Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

LOL!  That could have been a really good storyline.  The Ingalls family returns and finds they've been "replaced" as the go-to family, so to speak.  The Wilders are the new stars of the town, and Charles has to get used to not being Saint Charles the All Knowing, and find his place among the new set.  Meanwhile Laura has to adjust to Albert (ugh, yes he'd still be there) as well as slowly develop affection for her father's "rival," Almanzo Wilder.

Then we have a episode of Charles trying to set the Wilders up as thiefs so he can be the hero again

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I do like how in BARN BURNER when the judge asks for the Reverend  to recommend a fair and honest juror forman , Charles gets picked right away and Charles has a shocked look but you know inside he was all "Heck yea!!! Let's go baby!! I have the power to pick jurors! What now Harriet! Oh I can't wait to tell Caroline. Heee Haww!"

• Love 2

Going back briefly to the Winoka stint, I'm with you 100% they could have taken advantage of  bigger town setting so much more. Come to think of it, they didn't at all. Like Kyle said, they had a two-parter for getting there and one episode and about a fifth of sixth one for leaving. Those two regulars in-between could easily have taken place in Walnut Grove. Especially the one with fatty daddy.

• Love 1

That episode pisses me off to no end. I would have locked the two little monsters in the icehouse for a few hours to cool them off.

But it’s a another silly episode where Royal and his wife go on some rafting trip on vacation. I really doubt people from the city were faux roughing it that way. Real life was rough enough. If you were lucky enough to get a vacation and could afford to go somewhere, you weren’t river rafting.

• Love 5

Speaking of Nellie, I wish we had had a chance to see her as a parent. She knew all the angles from her experience as a kid and she didn’t put up with much crap. I’m sure she raised them better than she was raised.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kyle said:

That episode pisses me off to no end. I would have locked the two little monsters in the icehouse for a few hours to cool them off.

But it’s a another silly episode where Royal and his wife go on some rafting trip on vacation. I really doubt people from the city were faux roughing it that way. Real life was rough enough. If you were lucky enough to get a vacation and could afford to go somewhere, you weren’t river rafting.

I always thought the river rafting was ridiculous, too.

I'd be at home, enjoying the peace and quiet, not on a super-uncomfortable-looking raft.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Speaking of Nellie, I wish we had had a chance to see her as a parent. She knew all the angles from her experience as a kid and she didn’t put up with much crap. I’m sure she raised them better than she was raised.

Nellie, Percival, and the twins in NYC was the spin-off we should have gotten instead of S9 or Father Murphy. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

Nellie, Percival, and the twins in NYC was the spin-off we should have gotten instead of S9 or Father Murphy. 

Amen. But knowing Michael Landon’s style, he would have shoved Mary and Adam into that spinoff to up the tragedy quotient.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Zella said:

Or he would have burned down Nellie and Percival's house and killed both twins in the fire. Just because. 

The ratings dipped that week would be real.

The funny scripts they could have had, it might have made Alison and MSA more friendly too but both professional.

When Michael had his dad try to burn himself (did he know the pain involved?) to be with his mom, I was like, just when did he go crazy? The guy in gold country was distraught but his dad had children and grandchildren. Then he had the crazy guy with the daughter who had a baby burn his home too. He loved fire.....no you don't want Michael near ANY of the scripts for a sequel.

• Love 3

just a little fan fiction i wrote once

Title"you must keep believing"

Scene 1
The episode starts as Charles rides into Walnut Grove to stop by and ask Doc Baker to dinner. The Doc says hes about to perform major surgery, he secretly tells Charles hes nervous and this would be safer with a major doctor but THERES NO TIME!!

Charles looks at the doc and says "Let me be responsible" The doc says "Charles you have no training!" Charles says "Doc all i need is confidence. That i have"

Charles takes off his shirt and sanitizes his chest and performs the surgery

He botches it and the patient dies.

Charles goes out in the waiting room and gets choked up and says " I I uh I lost her!!" and breaks down crying. The doc stands up and says to no one in particular "How could I let this happen!?" Caroline, who appeared goes up to Charles and says" You must keep believing Charles!!"

Charles gets up looks at the doc and says "We would still like you to come' over for some chicken and dumpling and some of Caroline's famous apple fritters tonight . See Ya around 6!"

Scene 2

The next morning at Hansens Mill, Hansen is stressed because they are behind on a major order
Charles comes up to Hansen and say s"i think we can get this done, why dont we just increase the speed!"

Hansen says "Nahhh that will not work! Machine will break! No we will just have to work longer day!"

Charles gets frustrated and says "oh Come on Hansen I have plenty of experience with stuff like this. I can get it working just right. Just think, companies from all over the state of Minnesota will be coming to us. "Quickest mill in the state" will be our slogan Yea!"
Hansen says "Yea wellllllll, hmmm you say you can do this?"
Charles says "just watch"

Charles takes his shirt off and gets to working on it
Charles increases the speed and at first it works great, Hansen is smiling but then the machine starts smoking and breaks

Hansen" Oh no no no!"

Charles gets a frown and starts crying, "I thought I had it, The dream almost happened!"

caroling who was at Olseons Merch walks up to Charles and said "YOU must keep believing Charles!"

Charles wipes his tears, looks at a stunned Hansen and said "Well looks like we wont eb working late, se ya tomorrow!"

Scene 3

The next day at Olseons Mercantile, Nels is handling some very expensive plates

Charles walks in all sweaty and dirty, smelling awful and Nels is cheerful as can be

Charles says "Well Nels looks like you have your hands full"

Nels says "Yea trying to get all this put away. Theres a lot though, been at it for 3 hours!"

Charles whistles and says "tell ya what, let me help and I'll pay my bill right now!"

Nels laughs and says "Id like to but each of these is $15.00!"

Charles looks at Nels and says "Ive held babies, Ive delivered babies, i think I can handle $15.00 plates"

Nels says "You are right, Im sorry for offending you"

Charles takes his shirt off which makes Nels ask "why"

Charles" Nels, My chest will intimidate these plates in to not falling"

everything goes great for 5 minutes until Charles breaks 10 plates

Nels screams "Thats 150 dollars!!!"

Charles falls crying holding the broken plates to his chest, Caroline walks in to sell the eggs and says "Charles You must keep believing!!!:

Charles says your right honey, ;looks at Olsen and says " Just charge that to our account Nels!"

Scene 4-Final Scene

At church the rev is giving a sermon, then stops , gets a serious look and says

"I have had reports of a certain member of this community who keeps causing trouble"

(charles looks around, little smirk, nods at a farmer and whispers to Caroline "Its Chris the handyman)

The reverend look at Charles and say "THIS PERSOn is a egotistical , rude, selfish person, and I am ashamed that I welcomed this person into my life

Charles is holding back laughter "WOW HES REALLY GIVING IT TO HIM!"

The rev comes down and stands in front of Charles and says "Frankly Walnut Grove was better without you"

Charles gets a shocked look

The whole town stands up and says "Charles we dont want you hear"

Charles starts crying, takes off his shirt and says "We dont want to leave"

Caroline says "WE arent leaving charles its you , you see im now dating Chris the handyman,

Chris comes up and kisses her . the daughters start saying "daddy Chris!

Charles is grabbed by Edwards and Garvey and thrown out of town. Charleis crying and caroline gives him one look and says "Stop believing Charles"

The episode ends with Charles going to a new town and walking up to someone who needs help and says "Here let me help you with that"

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Imagine how much more fun Father Murphy would have been if Katherine Cannon played Mrs. Murphy more like her later character, Felice Martin on 90210.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/25/2021 at 1:56 PM, Kyle said:

I was watching The Troublemaker (the one with the dreaded Mr. Applewood) and when Charles knocks on her door, he comes right into a room with her bed in it. So in that episode, at least, she seems to have a rented room rather than a whole house.

Interesting, but it seemed Miss Beadle had a small cottage with a yard- including a swing on a tree branch by the time of 'Here Come the Brides' (when she is courted and quickly married to Adam Sims).  Although where her carriage horse Jack was supposed to be sheltered (and who tended to him when he wasn't pulling Miss Beadle's carriage) went unaddressed. 

As for 'The Troublemaker', the thing I loathed was when Willie destroyed Mr. Applewood's bag and Mr. Applewood was ready to wallop her and even THAT wasn't enough to keep Laura from freezing. This trait of Laura freezing in times of intimidation and danger seemed to have been a purely TV invention inasmuch as both in the books as well as from all surviving accounts of those who knew Mrs. Wilder said that from her earliest childhood to old age onward, (other than her deference to Ma, Pa and Mary)  she NEVER backed down or let others intimidate her but did all she could to intimidate others.

• Love 5
(edited)

Interesting - I didn’t know that about the real LIW. Frankly, the episode would have been much more entertaining if Laura had stood up to that bastard instead of the stereotypical cowering in fear. But then we would have been denied the cathartic scene of Pa saving the day!

Edited by Kyle
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Is Willie even in the books? I don't remember. I know Eliza Jane was quite different in book form! 

I remember he was in Little Town in the Prairie, but didn't have a big part like in the show. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I steeled myself to watch "Sylvia" for the first time in a long time.  I know we joke how dark that one is, but... yikes.  Some thoughts that crossed my mind:

1. Sylvia looks so young.  I was thinking that she was 12 at most, but she was 15.  That said, interesting that she was only 9 months younger than Melissa Gilbert.

2. I get that the underlying message was the tragedy of not believing women, but wasn't there someone other than Albert she could have told?  There was a mime rapist running around the prairie.  Who's to say she was the only victim?

3. Even if I weren't spoiled, I would have known that the not-at-all creepy, never-before-seen black smith was the culprit from the way the camera would linger on him for a long period of time.

4. How could Sylvia not hear the evil mime as he walked across those boards?

5. With the last view of the mime approaching Sylvia, they took a page from Michael Myers in Halloween.  Gave me chills.

That poor girl.  I wanted to give her a big hug, and now she's frickin' dead.  Thanks LHOTP!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

I steeled myself to watch "Sylvia" for the first time in a long time.  I know we joke how dark that one is, but... yikes.  Some thoughts that crossed my mind:

1. Sylvia looks so young.  I was thinking that she was 12 at most, but she was 15.  That said, interesting that she was only 9 months younger than Melissa Gilbert.

2. I get that the underlying message was the tragedy of not believing women, but wasn't there someone other than Albert she could have told?  There was a mime rapist running around the prairie.  Who's to say she was the only victim?

3. Even if I weren't spoiled, I would have known that the not-at-all creepy, never-before-seen black smith was the culprit from the way the camera would linger on him for a long period of time.

5. With the last view of the mime approaching Sylvia, they took a page from Michael Myers in Halloween.  Gave me chills.

That poor girl.  I wanted to give her a big hug, and now she's frickin' dead.  Thanks LHOTP!

When I watched the show for the first time several months ago, I went into it being warned about the content of "Sylvia," and I was still not adequately prepared for how unsettling it is. It's been months, and I'm still messed up from watching it. And I watch a lot of pretty dark stuff that doesn't bother me! 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Zella said:

When I watched the show for the first time several months ago, I went into it being warned about the content of "Sylvia," and I was still not adequately prepared for how unsettling it is. It's been months, and I'm still messed up from watching it. And I watch a lot of pretty dark stuff that doesn't bother me! 

I think it haunts because it wasn't supposed to be on LHOP. It was a family show and I think much younger viewers watched it. . Even the Walton's from what I remember, in The Violated episdoes, they didn't show it and she was a soldiers wife. It was done to show how with police etc it is very hard to prove and how women were at a disadvantage in court. It was done in a much better way and the ending, although not "Hallmark" gave you a little satisfaction. You don't need a Halloween mime and death and another horrible dad.

8 hours ago, Superclam said:

Thanks, and poor Willie! 😥

I was thinking that too, but in thinking of my sequel with Nellie and Mary and hubbies, wouldn't it fit too, to have Willie there and his family and that happens in the city. Mary could help him and knowing it really happened, would have been even better. Oh that great sequel wont happen but more interesting.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I wondered why Sylvia didn't consider telling Doc Baker, Reverend Alden or Mr. Oleson. Did she truly think none of them would have believed her much less tried to help her?  You're quite right that it IS sad- and of course the fact that she was blamed by Mrs. Oleson and ALL the men [including father-of-four girls Charles] at the School Board meeting  for HER  getting spied on while she was changing her clothes made the thing rather infuriating! 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I wondered why Sylvia didn't consider telling Doc Baker, Reverend Alden or Mr. Oleson. Did she truly think none of them would have believed her much less tried to help her?  You're quite right that it IS sad- and of course the fact that she was blamed by Mrs. Oleson and ALL the men [including father-of-four girls Charles] at the School Board meeting  for HER  getting spied on while she was changing her clothes made the thing rather infuriating! 

Yes, the old "men and boys are complete idiots and can't control themselves" as an excuse to be improper. Even when women dressed in neck to toe clothes and burlap sacks, they were raped and ogled. Men have acted this way since the beginning of time but hopefully with more progressive teaching, it will keep ebbing.  If parents spent half their time teaching and educating their sons to be moral and good people and about consent and not blaming women for looking like women, they'd be less crimes. 

When boys tried to look into our bathroom window in the 70's years ago, my dad found a milk crate under it, he waited and when he heard something, ran out and gave them a talking too as they ran. The boys will be boys from a neighbor also grew his wrath and I was so proud that a dad out of that era of "blame the girl" never did. He said his dad was like that too. I found that show hard to watch on so many levels.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Is it wrong that I wanted Albert to die (saving his true wub), along with mime rapist, and Sylvia survive? And get away from her creep AF dad.

• LOL 2
18 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I never liked that actress, no matter what she showed up in. “Kith me, my wub.”

Awww. I have a soft spot for her since she was in a movie called Child of Glass and I loved it as a kid.

Guess who else was in that movie? Katy Kurtzman who played young Caroline in "I Remember, I Remember."

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Katy Kurtzman also played Anna, the young girl with the stutter whom Nellie Oleson bullied.

She was all over back in the day. I thought she was a really good actress. One of my favorite roles of hers was in The Awakening Land. If you never saw this miniseries, I highly recommend it. 

• Useful 3

Random question:

I'm watching "Back to School" again, and there's one scene where Laura, trying to impress Almanzo, appears at school with her hair long and straight.  She emphasizes her long hair, and Almanzo says: "Yeah, it looks real good."

Laura: "Yeah?"

Almanzo: "There's nothing cuter than a little girl in pig tails."

That line makes no sense, given that Laura is clearly not wearing pig tails in that scene.  Is there anything I'm missing?

• Useful 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Random question:

I'm watching "Back to School" again, and there's one scene where Laura, trying to impress Almanzo, appears at school with her hair long and straight.  She emphasizes her long hair, and Almanzo says: "Yeah, it looks real good."

That line makes no sense, given that Laura is clearly not wearing pig tails in that scene.  Is there anything I'm missing?

I interpreted it as him insinuating he likes the pigtails better than her more mature look because he thought of her as a child rather than a young woman. I also thought those early scenes with him and Laura were creepy as fuck. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

I interpreted it as him insinuating he likes the pigtails better than her more mature look because he thought of her as a child rather than a young woman. I also thought those early scenes with him and Laura were creepy as fuck. 

They should have started dressing her older way sooner than they did.  I don't think it would have changed the urk! factor, though.  That scene where Laura was sitting in Almanzo's robe in bare feet was still creepy, even though the situation was innocent.  How would she have bathed and gotten all the mud out by herself?  They should have indicated that Eliza Jane helped her or something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

They should have started dressing her older way sooner than they did.  I don't think it would have changed the urk! factor, though.  That scene where Laura was sitting in Almanzo's robe in bare feet was still creepy, even though the situation was innocent.  How would she have bathed and gotten all the mud out by herself?  They should have indicated that Eliza Jane helped her or something.

I think a combo of dressing/styling her as older and casting a guy closer to her age would have helped, as well as framing the dialogue and interactions in those scenes differently. Whenever he tells her that his special nickname for her would be their secret, I felt like I was watching someone film a manual on how to groom children. 

And I don't actually blame poor Dean Butler for that. I think he was working with what they gave him. But the writing in the early episodes where he seems to flirt with her constantly but then is like "OMG what do you mean you think I'm in love with a child?" was shocking to me because it made Almanzo seem both dumb and predatory.

As a side note, I'm still processing the fact that Walton Goggins played Almanzo in a 90s TV movie. I really like him as an actor, but he has such a case of crazy eyes that I have a hard time picturing it. 

I found book Almanzo quite charming and likable and their romance really sweet. And I hate romances and never react that way to them! I would have much preferred if they'd stuck closer to the book for that storyline. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I always liked Laura and Almanzo on the show.  Probably because I like Dean Butler in the role, but I thought they did a good job with the storyline and giving it the time it needed.  Melissa Gilbert came across as younger than LIW would have at the time, but I liked that they had a friendship on the show until the time was better for a romance.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Zella said:

As a side note, I'm still processing the fact that Walton Goggins played Almanzo in a 90s TV movie. I really like him as an actor, but he has such a case of crazy eyes that I have a hard time picturing it. 

I found book Almanzo quite charming and likable and their romance really sweet. And I hate romances and never react that way to them! I would have much preferred if they'd stuck closer to the book for that storyline. 

The 90s TV movie...OMG, where we have a blond Laura, a redheaded Mary, John Boy plays Pa, and Laura and Almanzo consummate their marriage out in a meadow (with Laura initiating the out-of-doors angle). 

I loved book Almanzo and how he courted Laura with taking home for the weekends from the school from hell (well, not so much the school, but the wife she had to board with). And practically swooned over him and Cap risking their lives to go for the wheat that quite literally saved the De Smet folks' lives (Laura and her family included). That he did this in real life is something.

Not to mention, he was quite the hottie in RL. No offense to Dean or Walter, but Original Recipe Almanzo was the fairest of all.

Almanzo_Wilder_sepia_cropped_squared2.jp

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

One of the three LHOTP episodes that Cozi is airing today is called, The Camp-Out.  I have set the DVR to record it, I haven't seen that episode before, but it does sound like it would be humorous given the description of the episode.

It's a make fun of Mrs. Oleson episode. It's a decent episode. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

When I think of Dean Butler, I think of, The New Gidget.

One of the three LHOTP episodes that Cozi is airing today is called, The Camp-Out.  I have set the DVR to record it, I haven't seen that episode before, but it does sound like it would be humorous given the description of the episode.

Oh, that episode is a MUST!

So don't be like Charles was.

7cc4e7b20d2d14bfa85aa6d88b1b550f.gif

Partake in due haste!

• LOL 2
14 hours ago, Kyle said:

She was also a regular on Dynasty during its first season, playing the daughter of Claudia Blaisdel. I liked her as well. She has a Youtube channel and shares some of her memories in the comments.

Yes, she was, though I get a feeling she wasn't considered "sexy" enough for the show, so that is why it was only one season. 

Dynasty was a different show in its first year - not just about the Carringtons but also about the middle class Blaisdels and even the old wildcatter, Walter Lankershim. By season 2, it was all about glamour and glitz and anyone who didn’t fit into that world was gone.

I like The Camp-Out a lot, though the Ingalls girls predictably let something awful happened to the Olesons and feel they are justified in their behavior.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I like The Camp-Out a lot, though the Ingalls girls predictably let something awful happened to the Olesons and feel they are justified in their behavior.

It's been a while, but wasn't it just Laura.  considering the rest of the episode, I do feel it's a bit justified, and in this case (unlike some other episodes), she didn't actually do anything.  She just failed to prevent.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Random question:

13 hours ago, Zella said:

I for one interpreted it as he doesn't actually notice any change with her hair. Like he just compliments Laura on how cute she looks with her pigtails. And then Laura is shocked that he didn't even notice her new hairstyle.

By the way, when listening carefully, it's quite obvious that Almanzo's last line before "See ya, Beth" is an ADR-one. Maybe they even had different line there, maybe not.

And now that I checked this scene, I even found a goof: Laura has a plastic headband! I don't think there were those in 1870s-1880s.

Edited by Pirpana
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Oh, that episode is a MUST!

So don't be like Charles was.

7cc4e7b20d2d14bfa85aa6d88b1b550f.gif

Partake in due haste!

He should have said there "Tell them I broke my ribs". That would had been more accurate, the one excuse the Olesons had believed, had it gone that far!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Did you make that .gif? If not, why that hell does that exist?? 

I found it on Google Images. I guess someone had a lot of time on their hands. LOL.

2 hours ago, Zella said:

I really enjoyed the first half of the camping episode a lot but found the last half pretty tedious. 

But it has the delightfully scratchy music.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

I found it on Google Images. I guess someone had a lot of time on their hands. LOL.

But it has the delightfully scratchy music.

It had a lot of potential. I loved how nice Harriet was for most of it, the conversations with Caroline and even with Nellie and Laura before the "you saw it coming" part. Even Nels and Harriet had nice moments. I wish it had ended without the lying. Why would Nellie do that? It didn't make sense.  I could see a lot of scenarios but not saying that leaf was poison ivy and allowing Miss Beadle to touch it seemed odd. Didn't they all grow up knowing about plants?

They could have had Charles do it and pretended they didn't know it was that leaf. Why hand it in for project after you went through all the itching etc ? Little thing but it always bugged me.

• Love 2

I find it a bit strange that Miss Beadle, teacher and the one who gave the assignment, doesn't recognize poison ivy. And she's scratching her face, did she also rub the leaves on her face?

• LOL 3