Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

The Titan Games

Well, this is obviously an NBC show...oy, the back stories.  I will tape as of the next showing.  It was ok - fine for mindless viewing.  :)

I enjoyed this. The events are crazy, I was worn out watching them lol. I felt bad for the folks who lost in the first round;  there was so much build up and back story, it  had to suck going out so soon. I'm looking forward to the new episodes to come

• Like 1

I'm still watching tonight's episode but that battle on the high ramp was pretty cool. Major props to Melissa(?) who was so close to being pushed off the edge and ended up winning the comp. That took will.

• Like 1

I didn't like it - cheap knockoff of ANW! Probably won't watch anymore.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 11:16 PM, CrazyDog said:

I'm still watching tonight's episode but that battle on the high ramp was pretty cool. Major props to Melissa(?) who was so close to being pushed off the edge and ended up winning the comp. That took will.

That was the one that had me a little suspicious. It looked like her opponent (whose name I've forgotten...sorry) just gave up..when the camera went to her it looked like she was just walking to the edge.

So what's the deal with The Rock?  He insists on repeating for each challenge that "I designed this one to really challenge upper body/lower body/endurance/etc."  But I carefully watched the end credits (twice) and nowhere is he listed as Executive Producer, or Producer or game designer--he is only listed as "host".  In fact, the credits clearly name the game builders and designers.  I don't believe that The Rock had any part in any of it.

I just saw a commercial for this last night, haven't watched the show yet, but the commercial put me in mind of American Gladiators. I love American Ninja Warrior, sad to hear it's a poor ripoff.

I like ANW better, because they are racing against the clock, not each other.  Also, what's the point of telling a backstory on a contestant if three seconds later, they'll be out and we'll never see or hear from them again?  

I liked the original American Gladiators back in the day, but the recent reboot had way too many interviews and too much commentary, and not nearly enough action.  This is more like the reboot, honestly.

• Like 1

The guy Mt Olympus race entertained me. The big dude just being unable to get past the rollers was both funny and sad at the same time. Now the women’s race was just sad.  The poor red girl. 

• Like 2

I didn't like how the 2nd round of ladies' competition wasn't shown...they did that on a men's round a couple episodes ago as well. These folks are clearly excited to participate on the show, it's messed up to gloss over their competition with an "Oh yeah, this happened..." montage 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

I didn't like how the 2nd round of ladies' competition wasn't shown...they did that on a men's round a couple episodes ago as well. These folks are clearly excited to participate on the show, it's messed up to gloss over their competition with an "Oh yeah, this happened..." montage 

Especially when you consider the time they waste on stupid stuff.  But it's the same way with ANW.  SPeaking of, I didn't come into this thinking it would be anything like ANW and it isn't, so I don't consider it a ripoff or even compare it.   I think it's fun to see what the human body can do (not MY human body, of course).

I think it was very stupid of the girl (red) with the knee problems who got hurt to keep running.  I get the 'power/mind of a competitor', bla bla bla...but she could have seriously made whatever injury she  had worse.  Especially on those slides that jam you into the wall below.  

• Like 4

What a snooze fest! If you condensed the show down to just the actual competition I think you might have 10 minutes of content, maybe 15 if I’m being generous.

ANW is only a few months away. I’ll wait for that - sorry The Rock!

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 6:51 PM, Me from ME said:

I love ANW so I gave this a try. Couldn't make it through the first hour. NOPE. I'm out.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:48 AM, jlc said:

I didn't like it - cheap knockoff of ANW! Probably won't watch anymore.

As easy as it is to heap love upon ANW (totally justified), I don't think it's a total knockoff. My take is that the backstories are a little more prevalent, and the emphasis is more on strength. Also, Dwayne clearly relishes his role as figurehead/god figure. Oh, wait, no, they don't call him that. No, it's "DJ." Since. Friggin' When?!? Can I call him "Deege" like I refer to TJ Lavin as "Teege" when watching The Challenge?

TTG is a good way to kill an hour, and I can see how it would appeal to execs more than Spartan did. Yeah, you probably forgot about that show, didn't you? Sadly, there's more of a chance of an injury, like with that lady falling off the wall. Seeing someone writhe in agony isn't good TV, and spinning her as "courageous" for trooping through to the moment she was defeated wasn't much better. Slightly worse hell than poor Frank. He can knock a concrete ball down to size quickly, but he's probably still on the course, stuck on the rolling logs.

Gotham takes priority, but I'll record TTG.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 5

I haven't gone back to watch but from what I saw it was only a competition of strength with a lot of grimacing and grunting while ANW requires a variety of skill sets. (There certainly isn't an grunting on the Silk Slider. )

• Like 1

This show only has 6 events TOTAL. Maybe 8 if you consider the final challenge a double challenge. 

There is no reason to skip any events at all, since each event only takes a few minutes to do. I 'watched' it last week by FFing throuh all the story and thought I had FFed  too far when I realized the second woman's challenge wasn't shown... didn't go back but apparently it was skipped completely. Bad form show. (I do wonder if one of the women injured herself so the challenge was cancelled or something?)

People watch these shows to see the contestants competing on the challenges. We are NOT watching to hear whatever sobstories the producers cooked up to try and make the contestants 'appealing' or something. 

Newsflash to producers: Work out how much time you need to show the stuff that matters, and THEN fill the remaining time with the bios. Not the other way around. 

Really, if a gameshow like Jeopardy was developed today, each contestant would have a 3 minute video biography, there would be 3 categories per round, and we would only see the daily doubles and maybe a handfull of other answers, and the final jeopardy answer. Because for some reason the "human biography angle" seems to be what Producers think people want. 

• Like 4

Any thoughts on last week's episode? I feel kinda bad for the guy with the underdeveloped hand. No, it's not out of pity. It's just that he obviously wanted to do well, but the other guy jumped up the ladder absurdly quick and got to the giant wall first. So the guy gets to the beam, the wall is coming right at him, he makes a stand . . . and he gets shoved off. I think you just have to take the wall to a limit to set off the fireworks, but the opponent had way too much momentum to stop.

ETA: Also, being competitive/active with just one full hand isn't unheard of on reality shows. Jordan Wiseley has won two versions of The Challenge. Nice guy. Meathead, but nice. Anyone else think of him last week?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2

I thought that new Vortex challenge this week was INSANE. You could just tell how gassed they were before even attempting to climb that ridiculous chain ladder. Holy crap I was exhausted just watching them. 

I am a HUGE American Ninja Warrior fan so I thought I would give this show a chance in hopes it would tide me over until their season starts. Overall I find it lacks a lot of the excitement of ANW, also I obviously have no prior connection to certain contestants like I do with ANW, but I still find it enjoyable! 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, Taeolas said:

People watch these shows to see the contestants competing on the challenges. We are NOT watching to hear whatever sobstories the producers cooked up to try and make the contestants 'appealing' or something. 

LOL because you just described ANW.

So far on this show we haven't gotten any WWWAs, so there's that. The runs just aren't shown!

I like the backstories so maybe I can be invested in one contestant or another. But I like them on ANW too, so I'm a minority. But hey, I'm the one watching here so I'm good with them!

So far I like this as mindless entertainment, but if I miss a run (or two or three), I'm fine with it. Maybe if I get more invested in someone I'll care more. Or when it gets closer to the end. I'll see.

On 1/30/2019 at 11:48 AM, Lantern7 said:

I feel kinda bad for the guy with the underdeveloped hand. No, it's not out of pity. It's just that he obviously wanted to do well, but the other guy jumped up the ladder absurdly quick and got to the giant wall first.

I know, that guy FLEW up the ladder like I've never seen, so had the advantage over the hand guy, who I had figured was easily going to win that challenge. I hope we get to see him again.

I do like The Rock's shoulder/arm tats. Nice. (The tats and the shoulders/arms.)

• Like 1

I have been watching this show on Hulu, and I actually am enjoying it. I do enjoy seeing the people who have really overcome the odds (like the guy with Leukemia this last show) and rebuilt their bodies so incredibly. I also like seeing the guys who just focus on building their muscles at the gym but otherwise do not work on their athleticism fail miserably. There was a guy an episode or two back who was so huge, and he crushed the first wall and the three uphill walls, but he got totally stuck on the spinning cylinders, and just could NOT get over them. I think he was maybe on the last slide when his opponent was removing the key from the...crypt-thing, about to win.

I would really like to see "DJ" take on Mt. Olympus and all of the qualifying tasks. Maybe show the average time for all the winners of that particular task, and Dwayne can do the tasks solo but racing the clock. That can even just be online-only content, but I'd totally watch it.

I am also wondering how they will do the finals. Will they basically use the same bracket system as the regular episodes for two semi-final episodes, then the four winners from there will compete in a final?

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 9:01 PM, dvr devotee said:

I do enjoy seeing the people who have really overcome the odds (like the guy with Leukemia this last show) and rebuilt their bodies so incredibly. I also like seeing the guys who just focus on building their muscles at the gym but otherwise do not work on their athleticism fail miserably.

That's why I was rooting for Yoga Master over Leukemia Guy.  YM was more well-rounded, and I figured he'd do better on the obsticles that take a bit of strategy, like Rolling Ascent and The Cliff (where too much power will make the holes too big).

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 9:48 AM, Lantern7 said:

Any thoughts on last week's episode? I feel kinda bad for the guy with the underdeveloped hand. No, it's not out of pity. It's just that he obviously wanted to do well, but the other guy jumped up the ladder absurdly quick and got to the giant wall first. So the guy gets to the beam, the wall is coming right at him, he makes a stand . . . and he gets shoved off. I think you just have to take the wall to a limit to set off the fireworks, but the opponent had way too much momentum to stop.

ETA: Also, being competitive/active with just one full hand isn't unheard of on reality shows. Jordan Wiseley has won two versions of The Challenge. Nice guy. Meathead, but nice. Anyone else think of him last week?

Late response, but yes. I was hoping to see the guy with the underdeveloped hand do really well, and it was just his bad luck to be paired with that crazy fast guy. I think most competitors would have lost that one. And yes, Jordan totally came to mind.

Last night's show was decent, I was rooting for the lady with the lung issue. That was pretty hardcore, and she didn't seem to have any issues with stamina. She killed it.

The proposal was so cringe, but I loved the other lady coming over and giving her a big congratulations.

And the guy's final challenge was so close! I felt bad for the guy who just barely lost out...but maybe he shouldn't have pointed out that he was Goliath, lol. "David" totally won. But they both did great.

I'm enjoying the show. It's no ANW, but it's fun hour.

Edited by CrazyDog

The big bulky guy doing the sledge hammer/wrecking ball challenge had horrible technique. Those super fast but short strikes to the wrecking ball weren't doing any damage at all. He had every advantage and could have done some strong, full extension hits to that ball to break it apart with ease. 

Quite a few competitors have lost just due to their technique in the challenge. It could just be that they are seeing it for the first time (being the inaugural season) but I hope the next contestants are paying attention and learning what works and what doesn't.