Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I went to this today

https://www.lincolnsnewsalem.com/

be cool if they had something like this for LHOP

Yes, we have Strubridge about an hour from me. Used to go once a year. If you went early you could almost pretend you were in 1800's town with buggies etc

https://www.osv.org/

Before Covid, they had a place in MA where you could reenact staying at a home in 1800's where you'd dress like them, (no phones) stay in home with what they would have had, pick a chore to do etc. You ate what they would eat and they would teach you things. Pretty cool but I haven't seen it since.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Actually, I can think of a 'pioneer fair' that takes place once a year about a half-hour from my house in a former settlement in which the re-enactors make home crafts (for sale) and explain to the visitors exactly what steps it took to make said crafts. ..as well to survive in those times. Very eye-opening and something LHOTP fans would cherish.

However, I think what would be even better would be an all-age LHTOP boot-camp in which the fans would have to take an entire week  off from 'civilization' to recreate pioneer life. Not only would most very quickly gain respect for what the Ingallses and countless millions had had to go through but they'd understand WHY labor-saving inventions were eagerly embraced by as many knowledgeable folks with monies to spare ASAP!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

However, I think what would be even better would be an all-age LHTOP boot-camp in which the fans would have to take an entire week  off from 'civilization' to recreate pioneer life.

My grandma did that to my cousin and her friend for an afternoon when they were about 10/11, and they decidedly lost all interest in LHOTP style life. LOLOL 

• Like 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

Actually, I can think of a 'pioneer fair' that takes place once a year about a half-hour from my house in a former settlement in which the re-enactors make home crafts (for sale) and explain to the visitors exactly what steps it took to make said crafts. ..as well to survive in those times. Very eye-opening and something LHOTP fans would cherish.

However, I think what would be even better would be an all-age LHTOP boot-camp in which the fans would have to take an entire week  off from 'civilization' to recreate pioneer life. Not only would most very quickly gain respect for what the Ingallses and countless millions had had to go through but they'd understand WHY labor-saving inventions were eagerly embraced by as many knowledgeable folks with monies to spare ASAP!

So true! In reviews for the reenactment mentioned in my post previously, many loved it (one day/night) but many said the reality, even if not the same, was too much and TV really made it seem much easier. Common sense but still.

The hardest was making dinner and some of the chores. It just took so long and uneven with fire vs gas and electric. The beds were ok but hay etc is not pillowtop. ; ) it was nice to disconnect from phones, play simple games, talk at dinner but not "I want this daily" type of thing. It's different from the "green" people now who live off grid with much better technology, clothes, food and solar. If I ever see it again though, I'll post.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Since it's Easter did they ever do a LHOP episode of Easter?

I can't recall

I don't think so- or else they'd have had Carrie say 'Habby Birdy Eater Bummy!'

• LOL 3

On 4/9/2023 at 3:14 PM, jason88cubs said:

Since it's Easter did they ever do a LHOP episode of Easter?

I can't recall

They did do an Easter episode where the Easter Bunny was orphaned, went blind, and then was trapped in house fire and killed.

(all kidding aside, “The Last Farewell” took place in the days leading up to Easter, and Jason actually mentions this when he’s starting his rabbit business.)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Somehow LHOP became a discussion at bar

bartender: Michael Landon was always good looking

patron: He must had great contact lenses

The above is what I thought you were say! LOL

• Like 2

I've read the majority of comments on these 73 pages and it seems like we are all pretty much in agreement for the most part. I basically echo everyone else's exact same sentiments but will add my own personal nuggets from the LHOTP series. First and foremost, all of the Ingalls family were insufferable and utterly annoying. Holier than thou, can do no wrong, but yet always whining, bitching, complaining, etc. about something. Not one bad bone in their bodies. Fully tolerant and accepting of all ethnic groups including Blacks, Native Americans, etc. Sorry but the vast majority of families during this time period were bigoted and prejudiced to some degree or another. I didn't care for the character arcs of Mary and Laura. Both of them come across as whiny, spoiled brats when something doesn't go their way. Laura being a smart aleck whippersnapper who runs away in just about every other episode and Mary always balling and crying and way overreacting to every dilemma the show presented no matter how big or small. Also agree with everyone about the vast assortment of oddball tertiary characters (both children and adults alike) who come and go for only one episode and then are never seen or heard from again. I think between seasons 2 - 5 there were like 100 new kids at the school! LOL!

The character of Mrs. Oleson left a lot to be desired. Bigoted, proud, prejudiced, rich, arrogant, pompous,, (insert whatever) to the umpteenth degree. But what really got under my skin was in the latter seasons when she would always be eavesdropping and wiretapping on everyone's telephone calls and then spread gossip about it! of course that's a major felony in most states nowadays. Are we supposed to believe the whole town of Walnut Grove did nothing to stop her or take any kind of corrective measures? Especially when she's gotten caught several times throughout the series for the very same crime. Sorry guys and gals, but I didn't like Hester Sue. Was her character even necessary? and I know I'm in the minority but her "singing" was god awful! Sounded like a wailing and screaming banshee! kind of like the time I accidentally stepped on my cat when I woke up in the middle of the night to take a leak! Here a couple of funny flubs and flaws on the show that I don't think anyone has mentioned so far. In the older brothers episode  (season 9 EP 14) you can clearly see the rope or string pulling back Geoffrey Lewis after each dynamite explosion! and also did anyone else notice that from seasons 7 -9 when Caroline got her name put on Nellie's restaurant (the red letters on the window) sometimes it would say "Caroline's" and other times it would say "Nellie's"??!!..LMAO! It kept flip flopping back and forth on almost every episode, a lot of times on the very same episode! Also, since the Sylvia rape scene seems to be a popular on this forum but did anyone else notice that even after the town's blacksmith Irv Hartwig (the mime who raped her) was shot and killed by Sylvia's father that his name was still on the sign at the Blacksmith shop for at least several episodes more! I would go as far to say up until John Carter moved in and bought the house from the Ingalls family. Well, that's it for now. I still want to extrapolate some more the show's characters and plots and will do a follow up post when I'm finished watching the series. (currently on season 9)

• Like 1

Have you read the Little House books? Most of the plots in the show never happened to the Ingalls. Laura never ran away from home and Mary never married and had a baby. The Olesons were a composite of people who Laura knew throughout her life and not a real family. I don't like the show as much as I used to because I know the scripts have nothing to do with the Ingalls family.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Have you read the Little House books? Most of the plots in the show never happened to the Ingalls. Laura never ran away from home and Mary never married and had a baby. The Olesons were a composite of people who Laura knew throughout her life and not a real family. I don't like the show as much as I used to because I know the scripts have nothing to do with the Ingalls family.

Hi Kathy,

No, I haven't read the books and don't plan on reading them to be honest with you...but I thought this forum was exclusively for the television series?...I could be mistaken but I was under that impression...The biggest mistake people (generally speaking) make is when they try to compare novels, stories vs. to their respective movie or tv series counterparts. Very seldom will you find two that correlate exactly the same way. The tv shows and movies generally have different adaptations. I'm not the least bit surprised the books of LHOTP are the complete opposite of the TV series...par for the course. Ditto for Harry Potter, Great Expectations, Moby Dick right off the top of my head. 

lol what a rant

I see alot of what you are saying though

Sometimes I wonder why i watch it and I think it's a comfort thing.

There are some really great episodes "Survival" "The Plague" and I love the pilot movie

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

lol what a rant

I see alot of what you are saying though

Sometimes I wonder why i watch it and I think it's a comfort thing.

There are some really great episodes "Survival" "The Plague" and I love the pilot movie

No doubt about it! Survival was hands down and arguably the best episode of the entire series...drama, action, suspense, adventure, etc! It was kind of like watching a horror movie anticipating or having no idea what's going to happen next. One of the very few realistic and entertaining episodes. Ditto for the pilot and plague. but as has already been said on the various LHOTP forums, it's no secret that the first few seasons were the best of the bunch! Unfortunately, as with a lot of several other TV series, the show for all intents and purposes ran it's course and had basically run out of material. Each season had gotten progressively worse which explains the crappy writing and subliminal ridiculous cheesy storylines behind them. Orangutan, Godsister, two guardian angel episodes, bumbling crooks which act like a combination of the keystone cops and three stooges mixed together just to name a few!

Edited by BusterHymen
  • Like 3
17 minutes ago, BusterHymen said:

No doubt about it! Survival was hands down and arguably the best episode of the entire series...drama, action, suspense, adventure, etc! It was kind of like watching a horror movie anticipating or having no idea what's going to happen next. One of the very few realistic and entertaining episodes. Ditto for the pilot and plague. but as has already been said on the various LHOTP forums, it's no secret that the first few seasons were the best of the bunch! Unfortunately, as with a lot of several other TV series, the show for all intents and purposes ran it's course and had basically run out of material. Each season had gotten progressively worse which explains the crappy writing and subliminal ridiculous cheesy storylines behind them. Orangutan, Godsister, two guardian angel episodes, bumbling crooks which act like a combination of the keystone cops and three stooges mixed together just to name a few!

Once they went to Winoka they lost me

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

I watched for the Olesons.  The TV show Oleson family was a brilliant addition to the show.

There are so many episodes that, IMO, would be much more interesting if it focused on the Olesons rather than the Ingalls. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 4

Ironically, when I was first watching it as a kid (and doing my best to avoid getting frustrated with how it veered off 'The Books'), I liked the Ingalls family and loathed Nellie and Harriet while enjoying their comeuppances.

However, as I've gotten older, I see the Ingallses as being far more self-righteous up to and sometimes beyond being hypocritical while Nellie and Harriet more or less showed their true, sneaky colors throughout . The banter between Harriet and Nels seemed more fun overall than with Charles& Caroline, Jonathan& Alice. . Until they decided to trash their characters, Isaiah and Grace Snyder Edwards actually had the most fun of the 'good guy' couples!

Yeah, I know that the Ingallses were more fair-minded to African-Americans, Native Americans, Jews and even Catholics than many folks in that time and place but I found that somewhat refreshing (even if it wasn't what typical of the attitudes encountered back then).

Anyway, I can see why this show has been a comfort to folks for nearly five decades in virtually every corner of the world it's ever been broadcast!

• Like 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

However, as I've gotten older, I see the Ingallses as being far more self-righteous up to and sometimes beyond being hypocritical while Nellie and Harriet more or less showed their true, sneaky colors throughout . The banter between Harriet and Nels seemed more fun overall than with Charles& Caroline, Jonathan& Alice.

I also feel like the fact they keep expecting Harriet to not do what she always does and then getting mad when when she does what she always does says more about their brains than her character. You know she's a hateful bitch. Why are you surprised she's once again being a hateful bitch? 

That being said, I feel like a lot of the writing for her is super lazy. It's not okay to make fun of fat people unless they're Harriet, who's not even overweight. She's absolutely loathsome until the script needs her to be more sympathetic. They paint her as a complete harridan, but then also try to frame it so you root for the Olesens to stay together. It's just silly. 

I think she's actually more interesting (and more insidious because it's so believable) when she's a garden variety asshole who's fairly sharp at business but terrible at customer service because she's so petty rather than when she's being over-the-top bad.  

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
31 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I never liked how it seemed Laura was able to play jokes and be mean and Charles would turn the other way

Laura was a horrible child and Charles would not care what she did. It was so irritating!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That's the difference between book Laura and tv Laura. Book Laura was devoted to her parents and was a hard worker especially after Mary became blind. The tv series was a showcase for Michael Landon not an Ingalls biography.

• Like 5
(edited)

I've never gotten over Laura trespassing on the hermit miner's property and then screaming at him when he doesn't want her there. It's not your property. You don't have a God-given right to be there. She actually does that a lot. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5
51 minutes ago, Zella said:

I've never gotten over Laura trespassing on the hermit miner's property and then screaming at him when he doesn't want her there. It's not your property. You don't have a God-given right to be there. She actually does that a lot. 

I like when Laura stole Nellie's doll or whatever, then Nellie punished Laura herself(which was bad) and when Laura reported it to Nels, Charles said Nels could decide the punishment and Nels said you've been punised enough and Charles just said"Ok time to go to school!"

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Zella said:

Not to mention, she'd just found out that the poor miner had someone (one of her classmate's fathers) STEAL the gold under the creekbed he had used as a resting place for his beloved late wife  desecrating her resting place(and Laura had blabbed the poignant memorial all over the school like it was a fairy tale). Not only did she not have zero right to have screamed at him when he was clearly extremely shattered and upset (for good reason) but what on Earth did she think she could say to him that would possibly have made up for her having been a blabbermouth especially after he WARNED her how greed made folks do terrible things!

I'm not sure Charles covering up the horrific aftermath of him burning himself to death to follow his wife but faking to Laura that somehow CHARLES had been able to get the miner to think Laura was ginger-peachy again was the best course of action. I mean, yes, it would have been an incredibly hard burden to know that one's big mouth had contributed to the chain of events that led to a suicide. OTOH, maybe if Laura HAD known just how horrible the outcome of gossip CAN be, maybe she'd have been far less inclined to have grown up to be a nosy, meddlesome bully.

Still, Charles told Caroline the awful truth but implored her to keep it a secret from Laura. Hence, if what was depicted in LHOTP was supposed to be what Laura (the character) knew then how did she find out? Did Caroline  eventually blab it -possibly due to disliking how much of a meddler her daughter had become?

• Applause 1
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Not to mention, she'd just found out that the poor miner had someone (one of her classmate's fathers) STEAL the gold under the creekbed he had used as a resting place for his beloved late wife  desecrating her resting place(and Laura had blabbed the poignant memorial all over the school like it was a fairy tale). Not only did she not have zero right to have screamed at him when he was clearly extremely shattered and upset (for good reason) but what on Earth did she think she could say to him that would possibly have made up for her having been a blabbermouth especially after he WARNED her how greed made folks do terrible things!

I'd somehow blocked out all of the background but was just left with residual seething rage at her behavior that makes even more sense after you reminded me of all the details. 

I really liked Laura in the first couple of seasons, but after that, I thought she was absolutely insufferable. By the end, she was my least favorite part of the entire show. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

That goldmining two-parter is so weird and dreary. Plus, at the end, the Edwards leave and all of a sudden the Garveys are there with no explanation at all. That always bugged me. I rewound the ending to see if the Edwards mention leaving at all, but I never find it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Superclam said:

That always bugged me. I rewound the ending to see if the Edwards mention leaving at all, but I never find it. 

I think Victor French left the show to be in his own TV show that same year, and it was only after that was cancelled that he returned. So, they may well have fully intended for the Edwards to be back in Walnut Grove with the Ingalls the next season when they wrote and filmed that episode. Then the next season, he wasn't available, so we get the Garveys rather than them trying to write around Mr. Edwards being gone and the rest of the family still being around. 

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Zella said:

I think Victor French left the show to be in his own TV show that same year, and it was only after that was cancelled that he returned. So, they may well have fully intended for the Edwards to be back in Walnut Grove with the Ingalls the next season when they wrote and filmed that episode. Then the next season, he wasn't available, so we get the Garveys rather than them trying to write around Mr. Edwards being gone and the rest of the family still being around. 

Yes, that's right! I believe that ML thought that Mr. French (as well as Miss Bartlett and the performers playing their adopted kids) were all coming back but then Mr. French acceped the offer to star  in Carter Country  during LHOTP's hiatus which resulted in ML suddenly having not just Isaiah but also Grace Snyder Edwards as well as their younger adopted kids Carl and Alicia not return to the show for the time being. I wonder if he ever considered having  Grace widowed a 2nd time but didn't want to hear the outcry from viewers about 'killing off' Mr. Edwards? Well, after Mr. French evidently did his mea culpas to ML and got his job back, as it turned out that  their eldest adopted son John Sanderson, Jr.  (who oddly everyone called 'John, Jr.' LONG after his John, Sr. had died . .and had never been depicted on the show ) got killed off and Carl amscrayed then Grace got recast before she cast off Isaiah so Mr. French came back rootless. 

• Like 1

My problem was that the Garveys were just there, like they always lived there. They didn't even show them moving to town. Garvey was working at the mill and was Charles' friend and we just had to accept it. 

On another note, I was very young, but I remember Carter Country. I don't remember any episodes except a racist trailer about fried chicken. I read the wikipedia synopsis today, and yeesh.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 5/11/2023 at 10:31 PM, Zella said:

I'd somehow blocked out all of the background but was just left with residual seething rage at her behavior that makes even more sense after you reminded me of all the details. 

I really liked Laura in the first couple of seasons, but after that, I thought she was absolutely insufferable. By the end, she was my least favorite part of the entire show. 

I felt the same way, not with books but with show. I was  scrappy kid but not like her and not as docile as Mary. Laura got away with stuff all the time and because of not wanting to cast a regular underpaid friend on a regular basis (always money in talks about cast) she had adult friends or friends for a day. She acted like she was 30 and then when she was older with Almonzo, she acted like a child. Always ranting about something, whining or complaining. Even what she did to Almonzo's "date" was awful but it was Laura...the chicken the same. Ha Ha, I didn't get what I wanted, so I act nasty. Mary though was always held above holy and if she did anything wrong was punished harshly. I think reading in the barn was bad but it wasn't accumulative.

On 5/11/2023 at 1:24 PM, Zella said:

That poor girl in the rape/mime episode, not discussing it, gets hurt but Laura does so many dumb things and never is. I didn't want her to be but when you think about the risks she took, she was lucky. She was a young child when she ran away with Charles Jr birth and cheesy and predictable, stayed safe with her Jonathan angel. Then she takes off with the boy with leukemia without thought of how her parents would feel (although not alone) and pushes Albert to run away before that because it's still "all about me" and the rest of the kids can't be first ever. Insufferable. I tried but couldn't like her.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, debraran said:

I felt the same way, not with books but with show. I was  scrappy kid but not like her and not as docile as Mary. Laura got away with stuff all the time and because of not wanting to cast a regular underpaid friend on a regular basis (always money in talks about cast) she had adult friends or friends for a day. She acted like she was 30 and then when she was older with Almonzo, she acted like a child. Always ranting about something, whining or complaining. Even what she did to Almonzo's "date" was awful but it was Laura...the chicken the same. Ha Ha, I didn't get what I wanted, so I act nasty. Mary though was always held above holy and if she did anything wrong was punished harshly. I think reading in the barn was bad but it wasn't accumulative.

Yep I never had that impression of her in the books either. I rather liked her throughout the books, and I actually found the book depiction of her relationship with Almanzo to be incredibly charming. I was looking forward to it in the show, despite having become exasperated with her, and that was when I finally reached my snapping point with her. She was so embarrassing and ridiculous! 

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Superclam said:

My problem was that the Garveys were just there, like they always lived there. They didn't even show them moving to town. Garvey was working at the mill and was Charles' friend and we just had to accept it. 

On another note, I was very young, but I remember Carter Country. I don't remember any episodes except a racist trailer about fried chicken. I read the wikipedia synopsis today, and yeesh.

I was alive back then and had the misfortune of tuning into a time or so- thinking that since Carter Country was a Norman Lear production, it would be intelligent, humorous and fair-minded in its approach to different ethnicities interacting in the US South. Guess what? It proved a total fail in all the above criteria to the point that I quit watching without the slightest regret (someone on another Subforum said that they liked the mayor's catchphrase of 'Handle it! Handle it!' but even that at best was barely worth a feeble, labored chuckle instead of being close to a sidesplitter).  I didn't blame Mr. French one bit for evidently kicking himself for having jumped the LHOTP ship for THAT and then doing his mea culpas to ML who took him back and even had him be his human bestie/sidekick in HtH.

• Like 2

I randomly thought of the episode where Charles gets a bunch of money from his Uncle but it's confederate money and Charles has to sell everything since he failed at cash on a barrel again since he bought a bunch of stuff for people who asked for things

Then they bough Charles stuff for cheap and sold it back to him

• Like 4
5 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I randomly thought of the episode where Charles gets a bunch of money from his Uncle but it's confederate money and Charles has to sell everything since he failed at cash on a barrel again since he bought a bunch of stuff for people who asked for things

Then they bough Charles stuff for cheap and sold it back to him

Not to mention, prevented the Ingallses from having their farm bought by outsiders- even though this meant that the Olesons  and virtually everyone else in Walnut Grove took big fiscal blows to keep the Ingallses from sinking via spending more than what they believed they'd had in hand at the time!

No wonder the whole town wound up sitting ducks with nothing but goose eggs to show for it X months later when they [temporarily] were driven out of Walnut Grove and had to try to restart anew in Winoka, et. al- but no one ever considered how the Ingallses' spendthrift ways (and everyone else bailing them out) contributed to the town's downfall!

• Like 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

no one ever considered how the Ingallses' spendthrift ways (and everyone else bailing them out) contributed to the town's downfall!

This reminds me of how mad Pa gets when Harriet won't give him store credit when he's new in town, despite the fact that she has perfectly prudent and commonsense reasons for doing so. As she explains to him, they only extend credit to farmers they know and even then it's not all of them because of the history that people's farms have of failing. She doesn't know him and he's new to the area, so of course he's not getting credit. 

The funniest part to me is she talks about how they'll run up credit and then run off in the night to avoid paying the debt, and he indignantly says he wouldn't do that. But the real Charles Ingalls totally did when it came to avoiding paying rent at least once.  

Edited by Zella
  • Like 6
23 hours ago, Zella said:

This reminds me of how mad Pa gets when Harriet won't give him store credit when he's new in town, despite the fact that she has perfectly prudent and commonsense reasons for doing so. As she explains to him, they only extend credit to farmers they know and even then it's not all of them because of the history that people's farms have of failing. She doesn't know him and he's new to the area, so of course he's not getting credit. 

The funniest part to me is she talks about how they'll run up credit and then run off in the night to avoid paying the debt, and he indignantly says he wouldn't do that. But the real Charles Ingalls totally did when it came to avoiding paying rent at least once.  

also how they nicely explained how they couldn't give him credit and he stormed out of there.."I UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

surprised he didn't throw himself off the steps and break his ribs

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

"I'M CHARLES INGALLS! THE PROFESSIONAL MARTYR OF MINNESOTA AND I DEMAND FINANCING!" 

25 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I can't stop laughing at this! LOLOLOL 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

also how they nicely explained how they couldn't give him credit and he stormed out of there.."I UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I, too, am surprised at Pa-Messiah's restraint. After all, any excuse to bare his manly chest.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
35 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I, too, am surprised at Pa-Messiah's restraint. After all, any excuse to bare his manly chest.

I almost typed "I'M CHARLES INGALLS! THE PROFESSIONAL MARTYR OF MINNESOTA AND I DEMAND SATISFACTION!" before realizing that having a credit account at the store would not give Charles anywhere near as much satisfaction as a chance to be martyred, break his ribs, and bare his chest. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

and then falls out the tree, break his ribs, almost breaks his contract THAT HE WILLINGLY SIGNED, and the other guy is the bad guy

No wonder why Charles said"we're home girls" as everyone did his work for him

He probably had the whole thing planned!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I always like in "Barn Burner" when  the judge asks the Rev. to pick someone to pick a jury and he instantly picks Charles as  the most honorable person and he looks around shocked

BS Charles. You couldn't wait to go home and tell Caroline as Uncle Chris scampered off

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
7 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

and then falls out the tree, break his ribs, almost breaks his contract THAT HE WILLINGLY SIGNED, and the other guy is the bad guy

No wonder why Charles said"we're home girls" as everyone did his work for him

He probably had the whole thing planned!!

Caroline: Charles, it would a LOT easier to mend the broken kite or even make a new one than it would for you to mend those ribs!

Charles: It's either broken ribs with an ace bandage- or the audience has to see me topless the rest of the series!

Caroline: No, not THAT! We'll be cancelled in one episode  with the whole show winding up a gag reel on something called Ewe Toot!

• LOL 3
(edited)

I sometimes have random thoughts on the poor Oleson's store when I think of it realistically and not TV. The number of times they lost money. They gave a very real and very honest explanation of why with all these goods, we can't loan them to everyone and hope we get paid. We just met you. (I read your book!) The only money they got was from markup but they bought a lot of merchandise. There were times when credit was so bad they had to say "enough". They aren't Santa Claus and viewers would be "how mean" Think of the times during the health epidemics when they donated and didn't get back blankets and medicine and other things. They always donated coats or lamps when looking for kids or Carrie in the well....so many shows "Nels and sometimes Harriet said "Anything you want".  How did those things get replaced? No one bought them. Even the funny show where the sweet Ingall's kids had Nel's lose merchandise with 100% off sale to get back at his wife. Did they return all the expensive clocks and fabric etc. Did they feel it was their right to hurt both of them but of course Laura was always right and Albert could do no wrong. (not defending Harriet but this was Nel's too)

Just random thoughts of binging once and seeing so many times they stepped up to the plate and didn't get anything but thank you in return. In real life that would be hard for a store that size.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
(edited)
On 5/14/2023 at 10:38 AM, Zella said:

I have to wonder if ML had known that RL CI had done that at the time of the episode.

Of course, I know that he quickly veered off 'The Books' to make his own often warped vision of the Ingallses and Walnut Grove but I wonder if he bothered to do any thorough research in the Ingallses' bios- beyond just glancing at book series' somewhat shilly notes 'about the author'.  The closest evidence I can think of him possibly having done so was at  the close of  the later season episode when the young married mother Laura  toyed with the idea of writing a totally fictional book about her family but then decided to stick to her integrity and only write 'the truth'. Anyway ML himself narrated that RL Mrs. Wilder would publish the first of her Little House books in her 60's and then showed one of the then-preteen  Landon daughters running into a then-contemporary early 1980's public library and picking  one of Mrs. Wilder's books off a shelf. Oddly enough, I thought having ML instead of MG as Laura do the narration seemed a bit intrusive!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4

I’ve said before in this forum that it would be fun to see a LHOTP reboot told from the point of view of the Olesons (a la Wicked). We’d see the ugly, retaliatory side of the Ingalls clan, which justifies cruel treatment of the Olesons when the Ingalls think the Olesons deserve it (poison ivy, angry bees, “cinnamon” chicken, fake newspaper advertisements, etc).

• Like 7