Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

On 2/16/2023 at 5:56 PM, jird said:

Caught the end of Meet Me at thr Fair, and I forgot how much I love Mary's SUPER-DRAMATIC delivery of the line, "All you care about is your balloon!" 😄

Which had one of the biggest anachronistic goofs of the whole series:  As per the United States's Federal Aviation guidelines for  the past X number of decades, ALL aircraft flown in US airspace MUST display their registration number starting with N_______. OK, fine but  Cass's balloon had that number on full display at least 25 years before the Wright Brothers had even invented their airplane- never mind how long before the FAA's creation! LOL

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Speaking of anachronistic goofs, that same episode has another oops!

When Patrick is hanging under the balloon trying to bring it back down with Carrie in it, tire tracks from the camera truck can clearly be seen in the grass.

One might give the tracks the benefit of the doubt via imagining that they're from very wide wagons with funny wheels.

However, I still don't get why no one thought to cover the balloon's FAA registration number with a banner,etc. for the duration of the filming. It's not as though they were planning to fly it to LAX with Carrie onboard!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

So after me and my girlfriend finish the show we are watching now I think I'm gonna have her watch LHOP and get her opinion on each episode

Had she never seen the show before ? Regardless, that should be interesting (and if you want to share some of her insights, I for one would welcome them here).

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Blergh said:

Had she never seen the show before ? Regardless, that should be interesting (and if you want to share some of her insights, I for one would welcome them here).

I think she has seen a few but not all of em lol

• Like 1

Albert just burned down the blind school, and I will never ever stop being mad that everyone left the baby in a burning building.

Also, "Darkness is My Friend" was on before this, and all I can think is that they say darkness is their friend now, but next week darkness won't even be in the episode and they'll all have forgotten about darkness, like every other Ingalls friend.

• Like 3

I'm probably in the minority but I always wished Michael had Mary and Adam not have a baby they'd have a hard time bringing up without help but adopt one of the many kids, one who is blind, that don't have a parent. They would have a child already accustomed to not seeing and they can teach it the way they saw things. Instead he kept having her lose the baby in some way.  Then if he wrote them off, they can be living at a school somewhere and we wouldn't have miracle seeing and Mary without a plot.

I always thought a great sequel/special would have been Nellie and Percival and the twins in a city with Mary and Adam and others visit.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Charlotte Stewart, along with some from The Waltons, will be visiting my town in April

Of course she's also in TREMORS, my favorite movie of all time so maybe I can ask her 1,000 questions about that

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Charlotte Stewart, along with some from The Waltons, will be visiting my town in April

Of course she's also in TREMORS, my favorite movie of all time so maybe I can ask her 1,000 questions about that

I LOVE Tremors! It's one of my favorite movies. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, debraran said:

I'm probably in the minority but I always wished Michael had Mary and Adam not have a baby they'd have a hard time bringing up without help but adopt one of the many kids, one who is blind, that don't have a parent. They would have a child already accustomed to not seeing and they can teach it the way they saw things. Instead he kept having her lose the baby in some way.  Then if he wrote them off, they can be living at a school somewhere and we wouldn't have miracle seeing and Mary without a plot.

I always thought a great sequel/special would have been Nellie and Percival and the twins in a city with Mary and Adam and others visit.

Technically, I would agree with you (and, as I've said, it's odd that at no point does Charles or Nels ask how their respective daughters and sons-in-law are faring in New York nor pass their best regards to these previously known entities).

However, since Nellie and Percival/Isaac were essentially comic relief while Mary and Adam were . .. drama llamas (and I can think of only a single time Nellie and Adam had dialogue  and no time when Mary and Percival or Adam or Percival  had any) I guess ML  literally couldn't imagine the Dalton/Cohens and the Kendalls interacting with each other in a new city when they hadn't truly done so in Walnut Grove.

• Like 2

Mary shouldn't have been married and had a baby since the real Mary was single. Mary could have been a teacher at the state school for the blind.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Technically, I would agree with you (and, as I've said, it's odd that at no point does Charles or Nels ask how their respective daughters and sons-in-law are faring in New York nor pass their best regards to these previously known entities).

However, since Nellie and Percival/Isaac were essentially comic relief while Mary and Adam were . .. drama llamas (and I can think of only a single time Nellie and Adam had dialogue  and no time when Mary and Percival or Adam or Percival  had any) I guess ML  literally couldn't imagine the Dalton/Cohens and the Kendalls interacting with each other in a new city when they hadn't truly done so in Walnut Grove.

True but they could have, he chose to have some actors just not interact as much. Might have made less boring conversation.

I know especially today, you can have a lot of help being blind, but then to marry, to have both blind raising a seeing child since they both weren't born blind, seemed like just a vehicle back then, to make a few more episodes and sand storms. ; ) They acted like Mary was dumb in wondering how she would care for a child. (or children)

I know later, Steve was sick but then, even if Nellie was "mature" and married, she was still funny and they had chemistry. What a loss to give her a bad wig (never in short supply) and have her leave. Willie I liked, but his marriage was more boring except for the engagement. I never liked Laura married and really think it would have been fun to have them in some episodes. I still enjoy Percival episodes and the pig farmer and Nellie, hysterical. My sister not even a fan remembers that episode, "Make her a widow!!" lol

Mike didn't like specials or reunions, he thought it was a place to have fans see how old everyone got, but I thought a Thanksgiving were they all met in the city, you got to see how everyone was doing, not too many years later, would have been a ratings winner for sure.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 3/3/2023 at 5:12 AM, debraran said:

Mike didn't like specials or reunions, he thought it was a place to have fans see how old everyone got, but I thought a Thanksgiving were they all met in the city, you got to see how everyone was doing, not too many years later, would have been a ratings winner for sure.

That was very selfish of him! He could have taken a page from other series that did TV movies. How about Little House on the Prairie Goes to Paris, where Miss Beadle takes Laura, Mary, Nellie, and Willie to the City of Light on a student exchange program? Or perhaps A Very Ingalls Christmas, which focuses on the Ingalls family coming together for the holidays and dealing with their own personal problems (Adam and Mary can’t conceive, Zaldamo has lost his job, Charles gets trapped in a cave in and Caroline works a miracle with her voice).

Edited by Egg McMuffin
  • LOL 2
On 3/3/2023 at 11:21 PM, Egg McMuffin said:

That was very selfish of him! He could have taken a page from other series that did TV movies. How about Little House on the Prairie Goes to Paris, where Miss Beadle takes Laura, Mary, Nellie, and Willie to the City of Light on a student exchange program? Or perhaps A Very Ingalls Christmas, which focuses on the Ingalls family coming together for the holidays and dealing with their own personal problems (Adam and Mary can’t conceive, Zaldamo has lost his job, Charles gets trapped in a cave in and Caroline works a miracle with her voice).

I do legitimately think that Rose would have been the focus of a spinoff in the mid-90's if Michael Landon hadn't passed away in 1991. I could have see it being something akin to Road to Avonlea:

But like, with a lot more death and consumption. Little House has had a very good afterlife, enough that there were two separate mini-series. 

So, the drunk driving episode is on (the one where Mr. Edwards gets all tanked and Albert falls off the wagon and jacks up his leg), and Doc Baker says, "I've given him morphine for the pain."

So now we know - Doc Baker is the one who started him down the road to drug addiction!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, jird said:

So, the drunk driving episode is on (the one where Mr. Edwards gets all tanked and Albert falls off the wagon and jacks up his leg), and Doc Baker says, "I've given him morphine for the pain."

So now we know - Doc Baker is the one who started him down the road to drug addiction!

It also must be said that it never gets acknowledged that Albert likely had to deal with a great deal of pain for quite some time thereafter.

As much as I liked Isaiah, I didn't blame Charles one bit for initially ending the friendship after he'd nearly killed the latter's son due to drunk [wagon] driving!

OTOH, considering how much of a 'functional' alcoholic ML was behind the scenes that virtually all his surviving co-stars have attested to, it seems a bit hypocritical for Charles to have been such a fanatical teetotaller. I only hope that ML always had  others driving him back to his house after getting  looped on the set.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

It also must be said that it never gets acknowledged that Albert likely had to deal with a great deal of pain for quite some time thereafter.

As much as I liked Isaiah, I didn't blame Charles one bit for initially ending the friendship after he'd nearly killed the latter's son due to drunk [wagon] driving!

OTOH, considering how much of a 'functional' alcoholic ML was behind the scenes that virtually all his surviving co-stars have attested to, it seems a bit hypocritical for Charles to have been such a fanatical teetotaller. I only hope that ML always had  others driving him back to his house after getting  looped on the set.

A lot of stars indulged but even the kids caught on the "coffee" they drank wasn't coffee. It's kind of sad though that something controls you so much. Alcohol is one of those accepted drugs that people laugh about and say "I need a drink" but when you can't go a day without it, when you need it, no amount of fame or money makes an addiction better. He was honest in thinking it might have had to do with his cancer, that and smoking but people get pancreatic cancer all the time without those risk factors. That's why I learned young, no matter how glossy someone looks on a magazine cover, they are all suffer the same failings. It buys security but that's it.

Charles was against drinking on the show, he also had every young/old relationship end over and over again although he did the same thing off the set. I always wondered why, just because he thought it was right or just what he thought the viewers wanted. I know he did it out of anger but the worst comment he made (to me) about affair and marriage later to Cindy, was he once stated he believes Charles wouldn’t have stayed marriage to Caroline if the character had the option. According to People, Landon once stated he didn’t think the characters would’ve stayed together “except that it was a long way to the next house in those days.”

I'm sorry he had 3 marriages and many issues but some of them we bring to the table, it's not "marriage" it's our own demons.

I'm glad he did show marriages on the show could sustain and even when Caroline had Chris show her she was not invisible and Charles had his flirtation with women, they were loyal to each other.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, jird said:

LOL. And if Doc Baker prescribed it, it was morPHINE. The way he pronounces it always cracks me up, with the emphasis on the second syllable.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 3/10/2023 at 4:50 AM, debraran said:

A lot of stars indulged but even the kids caught on the "coffee" they drank wasn't coffee. It's kind of sad though that something controls you so much. Alcohol is one of those accepted drugs that people laugh about and say "I need a drink" but when you can't go a day without it, when you need it, no amount of fame or money makes an addiction better. He was honest in thinking it might have had to do with his cancer, that and smoking but people get pancreatic cancer all the time without those risk factors. That's why I learned young, no matter how glossy someone looks on a magazine cover, they are all suffer the same failings. It buys security but that's it.

Charles was against drinking on the show, he also had every young/old relationship end over and over again although he did the same thing off the set. I always wondered why, just because he thought it was right or just what he thought the viewers wanted. I know he did it out of anger but the worst comment he made (to me) about affair and marriage later to Cindy, was he once stated he believes Charles wouldn’t have stayed marriage to Caroline if the character had the option. According to People, Landon once stated he didn’t think the characters would’ve stayed together “except that it was a long way to the next house in those days.”

I'm sorry he had 3 marriages and many issues but some of them we bring to the table, it's not "marriage" it's our own demons.

I'm glad he did show marriages on the show could sustain and even when Caroline had Chris show her she was not invisible and Charles had his flirtation with women, they were loyal to each other.

There have been adulterers and couples informally  but permanently separating from Time Immemorial even in places where folks lived far apart from each other.

However, by ALL accounts (including the recent exhaustive scholarly tomes), for all of RL Charles Ingalls's faults, flightiness and erratic income , he and Caroline Quiner Ingalls DID have a mutually faithful monogamous union.

I definitely believe that ML was trying to self-justify his having sabotaged his own [2nd]union via attempting to refuse to credit others for having had faithful unions despite the odds that have always existed!

• Like 3

I'm 35 and I always find it amusing when I tell people i watch this show, or The Waltons, they cat surprised

I mean, it's a wholesome show that doesn't have sex, violence (besides the occasional rib breaking) and has some moments that really make ya think

• Like 2

I thought LHOTP was wholesome until I watched it. ;) The first few seasons are, but between the mime rape, Pa's broken ribs, the burning baby battering ram, and the phallic statue that heals Albert, there's a lot that makes me go "Hmm." LOL 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
On 3/19/2023 at 8:56 PM, Superclam said:

Thanks for that, not too much new for me, but I didn't know they turned her down for some negotiation on her contract. Who wouldn't want a little time off but then I remembered Mike didn't want Karen doing a movie or TV show either and I think she lost one. it's not like most are in every episode or very long. Some short scenes of giving lunch boxes to family or asking for coffee could have been filmed ahead. Maybe it would have been much better (I can't watch most of later ones) if she stayed with a little incentive.

I'm glad she disliked the stuttering episode...lol, that was pretty awful. Laura should have owned up to taking the music box and I thought it was odd she ended up being "punished enough" for lying.

I don't think the show is a mystery for lasting so long. Fans delete the awful shows from their minds or watching and nothing beats the earlier ones for a break from the constant barrage of sex, violence, death and reality shows on TV/streaming.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I'm glad she disliked the stuttering episode...lol, that was pretty awful. Laura should have owned up to taking the music box and I thought it was odd she ended up being "punished enough" for lying.

I

Laura never seemed to get punished for anything she did wrong. Pa seemed to think she was the best thing since sliced bread, LOL.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

The phallic monument actually healed James, not Albert. That and Pa’s manly beard. The things one remembers. 

Thank you! I second guessed putting Albert but couldn't remember anyone else's name that fit the bill. 😂😂😂😂😂

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Zella said:

Thank you! I second guessed putting Albert but couldn't remember anyone else's name that fit the bill. 😂😂😂😂😂

I'm sure Pa-Messiah would have built a phallic shrine for Albert as well if his manfully shouting "let it out!" hadn't worked to make Albert barf up drugs.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
On 3/21/2023 at 4:02 AM, debraran said:

Thanks for that, not too much new for me, but I didn't know they turned her down for some negotiation on her contract. Who wouldn't want a little time off but then I remembered Mike didn't want Karen doing a movie or TV show either and I think she lost one. it's not like most are in every episode or very long. Some short scenes of giving lunch boxes to family or asking for coffee could have been filmed ahead. Maybe it would have been much better (I can't watch most of later ones) if she stayed with a little incentive.

I don't think the show is a mystery for lasting so long. Fans delete the awful shows from their minds or watching and nothing beats the earlier ones for a break from the constant barrage of sex, violence, death and reality shows on TV/streaming.

Yes, I'd read before that since Miss Arngrim herself had had a stuttering problem as a young child,she considered having Nellie deliberately make a stuttering child cry was the WORST act they had Nellie do! One thing I picked up is that, so far, she is the ONLY LHOTP cast member who seemed to understand if not like ML's blowing up almost all the Walnut Grove buildings. I mean, everyone else who has gone on record about the final destruction seems to have been bewildered and/or upset that he did that but Miss Arngrim (who was nowhere near the scene of the blowup) seemed to shrug it off as a boyish act on his part.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 1
On 3/21/2023 at 8:07 AM, andidante said:

Laura never seemed to get punished for anything she did wrong. Pa seemed to think she was the best thing since sliced bread, LOL.

the only punishment I remember was Mary for burning down the barn.  And Pa was out of town, so Ma meted that one out.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I'm sure Pa-Messiah would have built a phallic shrine for Albert as well if his manfully shouting "let it out!" hadn't worked to make Albert barf up drugs.

But when Albert was actually dying, Pa didn't build him a shrine, he just shook Laura and made her say "My brother is going to die!" 😂

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

the only punishment I remember was Mary for burning down the barn.  And Pa was out of town, so Ma meted that one out.

Yes, he threatened to hit her a couple of times for disobeying, visiting the old people he told her not too, the found baby episode maybe. Mary was at least trying to learn, to be educated, Laura was always just doing what Laura wanted to do. I felt bad for Mary especially seeing Pa's "half pint" always get away with things. Mary shouldn't have listened to her,  but even in The Gift, Laura had a dumb idea to sell elixirs but it was "fine" later. Rev Alden was kind.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3
On 1/22/2023 at 1:37 PM, debraran said:

I just saw beginning of Albert's addiction episode. I only like the beginning. I thought the glance at old home was sad and Charles is like "looks like they are keeping it up well". Yes, not renting or doing Airbnb. ; )

I forgot for a moment how Charles had to blame the city for Albert's addiction and bad behavior. That was only reason. Albert had a goal to be a doctor, was smart, could have "interned" with local doc, but Mike wanted an addiction story after his child had trouble. Don't blame the city though, many kids in the city weren't addicts and what about James and his other children? Were they all doomed?

I know peer pressure can be hard but I never bought Albert wanting to fit in that way. Willie would have been even harder to see but Albert wasn't a country bumpkin, he lived in orphanages and on the street for a while.

You are onto something there. Albert could have interned, seen the doctor get more energy, second wind after using morphine and Albert would think - hey why not try it myself?  If local doc can do it, so can i.  His child could be in trouble for stealing and addiction and gone back to W.G.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes, he threatened to hit her a couple of times for disobeying, visiting the old people he told her not too, the found baby episode maybe. Mary was at least trying to learn, to be educated, Laura was always just doing what Laura wanted to do. I felt bad for Mary especially seeing Pa's "half pint" always get away with things. Mary shouldn't have listened to her,  but even in The Gift, Laura had a dumb idea to sell elixirs but it was "fine" later. Rev Alden was kind.

Let's not forget that when the semi-crippled Isaiah threatened to kill himself to end his own depression and Laura begged Charles NOT to leave Isaiah alone in that state, Charles DID slap her face on the grounds that he didn't need her 'falling apart'..

Yeah, Laura had no reason to beg Charles  not to leave Isaiah alone in that state much less 'fall apart'. YEESH!

Seriously, I know Laura could get overdramatic at time but. .why wouldn't she have gotten upset over that declaration?!

• Like 3
On 3/22/2023 at 2:55 AM, Blergh said:

Yes, I'd read before that since Miss Arngrim herself had had a stuttering problem as a young child,she considered having Nellie deliberately make a stuttering child cry was the WORST act they had Nellie do! One thing I picked up is that, so far, she is the ONLY LHOTP cast member who seemed to understand if not like ML's blowing up almost all the Walnut Grove buildings. I mean, everyone else who has gone on record about the final destruction seems to have been bewildered and/or upset that he did that but Miss Arngrim (who was nowhere near the scene of the blowup) seemed to shrug it off as a boyish act on his part.

Maybe that is (partly) the reason for her different attitude. She wasn't there witnessing it happen for real, for her it was just a nice piece of an action scene. Just a way to go out with a bang.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I'm glad they didn't blow up church/school and little house but sad it ended up in "Mr Carters" barn. I'm not sure what he wanted to do with it, but maybe I would have used it for a play house for kids : )

I have to remember the one out there before fires was a duplicate and inside was different because they filmed most of that on set. I sometime look for mistakes because of that. I heard on The Gift the girls are wearing different clothes in one scene and then walking another but need to check that out another time.

I'm not sure who Michael didn't want using the buildings, they were shells mostly, but it was a dramatic ending making sure no one ever returned there again, no specials, movie etc.

• Useful 1
On 3/24/2023 at 4:03 AM, debraran said:

I'm glad they didn't blow up church/school and little house but sad it ended up in "Mr Carters" barn. I'm not sure what he wanted to do with it, but maybe I would have used it for a play house for kids : )

I have to remember the one out there before fires was a duplicate and inside was different because they filmed most of that on set. I sometime look for mistakes because of that. I heard on The Gift the girls are wearing different clothes in one scene and then walking another but need to check that out another time.

I'm not sure who Michael didn't want using the buildings, they were shells mostly, but it was a dramatic ending making sure no one ever returned there again, no specials, movie etc.

I believe at the time, he was mad at NBC for cancelling LHOTP in the middle of the season and wanted to punish them via preventing the usage of the sets for any of their future productions.

However, it wasn't too much later that he put Highway to Heaven on the same network!

• Like 2

I just saw the somewhat disturbing "His Father's Son" show where Mr Edward's can't understand how a young man wouldn't want a gun for his birthday. I always thought Jonathan was more the thick one, but hiding he couldn't read, how did his wife not now?

What I didn't remember was that EJ Andre was in this too! His must of really had a good relationship with Mr Landon.

.His Father's Son (7 January 1976) - Amos Thoms (as E.J. Andre)
2.Going Home (31 March 1976) - Matthew Simms (as E.J. Andre)
3.Gold Country: Part 1 (4 April 1977) - Zachariah
4.Gold Country: Part 2 (4 April 1977) - Zachariah
5.The Godsister (18 December 1978) - St. Peter (as E.J. Andre)
6.The Lost Ones: Part 1 (4 May 1981) - Jed Cooper
7.Uncle Jed (1 February 1982) - Jed Cooper
8.At The End Of The Rainbow - 1975 - St Peter

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, debraran said:

I just saw the somewhat disturbing "His Father's Son" show where Mr Edward's can't understand how a young man wouldn't want a gun for his birthday. I always thought Jonathan was more the thick one, but hiding he couldn't read, how did his wife not [k]now?

I suppose that since Grace had nearly derailed their nascent courtship when he said he didn't go to church because he was still upset about the early loss of his 1st wife and young daughter, she may have been too relieved to see him put an 'X' on their marriage license later on (the traditional and legal mark of an illiterate person who was a Christian) that she didn't delve any deeper.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, debraran said:

What I didn't remember was that EJ Andre was in this too! His must of really had a good relationship with Mr Landon.

.His Father's Son (7 January 1976) - Amos Thoms (as E.J. Andre)
2.Going Home (31 March 1976) - Matthew Simms (as E.J. Andre)
3.Gold Country: Part 1 (4 April 1977) - Zachariah
4.Gold Country: Part 2 (4 April 1977) - Zachariah
5.The Godsister (18 December 1978) - St. Peter (as E.J. Andre)
6.The Lost Ones: Part 1 (4 May 1981) - Jed Cooper
7.Uncle Jed (1 February 1982) - Jed Cooper
8.At The End Of The Rainbow - 1975 - St Peter

He also appeared (as different characters) in four episodes of Bonanza, too. I’m guessing he was professional, knew his lines coming in, could hit his mark, and folded into the groove of the set. Those type of actors get hired again and again.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Egg McMuffin said:

He also appeared (as different characters) in four episodes of Bonanza, too. I’m guessing he was professional, knew his lines coming in, could hit his mark, and folded into the groove of the set. Those type of actors get hired again and again.

Not to mention that Mr. Andre had known what to expect from ML prior to his LHOTP stints.

OTOH, I can't recall any guest stars or other one-shots who didn't consider ML's onset professionalism to somehow have made up for his tantrums,pranks and booze issues. Even Moses Gunn evidently  was willing to work with him again on Highway to Heaven despite the infamous KKK blooper reel prank (and Mr. Gunn had become more in demand as a performer by this point than when ML had initially hired him).

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Not to mention that Mr. Andre had known what to expect from ML prior to his LHOTP stints.

OTOH, I can't recall any guest stars or other one-shots who didn't consider ML's onset professionalism to somehow have made up for his tantrums,pranks and booze issues. Even Moses Gunn evidently  was willing to work with him again on Highway to Heaven despite the infamous KKK blooper reel prank (and Mr. Gunn had become more in demand as a performer by this point than when ML had initially hired him).

i met Moses when he was in CT where he lived. Didn't really want to talk about LHOP but the newer show (off at that time) he did.  There were a lot of stunts and the sheet, KKK thing wasn't funny but he went along with it. You remember though. Another cast member (Alison?) brought that up too. 

I do like that on Highway (a bit over the top cheesy for me) he did hire disabled guest stars and recurring stars which doesn't happen to often.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2
On 3/27/2023 at 3:51 AM, debraran said:

i met Moses when he was in CT where he lived. Didn't really want to talk about LHOP but the newer show (off at that time) he did.  There were a lot of stunts and the sheet, KKK thing wasn't funny but he went along with it. You remember though. Another cast member (Alison?) brought that up too. 

I do like that on Highway (a bit over the top cheesy for me) he did hire disabled guest stars and recurring stars which doesn't happen to often.

I'm not saying that Mr. Gunn wasn't upset by that . .stunt (and he had every right to have been) and may not have been eager to have talked about his LHOTP time as a result.

Nonetheless, he appeared to have at least been willing to work with ML again on the HtH show. Maybe by that point, ML possibly could have actually gotten contrite over the stunt and apologized to him over it. I'd like to think that it might have happened that way.

• Useful 2

Yes, I didn't talk to him about gossip but having a show he starred in as a black actor at the time was good and money in the bank. I'm sure there were a lot of "guy" talk and I know from other actors at the time, male, female, black, white, Asian, list is long, that things went on you didn't like and if you wanted to work, pushed it down. Maybe Moses did a practical joke back or just brushed it off as a dumb move. Probably the latter since he wanted to work. : )

I did note that Hester Sue really didn't have racism issues in Walnut Grove or elsewhere but Joe did. He had to be voted in church and she sung. She ran restaurant, etc.

I did see this pic of her and Moses in FBI series before LHOP.

https://m.facebook.com/Little.House.Cast/photos/a.1605122486453584/1605122499786916/?type=3&source=43&paipv=0&eav=AfYGOX_ProiPVWW5pyi1-J564iBv6ZMVymWqJEgyaOX9ssYo6olb9DbbiIW2wDVGW4w

• Useful 2

Yes, I didn't talk to him about gossip but having a show he starred in as a black actor at the time was good and money in the bank. I'm sure there were a lot of "guy" talk and I know from other actors at the time, male, female, black, white, Asian, list is long, that things went on you didn't like and if you wanted to work, pushed it down. Maybe Moses did a practical joke back or just brushed it off as a dumb move. Probably the latter since he wanted to work. : )

I did note that Hester Sue really didn't have racism issues in Walnut Grove or elsewhere but Joe did. He had to be voted in church and she sung. She ran restaurant, etc.

I did see this pic of her and Moses in FBI series before LHOP.

https://m.facebook.com/Little.House.Cast/photos/a.1605122486453584/1605122499786916/?type=3&source=43&paipv=0&eav=AfYGOX_ProiPVWW5pyi1-J564iBv6ZMVymWqJEgyaOX9ssYo6olb9DbbiIW2wDVGW4w

But what's odd is that in her autobio, Miss Lester merely stated that she and Mr. Gunn worked together on LHOTP without giving any POV about what she might have thought of him either as a performer or as a person. Quite the contrary to her praises of Miss MacGregor and ML!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

But what's odd is that in her autobio, Miss Lester merely stated that she and Mr. Gunn worked together on LHOTP without giving any POV about what she might have thought of him either as a performer or as a person. Quite the contrary to her praises of Miss MacGregor and ML!

Maybe in editing? In quote below from podcast, she did other times. I don't know how they got along but those 2 characters you mentioned, were ones would want to know about and everyone seemed to love Katherine. : ) She was their union in a sense, pushing the women to do things, before they had one. lol

In a quick google I saw this on IHeart podcast on her book. Didn't listen to it, but it did say "In this segment, Ketty talks to Ed about how she came to join the cast of Little House, as well as some of her other film and TV roles. She also shares a few memories of working with Moses Gunn (both before and during Little House), Bernie Mac, David Janssen, and with William Marshall and director William Crain on Blacula"

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/256-tv-confidential-a-radio-ta-30991071/episode/ketty-lester-moses-gunn-and-blacula-93482141/

Listened a bit before work. She really does praise him . Always nice.

https://televisionconfidential.com/celebrities/tv-confidential-show-no-570-with-guest-ketty-lester-is-available-for-listening-as-a-free-podcast/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

Edited by debraran