Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I'm going to have to go look now

China lamp,knick knack shelf or a clock

Yes, just want Caroline needed, a place to put useless things, lol. That is our legacy, not hers. : )

I loved when they got to do things that were nice but Michael always had to put a sad spin on it. Maybe exception was her depression about menopause and not having a child with Laura and they got remarried etc. even though that was only with a kind couples okay. The "grange" trip went downhill, the trip when Mr Edwards babysat was awful, no gifts, play was awful, it was too much. Even taking Mary to town turned sour but Ma never got much of a break. I know she was "perfect" loved most, stayed up all night without dark circles to make dresses from her own, baked and cooked constantly, always keeping coffee for Charles ready but just showing a nice trip, one without illness, bad weather, sadness or drama was always something I hoped for. You knew inheritance would be fake, like Laura's gold, but just let Ma have something nice when that one episode where he farmed well, had extra. There must have been one where Mary didn't get kicked by horse or tornado just hit their home?

• Like 3
16 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes, just want Caroline needed, a place to put useless things, lol. That is our legacy, not hers. : )

I loved when they got to do things that were nice but Michael always had to put a sad spin on it. Maybe exception was her depression about menopause and not having a child with Laura and they got remarried etc. even though that was only with a kind couples okay. The "grange" trip went downhill, the trip when Mr Edwards babysat was awful, no gifts, play was awful, it was too much. Even taking Mary to town turned sour but Ma never got much of a break. I know she was "perfect" loved most, stayed up all night without dark circles to make dresses from her own, baked and cooked constantly, always keeping coffee for Charles ready but just showing a nice trip, one without illness, bad weather, sadness or drama was always something I hoped for. You knew inheritance would be fake, like Laura's gold, but just let Ma have something nice when that one episode where he farmed well, had extra. There must have been one where Mary didn't get kicked by horse or tornado just hit their home?

I suppose Charles taking Caroline to the anachronistic high school reunion ( of 1856!)  was as close to a 'nice trip' as Caroline got. I mean, she got to tell that married, rich, boorish classmate who tried to flirt with her that he was a 'pain in the butt' (!?!) AND got to see Charles punch him out after said classmate slapped his abused and alcoholic wife in front of the whole reunion.

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

I suppose Charles taking Caroline to the anachronistic high school reunion ( of 1856!)  was as close to a 'nice trip' as Caroline got. I mean, she got to tell that married, rich, boorish classmate who tried to flirt with her that he was a 'pain in the butt' (!?!) AND got to see Charles punch him out after said classmate slapped his abused and alcoholic wife in front of the whole reunion.

Yes, they must have been all "city folk" for Pete's sake. Every woman wants Charles but at least he had someone like Caroline too. Of course any other path they took would have been awful, the moral of every story. Even her "good friend" during the epidemic had one of the worst husband's around and made switching babies with another palatable.  My point was could anyone they knew just be happy? Caroline talked of giving up dreams once to Laura, teaching and other things, her life wasn't what she thought it would be, but she loved them etc. I never got why they seemed so poor compared to other farmers AND he worked at the mill during the show. He could woodwork, etc. Just wanted to see Ma have more than a few dollars in the tin. I mean Laura and Albert had an obnoxious amount of money, (50?) for just honey! They gave it for a wasted trip, of course Mary couldn't get to destination,but money flow was always something I found depressing. Grace and others seemed to live well, warm homes, food, but they always struggled.

Edited by debraran
On 12/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, Egg McMuffin said:

So it’s almost Christmas and no sign of an airing of that very Christmasy movie where Zaldamo loses Rose, a heatwave hits Minnesota, and the Wilders dump an orphan boy onto a crazy woman?

I do seriously wonder what misery and trauma Michael would have cooked up for Rose Wilder's childhood and young adulthood if he had lived because I'm sure there would have been a reboot attempt in the mid-1990's, late 90's at the latest given how popular the syndication was (It still has to be, given that it's never gone off the air) and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman being a big hit in the 90's.

Ed Friendly was the one who optioned the books and co-produced the pilot along with Landon. After the pilot, Landon forced him out because he wanted to do the show his way. Friendly later produced the 2005 miniseries which was more realistic.

I liked it purely because of Cameron Bancroft. The girl playing Laura was trying waaaaayyyy too hard to copy Melissa Gilbert that she didn't feel natural at all.h_littlehouseontheprairie_mobile_19918_4262e77e.webp.e3f2bb5d12ab4082084b2f2ce49ebc68.webp Kind of a shame the series didn't get picked up as a regular show, but it's probably for the best. Erin Cotrell wound up doing a lot of Hallmark Westerns, so good for her? The girl who played Mary does a lot of Hallmark-esque romantic comedies, I believe.

Hallmark has their "When Calls the Heart" series so they wouldn't be interested in a Little House reboot, and I think Disney owns the rights to any further series. Probably can't see it happening with Disney. Any potential  Little House series by Disney would probably be slammed for promoting the displacement of Native Americans and I don't think they'd touch the subject.

Then again, I could be wrong. I thought Westerns were over and here we are right now with Yellowstone being the biggest show on T.V.

Edited by methodwriter85
9 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

This is all I found

https://ew.com/tv/little-house-on-the-prairie-reboot-paramount-exclusive/

I think it's form end of 2020

I'm really interested in seeing how they'd make this work now. If it's owned by Paramount maybe they'd try to make it like a PG Yellowstone?

I'd rather get a continuation though. I mean, at this point Melissa Gilbert is old enough now that she could play Laura writing her memoirs with her daughter in the 1930's. Melissa is 58 and Laura wrote her first memoir at 65- we're getting close. Ginifer Goodwin or Anna Chlumsky could play Rose! 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 3

Watching "Blizzard" and i wish they had gone into more detail on how far all the families lived from the school

Miss Beadle, who I feel awful for in this episode, said they left 30 mins ago before it got bad.

At a brisk walking pace of 3 mph (4.8 kph), you'll walk 1.5 miles in 30 minutes (2.4 km). At 4 mph, you'll go 2 miles (3.2 km)

I understand the kids got slowed down by the storm but I wish we knew how far everyone was.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Watching "Blizzard" and i wish they had gone into more detail on how far all the families lived from the school

This is a debate we've had on here over the years. In the first or second episode, Ma says you can hear the mill whistle from their house. In later episodes it's either a 15 minute or 3 hour walk into town, depending on the plot point. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
32 minutes ago, Superclam said:

This is a debate we've had on here over the years. In the first or second episode, Ma says you can hear the mill whistle from their house. In later episodes it's either a 15 minute or 3 hour walk into town, depending on the plot point. 

I also wonder what they would have done, if kids hadn't left school. Charles said it looks like everyone was staying in town at the school, so I imagine they would have used blankets from the Oleson's but I don't know about food

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

BTW, why was Carrie at the school anyway? It would be a few years before she'd get depicted as a fulltime student.

I suppose they needed to have her there so she wasn't alone during the storm. There was an episode Caroline & Charles went to see Mary at blind school to tell them something in excitement ( in WG )and they left the little ones at night....kind of odd if they got up but didn't want to write them in. Here I felt you were to not think about it or think they asked her to come to decorate.

Nels and Harriet always had tons of blankets and lanterns to loan or give in case of illness and food, I bet they'd make it to store for candy and coffee for sure. ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

BTW, why was Carrie at the school anyway? It would be a few years before she'd get depicted as a fulltime student.

I would imagine it was because Caroline was doing Christmas stuff with the other mother's and they didn't want Carrie to be involved since they were probably doing presents.

12 hours ago, Superclam said:

From what I saw online they lived 1.5 miles away from Walnut Grove which is about a 30 minute walk

• Like 1
7 hours ago, debraran said:

I suppose they needed to have her there so she wasn't alone during the storm. There was an episode Caroline & Charles went to see Mary at blind school to tell them something in excitement ( in WG )and they left the little ones at night....kind of odd if they got up but didn't want to write them in. Here I felt you were to not think about it or think they asked her to come to decorate.

Nels and Harriet always had tons of blankets and lanterns to loan or give in case of illness and food, I bet they'd make it to store for candy and coffee for sure. ; )

Sadly,  it's well-documented how many OTHER RL stores and mercantiles would jack the prices of vital necessities during life-threatening blizzards, I always admired Nels for volunteering the resources at his disposal to help his customers and neighbors in need.

Yes, the Olesons may have shrewdly made up for the inventory loss via charging for coffee and/or hot chocolate (which both had to be imported and the latter especially was quite expensive) but I think Nels especially didn't want to chance WG resenting then boycotting him for having profiteered during times of duress!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Sadly,  it's well-documented how many OTHER RL stores and mercantiles would jack the prices of vital necessities during life-threatening blizzards, I always admired Nels for volunteering the resources at his disposal to help his customers and neighbors in need.

Yes, the Olesons may have shrewdly made up for the inventory loss via charging for coffee and/or hot chocolate (which both had to be imported and the latter especially was quite expensive) but I think Nels especially didn't want to chance WG resenting then boycotting him for having profiteered during times of duress!

Yep , Nels even went to go help look for the children during the blizzard even though Nellie and Willie were safe at the school

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Quof said:

Ms. Beadle commented "Thank you, Carrie, we're so happy you could come spend the day with us".  Before sending them out into the SnowStorm of Death.

I assume there was no one in Walnut Grove getting weather updates?

On 1/1/2023 at 5:25 PM, jason88cubs said:

Miss Beadle, who I feel awful for in this episode, said they left 30 mins ago before it got bad.

I may be misremembering, but I recall a couple of the moms saying that their kids couldn't have gotten home in time even before Miss Beadle said how long ago they left.

And yes, I felt awful for her too. Willie coming to comfort her is one of my favorite moments in the whole series.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, jird said:

I may be misremembering, but I recall a couple of the moms saying that their kids couldn't have gotten home in time even before Miss Beadle said how long ago they left.

And yes, I felt awful for her too. Willie coming to comfort her is one of my favorite moments in the whole series.

yes the moms did say that. Which is why I wish they had said how far away they were

• Like 1
23 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I assume there was no one in Walnut Grove getting weather updates?

Unless one had access to a telegraph receiver (usually via rail lines), there was no such thing as 'weather updates'- and even then those telegraph lines frequently blew down during bad storms. IIRC, WG had no rail line or telegraph office around and its post office just dealt with snail mail.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Yep , Nels even went to go help look for the children during the blizzard even though Nellie and Willie were safe at the school

And I think it was Harriet who told Mr. Edwards to take warm clothes from the store. She's pulled crazy and mean stunts but she pulls though when it really matters.

As for Carrie, I agree with the poster that since Ma was with the other ladies doing Christmas stuff, it makes since for Carrie to make her own gifts with her sisters just across the road.

I always laugh when Mr. Edwards came back and said he gave booze to his children to stay warm, but then it got sad when the camera panned to the other family who lost the husband/dad.

• Like 5

If you think about it, it could have been way worse. If all the mothers had been at home they would have thought the kids were still at school. I suppose Charles and Edwards would have gotten everyone together anyway but it's lucky that that the mothers knew as well

2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

As for Carrie, I agree with the poster that since Ma was with the other ladies doing Christmas stuff, it makes since for Carrie to make her own gifts with her sisters just across the road.

Which makes one question - if the children knew their mothers were at the Oleson's making decorations, why would they not have stopped in to say they got out of school early and were heading home?

Fun fact the actor who played Jim Bowers (Joey's father) in the Blizzard episode was also in the Christmas They Never Forgot episode as Master Hayes, who owned the plantation and gave Hester Sue's father the angel/doll gift from santa.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Which makes one question - if the children knew their mothers were at the Oleson's making decorations, why would they not have stopped in to say they got out of school early and were heading home?

Fun fact the actor who played Jim Bowers (Joey's father) in the Blizzard episode was also in the Christmas They Never Forgot episode as Master Hayes, who owned the plantation and gave Hester Sue's father the angel/doll gift from santa.

You just started up a whole new topic

What's better than gettign home from the bar tipsy and  turning on tv and hearing Charles tell you "any job a man can do in this world is  decent job"

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by jason88cubs
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
5 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Anyone got a good answer?

Yes. Because if that happened and everyone went home safely or stayed in town there wouldn't have been a dramatic episode. 

How many horror movies have some stupid teenager going into the haunted house by themselves? Otherwise the movie is over in 15 minutes.  

• Like 2

Other questions about the blizzard episode 

What happened to the Harris girls, little Tommy Spencer and the few other children who were brought back to the school? When the blizzard was over and st charles wakes up, I think the only children shown are the Ingalls, Olesons, Edwards, Henry and Joey.

All those other women who were shown making the decorations and entering the school, and the rescued children did what....? Walked home together in a blizzard?? Woke up before st charles and hightailed it home??

Blizzard so bad everyone was stranded in town but Edwards and 2 (maybe drunk) children can walk back to the school, through what would presumably be deep snow, without snowshoes or anything?

Also, who put new glass in the shattered schoolhouse window that isn't broken when the shutters are opened after the storm??

I have obviously seen this episode way too many times and put way too much thought into logical questions to things with no logical answer.😀

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Other questions about the blizzard episode 

What happened to the Harris girls, little Tommy Spencer and the few other children who were brought back to the school? When the blizzard was over and st charles wakes up, I think the only children shown are the Ingalls, Olesons, Edwards, Henry and Joey.

All those other women who were shown making the decorations and entering the school, and the rescued children did what....? Walked home together in a blizzard?? Woke up before st charles and hightailed it home??

Blizzard so bad everyone was stranded in town but Edwards and 2 (maybe drunk) children can walk back to the school, through what would presumably be deep snow, without snowshoes or anything?

Also, who put new glass in the shattered schoolhouse window that isn't broken when the shutters are opened after the storm??

I have obviously seen this episode way too many times and put way too much thought into logical questions to things with no logical answer.😀

I never noticed that about the window!!!!!!!!!!! WOW

• Like 2
13 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Here's my explanation of the window..Nels had one...ran over and got it and they got it put up!!!

Thankfully this was way before Laura broke the inventory Nel's had and Charles kept buying, when she was older. : )

• LOL 4
35 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

The broken window glass subplot was one of the dumbest, which is saying something for this show. 

If anything, that one should have been given to Olesons. Not only because they had far more funds for glass than the Ingallses but also because Nellie and Harriet could have made it far more comical not only because they were the best at humor and pratfalls but also because it's  not as funny to think of losing at least a year's worth of Ingallses' income every time Laura smashed it!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

If anything, that one should have been given to Olesons. Not only because they had far more funds for glass than the Ingallses but also because Nellie and Harriet could have made it far more comical not only because they were the best at humor and pratfalls but also because it's  not as funny to think of losing at least a year's worth of Ingallses' income every time Laura smashed it!

I remember finding it uncomfortable knowing that re the money and how Laura could care less really. Why should Ma start having something nice now?

• Like 2
11 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

The broken window glass subplot was one of the dumbest, which is saying something for this show. 

If it had been Blanche the orangutan that broke them, that would have been peak LH. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
8 minutes ago, jird said:

If it had been Blanche the orangutan that broke them, that would have been peak LH. 

IMO, more like nadir LH- alongside the Colonel Sanders (1890-1980) lookalike(?) appearance!

11 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

All the kids in Walnut Grove and only Laura fishes and meets the banker??

Have you met Half-Pint? Meeting and befriending old men is kind of her thing. 

See also: Jonathan the Angel, Mr. Pike, and Buzzby. I might be forgetting some.

• Like 4
Just now, CountryGirl said:

Have you met Half-Pint? Meeting and befriending old men is kind of her thing. 

When you put it like that it sounds totally creepy! 

BTW, I have daughters, and no way in hell are they going over to help the old town hermit clean up his house. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Charles: hey, can I get another loan? 
Sprague: bro, you have any collateral? 
Chuck: I'M CHARLES INGALLS, DAMNIT!!! 

Nels and Harriet: He used that same line on us his first day here when we wouldn't extend credit to him!

Charles: AND BECAUSE OF YOU TWO I FELL OUT OF A TREE AND BROKE MY RIBS!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
Just now, jason88cubs said:

Nels and Harriet: He used that same line on us his first day here when we wouldn't extend credit to him!

Charles: AND BECAUSE OF YOU TWO I FELL OUT OF A TREE AND BROKE MY RIBS!

SEE??? LOOK AT THE SCAR!! 

Please cover your nipples, sir. 

• LOL 3

Charles had the gall to be "cash on the barrel" unless it was him. He would state it and then forget.

Oleson's "we are so glad to hear that, wise words, cash is best"

Charles "well I just need some seed" Just this one time...

Then they owed Olesons most of the time with a running tab. The funniest thing was him thinking he inherited money and not even waiting for it. We aren't talking about a few baubles, the guy bought out the store and had nothing in bank or his hand. But he was an Ingall's. Then he wants a loan to buy his wife something, for pete's sake, make a few shelves for someone, work an extra job or two. Charles really wasn't always the brightest guy. His kids made more selling honey. ; )

• Like 2