Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I’ve said before in this forum that it would be fun to see a LHOTP reboot told from the point of view of the Olesons (a la Wicked). We’d see the ugly, retaliatory side of the Ingalls clan, which justifies cruel treatment of the Olesons when the Ingalls think the Olesons deserve it (poison ivy, angry bees, “cinnamon” chicken, fake newspaper advertisements, etc).

Well according to Charles, it's ok to be mean to people in person if it's done to the Oleson's just don't listen to people's conversations or create fake news in the paper

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I’ve said before in this forum that it would be fun to see a LHOTP reboot told from the point of view of the Olesons (a la Wicked). We’d see the ugly, retaliatory side of the Ingalls clan, which justifies cruel treatment of the Olesons when the Ingalls think the Olesons deserve it (poison ivy, angry bees, “cinnamon” chicken, fake newspaper advertisements, etc).

I would love that!  I forgot for a moment about the bees, that was really awful and cruel. I guess Rev Alden's sermons were too weak, they didn't get the Christian way of doing things at times. ; ) The poison ivy too was not needed, they should have known Ivy but still, Laura forgot when she thought she had that horrible disease when again she didn't listen and went to Mr Edwards place to see Alicia.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, debraran said:

I forgot for a moment about the bees, that was really awful and cruel.

The bee thing is just so appalling to me. I can have a dark sense of humor, but there is nothing funny about that to me at all. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I would love that!  I forgot for a moment about the bees, that was really awful and cruel. I guess Rev Alden's sermons were too weak, they didn't get the Christian way of doing things at times. ; ) The poison ivy too was not needed, they should have known Ivy but still, Laura forgot when she thought she had that horrible disease when again she didn't listen and went to Mr Edwards place to see Alicia.

And the crazy thing is that that was one of the very few times Laura was depicted actually making the effort to see Alicia!  It didn't even seem as though the two wrote each other when the Edwardses were 'in California' - and barely acknowledged each other when Laura popped in with Pa to see them when Isaiah had to start his 'redemption arc' before he could return to Walnut Grove full time- without the REST of his family (and no mention of Laura keeping in contact with Alicia thereafter).

Oh, here's another rule that only applied to Charles- if you decide you're having an emergency (e.g. your kids are on a loose caboose OR you found out they're riding the rails to California with their dying pal),  just PUNCH the nearest horse's rider  right off their saddle and 'borrow' the horse. Don't even try to ask much less explain how much of an 'emergency' you're having. Just PUNCH then  swipe  then leap up  then ride off with this strange horse at breakneck speed (for rider AND horse)!  Oh, and don't bother to try to reunite the horse with the legit human after all is said and done- or even leave a note explaining where  the horse came from !  Sure, there all these annoying pesky laws on the books in many 19th century communities that spell out that horse thievery is a capital and HANGING offense but don't worry about that- you're Charles Ingalls!

Seriously, ML is lucky no one attempted to do Grand Theft Auto to any of his motorized 20th century vehicles via just using one or two babysteps re ML justifying 19th century horse thievery!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 5
  • LOL 2

When Mary was in the hospital and Charles and Mr. Edwards went to look for jobs to pay the medical bills, didn't Charles fight the foreman who didn't have work for them? And we're suppose to be on his side because it's for his sick daughter, but just like Harriet wouldn't give him credit, the foreman didn't know him and already had all the workers he need. It's like strangers are supposed to see is aura and hand him whatever he wants.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Blergh said:

And the crazy thing is that that was one of the very few times Laura was depicted actually making the effort to see Alicia!  It didn't even seem as though the two wrote each other when the Edwardses were 'in California' - and barely acknowledged each other when Laura popped in with Pa to see them when Isaiah had to start his 'redemption arc' before he could return to Walnut Grove full time- without the REST of his family (and no mention of Laura keeping in contact with Alicia thereafter).

Oh, here's another rule that only applied to Charles- if you decide you're having an emergency (e.g. your kids are on a loose caboose OR you found out they're riding the rails to California with their dying pal),  just PUNCH the nearest horse's rider  right off their saddle and 'borrow' the horse. Don't even try to ask much less explain how much of an 'emergency' you're having. Just PUNCH then  swipe  then leap up  then ride off with this strange horse at breakneck speed (for rider AND horse)!  Oh, and don't bother to try to reunite the horse with the legit human after all is said and done- or even leave a note explaining where  the horse came from !  Sure, there all these annoying pesky laws on the books in many 19th century communities that spell out that horse thievery is a capital and HANGING offense but don't worry about that- you're Charles Ingalls!

Seriously, ML is lucky no one attempted to do Grand Theft Auto to any of his motorized 20th century vehicles via just using one or two babysteps re ML justifying 19th century horse thievery!

spot on about Charles Ingalls (tv series)...another two-faced hypocrite with double standards..."do as I say, not as I do" philosophy...there are many examples of his boorish behavior throughout the series where he literally contradicts what he preaches (ad nauseam) just as long as it suits his needs and wants. 

• Like 4

Ok, now I'm confused....just got done watching all of the LHOTP episodes (seaons 1 - 9)...Did not see the three movies just yet but I read on various forums that Albert came back to Walnut Grove while studying to become a doctor but had become seriously ill with cancer, nosebleeds, leukemia? and it wasn't made clear or not if he actually died, right? He's seen walking with Laura at the end "Look Back to Yesterday" and then he isn't in the grand finale "The last farewell" when everyone leaves and blows up Walnut Grove?!!...but in season 9 "Back Home" episode when he is battling his morphine addiction, Laura tells at the end of that episode in her "voice over" that Albert returned back to Walnut Grove 20 years later and became the towns doctor!...what??!!!...He never became a doctor and the town was blown up!...Did I miss something?!...these LTHOP snafu's are giving me headaches!...LOL!

• Like 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, BusterHymen said:

Ok, now I'm confused....just got done watching all of the LHOTP episodes (seaons 1 - 9)...Did not see the three movies just yet but I read on various forums that Albert came back to Walnut Grove while studying to become a doctor but had become seriously ill with cancer, nosebleeds, leukemia? and it wasn't made clear or not if he actually died, right? He's seen walking with Laura at the end "Look Back to Yesterday" and then he isn't in the grand finale "The last farewell" when everyone leaves and blows up Walnut Grove?!!...but in season 9 "Back Home" episode when he is battling his morphine addiction, Laura tells at the end of that episode in her "voice over" that Albert returned back to Walnut Grove 20 years later and became the towns doctor!...what??!!!...He never became a doctor and the town was blown up!...Did I miss something?!...these LTHOP snafu's are giving me headaches!...LOL!

Logic/consistency and late LHOTP are like oil and water. 

These TV movies have to be seen to be believed. As batshit crazy and nonsensical as season 9 is, they're even more batshit and crazy and nonsensical. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
11 minutes ago, Zella said:

Logic/consistency and late LHOTP are like oil and water. 

These TV movies have to be seen to be believed. As batshit crazy and nonsensical as season 9 is, they're even more batshit and crazy and nonsensical. 

Very true and funny...as I mentioned earlier, every season got progressively worse...the crappy writing and storylines, the inconsistencies, etc. all which range from the sublime to the ridiculous!...just a few more annoying and snafu tidbits....I'm kind of brainstorming and piggybacking from other comments (seems like every topic was hit very well on these pages)...Reverend Alden gets married and we never see or hear from his wife again? The Edwards just disappeared somewhere between seasons 4 - 5 and the Garvey's show up mysteriously to take their place as though nothing ever happened? The courtship of Laura and Almanzo is disturbing on many levels...She is still very young (14 or 15) and Almanzo is at least 10+ years older than her? (basically pedophilia)...Mary's hair going from long and blonde to almost black and with that goofy ass Ms. Clairol hair weave from the 80's?!!...really??!!...and the character Klezia?...was she even necessary?...it really irked and bothered me when she worked part time at the post office and opened up and read everyone's letters and then re-sealed them!!...blatant invasion of privacy which is now considered tampering and a felony in most states!...and one last thing...lets not forget all of Michael Landon's revisionist history of Walnut Grove! If I didn't know any better, I think a good part of our country's history was started and perpetuated in Walnut Grove...Frank and Jesse James??!!...and of'course Bob Ford who shot and killed Jesse James was another one hit wonder student at the school of Walnut Grove!...Colonel Harland Sanders?!! who wasn't even born yet for fuk's sake!!...and let's not forget the woman's suffrage movement, women's rights, and the right to vote all started in Walnut Grove too when all of the housewives staged a protest and let the husbands fend for themselves!...and how exactly did the Mercantile stay in business when everyone was piss poor and had no money?!!...Even Doc Baker was paid with food, apple pies, chickens, etc!...It's a damn wonder the Oleson's didn't go bankrupt when they always extended credit but no one ever paid!...a very bad business model...I could go on and on, but you get the point...batshit crazy, nonsensical storylines which made absolutely no sense!...that's LHOTP for you in a nutshell!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, BusterHymen said:

.Frank and Jesse James??!!...and of'course Bob Ford who shot and killed Jesse James was another one hit wonder student at the school of Walnut Grove!

I've had a meltdown about this several times on here. LOL Them having Bob Ford as a sworn enemy of the Jameses rather than an admirer who was intimately familiar with the family is also a choice.

The courtship of Laura and Almanzo is disturbing on many levels...She is still very young (14 or 15) and Almanzo is at least 10+ years older than her? (basically pedophilia)

It also profoundly bothers me that he makes it pretty clear he's interested in her, like their special nicknames for each other, and then acts bewildered she thought he was interested. I'd actually been looking forward to their courtship because it is charming in the books, but it was the point where I thought the show got really off-kilter. 

Very true and funny...as I mentioned earlier, every season got progressively worse...the crappy writing and storylines, the inconsistencies, etc. all which range from the sublime to the ridiculous!

What really bothers me too is the first two or so seasons are pretty solid. They do tend to have the one-episode characters that appear and disappear, as 70s TV was prone to do, and they can be a bit shmaltzy, but the general stakes of the episodes are much more realistic and the characters don't act like cartoons. Those early episodes are genuinely enjoyable to me. The fact they went so far off the rails after showing themselves capable of making good TV is baffling to me. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, BusterHymen said:

spot on about Charles Ingalls (tv series)...another two-faced hypocrite with double standards..."do as I say, not as I do" philosophy...there are many examples of his boorish behavior throughout the series where he literally contradicts what he preaches (ad nauseam) just as long as it suits his needs and wants. 

And it seemed he was oblivious to how vital it was for other folks to keep the horses they'd bought, bartered and/or had borne to them in a herd. I mean, it's not as though 19th century folks only used horses to pull hay wagons to look at stars. They needed them for everything from transportation to pulling plows,etc. not just to help them for their livelihood but even to live (and this often included city dwellers ). Yet CI seemed to think horses for other folks were mere toys like skateboards.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 5
On 5/19/2023 at 6:02 AM, Snow Apple said:

When Mary was in the hospital and Charles and Mr. Edwards went to look for jobs to pay the medical bills, didn't Charles fight the foreman who didn't have work for them? And we're suppose to be on his side because it's for his sick daughter, but just like Harriet wouldn't give him credit, the foreman didn't know him and already had all the workers he need. It's like strangers are supposed to see is aura and hand him whatever he wants.

Hey give him some credit. he showed some restraint when the banker wasn't sure if he should give him a loan

It could have playe out like this

banker: i'll have to think about this

Charles: What's there ot think about?!?!?! I gave you my word

banker: yes I heard

Charles: I'm Charles Ingalls, doesn't my name mean anything

banker: well I heard about the confederate money issue

Charles: OH come on it was a accident that could have happened to anyone!

banker: or you couldn't supply coffee or writing pencil and you had to hire Chris to build your add on

Charles: Oh Come On!

banker: See me tomorrow

(Charles punches banker, takes money, trips running out of bank, breaks ribs)

(at Doc office as Charles is shirtless getting wrapped up, the banker and whole town show up)

banker: seeing you hurt made me realize how horrible i treated you. Take the loan Mr. Ingalls and take your time paying it back. No rush. Anytime you need a loan just le me know, we will make it work

Charles: what a banker, it does do a man proud to feel appreciated by the bank

• LOL 8
(edited)
5 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Hey give him some credit. he showed some restraint when the banker wasn't sure if he should give him a loan

It could have playe out like this

banker: i'll have to think about this

Charles: What's there ot think about?!?!?! I gave you my word

banker: yes I heard

Charles: I'm Charles Ingalls, doesn't my name mean anything

banker: well I heard about the confederate money issue

Charles: OH come on it was a accident that could have happened to anyone!

banker: or you couldn't supply coffee or writing pencil and you had to hire Chris to build your add on

Charles: Oh Come On!

banker: See me tomorrow

(Charles punches banker, takes money, trips running out of bank, breaks ribs)

(at Doc office as Charles is shirtless getting wrapped up, the banker and whole town show up)

banker: seeing you hurt made me realize how horrible i treated you. Take the loan Mr. Ingalls and take your time paying it back. No rush. Anytime you need a loan just le me know, we will make it work

Charles: what a banker, it does do a man proud to feel appreciated by the bank

Then Laura pipes up "No thank you Mr Banker. Cash on the barrel head, that's what Pa always says. Or at least that was the way that one time me and Mary needed the slate and slate pencil for school."

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Then Laura pipes up "No thank you Mr Banker. Cash on the barrel head, that's what Pa always says. Or at least that was the way that one time me and Mary needed the slate and slate pencil for school."

and then Harriet mutters something under her breath

• Like 2

I originally thought the nadir of the show was when Colonel Sanders showed up and wanted to turn Nellie’s Restaurant into a KFC. Never let logic get in the way of a good gag!

But then season 9 and the movies happened.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I originally thought the nadir of the show was when Colonel Sanders showed up and wanted to turn Nellie’s Restaurant into a KFC. Never let logic get in the way of a good gag!

But then season 9 and the movies happened.

Never seen the episode but I can guess what happens

No one takes Sanders seriously so he's about to give up and leave, Charles begs him to stay, then goes to church and criticizes the town for not supporting him. Next morning everyone's lined up to eat the chicken. Sanders looks at Charles and Charles winks

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I think that episode was relatively Charles light with a focus on Harriet? I've only seen it once or twice, it's just as dumb as it sounds. 

Well, Charles DID have a pivotal role in it. He sank Harriet's Pan-Fried Chicken Franchise via serenading the zillions of Walnut Grove patrons with his violin (despite, as always , holding the bow about a foot away from the strings) with Nels's cooking being only a tiny part of the downfall.

Yes,it's quite dumb indeed!

However, considering the fact that both Ketty Lester and Karen Grassle each sang high praises about the late Miss MacGregor in their autobios, it's kind of nice in retrospect to see these three performers actually somewhat bond together in adversity despite the totally bogus premise!

Yeah, by this point, ML the scriptwriter was strictly going through the motions and not even trying to attempt a decent plot any more than real than his version of Charles's violin playing!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Well, Charles DID have a pivotal role in it. He sank Harriet's Pan-Fried Chicken Franchise via serenading the zillions of Walnut Grove patrons with his violin (despite, as always , holding the bow about a foot away from the strings) with Nels's cooking being only a tiny part of the downfall.

LOL, I don't remember this in the slightest! I remember them looking at the contract a lot, Harriet being harried and Colonel Sanders at the end. That's about it. 

In my initial run watching this in the mid-80s and then my second pandemic run, there were quite a few that I would skip, or just not pay attention to. This was one of them. 

• Like 3

I actually think Harriet's singing would have been more entertaining than Charles's air violining!

Yeah, I always thought it was a bit much that for all of ML's determination to learn such intense physical activities such as horseback riding,boxing,millstone door slamming,etc., in the eight years of LHOTP he never attempted to learn how to play the violin (despite Pa's skill in it being a highlight of Mrs. Wilder's tomes) - nor even to fake playing one!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Blergh said:

I actually think Harriet's singing would have been more entertaining than Charles's air violining!

Yeah, I always thought it was a bit much that for all of ML's determination to learn such intense physical activities such as horseback riding,boxing,millstone door slamming,etc., in the eight years of LHOTP he never attempted to learn how to play the violin (despite Pa's skill in it being a highlight of Mrs. Wilder's tomes) - nor even to fake playing one!

Family out of money yet that violin sits in corner collecting dust

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/25/2023 at 1:48 PM, jason88cubs said:

Never seen the episode but I can guess what happens

No one takes Sanders seriously so he's about to give up and leave, Charles begs him to stay, then goes to church and criticizes the town for not supporting him. Next morning everyone's lined up to eat the chicken. Sanders looks at Charles and Charles winks

You forgot the part where Charles licks his fingers because the chicken is so good, leading Sanders to come up with his famous slogan.

Seriously though, like others said, a man (they never said his name but if you know, you know) told Harriet about his idea of a restaurant that only serves chicken and she said no thanks by explaining how they tried serving only 3 meals and failed. He goes away and Nels come out and ask why she's laughing. She told him the man's idea and he laughs with her. The end.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 5/27/2023 at 10:11 AM, Snow Apple said:

You forgot the part where Charles licks his fingers because the chicken is so good, leading Sanders to come up with his famous slogan.

Seriously though, like others said, a man (they never said his name but if you know, you know) told Harriet about his idea of a restaurant that only serves chicken and she said no thanks by explaining how they tried serving only 3 meals and failed. He goes away and Nels come out and ask why she's laughing. She told him the man's idea and he laughs with her. The end.

With scripts like that, they could have easily just hooked up Mrs. Wilder's spinning grave to the sawmill  geers and have  had no need to build a waterwheel to 'power' it up!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 5/26/2023 at 4:11 AM, Blergh said:

Yeah, by this point, ML the scriptwriter was strictly going through the motions and not even trying to attempt a decent plot any more than real than his version of Charles's violin playing!

On the 40th Anniversary documentary featured as a bonus feature on Blu-ray, Charlotte Stewart told how she saw ML writing next episode script in-between the takes of an episode being shot at the time. And he was directing it. And to be clear, Stewart stated this in a very admiring tone, like, "Oh, what a super man to be able to do that"! Sometimes, it really feels like the script was written while doing something else. Our pet peeve episode May we bake them brown comes first in mind.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Was watching Whisper Country, and damn, Mary is really awful in it. She's a terrible houseguest (oh, it's time for dinner? I'm gonna wash up and change instead of being on time), she yells at everyone instead of speaking like a reasonable human being, and she interferes with everything (leave the rooster tied up, nosy!) because she thinks she knows best. It's like she's channeling Charles - I guess it's a good thing she didn't fall down and break her ribs.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
7 hours ago, jird said:

Was watching Whisper Country, and damn, Mary is really awful in it. She's a terrible houseguest (oh, it's time for dinner? I'm gonna wash up and change instead of being on time), she yells at everyone instead of speaking like a reasonable human being, and she interferes with everything (leave the rooster tied up, nosy!) because she thinks she knows best. It's like she's channeling Charles - I guess it's a good thing she didn't fall down and break her ribs.

I suppose her having to wear a corset instead of an ace bandage wouldn't have had the same effect on the viewers.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I like how no one cares when Charles yells at the Reverend about the Bully Boys

"WELL I GUESS WE HAVE NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT THEN DO WE"

"I'm sorry Charles I just can't agree with what you did"

" THEY BROKE MY RIBS KNOW I GET TO WALK AROUND SHIRTLESS!!!!!!!!!! SECRETLY I LOVE IT.!"

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

I like how no one cares when Charles yells at the Reverend about the Bully Boys

"WELL I GUESS WE HAVE NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT THEN DO WE"

"I'm sorry Charles I just can't agree with what you did"

" THEY BROKE MY RIBS KNOW I GET TO WALK AROUND SHIRTLESS!!!!!!!!!! SECRETLY I LOVE IT.!"

'Well,if I tried to fight them and they broke MY ribs then afterwards I had to walk around shirtless, no one would be tuning in. ... er tithing in the collection plate!'

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/31/2023 at 8:27 PM, Superclam said:

I'm watching "As Long as We're Together." The very first scene between Laura and Albert is weirdly flirty. 

It's somewhat true- and did Pa Ingalls truly think a little curtain between their mattresses would  be all it would take re  getting Albert to put all . ..unbrotherly thoughts out of his skull?!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3

I don't understand how Charles didn't put up a wall or a divider between their bed and Carrie's

Also, did Charles even talk to Caroline about Albert living with them?

I can't recall

Did Charles just show up with Albert and say "he's the son I never had, finally a son!!!" (starts crying) and Caroline said "oh great another mouth to feed. Oh how I wish I ran off with Handyman Chris"

On 5/30/2023 at 10:43 PM, Blergh said:

'Well,if I tried to fight them and they broke MY ribs then afterwards I had to walk around shirtless, no one would be tuning in. ... er tithing in the collection plate!'

I always like to imagine Caroline enjoyed being grabbed by the bully boys "Oh so this is what it's like to be have a man be attracted to you. I'm so use to Charles being soft and tender and that awful crying after every sexual encounter"

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 5/30/2023 at 1:48 PM, jird said:

She was also going around flaunting her flesh in temptation’s raiment.

• LOL 3

Actually, what happened with Charles inviting Albert was that they were on the verge of leaving Winoka at  6AM and he and Caroline were washing the hotel's dishes when Charles pondered that he wasn't sure Albert would have wanted to join them. Caroline puts an end to the hemming and hawwing by pointing out that Charles had been drying the SAME dish the whole convo so he needed to just ask Albert if he wanted them to join them-spurring Charles to literally run out there and seek out Albert's spot under the wooden sidewalk to do the invite.

I'll bet more than once Caroline wished she'd just acted obtuse to Charles's hints and let him dry that ONE dish before they just left for Walnut Grove!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
14 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'll bet more than once Caroline wished she'd just acted obtuse to Charles's hints and let him dry that ONE dish before they just left for Walnut Grove!

Especially when Albert killed their grandson.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
3 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Well, to be fair, they only cared about the grandson for that one episode, then they all forgot he'd ever existed.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Always funny to me is when they get back to Walnut Grove and the kids run around to tell everyone about clean up day in the town, not one single time did anyone ask who the heck Albert was.

No introduction by Laura to the other kids like this is Albert, my new brother we brought home as a souvenir from Winoka or anything.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Always funny to me is when they get back to Walnut Grove and the kids run around to tell everyone about clean up day in the town, not one single time did anyone ask who the heck Albert was.

No introduction by Laura to the other kids like this is Albert, my new brother we brought home as a souvenir from Winoka or anything.

Maybe the Walnut Grove folks were hoping Albert was a figment of their imagination and would disappear if they didn't question his residing with the Ingallses.

• LOL 5
On 6/1/2023 at 6:32 AM, jason88cubs said:

Did Charles just show up with Albert and say "he's the son I never had, finally a son!!!" (starts crying) and Caroline said "oh great another mouth to feed. Oh how I wish I ran off with Handyman Chris"

Good thing photographs were not common back then because Albert looks exactly like Charles as a boy. Exactly. Like they were the same person. Mrs. Olsson would have a field day comparing pictures.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
6 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Good thing photographs were not common back then because Albert looks exactly like Charles as a boy. Exactly. Like they were the same person. Mrs. Olsson would have a field day comparing pictures.

The similarities are indeed uncanny! 

Also weird how Grace looks a lot like Buck Rogers. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

The similarities are indeed uncanny! 

Also weird how Grace looks a lot like Buck Rogers. 

I never noticed the slightest resemblance between Bonnie Bartlett and  Gil Gerard!

OK, I know you meant 'Baby' Grace Ingalls but still. . .

• LOL 2
On 6/2/2023 at 11:16 AM, Egg McMuffin said:

Caroline:HOW COULD YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles: Don't you ever raise your voice to MY SON!! That's MY SON!!! Charles Ingalls JR!!

Albert: But Pa my name is Albert

Charles: You don't wanna carry my name? (sits down bawling)

Albert: Well I'd rather be names Chris

Caroline: Oh now THAT'S a manly name!!!!

(Charles gets up and walks out)

Caroline: Where are you going?

Charles: To find a tree to fall out of to break some ribs

• LOL 5

I thought when he went to school, it should have been straightened out, who he was, last name? Then of course, Eliza gives them a family tree project to do...very understanding of her. : )

I always thought Albert should have lived with the Garvey's who had a lot more room and one kid. He could visit Charles and still play with the kids. Laura wouldn't have to have a brother/not brother that close to her in the loft and I wont go there with James and Cassandra. My patience was thin by that time.

He couldn't take the Sanderson's, no, no room or money but he took Albert and then 2 more. Duh.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Caroline:HOW COULD YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles: Don't you ever raise your voice to MY SON!! That's MY SON!!! Charles Ingalls JR!!

Albert: But Pa my name is Albert

Charles: You don't wanna carry my name? (sits down bawling)

Albert: Well I'd rather be names Chris

Caroline: Oh now THAT'S a manly name!!!!

(Charles gets up and walks out)

Caroline: Where are you going?

Charles: To find a tree to fall out of to break some ribs

Caroline: Wait! DON'T do that again, Charles!

Charles: You mean, you forgive my defending Alber. ..er CHUCKY?!

Caroline: No! I mean, you should find a good 'widow-maker' tree like Granville Whipple encountered that'll  fall right on TOP of you!  Don't worry about keeping your shirt on since I'll insist on  throwing a closed-casket funeral!

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, debraran said:

I thought when he went to school, it should have been straightened out, who he was, last name? Then of course, Eliza gives them a family tree project to do...very understanding of her. : )

I always thought Albert should have lived with the Garvey's who had a lot more room and one kid. He could visit Charles and still play with the kids. Laura wouldn't have to have a brother/not brother that close to her in the loft and I wont go there with James and Cassandra. My patience was thin by that time.

He couldn't take the Sanderson's, no, no room or money but he took Albert and then 2 more. Duh.

Agree but I guess ML wanted Albert to be more of a show regular than the Garveys were  but I don't see why they didn't just have Albert sleep in the barn's hay loft like many a farmer's boarder/farmhand did in those days! Moreover, while I could see Charles getting all upset that the laws requiring  parentless minors needing to have official guardians if not adoptive parents having to apply to HIM, I thought it was a bit much that CAROLINE kept ranting against the existence of 'the LAW'. Oddly enough, while they actually tracked down and had the someone depict the somewhat dim Mr. Quinn, they NEVER said WHO Albert's bio mother had been or what had become of her. ..much less WHY she and Mr. Quinn had not been married at the time of Albert's birth! My guess is that one or both of them might have been separated but still married to a legal spouse at the time.

• Like 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

Agree but I guess ML wanted Albert to be more of a show regular than the Garveys were  but I don't see why they didn't just have Albert sleep in the barn's hay loft like many a farmer's boarder/farmhand did in those days! Moreover, while I could see Charles getting all upset that the laws requiring  parentless minors needing to have official guardians if not adoptive parents having to apply to HIM, I thought it was a bit much that CAROLINE kept ranting against the existence of 'the LAW'. Oddly enough, while they actually tracked down and had the someone depict the somewhat dim Mr. Quinn, they NEVER said WHO Albert's bio mother had been or what had become of her. ..much less WHY she and Mr. Quinn had not been married at the time of Albert's birth! My guess is that one or both of them might have been separated but still married to a legal spouse at the time.

A little soap opera_ish but I never thought about his mom, I guess my mind had her dead too, maybe at birth? Did he say why his dad put him in orphanage? I can't say I was heavily invested in his character but it doesn't seem much of a back story. Albert was "blind" when he met him once and then he was dead when he ran away to him, suddenly cured, when he burned the blind school down. Such a weird episode. I guess death was convenient, good thing they were buried often on their own property. I wondered where Charles Jr was buried, you'd see it, but how far from the house. Not really thought about except when Caroline thought she was pregnant along with  Laura and she wasn't.

Yes, ML wanted the drama of Albert living in the same house and later when it was so crowded it was insane. I was thinking the sod house myself over the barn which would be colder. Even if he didn't want to build the little house out, it wasn't designed very well. IF Charles lived, where would he have gone? I know kids slept together back then but having all girls, he made it seem they needed privacy etc. You never saw where Grace slept when she outgrew the cradle and Carrie was still downstairs by the foot of her parents bed. He didn't care, it was about the story, but my mind did go to these things watching again. Sometimes they'd go somewhere at night or during the day and a kid would be missing...no explanation, he just felt no one would notice, a babysitter had Carrie or Grace or they were flying solo. ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1