Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I know times were different but I always felt bad that Laura couldn;t see Mary get married

While the show's Laura likely felt bad she didn't get to see the show's Mary get married (which it should be noted did NOT happen IRL). no doubt Miss Gilbert herself more likely than not felt relieved that her character didn't have to fake loving Miss Anderson's character for the occasion. Note that Laura DID manage to see Nellie's (permanent) wedding- which seems preposterous for the show's Laura to have done but since offstage Miss Gilbert and Miss Arngrim were besties, this was something that I'm sure Miss Gilbert was happy to have done.

BTW, I wonder if it's possible that Miss Gilbert may have spelled out to ML in advance (as the seasons rolled on) that she wanted Laura to have as few gushy scenes as possible with Miss Anderson?

14 hours ago, Blergh said:

BTW, I wonder if it's possible that Miss Gilbert may have spelled out to ML in advance (as the seasons rolled on) that she wanted Laura to have as few gushy scenes as possible with Miss Anderson?

I doubt it. Michael Landon ran a tight ship and expected his company to act like the professionals they were.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Blergh said:

While the show's Laura likely felt bad she didn't get to see the show's Mary get married (which it should be noted did NOT happen IRL). no doubt Miss Gilbert herself more likely than not felt relieved that her character didn't have to fake loving Miss Anderson's character for the occasion. Note that Laura DID manage to see Nellie's (permanent) wedding- which seems preposterous for the show's Laura to have done but since offstage Miss Gilbert and Miss Arngrim were besties, this was something that I'm sure Miss Gilbert was happy to have done.

Since Michael really liked MSA and they weren't really enemies , she didn't play with them often, I would have said "tough" When you are an actress, you have to do a few hugs with people you don't like. You weren't going to kiss. I understand more with a guy at that age, getting too close but I never noticed it with MSA and her first John Jr so she did a good job and that wasn't going to last.

Melissa faked it with Almonzo but I never felt any chemistry with them either.

• Love 3

Well, the fact remains that Miss Gilbert's Laura did not participate or witness Miss Anderson's Mary's wedding despite their characters supposedly being close and loving but DID witness Miss Arngrim's Nellie's wedding despite the latter character being at best someone Laura barely tolerated and at worst at outright enemy. 

So,  IMO it's possible that Miss Anderson and ML themselves may not have really wanted Miss Gilbert there for her character to claim to love her when Miss Gilbert made it no secret she barely tolerated Miss Anderson (and maybe ML was just tired of  trying to get these two barely cordial performers to pretend they loved each other). 

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Well, the fact remains that Miss Gilbert's Laura did not participate or witness Miss Anderson's Mary's wedding despite their characters supposedly being close and loving but DID witness Miss Arngrim's Nellie's wedding despite the latter character being at best someone Laura barely tolerated and at worst at outright enemy. 

So,  IMO it's possible that Miss Anderson and ML themselves may not have really wanted Miss Gilbert there for her character to claim to love her when Miss Gilbert made it no secret she barely tolerated Miss Anderson (and maybe ML was just tired of  trying to get these two barely cordial performers to pretend they loved each other). 

They had plenty of scenes together after that point.  The family never traveled as a whole on that show unless they were planning on moving permanently.  I don't think there was anything nefarious going on behind the scenes of that decision.

• Love 6

They're like Vin Diesel and the Rock in the Fast and Furious movies now! If they had digital technology back then they could have did a "Good Wife" and put Melissa in scenes with MS without them having to interact.

Thinking about it, you know Landon would have gone nuts if he had had access to CGI technology!

• LOL 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

They're like Vin Diesel and the Rock in the Fast and Furious movies now! If they had digital technology back then they could have did a "Good Wife" and put Melissa in scenes with MS without them having to interact.

Thinking about it, you know Landon would have gone nuts if he had had access to CGI technology!

I think Michael would have had fun with a lot of things but I feel the "feud" was never a feud. In regard to Good Wife, etc. those were popular, well paid actress's, not kids and the fact that it's not discussed even today is mature and says more about incident than we need to know. You don't scorn Julianne!

I don't think children have that power and no one ever said they were "enemies". The adults barely noticed anything and MSA said she didn't play with them except at certain functions. I think like "mean girls" sometimes you pick on someone when alone in a group of kids and saying 'hate" or 'mean" is exaggeration. MSA always had class, spoke kindly or said nothing about them, not even to hype her book for more buyers. Adults have said on set she was more mature and had a mom on the set a lot. I can see the gang up on the third child who didn't act like you did but as adults to perpetuate it for money and drama is tacky. I understand wanting to make being different and wanting to be alone more than it was, but MSA was never actively mean. You see many outtake pics of her playing and playing board games with other kids, staff and extras. I'm not saying she didn't do anything, she wasn't perfect and you react to others behavior,  but when you write books and want something to spark it up, you can make something larger out of something small.

She also didn't stay in CA and moved to Canada with her husband to raise her children and stay away from that life. In retrospect it might have helped her and her family still seems intact and happy.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
(edited)

ML  put her in his semi autobiographic TV movie "The Longest Runner" around the time of the show's second or third season and I wonder if that might have rankled Gilbert.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

ML  put her in his semi autobiographic TV movie "The Longest Runner" around the time of the show's second or third season and I wonder if that might have rankled Gilbert.

I don't know why it would have. I would think something like that would only rankle if you wanted the role yourself and MG would have been too young and she would have known it.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't know why it would have. I would think something like that would only rankle if you wanted the role yourself and MG would have been too young and she would have known it.

Also it would have been weird since the part is the girl the young ML stand in has a big crush on!

(edited)
3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Do people ever have these speculative conversations about male actors refusing to work with each other or being jealous of each other?

They certainly do regarding Fast and the Furious and Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel. That's literally all I know about those movies because I've never watched them. But I have probably read everything ever written about the passive aggressive possible feud between them, including vague callouts about candy asses and allegations of green screening them together in a scene. It's a wild, petty ride.

Edited by Zella
(edited)

Yes, "back in the day" you'd find out feuds and disagreements with stars many years later. One old one I remember was "Ethel and Fred" from Lucy. You'd never know and that's the way it should be. You are acting and it's not a date. Now harassment is something else.

I also think it was nice that Melissa Sue made up with Michael much sooner than MG. I understand Melissa's feelings but she wasn't an angel herself. Melissa Sue invited him to her wedding as a peace offering and other LHOP cast.  Melissa Gilbert talked to him when he was sick. I'm glad they made up, you never know how long you have.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10150755671042494&set=here-is-another-photo-of-melissa-talking-with-michael-and-cindy-landon-at-her-we

This might explain some adolescent angst too

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/little-house-on-the-prairie-melissa-gilbert-was-jealous-of-melissa-sue-andersons-looks-and-attention-from-boys-she-was-way-beyond-my-league.html/

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

Nancy was written very poorly. Why they decided to make her such a psycho is beyond me. The only time when she was tolerable was when Nels and Harriet got held for ransom. And also in the episode where Willie got married and then she acted just like a mischievous little girl who was excited to be in her brother’s wedding. That would have been a much better direction for her, and the actress certainly was able to play that.

• Love 6
(edited)

All the new kids were pretty awful. The others were at least just bland and easily ignored instead of one-note psychos. (And I say that as someone who actually likes a lot of psycho characters. But Nancy was annoying as hell.)

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Kyle said:

“You hate me!” Ugh.

As bad as the badly written “Alyssa” and just as grating. Such a shame shows can't leave before they kill it. While many wont remember the later shows, the younger ones in most memories, watching on Amazon Prime, I see how it changed and it's sad. But we had great TV for a while and for that I am grateful.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Nancy wanted to be hated just so she could be the center of attention, and be treated as a victim.  That is why she inflicted so much pain and treated everyone like shit.  Harriet fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

The way that Nancy treated Blanche was just awful.  What writer in their write mind would put into a script where a character slaps an animal? 

Nancy reminds me of that little psycho (Rhoda) from the movie, The Bad Seed.

I assumed Michael hated the show at that point and was caught up in other things. It was beyond awful and he just didn’t care anymore. 

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I assume Michael had much higher aspirations given the next series he starred in, Highway to Heaven.

True and Father Murphy. He was leaving Little House for the time being but not giving it any air to grow or breathe. If he wrote or directed those scripts early on, no one would be watching them today.

He also married Cindy in 1983 in Feb and show ended a month later. Years prior were the rumors and all that so I feel it might have hampered it a bit too.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

LH is on Peacock, and the episode description for A Harvest of Friends is making me laugh way more than it should:

After promising to fix a store's roof and stack stacks of grain, Charles falls out of a tree.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

my coworker is starting to watch LHOP, streamming it from season 1 on

She showed me a picture of her living room and I saw a scene from "THE PLAGUE" and sai d"Oh I see LHOP is on and it's THE PLAGUE"

lol

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, Kyle said:

“May We Make Them Proud”: After tossing away a lit pipe in the basement of the blind school, Albert kills Adam Jr and Alice Garvey.

Damn, way to spoil the episode, Peacock. I don't know if there's anyone watching LHOTP anymore that has never watched it before, but that's still a hell of a spoiler. 

I do agree these episode descriptions are pretty hilarious.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Damn, way to spoil the episode, Peacock. I don't know if there's anyone watching LHOTP anymore that has never watched it before, but that's still a hell of a spoiler. 

I don't mean to be "that guy" but if you don't want to be spoiled or TV shows that have been off the air for years, or even just been aired recently, you should stay off the discussion boards for that particular show.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I don't mean to be "that guy" but if you don't want to be spoiled or TV shows that have been off the air for years, or even just been aired recently, you should stay off the discussion boards for that particular show.

I don't think bunnyblue is upset to Kyle for spoiling it for him/her but rather pointing out how TV channel doesn't give a damn with their episode descriptions. They really shouldn't give plot away like that.

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I know I'm asking a loaded question, but what is that between his legs? 

It's like one of those marble pedestals that you put statues on.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm watching "The Craftsman" now. Who was a bigger jerk than this guy? 

https://littlehouse.fandom.com/wiki/Judd_Larrabee

Textbook TV bigot. 

Yeah, but so was Harriet but at least she was a broader character and (as Miss MacGregor put it) 'a fool' AND she did (sometimes) see the error of her ways.

You think how he treated a dying Jewish carpenter was bad (and I can't help but think that ML knew EXACTLY how ironicly counterproductive Larrabee was in doing so).

Spoiler

His next (and last) episode had 'The Barn Burner" had him attack Andrew Garvey to get back at Jonathan AND then after the injured boy accidentally started the fire which burned the Garvey barn, Larrabee was accused (and tried for said burning). It was only due to Joe Kagan (who, incredibly for that time and place had been put on the jury) somehow not being sure and wanting a fair trial instead of a kangaroo court for even such a despicable person that young Andy fessed that he had done it.  Larrabee instead of having ANY conscience or gratitude towards Mr. Kagan just nastily dissed him (including calling him the n-word). This would prompt the hithero unknown Mrs. Larrabee (Joan Tompkins - the widow of Karl Swenson LHOTP Lars Hanson) to wash her hands of him saying he'd gone too far with his bigotry and that she regretted not doing so sooner before he tainted their sons with it (although with both of the performers in their 60's, it seemed a bit of a stretch that they could have had teenaged sons). Larrabee was last seen bitterly declaring not needing anyone else in his life!

On a chilling note Larrabee was played by Don 'Red' Barry whose actual name was Donald Barry de Acosta- and had a reputation for being argumentative with his co-workers yet would work steadily in movies and TV even to the last year of his life before he ended it via a self-inflicted gunshot at age 68 in 1980 ( while police were investigating a 'domestic dispute' between himself and his second estranged wife). 

Edited by Blergh
5 hours ago, Pirpana said:

I don't think bunnyblue is upset to Kyle for spoiling it for him/her but rather pointing out how TV channel doesn't give a damn with their episode descriptions. They really shouldn't give plot away like that.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Superclam said:

I know I'm asking a loaded question, but what is that between his legs?

LOL, I had to do a doubletake on that one. I don't doubt that pose and prop placement were completely intentional.

• LOL 2
15 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Yeah, but so was Harriet but at least she was a broader character and (as Miss MacGregor put it) 'a fool' AND she did (sometimes) see the error of her ways.

She was pretty obnoxious in this episode and was joining in with Larrabee in the anti-Semitism. Nels, of course, was having none of it. I can think of at least 4 episodes where Harriet learns a valuable lesson and sees the error of her ways, at least until the next time. 

In addition to being anti-Semitic and racist, Larrabee was also anti-wolf. 

15 minutes ago, Blergh said:

On a chilling note Larrabee was played by Don 'Red' Barry whose actual name was Donald Barry de Acosta- and had a reputation for being argumentative with his co-workers yet would work steadily in movies and TV even to the last year of his life before he ended it via a self-inflicted gunshot at age 68 in 1980 ( while police were investigated a 'domestic dispute' between himself and his second estranged wife). 

That is shocking. Apparently he wasn't much different from his character. 

13 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Plus I love how it makes it sound like they were two separate acts: first Albert threw away a pipe, then he went off and killed Alice and the baby.

• LOL 2
On 7/17/2021 at 1:28 PM, Blergh said:

You think how he treated a dying Jewish carpenter was bad (and I can't help but think that ML knew EXACTLY how ironicly counterproductive Larrabee was in doing so).

Reveal spoiler

His next (and last) episode had 'The Barn Burner" had him attack Andrew Garvey to get back at Jonathan AND then after the injured boy accidentally started the fire which burned the Garvey barn, Larrabee was accused (and tried for said burning). It was only due to Joe Kagan (who, incredibly for that time and place had been put on the jury) somehow not being sure and wanting a fair trial instead of a kangaroo court for even such a despicable person that young Andy fessed that he had done it.  Larrabee instead of having ANY conscience or gratitude towards Mr. Kagan just nastily dissed him (including calling him the n-word). This would prompt the hithero unknown Mrs. Larrabee (Joan Tompkins - the widow of Karl Swenson LHOTP Lars Hanson) to wash her hands of him saying he'd gone too far with his bigotry and that she regretted not doing so sooner before he tainted their sons with it (although with both of the performers in their 60's, it seemed a bit of a stretch that they could have had teenaged sons). Larrabee was last seen bitterly declaring not needing anyone else in his life!

On a chilling note Larrabee was played by Don 'Red' Barry whose actual name was Donald Barry de Acosta- and had a reputation for being argumentative with his co-workers yet would work steadily in movies and TV even to the last year of his life before he ended it via a self-inflicted gunshot at age 68 in 1980 ( while police were investigating a 'domestic dispute' between himself and his second estranged wife). 

I remember seeing the actor but didn't know the whole story. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I remember seeing the actor but didn't know the whole story. 

I've never heard of anyone commenting on the late Mr. Barry's views of other ethnicities ,and, oddly enough, none of the surviving LHOTP  cast have commented about how it was to have worked with him.

However, in retrospect, I have to wonder if ML might have cast him in the role knowing how difficult and troubled he was and believing he could somehow believably channel that into such a self-destructive, hateful role. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Given all of the years that Harriet acted like a jerk, it was a wonder that someone didn't bump her off before the series ended.

I am astonished that anyone still used that store. Like, after a certain point, I just figured the entire town must have loved being shit on by Harriet on the regular because there is no way I would have shopped there, even if I had to trek to Mankato every time I needed supplies, let alone socialized with her or invited her to events. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5