Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Part 2+ Married at Second Sight

• Start Topic

Aside the Kate & Luke tabacle, I’m loving the other couples.  They have nice families, some very religious, educated, well spoken and the Fathers are typical, caring about their daughters and son.  Nice to see.  All the ingredients are there for prosperous marriages.  I really like the six and just hope Kate doesn’t get the shaft and the others make it.  There are ups and downs in the best of marriages.  I hope they all realize that.  If the guys and girls are decent and respect each other, they should realize what they have, as you dont know what’s around the corner.

• Love 5

Thanks for the recap, @humbleopinion!

38 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Pastor Cal beams for Jas' obvious happiness and that he was right about fighting for them to be picked...

Just to reiterate, during the not-at-all-rehearsed selection discussion between the experts, Cal pushed hard for Jasmine and Will while Jessica was adamant that AJ and Stephanie would be awesome. 

Cal: "[AJ's] going to drive her crazy."

Jessica: "Jasmine is spectacular. I don't want to set her up for a situation in which we're hoping he's going to step up."

We'll see, but it's not looking good for team Jessica. Not to mention that one of the two couples they all agreed on is a bust from the start. (Although Cal did caution about Luke perhaps not being attracted to Kate.)

Edited by 2727
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

OK, so I'll take the Nick part, and I'll add AJ.  There are clearly mannerisms that people in this forum associate with a man being gay.  Obviously it's not just about the groom not being attracted to the bride because quite a few here have gotten a gay vibe from AJ even though he seems to be attracted to his wife.  Yes, some people got gay vibes from Nick, but it doesn't mean that it was because he didn't find Sonia attractive.  So we've got people on the forum getting gay vibes from Nick, AJ, and Luke, one of which seems to be attracted to his bride.  And on the other side, we've got Jephte not being attracted to his bride, and people not thinking he was gay.  Seems pretty clear that the gay conclusion is coming from characteristics about the individual, and not just because the groom isn't attracted to the bride.

You are adding in things never brought up creating a narrative that I don't subscribe to. Luke reminds me of Nick, not of Jepthe or AJ. To expand further on this it is behavioral. At Sonia and Nick's wedding he didn't bother to compliment her and she noticed. At the reception his mother even brought up that he was lacking basic social skills. Luke was similar and basically went out of his way to be a jerk. His own friends later bring up that he is not skilled in social situations. 

• Love 5

Agree, Luke and I think Jasmine is spectacular...Hard to find a guy who could even come close to what she has to offer to a marriage...

Will is the new Danielle... hard to read his emotions...he is an enigma wrapped in a riddle...or just quiet...

• Love 4

I have been watching this series from the beginning and I have never thought that any of the participants were gay until Luke. Yes, there have been other husbands and wives who were not attracted to their partners and treated them coldly but no, I personally never concluded that any of them were gay. In this case, it was his voice and mannerisms on Unfiltered that pinged and then observing him with Kate was more proof. To me this is more than him simply not being attracted to her. I have to say, my instincts are usually right. That said, it doesn't really matter what the truth is because he is on this show, presenting as heterosexual, and is now married to a woman. So we will struggle forward and get to watch what is sure to be an epic trainwreck.

I think he is on the show simply to promote his speed dating business, nothing more. The experts really fouled up this match and I pity poor Kate. She looked so depressed on Unfiltered.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

I have been watching this series from the beginning and I have never thought that any of the participants were gay until Luke. Yes, there have been other husbands and wives who were not attracted to their partners and treated them coldly but no, I personally never concluded that any of them were gay. In this case, it was his voice and mannerisms on Unfiltered that pinged and then observing him with Kate was more proof. To me this is more than him simply not being attracted to her. I have to say, my instincts are usually right. That said, it doesn't really matter what the truth is because he is on this show, presenting as heterosexual, and is now married to a woman. So we will struggle forward and get to watch what is sure to be an epic trainwreck.

I think he is on the show simply to promote his speed dating business, nothing more. The experts really fouled up this match and I pity poor Kate. She looked so depressed on Unfiltered.

Honestly its the fact that he said in the preview that he felt repulsed by kissimg a pretty women. Even if she wasnt your cup of tea, she isnt hideous. Repulsion is a bit much. I could understand if he said he felt nothing at all. Im not going to say what my gaydar tells me. My first husband turned liking men and i was clueless.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Here's what I'm sensing:  Kate is gorgeous, why isn't Luke attracted to her?  Why doesn't he even want to kiss her?  Well, something like that happened to me, and the guy turned out to be gay, that's it, Luke must be gay.  

I don't get a gay vibe from any of the guys, sorry.

This is illogical. One doesn't have to be rejected by a gay man to suspect a person is gay.  I don't even understand why this is a thing. Some of us got a vibe, some didn't. Okay, whatever. We'll probably never know if he is or not unless or until someone comes out of the closet - him or someone else - to confirm. 

3 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

I agree about his mannerisms on Unfiltered. That's where my vibe came from but I'm not completely convinced. I do highly suspect the dude is a psychopath and I'm standing by that until he proves otherwise. Ultimately it doesn't matter what his why is. He's treated Kate like shit and apparently will continue to do so. She got cheated big time and God only knows how much therapy it'll take for her to get over his disgust and repulsion.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Unfiltered: A Whole Lot of Love  with JamieO, Jasmine, Luke, Pastor Cal

Unfiltered: Sealed with No Kiss with JamieO, Kate , Kristine and Pastor Cal

Thank you so much!  IIRC, you stepped up to do the Unfiltered recap last season, and it's great to see it again!

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

Honestly its the fact that he said in the preview that he felt repulsed by kissimg a pretty women. Even if she wasnt your cup of tea, she isnt hideous. Repulsion is a bit much. I could understand if he said he felt nothing at all. Im not going to say what my gaydar tells me. My first husband turned liking men and i was clueless.

Exactly where was it shown that Luke was repulsed?  I didn’t see it.

4 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

Exactly where was it shown that Luke was repulsed?  I didn’t see it.

Kate says that he said it in the preview aired last night.She said that he told her that when he kissed her he felt dead and repulsed.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Aside the Kate & Luke tabacle, I’m loving the other couples.  They have nice families, some very religious, educated, well spoken and the Fathers are typical, caring about their daughters and son.

I do wonder if they're careful to equally match the couples up with regards to how religious they are ,or if the other person would be OK with them being not religious at all.

I would hope so, but this is MAFs..so probably not.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I think it would be interesting to have a gay couple as well.

I do too!

But  I found this article, and they explained how they haven't figured out how to do it yet.

https://screenrant.com/married-at-first-sight-details-behind-making-of-trivia/

'*They can only match traditional couples due to the casting process*

"One major aspect of the show has never changed: the marriages have been between men and women only. The lack of any other marriages and unions on the show has had many fans questioning why the series doesn't represent today’s society.

However, the reason behind the lack of diversity centers around issues with the casting process. Coelen said: “We’d love to, but it’s very difficult.”

There’s also a risk given the very surprise set-up of the show. Because we have to put all the women and all the men in the same room (by gender) in workshops [during the casting process], there is a chance they could see each other [before meeting at the altar].

If we could figure out logistically how do it, we’d love to do it."

• Love 2
6 hours ago, StrongbyDefault said:

I was thinking the same thing!  There was so little attention to detail throughout the entire venue. It's a shame because it was beautiful but if I lived there I would NOT book a wedding there based on what was seen on this show. 

-the aisle for the inside ceremonies had a runner that wasn't tacked down and was a total tripping hazard

-that same aisle had lanterns lining the way that could have easily gotten caught up in a bride's train and tipped/dragged

-the aisle was way too narrow for a bride in a large gown to fit by herself, let alone with her father walking next to her

-no vestibule or awning on their approach to the ceremony

-the uneven stone steps that the brides had to walk down for the outside ceremonies

-no tent/cover over the guests for the outdoor ceremonies which apparently took place on the surface of the sun, judging by all the guests with umbrellas for shade

-no solid walkway to the outdoor reception tent - poor Stephanie had to hobble through the grass in her high heels to get into her reception

You have to imagine that they ceded control of a lot of the details (and probably even things like "how wide the aisle is") to production.  I'm not saying they don't suck, I'm just saying that they're just a wedding Air B&B for the production, and I'm sure that they told production what stuff they had and the show people decided whether and where to put that stuff.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

Kate says that he said it in the preview aired last night.She said that he told her that when he kissed her he felt dead and repulsed.

Thanks.  What a thing to say.  If I were her, I would split then and there and call my lawyer and get an annulment.  Then, go to the three “experts” and give them the bill.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

It was his appearance on Unfiltered that definitely pinged for me, too.  When asked about his haircut and he said he "butched it up a little bit" I thought...hmmm.  Of the many people I've met along the way - I've never heard a straight guy use "butch" in reference to himself.  It could mean nothing, but it stood out to me.    

• Love 8

Even though everyone is too "on" for Unfiltered, which I find annoying, could definitely see some sadness in Kate. Their scenes make me cringe as they are so awkward together. I don't really care what Luke's problem is - whether he's gay, on the show for the wrong reasons, or into a different kind of woman - he's rude & cruel & should've never been chosen. If he had wanted a different kind of woman & didn't state that, it's on him for being an ass. If he did say & the idiots 'experts' ignored his preference, then it's on them again. Either way it's at Kate's expense, which sucks & will be hard to watch.

Glad to see Jamie found some pants though; was worried what clothing may be missing this season.

AJ seems a bit calmer & more tolerable. He may be okay, or Luke will make him look really good; we'll see.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I do understand why it's good TV wise that a person is well spoken, but being well spoken has nothing to do with a person's character.  Some sociopaths and psychopaths have been well spoken.

Neither does religion, education and coming from good families.

• Love 2
(edited)

JamieO is all about her blond extensions... you catch her petting/caressing  them in the second Unfiltered...geez, get a room....

Her shoes makes it look like she has cloven hooves....

She strung  broken chain necklaces through her ear piercings so they hang with her hair extensions...

Her necklaces are understated so she put on a couple...all for purchase on her website...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

JamieO is all about her blond extensions... you catch her petting/caressing  them in the second Unfiltered...geez, get a room....

Any chance someone can get a screen shot?  I was really stunned last year when I think one of you did a screen shot of that sack/shirt that Jamie was wearing as a dress...it was actually worse than you guys had been describing!

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

The season preview clip with Kate telling Kristine that Luke felt repulsed and dead inside when he kissed her is in the Speculation Thread....see for yourself...it is sad every time

Oh goody.  Thanks.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I do wonder if they're careful to equally match the couples up with regards to how religious they are ,or if the other person would be OK with them being not religious at all.

I do think they try to. Last season there was an issue with Amber and Dave; she was less religious (maybe she was an atheist? I forget) than he was and he wasn't happy about it. To be fair though, Dave said outright that he had probably downplayed his religiosity during the casting process so that was on him more than the show. Mia and Tristan were equally religious (both devout) and that was made clear during the process.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, CousinOliver said:

They certainly tease Kate and Luke at decision day, so I don’t think they’re bowing out early

They also teased Molly and Jon at decision day and they had already called it quits.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Her shoes makes it look like she has cloven hooves....

She strung a broken chain necklaces through her ear piercings so they hang with her hair extensions...

Her necklaces are understated so she put on a couple...all for purchase on her website...

😁

rps20190109_203301.jpg

rps20190109_205358.jpg

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

😁

rps20190109_203301.jpg

rps20190109_205358.jpg

Where does she buy her shoes?  They look like those ankle things that the jail puts on so you can’t run away.  Or when one goes in an electric chair.  

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

😁

rps20190109_203301.jpg

rps20190109_205358.jpg

I just CANT with her.  One would think she would get better after all these seasons .. but NO !  Still the same hyper blabbermouth.  Can’t interview for shit.

• Love 4

A few things:

1. There are plenty of reasons to not be attracted to Kate other than being gay.  Maybe he's just into fit women.  As much as I like her, she's awfully chubby.

2. So Luke emails Kate see if she can go to a speed dating event.  (People still check email?)  I'd assume this is a mass marketing email, yet he specifically remembers Kate and remembers that she didn't reply back? 

3. Jamie isn't "Aunt Pretty" anymore.

4. In the matchmaking special, there's a very attractive woman sitting next to Stephanie.  Pepper starts her speech, the camera angle changes and that girl is gone.  I'd love to see what happened. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

JamieO upped her hair game this season, but revealed she had fake extensions. Fake works for her though, so there's that.

Although lustrous and thick, those extensions reminded me of some of my Barbies I had as a child - in other words, kind of plastic. Ymmv, obviously. 

I actually liked her olive jumpsuit- very on trend.

• Love 3

Poor Kate, Luke is just not that into her. Since Luke previously dated women of color, so Kate is probably not his type. Out of the three experts Pastor Cal was the on!y one who was doubtful about this match. Luke's behavior at the wedding was immature and rude. 

Edited by spunky
Spelling
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Jasmine was wearing a wedding ring during unfiltered.  Kate was not!

Kate was wearing a wedding band. I made a point to pause my TV and look really hard at everyone’s left hands when it was possible.

All four of the married folks were wearing wedding bands during both episodes of Unfiltered. I assume the bands are worn to prevent spoilers. 

Kristine’s wedding band slid down on her finger, but it was there. I was initially aghast because I thought: “Her marriage didn’t last, but Kate and Luke’s did?”

I’m assuming Kate & Luke aren’t together; pure speculation on my end.

Once I saw Kristine’s ring on her finger, all was right in the world. 

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Although lustrous and thick, those extensions reminded me of some of my Barbies I had as a child - in other words, kind of plastic. Ymmv, obviously. 

Yeah, those are obvious extensions. I don't watch whatever that is, but if she was coy about it I'm surprised - it's not really taboo to wear fake hair these days and those are not subtle.

• Love 3

JamieO proudly put the spotlight on her extravagant, majestic extensions...she got ahead of her fans on both sides by making a point to mention her new hairdo on the Unfiltered.

JamieO likes any attention so it is a win-win for a basic cable TV host and fame monger.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Magoo said:

It was his appearance on Unfiltered that definitely pinged for me, too.  When asked about his haircut and he said he "butched it up a little bit" I thought...hmmm.  Of the many people I've met along the way - I've never heard a straight guy use "butch" in reference to himself.  It could mean nothing, but it stood out to me.    

I thought he said that he "switched it up a bit".

Undeleting from the TiVo to listen again...

10 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I do think they try to. Last season there was an issue with Amber and Dave; she was less religious (maybe she was an atheist? I forget) than he was and he wasn't happy about it. To be fair though, Dave said outright that he had probably downplayed his religiosity during the casting process so that was on him more than the show. Mia and Tristan were equally religious (both devout) and that was made clear during the process.

I don’t think Dave cared about religion. He was done with Amber the minute he heard she dated one of his Jim bros and Amber knew it.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, spunky said:

Poor Kate, Luke is just not that into her. Since Luke previously dated women of color, so Kate is probably not his type. Out of the three experts Pastor Cal was the on!y one who was doubtful about this match. Luke's behavior at the wedding was immature and rude. 

Who is Luke to be so fussy.  He’s not exactly God’s gift.  I wouldn’t call him handsome ..just average with that two tone hair and beard.  IMO, Kate is not chubby.  She’s slim from the side and her face is round which makes her seem heavier, but still a beauty.  Jasmine is on the chubby side but nobody is shaming her.  All the brides were beautiful.  The guys weren’t too shabby either.  If these guys want a slim beauty, they should go pick one themselves.  If they can.  Apparently not.

p.s.  I’ll bet if Luke could have been matched with Jasmine, there would have been no complaints, but he didn’t go to Lincoln. Lol.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 22
16 hours ago, Soup333 said:

This is illogical. One doesn't have to be rejected by a gay man to suspect a person is gay.  I don't even understand why this is a thing. Some of us got a vibe, some didn't. Okay, whatever. We'll probably never know if he is or not unless or until someone comes out of the closet - him or someone else - to confirm. 

It's not illogical, it's my opinion, sorry if you don't agree.

I do agree that Luke is on the show to promote himself and his business though.

25 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

Who is Luke to be so fussy.  He’s not exactly God’s gift.  I wouldn’t call him handsome ..just average with that two tone hair and beard.  IMO, Kate is not chubby.  She’s slim from the side and her face is round which makes her seem heavier, but still a beauty.  Jasmine is on the chubby side but nobody is shaming her.  All the brides were beautiful.  The guys weren’t too shabby either.  If these guys want a slim beauty, they should go pick one themselves.  If they can.  Apparently not.

Luke has every right to be fussy, people like who they like and that's that.  I don't think Kate is chubby either; maybe she doesn't wear clothes that flatter her.  I don't think Jasmine is chubby either.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

JamieO upped her hair game this season, but revealed she had fake extensions. Fake works for her though, so there's that.

TV shows are fake.  Never expected them to be otherwise. 

• Love 2

I personally don't find Kate attractive, however I also wouldn't sign up for this show. I too think Luke is just on the show to promote his business , but why do people go on this show for that? Surely there's a million other reality shows that one can go on to promote your business , but not have to get married to a rando in the process.

I didn't think Luke was that bad to her until the clinking of the glasses and him leaving her there leaning in to kiss him and him backing away.. That was horrible, especially because he knew she wanted to kiss him and didn't feel uncomfortable doing it. But I'm not understanding dress-gate. He didn't say anything negative about her dress. He said it must be hard to drag it around all night or something along those lines. I don't understand why people are saying he thought her dress looked terrible.

I think whether or not he finds her attractive, he owes it to her to give it a chance and be all in. There have been several instances over the seasons where one person isn't attracted or into the other, and they act like such assholes along the way.. just don't sign up for a show like this if you are picky or have an idea of a certain person in your head. 

The luckiest any of these people have gotten on this show was Danielle with Bobby. He's handsome, sweet, and would do anything for her. But it's rare to sign up for a show like this and find everything you have been looking for.

• Love 6

Just finished this second show. I'm watching On Demand so the episodes are broken up or something. I didn't see anything called Unfiltered in the list so I don't know if I'm watching parts out of order but this was just the regular show where the others got married....

I didn’t like Kate from the beginning. She was too giggly for me and used the word “like” every two seconds. It’s just irritating. She totally looks like Lisa Welchel from The Facts of Life. What I think of her, however, in no way excuses the Luke is treating her. 

I thought I got a tinge of gaydar from Luke's mannerisms but not fully. What I thought more likely is that he is one of those guys that if you are not on their personal, internal “I find you attractive” list, they will treat you like shit. I’ve never worn make up in my life. I don’t wear dresses or skirts or heels It’s not me. Never has been, never will be. I’m a very presentable, fully heterosexual woman, and wear nice clothing but am very particular about what I wear. I can’t even count the number of times that I’d go into a pizza shop and get short, curt answers from the guy behind the counter but if a dolled up gal came in, he was falling over himself talking to her. I’ve had the experience of getting on a very early bus carrying a container of coffee and being told by the driver that I shouldn’t bring that on the bus but the dress wearing, made up gals carrying their own containers were greeted with smiley good mornings. This has happened my entire life and I never lost sleep over it but I just know the type. 

I say this because Luke looks like the type of guy that determines in about a nanosecond if you are his type and if you are not, you are completely and totally disposable and he feels no obligation to be polite, civil or anything else. He’s entirely too above you to give you the time of day. But look what he’s done here. He’s gotten himself into a situation in which he feels that way but cannot simply walk away because he’s married. 

He is difficult to figure out. Was he raised in some really religious household or something? I get that he’s not attracted to Kate, but he doesn’t seem, well, sexual at all. I can’t quite explain it but there are some people that you meet that you notice that they never smile in a genuine way or participate in a conversation that shows some sort of depth. Someone said psychopath. I can actually see what that poster means. He’s very weird and strange and that these “experts” didn’t notice any of this stuff and coupled him with someone who did not match his stated preferences, it’s like they wanted a trainwreck. Great for TV, I guess but not for Kate.

On a purely superficial note: I thought Kate's dress was ugly in the extreme. All those buttons that that coffee color back was just awful to look at. 

I may get names wrong with some of the people but I see trouble in the future for Keith and the queen. He's a couch potato and grandma probably cooked his meals and did his laundry. He seems like a nice enough guy and not exactly lazy, but not willing to put much effort into anything. He'd probably rather spend weekends on the couch just chilling and has zero interest in fitness. She will expect him to mold to fit her expecations and accommodate what she wants and if he doesn't, I see lots of bickering. He doesn't seem driven, which I think is fine. There are people who are perfectly content to earn modest wages and live a pretty quiet, homebody, simple life. Queenie is not one of those people and will expect him to change. Hopefully he shows her the door if she demands that.

The Lincoln U couple are boring as can be and I seriously don't remember anything about them except their group picture at the wedding.

Stephanie comes across as a forced smile type person and as much as she goes on about how much fun she is, I don't see her being able to deal with AJ's constant joking around. 

Edited by configdotsys
hit submit too soon
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I thought Kate's dress was ugly in the extreme.

I also thought that dress was ugly. I didn’t think it flattered her at all, and it was very matronly. Perhaps she and Luke’s mother should have switched?

I also thought Kristine’s dress was hideous as well - kind of tacky and messy with all that rhinestone crap hanging off her shoulders like sparkly seaweed.

Jasmine had the best dress and hair in my opinion.

• Love 10