Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

Nancy is the Allison Sugarbaker of Little House on the Prairie. Talk about no redeeming qualities whatsoever. There was one episode toward the end where Willie got married and Nancy acted like a fun-loving, mischievous little girl as opposed to a total psychopath. The young actress was capable of pulling that off - if only they had written her like that all the time.

• Love 4

Blowing up the town was one of the few scenes I liked in that movie. At least there was some excitement. The business deals and the rabbit scenes were boring.

In the beginning of the movie, school was letting out and Jenny and Nancy waved goodbye to each other like they were besties. Huh? Did I miss something?  And then I thought how interesting it would have been if they *were* friends and influencing each other.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

In the beginning of the movie, school was letting out and Jenny and Nancy waved goodbye to each other like they were besties. Huh? Did I miss something?  And then I thought how interesting it would have been if they *were* friends and influencing each other.

This is a recurring thing with all the kids I never got. They continue to play with each other, no matter how awful the other child is. I can't imagine why any of the kids would ever have played with Nancy after some of the shit she pulled, but the same thing also happened with Nellie and, to be fair, Laura too. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Blowing up the town was one of the few scenes I liked in that movie. At least there was some excitement. The business deals and the rabbit scenes were boring.

That last scene with the rabbits was Landon’s attempt at setting up a spinoff, Little Hutch on the Prairie, where the bunnies attempt to set up a new, more progressive society in the ruins of Walnut Grove. NBC passed.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Kyle said:

That last scene with the rabbits was Landon’s attempt at setting up a spinoff, Little Hutch on the Prairie, where the bunnies attempt to set up a new, more progressive society in the ruins of Walnut Grove. NBC passed.

Based on Watership Down?

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, Zella said:

This is a recurring thing with all the kids I never got. They continue to play with each other, no matter how awful the other child is. I can't imagine why any of the kids would ever have played with Nancy after some of the shit she pulled, but the same thing also happened with Nellie and, to be fair, Laura too. 

Well, they never showed many of the "good kids" like Elmer and Olga , Abel, and others again. Anyone bullied, seemed to disappear except the stars, the Ingall's. I do think the rich kids on the block had some appeal. That yearly birthday party or other event had you look through a real catalog so to speak, of store bought furniture and glass dolls and toys and loads of candy. I felt for Ma once when the girls went on about her house and Pa brought up Ma's fritters or something like that. : )  Well, she could have had nice dishes but we wont regurgitate that again. lol

Overall, the Ingall's had less all the time compared to their friends or neighbors (except Edwards alone) but if they got too much, it would have changed the basis that they didn't need much. I did feel for Caroline though, she got her stove and kitchen (with Chris's help) but with a handy husband and some very well paid extra jobs, they never did move ahead at all. Even Laura started with more!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, debraran said:

Overall, the Ingall's had less all the time compared to their friends or neighbors (except Edwards alone) but if they got too much, it would have changed the basis that they didn't need much. I did feel for Caroline though, she got her stove and kitchen (with Chris's help) but with a handy husband and some very well paid extra jobs, they never did move ahead at all. Even Laura started with more!

It was just ridiculous that they never added on to the house.I mean, he built the entire house in three weeks, seems like he could have slapped on addition pretty easily. They were planning to do that when Granddad came to live with them, and he asked Charles to hold off. Seems like at some point Caroline would have said "no more orphans until we get another room or three!"  During the last few seasons, after Mr. Hanson died, didn't Charles and Jonathan run the lumber mill together?

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, jird said:

It was just ridiculous that they never added on to the house.I mean, he built the entire house in three weeks, seems like he could have slapped on addition pretty easily. They were planning to do that when Granddad came to live with them, and he asked Charles to hold off. Seems like at some point Caroline would have said "no more orphans until we get another room or three!"  During the last few seasons, after Mr. Hanson died, didn't Charles and Jonathan run the lumber mill together?

Yep! But they were also supposedly full-time farmers but the Ingallses seemed to be able to make it to the black for more than one Very Special Episode. Of course, the show never spelled out exactly who OWNED the sawmill after Mr. Hansen's death  so it's possible that whoever owned it may have paid them no more and perhaps even less than Mr. Hansen had paid them(though it's hard to imagine that had it been the Olesons that Mrs. Oleson wouldn't have attempted to queen it over Charles and Jonathan). 

• Love 3

I was watching Mary Is a Big Fat Loser at the State Math Competition. Did we all know that Vera from Alice is the lady who checks Mary in to the contest???

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, jird said:

They mentioned doing in the episode where James and Froggy came to live with them. But they decided not to and Laura’s narration stated that the Little House was full...OF LOVE!

• LOL 3
27 minutes ago, Kyle said:

They mentioned doing in the episode where James and Froggy came to live with them. But they decided not to and Laura’s narration stated that the Little House was full...OF LOVE!

Wouldn't that house have been   full of claustrophobia ? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

they were also supposedly full-time farmers

They are also the laziest farmers I've ever seen! 🤣  I will never not find it funny every time they woke up, and it was daylight outside.

Almanzo's schedule also always confused me. He seemed to freight full-time while also farming while Laura taught full-time. It was clearly an early 1980s schedule rather than an 1880s one. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Mr. Edwards had plenty of time before marriage. He could have helped Charles build an addition to the house. He helped them in the pilot movie.

That was before all the orphans but there can never be too much privacy.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Mr. Edwards had plenty of time before marriage. He could have helped Charles build an addition to the house. He helped them in the pilot movie.

Unfortunately, that conflicts with the LHOTP mantra of “there can never be too many orphans.”

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Especially for all that popcorn popping and eating.

b2880482727bd1c9e1d6a567d02c8a0e.gif

• LOL 3
52 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Especially for all that popcorn popping and eating.

Everytime I see Charles and Caroline eating popcorn in bed, I wonder if the real pioneers did that?   I would think that having popcorn woudl be more of a family treat that the whole family shared.  (Laura and Almanzo had at least one bed-popcorn scene as well)

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think the real pioneers were too damned exhausted at the end of the day to sit up in bed, eating popcorn and exchanging witticisms. They were also too busy/poor to go on vacation trips for class reunions.

Not to mention, I don't think you would get enough light from one of those oil lamps to try to read like Charles was doing.  It's like there's some kind of magic overhead light in that room.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

Not to mention, I don't think you would get enough light from one of those oil lamps to try to read like Charles was doing.  It's like there's some kind of magic overhead light in that room.

Yes, the camera lights help. When they do show how realistic it is, as with Mary once, it is much more dim.

I googled history of popcorn, the Indians first had it and pioneers picked it up. They would hold ear over fire and i would pop and spray outward but some kernels would get lost. Then it was slowly perfected. Now some of us microwave. ; ) (and we still lose kernels)

I also read:

Corn was domesticated about 10,000 years ago in what is now Mexico. Archaeologists discovered that people have known about popcorn for thousands of years. In Mexico, for example, remnants of popcorn have been found that date circa 3600 BC

• Love 3

Let's not forget that Carrie supposedly slept in a trundle bed at the foot of the Ingall Parents' bed so she heard EVERTHING from popcorn eating to the conceptions of her doomed brother Freddie and her baby sister Grace! Is it any wonder that she grew   to be a sullen and dull preteen?

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I can't imagine them eating in bed. With the bugs and rats and mice that were around you think eating in bed would be a big NO NO. I mean even today alot of people dont eat in bed. Can't image the Ingalls doing that

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I can't imagine them eating in bed. With the bugs and rats and mice that were around you think eating in bed would be a big NO NO. I mean even today alot of people dont eat in bed. Can't image the Ingalls doing that

I've also never seen the point.  You will need to get up again to brush your teeth.  And if you're washing it down with a liquid, you'll probably want to pee again before you go to sleep so you don't have to get up in the middle of the night.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I've always felt the movie pilot is just amazing. Thats always a must watch for me

Yes, it's the closest they would ever come to the books. 

Except perhaps Country Girls and Town Party, Country Party.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I've also never seen the point.  You will need to get up again to brush your teeth.  And if you're washing it down with a liquid, you'll probably want to pee again before you go to sleep so you don't have to get up in the middle of the night.

I don’t think they ever brushed their teeth or showed it. Shave, yes. I did note Ma had pretty smooth legs when she cut herself 🙂. Not really accurate. 

Edited by debraran
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

Maybe they didn't want to share with the kids?

Like they couldn't smell it in the loft and certainly Carrie's bed.

• LOL 4
(edited)

Yes, the pilot and those early episodes mentioned above are very strong. Harriet is kind of sinister in those early episodes like “Country Girls,” vs the comic relief she eventually turned into. Katherine MacGregor was excellent at both portrayals.

I’m also partial to “Remember Me,” where Edwards and Grace adopt the orphaned Sanderson children. Yeah, it’s melodramatic and explores one of Landon’s favorite topics - finding homes for orphans. But it hadn’t been overused at that point, and we also got a great guest appearance from Patricia Neal. It would have even been more effective if we had seen the Sandersons occasionally prior to that, but that’s a quibble. Besides, I’ve always had a soft spot for Bonnie Bartlett (Grace) and her beautiful smile.

Edited by Kyle
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Yes, the pilot and those early episodes mentioned above are very strong. Harriet is kind of sinister in those early episodes like “Country Girls,” vs the comic relief she eventually turned into. Katherine MacGregor excellent at both portrayals.

I’m also partial to “Remember Me,” where Edwards and Grace adopt the orphaned Sanderson children. Yeah, it’s melodramatic and explores one of Landon’s favorite topics - finding homes for orphans. But it hadn’t been overused at that point, and we also got a great guest appearance from Patricia Neal. It would have even been more effective if we had seen the Sandersons occasionally prior to that, but that’s a quibble. Besides, I’ve always had a soft spot for Bonnie Bartlett (Grace) and her beautiful smile.

I think it's the first of the show's adoption storylines--at least that I can remember--and I agree that it is actually well done and really benefits from it not being a tired trope by that point. The focus isn't also on Pa being the most wonderful man in the world, which helps. LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

Yes, it's the closest they would ever come to the books. 

Except perhaps Country Girls and Town Party, Country Party.

It's very loose, but in "The Long Winter" they get out of school in a blizzard and have a rough walk home. Nothing like the "Blizzard" episode, of course. Which is on right now! 

I just started reading "These Happy Golden Years" and Laura teaching and staying at the mean people's house reminds me a little of "Whisper Country," except with Laura instead of Mary. 

"On The Banks of Plum Creek" is the most like the show. "Little Town on the Prairie" really has nothing to do with the show except Almanzo interested in Laura. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

Maybe they didn't want to share with the kids?

Like they couldn't smell it in the loft and certainly Carrie's bed.

Carrie saw and heard WAY too much. Lol. No wonder she had fantasy friends. I note when anyone copied the little house whether a doll house or life size model, they never had that bed as part of the decor. It was so cramped. Another reason Graces cradle wasn’t shown either. Where would it go? 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
(edited)

I just watched episode with Perley Day Wilder. It's funny how in previous pair of episodes Albert practically killed Andy's mom and now they bicker over affection of some random girl like nothing's happened. And moreover, it's Albert really who is anrgy a Andy, you'd think he would be still sorry for what he did.

And at the beginning of that episode Jonathan tells Charles he won't be able to participate town picnic because Alice's mother got birthday and he's gonna visit her. However, Andy is there. Why Jonathan left without him? A bit strange considering the boy just lost his mother. And not a single line of dialog to Charles asking if Andy could stay at the Ingalls. Was he home alone or what?

EDIT: The episode had a nice piece of continuity from deaf-Dylan episode at the beginning, though. Carrie runs out of the house on her way to the outhouse (What else?) and now Bandit is in doghouse Albert built for him. Although now it is Carrie's playhouse. And this time it's not a mistake made by writer but actually funny turn of event.

Edited by Pirpana
Mention of continuity
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I've always felt the movie pilot is just amazing. Thats always a must watch for me

I agree! It captured not just the struggles of this family for shelter, food and clothing while making their way to a new home and having to work together to make said home from literally the ground up but also both Miss Gilbert and Mr. Landon gave flawless performances as a child and parent wanting to do right by their family!  Yes, the series became broader (and more soapy and corny) quite quickly  and soon ditched 'the books' but nothing can take away from that pilot! 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I wonder if they stayed up till midnight on New Years eve back then?

City folks might have, but I doubt farmers did since they were getting up before dawn for chores. 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I wonder if they stayed up till midnight on New Years eve back then?

Probably not farmers.  Because the cows have to be milked every 12 or 24 hours (depending on their current milking schedule) and they got up at 4 or 5 that morning and have to get up at 4 or 5 the next morning.  Cityfolk?  Probably.

Edit: @Zella jinx.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
(edited)

One thing about the house/loft I never thought about, concentrating on lack of privacy in the downstairs area, was the lack of walls upstairs. Except for fireplace/chinmey area which had their table for brushes etc. up against it, when they had to dress, both sides of their room was open. Besides voices being heard, I think as I got older, I'd like a little more privacy. Even Ma and Pa really had none.

image.png.307ec9937b50d30bcd16ff8d22139814.png

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, debraran said:

One thing about the house/loft I never thought about, concentrating on lack of privacy in the downstairs area, was the lack of walls upstairs. Except for fireplace/chinmey area which had their table for brushes etc. up against it, when they had to dress, both sides of their room was open. Besides voices being heard, I think as I got older, I'd like a little more privacy. Even Ma and Pa really had none.

image.png.307ec9937b50d30bcd16ff8d22139814.png

If they're going to heat the whole place with that one fireplace, walls would be a hindrance.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

If they're going to heat the whole place with that one fireplace, walls would be a hindrance.

Sheet? I can see that  but maybe something like they did with the boys later they can push aside. Anyone walking in could see them too but I guess privacy wasn't their biggest concern. With the boys, I realized even their sheet was across their beds not toward the kitchen. It wasn't always cold but I can see not constricting heat especially at night.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Zella said:

City folks might have, but I doubt farmers did since they were getting up before dawn for chores. 

I'd just like to picture Charles playing his fiddle all night, the one time a yera he played it while Mr Edwards got drunk while singing ol Man Tucker

• LOL 4

OT but curious- how many of you watched in real time *The Waltons* as well?   I lived in Pacific Time zone then and show was aired much later at night. I never was able to see it then, lolol. I was also a bit young to fully appreciate it. I was aware of its existence, but that was about it. As an adult who viewed the dvds about 10 years ago, I noticed some plot overlap with LH,lolol. 

That show never really maintained the amount of traction on this board (and the old TWOP?) iirc.  I wonder why.   I know there are some threads/forums in the Archives here, but not a show by show watch-along.  

@Zella: Have you seen Waltons?   I own Seasons 1-7.    I once had Season 9, but donated it to charity, since I was only interested in the Jennifer Jaison Lee episode,lolol.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Wonkabar5 said:

OT but curious- how many of you watched in real time *The Waltons* as well?   I lived in Pacific Time zone then and show was aired much later at night. I never was able to see it then, lolol. I was also a bit young to fully appreciate it. I was aware of its existence, but that was about it. As an adult who viewed the dvds about 10 years ago, I noticed some plot overlap with LH,lolol. 

That show never really maintained the amount of traction on this board (and the old TWOP?) iirc.  I wonder why.   I know there are some threads/forums in the Archives here, but not a show by show watch-along.  

@Zella: Have you seen Waltons?   I own Seasons 1-7.    I once had Season 9, but donated it to charity, since I was only interested in the Jennifer Jaison Lee episode,lolol.

I have watched all of 1 episode! I have thought about watching it, but I think Imma need a little break from 70s historical fiction TV before jumping in. LOL My impression is the show is less bonkers than LHOTP and perhaps more boring as a result, but I also had no clue how crazy this one was until I actually watched it. Do you think the less bonkers aspect is maybe why it is less popular to discuss? 

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

I agree! It captured not just the struggles of this family for shelter, food and clothing while making their way to a new home and having to work together to make said home from literally the ground up but also both Miss Gilbert and Mr. Landon gave flawless performances as a child and parent wanting to do right by their family!  Yes, the series became broader (and more soapy and corny) quite quickly  and soon ditched 'the books' but nothing can take away from that pilot! 

I wonder how much Landon himself appreciated the pilot movie. It may be his best work as a director, keeping in mind his other directorial efforts were on tv shows which were made in conveyer belt style, more or less. I think he only made one feature film besides his tv work and that one wasn't a very good one, I have heard.

• Love 4

I’m a big Waltons fan, and it’s a much more serious show than LHOTP. The Waltons won 13 Emmys, including Outstanding Drama and multiple acting and writing awards. LHOTP won a few technical Emmys and Melissa Anderson was nominated the year Mary went mline, but that’s it.

If LHOTP had followed the tone set by the pilot movie, it might have competed with The Waltons for critical acclaim. But instead, LHOTP was more of a melodrama and I’d argue was aimed at a younger audience. LHOTP is more fun to post about, because as Zella implied, it’s a kind of bonkers and awfully unrealistic at times. The Waltons went off the rails a bit during its last few seasons, but never as much as Little House did.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I grew up in the 80s, so I was watching LHOTP and Waltons in reruns, but i always found the theme on the Waltons a bit more mature and usually centered around the parents or older boys so I just didn't relate to it as much as Little House.  I should definitely try watching that series now as an adult.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

If you check out The Waltons, my advice is to seek out the first five seasons, when the entire original cast is present. The later seasons are more hit or miss. The last couple of seasons, where John Boy and the grandparents are gone and the parents are only there part time, are forgettable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If you check out The Waltons, my advice is to seek out the first five seasons, when the entire original cast is present. The later seasons are more hit or miss. The last couple of seasons, where John Boy and the grandparents are gone and the parents are only there part time, are forgettable.

Oh Lord it sounds like LHOTP season 9. But maybe with fewer orangutans, bank robbers, wild boys, leukemia cases, forgotten adoptions, and explosions. Bahahahaha 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1