Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Wonkabar5 said:

I have not been logged in for absolutely months (taking care of my aging mother), so I have just found out and read here re: Ma’s new autobiography.  I just requested it from the library. Hmmm.

I’m assuming this has been ghostwritten? Whether formally credited as such, or not…lol

I can only say that someone very near and dear to me has had professional dealings with her and while very nice, her manner can be a bit “curt, brusque but also very professional.”  That’s about all I can say here. In a very professional setting, she’s just not going to be “cuddly,” so to speak. 

And everyone has a very different style….

I actually thought another writer would have helped, since she did come off curt and abrupt at times in the book. I thought personally, it could have been edited much better and more photos would have been nice. The LHOP kids liked her from what they've said and she liked the little ones on the set and kept them busy at times. She was very professional and Katherine liked her in part because they were trained on stage and had that air and professionalism.

I remember when Tom Cruise was making it big and although not my fav actor, seemed to walk through some movies. He was star material no matter what. Paul Newman's wife told him he should do some stage work, hone his acting, it would get so much better but he probably felt "Why?" She bugged Paul to go back too though too. : ) TV is an different animal though and back then, even more so.

• Love 3

Ok, which one of you wrote that review of KG’s book on Goodreads which mentions issues arising during the “popcorn,” scenes? 😂 

I’m laughing at the “popcorn” terminology we use here, (and from the old TWOP board), not at the seriousness of the issue being addressed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Chris The Handyman episode was on yesterday

This one always made me uncomfortable.  I particularly did not like Caroline chastising Mary for giving Chris the heave-ho because she misunderstood an incident at the lake.  It wouldn't have mattered if nothing happened between them.  Mary asked Chris point blank if he was in love with Caroline.  The fact that he didn't flat out deny it 'immediately' was enough of a reason to get him out of there.  It was clear he was looking for an insta-family - and he was falling for her.  I couldn't believe how ignorant Caroline was and didn't see this.  I was completely on Mary's side

• Love 1

I doubt Mary, who as a child didn't really fit doing that scenario especially back then, would have in "real life" . It didn't matter what Chris felt or didn't feel, he wanted what he saw but not breaking up a marriage and getting 3 bratty kids. ; )  He wanted a woman like her.  If Mary saw Charles flirting with the lady with the horses, telling her about her "nice hands" and having picnics with the kids, she wouldn't say a word. Not one. Even with the widow, she didn't say anything to her. It wasn't her place.

Chris was a good man to have around, he worked fast, he would have finished the room, he loved the kids, especially Carrie and gave her the only toy I think the girl ever owned.

It always bugged me about Mary because it was all Nellie. She let her get under her skin with her dad but again, never would have disrespected him or told Widow "Dishes", forgot name,  to do her own woodwork. She wouldn't have told the wife of the rancher anything either. She felt like Chris, she wanted someone like Charles.

Just another opinion, I always felt Caroline didn't get to do much but cook and clean and having someone say they appreciated it, was nice

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

@debraran

Good points! Yes, the Books (and evidently RL) Mary NEVER once rendered ill-judgments or even questioned ANYthing that either of her parents said or did.  She just blindly went with whatever they said (no pun intended). So even had Mary caught Pa or Ma with their knickers down, she wouldn't have uttered a word but may have tried to spin it as something innocent/benign!

Moreover, a grown man insisting on minors calling him by his given name instead of Mr. [Surname] was unconventional enough in the 1970's  US suburbs so it would have been considered downright suspect in the 1870's US Midwest countryside!

OK, as to the Show Mary:  after she excoriated Caroline then Caroline defended her integrity (which, as it now appears, that she had MORE of than Miss Grassle re Mr. Gerard) I hated it when Mary  blubbered 'Oh, please LOVE me again, Ma!' and wish Caroline had hugged her tight then replied 'Mary, you're my daughter and as long as I live, I'll ALWAYS love you but, right now, I don't LIKE you!' then had broken the embrace and stormed off to  let Mary blubber on and stew in her own!

• LOL 3
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

@debraran

Good points! Yes, the Books (and evidently RL) Mary NEVER once rendered ill-judgments or even questioned ANYthing that either of her parents said or did.  She just blindly went with whatever they said (no pun intended). So even had Mary caught Pa or Ma with their knickers down, she wouldn't have uttered a word but may have tried to spin it as something innocent/benign!

Moreover, a grown man insisting on minors calling him by his given name instead of Mr. [Surname] was unconventional enough in the 1970's  US suburbs so it would have been considered downright suspect in the 1870's US Midwest countryside!

OK, as to the Show Mary:  after she excoriated Caroline then Caroline defended her integrity (which, as it now appears, that she had MORE of than Miss Grassle re Mr. Gerard) I hated it when Mary  blubbered 'Oh, please LOVE me again, Ma!' and wish Caroline had hugged her tight then replied 'Mary, you're my daughter and as long as I live, I'll ALWAYS love you but, right now, I don't LIKE you!' then had broken the embrace and stormed off to  let Mary blubber on and stew in her own!

I really love that scenario because I would have thought the same thing if Caroline. ; )

• Love 1

Was there a reason why sometimes, when Charles would go to work, he wouldn't take the horses and wagon with him?

Would Caroline maybe use it that day?

I understand maybe he wanted to walk since it was nice out, but the distance to town sometimes came off much further than what it did other episodes

Edited by jason88cubs

Some like it hot 

Some like it cold

Some like it in the pot

Nine days old

Age old song repeated by Book Laura extolling folks' appreciation for baked beans!

BTW, does anyone here have topics re LHOTP they'd like to air here even with the subthread having been dormant for nine days?

• Love 2

I'm still working my way through the Waltons but I keep making mental notes between it and LHOTP. I often think about how often LHOTP introduced someone as massively important for one episode and then they dropped off the face of the earth never to be seen again. Lol

The Waltons seems to do a better job of using people who seem like one-offs for repeat episodes and providing closure on them when they don't show up again. 

I don't really hold it against LHOTP. I know television conventions were very different then, and serialization like we think of TV plot now was not the norm. But it is very noticeable when watching a couple of episodes a night versus once a week. 

Edited by Zella

Mike Landon cut his teeth on Bonanza, which used to feature the “important one-off characters who are never mentioned again” all the time. They also did single or two-part episodes that took place over a matter of months (like Caroline’s pregnancy). It’s considered lazy storytelling now and is jarring. Landon picked up some bad habits from Bonanza, particularly the melodramatic tendencies.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Oh - another thing Landon brought over from Bonanza was David Rose’s often obtrusive background music. But what’s a melodrama without lots of screeching violins?

But fire had its own theme music! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

The episode makes NO sense, why would Walnut grove get a bank?, but it really is a good episode

Especially when he was so particular about making loans to farmers.  Who else was there?  The Olesons gave him some business, I'm sure.  Miss Whipple wasn't overly rich..... Widow Thurmond - for sure.   I guess there were many other well-off families we never saw....

• Love 3
9 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I watched Ebenezer Sprague yesterday

The episode makes NO sense, why would Walnut grove get a bank?, but it really is a good episode

yes anyone with money could go to  bigger town but who would have that much extra? Was it insured? I guess they needed him for that episode and the gold one was a nice touch. Another decent looking well off guy who couldn't find  wife. Mr Hansen, Doc, Chris (be still my heart)  I never got that.

• Love 2

While the logistics of Mr. Sprague being able to fiscally survive in Walnut Grove defied explanation, I liked this this was someone who was prosperous but outrightly told Harriet to her face that he had no use for her snobbery. Now, if Charles hadn't guilted him into making that donation and staying Laura's secret pal, I wonder if perhaps Harriet and Caroline might have bonded due to him having spurned both of them for very different reasons (and would Harriet have been more upset that he didn't think she had attempted 'feminine wiles' to charm him?"

• Love 1
13 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I watched Ebenezer Sprague yesterday

Opening a bank in a town full of poor people would seem like a very foolish business decision. But then again, so is opening a restaurant in the same area, and that place was always packed somehow.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Opening a bank in a town full of poor people would seem like a very foolish business decision. But then again, so is opening a restaurant in the same area, and that place was always packed somehow.

I was actually going to say that all the money that could have been saved was used eating at the restaurant. lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, debraran said:

I was actually going to say that all the money that could have been saved was used eating at the restaurant. lol

Maybe they thought they were saving money by not tipping Nellie! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/9/2022 at 7:38 AM, jason88cubs said:

The part that drives me crazy is how Laura never asks his name or makes the connection between the only new person in town and the random dud she's fishing with. And for someone who loves introducing herself to everyone in a 40 acre radius, she doesn't tell him her name.

• Love 3
On 2/10/2022 at 5:06 AM, debraran said:

Opening a bank in a town full of poor people would seem like a very foolish business decision.

Well, there were well off folks who weren't struggling farmers.  Widow Thurman, for example.  Doc Baker (if he wasn't being paid in chickens and eggs)  And of course - The Olesons.  

• Love 1

Yeah, it seems like other families and residents have a few dollars to put away except Charles. The Olesons, the widows, Hanson with his mill. The post mistress and teachers have a paycheck. Even Albert and Laura had money from their beehive, and James had enough birthday money to put away. I wouldn't be surprised if Caroline had a few dollars of egg money hidden away from Charles.

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Yeah, it seems like other families and residents have a few dollars to put away except Charles. The Olesons, the widows, Hanson with his mill. The post mistress and teachers have a paycheck. Even Albert and Laura had money from their beehive, and James had enough birthday money to put away. I wouldn't be surprised if Caroline had a few dollars of egg money hidden away from Charles.

I don't know why they struggled more than most except that it made for better episodes. Sometimes I thought "Not another tornado that only hit the Ingalls' home"

Most of their friends had less children too (which made casting easier) You rarely saw more than one sibling if that with most of their neighbors or friends. Sanderson's had a whopping 3 which made more of an impact for finding them homes.

I think there was one episode where they did have some money but then of course something happened. With the mill work, eggs being sold, other jobs Charles did (and some were paid well) why they never have fruit of that, was just plot driven.Charles was handy too, even if he didn't make them very much, he could do furniture, wheels, dresser etc. Some were just farmers but Charles rarely did just that.

Re Laura and Albert, I declare they had more money than Caroline at times, they had a LOT for 1800's when they bought ticket for Mary. (70?) from selling honey.

Edited by debraran

I've always wondered how many eggs the Oleson's sold each day and why were there not more farmers willing to sell their eggs to the store?   The way Mrs Oleson back-peddled when Caroline was ready to take her eggs over to the men at the mill, it makes me think that the Ingalls were her lone supplier... 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I've always wondered how many eggs the Oleson's sold each day and why were there not more farmers willing to sell their eggs to the store?   The way Mrs Oleson back-peddled when Caroline was ready to take her eggs over to the men at the mill, it makes me think that the Ingalls were her lone supplier... 

Yes I doubt that but it made it more believable she would care if she kept some of her eggs. Even Doc Baker with all his chicken/eggs/fruit payments at times could have contributed. ; ) I think most families had a chicken.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes I doubt that but it made it more believable she would care if she kept some of her eggs. Even Doc Baker with all his chicken/eggs/fruit payments at times could have contributed. ; ) I think most families had a chicken.

Not to mention, most families had a wife, mother, sister or daughter who could sew yet Mrs. Whipple was able to earn enough to stay comfortable in her cottage by taking in sewing and even could subcontract some to Mary.  Did Mr. Hanson, Reverend Alden, Doc Baker and Mr. Sprague have THAT many clothes needing constant mending? It seemed all four bachelors wore the SAME attire all the time! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

and even could subcontract some to Mary

I always thought that she hired Mary before Christmas because she probably got many orders for gifts and the people ordering them didn't want to have their family see them making it.  Also, Mrs Whipple told Mary that the ladies who come over do nothing but talk, talk, talk, so she didn't have much time to sew.

10 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I always thought that she hired Mary before Christmas because she probably got many orders for gifts and the people ordering them didn't want to have their family see them making it.  Also, Mrs Whipple told Mary that the ladies who come over do nothing but talk, talk, talk, so she didn't have much time to sew.

But how was it  that Mary seemed to work for Mrs. Whipple when there was no  frost or snow on the ground AND everyone was wearing light clothes- a sure sign in Minnesota of late Spring, Summer?

IOW, she seemed to be a more reliable employer for the whole year than a Christmas tree lot.

P.S. Most pioneer women back then could EASILY sew and talk at the very same time- just as most pioneer men could walk and chew gum! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2

In the books, Laura got seasonal jobs sewing shirts because there were enough single men in town staking claims, but it wasn't during their time living in Walnut Grove.

Walnut Grove on tv seems more of an established family town though. Not like Sleepy Eye with their big bad saloon and bank robberies.

I did like how in"Ebenezer Sprague" when Charles and Hansen didn't finish the bank on time like the contract stated and Sprague docked them a day's pay they acted like Sprague was a huge jerk

You didn't complete the contract. NO wonder why the mill was always closing

23 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I did like how in"Ebenezer Sprague" when Charles and Hansen didn't finish the bank on time like the contract stated and Sprague docked them a day's pay they acted like Sprague was a huge jerk

I kind of felt like he was a big jerk only because I couldn't figure out what wasn't done.  Looked like they were just wiping down counters or whatever.  It was ready and he didn't have to wait for anything before he opening up.

9 hours ago, Katy M said:

I kind of felt like he was a big jerk only because I couldn't figure out what wasn't done.  Looked like they were just wiping down counters or whatever.  It was ready and he didn't have to wait for anything before he opening up.

They were still hammering near the windows when Sprague came and he mentioned it was 40 after 12?  Then they still had to unload the wagon with all the stuff

3 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Meh - I’m interested in Melissa’s experiences as a child actress, which she’s already written about. Not really interested in her life as an adult/former child actress.

I think that's why it wont be too expensive but we will see. She isn't like Betty White who was in so many things or recent bios like Valerie Bertnelli's who changed gears later and was married to Eddie Van Halen. I can see her thinking Karen did it and maybe if I talk about rustic cabins and her not wanting Hollywood (or maybe vice versa ) fans would buy it and it would help her financially. I know things weren't too good for them at one point. She did show an electric stove on twitter boiling water waiting for water heater to be installed. Probably waiting to show more pics later when done. This looks like a room there. I might get kindle version if not too expensive or wait a few months  but I'll see then.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLpHv5XFxhs/ 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

If Miss Gilbert hadn't starred as an iconic pioneer girl/ teen/   WOOH-man would there be any market for her having slummed via living in a somewhat anachronistic abode during this afflection when many folks were compelled to move back to their parents' abodes and some even have wound up entirely homeless?

I could be wrong but I still get the 'first world problem' vibes from her but maybe this book will blow out my POV I've had since  she came out with her first autobio. 

55 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Do you think back then, with kids being all over the place, they had a lot of "snow days"

Some of those kids were far from the school

I think during blizzards everyone was expected to hunker down in their homes BUT as soon as it quit snowing, if they could possibly climb over it, they were expected to snowshoe their way to school.

• Love 2