Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

The one pandemic related episode where they use the blind school as a hospital it was super windy and bitter cold, but no snow.

That's one good thing this show did. They really made you feel like it was severely cold even if it was really 80 on set

• Love 6

I know there was a few episodes where Laura snuck out  in the dark.like that had to be super dangerous back then, All you had was a lantern, I mean that could not have given you that much light to walk in the pitch black could it have?

Plus the risk of wild animals. I feel like if a kid did that and got caught their would be MAJOR repercussions.

You never saw ANYONE go out at night at all pretty much

• Love 1
On 6/1/2021 at 11:33 AM, jason88cubs said:

I know there was a few episodes where Laura snuck out  in the dark.like that had to be super dangerous back then, All you had was a lantern, I mean that could not have given you that much light to walk in the pitch black could it have?

Plus the risk of wild animals. I feel like if a kid did that and got caught their would be MAJOR repercussions.

You never saw ANYONE go out at night at all pretty much

Good point! In that place or time, few if any folks would go outside beyond their own barns in the dark unless they had  lamps and pitchforks/ rifles in hand- yet Laura always seemed to not even have a lantern in hand when she's take off  running (as though she was a 1970's mallrat living in a gated suburb- with LOTS of streetlamps). Yet, Charles and Caroline didn't punish her or even attempt to remind her of the very real risks of doing that. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Good point! In that place or time, few if any folks would go outside beyond their own barns in the dark unless they had  lamps and pitchforks/ rifles in hand- yet Laura always seemed to not even have a lantern in hand when she's take off  running (as though she was a 1970's mallrat living in a gated suburb- with LOTS of streetlamps). Yet, Charles and Caroline didn't punish her or even attempt to remind her of the very real risks of doing that. 

Especially since Ma was so scared of wolves, she thought they could open doors with their paws! : )

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, Superclam said:

To be fair, mime rape rates dropped considerably after that one guy was apprehended. 

true, and boys stealing to feed their families. That was sad but the most exciting thing to happen that month probably. ; )

Decided to check out Monster of Walnut Grove last night.

Charles allowed Laura and Mary to walk, without a lantern that I saw, in the dark to The Oelson's mercantile to soap the windows for Halloween.

I just can't imagine in real life them allowing that. If I recall it was a pretty long walk. I can't seem them allowing that in real life

• Love 2
11 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Decided to check out Monster of Walnut Grove last night.

Charles allowed Laura and Mary to walk, without a lantern that I saw, in the dark to The Oelson's mercantile to soap the windows for Halloween.

I just can't imagine in real life them allowing that. If I recall it was a pretty long walk. I can't seem them allowing that in real life

I got what you said re them walking such a long way with nothing but moon and stars for light.

However, even if one imagines Charles having a 'good natured' prank deal with Nels re the soap, it's hard to believe that Caroline would have been willing to have them waste   soap (which was a HUGE chore to make and pioneers used homemade soap for everything from clothes to Saturday night baths to  dishes). 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Superclam said:

Beggorah, the Irish stereotypes in "Second Spring" are as thick as St. Patrick's shillelagh, they are! 

Not to mention that the flirty boarding house proprietress might as well have sought out  Colonel Sanders to harmonize with her on 'When Irish Eyes Are Smiling' since the song wouldn't even be written until 1912 (roughly a quarter century after this episode's timeline).  Yeah, ALL Irish folks happen to sing that song regardless of the time period just like all US Americans happen to sing 'I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy' (1904)! [major eye roll even for LHOTP]. 

Sakes, there's like zillions of Irish  songs in both Gaelic and English that were around in that era. How tough would it have been for ML to have picked more of those?! 

Edited by Blergh
took out song actually used- green with embarrassment
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

That’s the one with Suzanne Rogers - Maggie from Days of Our Lives - right? She was getting the NBC primetime guest roles that her costar Susan Flannery (Laura) asked for but didn’t get before leaving that show. I guess it’s hard to imagine Flannery and her icy blonde persona fitting in well with all the saccharine goings-on in Walnut Grove.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Pirpana said:

^Sorry if I misunderstand you somehow but she actually did sing The Wearing of the Green when Nels got there for the first time.

You're right! I've edited the post! Sorry.

• Love 1

The show was not shy with their ethnic stereotypes. Italians, Irish, and let's not forget Native Americans. 

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

That’s the one with Suzanne Rogers - Maggie from Days of Our Lives - right? She was getting the NBC primetime guest roles that her costar Susan Flannery (Laura) asked for but didn’t get before leaving that show. I guess it’s hard to imagine Flannery and her icy blonde persona fitting in well with all the saccharine goings-on in Walnut Grove.

Yes, but I never heard of her until today. Per imdb, she didn't work much outside of Days of Our Lives, but it looks like she's been on for close to 50 years! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

Also jewish people, circus people and african americans

It sure seems circus people came out the best re LHOTP stereotypes. Yes, it was nice to think that one-shot Annabelle Oleson (the fat lady) had found a purpose performing and a de facto family among her fellow circus folks but how many of these side-show attractions (back then called 'freaks') truly weren't exploited by those who exhibited them and isolated from others including their actual families? It seems Annabelle wound up being VERY lucky she wound up with the troupe she toured with! 

• Love 4

I never could get over how the show (justifiably) took a stand against bullying Annabelle for her weight but then turned around and repeatedly had the same characters who opposed that bully Harriet for her weight. On top of that, Harriet wasn't even really overweight. There was definitely a recurring thread of "It's not okay to be mean to these nice people because that's not nice, but it is totally okay to be a dick to these other people because we don't like them anyway." It really undercut any message they ever did about bullying or kindness. 

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, Zella said:

I never could get over how the show (justifiably) took a stand against bullying Annabelle for her weight but then turned around and repeatedly had the same characters who opposed that bully Harriet for her weight. On top of that, Harriet wasn't even really overweight. There was definitely a recurring thread of "It's not okay to be mean to these nice people because that's not nice, but it is totally okay to be a dick to these other people because we don't like them anyway." It really undercut any message they ever did about bullying or kindness. 

I never liked that either. They showed it with the heavy man who helped out at the blind school and I forgot not seeing it in a while,  Albert and Andy and Laura made fun of him. In synopsis :Amelia Bevins is a new girl at school. Laura asks her to go home with her the afternoon of her first day at school to work on their essays and they go by the Blind School on the way home. When they get there, Laura and Albert and Andy start making fun of the over-weight man who has started working there. Amelia makes an excuse and runs off. Unbeknownst to them, it's her father."

He had an overweight student a couple of times but I thought the "fat" comments were rude. I wondered at times if Michael who didn't always get along with Katherine wrote them in on purpose!

The oddest thing I read was that someone told MSA to lose weight early on to look like more of a skinny prairie girl but she was skinny and I'm glad Mr Landon didn't agree.

I can't believe I missed (or forgot) that Ms Beadle dated Mr Edwards. ; )

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/little-house-on-the-prairie-miss-beadle-actor-charlotte-stewart-was-hooking-up-with-this-co-star.html/

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

According to MSA in her book, at the audition, ML said she reminded him of his first girlfriend in high school. I'm a bit surprised her mother didn't get them OUT there after that! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Kyle said:

I think SF could have been BFFs with Harriet. 

• LOL 2

I always think of Susan Flannery as that PR expert helping to reform JR’s image on Dallas. Maybe she could have helped reform Charles’ image. “Less sanctimony, Charles, and fewer broken ribs!”

Or she could have run the Walnut Grove newspaper, with more integrity than Higgins from Magnum PI. She probably would have been bored to tears, though.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Kyle said:

I always think of Susan Flannery as that PR expert helping to reform JR’s image on Dallas. Maybe she could have helped reform Charles’ image. “Less sanctimony, Charles, and fewer broken ribs!”

Or she could have run the Walnut Grove newspaper, with more integrity than Higgins from Magnum PI. She probably would have been bored to tears, though.

Why couldn't they have had Hester Sue run the Walnut Grove newspaper and Mrs. Carter become Mrs. Oleson's cook?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Hester Sue’s Happenings!

I would have loved that, humorous, clean fun. I know Walnut Grove was progressive but they were always weird with black roles. Hester Sue lived somewhere and went to church if i remember correctly (she sung) but then Joe they had this big deal with them voting on it. They let Samson go to school though but he'd not be allowed to anywhere else. One black doctor thought he could see patients in Walnut Grove, another knew he couldn't and told Samson he had to just see the Indians or black people.

I like the messages he sent but it wasn't really realistic.  I still think Todd Bridges show was the closest and a great episode.

• Love 3

Bonnie Bartlett (Grace) loved working on the show. I wonder why she didn’t return for Grace’s final appearance in 1982? She also mentions how much she loved Melissa Gilbert but how they became “adversaries” when she grew up. I believe it was political, as Bartlett’s husband Williams Daniels and Gilbert served successively as presidents of the Screen Actor’s Guild union.

Television Academy interview with Bonnie Bartlett

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, Pirpana said:

^Well, stupid if that's really the reason because, as we know, the character did have lines in the final version.

Miss Bartlett claimed in her Television Academy Interview that they weren't going to her any lines and have her work for just one day as Grace for her final appearance and she refused.

Perhaps, that's what they originally pitched to her but after she declined, they found someone else (Corrine Comacho)  so, perhaps they decided to give Grace Edwards lines for this one-shot performer but. for whatever reasons, hadn't been willing to do so for Miss Bartlett.

• Love 2
On 6/6/2021 at 7:52 PM, debraran said:

I like the messages he sent but it wasn't really realistic.  I still think Todd Bridges show was the closest and a great episode.

I still remember Solomon's question to Charles about whether he would rather be white and live to be 50 or black and live to be 100. And Charles had no answer. It might have been the first time and only time he was rendered speechless.

• Love 3

I’m interpreting Bonnie Bartlett’s words to mean that she wouldn’t have any significant lines. And Grace didn’t in that episode. And I’m sure the Grace scene was shot in one day. It wasn’t much of a part for someone who was a former series regular.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I still remember Solomon's question to Charles about whether he would rather be white and live to be 50 or black and live to be 100. And Charles had no answer. It might have been the first time and only time he was rendered speechless.

I thought so too.  I’ve used that phrase numerous times in the past with bigoted people who thought “ they have it good” or just as a general question and in all honesty have never ever gotten an answer either.  It was well scripted. 

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I find "The Angry Heart" hard to watch. When he pushed the grandpa down, just really tough to watch.

Good episode but very dark

Edited by jason88cubs
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I find "The Angry Heart" hard to watch. When he pushed the grandpa down, just really tough to watch.

Good episode but very dark

I agree- to say nothing of his frail, elderly grandparents being downright scared of their own grandchild!   That was downright disturbing . Also, one couldn't help but wonder HOW Todd's poor mother Edna had been able to get him OUT of their Chicago abode to Walnut Grove- especially since he openly expressed nothing but contempt for her referring to her by her given name to his grandparents (her parents)  instead of 'Ma','Mama', 'Mom', 'Mother',etc.

The grandparents were significant because they were among the rare folks that Nellie actually sincerely praised despite them not being in a position to do anything for her personally.   Thankfully, Todd somewhat soured his own first impression with her or else HE may have wound up marrying her and automatically being the sole proprietor of Nellie's Hotel and Restaurant (and terrorized Nellie and even Harriet- which even THEY would not have deserved). 

• Love 2

The Angry Heart and The Werewolf of Walnut Grove are two back-to-back episodes I can skip. Both kind of mean spirited. One (two) of the reasons I prefer Season 7 to Season 6. 

On another note, I did recently enjoy Season 6 episode "Whatever Happened to the Class of '56?" Strange episode with characters we never heard of before or since, but well acted. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

The Angry Heart and The Werewolf of Walnut Grove are two back-to-back episodes I can skip. Both kind of mean spirited. One (two) of the reasons I prefer Season 7 to Season 6. 

On another note, I did recently enjoy Season 6 episode "Whatever Happened to the Class of '56?" Strange episode with characters we never heard of before or since, but well acted. 

The only problem with the 'Whatever Happened to the Class of '56' episode is that not only were there very few high schools in existence in 1856 but,during the supposed timeline of the mid 1880's , high school reunions were very rare if not unheard of (and only a few very hoity toity colleges and universities were doing those at that point). 

I think it would have worked better had it been done as (of all things) Big Chill deal- with them getting together with other folks from their former school after one of their classmates' death. No doubt Charles and Caroline weren't the only pioneer farmers from their former school who had had to contend with plagues, crossing flooded rivers in wagons, childbirths, wolf attacks,etc.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Kyle said:

Seriously. The Ingalls family is dirt poor, and it takes forever to go anywhere. Yet they’re flouncing off to Wisconsin (?) for a class reunion?

Not to mention when they left the Little House in the Big Woods in Wisconsin, they supposedly resigned themselves at the virtual certainty that they'd never seen Pa's parents again (yeah, the show sure veered off that part of the reality).  So if they could jaunt off to Wisconsin  for a  class reunion, why didn't they consider stopping by to see Grandpa Ingalls (who, as per the Christmas Reunion flashback show was STILL living at the time)?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Not to mention when they left the Little House in the Big Woods in Wisconsin, they supposedly resigned themselves at the virtual certainty that they'd never seen Pa's parents again (yeah, the show sure veered off that part of the reality).  So if they could jaunt off to Wisconsin  for a  class reunion, why didn't they consider stopping by to see Grandpa Ingalls (who, as per the Christmas Reunion flashback show was STILL living at the time)?

That's why I never understood the "Fake death" episode. It wasn't cute to me to fake a death. Children were told that and grandchildren, you don't mess with people like that and any minister or priest wouldn't do it worth his salt. Many pioneers didn't see family and Charles didn't see his parents often or Caroline and siblings? Most people didn't have money to travel and I just saw other ways to make the show more believable. Even saying she was very ill was better than dead. It wasn't like anyone on the show saw family really so being shocked her kids were so inconsiderate was over the top. I expected Charles or Caroline to say how they rarely hear from family but it wasn't scripted that way. They weren't nice kids but a priest writing them about how forlourn mom was would have worked too.

I liked seeing the "wake" because it seemed background characters were almost doing an adlib with dialogue and it was nice seeing everyone in one room. The plot, a bit much.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

The other weird thing about the fake death episode - it’s only the sixth episode of the entire series. The Ingalls just got to town! Had they really run out of ideas for Ingalls-centric episodes already? I guess in the Landonverse, it’s never too early to start doing bizarre episodes that don’t really fit in with the rest of the series.

My theory is that it was a leftover Bonanza script from when that show was cancelled midseason the year before.

• Love 2
(edited)

I know it's a show and all that and continuity wasn't important back then, but I always get a kick that the first episode of season 2 was the Ingalls being dirt poor, owing a huge tab at Oelson's then 2 episodes later Walnut Grove is getting a bank and Charles is trying to get a loan

Great episodes though but just kinda funny in a way

Edited by jason88cubs
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The other weird thing about the fake death episode - it’s only the sixth episode of the entire series. The Ingalls just got to town! Had they really run out of ideas for Ingalls-centric episodes already? I guess in the Landonverse, it’s never too early to start doing bizarre episodes that don’t really fit in with the rest of the series.

My theory is that it was a leftover Bonanza script from when that show was cancelled midseason the year before.

True, not to mention, it seemed unusual in that time and place  that the Ingallses (especially Ma) would have befriended an elderly 'Papist'. I guess they didn't want the show to get bogged in just how bigoted many  pioneers could be but, back then, just as Protestants weren't as accepting to Jewish folks (which the show depicted) or Native American religions, Protestants and Catholics often were just barely 'cordial when necessary' to each other- if not openly hostile towards each due solely due to their differing faiths in the mid 19th century Midwest.  I mean, at most, I could imagine the Ingalls parents feeling sorry for Mrs. Hearn from  a distance but NOT actually being near besties with her  (for her one episode, natch) much less helping her orchestrate her 'premature demise'. And where would she have found an English-speaking priest so easily in rural Minnesota? There weren't huge numbers of Irish Catholics living there at that point and the few Catholics would have been from the French-Canadian settlers that had managed to venture south of International Falls (with most of them speaking French as a first if not only language) . 

Of course, as @debraran mentioned, traveling wasn't something that was easy or cheap for folks back then so I agree that it seemed a bit much that Mrs. Hearn would have expected her prodigal grown kids to instantly drop everything to visit her and dis them for not having done so after her 'death'. IMO, the only one that truly deserved to have been eviscerated was the son who had somehow faked his own death for fifteen years( of course, he had no leg to stand on dissing her for doing the same thing). But then, the question arises as to WHY he would have done that? Could it possibly have been that she (and/or the rest of the family) may not have been as warm, supportive and positive as they'd have wanted the neighbors to believe? Yes, that question would have been interesting to explore but they totally just swept that under the carpet with the 'bad son faked his death. The end'. deal.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

True, not to mention, it seemed unusual in that time and place  that the Ingallses (especially Ma) would have befriended an elderly 'Papist'. I guess they didn't want the show to get bogged in just how bigoted many  pioneers could be but, back then, just as Protestants weren't as accepting to Jewish folks (which the show depicted) or Native American religions, Protestants and Catholics often were just barely 'cordial when necessary' to each other- if not openly hostile towards each due solely due to their differing faiths in the mid 19th century Midwest.  I mean, at most, I could imagine the Ingalls parents feeling sorry for Mrs. Hearn from  a distance but NOT actually being near besties with her  (for her one episode, natch) much less helping her orchestrate her 'premature demise'. And where would she have found an English-speaking priest so easily in rural Minnesota? There weren't huge numbers of Irish Catholics living there at that point and the few Catholics would have been from the French-Canadian settlers that had managed to venture south of International Falls (with most of them speaking French as a first if not only language) . 

Of course, as @debraran mentioned, traveling wasn't something that was easy or cheap for folks back then so I agree that it seemed a bit much that Mrs. Hearn would have expected her prodigal grown kids to instantly drop everything to visit her and dis them for not having done so after her 'death'. IMO, the only one that truly deserved to have been eviscerated was the son who had somehow faked his own death for fifteen years( of course, he had no leg to stand on dissing her for doing the same thing). But then, the question arises as to WHY he would have done that? Could it possibly have been that she (and/or the rest of the family) may not have been as warm, supportive and positive as they'd have wanted the neighbors to believe? Yes, that question would have been interesting to explore but they totally just swept that under the carpet with the 'bad son faked his death. The end'. deal.

I thought of that too, everyone was supposed to be so warm back then, so "family oriented", not like the selfish ones we see today (tongue in cheek) It reminded me of a woman my mom lived near in a senior building. Always saying how her 5 kids never see her, hardly come over and how sad it is. Sometimes she has little food and they want her to feed them if they stop by. I tell her any kid who does that, may be selfish but if 5 do it, there is something you don't know. She shakes her head, but i tell her most families have secrets and I'm sure she does. This son on LHOP had a reason to do that, one we will never know.

Did it ever occur to her to ask if she could go there? She wasn't working or dealing with young children? Maybe go help with the home. I kept thinking that as she plotted her demise.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

When the James brothers came to town and his out in that house...wasn't that used in a previous episode?

I swear I saw that somewhere but can't recall

Do you mean that big house they use over and over?  Or a different one?  

16 hours ago, debraran said:

I thought of that too, everyone was supposed to be so warm back then, so "family oriented", not like the selfish ones we see today (tongue in cheek) It reminded me of a woman my mom lived near in a senior building. Always saying how her 5 kids never see her, hardly come over and how sad it is. Sometimes she has little food and they want her to feed them if they stop by. I tell her any kid who does that, may be selfish but if 5 do it, there is something you don't know. She shakes her head, but i tell her most families have secrets and I'm sure she does. This son on LHOP had a reason to do that, one we will never know.

Did it ever occur to her to ask if she could go there? She wasn't working or dealing with young children? Maybe go help with the home. I kept thinking that as she plotted her demise.

Yeah, I agree that since Mrs. Hearn not only was a widow but had just buried her housemate, seemed reasonably healthy for her age and evidently was fiscally comfortable with no work or caregiving obligations , there should have at least been some discussion as to her possibly visiting her (known) living children before she attempted the 'fake death'.  Yes, I know travel back then was no breeze for anyone of any age but if she was in reasonably good health (and perhaps got Doc Baker's okay), I don't see why she couldn't have done the stagecoach/ railroad deal. Still, even if her offspring had previously and/or currently (as per the storyline) blown her off, I agree that it would have been far better had Mrs. Hearn have made the plea about needing their company to keep from dying of loneliness (and perhaps the English-speaking priest could have cosigned on this pressing on the Fifth Commandment) rather than concoct her own funeral to draw them in.  

Still, regardless of how charming and jovial she appeared to the Ingallses as a friendly neighbor, it's not impossible that she may not have been as wonderful to her offspring when they were younger  as the Ingallses' wanted to believe and it could have been a case of her reaping what she had previously sowed ( which may have been an MO re the son who faked his own death for fifteen years) OR her children could have individually or collectively been just self-centered jerks for no good reason after she had been a wonderful parent to them. Either of the two scenarios (among others)  is possible and it would been worth exploring one or all the grown kids' MO's instead of just automatically presuming that it HAD to be the latter case simply because she seemed so wonderful to the Ingallses as a neighbor. 

• Love 1