Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Myabe I missed it but before this episode did they even have a lock on their door?

I cant recall a episode befopre where they mentioned a lock

When they moved in the house, Charles gave her the key when the girls went to make their beds. She said she was afraid of the wolves but now she wouldn't be (?) Charles said he didn't know she ever was, she hid it well.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, debraran said:

When they moved in the house, Charles gave her the key when the girls went to make their beds. She said she was afraid of the wolves but now she wouldn't be (?) Charles said he didn't know she ever was, she hid it well.

Because of a lock?  Wolves don't usually open unlocked doors, either.  Now, coyotes on the other hand, a lock won't stop them.  Most of them have lock picking kits from Acme.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Speaking of clothes, I seem to recall that they still had much of the LHOTP wardrobe available at the time Dr Quinn Medicine Woman was starting and asked if they wanted to use the clothing.

You'll be shocked to hear they hastily declined.

Not entirely! 

Miss Arngrim recounted how she and Miss Gilbert would gross each other out by how rank their respective woolen pioneer clothes would get as the seasons wore on despite the fact that these 20th century performers bathed daily but the wardrobes couldn't get washed as frequently. Of course, it was eye-opening to them to realize that if the clothes they only wore x number of hours during the X number of days weekly shooting schedule could so easily get smelly  even with access to soap and water, they realized how even MORE rank authentic pioneers who wore these clothes constantly for sometimes months or even years on end and rarely bathed! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Because of a lock?  Wolves don't usually open unlocked doors, either.  Now, coyotes on the other hand, a lock won't stop them.  Most of them have lock picking kits from Acme.

Very odd, I always noted it. This video is bad but early on, 4:18, Charles gives her the key. Right before they catch Carrie going up ladder.

Yes, re the clothes, not romantic at all, seeing how sweaty and dirty Charles and others got, even the kids running around and they would hang their clothes up dirty (barn please!!) and put them back on in the morning. Washing wasn't at will and drying took a while. Seeing Mr Edwards had one shirt, maybe that was why : )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, debraran said:

ahh ok thanks!

even though they had a lock, I doubt they used it very much

• Love 2

In the books, there was nearly a chapter about how Pa fashioned a lock for one of their homes, if I remember correctly.  As good as Ms Wilder's writing was, I remember having a hard time understanding the mechanics of said lock.  I should re-read it now as an adult to see if it makes sense now.  Anyone recall what I am referring to and which book it's in?

• Love 1
(edited)

I remember what you're talking about, but I also had a hard time figuring out what the hell she was talking about. I have a hard time understanding anything mechanical, though. 

I think it's in the book Little House on the Prairie, when they are out in Kansas. Actually looks like that is talking about how they locked the stable. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

In the books, there was nearly a chapter about how Pa fashioned a lock for one of their homes, if I remember correctly.  As good as Ms Wilder's writing was, I remember having a hard time understanding the mechanics of said lock.  I should re-read it now as an adult to see if it makes sense now.  Anyone recall what I am referring to and which book it's in?

In Little House on the Prairie, he makes a latch on the inside that has a long strap. If the strap is put outside through a hole in the door, one could pull it and open the door. If the strap is brought in, you can't open the door. 

Is that what you meant? Feel free to correct me if I got some details wrong. 

On a similar note, LIW could really go into explicit detail about something! I just finished These Happy Golden Years and she goes ON about the dresses she and Ma made. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I bet they really enjoyed spring and summer back then, later sunset, could be out doing picnics, playing games

Yeah, but IRL they very rarely got to do any of that. I recall one time Ma (in the books) hoped her daughters would get to enjoy themselves the ONE free day they'd have before months of nonstop hard farm work. 

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Yeah, but IRL they very rarely got to do any of that. I recall one time Ma (in the books) hoped her daughters would get to enjoy themselves the ONE free day they'd have before months of nonstop hard farm work. 

True. LHOP romantizes the time. Michael and Karen knew it but Mike wanted it to be watcher friendly. Caroline did a lot on her own we didn't see and the girls had light chores in the morning because the shows had to follow them around while they explored or got into trouble. ; )  Much more viewer friendly for sure.

Really free time would be fishing for dinner or collecting berries for pies and things like that. I never saw any toys either although you could make blocks etc. I know the house was small but a book or two or blocks. Pioneer kids did games I liked as a kid, I SPY, marbles, jacks, checkers. Checkers was something I thought they'd teach the girls, but it was mainly a guy thing with Doc and Hansen. ; ) I am just glad I didn't have to fill a huge bucket with water and use harsh soap to clean my husbands clothes caked with dirt and grime and try not to destroy more delicate items. Panties weren't a big thing then, they just had tights or petticoats from what I read. I mean why have another thing to wash? And don't google how they handled periods, I'll stay in 2021 thank you.  Women suffered in so many ways.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, debraran said:

I never saw any toys either although you could make blocks etc. I know the house was small but a book or two or blocks.

I remember in one of the books, probably LH in the Big Woods, Laura had a rag doll.  Her mother gave it away to a relative, Laura got upset and then in the spring they found it because the other little girl had thrown it out in the snow.

• Love 4
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I remember in one of the books, probably LH in the Big Woods, Laura had a rag doll.  Her mother gave it away to a relative, Laura got upset and then in the spring they found it because the other little girl had thrown it out in the snow.

Yes, and in the show, Laura had one break. But as handy as Ma was with needle and thread I thought they'd have a doll or Pa would get them a ball to play with. In some ways even the Oleson's weren't realistic, they had lots of toys and things but how did their chores get done being in store all day?  They still had a home to clean and store and clothes to wash and dinner to get ready. Not by their kids! Someone had to kill the animal to get the roast and peel the potatoes and pick the vegetables.  Laura did visit old men a lot. lol   I don't think Ma counted on her too much to help out. Setting the table was shown often but not cleaning up.

I don't mind the lack of realism but when someone says they want to live that way, I don't think they understand how it really was. Even our off grid housing today is better than that.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I was about to say that I was outraged by that as a kid, but just thinking about it makes me mad now, too! 😅

• Love 6

I remember in the books that Pa taught Laura how to play checkers but the others weren't interested. Grace got a wooden toy for Christmas during the Long Winter. Mrs. Boast gave them stacks of publications and Laura read out loud the stories while Ma and Carrie took care of dinner. The girls get to play with the pig bladder balloon once a year, LOL.

But I agree play time have to be between the many chores. There was a nice sunny day between blizzards and Ma did all the chores so the girls can enjoy that one day. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Charlotte the rag doll. 

Ma gave her away to a bratty little girl in On The Banks of Plum Creek (she was given to her to play with on a visit to the Ingalls’ because she was ripping up their paper dolls and refused to give her back when her mother decided it was time to go home).

One of a few times when I said, “Bite me, Ma!”

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes, and in the show, Laura had one break. But as handy as Ma was with needle and thread I thought they'd have a doll or Pa would get them a ball to play with. In some ways even the Oleson's weren't realistic, they had lots of toys and things but how did their chores get done being in store all day?  They still had a home to clean and store and clothes to wash and dinner to get ready. Not by their kids! Someone had to kill the animal to get the roast and peel the potatoes and pick the vegetables.  Laura did visit old men a lot. lol   I don't think Ma counted on her too much to help out. Setting the table was shown often but not cleaning up.

I don't mind the lack of realism but when someone says they want to live that way, I don't think they understand how it really was. Even our off grid housing today is better than that.

I think the Oleson's paid or gave credit to people who brought in meat, thats what I imagine

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

The girls get to play with the pig bladder balloon once a year, LOL.

Melissa Gilbert said in an interview, that the pig bladder scene was the only one she had hoped they would do on the show.  She was disappointed they didn't do it.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Melissa Gilbert said in an interview, that the pig bladder scene was the only one she had hoped they would do on the show.  She was disappointed they didn't do it.

Maybe ML didn't think it would be Kosher for either of them to be seen swatting around a pig bladder. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 5/23/2021 at 3:37 AM, debraran said:

Someone had to kill the animal to get the roast and peel the potatoes and pick the vegetables. 

On 5/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, jason88cubs said:

I think the Oleson's paid or gave credit to people who brought in meat, thats what I imagine

Yeah, somewhere along the way, I decided that the Oleson's paid some farmer for fresh cut meat. And then that farmer in turn spent that money at the Mercantile. Win-win all around. As for vegetables, I could see the Oleson's tending a garden, but if not then they probably bought their veggies from a local farmer as well. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

Yeah, somewhere along the way, I decided that the Oleson's paid some farmer for fresh cut meat. And then that farmer in turn spent that money at the Mercantile. Win-win all around. As for vegetables, I could see the Oleson's tending a garden, but if not then they probably bought their veggies from a local farmer as well. 

I think they might have showed a garden once. It might have been flowers though. I saw her once doing laundry, just once, but seriously those chores were very time consuming. Her kids weren't shown doing chores and they both seemed to be in the store a lot. Not very accurate but watching Harriet dust was the most we got to see.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, debraran said:

I think they might have showed a garden once. It might have been flowers though. I saw her once doing laundry, just once, but seriously those chores were very time consuming. Her kids weren't shown doing chores and they both seemed to be in the store a lot. Not very accurate but watching Harriet dust was the most we got to see.

theoretically, Nellie helped out in the store because Nels had to hire Mary when Nellie was studying for that test.  If she genuinely wasn't any help, he wouldn't have had to bother.   But, that's just the nature of TV.  Even when you watch a workplace comedy, you rarely see any actual work being done.  Everybody on TV has a spotless home (unless it's a plot point that they are a complete slob) and you rarely see anyone clean (unless it's a plot point that they're a neat freak.  I'm looking at you Danny Tanner and Monica.)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

We never saw Mrs. Oleson anywhere close to a henhouse but somehow she had  white-shelled eggs to sell at the Mercantile beside's Ma's brown ones so it's likely some other farmers or even  'farmeresses' (as unmarried or widowed women farmers were called back them) may have sold/bartered them to Harriet. 

• Love 1

When Nellie graduated, she made a speech mentioning 'friends and others' but, even though she always had folks attending her fancy parties, I can't recall her actually having a single, actual friend (and it seemed most if not all the attendees were there for the free, swanky food and a chance to see what her abode looked like- rather than wanting to be with her). 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

What was the graduation episode called? I don't remember it.

It was Back to School, part 1, the episode where Almanzo and Eliza Jane first show up.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

I thought sometimes the Oelson's had to much merchandise in their store.

Walnut Grove seemed like a poor town so some of the stuff they had seemed really unnecessary.

I don't know. Some of those folks (who we see once and never again) have nice houses with fancy furniture and lamps and stuff. We're just used to the Ingalls.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Also one of the earlier episodes featured someone complaining about how that store was the only one nearby; otherwise, they'd go elsewhere to shop to avoid Harrient. I imagine the Olesens did a lot of trade with farmers in outlying areas simply because they were the closest store. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Zella said:

Also one of the earlier episodes featured someone complaining about how that store was the only one nearby; otherwise, they'd go elsewhere to shop to avoid Harrient. I imagine the Olesens did a lot of trade with farmers in outlying areas simply because they were the closest store. 

I remember the show where a recurring character  said after looking at fabric a while, said she would look in Mankato because they had more of a selection. Caroline of course bought some because she wasn't as fussy and couldn't get to Mankato. ; )

I marveled at their money because even though they lived in a farming community, they bought everything in the store, some very nice things and had mostly people buying everyday essentials. That's why all the "credit" they gave didn't buy those items. "Put in on the books please" certainly wouldn't exist today unless it was YOUR credit card.

• Love 3
(edited)

^Ha ha, me too! I even had to skip back to beginning and check if it had the LH intro or not.  But it was a very cool way to open an episode. And for me, as a Finnish guy, it was funny when the woman complained their truck was hot like a sauna.

They also used that same plot device later in season 9 when Landon said in voiceover those famous words about LIW's books: "This time, no one made any changes." He would have shown nice self-irony had he added "except for me, of course".

Edited by Pirpana
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I was looking at old schedules to see what LHOP was going up against, man I can't even imagine living during that time having to choose between shows. Not knowing in the future I could watch any episode I missed due to this wonderful thing called DVD'S.

I saw the show went up against WKRP for 2 years. I would have lost my mind trying to pick between the two.

Well actully if i was  a teenage boy I'm sure WKRP would have been the choice then the last half hour would have been LHOP

• Love 1
(edited)

On the subject of picking between LHOTP and other shows:

About 15 years ago when she was still alive, my great grandmother would watch her soap (Days of Our Lives) religiously every weekday and then turn the TV off for a couple of hours and turn it back on for LHOTP reruns on another channel. When she would turn it back on, Jerry Springer would be on on the soap channel, and she would bitch about the couple of minutes of Jerry she would watch before she flipped it over. "Look at that trash! Look at it!"

"Now this is a nice show!" She'd say after we got to LHOTP. 

I never actually paid attention to LHOTP at the time, but since she seemed so distressed about Jerry Springer, I once suggested to her that we just change it over to the LHOTP channel after the soap was over, so she never had to see Jerry again.

And she glared at me like that was the stupidest idea she had ever heard, and in that moment, I realized that that minute or two of Jerry Springer that she complained about bitterly every day was actually the highlight of her day more so than LHOTP, though she liked that too. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I saw the show went up against WKRP for 2 years. I would have lost my mind trying to pick between the two.

WKRP creator Hugh Wilson spoke of his frustration at trying to beat Little House in the ratings. “Every time we gain on 'em, they set a house on fire or blind another child.”

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

I just caught the episode where Nellie graduates and didn''t see any party.  (unless I totally missed it or it was removed in a syndication edit).  They took the class out of school to unveil the new Hotel and Restaurant whereupon Harriet gets caught up in the tarp during the unveiling.  Then Miss Wilder hurried the kids back into school and Nels and Harriet dragged Nellie into the restaurant.  When was the party?

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Kyle said:

WKRP creator Hugh Wilson spoke of his frustration at trying to beat Little House in the ratings. “Every time we gain on 'em, they set a house on fire or blind another child.”

Of course, it likely didn't help that right about the time when Loni Anderson was in her prime Miss Arngrim herself had a bikini photo out.  And let's not forget that on WKRP Herb's wife Lucille said that their family  only watched 'wholesome shows like Little House ' and then mentioned all the disasters on it that transpired! 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I just caught the episode where Nellie graduates and didn''t see any party.  (unless I totally missed it or it was removed in a syndication edit).  They took the class out of school to unveil the new Hotel and Restaurant whereupon Harriet gets caught up in the tarp during the unveiling.  Then Miss Wilder hurried the kids back into school and Nels and Harriet dragged Nellie into the restaurant.  When was the party?

It happened when Nels 'gladly' ceded to Harriet's wish to 'kindly leave' Nellie and her- and then Harriet almost succeeded in guilt-tripping Nellie into appreciating the hotel as a husband-magnet (read: fortune-hunter magnet) for her. This was one of the very few times in which Harriet spoke in a low tone of voice instead of her usual high-pitched hysterical shrieking and that alone may have spurred Nellie to carefully listen. However, just when Harriet was on the cusp of 'victory', she handed Nellie all the ammo her daughter needed by asking her if she had 'any questions' which led Nellie to re-iterate her original query of 'Who is going to do the cook-ing?'

Yeah, no doubt Nels was happy to party on his own away from those two AND the rest of Nellie's schoolmates got over missing it at Eliza Jane's insistence of returning to school straight away. 

• Love 1

Ah, “Back to School” - probably my favorite episodes of the series, with so many great moments: Nellie’s graduation speech, Harriet imploring the students to tell their parents about the restaurant (in the middle of the street), “Who’s going to do the cooking”, cinnamon chicken, the runaway millstone (and Pa hiding behind those flimsy doors), the mud fight, Harriet’s satisfied smirk in the background when mud-covered Nellie is telling the Ingalls that Almanzo kissed Laura. This was also the year where they transitioned Nellie from emotionally troubled schoolgirl to all-out comic relief, and Alison Arngrim was more than up to the challenge.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I was looking at old schedules to see what LHOP was going up against, man I can't even imagine living during that time having to choose between shows. Not knowing in the future I could watch any episode I missed due to this wonderful thing called DVD'S.

Well actully if i was  a teenage boy I'm sure WKRP would have been the choice then the last half hour would have been LHOP

I watched exactly 2 episode in their first run: Mary Goes Blind, and Let's Blow Up the Town. It just wasn't cool to watch Little House when I was a boy of a certain age. It probably never was cool, but after that certain age, I didn't care anymore. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I do recall them not having a lot of rain in episodes at least rain you saw. Probably hard to get that set up filming wise

Hmmm... I can only think of a handful of weather related episodes:

• Ma almost cuts off her leg: she has to go get the cow out of the rain. Interesting, because the rest of the family is camping, not that far away, but they don't mention it. 
  • The beginning of Gold Rush, when they're leaving the town, it's raining, and you can see that it's still California sunny out. 
  • The one where Charles & Jonathon follow Albert and Andy and it rains on them. 
  • I vaguely recall it raining in the one where Edward's son is killed in Chicago and they go to find out what happened, but I won't swear to it. 
  • Hail in 100 Mile Walk destroys the crop
  • And of course snow in Blizzard
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Kyle said:

There was also snow in “A Christmas They Never Forgot”, which ended with that silly shot of the little house being buried in snow up to the second floor.

which somehow resulted in NO CONCERN for the animals or the fact that they would likely starve to death due to running out of food because their were trapped for probably at least 2 or more weeks

I mean their was a lot of concern in the episode where they go caught in the blizzard where they shacked up and Charles almost killed the horse

but in this episode? Nah lets just laugh and gather the presents

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I mean their was a lot of concern in the episode where they go caught in the blizzard where they shacked up and Charles almost killed the horse

That's another weather one! I just saw it for the first time a week or so ago. Pretty good episode. I think they shot in on a soundstage, not outside. 

1 minute ago, Superclam said:

That's another weather one! I just saw it for the first time a week or so ago. Pretty good episode. I think they shot in on a soundstage, not outside. 

yea it's a great episode. One of my favs.

• Love 4