit. Methinks there might have been a lot more going on than 'pot farming'. Possibly embezzlement etc... I agree he was arrogant and a narcissist with serious Peter Pan syndrome.

I agree @12catcrazy that it says a lot that he was unwilling to put his GF's involvement on paper. He was clearly using her and it mystified me to see her still defending him.  He was never going to make you a partner lady....ever. The relationship would run its course and he would have all the $$$ and business rights.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Wow, that was one evil bitch. And what chutzpah wanting his $200,000 estate paid into her prison commissary account! 😳

And if I may add a shallow comment…you’d think with all that manipulation and trickery she would be one hot dish….

Not even with distorted lenses could you use those adjectives to describe her. 

A true mystery.

Surely, she is not getting any part of his estate?!

Between Dateline, 20/20 and 48 Hours this week, the women are starting to catch up with the men, in all the worst ways. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

And if I may add a shallow comment…you’d think with all that manipulation and trickery she would be one hot dish….

A true mystery.

Lol, I was asking myself the same question when I watched this last night!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

This case was new to me but as soon as they said he was shot 7 times and she was just tied up, my hinky meter went off. 
And the gall at asking for his life insurance. Bitch, you’re the reason it’s paying off. I wish we had heard from the daughter. I hope she doesn’t give the mom any money. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

This case was new to me but as soon as they said he was shot 7 times and she was just tied up, my hinky meter went off. 
And the gall at asking for his life insurance. Bitch, you’re the reason it’s paying off. I wish we had heard from the daughter. I hope she doesn’t give the mom any money. 

I totally missed the part where she was tied up. LOL!!! The whole story was cray-cray.

• Love 1
On 4/10/2022 at 7:52 AM, PsychoKlown said:

But, but - according to husband #1 and the hitman/boyfriend, she has this magnetic personality! She convinces you she's a victim! 

I was disgusted that the daughter still visits her in prison.

• Love 4

You really had to feel bad for that poor husband (victim) in this case.  And I laughed that I am not the only one who couldn't figure out what all these men saw in her.  From the early photos, I guess she was nice enough looking but she sure as hell was no Angelina Jolie.   And at the time of the murder - I guess it shows that looks aren't everything.  

This case brings me back to wondering if these psychos who'd rather murder their spouse rather than divorce them have any kind of religious or spiritual values.   I look at it like, ok, so I bump off the spouse and get the 600K life insurance (and nowadays, that's not a whole lot) but is that worth your soul  being subjected to eternal punishment (or at least until the next reincarnation)?   And I'm not saying that means you're going to have somebody with horns, a tail and trident roasting you over flames but there is going to be some kind of punishment for doing something so morally reprehensible.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

You really had to feel bad for that poor husband (victim) in this case.  And I laughed that I am not the only one who couldn't figure out what all these men saw in her.  From the early photos, I guess she was nice enough looking but she sure as hell was no Angelina Jolie.   And at the time of the murder - I guess it shows that looks aren't everything.  

This case brings me back to wondering if these psychos who'd rather murder their spouse rather than divorce them have any kind of religious or spiritual values.   I look at it like, ok, so I bump off the spouse and get the 600K life insurance (and nowadays, that's not a whole lot) but is that worth your soul  being subjected to eternal punishment (or at least until the next reincarnation)?   And I'm not saying that means you're going to have somebody with horns, a tail and trident roasting you over flames but there is going to be some kind of punishment for doing something so morally reprehensible.  

If you are thinking of the religious ones, they don't seem to be spiritual but rather it is about maintaining the facade of respectability. I think they are sociopaths who just had no reason to exhibit their sociopathic nature until they killed. 

Of course there are the family annihilators like Christopher Watts who stuffed his kids in the oil tanks or Scott Petersen who just want to move on without any pesky issues like child support. But there is someone like John List who was a deacon and highly respectable church member who killed his wife, mother and children and successfully eluded detection for many years. There didn't seem to be any *rational* motivation although he had financial issues and from a "profile" standpoint many family annihilators have lost their jobs or lots of money and thus are no longer the "provider" that their rigid belief system believes the male head of the household should be.

• Love 1

48 Hours is doing an episode on the Michael Barisone trial.   It concluded yesterday, and the judge said each juror would be given a letter with contact information for the producer, and they were free to contact them, and appear.    (Michael Barisone, two time Olympian in Dressage, or at Stephen Colbert calls it, Horse Dancing).  

• Love 1

Couldn't watch Saturday's episode about the big game "hunters". I admittedly have such an extreme prejudice against people who enjoy shooting animals to death for sport, that I find myself not caring. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Couldn't watch Saturday's episode about the big game "hunters". I admittedly have such an extreme prejudice against people who enjoy shooting animals to death for sport, that I find myself not caring. 

I totally agree with you about hunting, but somehow I managed to watch the story about the dentist Dr. Rudolph. I FF and averted my eyes when they REPEATEDLY showed dead animals. It was absolutely u necessary and disgusting. 

Thst said, I firmly believe he killed his wife, no doubt in my mind. 

On a completely shallow note, I went to his dental practice website. He’s not listed but his daughter is. Question for you all-Would you go to a dentist who’s bio pic is so heavily filtered and the pose is so effing unprofessional? I think it’s ridiculous. I wouldn’t go to her just by this pic. 

019DB113-0D05-40E4-AD5C-461B85E45C60.jpeg

• LOL 8
18 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

I totally agree with you about hunting, but somehow I managed to watch the story about the dentist Dr. Rudolph. I FF and averted my eyes when they REPEATEDLY showed dead animals. It was absolutely u necessary and disgusting. 

Thst said, I firmly believe he killed his wife, no doubt in my mind. 

On a completely shallow note, I went to his dental practice website. He’s not listed but his daughter is. Question for you all-Would you go to a dentist who’s bio pic is so heavily filtered and the pose is so effing unprofessional? I think it’s ridiculous. I wouldn’t go to her just by this pic. 

019DB113-0D05-40E4-AD5C-461B85E45C60.jpeg

This looks like a VHS or Beta box cover for an “adult” 70’s movie geared toward fraternities or stag parties.  Yuck. 

7 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Yeah, seeing all those photos of him with his gun and the animals in front of him made me really uncomfortable and just added to my belief he was guilty. 

I got a kick out of the insistence that his wife knew about his longtime affair with that other woman, and that clearly means he would've had no motive to kill her. Just 'cause she knew, that doesn't automatically mean she was fine with it. Any negative feelings she had about his affair could've been simmering for years until something finally made it all explode. I got a real kick out of the idea of having his trial and his mistress' trial occur together, and his mistress being upset about that because she's afraid it might prejudice people with hers. Whether your trials happen together or separately, I think it's a little late for you to worry about that particular issue, lady. If she really cared about how she would appear to others, she wouldn't have, y'know, had an ongoing affair with a married man. 

I'm just always amazed with these kinds of stories how these guns always seem to keep "accidentally" going off so easily as they do. Especially since, as many in this episode noted, these two are professional hunters who know their way around a gun. Either these guns are really poorly designed, or these people are incompetent with guns, or, as is the more likely and logical scenario, the husband knew full well what he was doing and shot his wife intentionally. 

I also wondered why the hell he had nine life insurance policies on her. I don't get the people in these stories who have THAT many life insurance policies on their partner. Shouldn't that have raised some red flags with the insurance company beforehand? Wouldn't somebody find it a bit odd after a certain point that one guy is putting out so many policies on one person like that? It's especially odd considering how wealthy he already was - the only reason I could see for him needing to put out that many life insurance policies on his wife is because he's greedy and wants more money beyond what he's already making from his practice. Which would certainly be a valid enough motive to kill someone, no? 

• Love 8

OMG - that Dentist Daughter photo - and that is on the website?  WHAT are they selling?

No doubt in my mind that the dentist killed his wife - goes back to means and motive and he had those in spades.  By killing the wife he had a win/win situation.  He probably knew that the local investigation would be subpar (and who knows, maybe he paid off that local "investigator") and he gets the bonuses of $5 million in life insurance AND doesn't have to split the business and marital assets with an ex-wife!   And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the side piece knew of his plan or maybe suspected it. 

One thing that bugged me (and I had to hold my hand in front of my face every time they showed up pictures of those murdered animals) - they kept saying how the dead wife/victim had been such a loving and kind person.   Gee, in what world do "kind" people get their kicks killing large animals (and she was really, really, hoping to add a leopard to her collection of death) with high powered guns and topped with modern high tech gun sights.  Not much of a "sport" in my mind.  The poor animals never have any kind of a chance.  

And to end here, 48 Hours mentioned how the kids have been "supportive" of their father.  Yeah, ok.  Your mother dies in suspicious circumstances in a 3rd world country, your father cremates her within days and then moves in with his girlfriend in like a few weeks.  AND YOU SUPPORT YOUR FATHER.   I guess you don't want to piss off the guy with the bucks - can't bring back Mom...

Edited by 12catcrazy
  • Love 12
On 4/17/2022 at 7:01 AM, TVbitch said:

I abhor trophy hunters. And as others have said there were way too many pictures shown of husband and wife with their "trophies".  I actually have no sympathy for the wife - one less person to kill defenseless animals. In fact there is a bit of irony that the hunter became the hunted. And I have no doubt that the husband killed her. I only hope he does get sent to prison, if only to have one less morally corrupt person hunting these magnificent animals.

They showed a couple of pics of the daughter, and in one especially - wow, what an unattractive person, Maybe that was the reason for the digitally altered pic, but it didn't help. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I had to turn this episode off. I couldn’t deal with seeing pictures of slaughtered animals every other scene. Did he end up being convicted? 

No, the trial hasn't started yet.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

And to end here, 48 Hours mentioned how the kids have been "supportive" of their father.  Yeah, ok.  Your mother dies in suspicious circumstances in a 3rd world country, your father cremates her within days and then moves in with his girlfriend in like a few weeks.  AND YOU SUPPORT YOUR FATHER.   I guess you don't want to piss off the guy with the bucks - can't bring back Mom...

I haven't seen the show, but this always seems to happen when the fathers have a bit of money.... I will never forget the two ditzy daughters on Dateline (whose mother miraculously survived) and they were nearly giggling when discussing their father's infidelity towards their mother, saying something like "Daddy, don't do that". And these were grown women. Blech.

Edited by A.Ham
Wrong show
  • Love 5

Wow, just watched an episode called "In the Name of Hate", about the murder of Blaze Bernstein. He was killed by a fellow classmate of his, for being gay and Jewish, and said classmate belonged to a neo-Nazi online group. Such a heartbreaking story. The footage from the gathering honoring Blaze, and his mom's comments at the end about how she would dream of him, brought tears to my eyes. The fact that Blaze's grandmother was a Holocaust survivor just added to the sadness and despair of it all. And then the story about another boy who'd murdered his girlfriend's parents as retaliation for them telling her not to see him anymore, because of his own interest in that neo-Nazi group, was equally as horrifying.

I admire Blaze's parents for doing their part to try and combat the vile nature of groups like that, and being active in promoting diversity and inclusion and acceptance. And I hope that that neo-Nazi group is dissolved. Social media and the internet in general really need to do a hell of a lot more to rein in these horrible organizations and groups, to keep them from being able to spread their violent rhetoric so easily. Also would help to hold people in power who spout that kind of rhetoric accountable, too - they help fan the flames and embolden groups like this. 

• Love 4
On 4/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, 12catcrazy said:

He probably knew that the local investigation would be subpar (and who knows, maybe he paid off that local "investigator")

And what about that investigator?!!  "He told me his story, why would I not believe it"?  Are you kidding me?  That was all his investigation was!

I too had to look away from all the dead animal pictures.  There was absolutely no reason to show those.  They could have cropped the dead animal out of the photo.  The pictures of the hunters alone with their triumphant smiles was sickening enough.

21 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

They showed a couple of pics of the daughter, and in one especially - wow, what an unattractive person

Her unattractiveness was clearly the result of elective cosmetic surgery(ies).  I'll comment on her appearance because she chose to make herself look like that.    

I honestly kept thinking there would be a twist with the daughter.  She was constantly mentioned but wasn't interviewed.  Was that just to lend credence to how much of a saint her Mother was?  

• Love 6